Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I would really just like to see massive WvW cavalry battles where everyone charges on their mount and tries to run the other down…

…and every cc would dismount you, so 5 secs after zergs meet everyone would be on the ground?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sicarios.9480

Sicarios.9480

I’m pretty new to the game, and so far I’m really liking it, however, I don’t understand why mounts are not being implemented into the game.
I understand that flying mounts can be a problem, it prevents player exploration through the world since players can just fly over areas instead of following a path, but what’s wrong with ground mounts?
To me mounts are a really nice part of MMOs, I enjoy saving up gold, or getting achievements to get that cool mount I saw some other guy riding, kind of miss it while I play GW2.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: bexbz.1905

bexbz.1905

lol not again………

Necro Main Forever!
((helping out non-thinkers since 1989))

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

There are mounts. You can buy the broomstick or the flying carpet. With the upcoming expansion, you’ll be able to use gliders in the new zones. If you want to move faster, use the speed boost utility skills, weapon movement skills, or speed boosters. If you want to just collect pretty/cool things, we have mini pets for that; you can buy them on the gem store, the trading post, get them from black lion chests, and get some as achievement rewards.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

I have a third eye for these things. This means I have the arguments covered.

‘hurrr I don’t want this game to be like wow and I liek waypoints so stahp wanting mounts.’

That’s it. No need to read long and pointless thread about it now.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Because we just can’t have fun things if some people are bothered by it apparently.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Because all the mounts have been beaten to death…

We have brooms and carpets that are mountish, really don’t see a need for mounts though.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

It’s a really missed oppertunity imo, mounts are always the best selling cash shop items in any game, they could be making a lot more money with this.

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

People tend to forget the Sonic Tunneling Tool is mountish too.

It’s a really missed oppertunity imo, mounts are always the best selling cash shop items in any game, they could be making a lot more money with this.

But isn’t it ANet’s intention to go out of its way to try to make GW2 Not the same as every other game?

(edited by Yalora Istairiea.6287)

Mounts [merged]

Miku.6297

Can you give examples?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: nathanjameson.3542

nathanjameson.3542

Karma Express – Norn Guardian commander

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

Can you give examples?

WoW, I always see tons of people with the new $25 mount when it comes out, that’s half the price of the expansion, if they sold more of those maby HoT wouldn’t of had to be $50 bucks…

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I’m pretty new to the game, and so far I’m really liking it, however, I don’t understand why mounts are not being implemented into the game.

Clipping issues with capes they said.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

What do you mean, we can’t have them? We do have them. They just don’t give any kind of speed bonus. That’s what speed buffs are for, for short distances, and everything else is connected by waypoints. It’s a different system they chose to use, one that doesn’t require mounts to make map exploration and travel bearable (I’m still not over that kitten blimp from WoW -.-).
I don’t get why the lack of “real” mounts is such a horrible thing for some. If it’s about collecting cool stuff, GW2 has different kinds of collections. The “coolest” just require work instead of just throwing gold at other people, like Luminescent armour, or the Liadri mini.
And if it’s about getting somewhere fast, again, that’s what waypoints are for. There will never be an MMO that has everything.

Besides, HoT will have enemies with mounts, maybe, some day, we’ll get to ride a dragon after all^^

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Mounts [merged]

RoseofGilead.8907

Can you give examples?

WoW, I always see tons of people with the new $25 mount when it comes out, that’s half the price of the expansion, if they sold more of those maby HoT wouldn’t of had to be $50 bucks…

Meanwhile, Anet release a pair of white wings for a back piece on Tuesday. Judging by the vast number of people I see wearing the white wings, I’d say Anet made a good chunk of money that day. Same thing happened when the black wings came out. Any anytime there’s a new outfit, people are buying those up, especially if it’s a good outfit.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Can you give examples?

Meanwhile, Anet release a pair of white wings for a back piece on Tuesday. Judging by the vast number of people I see wearing the white wings, I’d say Anet made a good chunk of money that day. Same thing happened when the black wings came out. Any anytime there’s a new outfit, people are buying those up, especially if it’s a good outfit.

Pretty much. People even buy virtual rocks. Why bother making real mounts and things that take effort when you can sell reskinned items and pet rocks. -_-

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

Why no mounts? Why no challenge+fun for 2 years ++ ? Did you see the hint?

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Mounts [merged]

RoseofGilead.8907

Can you give examples?

Pretty much. People settling for less, hell they’ll even buy virtual rocks. Why bother making mounts and things that take effort when you can sell reskinned items and pet rocks. -_-

As opposed to reskins of the same mounts, like what games with mounts do. My point is Anet makes money with gem store items just fine; adding mounts won’t really change anything as far as that goes. And since this game has waypoints and speed boosts already, we don’t need mounts.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Mounts [merged]

Miku.6297

Wow is 1 example, and the aimed at community/player base is very different… Vert vs hori progression. You are also using a heavily subjective term “tons” to define the amount you see.

We have a gem store, it does fairly well (if it didn’t we wouldn’t be playing). It’s an EXTREME long shot to imply the HoT price tag would be effected by mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

ive always hated the ideas of mounts in this game, and I recently tried ff14 and now I want mounts lol

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Dear Op. This is, as you probablly noticed, gw2 not wow. And i presume you noticed that all across Tyria we have blue shiny floating stones that serve a purpose of teleporting. It served us good for a past 3 years, and it will serve us till game shuts down one day.

If you desire to look fancy af while traveling inbetween waypoints, you can allways buy stuff off tp.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Uki.4725

Uki.4725

I’m sorry, but if your argument against mounts equates to nothing more than “This is GW2 not (insert MMORPG here)…” or “Devs/players don’t want GW2 to be like every other MMORPG” then your argument is invalid.

Let’s look at these simple facts for all of the “innovation” and “difference”: 1.) The experience and advancement system (kill stuff, do quests, get experience, gain a level, get new abilities) is based on a game that’s 40 years old (Dungeons & Dragons). About the only thing they did was add to that base (e.g., crafting xp, exploration xp, etc.). 2.) Magic-using classes wear cloth armor (as in most every other MMORPG out there) while Rogue-y/Ranger-y classes wear leather armor, and warrior/paladin classes wear heavy armor. 3.) The idea of classes themselves (again, looking back 40 years or so)! 4.) The gathering system (Hmmm… have I seen gather plants and mine ores somewhere before?). 5.) The crafting system (Oh, look: Armorer, Weaponsmith, Leatherworker, blah blah blah) which I’ve seen in multiple other MMORPGs before GW2.

I could go on, but I think it’s kind of pointless. The fact is that claiming “don’t wanna be like everybody else” as a reason for not doing something pretty much falls apart when everything else you’re doing is just like everybody else!

That aside, I think mounts would be a brilliant addition to the game as it already has the code to change skills based on weapons you use, tools you interact with in game (arrow carts, trebuchets, etc.), and even forms you take for various hearts and whatnot. Use something similar for riding a mount. A few skill replaces and you’ve introduced a whole new level of combat/play into a game that’s already primed for such a thing.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Schizo.1375

Schizo.1375

I’m sorry, but if your argument against mounts equates to nothing more than “This is GW2 not (insert MMORPG here)…” or “Devs/players don’t want GW2 to be like every other MMORPG” then your argument is invalid.

Let’s look at these simple facts for all of the “innovation” and “difference”: 1.) The experience and advancement system (kill stuff, do quests, get experience, gain a level, get new abilities) is based on a game that’s 40 years old (Dungeons & Dragons). About the only thing they did was add to that base (e.g., crafting xp, exploration xp, etc.). 2.) Magic-using classes wear cloth armor (as in most every other MMORPG out there) while Rogue-y/Ranger-y classes wear leather armor, and warrior/paladin classes wear heavy armor. 3.) The idea of classes themselves (again, looking back 40 years or so)! 4.) The gathering system (Hmmm… have I seen gather plants and mine ores somewhere before?). 5.) The crafting system (Oh, look: Armorer, Weaponsmith, Leatherworker, blah blah blah) which I’ve seen in multiple other MMORPGs before GW2.

I could go on, but I think it’s kind of pointless. The fact is that claiming “don’t wanna be like everybody else” as a reason for not doing something pretty much falls apart when everything else you’re doing is just like everybody else!

That aside, I think mounts would be a brilliant addition to the game as it already has the code to change skills based on weapons you use, tools you interact with in game (arrow carts, trebuchets, etc.), and even forms you take for various hearts and whatnot. Use something similar for riding a mount. A few skill replaces and you’ve introduced a whole new level of combat/play into a game that’s already primed for such a thing.

Yeah but the actual reason we don’t have mounts, and I’m sure this has been brought up already, is that ANet wants us to use waypoints which act as the game’s biggest gold sink.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Can you give examples?

That’s called profits.
There’s no guarantee that that would mean any such thing.
In all likelihood we’d have all just spent 25$ on mounts only to find the expansion came with it at 50$ or more.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Wow, we made it 11 days without a mount thread, that should be a record right?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Uki.4725

Uki.4725

Yeah but the actual reason we don’t have mounts, and I’m sure this has been brought up already, is that ANet wants us to use waypoints which act as the game’s biggest gold sink.

See! Now that’s a legitimate argument! It’s not necessarily one I like, but at least it’s better than “we wanna be different!”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

Any time I think of mounts in MMOs I think of pay to win and “look at me because I have this ridiculous over sized mount.” Mounts in games are designed for faster travel across HUGE worlds that don’t have a way point every 20 yards.

Please no.

IF we get mounts which I pray to Lyssa we do not, then we should take away 90% of the waypoints since all of the maps are designed around way points and easy travel & not allow them in the PvP lobby, WvW and especially NOT in towns since all I can imagine is annoyances like ‘blocking’ the bank, other players to troll them and merchants and only to say look at me look at me. yeah we have alot of customizable armor and people often call gw fashion wars but mounts are in the same category of aestheticism.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

See! Now that’s a legitimate argument! It’s not necessarily one I like, but at least it’s better than “we wanna be different!”

So in other words they could have an upkeep tied to mounts to insure the money sink remains and lets be serious people even if they added mounts WP would still be used just as much, it would just give us the option of staying in game instead of watching a loading screen.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Zevix.1479

Zevix.1479

That poor dead horse….

Have you heard of our Lord and Savior, Waypoint?

Mounts are mostly cosmetic and don’t add to gameplay. Maybe in a minigame, but has no use in pve.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sicarios.9480

Sicarios.9480

That poor dead horse….

Have you heard of our Lord and Savior, Waypoint?

Mounts are mostly cosmetic and don’t add to gameplay. Maybe in a minigame, but has no use in pve.

Who says I want mounts for fast travel? I simply would like to be able to ride a freaking dragon through Tyria.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: xboxer.6785

xboxer.6785

As your map expands it takes longer to get to place to place so i was wondering can we have mounts in gw2 then you can sell exclusive mounts in the store

Mounts [merged]

Miku.6297

Theres a HUGE mount thread where this subject has been beaten to death.

We have waypoints, you an buy custome/item mount toys in the store allready.

Merge please…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fluff Kamisama.3417

Fluff Kamisama.3417

There’s 0 needs for a mount..ever in this game. You need more speed between swiftness, superspeed and fuggen waypoints really??

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

Hello all. I’ve been playing this game for a little while now, and I have an idea I’d like to share. What does the players think about having some type of personal carriage? The idea came to me from using waypoints. There should be an alternative to running and teleporting. We should have a type of vehicle that we can get on, and ride between towns! I look all over forums, and didn’t see anyone with this idea, so I want to share it!

In the story, I see the little girl riding on top of the golem, so the idea was in the game already. Why not let players ride on things too? So please consider my Personal Carriage Transport idea.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

So, basically mounts. There are tons of threads on mounts. Here is the main one.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-merged/

The Burninator

Mounts [merged]

Natto.5819

But it’s not a mount. It’s a Personal Carriage Transport. It’s like a vehicle you can ride on.

Mounts [merged]

RoseofGilead.8907

Which is a mount . . .

Mounts [merged]

Red Queen.7915

There will probably be no traditional mounts. If the idea of walking appals you, you can get a flying broom or carpet from the gemstore for fluff, but they don’t do anything but change the visual effect. You still have to press a button to move. And for long distances, there are asura gates between Lion’s Arch and all major cities, with more to come, judging by the cordoned-off gates in the order headquarters and Fort Trinity.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I think they may more be suggesting something like the wagons in Skyrim, where you payed a fee and it took you to the town you wanted.

Mounts [merged]

Red Queen.7915

I think they may more be suggesting something like the wagons in Skyrim, where you payed a fee and it took you to the town you wanted.

…but that’s exactly what gates do, and they don’t even cost anything.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Mounts [merged]

Natto.5819

Which is a mount . . .

Mounts are animals, like horses and cows. My idea is for a vehicle that you can call out and drive or pilot. The Charr have vehicles and helicopters, so it would be something like that.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

MMO “mounts” are defined differently than being just anmals you ride. Bikes, cars, carriages, planes, train, automobiles, unicycles, yoshis…all class as mounts in these types of games

Mounts [merged]

RoseofGilead.8907

Which is a mount . . .

Mounts are animals, like horses and cows. My idea is for a vehicle that you can call out and drive or pilot. The Charr have vehicles and helicopters, so it would be something like that.

Yeah, vehicles have been and are used in certain games as mounts (specifically called mounts, too); rockets, helicopters, flying carpets (there’s even a flying carpet in GW2), etc.. And what you’re asking for is a personal item that you can ride on (mount) to get from place to place. So, you’re asking for a mount.

Mounts [merged]

Natto.5819

I don’t agree. Mounts are animals or even dragons. If you have a car, I don’t think you call them a Mount. You “get in” a car, you don’t “mount” a car. In WvW, you “get in” a golem, you don’t “mount” a golem.

Mounts [merged]

Miku.6297

I don’t agree. Mounts are animals or even dragons. If you have a car, I don’t think you call them a Mount. You “get in” a car, you don’t “mount” a car. In WvW, you “get in” a golem, you don’t “mount” a golem.

The term in mount in this case, is used to describe any mode of transportation you ride. The term mount is being used to describe a method of transportation that you mount, ride, board, get in, get on, etc.

Mounts [merged]

RoseofGilead.8907

They’re still called mounts in games. It doesn’t really matter what the full, proper definition of the term is; what you’re describing is what most people who know of in-game personal modes of transportation call “mounts”.

Mounts [merged]

Red Queen.7915

Apparently, you are a minority. I mean, we can split hairs here for another five pages, but a mount by any other name will still be a vehicle or creature that allows you to move around in an MMO by means other that your own two (four, six, no…) feet.
From a gameplay standpoint, you want a mount. And there don’t seem to be any plans to get those in GW2 any time soon. We have waypoints going everywhere, that makes mounts next to useless. There is no artificially enormous gameworld here that you can cross more easily with a mount. Why would you need one so badly? Just because you don’t like watching your character walk? We have the carpet and the riding broom for that. Because you don’t want to actually pay attention to the game while traveling between places? That’s what waypoints and gates are for.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

In the MMO AIKA, this is an example of mount: http://images.mmosite.com/news/2009/09/01/aika/dualgunner.jpg

So yeah, your “personal carriage transport” is a mount …

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

There is no reason to leave content out! mounts could be cosmetic and have no impact on game play at all and make the large amount of us that want them happy. I don’t understand the people that are anti because its not like the have to use them and as long as they offer no bonus whats the issue? Better the WP’s any day of the week.