Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

The maps would have to be far larger (and far less content dense) and not as many waypoints in order for us to benefit from mounts.

In which case:
-Starting off as a new player/character would be terribly slow and boring
-Veteran players/those who can afford mounts would be in the same boat as we are currently regarding movement speed

If you want them purely for flavour/aesthetic, we already have a few consumables in game that do that (magic carpet, riding broom, tunneller, any tonic).

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

The maps would have to be far larger (and far less content dense) and not as many waypoints in order for us to benefit from mounts.

In which case:
-Starting off as a new player/character would be terribly slow and boring
-Veteran players/those who can afford mounts would be in the same boat as we are currently regarding movement speed

If you want them purely for flavour/aesthetic, we already have a few consumables in game that do that (magic carpet, riding broom, tunneller, any tonic).

“The maps would have to be far larger (and far less content dense) and not as many waypoints in order for us to benefit from mounts.”
Even without mounts as reason I would love to see more maps like this.. I have always loved those big open maps with a lot of nothing, and then in the distance a small house where.. Then you go there and that’s where there is stuff to do. Gives more the feeling of the big open world.. Waypoints also take away from that feeling. Main problem in GW2 for mounts is the fact that all maps are instances, so you would be driving form loading screen to loading screen.

That is likely also the reason why they introduce them first in WvW as you stay in the same map most of the time anyway, while in PvE they introduce the glider mounts what more fits with the horizontal maps.

HoT is all about dense maps, maybe the next expansion is more about open maps and then we might see the ground mounts also being introduced there.. who knows.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I want to craft a bicycle.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

The enemy gets mounts and we dont Clap Clap Clap

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mordrem_Guard_Cavalier

Attachments:

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You get to fly and they don’t.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

The mounted enemy is one model, not an actor riding another actor. They don’t have a mechanic in the game for it. All they did is add a new type of enemy, and IMHO it’s really cool. Don’t give negative feedback in an awesome new type of enemy design

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The mounted enemy is one model, not an actor riding another actor. They don’t have a mechanic in the game for it. All they did is add a new type of enemy, and IMHO it’s really cool. Don’t give negative feedback in an awesome new type of enemy design

Well, certain cavaliers (like the one in that first story instance for the beta) can be knocked off their mounts, leaving both the mount and the rider to attack. But yeah, the other ones stay mounted the whole time and are one unit.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Well, certain cavaliers (like the one in that first story instance for the beta) can be knocked off their mounts, leaving both the mount and the rider to attack.

That actually unloads the mounted mob, and loads mount and unmounted cavalier. A similar mechanic, for example, to one where a big ooze splits into two smaller ones. There’s no point where one mob would be mounted on another.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

And by the same token, we HAVE mounts. Siege Golems and Siege Devourers in WvW and the silverwastes.

They’re functionally transformations, which is how it works for the enemies as well.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

They got that from GW1 Prophecies.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dagnar_Stonepate
Miniature Dagnar Stonepate is a miniature version of Dagnar Stonepate on his mount.
And he had a mount before wow did.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

We had some mobs like that on gw1 also.

: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_of_dolyak_bosses

:o 5 man farm….just remembered of that.. later adopted to 3 and players only.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

God i miss farming greens.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You get to fly and they don’t.

But there are a ton of enemies that can fly, just not that specific one.

Well, certain cavaliers (like the one in that first story instance for the beta) can be knocked off their mounts, leaving both the mount and the rider to attack. But yeah, the other ones stay mounted the whole time and are one unit.

It’s called a model. And I can tell just by looking at them those are in fact two models with synced animations, especially because that would just be ridiculous and add unnecessary difficulty as one model. Probably two different rigs even, but can’t say for sure on that one without playing with the rig myself.

And as for you, GW2 launched with the technology to have mounts, quit fabricating nonsense to get cool points with the antimount hipsters.

There are two ways to animate and rig in video games, one is prerendering, basically the animations are baked out and when the game queues them up they play from start to finish without any ability to be modified or changed in live action. Most games go this way because its easy and saves on resources, even though it has huge drawbacks. The two biggest examples being ‘super armor’ frames and not being able to control your movement while there is an animation queued up. The important thing to note in this situation is that while it is possible to have two rigs work off each other, its difficult, and will carry over the same issues that one model has to two, and it will never look as good as the second method.

The second way is with a rigging engine, basically the game creates a setup of points and lines that move joints and maintain straights based on how the character moves, and then the engine acts on those points when an action is queued up. You can take this even farther, and create single models which have multiple rigs that can operate independently of each other. And this is how GW2 characters are made, there is an upper and lower body rig that allows us to control the upper body by swiveling our vision, while still allowing us to move our lower body to control our movement. This method, while much more resource intensive and taking much more engine development, makes rigging interactions between two models much more simple and organic. You basically just animate both characters together like you would any action by themselves.

Ipso facto, the tech for mounts is already there, ANet just doesn’t want to make mounts. Which I don’t really mind personally, WoW is the only game I’ve ever got a mount in, and I hated that game. But this isn’t WoW, and ANet could make mounts an awesome addition to the game; or they could totally screw it up in every way imaginable. No telling until they day that decide to make them, if they ever do.

But what I can’t abide by regardless of that fact, are people who think its so important to dump on what other people enjoy and hope for that they will fabricate lies about a subject they know diddly squat about just for the opportunity to do so, like the majority of the anti mount clique.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

Yeah, it really is a big troll. I mean I don’t see any real reason for mounts personally but I wouldn’t be opposed to them as they wouldn’t do any actual harm. Also it would be another thing for me to work towards collecting them all.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

collecting mounts would be much better than collecting minis.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

collecting mounts would be much better than collecting minis.

I agree. The minis bore me. They too real looking for a pet.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Ride a Charr for mount.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RavenRecoil.6103

RavenRecoil.6103

Yep its coming up again. And no I don’t want to play World of Warcraft. I’m a long time guild wars fan.

I find it odd we can have magic carpets and witch brooms but no traditional mount.. don’t get me wrong I love the game mechanics and the ability to way point. I’m not saying take that out in order to give us mounts.

Back in vanilla WoW mounts were essential for getting around. The game was designed to be a time sink to keep you playing and paying. But for us mounts would not be essential but more for looks and cool factor. And that’s what gw2 is all about. We are all about the no endless gear grind but unique skins. This game is a “fashion show”.

I think mounts would be so fun. They can do skins just like the hang gliders. I would love to drive a mechanical beast with my charr.

I am a hardcore casual player at best!!
Always up wind from my prey. I want them to smell my farts!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I suppose there is no harm adding in mount equivalents so long as they don’t provide any obvious benefits other than just for the fun of riding something. If I recall, mounts exist in MMOs like WoW because they are needed to traverse terrain much quicker when compared to going afoot.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Been a while since I got to use this…

Attachments:

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Mounts [merged]

RavenRecoil.6103

Yes mounts in wow were for getting from point A to B much quicker. We don’t need them for that reason. We can way point. I just want them for fun. Just like mini pets and all the other fun stuff in the game. I would like them to give a speed bonus though. Maybe mounts cannot be used in WvW or pvp and only pve. Once taken so much damage it will force you off the mount and into combat in pve. The mobs in HoT are on mounts. We are getting gliders this expansion. Maybe mounts next expansion?!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I am really curious if Anet will someday really give in to these mount complains, and Colin comes to the desk with a lobster red head, screaming in the microphone:
“OK, HERE ARE YOUR SHINY HORSES, COMPLETELY WITH A STABLE BESIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE! HAPPY NOW? ANYTHING ELSE WE CAN DO FOR YOU?”

That would be awesome.^^

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

It would be even better if he flipped the switch on the server too if they ever put mounts in GW2.

We need a Linux client before we need mounts.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Death, taxes, and mounts threads.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I want the ability to float in the air like a Mursaat.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

… takes drink …

marks Forum Bingo card

waits for the merge

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

We will never get mounts. End of story

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Yep its coming up again. And no I don’t want to play World of Warcraft. I’m a long time guild wars fan.

I find it odd we can have magic carpets and witch brooms but no traditional mount.. don’t get me wrong I love the game mechanics and the ability to way point. I’m not saying take that out in order to give us mounts.

Back in vanilla WoW mounts were essential for getting around. The game was designed to be a time sink to keep you playing and paying. But for us mounts would not be essential but more for looks and cool factor. And that’s what gw2 is all about. We are all about the no endless gear grind but unique skins. This game is a “fashion show”.

I think mounts would be so fun. They can do skins just like the hang gliders. I would love to drive a mechanical beast with my charr.

So get up a collection of Minis and have your fashion show

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Everybody knows that the real reason you cant have mounts is:

Capes.

Cape introduction has been delayed since forever because there are so many clipping issues, especially with charrs. There will be even more clipping issues with capes and mounts, so right now, Anet is contemplating wether to introduce capes or mounts.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Well, that sentence is just wrong. You surely want to play World of Warcraft.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Some of the mordrem have mounts. When they get low on health, the mount eats their rider and finishes the fight solo.

They are really cool looking mounts, though.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Why does everyone associate mounts with World of Warcraft specifically? They existed in MMOs, single-player RPGs and even pen and paper RPGs long before WoW was even thought of. The idea is probably as old as the genre.

And for what it’s worth not putting mounts in WoW would have been extremely strange after they were an important part of all 3 preceding RTS games. (Although they seemed quite willing to twist the rest of the lore, or completely re-write it, to suit their needs.)

Having said that I agree with the people saying we don’t need mounts in GW2 because waypoints and/or movement speed buffs do the job perfectly well. Never played WoW but I absolutely would not have wanted to try to get around Ultima Online without a horse (or even better a llama) but never miss it in GW2.

But I also agree with the people saying they could be a fun cosmetic option. What can I say? I’m a girl, I work with animals in real life, main a ranger and collect mini pets. Of course I’d get a cosmetic mount if it was an option.

They could work like the riding broom and magic carpet do currently – no effect on your movement speed, out of combat use only and they disappear when not in use. The only problem I can see is that to be in any way realistic they’d have to be quite big – a horse is about as tall as a human and about 3 times as long (as an upright human), and horses don’t exist in Tyria (at least none of the places we’ve seen). The alternatives are likely to be bigger. Which could cause a lot of crowding and even more lag in busy areas. Even if they don’t work in cities imagine waiting for a world boss and everyone is sat on dolyaks, drakes, moa etc…..

Having said all that I do think it’s a rather pointless discussion. Anet have been aware since at least the release of GW1 that some people want and expect mounts in an MMO and they’ve chosen not to include them. I can’t see them changing their minds now.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Unless we were given the ability to keybind objects its moot for me. I have alot of fun things like the carpet, broom, transforms etc. in my bags that I rarely use unless I’m w8ting for a world boss or slow people in a dungeon. In it’s current form these items are unwieldy. Have to have bags permanently open, then revert to becoming a clicker player just to use them frequently.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

We will never get mounts. End of story

I mean, ya know, except for the mounts listed in the very title of the thread this is posted in…

Sorry rabid WoW haters. GW2 has purely cosmetic mounts and there’s nothing wrong with wanting more options.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

If GW2 is to get mounts, can I have a Segway.
At least for Asuras.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

I just want them for fun. Just like mini pets and all the other fun stuff in the game. I would like them to give a speed bonus though.

Now there is the ultimate expression of modern MMO attitude.

I ONLY want this for cosmetic purposes. Also, the item should make me move faster…

lol

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

If GW2 is to get mounts, can I have a Segway.
At least for Asuras.

and hoverboards pls

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I’ll be honest. I don’t see traditional mounts (horses) fiting in Tyria. It just doesn’t suit the style of the game and the artistic way of drawing.

I think it would be interesting to see other type of mounts (charr motorcycle ftw!).
But as others said, it has to be cosmetic only and no speedboost.
The main point is that the current mounts didn’t sell too well and aren’t used a lot. So that is an indication that it might not be worth the development time.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

On one hand I think mounts would be quite cool… for a week or two. Then, after the novelty wears off, the other side of the coin shows itself. You’ll visit a trader/vendor/popular NPC, and hey, a hundred dolyak riding norn with angel wings are stacked on top of it. Especially considering that some races are quite large, the visual clutter would be insane.

I’ve always thought that GW2 was really elegant looking, partly due to the absence of mounts that overlap everything. And as a special mention, I hope that even if mounts are added one day, something obnoxious like ‘charr motorcycles’ will never ever be a thing. :P

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

Man, that dead horse is looking awfully beaten. It’s dead, let it be.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Mounts [merged]

Zaron.1987

Man, that dead horse is looking awfully beaten. It’s dead, let it be.

You said horse, okay a dead horse but its still a horse . hores → mount <3

seriously i cant remember there were so many silly we want mounts threads before f2p.

it was bad before yes but not that bad.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I honestly dont get why people are so against cosmetic only mounts. They are in the game already. Noone complains about the existing ones, why is more variety such a problem.

Mounts [merged]

Zaron.1987

I honestly dont get why people are so against cosmetic only mounts. They are in the game already. Noone complains about the existing ones, why is more variety such a problem.

cause of this

the people dont want cosmetic ones only.
the people that want cosmetic ones only are a very very small part.
most of the “we want mounts fraction” is this
one:

I just want them for fun. Just like mini pets and all the other fun stuff in the game. I would like them to give a speed bonus though.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

cause of this

the people dont want cosmetic ones only.
the people that want cosmetic ones only are a very very small part.
most of the “we want mounts fraction” is this
one:

Personally I would love more cosmetic only mounts. And i dont want to see speed boosts. It disappoints me that im grouped into the same category as my voice gets drowned out and its unlikely ill ever see more cosmetic mounts. There is too much controversy over a stupid detail like a speed boost which puts anet off even touching anything mount related.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

The only reason I don’t want mounts is because the playerzone will become a zoo. I want to look at the players, seeing their style, and not at some animals. WoW was full of them, and the city was pretty ugly because of it. Many of them were oversized too.
Only accept this if there is some form of toggle on/off for it.

Mounts [merged]

Zaron.1987

The only reason I don’t want mounts is because the playerzone will become a zoo. I want to look at the players, seeing their style, and not at some animals. WoW was full of them, and the city was pretty ugly because of it. Many of them were oversized too.
Only accept this if there is some form of toggle on/off for it.

togle off—→ character riding two meters over the ground on some invisible

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

We do have mounts, carpets and brooms, what’s the problem?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

The game absolutely needs out of combat speed skills.
Not talking about a mount in the traditional form of horses,cows,dragons etc.
That wouldn’t fit with the game.
But otoh,I find it lame that in many cases I ‘pollute’ my combat build with speed
increase traits/utilities that I wouldn’t otherwise use,just to compensate for the
lack of ‘mounts’.
The need for increased out of combat speed is there and it will always be there,
no matter how innovative you try to be.
What we have now is the equivalent of a game having just mounts and no fast
travel method at all
When you think mounts in GW2 don’t think horses,but anything from simply a skill
that you can activate only when out of combat,or an effect like the levitate mount in
Rift,or a jet pack,a hoverboard etc etc.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

(edited by Aenaos.8160)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Javonovich.5280

Javonovich.5280

When ANET can consistently make some armor that doesn’t clip/stretch, along with some decent-looking outfits (especially for Charr), ONLY THEN will I trust them to make cosmetic-only mounts that don’t further clutter the world.

Mounts [merged]

RavenRecoil.6103

I find it very interesting how divided the GW2 community is on this subject. I would never want mounts if that means taking away our way of travel. But I welcome them as a new way of travel and fun factor. At least I think it would be fun.

So some are okay with mounts without speed bonus. But opposed if it does. What is wrong with a mount giving speed bonus in pve out of combat? I have a signet that gives me 25% passive speed bonus. Kind of the same thing. I don’t feel it would give me an unfair advantage or make me miss seeing the world they spent so much time developing. I already run at that speed. I have heard some people making this concern.