Here is why Guild Wars 2 needs Mounts

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

it’s still relatively fresh for a dead horse.

Not much of it left (drinks)

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Drink!!!!

No mounts please!!!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hawk.3574

Hawk.3574

If we really need mounts added to all maps just change it so a select group of mini pets become mounts. Change the size of the character to fit the mini(so shrink the character) and give them no speed boost or skills then make it like tonics so when in combat you are dismounted.

But if they want to make a map designed for mounts that could work, like a flying map or underwater, but not every map in existence needs them. And the main cities should always have them banned if they are ever added, unless in mini form.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Everyone take a shot!! drinks

I’m already on my third liver. Oh, and kidneys grow back, don’t they??

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I really want a go-kart.
I’m picturing that you craft it and it requires more than a few watchwork sprockets. you get in it, get perma swiftness (so no significant speed boost), and drive it around. If you are attacked while in it, it takes damage instead of you (like in a golem). once it’s destroyed, it’s gone and you have to make a new one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

If the waypoints were less and even more spread out like outposts were in original Guild Wars, I might have agreed.

But now, no.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Must use waypoints.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Thread #24815 regarding mounts. This will surely be the one to change it all!

All hail thread # 24815!

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Quaggan doesn’t want to be ridden!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

its a needed thing even back in the midevil times mounts is needed for long distant journeys.

Ya, i mean yes – literally everyone (and i’m talking EVERYONE) had a horse back in ‘ye olde’ medieval times.
Alright…maybe not everyone…and maybe not horses as such…but they did have a pony – shanks’s pony – and that, my friend, is what you’ve got in GW2.
Be grateful.
/sheesh

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, thanks. I’m sure there would then be 1000 threads on some kind of clipping issue.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

its a needed thing even back in the midevil times mounts is needed for long distant journeys.

Ya, i mean yes – literally everyone (and i’m talking EVERYONE) had a horse back in ‘ye olde’ medieval times.
Alright…maybe not everyone…and maybe not horses as such…but they did have a pony – shanks’s pony – and that, my friend, is what you’ve got in GW2.
Be grateful.
/sheesh

I’m sure people had Asura gates and waypoints back in dem ol’ days with swords ’n magic ’n dragons ’n stuff!

Freakin’ medieval people playing around in their Super Adventure Boxes all day long!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Thank you for this thread. It made my mood feel more better.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fenrir.6183

Fenrir.6183

Why have mounts when we have a bazillion waypoints ?
The waypoints really kill the purpose of mounts…in other games there is much more focus on actually moving your character around the maps rather than instantly teleporting, so mounts make sense… In gw2,not so much.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

There are WPs & speed boosts everywhere & clearly you know nothing of GW lore.
The maps arent even BIG enough for a mount

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Mounts would be fantastic. Sadly, the only people left on the forums are the hard-liners who think that nothing new will improve this game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

the only people left on the forums are the hard-liners who think that nothing new will improve this game.

Your such a hard-liner.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Celiea.3461

Celiea.3461

Oh dam I may have stured up some mean people :S but I did made a point on the wrong way. But I am really saddened that Arena hasn’t added the mounts but from all that running made ya think man all that running around would make ya feet hurt. :S

If everyone enjoys running around all day everyday. But it dose kinda ruin the realism of the old times were theirs no mounts for this game. If Arena dose actually puts those mounts in what I want to drive is those nice 2 wheel tanks that the charrs have now those are awesome.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

there you go……

Attachments:

Gunnar’s Hold

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Quaggan doesn’t want to be ridden!

Save a horse, ride a quaggan!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

buy a broom or tunnel machine.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

mounts are not needed but they would be a fun addition even if for just cosmetic reasons and for rp.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

The Norn love seeing threads like this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

From a new player’s perspective, watching people run around on mounts would probably be far more entertaining than having drop zergs come out of nowhere and then vanish. Without waypoints, you’d actually get to see people travelling places.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DayLight.9603

DayLight.9603

I want a Sylvari Hound for my Sylvari Mesmer. She would look so incredibly cute riding one!

Sylvari for life. <3

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I want a Sylvari Hound for my Sylvari Mesmer. She would look so incredibly cute riding one!

Knowing other games, some of these mounts would have to be available to ALL races or else the peeps would be upset. So you’d have a Charr or a Norn riding a tiny Sylvari hound and……………………………………………………………………………..sorry, I just dropped dead from the amount of laughter caused by that mental image for a minute.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: BlackyWarsX.5384

BlackyWarsX.5384

I wouldn’t mind a Dolyak as an inventory enhancement… much like the Miols in Aion :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nate Anabe.6091

Nate Anabe.6091

snore

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
—Napoleon Bonaparte

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

The Norn love seeing threads like this.

The Norn get to ride Broodmothers.

Valar Morghulis

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I am only OK with mounts as follows:

1. No increase in speed.
2. No combat usage.
3. No increase in speed.
4. Must have craftable options.
5. No increase in speed.
6. Must be in achievement panel once acquired.
7. NO INCREASE IN SPEED!

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

I am only OK with mounts as follows:

1. No increase in speed.
2. No combat usage.
3. No increase in speed.
4. Must have craftable options.
5. No increase in speed.
6. Must be in achievement panel once acquired.
7. NO INCREASE IN SPEED!

I’d say 25% movement speed. Most classes have that option anyway. The majority of people would still be outrunning mounts with swiftness.

Valar Morghulis

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

uhmm, i really don’t care about the lore part, it’s still breaks immersion.
what’s more immersive:

• teleport everywhere in a magical way
  • ride to your destination on a mount

ill go for the mount any day.

For something to break immersion it would have to not fit into the world. And thus would have to in some way or form, break lore. Which WPs don’t do.

i play skyrim with the most lore breaking armors you can think of yet i don’t quick travel, it’s about immersing in the world and waypoints are the exact opposite.

I think people lose track of the point of this argument. Walking through an environment rather than teleporting is indeed more immersive. Riding through the environment on a mount is more immersive than WPing through it. However, riding faster than normal diminishes that environment. If you can get from point A to point B faster on a mount, it makes the space in between effectively smaller. Anet didn’t craft these beautiful environments for us to just speed past them on a mount, or fly over them. A mountain is less imposing when you can ride around it faster, or even fly right over it. So what is the point of the mountain if it is made meaningless by a mount? If a mount moves 30% faster than walking, then Anet would have to make the world 30% bigger to compensate, otherwise the world would effectively shrink. That’s 30% more work that doesn’t even need to be done.

BEFORE YOU SAY WPS ARE WORSE:

What about the part where you haven’t actually BEEN TO the WP in question yet? You can’t WP somewhere until you have walked there and unlocked the WP. Even then, there are still many mountains, rivers, valleys, and caves in between each WP that would be diminished by mounts.

Anyway, if they were to add mounts, they would need to remove the WP system because it would be totally redundant. Not to mention we already have runes, signets, swiftness, blink, shadowstep, portal, and leap abilities to move us around faster. The only thing a mount would truly add to the game is one more type of vanity to pursue. If that’s all you want, then fine, bring on the broomsticks and tunnel drills. Mounts with speed and flying buffs would break many of the things Anet worked very hard to create.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

Mounts? No sir, I don’t want a mount.

I want an airship. My own airship that doubles as my home instance.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Beyond the grotesque pay-to-win being suggested here, we’re back to raw, naked Power Creep.

You can go faster. You can go faster forever. But it comes with a cost – one of your utility slots eaten by a Signet if you’re in one of the lucky classes that has the option, or all 6 of your Rune slots.

Anything that gives the same benefits with no drawbacks is going to wreck the balances already in play.

You want speed? Pay the price. It’s there and has been since launch in most cases. You just don’t want it enough.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

(edited by Nike.2631)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’d freaking love to ride with my Thief on such a mount like that, especially when its also usable in combat to fight with my thiefs shortbow, while riding it like seen here:

(I suggest everyone to watch the full trailer, but the riding mount comes more near the end of the trailer

The short mount sequence starts at around nearly Minute 7, when the trailer changes to the awesome heroic looking cute female character.

I hope that this game gets soon a release date, currently its more a ghost in the net and besides this trailer sadly exists nothing.
If I could go with my mount on a hunt (raid) like this in a special made for that kind of gameplay-map in GW2

T.T

I’d cry tears of luck

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

wrong game, this is more a justified way to show mount goodness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i75VWqBCWc0
it has mounts, it has a superior lustful world (better then GW2 but then again, skyrim is already allot better so no surprise there) and has so much RP potential.

ill just wait and see, eventually ppl will ether move away from this game or use it as a time waster.
there is no immersion in this game, just some cheap traveling or running around.
the battle system doesn’t work with the target system, the events are nothing more then zerg fests and the fanboys are way to hypnotized with flawed mechanisms.
ill see when this game becomes a grave, a place for zombies who love everything Anet does, an example on how not to make a game.
ill see when this game has duels, areas filled with selfish players who want everything they want but ban everything they don’t want.

fact: more and more players leave GW2
fact 2: players who never played GW1 but now bought it like it allot more then GW2

ps. i know you’re gonna cry to Anet how much a meany i am or how much this is BS, go ahead, delude your self.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

fact: more and more players leave GW2.

Hopefully all the ones that want mounts.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Fly isn’t a problem. Its more like gliding. Not real flying as in AION, where the map structures aren’t blocky.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”