NPE Feedback [Merged] - Please read 1st post

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

And now with no more low level champ farm, and the key farm nerf, the starter zones are basically abandoned except during the time of the world bosses (SB, Maw, Jungle).

Sure the NPE is attractive to new players at first, but when the new players hear about what happened and all the things that the veterans have unlocked effortlessly, they will get bored or jealous and quit.

Even for the veteran like me it’s pretty bad. Today I decided to give the NPE another chance and took out my level 35 charr engineer. It took me over an hour to get to lv 36 and I was doing thing pretty efficiently, hitting events as fast as I could. Sure an hour isn’t that bad yes? But it’s pretty bad if you are playing alone in empty zones. Why bother? I could just take out my 80s and play or if I want to play alone I could just fire up Skyrim.

It will be evident that the NPE is failing soon.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And now with no more low level champ farm, and the key farm nerf, the starter zones are basically abandoned except during the time of the world bosses (SB, Maw, Jungle).

Sure the NPE is attractive to new players at first, but when the new players hear about what happened and all the things that the veterans have unlocked effortlessly, they will get bored or jealous and quit.

Even for the veteran like me it’s pretty bad. Today I decided to give the NPE another chance and took out my level 35 charr engineer. It took me over an hour to get to lv 36 and I was doing thing pretty efficiently, hitting events as fast as I could. Sure an hour isn’t that bad yes? But it’s pretty bad if you are playing alone in empty zones. Why bother? I could just take out my 80s and play or if I want to play alone I could just fire up Skyrim.

I’m betting that most new players will never hear about it. Most people don’t “follow” games on forums, or many don’t even read map chat.

And people won’t be talking about this for years. They’re be talking about it for weeks, maybe. Already most of the map chatter about it has died down.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

No changes were made to the leveling curve after level 15. The NPE mostly effects levels 1-15. So you did not try the NPE.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

@Vayne
That is problem for that players. If you skip tutorial in a game you dont know how to play this is only your fault. The devs give you tools, and if you dont want to use them then be ready for consequesnces.

Also there is not a single reason to NOT make a tutorial and a tutorial section of the game should be THE best part of the game.

Gating things is not the answer. Teaching how to use tools you gain is a way. Giving more solution for the problems is the way. Not striping us from the tools.

Actually it’s a problem for the devs. If a player skips the tutorial and leaves the game, it doesn’t help the game. Sure it’s his fault, but it’s Anet’s problem. That’s the problem in a nutshell. More people need to stay after starting.

Just make it so you can not skip the tutorial on your first character and make it a fun experience.

Game devs need to learn to accept that maybe their game is a niche experience and it just won’t appeal to everyone. Then they need to realize that after 2 years that probably 90% of the players that will play your game are already playing. Then they need to give those players that are playing their game what they want so that they will not get bored. Many players have asked for certain things and instead we have gotten an NPE. Just like with SOE the NPE is not what the players asked for. All you are doing is hurting your game. The players want more dev time put into new pvp, wvw, dungeons, weapons, pve, classes, skills, traits, and world bosses. Pretty much more of what you gave us at launch.

I don’t understand why that’s such a difficult task and why dev time goes in to anything else. The people that will play your game already are and they want more of it. They don’t want it changed in to something else.

(edited by Lobo Dela Noche.5127)

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

OK. Well, since I didn’t see if there was going to be a more focused thread with/for feedback on the system I will write out my take on the system as it stands right now and hope it gets heard/read here and just assume that is the route Anet is taking on this one:

Up front info – I currently have my test engie up to level 49 and just completed the level 40 story step.

Early Leveling 1-10

Certain changes have since been made to certain things regarding this part of the experience (skill points, etc), but I will comment on them from the perspective of a player coming into it for the first time. The leveling is fairly fast and the tips in the awards window could use both some polishing on the wording so as to not confuse new players about what is actually locked/unlocked or what they are just being made aware of at a given level. I’ve also mentioned before that it is very easy to just click that window closed before ever realizing that the items in that window are clickable for more info. The rewards during leveling here are some nice new additions for starter players as far as I could tell and the level up rewards window is a good change over all IMO.

Although most fights were fairly easy, there were a few times where it was only my knowledge of engie that was able to keep me alive with the limited skills/utilities that I had. Also, the downed state having level gated skills and a complete lack of a tutorial is going to frustrate new players more than just having a downed state in the first place.

Levels 11-20

Mostly flew by for me, and map opening was a breeze, but then again it was never really an issue at this stage. I relaized during this time that had i been playing, say a thief, as a beginning player, that the skill unlocks for all the weapon combos would have been a touch vexxing to learn the nuances of as compared to the old system. i would have been quite confused about everything from the dual skills to weapon swapping and was glad i was running this test on an engie.

Levels 21-30

Now in a groove I start contemplating things like the dungeons and the Personal Story. How are they going to mesh? The game still alerts me to when AC opens to me, but my intro to why I’d want to or “need” to do the story mission hasn’t come up by this point. It was also somewhere in here that my game glitched with the bundle glitch and I ended up with my remaining utilities and my elite. i mention this because I found myself in situations due to the power hills and valleys the new leveling system creates, that i would have categorically died during had I not had the mistfire wolves to do that extra damage, or those other utilies to increase my chances of survival. Read that last part again. Had the game not glitched in my favor, I would have been less able to play certain areas I was in without dying. I can’t imagine a new player with everything working as planned enjoying that experience of repeated deaths after feeling like nothing could touch them.

Levels 31-40

By this point things are now feeling like “normal” for me. Leveling up rewards are still a nice touch. Dungeons and PS are still not syncing. Goggles broken again for players. Trait acquistion is still going to be an utter nightmare for players. Not so much for people first opening the map and exploring every corner of the world, but definitely on their second toon and 100% definitely for anyone running an alt.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

It sounds like you’re a young kid, so I’ll understand if you don’t quite understand this concept yet. The next presidential election is coming up in two years. Pay attention around then, you’ll see what I’m talking about with polls being inaccurate.

Yes late on this but only now I could reach that post. No, I’m not a child. I’m almost thirty and I know how that things works. I know that polls are inaccurate and hardly reflects the final result, but as I said they aren’t completely invalid, it still could give some clue about what people are thinking about things. And yes, I get what you mean after all. By the way, elections is coming up to my country this year then it’s being a recurrent subject here right now :P

Posted by: FathomsDeep.1036

FathomsDeep.1036

Tons seem to be being said about the “NPE” but I have to wonder who the test “new players” were they were working with to give the devs the idea that nerfing virtually everything was going to somehow ENHANCE a new player’s experience. Sorry. I AM a relatively new player. I’ve wrangled one character to 80, only just, and when I play, I actually don’t like to rush to level. I do in fact like to take my time, and immerse in the content surrounding me, explore areas, play side materials, play with my abilities, etc. One of the things I greatly enjoyed about GW2 from the start was the ability to take on challenges at my own risk, to push forward as quickly as I felt a need to, and to drag my feet and take my time when I wanted to as well.

With the current changes- and even worse, the explanations for those changes, I feel as if the devs are suggesting that new players don’t even WANT options, powers, abilities- that we’re somehow window-licking nerbs who all need to be given the BIG BUTTONS version of the game or else we’ll freak out and leave because… “omg- it’s all too confusing!” Seriously? What the heck, devs? I can’t speak for ALL new players, but I can tell you this has done nothing but annoy and damage my experience.

(And btw- goggles are broken from the top down as well as from the bottom up. Low levels are nerfed from using them, and high levels are over-gated, and apparently not allowed to go back. Not sure where I should post that info, in case nobody’s figured it out yet…)

Posted by: aop.6052

aop.6052

The team is open to suggestions.

Yeah right, you even closed down the entire Suggestions forum.

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

This is more “new character experience” see personally i don’t want to explore the whole world over and over again on each of my classes(or professions) and i tend to level them in WvW.

See previously there was no negative part on leveling a character in WvW, however now if you do you won’t get your traits unlocked via a tome you just buy, if you want “alternatively” you can buy each individual trait priced and over TEN TIMES what it used to cost + skill points that you now have to spend as well.

It’s a very restricting experience for new characters, as well as not getting a skill point per level till LVL80 we get them all every X levels, meaning there is less to look out for, as many of us spend the points as we get them.

In some ways the system has improved but the the negatives far out weight the positives

shadow.6174

In some ways the system has improved but the the negatives far out weight the positives

It summarizes in some way what I feel about the changes too, not NPE only but overall. The bad changes regarding NPE has kind of overshadowed the nice things added in the latest patch…

(And btw- goggles are broken from the top down as well as from the bottom up. Low levels are nerfed from using them, and high levels are over-gated, and apparently not allowed to go back. Not sure where I should post that info, in case nobody’s figured it out yet…)

Yes, I have just noted that while exploring Malchor’s Leap. See attached pic.

Attachments:

Vayne.8563

The team is open to suggestions.

Yeah right, you even closed down the entire Suggestions forum.

Sure they did. Because they said that suggestions made more sense to be in the forums they’re appropriate for where more people would see them who were interested in them. It makes sense, since many, if not most people, never went to the suggestion forums.

Putting the idea out front and center, instead of burying it on a forum most people didn’t go to was a smart move, not a bad one.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Not that I am bugging the devs or anything but any word related to the fixing of the Personal Story or anything?

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

And people won’t be talking about this for years. They’re be talking about it for weeks, maybe. Already most of the map chatter about it has died down.

That may be because most have already said their piece. Not everyone is compelled to repeat their position in every thread about a topic that they’ve already addressed. I stated my feelings about the NPE in one thread and it is far down on the forum. However, my opinions about the NPE have not changed.

The volume of complaints do mean something. And that a significant of the forum population expressed so much dissatisfaction should not be ignored.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

That may be because most have already said their piece. Not everyone is compelled to repeat their position in every thread about a topic that they’ve already addressed. I stated my feelings about the NPE in one thread and it is far down on the forum. However, my opinions about the NPE have not changed.

The volume of complaints do mean something. And that a significant of the forum population expressed so much dissatisfaction should not be ignored.

Actually the volume of complaints on forums means absolutely nothing.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Vayne.8563

Most people did say their piece…before Anet made changes to the system in response to that piece. Most people didn’t say their piece after that.

Sure there are some people who don’t like it still, but even the one guy in my guild who walked away is back playing again since that change.

He’s definitely not a fan of it, but now he can live with it.

So yeah, those most enraged by it might still be enraged, but there are definitely those who have since accepted it.

Posted by: Sir Egil The Bull.7869

Sir Egil The Bull.7869

What ever happened to making a game that’s fun to play? Wasn’t that the goal back in 2012? Why did this change?

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

1. Return Edna’s apple pies, or food buffs in general. I can understand if recipe sheets were removed, as it deals with crafting, and that would take some time to learn, but the pies shouldn’t be a problem.

2. Return bundles, or anything relating to it. It was one of the icings on the cake for this game. I’ve hard golem chess got removed, and goggles are closed off until level 7, etc. that’s going a bit too far in my opinion. If it is confusing, have a little note bubble informing the player they just equipped a bundle, and they can unequipp by using the weapon swap button.

3. Lower the level requirements for skills to stop at 30, when most people will get their elite skills.

4. Return f1-f4 skills, or at least introduce them earlier, perhaps lvl 3-4, with a little explanation of what each class can use the skills for.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Malkavian.4516

Correction: volume of complaints that are uncivil (whines, threats, slanderious) mean nothing as it expresses unsatisfaction from the playerbase with very minimal opportunities to find a solution to remedy the problem leaving the developers to guess on the way to remedy this. And despite them being the devs for this game, keep in mind that they can only think of so much to fix this. I have complained about a Personal Story change here and a few days later, I saw this thread.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Xehanort.4589

Xehanort.4589

I like the NPE, the only thing I would like they reverted is the way they made the heart quests idiotproof (if only this could be done, I wouldn’t hate them for making queensdale a theme park for babies).

Posted by: Sir Egil The Bull.7869

Sir Egil The Bull.7869

The new player experience is great up until Level 20, as long as I use a scroll.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Please just keep this “feature” to new accounts instead of mindlessly putting it on new characters.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Scellenia.4952

Scellenia.4952

I did a test tonight : start a character for to see what was enough important for you for to totally break my fun at game.

1 —- 10 : I did it in WvWvW because you know killing lvl 3 spider/bandit isn’t fun, specially when your Radar say to you what you have to do.

Of course , so much fun to have 1 spell or 2 , even when on the ground because it’s not fun to … you know … CHOICE something … I didn’t progress in using my weapon , i just “don’t know and can’t use” avec after a level suddenly Oh i’m pro at this.Good Job …

10 : Oh finally “My Story” start (nice to story and world to wait for me while i’m leveling because nothing is important in a “Epic RPG Story” right ?). Story is not for live an immersive narrative thing.

Cool i have to “not kill” bandit in the tavern , but … what ? no loot ? Story is not for Looting. Pff not fun ….
But at least it will grind my daily achievment (When it count because in living story this don’t count sometimes , and they don’t loot in case of you should have some “fun” in bashing tons of usless mob who don’t look ,don’t count , don’t make you levle up because you need to be 80 and are just here for to make you loose time. Great Job here again …)

Of course i received the bag “choice by the staff” in reward for “following the path without choicing anything at all and without have any fun and any reward in this” , and you know what … this is a Simple F2P Facebook Game mechanic … “Do this boring thing at the end you’ll have this reward” , the game didn’t reward me , only the mission reward …

So i continue the Story , Cool a reward i can’t salvage … No reason , No logic , just … “We choiced for you that you can’t” . Story is not for common sense and logic

They want to burn a batiment ! Quick logan we have to fight.
So you join Team “Sleepy” who wait in front on a door saying “Destroy it” because, you know they are not able to do it ! Story is not for Epic character.

So i destroy it and enter, face to me Ted and his team . I jump on Ted the boss and he’s invulnerable ! Why ? Reincarnation of Juggernaut ? Magical powerfull spell ? No , just because “We choiced for you that you have to attack another character” . Story is not for have any choice in fights.

It’s true to say i had the choice between hospital and orphenage but whathever is my choice i’ll find the same ennemy so … It’s not a choice (and it’s totally illogic).

Let’s go the the Serentine Fight , a part i really like usually because tons of small loots and bags , but of course here too “No more loot anymore” , and no fun at all to kill these 20 Clone Soldiers.

I receive the Reward “You choiced for me” like every single thing of theses 12 levels (hopefully the system reduce me to level 10 after forcing me to be level 10 for to start … not 9 , not 11 , 10 ! “You choiced for me my level”)

And i received the black Lion key (so it’s always possible, you’ll just have absolutly NO fun).

I stopped after that because i have to wait Level 20 for ot continue. Story is not for Dynamism.

My experience Resumed :
Doing a bus for to have the level you want for starting the story*
Doing a boring Story part the way you want , with no random , no loot, no choice (I can’t even attack Ted first in the Hospital …) every single step is choice by You.
The reward will be always exactly the same , setted by You

Absolutly, no Fun , you deleted everything.
No plants, no mining, no loot in the story.
So you can read all the not in this post and resume my feeling by "This isn’t anymore a RPG , It’s FF “Follow the path” 13 coupling with Farmville* and if i was new , i’ll NEVER continue after level 30.

So , again … , when you create your character the idea is “I am [Nickname] and this is my story”.
But the NPE isn’t my story , it’s waiting while xp and doing *your*story in every single step.

Level Limit for story is useless , loot disparition is boring , mine/plants disparition in starting zone is just a pain for nothing this coupling with the problem story had already before … Making it again less fun and totally directive in every little part.

I can accept a totally new people can don’t be so frustrative (specially if it’s their first mmo) but a newcommer isn’t new for 10 years … (And what about the 95 % of people who are not new ?)

You really want to close the game in 8 months ? ^^’
Where is my Roleplaying game ?
You need to keep the fondamental , because if you want to control everything it’s the end of the RPG.

It stop to be a game, and become a Job, doing a boring things with no fun and no reward in it just for to have the “pay” at the end.

It’s totally a Job , and game are done for fun.

(edited by Scellenia.4952)

Posted by: HandOfKane.5409

HandOfKane.5409

No changes were made to the leveling curve after level 15. The NPE mostly effects levels 1-15. So you did not try the NPE.

Umm, the gating still continues after level 15. So yes, he absolutely did try the NPE.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

Yes, I have just noted that while exploring Malchor’s Leap. See attached pic.

I just wanted to double check, the goggles not working for level 80 characters is a glitch right? Or is this content on its way out?

I was half way through my goggle achievements and I’d really like to be able to interact with goggles again in the future.

Posted by: RiverSong.5067

RiverSong.5067

I’m getting used to this NPE, but it’s very different. The angry mobs here will probably only rage at the slight change anyway so that doesn’t hold much value to me.

My guild is going through a heavy rotation. Key players quit and it created a domino effect. I’m told we could still fill over 2 guilds with our remaining active players. AARM is an alliance of 3 guilds.

I wrote about this because i feel it applies to the game too. The rotation part. You are going to lose players that can’t be avoided. It’s not about the ones you lose, it’s about the ones you get to replace them. You have to interest those players and keep them hooked for the longest time possible. They are going to quit eventually too but the longer they stay, the better your success.

I hear there is a patch for halloween, what are you planning for the game?

My webpage:
pages.videotron.ca/madfang4/

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Trait unlock should be accountbound, period. I’ve paid over 100g and 400 skill points on two characters post April patch. Now I am way too scared to even create new alts. And no it is not fun to do same activities over and over again on different toons. I’ve suffered enough, so make the trait acquisition accountable, or at least revert it to original state.

Tour

Malkavian.4516

I am curious, any word related to fixing the Personal Story so far? I’d appreciate some information from Chris or Gaile would be most welcome.

EDIT: I would probably guess you are working on something to tie the stories together but in all seriousness, as flawed as the Personal Story was pre-patch, I’d rather have you guys revert to that rather than make something that may or may not tie loose ends in a satisfying manner.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

(edited by Malkavian.4516)

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

My personal story on all characters is on pause. I don’t want to miss the Fear plotline.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

shadow.6174

Well, the most of my feedback I could be giving here already was mentioned by others, no much to add actually. However I wanted to make some points…

By chance did the one behind these changes think that new players couldn’t be that new for MMOs too? Did they think that this game’s meant to be played by low QI ppl? No offense intended but with some changes it sounds like they think the players are 5 years old who just must to follow what’s said. Was this new system meant for ppl with a brain of a potato? (No offense intended). C’mon, this game was already by far simpler than several MMOs out there.

What’s the difficult about dealing with bundles? It was what gave me immersion in the game, like “shinny, I can pick up stuff and use them”. What about being transformed in other creatures? One of the things that good me hooked in the game was becoming a sylvari hoard at my very first hearts. I didn’t even wanted that heart to finish… The tooltips in game was very enough to tell what to do with bundles.. did you pick up a bundle and your skills gone? No panic, hover your skills and learn what they do, you’ll find one saying “Drop bundle”. It’s hard? “Drop bundle”? Simple that?

As others have said, it’s not about fun anymore, it’s like a job: do what we say and you’ll get a reward. The fun and immersion in this game is about making choices and taking decisions, it’s been taken away from new players. Also, it’s not a leveling experience anymore, now it’s a huge boring tutorial. Why keep teaching ppl until they reach 80? I learned about WB when I was around lvl 20 (new system teaches about it at lvl 76)! At level 5 I already knew about map completion! (and this kept me in this game too, it was nice to know I could do hearts at a specific place instead spread around map and at anytime I wanted or any level (if I did it later) as they don’t vanish when I’m highter lvl).

Taking away features isn’t the proper way to teach things. To teach things one must show and tell about things. Do parents take away any furniture like chairs, drawers, etc from a baby’s room just bc the baby isn’t ready to use them? NO. Well, one could say “the baby isn’t supposed to use them anyhow” but the adults will. Also the baby’ll get used to that stuff and it’ll be already known to them when the proper moment arrives. What does this have to do? That’s how I feel about removing things from starter areas and low level players. How a new player’ll know what a renown heart’s meant for if they can’t even “feel” what world completion’s about?

Why removing merchants, TP and gather nodes from starter areas? Ohh it’s so difficult for a new player to approach a gather node and hit F? Ok, they couldn’t have the proper tools but then… hey, the game is telling me I need a tool equipped, where’s the logical place to find such items? Merchants! Then go to the nearest merchant and there it is. No tools with that merchant? Let’s seek another, like in RL, if you don’t find a thing at a place you seek at another.

I work with development of interactive computer courses and I’m aware what level new ppl could be, but hiding and locking stuff isn’t the proper way to teach. Hint! Tooltips! Instanced tutorials! Why denying things from a whole player base just to teach some newcomers? By using hints or an instanced tutorial one could have a plenty of tools to teach newcomers without taking away any fun from everyone else. The game had a Help panel before with useful hints, it’d help me a lot to refresh my mind about some mechanics. Why taking it away? Just because that bug with an achievement couldn’t be fixed? Remove the achievement instead.

The point is, give the player the right of choice! With the new changes the game’s deciding for us, either newcomers or veterans. What hooked me in this game was the ability of make choices in the PS mainly. But being forced to go through things that I could already know or was too obvious that I wouldn’t need a tutorial takes away the whole fun.

That’s it, with this system things are being forced on us. Let’s choice when to do PS or map completion. “oh but it’s higher level than your.” Well, let us take the risk, no challenge no risk. Talking about PS… wth was wrong with the previous sequence? Why messing up with the logic? No comments about that, others has already given my point. Leveling was easier between story steps, now it’s a boring task.

Ok, I wrote a lot. I may have repeated what others have said but that’s some of my thoughts about NPE. Therefore, I’d suggest to revert these changes and go back to planing table. The idea and intention behind it is great, but the system needs to be reworked from scratch, sadly enough. (I really hope there are changes coming and not mends instead…)

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

I was working on my new Thief today, and I just did the first group of personal story quests (the ones that open at level 10). After I finished, I felt very lost and then I realized why. When I had been leveling my other characters, the next personal story step was in the top right of my map, like a goal to aim toward. I could try it at a lower level and if I died, go and gain a level and then try again. This took up a lot of my gaming time because I used the personal story as a framework for my entire leveling experience. Until this change I had no idea how much of an influence the personal story was for me as a leveling mechanic.

I understand the reasons for putting the PS in segments, it does make sense from a writer’s perspective so the player can see the entire mini plot all at once, without breaks. I think that is a good thing. But the change in how it is presented, and the complete lack of a PS after one segment is completed, has caused me to log off right afterwards because I don’t really have a goal at that point and “just leveling” isn’t really a goal for me.

I’m not sure how much of an impact this is going to have on my experience with gw2 in the long run, and there are a lot of other leveling issues that I think need to be addressed first, but it was something that I didn’t expect to be an issue yet is.

(edited by Penarddun.6827)

Vayne.8563

I was working on my new Thief today, and I just did the first group of personal story quests (the ones that open at level 10). After I finished, I felt very lost and then I realized why. When I had been leveling my other characters, the next personal story step was in the top right of my map, like a goal to aim toward. I could try it at a lower level and if I died, go and gain a level and then try again. This took up a lot of my gaming time because I used the personal story as a framework for my entire leveling experience. Until this change I had no idea how much of an influence the personal story was for me as a leveling mechanic.

I understand the reasons for putting the PS in segments, it does make sense from a writer’s perspective so the player can see the entire mini plot all at once, without breaks. I think that is a good thing. But the change in how it is presented, and the complete lack of a PS after one segment is completed, has caused me to log off right afterwards because I don’t really have a goal at that point and “just leveling” isn’t really a goal for me.

I’m not sure how much of an impact this is going to have on my experience with gw2 in the long run, and there are a lot of other leveling issues that I think need to be addressed first, but it was something that I didn’t expect to be an issue yet is.

I think you’re missing the point though. The point is the personal story was never really supposed to be the backbone of the game. Events were. They’ve always said that was the main thrust of the game.

By having the personal story there all the time,. what they did was give people the wrong message about the game. Because at some point personal story ends, and then there’s nothing.

They’re retraining people to play the game differently for a reason. I used to see people post all the time about how they felt that they weren’t high enough level for their personal story, and they felt they were doing something wrong by being underleveled. Having it there, as it was, affected those people, in addition to affecting people like me, who feel like it breaks immersion to have to stop doing important stuff to do not important stuff. Save the city…but help some farmers first, because you’re not good enough to save the city.

But again, the thing you’re talking about here is probably the very thing Anet is trying to prevent. That’s why the brought in the new content guide.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I think you’re missing the point though. The point is the personal story was never really supposed to be the backbone of the game. Events were. They’ve always said that was the main thrust of the game.

By having the personal story there all the time,. what they did was give people the wrong message about the game. Because at some point personal story ends, and then there’s nothing.

They’re retraining people to play the game differently for a reason. I used to see people post all the time about how they felt that they weren’t high enough level for their personal story, and they felt they were doing something wrong by being underleveled. Having it there, as it was, affected those people, in addition to affecting people like me, who feel like it breaks immersion to have to stop doing important stuff to do not important stuff. Save the city…but help some farmers first, because you’re not good enough to save the city.

But again, the thing you’re talking about here is probably the very thing Anet is trying to prevent. That’s why the brought in the new content guide.

actually the personal story was designed to guide you into the areas you were most likely to be around certain levels, and direct people to content.
That has changed now apparently, but it actually was designed to work with your level and your progress to guide you.

MikaHR.1978

Actually i think you touched on the one of the reasons why it was changed, it was too “hand held” and deterministic where it would send people, people just followed the story and stuck around that without going off the beaten path.

Without that hand holding youre “free” to roam around whole map, not just small segment determined by your PS.

On the other hand, those who were all over map felt compelled to go back to certain areas every few levels to do PS.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Vayne.8563

actually the personal story was designed to guide you into the areas you were most likely to be around certain levels, and direct people to content.
That has changed now apparently, but it actually was designed to work with your level and your progress to guide you.

I’m not sure I agree with this interpretation.

MikaHR.1978

I actually agree with phys, but it was probably doing its job TOO well (too much hand holding) as people thought, PS is here so im supposed to be here as well.

Vayne.8563

I actually agree with phys, but it was probably doing its job TOO well (too much hand holding) as people thought, PS is here so im supposed to be here as well.

I think the PS was added to offer variety to the leveling experience. So people wouldn’t all have the same exact history. I think it was designed to follow where you’d be, rather than to lead you. It’s a subtle different, but it’s a difference.

MikaHR.1978

I think the PS was added to offer variety to the leveling experience. So people wouldn’t all have the same exact history. I think it was designed to follow where you’d be, rather than to lead you. It’s a subtle different, but it’s a difference.

Nah, because every new story step was higher level in a very specific area, so naturally, people went to the story, not the other way around, roaming around the area and stumbling upon it.

Also, the non removable reminder in tracker was constant…..reminder of it. It clearly showed “higher level -> that way”. And thats what people did.

Vayne.8563

Nah, because every new story step was higher level in a very specific area, so naturally, people went to the story, not the other way around, roaming around the area and stumbling upon it.

Also, the non removable reminder in tracker was constant…..reminder of it. It clearly showed “higher level -> that way”. And thats what people did.

Right which distracted them from what was meant to be the meat of the game. Remember, we’re talking about why it was developed. At some point, you originally ran out of PS and nothing replaced it. Then you had no sense of direction at all.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Unfortunately, the vast majority of events are far too uninteresting to carry the game, and then there’s the simple fact that you can’t even expect to come across events reliably without standing around and waiting for them to start. Of course people will latch on to something, anything else.

Vayne.8563

Unfortunately, the vast majority of events are far too uninteresting to carry the game, and then there’s the simple fact that you can’t even expect to come across events reliably without standing around and waiting for them to start. Of course people will latch on to something, anything else.

I agree. That’s why they changed it though. It’s also why they added hearts.

shadow.6174

I just wanted to double check, the goggles not working for level 80 characters is a glitch right? Or is this content on its way out?

I believe it’s a glitch, like happened with me in the pic I posted before.

Oh and this is something I wanted to post here for some time now but I kept forgetting. I was going to use quote from others about it but I missed them. Anyhow the thing is, some people has suggested more use of hints and even having an area with info about things. Well there was a Hint panel that was working nicely, it gave useful hints about several game mechanics. But it seems since they were unable to fix the achievement related to it the solution was getting rid of it completely for good.

I would suggest having that panel back (not necessarily bringing the achievement back too) as it would be handful to have a quick access place where we could refresh our mind about some things.

Oh here is what I was going to quote:

• Make use of hints. Sure, I didn’t use them when I started, but that’s because I like to dive in and play around with a game’s mechanics. When a player unlocks, for example, traits – have a nice useful hint appear explaining them in some detail. If they want to read it another time, point out the hints menu or something.
  • Maybe put a bit more useful information into the actual tutorial, instead of making everything before level 80 one huge tutorial. I’ve seen other games go in that direction and it’s just downhill from there (if you want an example, RuneScape).

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

A major tactical error. Events are fun, sure, and I enjoy having them in the game, but they don’t go anywhere. They just sit there and recycle. Sure, you may have a chain of events – but once you reach the end of the chain, where do you go from there?

For example, how many times have you heard:

Sentinel: “Look at this place. Titans, gods, dragons. They’re all the same. All they know is destruction!”

Sentinel: “When crossing the Brand, it’s best to walk softly and carry a big boom stick!”

Sentinel: “Some hate this duty. Not me. We’re the last line of defense against corruption. I take that seriously.”

At least with story missions there’s a sense of movement, of going somewhere, of (ta da) progression.

But, you might say, what happens when the story ends? Where do you go from there? Well, that’s what sequels are for.

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

A major tactical error. Events are fun, sure, and I enjoy having them in the game, but they don’t go anywhere. They just sit there and recycle. Sure, you may have a chain of events – but once you reach the end of the chain, where do you go from there?

For example, how many times have you heard:

Sentinel: “Look at this place. Titans, gods, dragons. They’re all the same. All they know is destruction!”

Sentinel: “When crossing the Brand, it’s best to walk softly and carry a big boom stick!”

Sentinel: “Some hate this duty. Not me. We’re the last line of defense against corruption. I take that seriously.”

At least with story missions there’s a sense of movement, of going somewhere, of (ta da) progression.

But, you might say, what happens when the story ends? Where do you go from there? Well, that’s what sequels are for.

Is it a tactical error? Did people, on the whole, like the personal story more? I don’t think so. Guild Wars 1 had very popular PvE but it was the same thing over and over.

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

What about skill 1 ricochet bug on thief? its not reaching its full range as indicated?

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

PS is/was like the main quest chain in quest-based RPGs, while renown hearts and dynamic events are the side-quests. Renown hearts usually (or ideally) frame continously progressing things, like harvest at an orchard or devourer farm, or culling of ghosts, or maintaining a wall. Dynamic events are similar, but revolve around events that happen every now and then. Like a concentrated siege or defense effort, or the route of one merchant, or a mishap in an asuran experiment.

The personal story however, happens only once (per character). That is the story of your character, the whole point of calling it personal story and not “main campaign” or anything else. Everything else is (supposed to be) just the setting.

I dont know if its better or worse to do personal story missions in bunches and episodes instead of continueously with side-missions between them to set up the feeling of the stage that the PS episode is about to play at.

Admittedly there are problems here and there with the whole setup that should have been considered and worked out during development. Like that caravan renown heart in Snowden drifts that the charr owner still havent fixed because its a renown heart instead of an event. Or the original idea of PS instances using the setting of the living world, resulting in the risen armies trying to assault a Lion’s Arch full of Scarlets minions, or Trahearne posing his Pact leadership in a Fort Concordia overgrown with Mordremoths vines…

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

IIRC Reknown quests (Heart quests) were put into the game for only a single reason…they were to provide scaffolding to battle the Pavlovian (scientific term meant not a demeaning term) demand for quest givers. In Alpha and beta people would not respond to visual clues. When asked why the burning building didn’t cause a player to stop and investigate, they were constantly told ‘because I hadn’t received that quest yet.’ These items are supposed to be non-existent in areas where the player was trained on how the system worked and weren’t deemed necessary. The success of this is questionable. One interesting thing of note, as a 4k+ hour PvE player I know I have not found every dynamic event within the game yet. Yes, I have full map completion also…it’s just that due to the randomness of dynamic events I have only seen bits and peices of many…not realizing that there was a larger story being told.

I always thought the personal story was, personal. How we, as characters interacted with the world, and gained our ‘fame/notoriety’. This did include being shown the main quest line. However, I did not feel compelled to utilize it as a framework for gameplay…just something to continue when ‘I’ was ‘ready’.

Malkavian.4516

1) Plot holes and story inconsistencies that may have been introduced with story realignment
2) Replacing the missing profession mechanics UI for the Ranger and Mesmer professions
Investigating issues that prevent players from retaining some skills (heal, utility, and elite) that they had previously unlocked
3) Addressing an issue with bundles that prematurely unlocked utility and elite skills

Correct me if I am wrong on this guys, but so far the only changes I have seen addressed is issue #2 (with the Mesmer part) and #3.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

I started a new character at the NPE launch. I’ve gotten her to 49, playing has been slow, and I’ve started not logging in every day anymore.

I got caught by the lvl 29 bug, which sucked. Clearing all of Snowden map only gained me a quarter of a level.

Because I was trying to experience it like a new player, I’ve been trying to avoid spending gold that a new player wouldn’t have. Now that PS mobs drop no loot, and on at least two occasions my PS awarded items my character couldn’t wear/wield and couldn’t sell or salvage.

I’ve been clearing maps, trying to get traits, and hoping to be in the map if someone starts the group events I need to get my traits. So far, no luck. I’ve unlocked a couple, but both of the adept traits I want are at the end of large Champ group events that never seem to happen.

At level 49, I’ve got 30% map completion, have cleared 6 maps plus cities, have done all of the story quest I’m allowed to do…and I still don’t have the traits I want. Could I buy them? Certainly. But it is the case that because of how traits are often at the end of long group events, or impossible jumping puzzles or what have you, that I will have to buy all the traits I want, and that is not something a new player could do. Even if the cash isn’t a barrier at that level, the skill point cost certainly is. New characters are still trying to buy elite skills that cost 30 skill points.

On the plus side, crafting my own armor has kept up with my level, a thing which I never had happen before. I always outleveled my crafting skill so fast that most of my skills stop at around 200. But this time, I’m crafting level appropriate gear. I don’t know if that’s because crafting has been amped up, or because leveling is going so slowly.

I must say, I’ve been tempted to just hop into eotm and get to 80 and get it over with so I can farm skill points to buy traits, so I can play around with the character, but I’m trying to do it like a new player…who I don’t think would have any idea about the karma train on the edge.

And frankly just the fact that “get it over with” has become part of my mindset about the game is probably why I’m not logging in as much. It just feels frustrating to have all these locked traits, and all these impossible tasks required to get them.

I’m loving the character, I just wish I’d started her before April, because I really, really, really hate the trait system, and I am not sure how much longer I can keep forcing myself to jump through hoops to unlock core components of the character.

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

(edited by duckideva.6358)

shadow.6174

Is it a tactical error? Did people, on the whole, like the personal story more? I don’t think so. Guild Wars 1 had very popular PvE but it was the same thing over and over.

Personally I would prefer Personal Story than doing the same events over and over and over. Personal Story is somewhat unique for each character, events are repetitive even though dynamic. Personal Story gives you a sense you are progressing on something, events are more like chores you do everyday, like gardening. They are fun, but it’s just more of the same after a while and almost equal to everyone. I wouldn’t say to take off events, but also I wouldn’t say they are what draws attention most. Events are good for group action and sociability, Personal Story is more for unique moments where you want solo (or with a friend only) or do things at your pace.

Malkavian.4516

Personally I would prefer Personal Story than doing the same events over and over and over. Personal Story is somewhat unique for each character, events are repetitive even though dynamic. Personal Story gives you a sense you are progressing on something, events are more like chores you do everyday, like gardening. They are fun, but it’s just more of the same after a while and almost equal to everyone. I wouldn’t say to take off events, but also I wouldn’t say they are what draws attention most. Events are good for group action and sociability, Personal Story is more for unique moments where you want solo (or with a friend only) or do things at your pace.

I definitely agree. In fact, that’s the reason why I bought Guild Wars 2 in the first place. The Personal Story wasn’t perfect but I felt like I give a kitten about the things going on in Tyria. Otherwise, I’d just be mindlessly killing mobs all by my lonesome for a few months and move on to another MMO. It can be the same thing over and over but for me, I don’t mind going through the same story again and again as long as I enjoy myself.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!