NPE Feedback [Merged] - Please read 1st post

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

forum bug fix.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

So I decided to re-roll a new character for the first time since all the leveling changes and tutorial stuff was added. I must say overall I like the new UI they added, while it was not needed for me I can see how it would be extremely helpful for new players. One big problem I have with how they changed the early zones though. Most of the events were either removed or severely dumbed down to the point they are no longer fun. This goes for hearts as well. A few small examples that really irks me: Assisting at the Iron legion armory/forge in Plains of Ashford- you used to be able to do a multitude of things to complete the heart such as put lost tools back in the tool bin, recycle scrap metal in the forge, and actually pick up the unexploded ordinance and toss them around. Now all you can do is….kill some flame legion and spam click the UED’s (but not pick them up)….

Another example is the hear north of that where you can assist in dealing with skritt and the cannon range. The cannons are now spam fire. No aiming, no dialing in your shots…just click it and move on. The devourer egg event seems to be not working anymore either. These are not problems specific to Plains of Ashford. Most low level zones suffer from this malady now.

tl;dr: Why, oh why, was all the fun and unique aspects removed from the hearts and why were the low level zones so “dumbed down” for a lack of better term? I used to enjoy hanging out in them but now it lost it’s appeal.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Seishiro.7468

Seishiro.7468

So I decided to re-roll a new character for the first time since all the leveling changes and tutorial stuff was added. I must say overall I like the new UI they added, while it was not needed for me I can see how it would be extremely helpful for new players. One big problem I have with how they changed the early zones though. Most of the events were either removed or severely dumbed down to the point they are no longer fun. This goes for hearts as well. A few small examples that really irks me: Assisting at the Iron legion armory/forge in Plains of Ashford- you used to be able to do a multitude of things to complete the heart such as put lost tools back in the tool bin, recycle scrap metal in the forge, and actually pick up the unexploded ordinance and toss them around. Now all you can do is….kill some flame legion and spam click the UED’s (but not pick them up)….

Another example is the hear north of that where you can assist in dealing with skritt and the cannon range. The cannons are now spam fire. No aiming, no dialing in your shots…just click it and move on. The devourer egg event seems to be not working anymore either. These are not problems specific to Plains of Ashford. Most low level zones suffer from this malady now.

tl;dr: Why, oh why, was all the fun and unique aspects removed from the hearts and why were the low level zones so “dumbed down” for a lack of better term? I used to enjoy hanging out in them but now it lost it’s appeal.

Yeah I had similiar problems, with things like golemchess simply beeing disabled, it made many hearts in the starting zones waaay less fun to play through. I hope they decide to change them back the way they were, because new players miss out on a lot of fun in those reduced quests.

“Trust in iron, not false gods” Karnar Ironclaw, Centurio of the Iron Legion

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Assisting at the Iron legion armory/forge in Plains of Ashford- you used to be able to do a multitude of things to complete the heart such as put lost tools back in the tool bin, recycle scrap metal in the forge, and actually pick up the unexploded ordinance and toss them around. Now all you can do is….kill some flame legion and spam click the UED’s (but not pick them up)….

On the contrary, I never find it fun cleaning after the Charr…fighting the Flame Legion is fun.

That’s my 2 cents.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I really hate the new leveling system as far as traits go. It used to be really cool to get a few levels, and then play around with all the new traits and abilities you got. Now, you don’t even get to play with traits till level 80, because you don’t get more than 2-4 traits points until 75 or so. And even then, you have to unlock every trait, something that a new player is not going to be able to to, because they wont have the trait points or the gold to do so. Yes, you can go do events to unlock them, but for some classes, certain traits are needed just to make the class work. Like engineers need grenadier just for the grenade kit to even be worthwhile, and that is significant because without the grenade kit our dammage is significantly lower. So, doing these events to get traits that we need just to make our class viable is exceptionally painful.

All in all, the way the trait system works now makes leveling painful, and the opposite of fun. Which goes against the very motto of this game: “the journey is the destination.” If that’s the case, well, the destination sucks. I really hope A-net goes back to the old trait system, because I had a lot more fun with it.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The one with the skritts in the low Charr area has problems. The cannons, that you can click on to advance the heart, have a longish cooldown and it’s for everyone so if more than one person is doing that, they block each other. There are no cannonballs to pick up and, iirc, the Skritt don’t count unless there is an event. I’ve never seen the Devourer part working. That particular heart can be difficult to advance. I usually hover around the cannons and click them as they become active.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I really hate the new leveling system as far as traits go. It used to be really cool to get a few levels, and then play around with all the new traits and abilities you got. Now, you don’t even get to play with traits till level 80, because you don’t get more than 2-4 traits points until 75 or so. And even then, you have to unlock every trait, something that a new player is not going to be able to to, because they wont have the trait points or the gold to do so. Yes, you can go do events to unlock them, but for some classes, certain traits are needed just to make the class work. Like engineers need grenadier just for the grenade kit to even be worthwhile, and that is significant because without the grenade kit our dammage is significantly lower. So, doing these events to get traits that we need just to make our class viable is exceptionally painful.

All in all, the way the trait system works now makes leveling painful, and the opposite of fun. Which goes against the very motto of this game: “the journey is the destination.” If that’s the case, well, the destination sucks. I really hope A-net goes back to the old trait system, because I had a lot more fun with it.

At first I was in the same boat as you, it was bothersome. However, I now see the value in it as it forces you to take the time to familiarize yourself with the class and how the skills/traits interact with each other a little bit at a time. It has also helped me develop many unorthodox but highly effective new builds (I DESPISE the meta garbage, I enjoy instead the thrill of making a new build on my own). While I will admit it has much more value to new players, it’s not lost on vets either for those reasons I mentioned. If you are making a class you already played for a duplicate, you prob have some tomes/scrolls laying around anyway so might as well just powerlevel it and buy the traits you want from the trainer anyway. With this new system I actually enjoy hunting down the traits, makes nostalgia for GW1 hunting of the elites from the bosses (I do think some of the trait cap locations are a bit imbalanced though…no minor or major trait should be tied to events in lvl 80 zones….just saying….)

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: HandOfKane.5409

HandOfKane.5409

1) dancing to cows: no better or worse than bowing and sitting by cows in a higher level heart in the Charr area. This type of complaint makes me think that if it was the opposite, that the game started with dancing to cows and was changed to feeding cows there would have been a storm of complaints about removing flavor in the starter area and how feeding cows is boring and insulting to the players intelligence.

Meh, I used “dancing for cows” as a catch-all for the dumbing down of the starter areas. It of course wasn’t the only change (golem chess, feeding bear cubs, removing TP traders, etc.)

And I suppose it’s possible that people would be complaining in a reversed situation too, though speculating that is merely guesswork.

2) weapon skills unlock. I hated unlocking weapon skills the old way. I would painfully unlock the skills and then get a different weapon and be sent back to autoattack, but in a higher area against tougher mobs. Imo, this way is better. I get a new weapon and I’ve got the same number of skills. I’m not reduced to autoattacking again. If they had reversed the order of this, I think there would be complaints about how they have to autoattack again and it’s handholding to send them back to square one. That ANet doesn’t trust them to figure out the new weapon skills by mousing over them.

I dunno… not only is the new way contradictory to Anet’s stated goal of “not overwhelming and confusing new players”, but the old way was actually unique instead of the generic “get x skill at x level” system in nearly every other MMO. I remember myself thinking that it was so cool that GW2 unlocked skills differently than, for instance, SWTOR or WOW.

I’d say the old system was really only problematic for elementalists and maybe necromancer’s Death Shroud. Still, that could be addressed without throwing out the baby with the bathwater (eg. allowing elementalist weapon skills to be unlocked for all attunements simultaneously instead of having to do each attunement individually).

(edited by HandOfKane.5409)

Guhracie.3419

The removal of nodes in the early parts of starter zones, level-gating downed and underwater skills… level-gating is just bad, but downed skills in particular. It’s like, “Oh, hey, there’s this totally useless mechanic and now it just takes me slightly longer to die.”

I just don’t understand how this can be seen as an improvement. Maybe with traits fixed, the leveling experience will become less cumbersome, but… wow. I cannot overstate how much this whole thing has destroyed my desire to level alts in the open world. It’s just… why?

There are some really good additions- the compass, for example. The optional compass. And I like the bunny heart’s new location in Wayfarer. But as things currently stand, leveling has turned into the worst kind of tedium.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

The bunny heart in Wayfarer is one that I always miss when I do that map. I go through the mountain pass, then cross the bridge to the Jotun area. From there I head north, etc – it’s a pattern picked up from my first few times through. I didn’t know where the bunny heart was until I had finished the map and then had to find it for completion.

The location is fine and I like it, but I think that if there was an event near there, it would help draw people in there more naturally. Or maybe I’m just different in the way I travel it, but even before the changes, that was never an area I naturally traveled through.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

The new player experience is absolutely without a doubt horrible in nearly every single way. I bought a second account on the PAX special and honestly playing through it, the game is a horrible mess. You’re locked out of nearly the entire game and have to unlock everyone in time in a very convoluted mess that doesn’t seem well thought out in the slightest. You don’t have next to any abilities at first and it makes leveling a boring tedious mess.

The trait system, is without a doubt the very worst system put in place by an MMO to date. It’s just absolutely horrible and I have to commend you on finding a way the sucks more then any other system that has ever been put in place before. I don’t know whoever came up with that idea of unlocking traits or the ones who deemed which things to unlock which traits but the lot of them really should be terminated and you really need to rehire new people as they’re only going to make the game worse.

Can we get the old system back? One that isn’t so unfriendly to new accounts? One that doesn’t lock the entire game away?

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The Burninator

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

More visibility needs to happen beyond one ignored thread for this god horrible system to be reverted. This is without a doubt the absolute worst system ever put in place in a major MMO. It needs to be changed and it needs to be changed soon. Not Heart of Thorns, now. It’s absolutely kittening unplayable horrible

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

JustTrogdor.7892

It’s not ignored and usually stays close to the front page. There is also this thread related to the trait issue that also frequents the front page.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Traits-Part-2/

The Burninator

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

You are 6 months late lol.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Calling for people’s jobs is a deplorable thing to do. You need to adjust your tact so that how you are communicating isn’t hurting what you are communicating. As it stands now, no one from ArenaNet will read this. It will get closed and ignored because no one likes being talked at instead of talked to. If you fix the tone, you will at least get it read. Not in the form it’s in now though.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can either post on the thread where they said they are taking feedback or you can make a new thread that will get a few responses and then disappear off the front page in a few hours.

Your choice.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Hazelaar.5720

Hazelaar.5720

As a newer player, I’ve found it very enjoyable and reasonably usable (a couple things could be explained a little better in-game, but it’s nothing insurmountable).

I don’t know what weird games you’re playing that give you all the abilities and access to all areas right from the start.

Posted by: Bluefox.9580

Bluefox.9580

As a newer player, I’ve found it very enjoyable and reasonably usable (a couple things could be explained a little better in-game, but it’s nothing insurmountable).

I don’t know what weird games you’re playing that give you all the abilities and access to all areas right from the start.

Guild Wars 1 & 2. (pre NPE)

Bluefox Matari – Elementalist – Maguuma

Posted by: Aethelbert.1497

Aethelbert.1497

You find it fine because you haven’t got anything to compare it to. Original system allowed you to learn weapons skills by actually using weapon, not by leveling, for example. Every 1-15 zone and early experience in general was dumbed down. A lot of things, like golem mini-game in Metrica province, was cut out. You can no longer feed cows in Queensdale with a cow food you need to pick up (teaching new players to use bundles!) and instead you “entertain” them somehow. And so on and so forth. The list is huge, but let’s stop there.

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

The only significant differences between the current trait system and the old one is the fact that you have to unlock your traits, and that you only get 2-4 trait points until 75-80.

As I have said before in other threads, I do not like this system, and I do want them to go back to the old system. However, you are over exaggerating quite a bit. Overall the leveling experience is still as good as it has ever been (because it’s still largely the same) especially when compared to almost every other MMO. There are no fetch quests, you aren’t restricted to leveling by doing “quests” (hearts). You can level in a myriad of different ways from SPvP to WvW, to world exploration, to even just crafting if that’s your thing.

I am all for encouraging A-net to do away with the need to unlock traits, and to give more trait points at lower levels, or at least to improving this situation. But lets do that with honesty and constructive criticism instead of over the top statements and demands for Devs to be fired. Obviously the game is still good because you are trying to get them to change this particular aspect of it, instead of just quitting playing; no one has such strong emotions about something they don’t enjoy.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The only significant differences between the current trait system and the old one is the fact that you have to unlock your traits, and that you only get 2-4 trait points until 75-80.

As I have said before in other threads, I do not like this system, and I do want them to go back to the old system. However, you are over exaggerating quite a bit. Overall the leveling experience is still as good as it has ever been (because it’s still largely the same) especially when compared to almost every other MMO. There are no fetch quests, you aren’t restricted to leveling by doing “quests” (hearts). You can level in a myriad of different ways from SPvP to WvW, to world exploration, to even just crafting if that’s your thing.

I am all for encouraging A-net to do away with the need to unlock traits, and to give more trait points at lower levels, or at least to improving this situation. But lets do that with honesty and constructive criticism instead of over the top statements and demands for Devs to be fired. Obviously the game is still good because you are trying to get them to change this particular aspect of it, instead of just quitting playing; no one has such strong emotions about something they don’t enjoy.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Didn’t anet state they were going to change the trait system in HoT?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

JustTrogdor.7892

Didn’t anet state they were going to change the trait system in HoT?

Yes

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/page/78#post4733414

The Burninator

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Interestingly I have a friend who bought the game a long time ago but just started playing recently (work, life, etc) and since he’s entirely ignorant about what got changed, he has no complaints. For players who alt a lot the change is like jumping into a frozen lake on New Years Day, a shock to the system.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Guhracie.3419

The bunny heart in Wayfarer is one that I always miss when I do that map. I go through the mountain pass, then cross the bridge to the Jotun area. From there I head north, etc – it’s a pattern picked up from my first few times through. I didn’t know where the bunny heart was until I had finished the map and then had to find it for completion.

The location is fine and I like it, but I think that if there was an event near there, it would help draw people in there more naturally. Or maybe I’m just different in the way I travel it, but even before the changes, that was never an area I naturally traveled through.

They moved it in the September patch to the main pathway north. That’s why it’s a good change, in my opinion. You literally can’t miss it, now. It’s right before you come to Taigan (sp?) Waypoint, where the event chain involving Longshanks happens. I think the Jotun trading heart got moved to be closer to the keep where the Wolfmaster spawns, and it also had some objectives added to it.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

As much as I think there are a lot of things wrong with current trait system, the most confusing change I’ve encountered so far is with the Personal Story.

Prior to the NPE, we used to get a single piece of story every few levels (In fact, those story steps were unlocked by default even if we had not reached the recommended level). This missions could lead us around the world, bringing us to new zones to explore and, once finished, we automatically knew where we should be heading.

With the current system, we receive the story on batches every 10 levels. This might not seem bad at all, but I can easily see it becoming a serious problem for many new players.
The story steps we currently unlock at, lets say, lvl30 are the ones we used to play between lvl20 and lvl30, so they send us to zones that we outlevel and, more often than not, have already explored.
On top of that, once those missions are finished we get no clue of where the story is heading. We find ourselves in the middle of nowehere, left to explore the world on our own until we are required again.
Many players could argue that this kind of freedom is something positive and I could actually agree with that to some extent. It’s, however, definitely unconsistent with the whole NPE idea.
Spoonfeeding, carefully measuring out the introduction of every feature and character progresion step to not overwhelm new players just doesn’t make any sense if you expect this kind of free exploration spirit from them.

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

You find it fine because you haven’t got anything to compare it to. Original system allowed you to learn weapons skills by actually using weapon, not by leveling, for example. Every 1-15 zone and early experience in general was dumbed down. A lot of things, like golem mini-game in Metrica province, was cut out. You can no longer feed cows in Queensdale with a cow food you need to pick up (teaching new players to use bundles!) and instead you “entertain” them somehow. And so on and so forth. The list is huge, but let’s stop there.

Right? What would a new player know about the new player experience? They’re new. If they weren’t new players, they’d understand just how much the new player experience sucks.

Shaaba.5672

know where it is, but I disagree with the ‘literally can’t miss it’ part. I’ve completed that map twice since Sept and the first time I had to hunt for it and it was the last one to be filled in, and the second time I skipped right over it too and then remembered to go back. My natural path is to come at Taigan from the west, not the road. I agree it’s not out of the way or anything, but it’s also easy to miss. I never triggered a part of the map that reveals an empty heart for it until I went there specifically.

Posted by: LegallyBinding.4937

LegallyBinding.4937

As an actual new player I feel exactly the opposite. I am loving the game and thought the new player experience has generally been good and positive.

Guhracie.3419

know where it is, but I disagree with the ‘literally can’t miss it’ part. I’ve completed that map twice since Sept and the first time I had to hunt for it and it was the last one to be filled in, and the second time I skipped right over it too and then remembered to go back. My natural path is to come at Taigan from the west, not the road. I agree it’s not out of the way or anything, but it’s also easy to miss. I never triggered a part of the map that reveals an empty heart for it until I went there specifically.

So are you starting Wayfarer from Diessa or Snowden? Because if you’re starting from Hoelbrak, or if you want to access the southern part of Wayfarer at all you have to go on the roadway that passes by the bunny heart. It’s the only path between north and south wayfarer.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

More visibility needs to happen beyond one ignored thread

You mean this ignored thread? lmao.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Shaaba.5672

So are you starting Wayfarer from Diessa or Snowden? Because if you’re starting from Hoelbrak, or if you want to access the southern part of Wayfarer at all you have to go on the roadway that passes by the bunny heart. It’s the only path between north and south wayfarer.

Straight out of Hoelbrak. Near the Bear heart there is a mountain pass that comes out exactly where the bunny heart used to be. And that’s the one I’ve always used. From the old bunny heart, I cross the bridge above the path you are talking about – the one Linea uses to follow the jackelope. I only discovered the road you are talking about after passing through Wayfarer a couple of times.

(edited by Shaaba.5672)

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

I haven’t played that much with characters created after NPE (i created all my chars practically at launch to reserve names). But i did create a few low lvls (key farming, its bad, i know, but i’m too poor to buy keys)…
I have to say i dislike it thoroughly. It doesn’t feel like the same game even.
The whole thing about weapon skill learning is dead now, it used to feel alive and nice, i used to trade weapons with my friends when we finished learning a weapon so we could learn all skills.
The map exploring i can’t tell much, but its weird that you cap stuff, and force players on a path, on a game that was all about exploring and freedom to do your own thing.
The story, thankfully i was already past the part where it was mangled, so i still didn’t experience it, but some guild mates were complaining, and i went to the wiki to see how it was, and it looks really mangled, with continuity miss-aligned, even with the old continuity, some episodes feel different, and like stuff is missing, specially once you start getting air-dropped in the Cursed Shores.

Basically, how it feels is that we had a game that gave us so much freedom without hand-holding, that some (not many) people got confused and even quit outright, and now you kinda turned it into the opposite, a game that kinda steers you forcibly into a certain path that constrains the experience.

The game launched with a nice “journey” to lvl 80, what it lacked was stuff to do once that journey was finished. Its still isn’t very good at it, but the journey WAS GREAT! I don’t get why you felt the need to change it so radically.
Sure some stuff is really cool, the crafter backs are awesome, i like that we unlock traits (but we shouldn’t have to unlock ALL), the condensing of the traits wasn’t bad either, the system works nicely still.
The “flexible” weapons were also a cool addition, and much welcome (albeit kinda expensive to craft).
But the hand-holding you added, the constraints, the mangled story? Those were a big mistake, in my opinion, and pretty much every one i know that experienced both the new and old experience.

Guhracie.3419

Straight out of Hoelbrak. Near the Bear heart there is a mountain pass that comes out exactly where the bunny heart used to be. And that’s the one I’ve always used. From the old bunny heart, I cross the bridge above the path you are talking about – the one Linea uses to follow the jackelope. I only discovered the road you are talking about after passing through Wayfarer a couple of times.

Holy smokes. I’m pretty sure I’ve map completed Wayfarer more times than any other starter zone, and it was my go-to zone for daily events, and I’ve never seen that path. I am super gobsmacked right now. My apologies!

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Holy smokes. I’m pretty sure I’ve map completed Wayfarer more times than any other starter zone, and it was my go-to zone for daily events, and I’ve never seen that path. I am super gobsmacked right now. My apologies!

I may never have found that path if it wasn’t for the personal story with the Minator spirit.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I always used that pass on lowbies to get through to the north, and the underwater channel as well, since they led to small event chains if you were lucky. I greatly dislike Bjarni being moved off the mountain, and liked being ambushed by Sons if I ever went the other way. I had to take a couple of months off because of the changes to Wayfarer.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Shaaba.5672

Oh yeah, yeah. That underwater path has a few events too. They never seemed to be up when I passed by though, and I eventually skipped that area in subsequent completions. With underwater combat gated now, is that even doable if you enter from the low level side? You’d be in the first 5 or so levels and it’s gated at maybe 7?

zenleto.6179

Oh yeah, yeah. That underwater path has a few events too. They never seemed to be up when I passed by though, and I eventually skipped that area in subsequent completions. With underwater combat gated now, is that even doable if you enter from the low level side? You’d be in the first 5 or so levels and it’s gated at maybe 7?

The mobs are all yellow now, even the vet, so it doesn’t matter. With megaservers I haven’t had much chance to get them done recently either. Shame, since I like listening to Lunt taunt the dredge.

Shaaba.5672

Well that’s boring. So you just collect plants now and wave to the mobs as you swim by? How sad.

I’d feel better about the changes if they actually took the time to redesign them a little to be interesting or challenging. It didn’t have to be much, but a little care would have been appreciated. Take for instance the bear cubs you feed for Bear. The bundles are out (sad) and I understand why they did that, but at least a few of the traps you now release could have a skelk of something in them. The heart in Queensdale has traps you open and sometimes they don’t have anything, sometimes you fight a drake. That’s been in since launch and was designed that way. When comparing it to the Bear heart, the effort just seems half-hearted and not as professional.

(edited by Shaaba.5672)

zenleto.6179

Well that’s boring. So you just collect plants now and wave to the mobs as you swim by? How sad.

I’d feel better about the changes if they actually took the time to redesign them a little to be interesting or challenging. It didn’t have to be much, but a little care would have been appreciated. Take for instance the bear cubs you feed for Bear. The bundles are out (sad) and I understand why they did that, but at least a few of the traps you now release could have a skelk of something in them. The heart in Queensdale has traps you open and sometimes they don’t have anything, sometimes you fight a drake. That’s been in since launch and was designed that way. When comparing it to the Bear heart, the effort just seems half-hearted and not as professional.

Yep.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

As an actual new player I feel exactly the opposite. I am loving the game and thought the new player experience has generally been good and positive.

Firstly, welcome to Guild Wars 2 and glad to hear you are enjoying the game. But honestly, have you learned about how the old system was, either by this thread, wiki or something? I’m just curious to know what a real new player’s opinion would be if they see both systems.

I think usually for a new player the system doesn’t seem that bad. After all, even the worst part of this game seems to be better than other games out there in some aspects. Also, could you tell what you liked in the new system? Just curious about new players opinions.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

I think usually for a new player the system doesn’t seem that bad.

Because new players have barely any idea what traits are, or how useful/important they are to the build of their classes.

How can you miss it if you don’t even know what you are missing?

Or its like some of the defenders (though it may only be the same two people posting a loit in this thread) also make it pretty clear “you only need a few traits unlocked anyway” which means they are just copying a meta build off the net somewhere.

Like I said, new players just can’t miss what they don’t even know about. But I bet there would be a LOT of love if anet suddenly reverted the changes and the new players suddenly had access to the trait system in its entirety for the first time.

shadow.6174

Because new players have barely any idea what traits are, or how useful/important they are to the build of their classes.

Yup, that’s why I’m curious about how would be their opinion if they heard how it was before. To make a proper judgment if it’s a good change or not a new player would need to know how it was before at least, even if they hadn’t any chance to feel it themselves.

Usually a new player would compare it with other games out there or any other experience they had, then even the hated changes here could still be better than what they saw out there. Giving them chances to know how it was before would really help to evaluate how good or bad the changes were. The thing is: people adapt to things at first sight but it doesn’t mean what they got first was really the best way.

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

This system makes me not want to roll new alts. I’ll stick with the 5 grandfathered characters I have right now.

Too bad, it would be fun to try a Thief, Engy, or Ranger.

Posted by: Ashendale.2165

Ashendale.2165

This system makes me not want to roll new alts. I’ll stick with the 5 grandfathered characters I have right now.

Too bad, it would be fun to try a Thief, Engy, or Ranger.

I’m having the same issue right now. Lots of stuff to do on this game by playing different races/professions. Would love to. But while this is in effect? Nope.

Right now I’m just logging for dailies and Tequatl. As soon as some games come out or others get out of beta, I’m out. Having more fun playing modded Minecraft ALONE than being treated like a newborn.

(6 months and counting since this is in effect; for all intended purposes, silence is akin to a giant middle finger from the team; if they somehow found the time to say they screwed up with trait changes and PS, you’d think they had some time to let us know the something over here – which means they don’t give a flying hoot)

Eat, sleep, play video games

Posted by: Shadowcat.6752

Shadowcat.6752

I have to agree. I don’t like the new levelling system.
I only recently tried it out, and suffice to say, it’s quite disappointing. Rangers cant’ even name their pet from the off, or control them. Weapons skills are unlocked too slowly, rather than the old way of by using the weapons. It actually made trying a new weapon more fun.
I also miss the Dredge heart quest in the early Wayfarer Foothills. I see no reason why it was removed.
I could go on but I’d just be reiterating what everyone else has already said.
So yes, I’d rather a return to the old system. It played better.

Oh, and bring back Town Clothes & make outfits multiple pieces again!
(No, not those horrid tonics that only last 15 minutes.)

Dragonbanes Ho!

shadow.6174

Oh, and bring back Town Clothes & make outfits multiple pieces again!
(No, not those horrid tonics that only last 15 minutes.)

Yeah, I see no reason why it was made in tonics. Just useless crap taking space into inventory. Making it like an outfit would make a lot more sense (simply a default outfit that everyone would already get from start?).

zenleto.6179

Or its like some of the defenders (though it may only be the same two people posting a loit in this thread) also make it pretty clear “you only need a few traits unlocked anyway” which means they are just copying a meta build off the net somewhere.

Like I said, new players just can’t miss what they don’t even know about. But I bet there would be a LOT of love if anet suddenly reverted the changes and the new players suddenly had access to the trait system in its entirety for the first time.

Trait issues are separate from the NPE, which is probably why there are only a few defenders of traits in this thread. There’s a whole traits thread for the traits issue. It’s a whole different update.