Nerfed Champ Bags/Boxes ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

whole thread is empty? huh?

Forum software glitch. If the previous page is full (50 posts), you get a blank page.

Just another forum software problem.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

whole thread is empty? huh?

Forum software glitch. If the previous page is full (50 posts), you get a blank page.

Just another forum software problem.

Yeah, I deleted that once you posted, since it served no purpose. Bleh, forums.

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

What’s particularly appalling about this change is how it never made it to the Release Notes. Just a carefully stashed away nerf that ArenaNet was otherwise too embarrassed to admit. If it was just game balancing they would have owned up to it. No, the real and clear motivation is the hope that we’ll buy more gems with real-life money. Which is something I have vowed to stop doing and have succeeded for several months now.

Don’t be so proud about your dungeon speed clears and temple runs. Be assured that ArenaNet is coming after those next.

Oh, and as for Scarlet Invasions, much of the income came from killing the champions so forget about that.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

What’s particularly appalling about this change is how it never made it to the Release Notes. Just a carefully stashed away nerf that ArenaNet was otherwise too embarrassed to admit.

What’s so appalling about this change? Anet is notorious for stealth nerfs like this, has been happening since GW 1. Despite them claiming that all changes make it into the patch notes. Business as usual as far as I’m concerned.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

Just want to say that I applaud A-net for this change.

I hope this nerf sticks. Good job!

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Nerf isn’t good enough i think it should be that each character gets 1 bag from a champ a day. It will get people exploring the other areas of the world looking for champs.

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

Meh, I think this is the final straw of this game for me, at least for a while.

I don’t study the ins and outs of the game economy enough to know whether this nerf was good for the game or not. But I know it was bad for me…I was relying on the champ train to get the gold to move into the ascended crafting.

But what really has been bugging me about this game is the constant manipulation of it…Anet cannot seem to leave anything alone. IMHO, all these “stealth” changes (the ones that are never detailed in the update notes) are not done for the good of the game…they are done to generate gem sales. Period.

First they nerfed the daylights out of karma…now this…I have had enough. I think in an MMO some things have to be constants…because all of us engage in some sort of planning in terms of resource allocation and such. This is impossible with Anet changing the basic rules of the game economy every couple of weeks. I am tired of it.

Maybe all MMOs are constantly manipulated like this, I don’t know because I have never played any others. Maybe it just isn’t for me.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Nerf isn’t good enough i think it should be that each character gets 1 bag from a champ a day. It will get people exploring the other areas of the world looking for champs.

Terrible idea, which means you probably just guaranteed it will happen because they’re all for such things.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

No matter why they did it – it should have been in the patch notes. Really – this sort of curve ball isn’t a nice thing.

If you changed it – put it in the patch notes. Simple as that.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Next

Hello all, I looked into this because we intended to have a release note for the changes to the champion loot.
We did modify the gold and bloodstone dust coming from champion bags, and a release note will be added shortly.
What I can tell you is that we made a mistake, this one fell through the cracks and I’m truly sorry. I’ve promised before that we won’t make stealthy economic changes without notes and I mean to stick to that promise.
Thank you all for pointing out the error, we will be more vigilant in the future.
Good luck in your adventures.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Hello all, I looked into this because we intended to have a release note for the changes to the champion loot.
We did modify the gold and bloodstone dust coming from champion bags, and a release note will be added shortly.
What I can tell you is that we made a mistake, this one fell through the cracks and I’m truly sorry. I’ve promised before that we won’t make stealthy economic changes without notes and I mean to stick to that promise.
Thank you all for pointing out the error, we will be more vigilant in the future.

This guy is so hard to hate even it’s a big nerf.

Henri Blanche.8276

Thank you John for your response. That said, cutting back on loot is one thing; but when opening a champion bag and receiving NO cash at all, that’s another thing altogether. Nonetheless, I look forward to reading the release note in the near future.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I was wondering why I got no silver from some boxes…..this explains that.

Well at least I know even if I don’t particularly like getting less silver out of the boxes.

Thank you for less bloodstone dust though. I’ve got over a stack of bloodstone bricks and don’t really need anymore >.<

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

John, I know you’re not allowed to let too much slip, but to your knowledge are there plans to increase the reward anywhere else in game?

As someone who plays on a schedule that forces me to be a “casual”, the champ farm was one of the extraordinarily few ways to make gold reliably in-game.

Later, eh?

Stale

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

This guy is so hard to hate even it’s a big nerf.

That’s because he gave an honest straightforward answer, i appreciate that.

Posted by: DaGhostDS.9738

DaGhostDS.9738

What about the reduction in Rare/Exotics from those bags and the Orr temple chest?
Ive been talking to a few players and they all seen a major reduction over the last month.

P.s. The gold drop was already reduced 2 weeks after the introduction of those Champs bag.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

On the other hand, the incentive to kill a champion outside of a train has dropped precipitously.

This is an interesting side effect.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Personally, I finished my Twilight and have enough for a 2nd, I am ranting on behalf of all those I see daily that will be severely impacted by this.

It’s official, you guys are the kings of leeching fun from a game.

Ohh don’t worry. I just recently came back after almost a year being away. I have figured out that the best way to enjoy this game and I do mean this sincerely is to use the same RNG generator ANet uses for your gem purchases. So far before they introduced Ascended they were budgeted for $20 a month from me. Since coming back I’ve tied the purchases to RNG of drops. Still haven’t had to get the credit card out once yet! It’s awesome!

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

John, can you please also look into the various loot bags that champs are dropping?

I used to get exotic bags from champions every time, and now I’m getting anywhere from white to exotic ones, with no apparent rhyme or reason to it.

EDIT: All eight of my characters are level 80, so it’s not a level issue.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

John, can you please also look into the various loot bags that champs are dropping?

I used to get exotic bags from champions every time, and now I’m getting anywhere from white to exotic ones, with no apparent rhyme or reason to it.

EDIT: All eight of my characters are level 80, so it’s not a level issue.

That’s new? Always been like that for me. Most common for lower level champs, frostgorge usually exotic.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Sad Tas.2509

Sad Tas.2509

Why would this be done, though? That was the only decent way to make gold outside of playing the TP (which is not really “playing the game”).

Henri Blanche.8276

Why would this be done, though? That was the only decent way to make gold outside of playing the TP (which is not really “playing the game”).

Here’s hoping for a lucid and reasonable explanation in the Release Notes. That all said, cut back on the rewards for defeating Champions and you’ll be reducing them to window ornaments. No one will ever bother with them again, train or no train.

Posted by: Zerole.7306

Zerole.7306

Here is a reason:

The zergs were creating a poor experience for people new to the game in the most populated of the newbie areas.

If that one doesn’t work for you:
They finally took note at how damaging that kind of money grab is to a game and plugged the leak.

I’d also like to point out that folks that enjoy tougher content always have and always will tackle champions they come across. Champions died regularly long before the champ bags were introduced.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Champions died regularly long before the champ bags were introduced.

Not really…

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

In the forum posts talking about collaboration I recommended a communication director to avoid this type of action leading to irate customers. I will posit my advise again to Anet, they may take it or leave it.
Hire a communications director to clearly let the player base what you are doing and why. Not providing a reason why you did it in the first place is going to push many out of the player base into other games. Simply put, you are hurting your franchise with, IMHO, unprofessional habits.
Collaboration must include totally honest communication, and it should not include responses like “there ain’t no baby up in here”. I was totally aghast when I read that forum post by a member of the Anet team, and the response in this post just reinforces my opinion of the management team at Anet.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Good change, champion loot is still more than generous for the effort it takes to do them.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Henri Blanche.8276

Not really…

Truth. At most, you would kill a Champion once and that was that.

I do agree that the Train running in Queensdale, a starting area for humans, was at times problematic.

But if you wanted to slow down the trains you didn’t have to spoil the loot. Just slow down the spawn rates. You would no longer have a continuous ongoing cycle going on most every hour of the day. It would have been an occasional looked-forward-to event instead.

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Nice nerf , now people won’t get free looot and it’s great . There was absolutly 0 risk fighting those chwmps and 0 effort .

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Not really…

Truth. At most, you would kill a Champion once and that was that.

Exactly. I’d usually give them a go if I ran across them, and truthfully doing stuff like taking down the champ giant in the cave in Diessa with 2 of my friends was fun…once. I stumbled across him, we took him down and I haven’t been back since.

It’s a sticky wicket but I feel it was pretty balanced before and didn’t need to be nerfed. Sure people run trains, but never, at least on GoM, did I see other events/areas/activities go unpopulated any more than they did before champs actually got decent loot.

Nice nerf , now people won’t get free looot and it’s great . There was absolutly 0 risk fighting those chwmps and 0 effort .

As much as any other loot in the game it requires time input…beyond that the only way loot isn’t free in this game is if you buy gems with real money. Regardless, I’d still say champ trains are probably the best way of making money, doing metas then breaking down rares/exos and selling the ectos being the second best. It’s not like the champ trains will stop just because there’s slightly less silver per bag.

(edited by rizzo.1079)

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

This is my fault, everyone. I started playing two weeks ago and discovered champ farming the other day. That’s why it was nerfed — I’m cursed.

Sorry!

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

It figures.

The first time I actually feel pressured to do a lot of money grinding for Dreamthistle skins because they’re great and I want to get quite a few of them, and the champ train gets nerfed so any grinding I have to do will be extended even more.

I should really learn to do the grind ASAP because it’ll always get nerfed eventually, probably as soon as I want to start doing it >.>

Henri Blanche.8276

This is my fault, everyone. I started playing two weeks ago and discovered champ farming the other day. That’s why it was nerfed — I’m cursed.

Aha! This explains everything!

If you discover anything else in the game that’s lucrative please let us know in advance so that we can adapt accordingly.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

I think its about time you started having audits on your work then. I am not blaming you directly. The patch notes where “forgotten” for the changes to Sylvari cultural armor and now the notes where “forgotten” when it comes to champ bag changes. This is getting a tad suspicious that such major changes are just randomly forgotten. I would also say the things that where forgotten where things that could easily upset the community.

I am getting a little sick of supporting a company that is so forgetful. I am thinking it might be time to start boycotting the gem store until Arena.net as a company gets it stuff worked out.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Sorry!

Go run Arah please! Maybe it’ll get them to fix bugs that let you skip everything and its nan ^^

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Good change, champion loot is still more than generous for the effort it takes to do them.

2nd this.

They should have posted the changes, but for how mindless and non-risky champ farming is they were right to lower the rewards.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Qaelyn.7612

Sorry!

Go run Arah please! Maybe it’ll get them to fix bugs that let you skip everything and its nan ^^

Heh. I’m too new. About to cap my first char and I have yet to even set foot into a dungeon.

I hope to soon, though, so get your rewards from them while you can!

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

2nd this.

They should have posted the changes, but for how mindless and non-risky champ farming is they were right to lower the rewards.

Champ farming is only on 2 maps and possibly a dungeon….Champions on the other hand are in every map and dungeon. The change affects more than just champ farming.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Zerole.7306

Zerole.7306

Champ farming is only on 2 maps and possibly a dungeon….Champions on the other hand are in every map and dungeon. The change affects more than just champ farming.

True, however it was borderline abused in QDale, which in turn gave a very poor first impression of the game in the busiest newbie zone. Overall its a good change, as I think most can agree that reward should go hand in hand with risk.

You still get a few items, the event exp (and complete credit), and karma (where it applies).

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I did the frostgorge champion route for a while, but found it far too boring a playstyle to be worth it. I don’t have any problem with it though and feel it should have remained as a viable option.

Things in this game cost insane amounts. Also, items like silver doubloons are allowed to skyrocket in price when people have no means to aquire them but by paying. No change has been made there, despite all other doubloons having a means to upgrade and so on.

Every time this is done, such as with plinx and the orr events, another avenue of play is rendered barren of players and may as well not be there anymore. Meanwhile, at the other end, events like tequatl are barren because the rewards, even when “buffed”, do not add up to the time and effort that is needed.

In wvw I am already used to opening chests and getting junk….that was upped to two greens instead of just one and its still completely lacking compared to the time invested in achieving one.

This game is too much of a lottery and even the people paying real money to get things like black lion keys are forced to play that lottery. The game takes time, takes money and more often than not gives nothing in return and that is going to kill any love people have for it.

I do not understand the mindset behind this at all.

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

2nd this.

If they lowered the amount on those 2 maps people would simply farm on the next best map. Champ farming right now is just running in a giant zerg pressing 1 with no risk (and it still rewards more than it should). Yes, this does lower the incentive for a person to solo a champ, but in my mind this is a necessary evil in order to stop the many other problems high loot champs bring.

Dungeon rewards need fixing, but that should be done by changing the end reward to match a proper risk reward. Many people still tend to skip any mobs they can even if there is a champ tossed in anyway.

IMO champ loot in the open world should be decent, but not enough to go out of your way ignoring all non-champ DE. It should be an added bonus on top of doing one of the more unique features of GW2, dynamic events (though since most dynamic events tend to also be easy they shouldn’t have extremely high rewards either).

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Posted by: Esper.6712

Esper.6712

I understand the mentality behind this change, but I feel it’s another example of Anet doing some lazy patch up work, rather than focusing on the big picture.

It amazes me that they are still doing this a year after the game has been out. I played at launch, and one of the easiest ways to make money back then was speed running CM (could do it in 9 minutes or so, no diminishing returns). They eventually nerfed dungeon rewards down to a daily so that you can’t run the same dungeon over and over. That’s great, but they never tried to dangle a carrot in front of the other options. In a game where you can buy most of the top end gear through gold, of course people will farm for gold even more than in other games (where you can get some loot through raiding etc). They merely took away the most “unintentionally” enticing carrot of the time, but they never added other carrots (alternatives) to lure people away from such habits, so the problem still exists today.

People tend to run the same dungeons over and over (once a day of course, but the monotony persists). CoF path 1 (10 minutes). AC P1 and P3 etc.

Why create all this content in other dungeons and in other paths, when no one wants to do them? Anet merely encourages farming by creating disparity in rewards for time and risk invested. There are challenging and entertaining paths out there (eg CoE path 2) that only give 1 gold for 45-90+ minutes, when CoF also gives 1 gold for 10 minutes effort.

Rather than punishing people who don’t mind grinding it out for their gold, mats, etc. they should be focusing on incentives and rewards for players who seek “treasure” through other content available in the game. The reason people feel compelled to do things like the Frostgorge and Queensdale train is because there are no worthwhile rewards elsewhere in the game. World bosses are dreadfully boring (as well as zerg based). Dungeon rewards are terribly imbalanced.

The LW situation is no different. It’s a grind fest for AP and rewards. I thought this is what Anet wanted to discourage? Grinding and farming out rewards with a zerg. That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case with the style of Scarlet’s invasions and the Tower of Nightmares. Either Anet is bipolar, or they are being quite hypocritical.

(edited by Esper.6712)

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

John Smith’s explanation sounded all warm and fuzzy….but to my knowledge they have rarely if ever offered any notice or explanation when game rewards are nerfed.

The karma nerf was arguably the biggest one in terms of impact on the game….was that ever given notice or explained in a release note? If it was, my apologies. But I don’t believe it was… There have been at least a dozen threads expressing outrage at that karma nerf, and I never saw any Anet spokesman offer any insight or explanation about it at all.

I guess it’s nice of Mr. Smith to post here, but I don’t buy it. I have been watching the constant “silent” manipulations of this game for too long.

I’ve already swapped out my MMO mouse for my FPS mouse…no going back for me…..LOL.

(edited by The Stain.4169)

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I wish Anet would look into adressing the “champ train issue” in a way that wouldnt make killing the occasional champion you come across with regular play less enticing to kill.

Imo they should make the champ bags attractive but look into derailing the known trains like frostgorge with some alternate events and more random spawn timers.

Posted by: LostInSmoke.2590

LostInSmoke.2590

This is a terrible terrible change. Like usual, something that only provides a moderate income gets nerfed, and TP tycoons still make thousands.

You’re nerfing the wrong stuff.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

So tired of this game supporting the fatcat TP flippers.

Don’t play the game > have funds to buy/sell everything.
Play the game > Be poor as kitten and expected to buy gems.

I just don’t even understand what the kitten this economy is about anymore.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Really? Why did you nerf the gold drop???

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Humbolio.2174

Humbolio.2174

I was doing champ farming and can honestly say that farming lol 80 risen on my lonesome is faster and more lucrative.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Really? Why did you nerf the gold drop???

Because we can’t have nice things.

They throw us a bone by making champs more worthwhile, someone figures out how it can become the next big money making activity since speed running CoF and now they have to take most of it away because it caused some very unsportsman like behavior in a starting zone.

When within five posts of a newbie asking what should they be doing is “Champ Train”, the behavior of players is broken. The game is suppose to be about exploring and helping but it keeps devolving into extremely limited activities because players have been weened in other MMOs to believe that only through acquisition of items (via wealth here) via grind is where an MMO shines.

But we aren’t suppose to be a bunch of sword sells looking for the best pay just because some armor catches our eye.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Qaelyn.7612

I gotta say, having farmed Frostgorge last night for the first time, that while it was fun, it was also a bit ridiculous.

I was level 75 the day before when I decided to explore to unlock all the waypoints. That was a challenge — I have mediocre gear (at best) and many of the 79/80 mobs were tough for me.

But the train itself? The only challenge was getting to the mobs fast enough so I could get a couple of hits in before they were dead. I’m serious about that — if I got stuck or delayed by 15 seconds, I missed out. They seemed to be able to do 6 champions in under 5 minutes, then wait a minute or two and repeat it.

I get why people want to do it. I also get why Arenanet might want to nerf it.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

One thing I did notice is that it is almost impossible for me to collect dragonite ore with my luck versus the rng. I have everything needed to build an Ascended weapon but for 200 dragonite. I already have my WvW season achievement locked up, already have enough Champions for the November monthly, in fact have all the Living stories done up to date but no dragonite. The only option I have now is to farm Jormag as that is the only time I have collected any dragonite at all.

Theftwind (HoD)