October 15th balance/skills updates preview.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Sorry, Lithril … but there are a number of Thief users, myself included, who disagree. That’s why Thief has both Evasion (Acrobatics) AND Stealth (Shadow Arts). Either option can bring the kills, if you’re good. With that said, the Stealth/SA side is a lot easier to use for wins.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Regarding the change to Sic ’em, giving a specific class a counter to stealth is just stupid in my opinion, and I think it’s the wrong kind of counter anyway. For me it would make perfect sense to nerf perma stealth in a different way, perhaps like limiting the amount of times you can stack stealth to 2 or 3 times? I think the main problem with stealthing is how it can be easily abused to stay stealthed for very long periods of time, and this would make doing that impossible.

stealthing is how thieves reset fights, you deny a restealth resets will not happen. stealthing , if they perma stealth its a privelage to you to reset and get ready for a spike in damage…so use this timeing…block up, heal, boon up and prepare. removing the amount of times a stack of stealth can happen would kill the class entirely as well, not to mention combo fielding, the skills and trait line for other classes with stealth as well.
“suck it up buttercup” would be an understatement. Thieves deal no damage in stealth …period, at most they can lay traps that just apply a condition/use caltrops which you can easily walk out of. they break stealth its 3 seconds till they can do it again(4 for spvp)…thieves can be hit IN STEALTH as well. they are not GODS, they hit hard/dps and reset fights as where anyone fighting them sit there, rotating the cameras trying to find out where the thief will hit when in FACT, they need to prepare first and foremost for a high damage spike. so stealth duration is not the problem, nor how many times you can apply it, its the “wait” before the dagger in your back/sword in your temple / the bullet in your noggin that drives every-single-class complaining about thieves nuts…and THAT is a fact.

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Some venoms are great, like BV, Skale venom, and DV, but Spider venom is just a poor excuse to dish more poison out. If anything it should be the go-to skill for leeching venoms by reducing the poison duration per hit but increasing the number of hits.

As for stealth counters, just ask thieves for kittens sake! Stop beating this pony, let it run gracefully in a field because it’s likely it can’t hurt you unless you are a zerker yourself and have no prior experience with stealth mechanics (never played one, or against one).

When I first played this game, it was making a thief. I tried tons of builds out, did all content even if it rewarded me with nothing but copper, I learned thief. After a few months I got bored and made a ranger, and a warrior. At the time I was still new to the gw2 forums but I saw numerous posts on “stealth nerfs” and thought, am I doing something wrong? I continued to play my warrior and ranger and found stealth to be WAY overrated. I had no issues taking on a thief, in fact mesmers gave me harder troubles. Not because they could stealth but because they could stealth and send distraction targets, making their current position much harder to pin point. In any case, stealth isn’t op, its a mechanic you have to learn and the best way to learn it, is to use it yourself. If you can jump on a thief in spvp and wipe people out 20-0 then stealth is prolly op. But Gl to you. (and no custom matches, random hot join galore, go kill some unsuspecting individual with quickness d/d stealth bomb in full zerker. Most people have no problems countering that nowadays).

Word…My biggest issue is Venom Share, if your going to “share” venoms, make it PArty preiority to get those venoms first, if you applied a venom of any kind to the party member, they need to have high condition damage for it to take effect, and considering that Venom share only shares your charges (5,3,1 etc) per venom, i dont see why venom share can temporarily apply YOUR OWN condition damage to the party your venom share effected…because of those Venom Charges, its not a permanent stat change, but its only a condition change to match the thief’s condition damage…again…only for however many charges are applied to you Venom Wise.
IE: 5 charges(next five attacks) of spider venom

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Ele was my main forever. After playing with others and coming back to it (post nerf) I realized the class is borderline worthless. Now im not saying it cant work, because it does and it works well…. but, every Ele is forced into the same trait lines and similar build altogether. Its really bad. I was all for eles not having weapon swap but eff it you might as well give it to them since staff basically sucks anyway, let us have x/x and staff. Give the staff an auto attack similar to the guardians. With that said, ditch the clones on mesmer auto attack with scepter and increase the attack speed, no one will beg you for MH pistol anymore

This is the main issue with Scepter:

from what i gather i see the complaint of attack speed with sceptor…
and heres my logical response to any skill complaints about attack speed etc, including necro sceptor 1 skills…

Flight time is a factor to how fast you can attack a target, if the sceptor 1 skills hit, they switch to the 2nd skill 1 sceptor skill and if THAT hits it then switches again to the 3rd and final attack before it resets to the 1st skill 1 skill. If a target is closer then obviously your going to have a faster attack speed because the time the orb* is in the air itll hit the target FASTER than it would if it took 1-3 seconds to hit while being farther away…there should not be a fix for this, its a matter of learning game mechanics.

btw: hugging a target and doing this made it happen for FAR more dps in sceptor builds now….GG all

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Regarding the change to Sic ’em, giving a specific class a counter to stealth is just stupid in my opinion, and I think it’s the wrong kind of counter anyway. For me it would make perfect sense to nerf perma stealth in a different way, perhaps like limiting the amount of times you can stack stealth to 2 or 3 times? I think the main problem with stealthing is how it can be easily abused to stay stealthed for very long periods of time, and this would make doing that impossible.

l2p without perma stealth. some of us thieves can manage without that crutch.

The addition of a noskill one button hard counter to stealth will barely tickle perma-stealth but it will severely hurt all normal thief stealth builds. It’s completely the wrong direction. Add a 3-4 second internal cooldown to infusion of shadow, problem solved.

stealthing is not the problem, read my past quote replies…its the damage coming from it. if someone perma stealths, let them, and prepare for the fight to be a long one and damage coming back at you, during a perma stealth, it would be the time to heal and boon up like a smart player, not sit still and whine.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Adding more anti-stealth is an improvement. And good to hear it implied that more is on the way.

It seems like this is always case with any MMO that has used instant invisibility cloaking as their stealth mechanic. The mechanic gets put in and then the game sees a constant series of necessary nerfs in an endless effort to balance it.

Mind explaining how thieves and some mesmer would feel? Any buff’s for them to counter-act over-nerfing? or just beat on one class, without much explanation or re-balancing?

I have a level 80 mesmer and a thief is one of my alts and I still see invsio-stealth as a terrible mechanic in MMOs.

I’m sure that ArenaNet will handle the balancing as best as they can, I’m simply pointing out that every MMO I have seen with this mechanic has been plagued by a constant need to adjust it. This is not the last time we will stealth being tweaked and it will continue as long as GW2 exists.

It is a pity that ArenaNet could not have come up with some alternative to inviso-stealth that worked better without the endless need for tuning.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Adding more anti-stealth is an improvement. And good to hear it implied that more is on the way.

It seems like this is always case with any MMO that has used instant invisibility cloaking as their stealth mechanic. The mechanic gets put in and then the game sees a constant series of necessary nerfs in an endless effort to balance it.

Mind explaining how thieves and some mesmer would feel? Any buff’s for them to counter-act over-nerfing? or just beat on one class, without much explanation or re-balancing?

I have a level 80 mesmer and a thief is one of my alts and I still see invsio-stealth as a terrible mechanic in MMOs.

I’m sure that ArenaNet will handle the balancing as best as they can, I’m simply pointing out that every MMO I have seen with this mechanic has been plagued by a constant need to adjust it. This is not the last time we will stealth being tweaked and it will continue as long as GW2 exists.

It is a pity that ArenaNet could not have come up with some alternative to inviso-stealth that worked better without the endless need for tuning.

No other decent MMO has allow perma stealth during combat. ANET should lengthen stealth time out of combat but shut down any stealth once in combat. Good thieves would be fine with that change, trust me.

OP’d thief, lol

Posted by: katubug.6378

katubug.6378

I admit I haven’t read all of these…but please rethink the necro trait that summons the jagged horror. They should be moved to a different line, or removed entirely. My conditionmancer doesn’t need a random minion every few minutes.

Posted by: SQLOwns.7316

SQLOwns.7316

So eles are still the weakest class in the game? Awesome, I love 3 shotting them with my stealthed thief Thanks ANET!!!

SQL Owns – Elementalist
Dragon Steel [DSL]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Guardian hammer needs a better skill rotation. In pve its usually auto attack and use skill 2 for blast finisher and damage. This makes hammer useful for 2 skills since the other three are situational.

My suggestion:

Banish deals double damage to enemies immune to launch. This encourages players to use banish for dps against launch immune targets like bosses.

Wall of Warding, should give a chill debuff while enemis remain in the wall.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

(edited by Aza.2105)

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

No other decent MMO has allow perma stealth during combat. ANET should lengthen stealth time out of combat but shut down any stealth once in combat. Good thieves would be fine with that change, trust me.

That would eliminate in combat burst from dagger mainhand, dazing from sword, sneak attack from pistol mainhand, and immobilize from bow. I guess we could all switch to S/P and use auto attack while spamming 3.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Sanduskel.1850

You can attack from stealth, but whatever it takes. Staying stealthed during combat is a broken mechanic though.

OP’d thief, lol

Posted by: Taci.8125

Taci.8125

Can you guys just remove Ele from this game, please? Then I’ll be forced to play another class instead of hoping it to get balanced and fixed. I spent so much time on this class for nothing. It was fun to play before the unecessary and pointless nerfs and now it’s just kittening useless, and everybody knows it. People even kick me in parties before I even say something. This is pathetic.
’’Let’s give them updated Conjure Weapons’’ Really? Who uses that in sPvP/WvW?
’’Let’s make them a better support class with Conjure Weapons’’ Most of people don’t even know how to use them or think they are useless compared to their own skills.

Please Anet, you can do a lot better than that. Don’t say Eles are fine because they’re not. When the game released, it was ok to say that every Ele sucked and they couldn’t play the class right but it’s been a year and we’ve been getting nothing but nerfs or not getting anything AT ALL.

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

+ New pet UI
+ Pets names, are still bugged
+ Pet skill reliability !!! too many time the F2 skill fails
+ Manual control of the pet ( F1/F4 pet skills – F5/F8 controll skills )
+ F2 skill cd timer, it should be like eles attunements and weapon skills.
+ Pet skills linkable.
+ More pet speed.

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

I kept up a thread for a list of improvements rangers want to see in the ranger forum, and now I have gathered the answers regarding the patch, this is what the rangers want:

-better responding pets (e.g. F2 priority) and pet AI
-Invention for pets to avoid damage while dodge-rolling, like invulnerability/evade for the duration.
-visible buffs/conditions on the pet, without being forced to target it.
-option to fight without pets (without losing hypothetical dps)
-decent ranged pets.
-buff “protect me”, give your pet stability for the duration so it won’t be interrupted
by cc
-change “guard” so it will attack my target after breaking stealth
-change “seach and rescue” – the pet can ress defeated allies, but give priority to
downed ones and don’t intterupt it after the ally gets defeated
-rebuff [empathic bond]
-rebuff [zephyr’s speed]
-buff survival skills (e.g. “entangle”, “muddy terrain” and “lightning reflexes”)
-change the MH axe, make it either a power or a condition weapon, if this won’t work, atealst improve traits so we can decide if it’s a condition or power based weapon.
-remove range requirement from longbow
-remove cast time from “signet of the wild”
-increase shortbow range
-interrupt the swords auto-attack when dodge-rolling
-buff some minor traits (e.g. [insinctual bond])
-more party support (e.g. blast finisher on maul)
-more available aoe dmg (e.g. cleave dmg)
-MANLY legendary bows
-a mechanic similar to preparations in GW (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Preparation)
-more available weapons

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Preparation should have been the Ranger mechanic in the first place.

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Ranger Longbow users struggle to pick their traits. I would suggest:
- make 1500 range default on the longbow
- make Remorseless trait default behaviour.
- move Spotter to the Skirmishing trait line

There are a lot of good longbow traits in the Marksmanship trait line, but you can only pick two of them:
Piercing Arrows (Master) – longbow arrows can hit multiple targets
Eagle Eye (Master) – longbow 1500 range and +5% damage
Spotter (Master) – more crit chance
Remorseless (Grandmaster) – only longbow has the stealth to use it
Signet of the Beastmaster (Grandmaster) – great for signet of stone and wild

On top of that, I struggle to pick Skirmishing traits for Longbow. There isn’t really anything, apart from one must-have trait:
Quick Draw (Master) – 20% faster skill recharge for bows

I usually end up taking Sharpened Edges for Adept, eventhough I have no condition damage:
Sharpened Edges(Adapt) – 66% chance for 2s bleed on crit

And I feel forced to skip on equiping a 30 point trait because nothing is left.

So, some Marksmanship traits should become default behaviour or moved to the Skirmishing trait line.

(edited by Holland.9351)

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

All I want for Longbow is for the damage dealt at furthest range to be the normal damage across all ranges. But a longer distance should equal higher critical damage IMO.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

All I want for Longbow is for the damage dealt at furthest range to be the normal damage across all ranges. But a longer distance should equal higher critical damage IMO.

All I want from backstab is for the damage dealt from behind to be the normal damage from all directions. But a stab from behind should equal higher critical damage IMO

RyuDragnier.9476

All I want from backstab is for the damage dealt from behind to be the normal damage from all directions. But a stab from behind should equal higher critical damage IMO

This is completely different from backstab amigo. Backstab is burst damage, and is easy to pull off. Longbow’s #1 is outright useless outside of super long range and it’s very hard to do that in PvE, resulting in the weapon outright sucking to the point where it’s rarely used anywhere but WvW. Whereas the Dagger mainhand on a thief is powerful enough to be used in WvW, PvP, AND PvE.

[hS]

Posted by: meikodesign.6471

meikodesign.6471

Just few things about Rangers :
-remove cast time from “Guard” : It’s a shout
-remove cast time from “Signet of the Wild” : We need an instant Stability option. Or at least make it like “Dolyak Signet”
-buff traited traps range to 900 from 600 (like Necro wells and Guardian consecrations)
-reduce “Muddy Terrain” cast time to 1/2 from 3/4
-make LR damage viable or remove it and add something else (Stun the target, clean immo/cripple/chill)
-buff“protect me” by giving the pet stability and/or protection

Lunavi – Ranger 80 ~ Charr Kuttery – Warrior 80
Little Lunavi – Ranger – Rank 4x
[CPC] Insert Coin – Vizunah Square [FR]

(edited by meikodesign.6471)

Shemsu.8721

This is completely different from backstab amigo. Backstab is burst damage, and is easy to pull off. Longbow’s #1 is outright useless outside of super long range and it’s very hard to do that in PvE, resulting in the weapon outright sucking to the point where it’s rarely used anywhere but WvW. Whereas the Dagger mainhand on a thief is powerful enough to be used in WvW, PvP, AND PvE.

so a MELEE attack thats only available with a special buff, AND requires specific position, is harder to pull off than a 1500 range spammable autoattack? You musta bought the good stuff this week, that or your doctor messed up your prescription. How about we make the under 25% of heartseeker damage apply to all the damage ranges? no, dont like that either. You cant have the full range damage at all ranges, that defeats the purpose, at best if you dont like the mechanic of damage changing on range, then take the mid range damage and make that all ranges, with no changes at full range (since you dont like things changing at full range)

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

::RANGERS::
Merge F1 and F3 into a single button. A basic script to have the pet attack a target
you have selected, and if you tell it to attack a target you have selected that it’s already attacking, it will return.

Change F2 abilities to stop the pet from doing whatever it’s doing and immediately cast. Make all F2 abilities have a .5 second cast time so they still can be countered and dodged. They can use whatever after cast is needed to finish their animations.

Change F3 to give players control over the pet’s secondary attack. Set it to auto-cast as default so new players aren’t overwhelmed by this added functionality.

Make all pets do the same base damage.

Nerf pet base damage so the Ranger’s base weapon damage, skills, and coefficients can be increased so the Ranger itself accounts for 90% of the class’s overall damage. Alternatively, you can allow pets to scale off gear in some fashion so as new content comes out and the gear treadmill gets worse and worse, the Ranger doesn’t always improve the least.

Grant the pet the Aegis buff whenever the Ranger dodges or uses a weapon skill that evades. Some type of internal cooldown (5s) may be needed to avoid abuse (auto attack on gs has an evade), but something needs to be done to allow the pet to avoid damage. You could make pets have 50k health and they’d still only be marginally useful in PvE content because ALL content is designed around avoiding damage and not soaking it up.

Nature spirits shouldn’t need a 30pt trait to be able to move. Personally, I think spirits should just buff our pet. Pet gains an aura that does exactly what spirits do. Spirit abilities are just added onto the F2 abilities. Makes them much more useful to the Ranger class as a whole. They don’t require 30 points to work. They’re easy to counter (since F2 will now have a .5 second cast). You don’t have Zoos running about. I honestly see no downside to this.

Signets also shouldn’t need a 30pt trait to be useful. While you could argue that some signets are powerful, I’m not sure any of them are powerful enough to warrant needing 30pts in Marks just so they affect the Ranger and not just the pet. A toughness signet that gives the Ranger endure pain on use? Come on…

Traps I’m also annoyed with. Do we really need Muddy Terrain, Spike Trap, and Frost Trap all doing effectively the same thing? Remove Spike Trap. Make Barrage a skill. Make it so the first wave of barrage immobalizes all targets for 2 seconds, each successive wave puts the cripple on the target and bleeds the target.

Now that there’s a slot open on longbow, give the class an aimed shot for some burst.

(edited by Atherakhia.4086)

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Give engineer some melee option outside of a wrench. Mace perhaps, it seems fitting. I don’t play one but I know many engi’s and it seems odd they have no fitting melee option. The lack of melee is 1 of a few reason I won’t make an engi, but maybe there is an alternative in there idk. Help me out!

Give ele an elite skill to weapon swap (weapon slots open when elite is equipped). Give it idk a 60 second cooldown. Reason being that some boss fights take a long time (more than 1m) and you may really have to swap between support and dps at times. Also most ele elites are rather weak in boss fights OR are too risky to use(fgs). As for wvw or spvp, it just makes the ele have to decide. Do I want to go crazy with an elite skill or swap my group utility?

Grant guardian spirits more defences and to not explode when they use their main skill. Treat it like ranger spirits, the cooldown is short but only starts when the spirit dies. They can use their skills after a cooldown.

For thief, change trip wire and needle trap to something useful. Like needle trap should stay around for awhile, immobilizing and poisoning foes that cross it for the duration (reduce immobilize duration to maybe 2 seconds). Trip wire should have a lower cooldown or kd the foe who crosses it, and cripple all nearby foes as the wire snaps.

Ranger shouts need buffs, they are too weak on their own. Search and rescue should fear foes when it reaches its target, protect me should grant the pet protection for the duration, and sic em should cause the pet to apply aoe fury at it’s location. Just some ideas, but idk if revealed from sic em is the right move.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

If a Ranger pet dies, its switch cooldown does from 20 seconds to 60 seconds. That’s 3 times longer. Pets die all the time and often the Ranger has no power to prevent it.

Normalize the cooldown to 20 seconds for both a dead or a living pet. It’s wrong to punish the player for something he has no control over. At the very least make it 40 seconds for a dead pet. 60 seconds is excessive. 30 seconds might be the middle ground.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I’d be happy if they reverted the Ranger’s Search and Rescue w/a 4000 unit range back to its former glory of rezzing defeated players. That was so friggin useful especially in dungeons.

Oh, and a keybind for Avoid Combat/Guard should have been in the game from the beginning. That’s just silly that it isn’t there.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Kraav.8136

Kraav.8136

Can we make the Guardian Signet of Wrath useful?

Change the condition damage to Precision and bring the damage component of the active to same level as Bane Signet. 1/2 second activation time wouldn’t hurt as well.

RyuDragnier.9476

so a MELEE attack thats only available with a special buff, AND requires specific position, is harder to pull off than a 1500 range spammable autoattack? You musta bought the good stuff this week, that or your doctor messed up your prescription. How about we make the under 25% of heartseeker damage apply to all the damage ranges? no, dont like that either. You cant have the full range damage at all ranges, that defeats the purpose, at best if you dont like the mechanic of damage changing on range, then take the mid range damage and make that all ranges, with no changes at full range (since you dont like things changing at full range)

My problem with long-range shot is the fact that 1 shot at max range equals 1 and a half normal greatsword autoattack stages at close range. Most of the time you’re not at max range, and the damage is less than or barely higher than every other ranger mainhand weapon autoattack (except for axe, which has ricochet to make up for that, and shortbow, which has pure fast DPS).

There’s absolutely nothing making this weapon worth taking at all in terms of autoattack, because you need max range just to pull off an actual good attack. As much as I love using this weapon for #2-5, I keep it off most of the time because the #1 isn’t worth the hassle when Axe and Shortbow do better than it.

[hS]

Posted by: zzal.4163

zzal.4163

ranger pets , perhaps a new trait/skill to stow pets put it on a timer say 10 mins cooldown it would be handy against boss/dungeon mob as no amount added hp for the pet would work more than a few secs. in those 10 mins ranger picks up all the dps from the stowed pet doing it alone instead of watching the pet die and then been down on dps..

Posted by: Carl the Well Endowed.6925

Carl the Well Endowed.6925

If rangers actually had the ability to keep foes at long distance than this would make sense, but any class can close the distance and make the longbow almost completely useless. Sure we have the knockback but that is mitigated by stability and now stun break will also get you out of this. “Hunter’s Shot” should have a root similar to the warriors “Pin Down” making the lb a little more viable 1v1 (although it would still be next to useless unless the damage at close range is increased).

Shemsu.8721

If rangers actually had the ability to keep foes at long distance than this would make sense, but any class can close the distance and make the longbow almost completely useless. Sure we have the knockback but that is mitigated by stability and now stun break will also get you out of this. “Hunter’s Shot” should have a root similar to the warriors “Pin Down” making the lb a little more viable 1v1 (although it would still be next to useless unless the damage at close range is increased).

Again, this is not making sense. Your asking for a weapon designed to be long range, to be most effective at melee? I want my dagger to be effective at 1500 range, guess i shoulda picked a different weapon. Thats not what its for, every weapon (mostly) has a place and a purpose. If your going to fight up close, dont take longbow or make it effective at at short range, and take away the 1200-1500 range and bring it down to 120-300 like everyone elses close range weapons.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Again, this is not making sense. Your asking for a weapon designed to be long range, to be most effective at melee? I want my dagger to be effective at 1500 range, guess i shoulda picked a different weapon. Thats not what its for, every weapon (mostly) has a place and a purpose. If your going to fight up close, dont take longbow or make it effective at at short range, and take away the 1200-1500 range and bring it down to 120-300 like everyone elses close range weapons.

There is no reason the bow should be any less effective at short range than a shortbow is. I don’t know how far back your conversation goes with the other person, but a simple and suitable change would be for longbow to deal 1 set of damage from 0-900 yards and another set of damage for 900+. If 900-1500 is too large to provide the elevated damage, so be it and break it inhalf at 900+. But for the overlapping range of shortbow, the longbow should provide about the same overall DPS. Not significantly less.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Ironically a lot of long range siege type weapons are far more effective in melee than they ever are at range.

Thief Shortbow Clusterbomb for instance.

Engy Grenades.

Guardian Sceptre.

Warrior Longbow.

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

Might have been mentioned before but I hope those land-specific trait will be changed so that they have SOME effect underwater. Namely, any weapon-cooldown reduction that ain’t spear/trident/harpoon gun and various type of utility skills cooldown reduction that are not usable underwater.

When did i ever say make it most effective at short range?

That’s besides the point anyway. As a thief Anet has given you the tools to get up to close range with your target and to stay within that range. As a ranger using a long bow we have almost no tools at our disposal to keep anything in the effective range. I do not think that the lb should do as much damage at short range as it does at long range but I do think that its attacks need to have the ability to keep people at longer range, whether that be by adding a cripple or a root or whatever.

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

I have a question about the ranger/pet destealthing thing. If you can not see a target so you can target it , then how do you tell the pet to Sick’Em?

For potential future, I really dislike the ground target/pointer direction target thing. Give me the option to anchor AE ground target abilities to an actual target.

Knote.2904

I have a question about the ranger/pet destealthing thing. If you can not see a target so you can target it , then how do you tell the pet to Sick’Em?

For potential future, I really dislike the ground target/pointer direction target thing. Give me the option to anchor AE ground target abilities to an actual target.

I believe the idea is the ranger pre emptively uses Sic Em, pet is glued to the thief for 15 seconds and the thief is revealed if the pet hits him.

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

I am in total agreement with Shemsu there are many options available to keep a player at far range (traps, pet cripples, a hard knockback, traits, an easy-access stealth for positioning, copious forms of Swiftness/movespeed etc.).

If among these many options you can’t find anything to make the bow work then maybe it’s just not the right weapon for you, but I’m unconvinced that the skills should be dumbed down based on the unconvincing arguments made here. A weapon with range alone is at a marked advantage in PvP.

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

We’re working on the staff in an effort to make it a stronger support weapon, and we also improved the conjure weapons so that they’re stronger for support. You’ll see improvements to all 4 of the conjure weapons to make them stronger and better for support.

We also increased the healing on Water Blast, the radius on Geyser and we reworked
Unsteady Ground to make it function more like line of warding.

you dont think we will be to OP? i mean incr healing on waterblast and radius on geyser wil be gamebreaking unsteady ground on staff woah

please dont buff us so much

How often have you seen a ranger running a lb traps build? Rarely if ever because to make traps effective (castable and do significant damage) you need to use both the master and grandmaster traits in Skimishing which will not allow you to use “Quick Draw” which is 20% decrease in the cooldowns for lb and sb. Also traps are full conditions while lb attacks are straight damage. They do not work all that well together. Now entangle is our best skill for rooting an yes if I can get that off without it being evaded that will often be a death sentence for a squishy but if attacked the roots will die in a couple of attacks so you cannot count on them being reliable against someone who knows what they are doing.

If you are in WvW you will be hard pressed to keep your pet alive and even if you do the pet cannot attack while moving and will finish the attack that it is on before using its F2 skill as you direct which means that the F2 skill often wont pop until 1-2 seconds after casting giving you ample time to get out of the range of the stationary pet. It sounds like this may be fixed in the neat future (keeping fingers crossed).

The range on the lb is a marked advantage in PvP. I hope you are referring to WvW where yes it is very effective especially sieging/defending. In spvp however a high dps thief will kill a lb ranger 9 times out of 10. All the knockbacks in the world wont help me if I have no idea where my target is and if he can remove my ranged advantage with one stealth.

Sure we have a stealth now but unlike other classes our stealth is completely based on hitting an enemy. Not really the most reliable.

True rangers have all the swiftness they need but even that will not keep foes away for long. Most every class (if not every one) has a leap to target attack or a teleport to target or both. Sure while those are on cooldown I may be able to keep you a bit further away (assuming you dont cc me at all) but surely not to the max damage of the lb.

Even for PvE the lb isnt as good as it used to be. Hunter’s Shot is nearly useless and we can no longer take advantage of the 10 stacks of vulnerability (15 if traited) we could apply instantly. Now we stack them one at a time only holding the full 10 stacks for 2 seconds.

Posted by: Sentry.3691

Sentry.3691

A pet is a ranger’s companion. The pet is a part of the ranger. We need more control of what he can and what he can’t do. Some dungeons mechanics in this game are just cruel for the ranger’s pet.

The pet must be able to learn about the mobs mechanics and adapt to them in order to survive. The only choices a ranger has (guard and attack) are like “don’t do anything” and “try to do something”.

+ for new pet UI and AI.

The problem is that pet AI issues will NEVER be fixed. Anet is not going to design an entirely new AI system just for Ranger pets. That is why so many Rangers are asking for pet damage to be nerfed into the ground so that Ranger damage can be increased.

I see it as the only viable solution. Turn the Ranger pet into an annoying, mobile tank with utility skills but little to no damage.

Shemsu.8721

Ironically a lot of long range siege type weapons are far more effective in melee than they ever are at range.

Engy Grenades.

Guardian Sceptre.

Warrior Longbow.

Thief shortbow is long range siege? are you joking? Rangers can throw a dagger farther than thief can shoot a shortbow, thief shortbow is medium range at best, and thats assuming that the enemy doesnt sit down, have a cup of tea then sidestep (dont even have to dodge) one step away to avoid both of the damage attacks

Posted by: Avatara.1042

We’re working on the staff in an effort to make it a stronger support weapon, and we also improved the conjure weapons so that they’re stronger for support. You’ll see improvements to all 4 of the conjure weapons to make them stronger and better for support.

We also increased the healing on Water Blast, the radius on Geyser and we reworked
Unsteady Ground to make it function more like line of warding.

you dont think we will be to OP? i mean incr healing on waterblast and radius on geyser wil be gamebreaking unsteady ground on staff woah

please dont buff us so much

They will not pick up on your sarcasm.

(edited by Avatara.1042)

Sanduskel.1850

Engy Grenades.

Guardian Sceptre.

Warrior Longbow.

Thief shortbow is long range siege? are you joking? Rangers can throw a dagger farther than thief can shoot a shortbow, thief shortbow is medium range at best, and thats assuming that the enemy doesnt sit down, have a cup of tea then sidestep (dont even have to dodge) one step away to avoid both of the damage attacks

actually ranger dagger and thief sb are the same range.

OP’d thief, lol

Knote.2904

Engy Grenades.

Guardian Sceptre.

Warrior Longbow.

Um… yes, clusterbomb is long range siege.

1200 slow high dmg exploding projectiles, hard to use long range and much slower DPS, easy as kitten to hit melee range and much higher DPS.

Err, and thief with shortbow should be the last person to complain about people side stepping their auto’s, thief shortbow auto actually homes in a bit, how does it miss on people side stepping lol?

Go talk to a guardian. =p

Posted by: Cronicle.5691

Cronicle.5691

To Devs.

Please look into Thief deadly arts master trait; “Improvisation”.

I’m very confused with the intention of this trait as 10% damage increase for using a “bundle” (note: it does not effect thieves steal skill bundles) is hardly worth taking it for and the rng is too unreliable of a trait to make it effective and a master like trait. This trait feels more outdated and forgotten since beta.

1st. The trait misinforms its actual function.
2nd. the Rng is unreliable. i can put 3 deception skills on my utility bar, non will recharge after 20 steals, or mix matching deception, tricks, and traps, still non instantly recharges.
3rd. something else could/should replace this trait

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Engy Grenades.

Guardian Sceptre.

Warrior Longbow.

1200 slow high dmg exploding projectiles, hard to use long range and much slower DPS, easy as kitten to hit melee range and much higher DPS.

Err, and thief with shortbow should be the last person to complain about people side stepping their auto’s, thief shortbow auto actually homes in a bit, how does it miss on people side stepping lol?

Cluster Bomb has been nerfed to 900 range ages ago.
Trick Shot’s initial has long been nerfed to be side-steppable. Only subsequent bounces are still super-homing

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Get out of my head, zencow. I was just about to say that. Thief has nothing -weapon-wise- past 900 range, period. Which is -imho- only an issue during boss fights or wvw sieges. I know I can typically keep a punk in kill-range.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Shemsu.8721

Engy Grenades.

Guardian Sceptre.

Warrior Longbow.

Wow your so wrong, all shortbow attacks are 900, thief has NO 1200 range weapon at all. Secondly they nerfed shortbow auto, it does NOT home anymore, just a straight shot thats easy to sidestep. Read patch notes more man, this is all very very old news. And clusterbomb melee range will be relevant when i can shadowstep up tower walls, until then I’m forced to be at range with one attack thats barely viable. try again

Shemsu.8721

Engy Grenades.

Guardian Sceptre.

Warrior Longbow.

actually ranger dagger and thief sb are the same range.

short bow all attacks are 900

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crippling_Talon
ranger dagger 1200

try again?