Omnomberry pie: long overdue change

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

- Food items that give special bonuses upon a critical hit now have an internal cooldown before they can produce the special bonus again.

Nobody can say they didn’t see that coming I guess, stacking precision as a defensive stat to capitalize on healing from that item is now officially over. I guess that was long overdue actually.

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

Wow, now I’m feeling pretty darn good now. :-)

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

awwwww what the….. oh well, argh,,,,, just cant explain what i really feel….. this is my bread and butter in surviving my toon without rellying too much on healing gears

Posted by: golantrevize.2394

golantrevize.2394

oh god why? My healing ele will be kitten squishy from now ;-)

Varda Elentàri || D/D DPS ele || Baruch Bay [SoC]

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

He mods, nice ninja on the thread title. xD

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

The problem is that they have offered no offset and have thus eliminated a number of builds from the list of “end game viable”, which for many professions was already a very short list. This problem has been acknowledged by the developers, with the admission that they want at least 5-6 viable builds for each profession, but many are currently stuck with one or two. You can now scratch at least one “end game viable” build from each profession with this change, maybe more.

This is the kind of nerf that always irks me the most from MMO developers. Looking at the heal on crit food effect in isolation, it may have been obviously disproportional in it’s impact on the game. However, when taken in context with the greater whole, it had just become an “unintended” FIX for an aspect of the game that was clearly BROKEN, which was variety of end game viable builds.

So, yay to the developers, you managed to snatch some very low hanging fruit, while making the game the worse for it by pushing the change with out the needed fixes to professions that would have made the food effect redundant.

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

The problem is that they have offered no offset and have thus eliminated a number of builds from the list of “end game viable”, which for many professions was already a very short list. This problem has been acknowledged by the developers, with the admission that they want at least 5-6 viable builds for each profession, but many are currently stuck with one or two. You can now scratch at least one “end game viable” build from each profession with this change, maybe more.

This is the kind of nerf that always irks me the most from MMO developers. Looking at the heal on crit food effect in isolation, it may have been obviously disproportional in it’s impact on the game. However, when taken in context with the greater whole, it had just become an “unintended” FIX for an aspect of the game that was clearly BROKEN, which was variety of end game viable builds.

So, yay to the developers, you managed to snatch some very low hanging fruit, while making the game the worse for it by pushing the change with out the needed fixes to professions that would have made the food effect redundant.

Yep, I can’t really play my Pistol Whip thief anymore, now I “MUST” go stealth critical copy cutter thief.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

How strange… I simply have a build on my mesmer I threw together to be balanced and there’s no end game content I can’t handle, including WvW. Oh… never used Omnomberry pie either.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Definitely agree with OP. It is fair now and it was deserved. Nice fix

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

Quick, sell the pies!

Magummadweller

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Yep, I can’t really play my Pistol Whip thief anymore, now I “MUST” go stealth critical copy cutter thief.

That may be true, but this is a good fix that was definitely long overdue regardless of its side effects. Hopefully now that you can’t use those builds as effectively will be a signal for ANet as to what to buff in the next patch. They’ve already said that they buff things based on usage, so something going completely unused is a definite signal for them to fix it up.

My only question is: What is the internal cooldown?

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Good fix in my opinion. A build should be supplemented by food items, not rely them.

Depending on the cooldown length, this might still be a useful product.

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

That may be true, but this is a good fix that was definitely long overdue regardless of its side effects. Hopefully now that you can’t use those builds as effectively will be a signal for ANet as to what to buff in the next patch. They’ve already said that they buff things based on usage, so something going completely unused is a definite signal for them to fix it up.

i guess and hope its 2 secs at least like sigil of blood

Daecollo.9578

it only does 4% of what it did before in most builds, thats a 96% nerf.

Posted by: Ghettoblade.7962

Ghettoblade.7962

Only fair to the people that WvW..But i guess its all about you..Whiney little kittens.

Nerf should only work in WvW and PvP..PvE players get screwed again…

(edited by Ghettoblade.7962)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Stealing 325 health every 2 seconds is not useful for anyone. It essentially makes the food useless.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Daecollo.9578

Stealing 325 health every 2 seconds is not useful for anyone. It essentially makes the food useless.

Yep, might as well use the 10% Critical Damage food.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

What bothers me is this: this removed a lot of Warrior survivability. Where is our increased tankyness to compensate? Even Warriors who do not go all ’zerker are relying on Pies/Ghosts to survive.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

just one thing they did not think about when patching this – the food will be 100% useless like so many other patched things.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Daecollo.9578

When fun things like this are nerfed, it makes people leave the game, and the fact they didn’t even ask the players there opinion on the nerf shows that they don’t really listen to what the players like.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Never used food much anyway. ArenaNet may say that they assume people use food at all times, but to me, consumables just aren’t part of my game.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Koga.7215

Koga.7215

if it ends up being a 1/2sec cooldown, essentially making it so you can only get 1 heal per attack (few from channeled skilled like PW) essentially making it so you can not AoE spam yourself to full health in large packs of trash or in zergs in WvW then I am ok with the change, still viable for most situations (bosses). Remove its OP in AoE spam situations and the food is fine.

if it is any more than 2seconds I realy ask if any testing is done whatsoever..

also, for those it will make them give attention to those other builds for next month.. if they make this type of change, they need the other adjustment today also, not next month. many will stop playing for the month if its that bad and potentially never come back.

Daecollo.9578

if it ends up being a 1/2sec cooldown, essentially making it so you can only get 1 heal per attack (few from channeled skilled like PW) essentially making it so you can not AoE spam yourself to full health in large packs of trash or in zergs in WvW then I am ok with the change, still viable for most situations (bosses). Remove its OP in AoE spam situations and the food is fine.

also, for those it will make them give attention to those other builds for next month.. if they make this type of change, they need the other adjustment today also, not next month. many will stop playing for the month if its that bad and potentially never come back.

Its made 1-2 builds of each class no longer viable.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Even if it is 2 seconds “only”, the food is still going to be useless.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Warriors can’t survive now? Really?

I believe that is an overstatement and maybe a certain niche of warriors (full zerker warriors) will have a harder time surviving but certainly not all warriors as a whole.

Oglaf.1074

I believe that is an overstatement and maybe a certain niche of warriors (full zerker warriors) will have a harder time surviving but certainly not all warriors as a whole.

Yes, yes we will. Warrior sustain is horrible. Getting hit by random cleave from melee mobs will be a lot worse.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: redhare.9210

redhare.9210

What bothers me is this: this removed a lot of Warrior survivability. Where is our increased tankyness to compensate? Even Warriors who do not go all ’zerker are relying on Pies/Ghosts to survive.

That is false, I survive just fine without them. If you are downed every second then you might want to look how your playing and tweak it.

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

I’m fine with this. Pies were a crutch that let people build full glass while staying durable, and they diminished the value of skillful play. There are plenty of other great defensive food options out there, but now if you want to play a glass cannon, you’re going to actually be squishy. This is the way it should be, and we might even see some more build diversity now that building for survival is more important. Definitely a good move on Anet’s part.

Daecollo.9578

Yes, yes we will. Warrior sustain is horrible. Getting hit by random cleave from melee mobs will be a lot worse.

I guess warriors have to all go rifle now, Melee will be horrible without the sustain they had before.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I guess warriors have to all go rifle now, Melee will be horrible without the sustain they had before.

Or they could….you know….wear some toughness gear. Guess us Guardians will just have to carry warriors more than ever. (Note, Sarcasm meters should be blowing up now.)

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Anything above 1 second ICD and im going to use Mango Pies or other dps food and swap a few pieces of my zerk gear for knights, kitten it.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

Eh, I’ll just go with cavalier ascended and axe/shield most likely, maybe full knights too? Not sure at the moment haven’t played without food in a while. Should be fun.

Magummadweller

Oglaf.1074

Or they could….you know….wear some toughness gear. Guess us Guardians will just have to carry warriors more than ever. (Note, Sarcasm meters should be blowing up now.)

I’m wearing Knight’s.

All the Toughness/Vitality in the world will not help you as a Warrior because you do not have the awesome sustain of a Guardian.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

This just shows how poor their build customization is when a consumable buff is what makes or breaks a build. Omnomberry pie was better than any only crit heal trait or sigil in the game, it needed nerfed. In fact if it has a 2s cooldown and still heals for 325(iirc) it is STILL way better than the necromancers on crit heal trait and on hit heal traits combined. What needed to happen alongside that nerf was buffing all the on hit/crit heal traits in the game, make them scale better with healing power, etc so that healing on crit/hit builds were actually viable.

Daecollo.9578

I’m wearing Knight’s.

All the Toughness/Vitality in the world will not help you as a Warrior because you do not have the awesome sustain of a Guardian.

33% Protection, 15% Damage Reduction Signet, Heal whenever you get a boon.

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

Quick, sell the pies!

i actualy bought a lot yesterday ><

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

My full zerker warrior does just fine without silly heal to full food. Then again, I’m not the cookie cutter greatsword hundred blade zerker. I’m a 70% boon duration sword/axe giant asura zerker warrior

Also, she’s cute as a button and the way her head flops around after whirlwind never fails to crack me up.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Daecollo.9578

My full zerker warrior does just fine without silly heal to full food. Then again, I’m not the cookie cutter greatsword hundred blade zerker. I’m a 70% boon duration sword/axe giant asura zerker warrior

Also, she’s cute as a button and the way her head flops around after whirlwind never fails to crack me up.

- The last thing he said.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Maybe those zerker warriors will finally “lose” some of their OPness now. Nerfing them without nerfing their skills, nice job.

Posted by: OnionXI.6735

OnionXI.6735

Even in mostly/full toughness gear on my guardian and warrior omnomberry pies have been invaluable for being able to actually melee. My guardian it might be less of an issue but my warrior…will have to see when dungeons reset.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

This just shows how poor their build customization is when a consumable buff is what makes or breaks a build. Omnomberry pie was better than any only crit heal trait or sigil in the game, it needed nerfed. In fact if it has a 2s cooldown and still heals for 325(iirc) it is STILL way better than the necromancers on crit heal trait and on hit heal traits combined. What needed to happen alongside that nerf was buffing all the on hit/crit heal traits in the game, make them scale better with healing power, etc so that healing on crit/hit builds were actually viable.

^this. I can understand them wanting to nerf the food, but as a D/D necro this small change and the fact they didn’t buff vampiric precision will HURT. Mango pies here i come….

Daecollo.9578

Even in mostly/full toughness gear on my guardian and warrior omnomberry pies have been invaluable for being able to actually melee.

Learn to Rifle! Developers don’t like Melee, or Warriors.

Oglaf.1074

Maybe those zerker warriors will finally “lose” some of their OPness now. Nerfing them without nerfing their skills, nice job.

Yeah a blanket nerf across the board which nerfs all Professions in order to combat one overpowered build for one Profession.

That’s some NASA-grade rocket science right there!

Do you even lift, bro?

maddoctor.2738

Even in mostly/full toughness gear on my guardian and warrior omnomberry pies have been invaluable for being able to actually melee.

Learn to Rifle! Developers don’t like Melee, or Warriors.

Really? I think Anet loves Warriors more than any other profession, it’s their favorite and has been since release. Now they nerf them indirectly and suddenly Anet doesn’t like Warriors?

maddoctor.2738

Yeah a blanket nerf across the board which nerfs all Professions in order to combat one overpowered build for one Profession.

So you don’t believe that the buff from the pies was kinda overpowered?

Oglaf.1074

It was a necessary evil to allow any Profession that doesn’t have the amazing sustain of Guardian to melee in dungeons.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Fudge.9527

Fudge.9527

Why isn’t the new ICD being listed?

I don’t mind them changing this, it was a little ridiculous for AoE damage in WvW and there are plenty of other food options, but at least give numbers so players can judge whether or not they want to make a change.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

My warrior uses a knights armor set. When I run a dungeon EVERYTHING aggros on me. The food was useful/vital to staying alive.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Daecollo.9578

My warrior uses a knights armor set. When I run a dungeon EVERYTHING aggros on me. The food was useful/vital to staying alive.

Yep.

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

It was a necessary evil to allow any Profession that doesn’t have the amazing sustain of Guardian to melee in dungeons.

it was cool for warrior, it was lool for thieves.
Combined with signet of malice i could get from 500 hp to 17k in less that 3 seconds using dagger storm, betwen 15 dredges on lvl 20 fractals

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills