PSA: only 2 weeks for asc weapon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Lindsey mentioned this in the video, but I thought I would as well. A lot of comments I saw worried about grind and what not and how it was going to take them a month or more for their asc weapon. But she explicitly said it would take two weeks to get a weapon.

I honestly don’t see why its such a big complaint at the ascended crafting if its only 2 weeks. Amulets can take a month!!! If you don’t obtain laurels through achievement chests.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

People just need something to complain about or they can’t be happy.

Posted by: Vespirisa.1497

Vespirisa.1497

At least you can buy some of the mats to speed up the process. Since I can only play about 3-4 days a week I’m satisfied.

IoJ→KN→DB→SoR→CD→SoR→TC → SBI
Scrub D/D Ele. What’s server loyalty?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Well it’s still a huge money sink hole and not worth it.
1. You need to get from 400 to 500 with T6 and their prices are on the rise right now
2. One of the ingredients is gotten by salvaging level 80 exotics and has only a rare chance to drop.
It’s just simply not worth it. I’m tired of time gate and I’m tired of RNG. Why can’t we have karma and dungeon tickets like we used to? Why can’t we get new dungeons to earn ascended items in?

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

Let’s say you use two sets of 1 handed weapons. That’s 4 weapons, which is 8 weeks of work for one build on one character.

I mean, it is a serious time investment. If you want alternate builds, you’ll have to just forget about it. I have, and I play one character, so it’s all very managable to me. But I swap weapons a lot on this one character, so getting my LB, SB, sword, axe, GS, and warhorn back is going to take a lot of time (and I’m just going to forget about the torch and dagger).

I don’t have the time for multi characters, nor the bank space and time for multi builds.

Champion Hunter

SkylightMoon.1980

1. You need to get from 400 to 500 with T6 and their prices are on the rise right now
2. One of the ingredients is gotten by salvaging level 80 exotics and has only a rare chance to drop.
It’s just simply not worth it. I’m tired of time gate and I’m tired of RNG. Why can’t we have karma and dungeon tickets like we used to? Why can’t we get new dungeons to earn ascended items in?

I had this same complaint because I feel like the aim or horizontal progression in the game is creating this lack of content(dungeon) for rewards. I think it would be cool to have a series of missoins where we are sent back in time through FOTM to the crystal desert or the deldrimor dwarves area to receive the crafting mats. But then the WVW players would complain about being forced to do PVE.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

My Thief has 8 weapons. So that’s 4 months for just 1 character.

I can’t wait to see the flames on the forums.

Mirta.5029

I had this same complaint because I feel like the aim or horizontal progression in the game is creating this lack of content(dungeon) for rewards. I think it would be cool to have a series of missoins where we are sent back in time through FOTM to the crystal desert or the deldrimor dwarves area to receive the crafting mats. But then the WVW players would complain about being forced to do PVE.

what my problem is is lack of guaranteed reward.
At GW2 vanilla: you pay tickets gotten from dungeons, buy your exotic gear
GW2 now: for ascended you salvage exotics for a chance of a material, then you do jumpnig puzzles for a chance of a different (why different by the way, why couldn’t all give the same materials that way allowing the players to play how the want?) material, then you can buy one of the materials and then you have to run meta chains in orr for another chance of another different type of a material.
I brought this point up before. Why not introduce multiple ways of getting ascended gear? Why make it a time gated grind dependent on RNG?

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

“Only 2 weeks.” =-/

Not all that acceptable.

The whole Ascended gear thing has always alienated a certain portion of the userbase because it works against the way they play the game. I have personally tried to get this message across, and to offer ideas on a course correction so that players like me won’t feel ignored or alienated, but there just hasn’t been enough progress on the developer’s end.

And I really want this discussion to happen. Don’t get this off-track or closed or ignored due to conspiracy theories and bad behavior.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

They simply just need to make ascended items available through multiple avenues like they do with exotics. The direction they are taking with this will simply further increase the importance of farming and having gold. Quite disappointed with Anet.

SkylightMoon.1980

what my problem is is lack of guaranteed reward.
At GW2 vanilla: you pay tickets gotten from dungeons, buy your exotic gear
GW2 now: for ascended you salvage exotics for a chance of a material, then you do jumpnig puzzles for a chance of a different (why different by the way, why couldn’t all give the same materials that way allowing the players to play how the want?) material, then you can buy one of the materials and then you have to run meta chains in orr for another chance of another different type of a material.
I brought this point up before. Why not introduce multiple ways of getting ascended gear? Why make it a time gated grind dependent on RNG?

I don’t know if its RNG though. I don’t remember hearing that. I do know its time-gated though. And mainly because it gives us something to work towards. You know there are plenty of people out there who play 12 hours a day and who would be done crafting all 5 of their ascended weapons for chars in about 2 days.

Mirta.5029

They simply just need to make ascended items available through multiple avenues like they do with exotics. The direction they are taking with this will simply further increase the importance of farming and having gold. Quite disappointed with Anet.

exactly what I want. Thank you

I don’t know if its RNG though. I don’t remember hearing that. I do know its time-gated though. And mainly because it gives us something to work towards. You know there are plenty of people out there who play 12 hours a day and who would be done crafting all 5 of their ascended weapons for chars in about 2 days.

1. It is RNG.
2. So? Gear should not be content. Gear should not be time gated. Especially in a game with horizontal and not vertical progression.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

So to upgrade all of the weapon sets for one of my characters, it will take me 42 weeks at “only two weeks per weapon.”

I have seven more characters and ascended armor is coming in a few months. How many years will I have to play, Anet, before I can get my characters right back to where they are right now – on the same level as everyone else?

I thought this game was supposed to be different.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Think about how many weapons sets players use per character. Then consider how many players have multiple characters. Then you’ll see why players complain.

example) 1 weapon per toon across the 8 professions=16 weeks, 2=32 weeks, 3=48 weeks, 4=64 weeks etc….. of time gating

Serenity now~Insanity later

SkylightMoon.1980

“Only 2 weeks.” =-/

Not all that acceptable.

The whole Ascended gear thing has always alienated a certain portion of the userbase because it works against the way they play the game. I have personally tried to get this message across, and to offer ideas on a course correction so that players like me won’t feel ignored or alienated, but there just hasn’t been enough progress on the developer’s end.

And I really want this discussion to happen. Don’t get this off-track or closed or ignored due to conspiracy theories and bad behavior.

I don’t think its against the game at all. It is very farm heavy which I don’t like so much, but I do like the emphasis on crafting. I think its inline with their game philosophy because of its horizontal progression.

Calae.1738

You and everyone else.

Mirta.5029

You and everyone else.

Yup, I third this. I thought that this game was supposed to have horizontal not vertical progression and be very alt friendly. Now we have time gated RNG :/

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

So which one of my 8 level 80’s that I use in WvW should I outfit first? If it takes 2 weeks to be able to create one ascended weapon and lets us say that my toons will need 4 each minimum, that adds up to 64 weeks of grind and still does not answer all of the possible weapon combinations.

Definitely an alt killer!

Theftwind (HoD)

SkylightMoon.1980

exactly what I want. Thank you

1. It is RNG.
2. So? Gear should not be content. Gear should not be time gated. Especially in a game with horizontal and not vertical progression.

I don’t think she said that in the stream, that it is RNG.

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

You and everyone else.

Ohhhhhh snaps.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Quoted for truth. +1

SkylightMoon.1980

The best way to solve this is by having the gating separate for alts. They need to do the same with dailies. This way, people can get laurels on multiple 80’s a day because they are separated. The account wallet gets in the way of this though.

So for one of the mats that is time-gated. Say I craft it on alt 1, now the timer is up. Make it so it does not affect the timer on alt 2, 3, 4, etc.

ShadowPuppet.3746

“Only 2 weeks.” =-/

Not all that acceptable.

I don’t think its against the game at all. It is very farm heavy which I don’t like so much, but I do like the emphasis on crafting. I think its inline with their game philosophy because of its horizontal progression.

According to the pre release hype with the gw2 manifesto (which it seems they are wiping their hands of) you could play how you want and still receive BiS gear. The current direction they are taking with this is so far from that it does not even seem like it’s the same game company anymore. For people that love crafting sure it should be an option, just like it should be an option if someone wants to farm dungeons, just like it should be an option for WvW’ers etc etc. They are now funneling everyone to play certain aspects of the game (if I had to guess as an attempt to repopulate the zones and spread out players more) but it goes against what the initial philosophy was.

fellyn.5083

You poor little thing.

My warrior has around 14 that I switch between regularly.
My Guardian has at least 12 that I switch between regularly.

My care factor is 0.

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

“Only 2 weeks.” =-/

Not all that acceptable.

Huh? It’s just a plain old power increase. Did you mean vertical progression?

Horizontal is something like Rune of Torment or Rune of Perplexity.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

from this…

“The Ascended Inscriptions all take the exotic inscription of the stat combo you want plus Dark Matter and Crystalline Dust. Dark Matter is a new Account Bound material exclusively salvaged from Exotics.”

you have rng. I highly doubt you will find dark matter with every salvage of an exotic.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

“Only 2 weeks.” =-/

Not all that acceptable.

I really don’t think there’s anything left to say. I feel like I’ve been trying and trying to make my point and explain that they are ruining the game for me. It was a great game. Then it was a good game. Now it’s not either.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Calae.1738

You poor little thing.

My warrior has around 14 that I switch between regularly.
My Guardian has at least 12 that I switch between regularly.

My care factor is 0.

lol dude you’re so screwed. :P

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

AFAIK, when you reach a craft level, you can craft any weapon/armor under that crafting profession provided you have the materials.
Example: You can craft weaponsmith orichalcum weapons as soon as you reach 400 weaponsmith.

I am interpreting this as:
it will take 2 weeks to max a crafting profession(say weaponsmith) to 500 and say you are using greatsword & sword/axe, you’re done right there as long as you have the mats, you may craft all 3(they are all under weaponsmith). Now you need another 2 weeks to max your huntsman and another 2 to max artificier, so depending on what weapons you use, it may take 2-6 weeks to finish your ascended weapons.

Of course that means you will also need huntsman500 for your speargun or artificier500 for your trident.

If they make it time-gated and it takes 2 weeks for 1 weapon, then arenanet has lost a customer, a fan and a possible investor.

ShadowPuppet.3746

I guess the worst part of this is that it is largely certain members of the community that have brought these changes about. GW1 could afford to be different, because it was relatively a niche game compared to certain other juggernauts. When Anet decided they wanted to be “bigtime” it basically ruined their chances of sticking to their manifesto because it attracted players that are too used to status quo and requested to have these things we are getting in the game. Sad day, sad day.

Posted by: Oroibahazopi.9074

Oroibahazopi.9074

are the weapons soulbound on acquire?

SkylightMoon.1980

I still don’t see a good complaint. Maybe its just because I don’t mind grind or working towards something even if it takes a month. Again, I’ll say, part of the reason we can’t do a really cool instance or dungeon to obtain a certain item is because people will then come and say they are being forced. Making something obtainable through universal materials which are obtainable through pve and wvw will please both parties.

If we had a really cool dungeon, like I said, every PVP and WVW player would complain and threaten to leave.

SkylightMoon.1980

AFAIK, when you reach a craft level, you can craft any weapon/armor under that crafting profession provided you have the materials.
Example: You can craft weaponsmith orichalcum weapons as soon as you reach 400 weaponsmith.

it will take 2 weeks to max a crafting profession(say weaponsmith) to 500 and say you are using greatsword & sword/axe, you’re done right there as long as you have the mats, you may craft all 3(they are all under weaponsmith). Now you need another 2 weeks to max your huntsman and another 2 to max artificier, so depending on what weapons you use, it may take 2-6 weeks to finish your ascended weapons.

Of course that means you will also need huntsman500 for your speargun or artificier500 for your trident.

If they make it time-gated and it takes 2 weeks for 1 weapon, then arenanet has lost a customer, a fan and a possible investor.

If it wasn’t time gated, you’d complete it in a day, get your weapon, and then complain about a lack of content.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So, hm, first we get this stuff put in to allow crafting as opposed to RNG drops in a dungeon like it was with Rings and Fractals . . . (with an option for world-wide RNG drops from what I read) and it’s a complaint it doesn’t drop in dungeons?

When it was dropping in dungeons, there were complaints about no other way of getting it . . .

I’m going to just sigh if, in two months, we see a dungeon or event which is specially made to drop Ascended gear because people want it easier, then people complain about the crafting update being useless.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

336h before you can get an ascended weapon-----a new low has been reached [Achievement Unlocked] WOW.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Calae.1738

If it wasn’t time gated, you’d complete it in a day, get your weapon, and then complain about a lack of content.

Buying items on a trading post and crafting them is content?

ShadowPuppet.3746

I still don’t see a good complaint. Maybe its just because I don’t mind grind or working towards something even if it takes a month. Again, I’ll say, part of the reason we can’t do a really cool instance or dungeon to obtain a certain item is because people will then come and say they are being forced. Making something obtainable through universal materials which are obtainable through pve and wvw will please both parties.

If we had a really cool dungeon, like I said, every PVP and WVW player would complain and threaten to leave.

Why could they not stick with their current method of acquiring exotics and apply that to acquiring ascended? Then they could take the grind in only a cosmetic direction as was initially said was going to be the case for the game.

SkylightMoon.1980

So, hm, first we get this stuff put in to allow crafting as opposed to RNG drops in a dungeon like it was with Rings and Fractals . . . (with an option for world-wide RNG drops from what I read) and it’s a complaint it doesn’t drop in dungeons?

When it was dropping in dungeons, there were complaints about no other way of getting it . . .

I’m going to just sigh if, in two months, we see a dungeon or event which is specially made to drop Ascended gear because people want it easier, then people complain about the crafting update being useless.

^THIS. It just proves that the GW2 community is spoiled and can’t completely be satisfied. The forum community is this way at least. The only thing I agree with is that there doesnt need to be time-gating for an entire account. It needs to be separate per character.

Posted by: PhansyPanda.7215

PhansyPanda.7215

And what is the problem with that? If someone wants to devote 12 hours a day then they should be rewarded for their time investment. I however should not be punished because I run 4 mains and each has, at the least, 4-6 different weapons.

The only war worth fighting is the war against the imagination.
#FreeDolan

Nuka Cola.8520

if this is not legit complain please name me one that is worst than this… before anyone brings the usual ‘rng chests’, you can buy all skins on TP for waaaaaaay lower price and waaaaaaaaaaay less time. Epic failure from anet as always. Thanks.

Posted by: Oroibahazopi.9074

Oroibahazopi.9074

Most non braindead people play the game to have fun. Not as a way to replace their jobs grinding gear in order to have fun.

I play WvW 90%+ of the time, I didn’t even participate in the deadeye gold farming that much. I lost out. I don’t complain about it because it didn’t negatively affect my PvP performance by not doing it.

I complain about Ascended weapons because it means I have to farm champs in those awful champ rotations all day. Hoping that I get exos or ascended drops in WvW on a t5 server is akin to hoping god turns my morning kittens into gold. Just so I don’t hold back my team by not having the best gear available.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

I miss having the freedom to do content at my own pace. If I want to spend a full day working on an ascended weapon, why shouldn’t I be able to do that?

And if I get through all of the “content” and have nothing left to do, isn’t that my problem?

fellyn.5083

I guess the worst part of this is that it is largely certain members of the community that have brought these changes about. GW1 could afford to be different, because it was relatively a niche game compared to certain other juggernauts. When Anet decided they wanted to be “bigtime” it basically ruined their chances of sticking to their manifesto because it attracted players that are too used to status quo and requested to have these things we are getting in the game. Sad day, sad day.

Certain members? Really? Because I’m pretty sure before it was announced no one knew ascended stuff was coming.

Pretty much at the same time they said we’d be getting ascended weapons and armor, too.

So please explain how “certain members” are responsible for this?

And I find these doom and gloom predictions for GW2 interesting because all the numbers we’ve heard in the last year indicate that GW2 is still growing. And that’s not even taking into consideration the chinese release.

SkylightMoon.1980

Most non braindead people play the game to have fun. Not as a way to replace their jobs grinding gear in order to have fun.

I play WvW 90%+ of the time, I didn’t even participate in the deadeye gold farming that much. I lost out. I don’t complain about it because it didn’t negatively affect my PvP performance by not doing it.

I complain about Ascended weapons because it means I have to farm champs in those awful champ rotations all day. Hoping that I get exos or ascended drops in WvW on a t5 server is akin to hoping god turns my morning kittens into gold. Just so I don’t hold back my team by not having the best gear available.

You make this sound worse than it is. In wvw, you already kill champs. There is no requirement for you to farm champs like TC does in Orr. Also, you can get exotic weapons simply through buying them with badges. And if you play wvw a lot you should have plenty of badges. And if you make money in wvw, then you can buy them off the TP.

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Honestly, while it may take 2 weeks (time gated) to get the materials to craft those weapons, the rest of it’s not really time gated. You can spend that time leveling your crafting, gathering mats, doing other stuff.

And really, you don’t need an Ascended Weapon. Yes, they’re better than exotics, but the whole idea is you don’t need Ascended stuff to play GW2. We kind of all knew there was going to be a bit of time related grind to Ascended items, kind of like there was for getting the Laurel ascended equipment as well.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

ShadowPuppet.3746

^THIS. It just proves that the GW2 community is spoiled and can’t completely be satisfied. The forum community is this way at least. The only thing I agree with is that there doesnt need to be time-gating for an entire account. It needs to be separate per character.

Or you know they could just have stuck to what they said they were going to do from the beginning and made only cosmetic grind not BiS grind. They could also have implemented it the way it currently functions with exotics which allows you to craft, do dungeons, use karma and get the items directly. It keeps in line with what their initial stated goals were for the game, what they are implementing now does not.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

And really, you don’t need an Ascended Weapon. Yes, they’re better than exotics, but the whole idea is you don’t need Ascended stuff to play GW2. We kind of all knew there was going to be a bit of time related grind to Ascended items, kind of like there was for getting the Laurel ascended equipment as well.

You don’t need anything beyond whites. Same premise, but does it fly….nope.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Nuka Cola.8520

I would’ve never thought i’d agree with you as i’ve never agreed with Vayne on anything he says in the passed year but i certainly agree with you on this. Imagine the money needed to get to get from 1-500 (if you’re one of those who didn’t bother leveling up their crafting)… what the F anet? Then you reach 500 and not only in need spending boatload more money you’ll also need to wait TWO WEEKS hahahaha. GW2 transformation is amazing and won’t be forgotten any time soon

Posted by: Rammie.2843

Rammie.2843

GW2 is preparing for the Asian market…

SkylightMoon.1980

Or you know they could just have stuck to what they said they were going to do from the beginning and made only cosmetic grind not BiS grind. They could also have implemented it the way it currently functions with exotics which allows you to craft, do dungeons, use karma and get the items directly. It keeps in line with what their initial stated goals were for the game, what they are implementing now does not.

I know you’re afraid of a gear treadmill but I think you’re speaking to soon. Ascended has been the only new rarity introduced since november and I doubt we will get another rarity. I heard somewhere that the Ascended rarity will only continue to change in certain ways, not have a new rarity introduced. Perhaps the Ascended rarity actually has some purpose to it (lorewise)