People angry over area map completition...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gcrockwood.1987

gcrockwood.1987

This is happening on the server I’m on. I can’t think of any better way to chase off new players than attack them for announcing ’f’ing nub achievements’. God forbid people be social in a MMO.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Someone called you out for “Been There, Done That”? Forgive me for probably misunderstanding what happened, could you explain it a little more?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I think what he’s saying is he went into WvW to do map completion. Announced it on the map chat and people yelled at him for it.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Maybe you should do the same when WvW ppl go to PVE to do map completion?

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

If you are doing map completion in wvw while the maps have queues, you will rightfully be told to GTFO.

Other than that I see no problem with people doing map completion, have fun!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

If you are doing map completion in wvw while the maps have queues, you will rightfully be told to GTFO.

Players doing map completion in WvW, even during queues, have just as much right to be there as anyone else since it is indeed required for map completion. If you don’t like that perhaps you should lobby for removal of WvW from the map completion requirement.

The Burninator

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

Telling them to GTFO has a much better chance of success.

JustTrogdor.7892

Telling them to GTFO has a much better chance of success.

Not really and might earn you a time out.

The Burninator

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

Ok, well, the first mistake was to announce your intention.
Especially in WvW, its a very different animal than PvE.
In PvE maps, typically there will be people there attempting the same thing you are and will be helpful. WvW… that world is all about taking and holding territory while downing the enemy. If you are not there to help with that, they, for the most part, don’t care.
When I did my completion, I entered… scouted around a bit, got what I thought I could safely get… and was gone.
Unless I could attach myself to a zerg that was going my way, I pretty much did it alone.
Granted, as I was being chopped to bits, I wanted to scream that I was only there to complete the map. But then, I am not sure they would have believed me.

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Players doing map completion in WvW, even during queues, have just as much right to be there as anyone else since it is indeed required for map completion. If you don’t like that perhaps you should lobby for removal of WvW from the map completion requirement.

You have the right to do map completion in WvW. You do not have a right to be shielded from being (correctly) told that you are a liability for the server.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

JustTrogdor.7892

You have the right to do map completion in WvW. You do not have a right to be shielded from being (correctly) told that you are a liability for the server.

Haha okay. You know it is funny. I’ve seen many threads over the years of people complaining about having to do WvW for map completion. One of the most common suggestions aside from waiting for a map to flip is to ask for help in WvW. I guess those suggestions were wrong.

If you think telling people to get lost or how ever else you want to phrase it is helpful for the community then go for it. There is one way to keep people from coming back to maybe benefit their server later in WvW, and that is to insult them and tell them to go away.

The Burninator

Dave.2536

Haha okay. You know it is funny. I’ve seen many threads over the years of people complaining about having to do WvW for map completion. One of the most common suggestions aside from waiting for a map to flip is to ask for help in WvW. I guess those suggestions were wrong.

If you think telling people to get lost or how ever else you want to phrase it is helpful for the community then go for it. There is one way to keep people from coming back to maybe benefit their server later in WvW, and that is to insult them and tell them to go away.

Yes, when the map is queued and people are doing useless things they’re going to be asked to be useful or go away. Feelings may be hurt. Sorry not sorry.

Perhaps all those “ask the commander to help you cap something” replies need to be appended with “please don’t make selfish individual requests when the map is queued and there are more important things”.

Maybe then we will have fewer black and white straw man arguments as well.

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Yes, when the map is queued and people are doing useless things they’re going to be asked to be useful or go away. Feelings may be hurt. Sorry not sorry.

Perhaps all those “ask the commander to help you cap something” replies need to be appended with “please don’t make selfish individual requests when the map is queued and there are more important things”.

This… If you have a Queue don’t ask for help. If you have a queue and you’re there for map completion you should understand that you’re basically afk on a teq turret at reset. (I hope that makes sense since its PvE)….

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

No. This is anet’s own fault for making WvW part of world completion. As a PvE player, do you think I liked going to that toxic cesspit?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

JustTrogdor.7892

Who says everyone trying to do map completion is useless? Instead of saying things like, “GTFO” as root so eloquently stated it, maybe invite them along with your blob. Maybe that person doing map completion kills an enemy scout or two along the way if they are roaming solo. Maybe tell them if they see any enemy movements to let the map know. Or you know you could just tell them they are worthless and get nothing out of it at all as they most likely ignore you after that and go on about their business.

In my opinion, WvW was added to map completion to encourage people to try it. If you are just going to tell people they are a liability, then they are most likely not going to try to help your server win at that time and probably not any time in the near future.

But, if you insist, go about it and belittle people in WvW. I’m sure it does great things for your server’s WvW community.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Clueless response is.. just clueless.

Map queues are caused by the sheer numbers trying to get into the map to play the game.. and sorry to hurt your feelings but Map/World completion is part of the game, as much as that might seem a little tuff to understand.
WvW is actually part of the PvE content base, perhaps even its endgame.. hence why ANET opted to place specific world completion requirements within it and no matter how that might hurt your feelings when your in the queue its a fact.
Not everyone has the luxury of playing 24/7 , they get to do the things they want to do/ need to do/ have to do in the time they have allotted .. so pull the self entitled thought from ya head and form an orderly queue, take a few deep breathes and you will be in map of your choice as soon as the hamsters have run the wheel enough to pull the server doors open again.

Map queues are caused by the sheer numbers trying to get into the map to play the game.. and sorry to hurt your feelings but Map/World completion is part of the game, as much as that might seem a little tuff to understand.

^this

/thread

~Sincerely, Scissors

Dave.2536

Who says everyone trying to do map completion is useless? Instead of saying things like, “GTFO” as root so eloquently stated it, maybe invite them along with your blob. Maybe that person doing map completion kills an enemy scout or two along the way if they are roaming solo. Maybe tell them if they see any enemy movements to let the map know. Or you know you could just tell them they are worthless and get nothing out of it at all as they most likely ignore you and go on about their business.

In my opinion, WvW was added to map completion to encourage people to try it. If you are just going to tell people they are a liability, then they are most likely not going to try to help your server win at that time and probably not any time in the near future.

But, if you insist, go about it and belittle people in WvW. I’m sure it does great things for your server’s WvW community.

The people throwing a tantrum in /m because the commander won’t help them on a queued map are worse than useless: they’re detrimental to the server with their drama and taking the attention and focus away from the commander.

It’s comparable to, say, not waypointing when fully dead at a big event and getting others killed as they foolishly try to res.

I honestly don’t think those kinds of people will be missed by the WvW community, but you can continue to try to white knight them in the best made-up narrative you can imagine.

PS: I am nowhere near guilty of any of those things I was defending. I was simply defending others’ rights to do them. Offense is taken, not given, and not every case of hurt feelings will result in the “timeout” that you were threatening people with earlier.

Clueless response is.. just clueless.

Thank you for summarizing your own response so well.

Nobody can make you do something but they are certainly free to ask you to do something else, or let you know that you are dead (or negative) weight.

(edited by Dave.2536)

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Why tell him to bog off? Wouldn’t it have been more productive to say “if you want that point of interest, help us take it”? People get so wound up these days!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In PvE maps, typically there will be people there attempting the same thing you are and will be helpful. WvW… that world is all about taking and holding territory while downing the enemy. If you are not there to help with that, they, for the most part, don’t care.
When I did my completion, I entered… scouted around a bit, got what I thought I could safely get… and was gone.
Unless I could attach myself to a zerg that was going my way, I pretty much did it alone.
Granted, as I was being chopped to bits, I wanted to scream that I was only there to complete the map. But then, I am not sure they would have believed me.

What you really need to do is join a helpful guild and go in together, instead of trying to solo everything. (coughs).

Dave.2536

What you really need to do is join a helpful guild and go in together, instead of trying to solo everything. (coughs).

But Vayne, I’m an entitled casual who supports ANet through the gem store so these hardcore players with no real life anyways should be dropping everything to carry me through stuff!

Vayne.8563

Map complete IS part of the game and everyone has a right to be there. On the other hand, very often, when there’s a queue for a specific WvW server, that often means that there’s serious fighting going on in that spot and it would likely be harder to map complete at those moments.

When I see a queue if I just need to map complete, I don’t go in there for two reasons. 1. people are trying to defend or attack specific targets and I don’t want to screw them up. There’s almost no time when there’s a queue these days when that’s not the case and 2. as already stated at those times, it’s easier for me to get zerged down and not get anything done.

It makes less sense to go in there when there’s a queue if all you’re after is map completion.

Edit the one exception is server reset when it can be easier to get some points.

JustTrogdor.7892

I honestly don’t think those kinds of people will be missed by the WvW community, but you can continue to try to white knight them in the best made-up narrative you can imagine.

PS: I am nowhere near guilty of any of those things I was defending. I was simply defending others’ rights to do them. Offense is taken, not given, and not every case of hurt feelings will result in the “timeout” that you were threatening people with earlier.

I guess you are and I are very different. I see being a helpful towards other players in game as a benefit to the community as a whole no matter what the circumstances are. Help someone one day with a word of advice, a kind word, or some helpful hints and they may help you or many others later on. You on the other hand don’t see it that way. You would rather others turn people away instead and don’t care if they come back later as an asset to your community. I get it, you have made it very clear.

Also, I never threatened anyone with a timeout. I don’t have the ability to suspend or ban players. I simply responded to root’s use of colorful terms described to ask people to leave WvW, and in which case if used in the way he stated could get them suspended. It wasn’t a threat it was just an acknowledgment that verbal abuse can lead to a suspension

Now don’t you have a queue to join while people are doing map completion.

The Burninator

Vayne.8563

But Vayne, I’m an entitled casual who supports ANet through the gem store so these hardcore players with no real life anyways should be dropping everything to carry me through stuff!

I’m quite happy to carry people through stuff. What else do I have to do? lol

I guess you are and I are very different. I see being a helpful towards other players in game as a benefit to the community as a whole no matter what the circumstances are. Help someone one day with a word of advice, a kind word, or some helpful hints and they may help you or many others later on. You on the other hand don’t see it that way. You would rather others turn people away instead and don’t care if they come back later as an asset to your community. I get it, you have made it very clear.

Also, I never threatened anyone with a timeout. I don’t have the ability to suspend or ban players. I simply responded to root’s use of colorful terms described to ask people to leave WvW, and in which case if used in the way he stated could get them suspended. It wasn’t a threat it was just an acknowledgment that verbal abuse can lead to a suspension

Now don’t you have a queue to join while people are doing map completion.

I think this series of comments between you two perfectly shows the line between decency and typical pvp toxicity.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Dave.2536

Apparently you need to cap the bottom two towers and cap them now! Forget the 70+ enemy force attacking your T3 garrison with only 400 supply left, take that stupid tower!

You can always take the garrison back after we get the tower, while I go to the next map and start making demands to the commander there.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Why tell him to bog off? Wouldn’t it have been more productive to say “if you want that point of interest, help us take it”? People get so wound up these days!

Ok, my server is blue this week and we are actually second best, so we have red punching us and green punching us. The roamers from both sides love to take our camps so we don’t have supply and green has got Stone Mist Castle which is dangerous to us as if they build a waypoint, they can reach all of our towers within seconds.
What my server wants: Getting SM
What I want: Getting SM and also keeping the camps blue.
So, it works like this: Commander x goes to SM to try to cap it – I follow to help. We fail, I go back to refresh siege, scout and upgrade. Commander tries to cap SM again, I follow, build up siege and then run to a camp with swords. We again lose both camps delivering our keep which has got only 400 supply. The commander starts another try to cap SM.. I cap a camp back and in the middle there is some unknown person: “Can we cap Jerrifer’s? I really need that POI”. Well sure, here have a cookie =) Though I think most people ignore questions like that, I do, especially on days like today.
So, I always ran with the zerg and hoped they would cap the stuff I needed – or I ran solo on borderlands. 6 of my 10 characters have got 100% wvw map completion. And it didn’t take that long.

Vayne.8563

Apparently you need to cap the bottom two towers and cap them now! Forget the 70+ enemy force attacking your T3 garrison with only 400 supply left, take that stupid tower!

You can always take the garrison back after we get the tower, while I go to the next map and start making demands to the commander there.

Nah we usually take a dozen people in from the guild when we do stuff like that and cap the towers we need most of the time. I can only remember once that we couldn’t take Bay. The rest of the times were successful.

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

No. This is anet’s own fault for making WvW part of world completion. As a PvE player, do you think I liked going to that toxic cesspit?

Indeed. I still need to wait for Devona’s Rest to go blue so I can get some POIs and Vistas in keeps / towers.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Posted by: ABalloon.6924

ABalloon.6924

Full disclosure: I play pve and recently pvp. One day I will wvw. Maybe. For now I find the content I’m playing enough for me .

I think too many of you are slinging mud without really affecting the other side much.

Personally I think both sides should chill out and realise that the game is designed to be played as desired. Not as others desire for you.

It’s simple, really.

WvW players : don’t expect pve players too not come there, it’s part of their game and it’s a part of their end goal. Consider them spectators or npcs. Treat them with some humanity, if it’s within your rotation invite them along too where you’re going and they need to be. Chat a little, maybe you’ll inspire them and they’ll be hard core wvw players one day. They’re not leaving just because you’re annoyed / angry / raging. PvE players are completionists. They run fractal 50+ for the mere fact that it exists, you’re words mean nothing.

PvE players: you’re in an environment with different rules and expectations. You’re a guest in a world that doesn’t bend to your individual desires. See what you can do when you can, if it’s not working try another part, come back later. Ask what you can do, you may have something you need near by. Also, you just need to run to these places, yea you might die, maybe adjust your skills to suit the place you’re in. Be sneaky, be a ninja. You play for yourself, consider that way point your first tequatl kill or the point of interest as your first try through arah. When it’s done you can pat yourself on the back, you just solod a massive dungeon where the ai is more brutal than any dungeon you’ve run. Smile and wave and leave with grace. Or come back and maybe learn a new part of the game you never experienced.

Despite reading this thread I still love this community, it has a lot of love

If any one from any of the three major game types want to try out something they dont usually play, feel free too add me for anything, I won’t shout at you for coming into my space, I like the company

(~‘.’)~

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

Joined a guild, check… joined a helpful one, check… and in fact, the guild I belong to helped a lot with out them or I even knowing it until I needed map completion. And, actually, never tried to solo it… some of it I did with the guild and other times solo or with the zerg group. And WvW is not everyone’s cup of tea(or Cawfee) for that matter…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Verbal abuse is against the ToS. We all had to agree to abide by the rules included in the ToS. Telling someone to GTFO is verbal abuse.

That said, what the OP states he said certainly seems like an attempt to bait others and isnt really any better than the response he got.

JustTrogdor.7892

That said, what the OP states he said certainly seems like an attempt to bait others and isnt really any better than the response he got.

I’ll admit the OP wasn’t very clear but as I read it, that wasn’t something he said but was something said to him or others trying to do map completion on his server.

The Burninator

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’ll admit the OP wasn’t very clear but as I read it, that wasn’t something he said but was something said to him or others trying to do map completion on his server.

Hmm, I think you are probably right. My mistake. My apologies to the OP.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

From an efficiency perspective, it really is jut plain faster to join the zerg and help fight your way into the POI’s/vistas. I’ve done it 3 times so far and each time, I just attached myself to the zerg or went scouting ahead of the zerg.

Zerging is particularly important for classes like Necros since they don’t have any escape skills.

Leave the POI’s vistas and SP’s until you’ve cleared all the ones in keeps and towers otherwise you’ll just be really frustrated

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I’m pretty causal when it comes to WvW. I’m talking <3000 kills, maybe 100 hours or so. That said, even I have the decency to understand that when there’s a queue not to join up for map completion. Find a better time, you’ve had 2 years. I’m sure your map completion 0 to 100% is going to take a bit time.

Don’t be so entitled and think about the other players trying to get kitten done, and the players in the queue who want to actually help.

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m pretty causal when it comes to WvW. I’m talking <3000 kills, maybe 100 hours or so. That said, even I have the decency to understand that when there’s a queue not to join up for map completion. Find a better time, you’ve had 2 years. I’m sure your map completion 0 to 100% is going to take a bit time.

Don’t be so entitled and think about the other players trying to get kitten done, and the players in the queue who want to actually help.

Some people only are available to play during prime hours. I’ll just quote this guy because he is right:

Not everyone has the luxury of playing 24/7 , they get to do the things they want to do/ need to do/ have to do in the time they have allotted .

If WvW players are so against players trying to do WvW map completion in the time they are allotted to play, even if i conflicts with your queues, then lobby Anet to remove WvW map completion from the map completion requirement. Don’t blame the players that are trying to complete maps, blame the designers for including it to start with.

Seriously, if people trying to map complete in WvW are such a hindrance post in the WvW forum and request it be removed from the map completion requirement. You have a forum specialist there waiting for your feedback to pass on to Anet.

The Burninator

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Everybody has the same rights to be in whichever WvW map (be it map completion, roaming, going with the zerg or daydreaming).
The way zergs hop BLs, you could be doing map completion in a peaceful borderland and then be accused of hogging the queue 30s later.
Doing map completion is probably less of a problem than hiding in the blob with your upscaled char getting xp and serving as rallybot.

Dave.2536

People can be dead weights in WvW all they want. They just shouldn’t feel entitled to assistance they haven’t earned, nor expect to be shielded from being told/reminded that they are dead weight.

If all this hurts their feelings too much, perhaps they should be the ones petitioning ANet harder, rather than trying to guilt trip and create forum drama.

I’ve participated in my fair share of forum posts seconding motions to either remove WvW map from the the journey of legendary crafting (or alternatively adding a PvP requirement as part of the process). Perhaps there should be more initiative from the people who actually stand to gain from this (no, losing 1-2 spots to PvErs doesn’t hurt much when it’s likely the other servers probably have similar issues).

The rest of us are generally unaffected by the presence of these people, and it is only because we are unaffected by their presence and continue to ignore them that they come on the forums to complain.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Is it really that much of an issue to get this stuff done? I mean, I hate WvW, but I just waited until we had a turn with the parts of the maps I needed and hit them solo when I was least likely to be bothered.

Took a little time, but I got it done.

JustTrogdor.7892

-SNIP-

Your sig has a typo in it. I just thought I would let you know since it obviously has to do with the topic at hand and what you have been posting. See, helpful is good.

I’m off to bed now. It’s been fun. Have a good night all.

The Burninator

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

Everyone shouting and flaming at people for map-completion in WvW, no matter if there is a queue or not, deserves a report and a ban.
When someone pays money for the game, he/she is entitled to play it. There is no single player in this game who deserves PvP, WvW or PvE any more than the other people.

On the other side, every player doing map-completion, who thinks he/she is entitled to demand help from the players on the map, deserves to be run over by hostile zerks for the rest of the day.

I could understand a certain degree of anger when suddenly a large group of players makes a map-completion-event in WvW during WvW-primetime.

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

One person expresses a negative opinion → the entire game is toxic!

Seriously, just because a few people have a problem with your activities doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do them. Also, just because you want to do something doesn’t mean that every single player should be in full support of you and everything that you do.

You don’t want people to force their playstyle on you, so respect that because it goes both ways.

Dave.2536

-SNIP-

Your sig has a typo in it. I just thought I would let you know since it obviously has to do with the topic at hand and what you have been posting. See, helpful is good.

I’m off to bed now. It’s been fun. Have a good night all.

fixing, ty

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I dont mind to help people out to get their wvw map completed. Only if there isnt a big blob attacking my stuff. I’d simply point out why “we” cant help them during that point.
No need to be a jerk to them.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I do enjoy when an OP posts a completely ambiguous complaint without any context, and then people get all passionate arguing over the merits of different scenarios they’ve concocted themselves.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I do enjoy when an OP posts a completely ambiguous complaint without any context, and then people get all passionate arguing over the merits of different scenarios they’ve concocted themselves.

Well, we discuss a general issue – it has got little to do with the OP. So?

Dave.2536

different scenarios

Maybe if you read the actual posts instead of going off on your adorable little narrative you’d have realized that though people’s perspectives were different, there was pretty general implicit agreement on a single scenario (WvW map completion on a map with a queue)

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I am astonished at people calling for reporting and banhammer over some words. If they aren’t trolling, they may have even thinner skin than children.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

different scenarios

Maybe if you read the actual posts instead of going off on your adorable little narrative you’d have realized that though people’s perspectives were different, there was pretty general implicit agreement on a single scenario (WvW map completion on a map with a queue)

Except that there are multiple scenarios discussed in this thread. And even if there weren’t, it wouldn’t detract from the essence of what I said.

Sorry. It turns out that adopting a patronising tone does not make you correct.