Play for Free Confirmed [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

On the other hand, you got charged for a free game.

No, I didn’t. I bought a game three years ago that has received a rather dramatic price drop today. That’s what happened. What you’re saying is like… if you bought a game on Steam for $60 three years ago, it’s on sale for $5 today, and you start saying, “I got charged $60 for kitten game!” It’s an absurd statement.

The free players coming in today did not get to play for those three years. I did. They also lack a lot of the privileges that I have as a paid player.

Nope, the price was removed, not dropped, that’s the flaw in your analogy. By the same logic you used to claim that you are owed nothing because of the play time you had, you are owed something for the game play you paid for. And frankly, its a stronger argument, GW2 is not a subscription game, you were not charged by time for the game but by content. And now that that exact same content is given away for free, you, he, and all of us were charged for free content.

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Wow, look at all those restrictions put in place just to be able to play for free.

If you have to lock the game up that much, why even bother?

Actually we need more restrictions.

Like what? Cut their xp gain in half? Completely block their ability to chat? Make it so they can’t loot anything at all?

If they have to add even more restrictions, then they need to scrap the F2P idea, entirely, because any more restrictions and the game will become punishing to play if you’re a free player.

We’re already entering into SWTOR territory. The only thing they haven’t locked away are the hide shoulder/helm/glove slots.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Reading the FAQ…

Not being able to go to Lion’s Arch (as I understand) right away if one wants seems brutal.

I’m also surprised that gem purchase doesn’t give core functionality. The least amount GW2 cost during sale was 10 euros/dollars which is the same that gems are. I don’t think that a middle tier like that would hurt?

let the sky fall

Posted by: dane.4638

dane.4638

No further comments. Im not here to troll or argue. =-)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Sorry I was so sceptic. I have just created the F2P account and it looks like everything will be fine. No bot spamming, no gold selling, no changes to major things in trading post. I really like it. The restriction for free players are not restricting them from enjoying all the aspects of the game…. and if they want to join the community, they can either level up their ranks and levels, or buy the game.

Bravo ArenaNet.

I just shared this post with the team. Thank you for looking at this objectively and for sharing your thoughts. As one of our team said, “We really did think about this a lot.”

Hehe, we were nervous there for a bit. But yeah, I am happy enough with these restrictions. Good job guys.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Sorry I was so sceptic. I have just created the F2P account and it looks like everything will be fine. No bot spamming, no gold selling, no changes to major things in trading post. I really like it. The restriction for free players are not restricting them from enjoying all the aspects of the game…. and if they want to join the community, they can either level up their ranks and levels, or buy the game.

Bravo ArenaNet.

I just shared this post with the team. Thank you for looking at this objectively and for sharing your thoughts. As one of our team said, “We really did think about this a lot.”

Cool, I cannot believe you responded to my post

Posted by: Offline.7194

Offline.7194

So, the game went f2p, and basicly those who do not buy HoT get a downside because the base game will no longer receive content updates.
Compensate those who bought the game by either giving them a large discount or HoT, or with an ingame compensation, not doing that would anger alot of people.

First you neglect the gw2 veterans in favor of newcomers by pricing HoT at €45 with NO stand-alone version of it, and on top of that, those who PAID for the base game SHOULD get a compensation. It’s only fair, since we will no longer get any value in the base game.

Our world is so full of many injustices.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Well I guess I better sell all my mats before theyre worthless.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No, I didn’t. I bought a game three years ago that has received a rather dramatic price drop today. That’s what happened. What you’re saying is like… if you bought a game on Steam for $60 three years ago, it’s on sale for $5 today, and you start saying, “I got charged $60 for kitten game!” It’s an absurd statement.

The free players coming in today did not get to play for those three years. I did. They also lack a lot of the privileges that I have as a paid player.

Nope, the price was removed, not dropped, that’s the flaw in your analogy. By the same logic you used to claim that you are owed nothing because of the play time you had, you are owed something for the game play you paid for. And frankly, its a stronger argument, GW2 is not a prescription game, you were not charged by time for the game but by content. And now that exact same content is given away for free, you, he, and all of us were charged for free content.

Past tense and present are not interchangeable.

You need to see a doctor to get a prescription.

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

PLEASE reconsider opening wvw to f2p players… let them access EotM to get a feel of it, but PLEASE do not let them in EB/BLs.

I understand that they need lvl 60, but lvling wont stop players who are determined to sabotage other servers.
I know that this is already being done but with the new f2p accounts it will be done a lot more.

So PLEASE reconsider this or wvw ill take another blow..

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

Posted by: Aluna Darklady.3165

Aluna Darklady.3165

GW2 is not a subscription game, you were not charged by time for the game but by content. And now that exact same content is given away for free, meaning you, he, and all of us were charged for free content.

IT IS NOT THE SAME EXACT CONTENT!!!

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

It’s so fun…currently standing in front of the Black Citadel and so many new players popping up. Nice to welcome them to Tyria. For Iron Legion :-)

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Anet has taken a number of precautions, which some of them alleviate a number of concerns, but there still are no ‘real’ limit on people creating accounts on enemy servers and doing things to troll them in WvW. It is not hard to get to level 60 via crafting, people do it now with alt accounts, and will still do it.

It’ll be a lot harder on a free account since they can’t receive crafting mats or gold from other accounts, can’t buy gold with gems and may not be able to buy mats from the TP. Meaning they’ll have to go out and farm the mats to level up. They don’t get login rewards either.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rexor.5712

Rexor.5712

I buyed the core game 4 days ago … cause why the f not

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Wow, look at all those restrictions put in place just to be able to play for free.

Like what? Cut their xp gain in half? Completely block their ability to chat? Make it so they can’t loot anything at all?

If they have to add even more restrictions, then they need to scrap the F2P idea, entirely, because any more restrictions and the game will become punishing to play if you’re a free player.

We’re already entering into SWTOR territory. The only thing they haven’t locked away are the hide shoulder/helm/glove slots.

I really, really HATED that about Swtor’s f2p. It’s really awful. But they have way more restrictions. I think the amount of restrictions Anet came up with for this is just right.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s hardly much of a lock out.

Content is only level capped for access. No paywalls.

Chat and e-mail has restrictions to control RMT.

No login rewards, limited TP access, no gold to gems in the exchange should secure the economy.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Bravo ArenaNet.

Did the team think about WvW at all, like trolling or spying from f2p accounts? Or was it just PvE/PvP related?

Just curious.

Otherwise, the restrictions seem reasonable.

Ashen.2907

So, the game went f2p, and basicly those who do not buy HoT get a downside because the base game will no longer receive content updates.
Compensate those who bought the game by either giving them a large discount or HoT, or with an ingame compensation, not doing that would anger alot of people.

First you neglect the gw2 veterans in favor of newcomers by pricing HoT at €45 with NO stand-alone version of it, and on top of that, those who PAID for the base game SHOULD get a compensation. It’s only fair, since we will no longer get any value in the base game.

Not really.

Posted by: MatsTeixeira.5823

MatsTeixeira.5823

What i want to ask a few things.
Does new free players will have a Trading Post dedicated ?
How much level they can reach in free account mode?
Does a free player after buy HOT will have all itens and gifs, money, in there account wihout start again ?
Does the game will be protected against free players spamm gold sellers ?

What do we get as a veterans players…
We wanna play HOT the same way…

By mats

Posted by: HwaRyun.1807

HwaRyun.1807

Or, buy HoT if you like GW2 and quit whinging over a non-issue?

Alternatively, make your account name a reality and quit altogether if you no longer like it enough to buy HoT.

Simples.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I wouldn’t grant access to WvW. Level caps also would have been reasonable. I would also ask ANet to share details on the trading post. Whispers are another that is potentially are going to be an issue.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

Do you honestly think you, or anyone, is owed anything? You’ve been playing the game up to this point, haven’t you? Free accounts are heavily restricted, so even then, I don’t understand your argument. I’m thrilled about this change, and I say that as someone who bought the game full price on launch. I think an injection of fresh players is exactly what the community needs at the moment, and now my friends who don’t own the game can play it without any issue. This is a good thing!

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

I like all the restrictions except for one….

Guildleaders already can control who accesses the guild vault….

So why are Free accounts locked out of this feature??

If i invite my friends to join GW2 then I want them to “feel at home” within my guild.

This is a weird limitation.. Just allow GuildLeaders to maintain full control of vault access like it has been for years.

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

Gene Archer.8560

Because it will still get people to try the game out.

It really won’t.

SWTOR lives and thrives despite its heavy, HEAVY restrictions by the grace of the name Star Wars and the legacy that holds, as well as it having a fairly strong single player mode through the

GW2 is a three year old game that failed to be the esports hero it wanted so bad to be, and it’s a game that thrives off group content. And now its F2P option is one step away from being another SWTOR, without the name hype.

I understand full well why the restrictions exist, because of how economy/TP focused they decided to make this game. And that’s why this F2P won’t work. In order to prevent free players from disrupting an already fragile economy, you have to remove them from that economy as much as possible, and to some extent, you have to remove them from the community as a whole as well.

But when you do that, you’re removing them from the game that you’re telling them they can supposedly play.

It’s basically a demo version,

Then they should have stuck with a 14 free trial system. Or a “to level x” trial system.

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

This is to prevent gold selling

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Bravo ArenaNet.

Objectively because it’s pro FTP or in general? Looking at this from my pov as objectively as I can it seems incredibly offensive. I purchased a GW2 collector’s edition at launch (pre order) and have bought an account for my wife (not $10) and we’re asked to purchae HoT for the same price as a new player who’ll get GW2 and HoT for the same money, while you now give away GW2 for free.

Going free to play while selling a paid expansion and continuing your gem store centrism feels shady. I haven’t pre purchased and I’m now glad I didn’t if I buy HoT I might do so through a box retailer, sure I’ll lose my free character slot but it will profit Anet less than buying digital it’s a small thing but it’s how I’ll show my displeasure should I continue

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Did the team think about WvW at all, like trolling or spying from f2p accounts? Or was it just PvE/PvP related?

Just curious.

Otherwise, the restrictions seem reasonable.

Its not like people aren’t doing this already.

Getting to lvl 60 also take quite a bit of time, since they won’t have good access to tomes and such.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Trading post is the same but they have limited interaction with it, as only certain items will be able to be traded on it.

They can reach 80.

Upgrading an account just unlocks more freedom, it does not restart your account.

There are many systems in place to prevent gold spamming.

Veteran players get some innate benefits, previous game experiences, a unique outfit skin, and so on. All HoT (new and old) will be relatively similar, but that should be without saying.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: bobet.3981

bobet.3981

good thing i held out on pre purchasing…uninstalling the game right now

(edited by bobet.3981)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

If i invite my friends to join GW2 then I want them to “feel at home” within my guild.

This is a weird limitation.. Just allow GuildLeaders to maintain full control of vault access like it has been for years.

It is to make it harder for gold-sellers and such I would guess.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gene Archer.8560

I wouldn’t grant access to WvW. Level caps also would have been reasonable. I would also ask ANet to share details on the trading post. Whispers are another that is potentially are going to be an issue.

So in other words, you’re okay with free players existing…so long as they can’t actually play the game.

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

Because it will still get people to try the game out.

It really won’t.

SWTOR lives and thrives despite its heavy, HEAVY restrictions by the grace of the name Star Wars and the legacy that holds, as well as it having a fairly strong single player mode through the

GW2 is a three year old game that failed to be the esports hero it wanted so bad to be, and it’s a game that thrives off group content. And now its F2P option is one step away from being another SWTOR, without the name hype.

I understand full well why the restrictions exist, because of how economy/TP focused they decided to make this game. And that’s why this F2P won’t work. In order to prevent free players from disrupting an already fragile economy, you have to remove them from that economy as much as possible, and to some extent, you have to remove them from the community as a whole as well.

But when you do that, you’re removing them from the game that you’re telling them they can supposedly play.

It’s basically a demo version,

Then they should have stuck with a 14 free trial system. Or a “to level x” trial system.

I do not understand how not using the TP alienates you from the community?

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

PLEASE ANET lock WvW to payed versions – the level 60 lock is a joke – i can see servers starting multiboxing just to fil the slots of the enemy ones

also i dont want to talk about the insane amount of spies WvW Servers will get

By the mother of all dragons ANet lock please them out of WvW !!!!

Posted by: Ra Ra.9423

Ra Ra.9423

It’s so fun…currently standing in front of the Black Citadel and so many new players popping up. Nice to welcome them to Tyria. For Iron Legion :-)

Same at Soren Draa. Asurans are at the ready with banners and goodies to greet the new people. lol

Question that came up in map chat: Can F2P players SEE map chat (even if they can’t use it).
And…. Can F2P players see and or use ‘Say’ chat?

Ra ~ Asuran Gaters[ZPM]- Darkhaven
You only live once. But once is enough, if you do it right! …. Mae West

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I really, really HATED that about Swtor’s f2p. It’s really awful. But they have way more restrictions. I think the amount of restrictions Anet came up with for this is just right.

I can’t actually try it until I’m home on Monday but the list looks good to me. Enough to stop most forms of abuse and to make free accounts frustrating to play long-term but nothing that stops people playing and getting a feel for the game.

As I’ve said I think this sounds more like a trial version without a time limit than changing the business model to make free to play the focus, so that seems fair to me.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Because it would create an opening for wealth transfer to and from those accounts.

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

ok then uninstalling the game this is just plane stupid..

Planes are super useful, tho

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Haha, I really don’t get how people are angry about a game they played for three years now being free for new players to discover. I played since the headstart three years ago, and got my money’s worth out of it maaaany times over. I’ll gladly share that experience with new players, so what if it’s free? Didn’t invalidate my purchase in the slightest, and with the restrictions in place I don’t think it’ll inconvenience me either. The more the merrier I’d say!

Posted by: Blazefireblitz.8754

Blazefireblitz.8754

Can trial accounts purchase digital deluxe upgrade to get access to luriels or are they required to purchase hot

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

In my opinion, the concern about WvW is legit. Granted, it is asked quite a lot to become lvl 60 just to troll a server if you can believe people here moaning all their way to lvl 80 for the last 3 years, despite Anet doing virtually everything except to give them maximum level from the start.
But for someone who has the time and criminal energy to want to do something, it is not such a big hurdle after all, it just wheats out the stupid and short fused trolls. Luckily, most people who are even unwilling to spend leveling the week in a world full of megaservers with XP basically haunting you where ever you go, will fall into that category.

Making the core game F2P gives me some concern too, but not for market reasons as that is not my problem if stuff gets cheaper up to the point of being wortless, but Anet´s. My concern is the wave of Yolospamtrolluncouthfarmbuyrallybotsbeggars running wild in lions arch. Not too cocerned about regions despite cities and starting points on the other hand. Journeying takes effort, and why invest effort if you have all the people standing in lions arch, trying to mind their own business? I will also miss the little chats about this and that, won´t be much left of that with information polution everywhere like :
“YoloGW2, me am 9 and have found GW2 fee to play. Gunna leieve now, swag!!11^^”

Maybe there will be new nodes of people that want to escape that kind of madness, but that remains to be seen.

Gene Archer.8560

I do not understand how not using the TP alienates you from the community?

The TP is one of the few areas that actually manages to reward players in any meaningful way, due to the heavy RNG in the game, and the low amount of overall coin from anything that isn’t a specific dungeon run.

When you remove the ability to use the TP, you remove a major reward source.

Posted by: xinkspillx.3914

xinkspillx.3914

Perhaps because of the fact that I’ve been playing since GW2’s 3-day head start, I don’t feel like compensation is necessary. Haven’t purchases of the base game not been possible through the ANet store for some time? I recognize that some people who have purchased the game through third parties may be frustrated, but refunds in those cases aren’t really something ANet is set up to handle.

With the restrictions that f2p accounts will have they aren’t exactly getting the same experience as it is. Sure, we may see a greater number of low level maps being filled up with players, but it’s already not uncommon to see even high level maps have this issue. We’d just see more players spill out onto a second (or third, etc.) version of the map and that wouldn’t really be a bad thing as it would just increase the odds of that map completing the boss as well.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

So as a loyal player I get to pay twice, so what happens when the next xpac comes when ever that is, will HoT then switch to f2p? If I where to not buy HoT what would happen? I know these are not questions that need to happen, but if we follow the logic, then to lowers the barrier of entry HoT has to go f2p. So if you are a loyal player you will always pay more. Take that for what you will.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Anet has taken a number of precautions, which some of them alleviate a number of concerns, but there still are no ‘real’ limit on people creating accounts on enemy servers and doing things to troll them in WvW. It is not hard to get to level 60 via crafting, people do it now with alt accounts, and will still do it.

It’ll be a lot harder on a free account since they can’t receive crafting mats or gold from other accounts, can’t buy gold with gems and may not be able to buy mats from the TP. Meaning they’ll have to go out and farm the mats to level up. They don’t get login rewards either.

No, they can receive mats and gold. That’s the thing.

Posted by: Heylel.2109

Heylel.2109

I think the saddest part is the lack of Forum Posting Access…

Yeah, there are many other places where they can ask things, but seriously these are the official forums, these are the places where players should ask their inquiries.

Ashen.2907

Bravo ArenaNet.

Objectively because it’s pro FTP or in general? Looking at this from my pov as objectively as I can it seems incredibly offensive. I purchased a GW2 collector’s edition at launch (pre order) and have bought an account for my wife (not $10) and we’re asked to purchae HoT for the same price as a new player who’ll get GW2 and HoT for the same money, while you now give away GW2 for free.

Going free to play while selling a paid expansion and continuing your gem store centrism feels shady. I haven’t pre purchased and I’m now glad I didn’t if I buy HoT I might do so through a box retailer, sure I’ll lose my free character slot but it will profit Anet less than buying digital it’s a small thing but it’s how I’ll show my displeasure should I continue

Perhaps because he tested it and based his opinion on the observable results of the testing rather than on preconceived notions. Its about as objective as one can get in a matter such as this.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

So in other words, you’re okay with free players existing…so long as they can’t actually play the game.

Do you WvW today? If so, what server?

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Nope, the price was removed, not dropped, that’s the flaw in your analogy. By the same logic you used to claim that you are owed nothing because of the play time you had, you are owed something for the game play you paid for. And frankly, its a stronger argument, GW2 is not a subscription game, you were not charged by time for the game but by content. And now that that exact same content is given away for free, you, he, and all of us were charged for free content.

Agreed. GW2 is a B2P game pay once play forever, now what the hell did I pay for? It’s not a sub game removing the sub and going FTP because in sub games you pay a monthly for access I paid a box price for access.

#Shady

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Maiku Larzon.7150

Maiku Larzon.7150

I like gw2, i have played this for years. But because new ppl get most of it for free, it makes us veterans stop playing. I bought gw2, and a few weeks ago HoT.

Either they give some compensation to the veterans or they will lose a huge part of their player base.

~We can’t be caught. We are outside the grid.
we are the ultimate defence against mordremoth.
We are Ley Line Jumpers