Player Marriage

Player Marriage

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: raven.1752

raven.1752

I think player marriage would be very beneficial in a lot ways, not just role play.

For married players they can have a minor buff that boosts stats slightly whenever those two characters playing together. Just those two though no alts. The buff could be called Love Conquers or something like that.

Also to counter it, for those who would just get married for the buff, if one dies while near their spouse they get a minor debuff for the loss of them.

As for account bound items keep it like that, but when they play together there is a chance to get items that are called Marriage bound items.

Also once we do get guild halls which I heard are int he works, players can buy player housing spots inside the guild halls or rooms to be exact. Married couples could purchase one together as well.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

enjoyed the beta of a certain upcoming game, eh? Sure, why not, seems like a fun thing to do.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Mawwiage…it bwings us togevah!

Attachments:

Player Marriage

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Sorry, but hell no. There is absolutely no way that I’d ever want developers’ time wasted on this.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but on another game I used to play… e-dating was a prevalent issue that commonly led to friendships and gameplay ruined from people becoming overly-attached and depressed and in many cases, scammed/hacked. If it’s encouraged on a game there are many potential drawbacks to worry about.

Ever hear about “catfishing”? You’d be surprised at how common this is across the internet— especially on roleplaying games.

OP I’m not insinuating that you have these negative intentions, but please keep this out of GW2. I don’t want to see the same disasters from Runescape seep their way into here.

Attachments:

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Player Marriage

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Sorry, but hell no. There is absolutely no way that I’d ever want developers’ time wasted on this.

Seriously no.

I heard you can get married in the Hello Kitty game. Sounds like that might work for you.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Player Marriage

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

See the problem here is, marriages would be very quick and fleeting if they gave buffs. Someone else wants to get the buff, would you have to ‘divorce’ and ‘remarry’ the other person?

Only way I’d like to see this implemented is that if you ‘divorce’, all your gold, badges and other currencies get thrown into a pool then divided 70/30 for the woman/man, just like in real life.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I will only support this if they also allow marriage between same gender. Just no human/animal/cabbage/alien stuff.

Player Marriage

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I will only support this if they also allow marriage between same gender. Just no human/animal/cabbage stuff.

But my min sized Asura engineer just LOVES furries!

Player Marriage

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I’m all for it.

But make it more realistic.

Have the ‘buff’ slowly drain the life out of you.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Call it “brother/sister in arms” – “warband mate” – “krewe member” etc.

This “bonus” also applies if you are playing in a party with someone else that has this buff, even if he/she is not part of your “warband/krewe” etc.

Edit: Perhaps don’t make it a buff per se – but add earnable skills that apply a special combo bonus? Less to add a power creep but more diversity and visual gratification. Potential to add “warband/krewe” armour.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Player Marriage

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I’d love a feature like this. But it’s definitely not a priority :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Player Marriage

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

On second thought maybe this line should be more integrated into guilds, instead of constructing yet another feature. Could even work along with the personality traits that are thus far useless.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Player Marriage

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Or you could just show someone you love them directly. I’m sorry, but e-marrying your partner in a game isn’t going to win any brownie points.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Player Marriage

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

New items in the Gem Store!

600 gems: Prenuptial Agreement
Requires: Female must sign while not under CC, witnessed by non-guild member, not applicable to legendaries even if soulbound.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I would prefer a little different system. Instead of marriage, I would like to have the chance to have a bond with another character that might not have anything to do with romantic relations.

A bond of two who for some reason care very much about each other. To some this could be, of course, romantic marriage or other romantic relationship. But it could also be a very firm friendship or family members caring for each other.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Why on earth would players want this? No we do not need to know that couples play the game together and no I don’t see how playing with a lover should give you an extra boost(stat) this sounds silly and stupid to me, this is not a dating website, it’s a game

Player Marriage

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Instead of marriage, why not have some sort of boost for playing with guildies, as it is called guild wars after-all

Player Marriage

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

I can see the scammers :

- You are very pretty , will you marry me ?

- Humm ok , let’s do it

2 minutes later you receive an in game Divorce e-mail to let you know that you have lost half of your Gold and collectible tabs.

Player Marriage

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Or you could just show someone you love them directly. I’m sorry, but e-marrying your partner in a game isn’t going to win any brownie points.

You know you can do both right?

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Player Marriage

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

The r/l ramifications of in in-game marriage can cause more problems than one realizes. I remember trying to explain another game’s “marriage” feature to my non-gamer husband.

Roleplaying aside, there is no reason to be “married” to another player. Any buff that would be applied is already available through other means such as boosters.

Please don’t let this become a cyber dating game.

Level 80 Elementalist

Player Marriage

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I was actually talking about this, semi jokingly, with some guildies the other day. There are some games that have marriage specific content, but I think ANet (if they ever decide on implementing a marriage system) would have to keep it relatively balanced. Don’t need people marrying each other all willy nilly for the sake of rewards. I know I did that in an old MMO. Married my co-leader (who was already married IRL), cause we knew nothing would form between us, and we mutually wanted the rewards.

Some small effects I could see are something similar to what Ragnarok Online had. (Fuzzy memory here, apologies). Healing others at the sake of your own HP, for example. Maybe refill your partner’s endurance by sacrificing your own. That way it would be better between two players who actually know each other’s playstyles or such?

But as fun as a marriage system would be, it really isn’t that necessary at the moment.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

(edited by Sera.6539)

Player Marriage

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

I love the fact when they released it in Rift, they released the divorce papers at the same time . It was used a lot and a lot of people enjoyed it (not sure about the divorces).

Player Marriage

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

Rift even included a nice wedding ceremony where you could invite up to 200 people. The rewards were strictly cosmetic although attending and participating in a wedding counted as achievements.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Kitten NO!

I’m on my third wife in RL, last thing I need is a in game wife to follow me around and tell me how I’m not playing the game correctly!

Player Marriage

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Two enthusiastic thumbs ups…well played.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Rift even included a nice wedding ceremony where you could invite up to 200 people. The rewards were strictly cosmetic although attending and participating in a wedding counted as achievements.

Omg that’d annoy me so much. Also you sent me off on a tangent of horrible “what ifs” ugh. xD

Imagine if they released a Living Story where you had to attend Kasmeer and Marjory getting married for unique temporary rewards…

I’d ragequit. EXACTLY like this. http://puu.sh/7sIxy.gif

Player Marriage

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

ROFLMAO

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Player Marriage

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

Well, now wait a minute, the whole concept of player marriage is wonderful but we’re missing one vital thing here? Where would they live?

Sure, they can go to Southsun Cove’s tourist location for the honeymoon, but until ANet gives us player homes… we’ll get married, honeymoon, then forever be homeless…

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Player Marriage

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

IDK about marriage but the idea of some kind of symbiotic “bond” with interesting mechanics has a lot of potential. Something like gaining a window of invulnerability to res your downed bond-mate or sharing certain boons when proc’ed on one person could add a pretty awesome level of strategy.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Only way I’d like to see this implemented is that if you ‘divorce’, all your gold, badges and other currencies get thrown into a pool then divided 70/30 for the woman/man, just like in real life.

One word. Prenup.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Player Marriage

Posted by: SaltyDave.7346

SaltyDave.7346

While I agree that GW2 is (or was supposed to be…) a social game, reaching a level of “online living” where you want a marrige option in a game that doesn’t have it, is certainly unhealthy / antisocial. No offense intended. I vote no on this one, for the sake of everyone.

Player Marriage

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

I would enjoy seeing this system in game. (Just watched SAO)
I would not enjoy seeing all of the rage/ scam posts coming shortly after.

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

What, and lose half of my Gold? See my mini pets on weekends only? No thanks. I don’t want to lose all sense of fantasy to realism. Thanks.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Player Marriage

Posted by: dreadicon.5840

dreadicon.5840

I just wanted to pop in and say I support this feature. Doesn’t even need to be more than a small common bank, having a chance for account bound/soul bound to become ‘marriage bound’, maybe give a ring item with a small, subtle visual effect, and include a soulbound character name change scroll for each. Make it a cash shop item; I will buy it.

It doesn’t need any stat buffs, it could just give a superficial buff when you party together. A neat functional thing would be house sharing (if player housing is implemented), or a scroll which once per hour/day can port you to the waypoint nearest your spouse (if they are in open world).

Player Marriage

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I will only support this if they also allow marriage between same gender. Just no human/animal/cabbage/alien stuff.

Fun fact: The humans are actually the aliens.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

enjoyed the beta of a certain upcoming game, eh? Sure, why not, seems like a fun thing to do.

Which game would that be?

I would be very interested in seeing this concept in game. I remember marriage being possible in Perfect World and I always considered it very sweet.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Call it “brother/sister in arms” – “warband mate” – “krewe member” etc.

This “bonus” also applies if you are playing in a party with someone else that has this buff, even if he/she is not part of your “warband/krewe” etc.

I’m not sure if I’d want player marrage put into the game in any mechanical way, but this here could be a good idea.

Each race could have a seperate Signet-like skill. Humans could call it “Pull Together”, for charr it could be “Warband Training”, asura could get “For Science!”, and so on.

Everyone on your team that has this skill slotted (not active, there would be no active for it, only passive) gets a bonus based on the number of people on the team with the matching skill, -1 (so you yourself don’t count for your own buff). Or, instead of team, it’s everyone with the matching skill within a certain radius.

This makes it a highly situational skill. And on a team where everyone’s using it, it’s a good idea, but it still carries the cost of taking up one of your skill slots.

A guild based version of this could be interesting as well.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I would be very interested in seeing this concept in game. I remember marriage being possible in Perfect World and I always considered it very sweet.

Getting married with billions of shops around, before they added that chapel. Lulz.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Player Marriage

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Getting married with billions of shops around, before they added that chapel. Lulz.

Would be fun if was a seamless map(like old RO) but in gw2 would turn to be a instanced zone with overflows, meh kinda borks the idea….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

because this would add so much to the longevity to the game over real content.

dont even give anet more ideas to waste time

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Player Marriage

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

They should add a “divorce arena” as well, where former couples can engage in trial by combat to determine the asset split.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

I never got the concept of a dedicated marriage system in a combat-oriented game.

Player Marriage

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

One word. Prenup.

oh man, there’s profit to be had there… can Anet release the lawyer profession about a patch before the marriage feature is released, please?

Player Marriage

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

Lawyer skills: ‘Show Evidence’, ‘Take That!’ and of course, the ever popular ‘Objection!’. ^.^

Player Marriage

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I think Elder Scrolls Online is doing something liek this with the Rings of Mara. :P

So romantic.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Player Marriage

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I’ve said this before about this topic, probably a year ago.

I have no problem with the addition of the role-playing attributes of this.

RIFT did a very good job with this feature, offering marriage contracts, flowers, bridal dresses, wedding suits for the males, and divorce papers. They even offered an instance for the wedding, complete with a proper official for the ceremony, the ceremony itself, wedding guests, party, libations and gifts. And yes you could invite group members as well.

I would take exception to adding anything that would impact actual gameplay – such as tangible benefits (buffs, stat increases, shared gear, etcetera) or detriments (debuffs).

No problem with this creating a title.

I imagine, done correctly, this could be quite a boon for the gem store.

PS: Although I am not opposed to a small team off developing this, there are other more pressing issues that need to be addressed in game.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Player Marriage

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I offer my paw in marriage.

Bids start at 50g and 50 bloodstone bricks.

Can offer help for daily rezzer achievement.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Player Marriage

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Don’t take this the wrong way, but on another game I used to play… e-dating was a prevalent issue that commonly led to friendships and gameplay ruined from people becoming overly-attached and depressed and in many cases, scammed/hacked. If it’s encouraged on a game there are many potential drawbacks to worry about.

Ever hear about “catfishing”? You’d be surprised at how common this is across the internet— especially on roleplaying games.

OP I’m not insinuating that you have these negative intentions, but please keep this out of GW2. I don’t want to see the same disasters from Runescape seep their way into here.

I agree completely… As someone who prefers to use video games as a means of escaping the woes of daily life, I try my best to avoid talking anything about my actual life. I want to play the video game and forget about reality for a while, it let’s me take some of the weight off of my shoulders and is a kind of therapeutic release. Although this is personal preference and some would rather meld their actual lives with their game lives, it can create a very unhealthy environment. Emotions are a powerful thing, and when I start seeing couples having public arguments on map chat because one of those was found to only be using the marriage for personal benefits while the other felt actually emotionally attached, and one of them decides to publicly embarrass that individual… I suddenly wouldn’t want to play anymore. Marriage and having children and anything else that has to do with real life can either be left to real life or to a soap opera type video game… This is a fantasy MMORPG. If I’m out slaying dragons and fighting soldiers from other worlds in the mists, I don’t want to have to worry about my ingame life and what my ingame family might do if I were to die.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Player Marriage

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

There are far better things the devs need to be focused on right now other than this…

Player Marriage

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

LoL just go and get yourself a set of RINGS OF MARA and be done with it

I am sure it will be available soon in Gem store (after 4 April maybe)