Player Marriage

Player Marriage

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Marriage in game would be really really weird without Player Housing.

I remember during the Horizontal progression CDI some one made a very detailed housing/ neighborhood proposal that included weddings etc.

for me personally I don’t know how comfortable I would be with player marriage- I don’t think I would go there.

if we could have NPC relationships I would be all over it.
my Priory Necro is dying to show Trehearne her collection of Orrian etchings

Gunnar’s Hold

Player Marriage

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Things like that should be purely RP-things. No anykind of bonuses, boosts or changes in the game mechanics. Some kind of title would be ok, but anything more than that and the system would just be abused/cheated/exploited so much and possibly make players feel that they should be married to someone just to get these boosts.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

“Woman: I don’t like what’s happening in my guild. So much drama!
Man: What is your guild called
Woman: The Traveling Thespians. "

A point of reference.
For married folks, it’s a cute idea, but I can easily see it leading to unnecessary drama. Simply the conversation here about who characters can marry opens a headache that ANet shouldn’t have to worry about.
Want to “Marry” another character?
Create a guild with just you and your significant other(s)/family (Rp stuff).
Do vows, exchange rings, whatever.

Making marriage an in-game feature is window dressing for players that lack the creativity to do something themselves.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Player Marriage

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Instead of marriage, why not have some sort of boost for playing with guildies, as it is called guild wars after-all

There already is a boost, you gain bonus influence for playing with Guildies.

I’m not sure yet if I would want Marriage in this game, but I’m intrigued by several of the suggestions being made.

Player Marriage

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

They should add a “divorce arena” as well, where former couples can engage in trial by combat to determine the asset split.

ROTFLMAO! This would be something exclusive for Charr and Norn couples. I can definately see this happening in their society. Humans, Asura, and Sylvari wouldn’t do this.

If marriage is ever included in this game, I also want an option so my main and secondary characters could be officially married. I tend to RP those two as a married couple anyways.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Dehvi.1435

Dehvi.1435

I cannot express enough how much I dislike this idea. As spells image says – this is not a dating site. How sad and alone must you be to want to get married in a game that has nothing even to do with romance? Go home.

The only thing achieved without effort is failure

Player Marriage

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I cannot express enough how much I dislike this idea. As spells image says – this is not a dating site. How sad and alone must you be to want to get married in a game that has nothing even to do with romance? Go home.

how about we like roleplaying with a person dear to us?

Player Marriage

Dehvi.1435

How about go do that in a different game.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

How about go do that in a different game.

and why exactly? How does a title of “wife of” or “husband of” even affect you? Roleplaying is common in all MMOs you know.

Player Marriage

Dehvi.1435

It affects me in the sense that devs will be wasting their time adding a married option to the game when they could be doing something actually related to GW.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

It affects me in the sense that devs will be wasting their time adding a married option to the game when they could be doing something actually related to GW.

Always depends on what you would call a waste of time. Are new armour skins a waste of time? They’re not content. Is SAB a waste of time? It’s not tied to the main story line. Was making Fotm a waste of time? We had enough dungeons. Was the new WvW map a waste of time? Not everyone likes WvW. Are living story titles a waste of time? WE can do without earning a title…

Player Marriage

Posted by: Kim.4152

Kim.4152

Only way I’d like to see this implemented is that if you ‘divorce’, all your gold, badges and other currencies get thrown into a pool then divided 70/30 for the woman/man, just like in real life.

New items in the Gem Store!
600 gems: Prenuptial Agreement
Requires: Female must sign while not under CC, witnessed by non-guild member, not applicable to legendaries even if soulbound.

Newsflash to misogynists, women get messed over in divorce settlements too and are increasingly often in need of prenups to protect them as well.

Player Marriage

Dehvi.1435

All the things you mentioned work well with how the game was made. They are all things the game was designed to be. Getting married is not.

Player Marriage

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Since people might take marriage too seriously, I recommend the more politically correct BFF feature.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

All the things you mentioned work well with how the game was made. They are all things the game was designed to be. Getting married is not.

So the game was designed to have SAB in it?

Player Marriage

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

I have never seen a community being so toxic over QoL features which ought to be standard for MMOs. Responds to this thread or the duel thread just keep amazing me…

Sure there is little chance any suggest feature or option will be implemented soon or at all since anet is busy with their own schedule anyway, but people opposing these things don’t even bring arguements. All they say is “No, I hate it”. Like their personal opinion would be more important than OP’s. Fact is non of these things would hurt anyone. They are as optional as everything else in GW2 (probably even more) and someone who gets offended by a group of player gathering in an (atm) unpopulated location to have fun, have way bigger problems with themselves than to post/complain/hate here.

I wouldn’t marry anyone. Not for the bonus, not for the RP, not because I see some obscure point it. Still, have my +1.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Imagine how many Black Widows would come out if:

1) Marriages were introduced
2) Enable “friendly fire” in PvE, PvP, and towns
3) Inherit spouse’s belongings upon character death

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Player Marriage

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Sure, implement marriage. Just don’t implement divorce.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Player Marriage

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

A stale endgame.
Horrific balance.
PvP lying untouched for nearly a year.
Broken WvW matchups.
Dead servers.
Poorly written temporary content.

…and you want them to waste time on IN-GAME MARRIAGE?! Wow…

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

A stale endgame.
Horrific balance.
Broken WvW matchups.
Dead servers.

All of the points above are subjective. For you the game is in a horrible state and then some of us are enjoying parts of it that you think are broken.

Player Marriage

NewTrain.7549

A stale endgame.
Horrific balance.
Broken WvW matchups.
Dead servers.

All of the points above are subjective. For you the game is in a horrible state and then some of us are enjoying parts of it that you think are broken.

Yeah, it’s clearly just me. It’s not like there are countless threads about each of these issues. Very much just me and no one else. Everything is perfect, my bad. Everything is so perfect, that trivial garbage like player marriage can become a priority. How did I ever make such a monumental mistake of thinking there were more important issues to be dealt with?

Player Marriage

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

/Too Many Character Slots.

Attachments:

I ? Karkas.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

Yeah, it’s clearly just me. It’s not like there are countless threads about each of these issues. Very much just me and no one else. Everything is perfect, my bad. Everything is so perfect, that trivial garbage like player marriage can become a priority. How did I ever make such a monumental mistake of thinking there were more important issues to be dealt with?

There’s threads wanting that, there’s threads wanting marriage, there’s threads thinking that this, this, or this part of the game doesn’t need an update, there are people enjoying the game, there are people thinking that the game is broken. Point is – everyone has their own opinions and it does not necessarily match yours. Your opinion is very negative when it comes to the game. My opinion is probably overly positive. Which side has more supporters and what parts of the game actually need addressing? Only Anet has the numbers.

Player Marriage

Posted by: mnwolfboy.9348

mnwolfboy.9348

I am fifty-fifty on marriage in online games. Mostly because if there is even going to be a marriage option it should allow equal marriage, however because I would assume there would be a lot of players being immature about the marriage, there should be a massive challenge or must have a lot of gold or something to make it expensive so it would discourage immature use. I don’t think there should be a buff at all, if there was perhaps a small increase in LUCK or EXP gain or something. Alternatively I would be just as happy if they just release wedding costumes and could have a roleplay wedding my self. Sometimes simpler is better.

Player Marriage

NewTrain.7549

There’s threads wanting that, there’s threads wanting marriage, there’s threads thinking that this, this, or this part of the game doesn’t need an update, there are people enjoying the game, there are people thinking that the game is broken. Point is – everyone has their own opinions and it does not necessarily match yours. Your opinion is very negative when it comes to the game. My opinion is probably overly positive. Which side has more supporters and what parts of the game actually need addressing? Only Anet has the numbers.

Show my one successful game, ever, that prioritizes in-game marriage over balance or playable content. Your “everything is subjective” argument may amuse the other philosophy 101 students, but it falls apart under even the most cursory examination.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Sorry, but hell no. There is absolutely no way that I’d ever want developers’ time wasted on this.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but on another game I used to play… e-dating was a prevalent issue that commonly led to friendships and gameplay ruined from people becoming overly-attached and depressed and in many cases, scammed/hacked. If it’s encouraged on a game there are many potential drawbacks to worry about.

Ever hear about “catfishing”? You’d be surprised at how common this is across the internet— especially on roleplaying games.

OP I’m not insinuating that you have these negative intentions, but please keep this out of GW2. I don’t want to see the same disasters from Runescape seep their way into here.

I completely agree. Runescape’s immersion was ruined for me because every 5 minutes or so in Lumbridge, some poor sap would waddle over to me and ask me to date them, probably because they saw my shiny armor. The sad thing was, I would always ask how old they were before I muted them, and the age range was always between 7-15.

No MMORPG should ever have a “Marriage” option, in my opinion. You play games to escape from marriage and the trials of life, not to “enjoy” them in a game as well.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Player Marriage

Posted by: mnwolfboy.9348

mnwolfboy.9348

I think the closest to a Marriage Option is costumes for the characters for RP weddings. Some nice looking Tux’s and Dresses, with a variety of types so not everyone is the same. Of course there is color dyeing.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

please NO
just no
no

Naz ©

Player Marriage

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

I can’t get legally married in real life and that kittenes me off, but I’m totally more than okay with not being able to get married in Guild Wars 2.

Even if it’s an MMO I hope it stays as far away as possible from being a ‘life sim’.

\o/

Player Marriage

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

And after your character gets married they can also add children to the game! Then every time you log in you find out that 20 gold is missing from your account. And if you didn’t have that 20 gold…the bill collector starts repossessing your character’s armor. Then weapons. Bye bye materials. Mini-pets…gone. Dyes…thing of the past. Town Clothes even…poof! And woe be to you if you are Asura…college isn’t cheap!

Player Marriage

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Ugh, just no.

I don’t want to be bombarded with marriage requests every time I log in because people get turned on by simulated breasts or are too stupid to realise that in-game characters are completely separate in terms of gender, orientation and age to the people playing them.

This isn’t match.com.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Player Marriage

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

I never got the concept of a dedicated marriage system in a combat-oriented game.

Unrelated to the marriage thing; I wish this game was less of a combat-oriented game.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

Player Marriage

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

I’m already married to another player. I’ve met plenty of other players who were married, too.

I never got the concept of a dedicated marriage system in a combat-oriented game.

Unrelated to the marriage thing; I wish this game was less of a combat-oriented game.

I agree to some extent. I always feel like such a thug in this game, no matter what I’m doing. “Save the village? Sure, I’ll go slaughter some stuff.” “Collect things to power some new invention? Yeah, I can kill elementals.” “Take the ranch back from bandits? By killing them, naturally.” “Help the quaggans raise crabs? Awesome, I’ll kill that skale.” “Pitch in at the mine? Okay, I’ll flush out some dredge and kill them.” “Help power the lights of Caledon Forest? Okay, I’ll smash fireflies.”

All this killing, of course, by manipulating complex magical energies and other forces of creation.

It felt especially awkward in the asura personal story when Zojja shows off asuran mental superiority by constantly talking about beating people up.

There are some exceptions to the combat rule, though, in the form of certain Renown Hearts that most players despise. There are occasionally unique fight mechanics that challenge players in some way, but again, they’re “fight” mechanics.

I understand why, though. It’s a competitive, skill-based game. We’re competing against each other, against the environment, or both. We can’t very well have “hugging contests.” But all the same, I feel bad when my AoE hits a neutral or an ambient creature.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Player Marriage

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Ugh, just no.

I don’t want to be bombarded with marriage requests every time I log in because people get turned on by simulated breasts or are too stupid to realise that in-game characters are completely separate in terms of gender, orientation and age to the people playing them.

This isn’t match.com.

This implies a lack of marriage system prevents people from giving you unwanted attention anyways.

I couldn’t count the amount of times I’ve received whispers from people saying they’d “stick it in my kitten ” if they could, and other …….charming……….messages.

Player Marriage

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Ugh, just no.

This isn’t match.com.

This implies a lack of marriage system prevents people from giving you unwanted attention anyways.

I couldn’t count the amount of times I’ve received whispers from people saying they’d "stick it in my kitten if they could, and other …….charming……….messages.

I know what you mean. I’m male and I’m currently running four characters in this game: a level 80 female Human necromancer, a level 21 female Sylvari mesmer, a level 10 male Asuran engineer and a level 20 male Norn ranger. Guess which one gets all the unwanted attention?

There’s a lot of bored 12-year-olds out there it seems.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

+ 1000

It is sad…and a little creepy

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

Show my one successful game, ever, that prioritizes in-game marriage over balance or playable content. Your “everything is subjective” argument may amuse the other philosophy 101 students, but it falls apart under even the most cursory examination.

1. Who says prioritize?
2. How hard do you think a title and one animation is to implement?

Player Marriage

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

1) It is already possible for your character to get married in game without any additional development by Anet. A title for it would be very bad RP.

on the other hand

2) Those claiming that this game has, “nothing to do with romance,” are mistaken.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

1) It is already possible for your character to get married

Well help from Anet would be nice.

There are no clothing that you could use as a wedding dress/ suit
There’s no two person animations (like holding hands or kissing)
and then there’s no visible accessory/ title/ head gear/ anything that could show that you’ve done in.

Player Marriage

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

and then there’s no visible accessory/ title/ head gear/ anything that could show that you’ve done in.

Sure, put some formal/wedding clothing in the gemshop.

Animations ? We are talking about an RP situation here. RP centers around imagination.

A title or anything of the sort would be very bad RP. With the exception of a ring there is no physical accessory, in the real world, to indicate that the man and woman walking down the street together are married rather than just friends or BF/GF.

Asking for a title is not asking for the ability to have characters get married in game, it is asking to be given the tools to announce it to other people who may not (probably dont) care or want to know.

The only people that are going to care about your character’s attachment to another player’s character are the two of you and your friends. I met my RL wife in GW1. After our honeymoon we hosted a large party for guild/alliance members in our guild hall/vent server. We had fun with our in game friends and family, had contests, gave out prizes, and generally celebrated with those who had any reason to give a kitten . Everyone that mattered knew without needing titles to announce it to random strangers in the game.

Player Marriage

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

You need that much help to get married?

Human default town clothes would be acceptable with the right dye job.

And honestly, the most marriage-appropriate animations would probably affect the “Teen” rating.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

You need that much help to get married?

Human default town clothes would be acceptable with the right dye job.

And honestly, the most marriage-appropriate animations would probably affect the “Teen” rating.

So teens can’t see kissing or hand holding? Oh yeah, I remember The Sims getting mature rating! Don’t you?

As an asura my town clothes at the moment are the wintersday dress. There’s no male equivalent when it comes to looking fancy and when it comes to dresses I wouldn’t mind more variation.

I don’t need that much help. I wouldn’t mind some help though. Had seen more titles, emotes, clothing in other games and I think that variety would do the game good. And the ability to sit on chairs. And first person. And other elements that could help out in role playing. That’s why I support this idea in the first place. In order to have a proper marriage they would have to roll out at least some animations, some new town clothing, maybe some new building locations?

Player Marriage

NewTrain.7549

1. Who says prioritize?
2. How hard do you think a title and one animation is to implement?

One animation is harder than 0, and 0 is the appropriate number here.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

So you don’t like content unless it caters to you only? You probably think that all those cutscenes in the personal story are useless too?

Player Marriage

NewTrain.7549

So you don’t like content unless it caters to you only? You probably think that all those cutscenes in the personal story are useless too?

I don’t like useless content when there are actual important things that desperately need to be worked on. I don’t care if it takes 30 minutes to make a “marriage emote”, that’s 30 minutes that could have been better served doing almost anything else.

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

I don’t like useless content when there are actual important things that desperately need to be worked on. I don’t care if it takes 30 minutes to make a “marriage emote”, that’s 30 minutes that could have been better served doing almost anything else.

And yet not everyone sees such content as useless. I didn’t use the new cutscenes in the personal story, but someone still sacrificed time making them. Does that mean that they shouldn’t have because of my personal opinion?

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

Dungeons generally see less play than open world content so no developer resources should be spent on them.

PvP generally sees less play than PvE so no development resources should be spent on it.

New armor sets are not playable content, are only cosmetic, have no impact on balance, etc. and so no development resources should be spent on them.

Right ?

Finally someone understands! If people don’t support it, that’s fine, but why do they have to be so condescending towards anyone that likes the idea? Why do they feel like they deserve their content more than any other people?

Player Marriage

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Dungeons generally see less play than open world content so no developer resources should be spent on them.

PvP generally sees less play than PvE so no development resources should be spent on it.

New armor sets are not playable content, are only cosmetic, have no impact on balance, etc. and so no development resources should be spent on them.

Right ?

Finally someone understands! If people don’t support it, that’s fine, but why do they have to be so condescending towards anyone that likes the idea? Why do they feel like they deserve their content more than any other people?

That can be applied to anything, why do the few people that want this “marriage” thing feel they deserve to have it in game when other games already offer it or are based around it?

Player Marriage

Mirta.5029

That can be applied to anything, why do the few people that want this “marriage” thing feel they deserve to have it in game when other games already offer it or are based around it?

When the topic essentially is “guys wouldn’t this be cool?” I don’t think that anyone feels like they deserve or absolutely need anything. However the pure insulting negativity in this thread is horrible.

Like for example this

I heard you can get married in the Hello Kitty game. Sounds like that might work for you.

“oh you would enjoy this feature? Go and play a game for kids! That’s where you belong!”. It would be the same as telling a person that likes to carefully pick a specific armour style for his character to go and play a dress up game. Because this is a serious MMO!

this is not a dating website, it’s a game

God forbid someone wants some simulation in their MMO.

reaching a level of “online living” where you want a marrige option in a game that doesn’t have it, is certainly unhealthy / antisocial

Is wanting to be able to emote in games anti-social too?

dont even give anet more ideas to waste time

Implying that anything that they don’t plan using is a waste of time.

How sad and alone must you be to want to get married in a game that has nothing even to do with romance? Go home.

Implying that a person is sad if they enjoy roleplaying.

This isn’t even half the horrible insulting negativity on this thread. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. It probably will never be in the game anyway, but why the need to insult the people that like it?

Player Marriage

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

A lot of teenagers play this game. So marriage/dating is a big no-no.

e.g. 44 year old male player nicknamed “OldGuy” is dating a 15 year old female player nicknamed"MeSoHot".

See a problem?

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs