Please Make Map Completion Account Bound

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

This is the only thing preventing me from wanting to level alts.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Use tomes instead, and not everyone wants map completion to be account bound.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

No thanks. /15 chars

Jasher.6580

I do use tomes, but I don’t want an alt without map completed.

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

So complete it.

Or perhaps we can just give away everything in the game until everything has no meaning at all.

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No thank you. Exploration is part of my leveling regimen, along with eotm, and crafting. Not to mention that all of those world completion components that I do on 80s (after Friday) will help fill those core mastery meters that I’ll be working on (and that’s decent chunks of xp for very little work). So yeah….no.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Maybe after a certain threshold of doing something it should become account bound instead? Maybe on the fourth of fifth time perhaps? There’s only so much one can get out of exploring the same starter areas, for example.

I can’t even bring myself to do more than half of MC on my first character 2500+ hours in. The other 15 characters… yea that’s never happening.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Maybe, Deceiver, but I think it would need to be an ‘opt in’ option. And those that use it should not have the option to earn map completion rewards or gifts of exploration on those characters.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Just a flesh wound.3589

After the expansion starts all exp to level 80 suddenly becomes both useful and valuable because you will need exp to progress your Mastery lines. Exploration gives a very large chunk of exp. Everything you do gives you exp. To make exploration account bound means losing all that. No longer can you go to a new area on your level 80 and open up the map and do hearts and that exp benefit you directly.

So no. Thanks but no thanks,

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Emelyn.8729

Emelyn.8729

I’m another who’d like to see Map Completion account bound, but I can respect that other people don’t. Don’t understand it, but I can respect it.

Perhaps there could be compromise:

Suggestion 1) Character A completes Queensdale and Kessex, Character B completes Field of Ruin and Caledone Forrest. The account counts it as 4 zones done. That said, if Character A visits Caledon, she will still find it fogged in.

Or

Suggestion 2) Character A completes the world on her own, reaping all rewards and benefits. The Account Holder now has the option to purchase (either in game currency or via the gemstore) an All Waypoints Pass for subsequent characters, either on an account-wide basis or on a character-by-character basis. This option would include a complete unfogging but would not fill in any hearts, heroes, vistas or PoIs.

Of course, subsequent characters wouldn’t get any leveling credit from opening waypoints, nor would they get rewards for completing zones. Having it as an option satisfies both sides, I think.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Every time you complete a map you receive a bunch of goodies. This suggestion would severely harm your ability to get goodies.

For that reason, this is a really, really, really bad suggestion.

Do the map, get the goodies.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

map completition is tied to exp and rewards, how would that work with an account bound system?
if you say take away the rewards then no. a hundred times no. some of us like to explore and taking away the exploration rewards is a huge step backwards.
if you think all new alts should get all map completition rewards on creation I also say no. it doesn’t make any sense.
if you think other system could work then I’m listening.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Yeah, I’ve got 3500+ hours and only managed map completion once. From time to time I have a go at it but lose interest after a couple minutes. That’s just insulting, lol. It’s almost certainly never going to be account bound but there has to be some kind of middle ground. I can think of a couple options:

(a) Emelyn’s suggestion is good. Maybe some kind of mystic forge recipe to unlock all waypoints using a Gift of Exploration, a bunch of Hero points and other crap.

(b) Remove hearts from the map completion. They’ve served their purpose, might as well retire them now. The new maps and expansion don’t have ’em anyway.

© Add proper incentives for open world exploration. Yeah, there’s some neat stuff after completing each zone, but hardly enough considering how long each map takes. Vanilla open world PvE needs waay more love. Something along the lines of the PvP reward tracks.

coso.9173

I agree that hearts could not count for map completition. But i also think that all areas should be de-fogged and discovered for map completition (unlike now)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since map completion gives Gifts of Exploration, what’s your suggestion then to acquire more or do players only craft two classic Legendaries.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I personally enjoy playing the game. Doing map completion gives me some kind of target to work towards while i play. I’ve done 4 world completions so far and i plan to start on revenant pretty much as soon as the class is available.

To be quite honest, i don’t really understand what’s motivated your suggestion. If you don’t want to do world completion more than once, then… don’t? it’s not like it’s required (for anything other than crafting the current legendaries; even then, making it so it can be done only once hurts rather than helps that).

If it’s just a matter of you not wanting to unlock the wps… maybe these weird ‘teleport to friend’ stones could instead be used to unlock a specific waypoint for some other character (optional whether they’re an alt or on another account)

Jasher.6580

My suggestion is to give someone to option to opt out of all the “goodies”

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Seems weird to me that a newly made character would instantly know where everything is and have access to level 80 areas.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Seems weird to me that a newly made character would instantly know where everything is and have access to level 80 areas.

That’s always the problem with alts in an MMO.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

I don’t mind going through the map again, but the Hearts gotta go. They are the very definition of grinding, serves no purposes but repetitive and tedious tasks, especially some of them gives less than 5% progress for each time you complete one of the tasks.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If it’s opt in that’s fine for me. It’s not necessary to insult those who enjoy different things than you to make your request and argument for it. The people who do it will be losing out on an enormous amount of exp for the Mastery lines that they can casually get just by running through new areas, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

ANet may give it to you.

Narrrz.7532

If it’s opt in that’s fine for me. It’s not necessary to insult those who enjoy different things than you to make your request and argument for it. The people who do it will be losing out on an enormous amount of exp for the Mastery lines that they can casually get just by running through new areas, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Just so long as the star is only displayed for characters who have legitimately completed the map.

I don’t mind going through the map again, but the Hearts gotta go. They are the very definition of grinding, serves no purposes but repetitive and tedious tasks, especially some of them gives less than 5% progress for each time you complete one of the tasks.

I think this is a different issue. Yes, some hearts could definitely do with rebalancing, but i absolutely think they should still count for world completion. There are ways to cheese/rapidly progress most of them with minimal tedium anyway.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just so long as the star is only displayed for characters who have legitimately completed the map.

No star
No karma
No exp
No map completion goodies including gift of exploration

Fair enough imo if that’s what they want to to.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Jazzabelle.6531

Jazzabelle.6531

I absolutely love map completion. I currently have 5 characters at 100% and 9 at approximately 60%. Doing map completion is how I level my chars, so I for one dont want to see it go. I dont understand the problem the OP has in saying that map completion stops him making alts because it is totally not needed to make them. You can get your chars to lvl 80 so many different ways.

I dont understand why people want things taken out of games because it doesnt suit their tastes in game play. If you dont like it then just dont do it.

Narrrz.7532

I absolutely love map completion. I currently have 5 characters at 100% and 9 at approximately 60%. Doing map completion is how I level my chars, so I for one dont want to see it go. I dont understand the problem the OP has in saying that map completion stops him making alts because it is totally not needed to make them. You can get your chars to lvl 80 so many different ways.

I dont understand why people want things taken out of games because it doesnt suit their tastes in game play. If you dont like it then just dont do it.

precisely this.

Though i think a lot of people get jealous of the rewards given to those who have done what, to them, would be an overwhelmingly difficult task.
The problem, of course, is that their exclusivity is what makes them desirable in the first place. If everyone has it, it’s not nearly so attractive.

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

If leveling is the issue and you just want to rush to 80, eotm and not being bad at sPvP are better ways. You only really need waypoints to dungeons and that shouldn’t take longer than an hour if your using lions arch

Posted by: Emelyn.8729

Emelyn.8729

I’m chuckling because some of you don’t like doing the hearts. Personally, I don’t mind the hearts at all. Sure, they can be a bit grindy, but that’s ok. For me, it’s the vistas. I’d gladly do double, even triple hearts if I could just avoid those gawd-awful vistas.

Heck, I’ll even take the vistas that don’t require jumping. Give me an odd path or winding road to get to the vista and I’m ok. Add in jumping and my jaws get tight. Vistas and jumping should be divorced. Period.

Honestly, the prospect of having to do jumping vistas again is the one thing that has completely turned me off of doing World Completion/Map Completion a second time. I may not even be able to complete it once, because there are several vistas that I just. can’t. get. to. I wish I’d known that before I started making the attempt.

And that makes me sad, because I truly enjoy exploring. It’s just about my favorite activity in GW2.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

No star
No karma
No exp

And charge them 1G per WP unlocked.

Narrrz.7532

I’m chuckling because some of you don’t like doing the hearts. Personally, I don’t mind the hearts at all. Sure, they can be a bit grindy, but that’s ok. For me, it’s the vistas. I’d gladly do double, even triple hearts if I could just avoid those gawd-awful vistas.

Heck, I’ll even take the vistas that don’t require jumping. Give me an odd path or winding road to get to the vista and I’m ok. Add in jumping and my jaws get tight. Vistas and jumping should be divorced. Period.

Honestly, the prospect of having to do jumping vistas again is the one thing that has completely turned me off of doing World Completion/Map Completion a second time. I may not even be able to complete it once, because there are several vistas that I just. can’t. get. to. I wish I’d known that before I started making the attempt.

And that makes me sad, because I truly enjoy exploring. It’s just about my favorite activity in GW2.

I’m on the fence about this On the one hand, i do like jumping puzzles (and am good at them) and the vista ones are normally non-frustrating (apart from the ones that are part of or at the end of actual jumping puzzles) but i’m not sure whether i feel that doing jumping puzzles really needs to be a part of world completion.

And charge them 1G per WP unlocked.

You know, you may have stumbled on a solution.

Let us use waypoints unlocked by any character on our account – just at an extortionately high cost.
When you unlock it on that character, the price goes down to the normal rate.

(edited by Narrrz.7532)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

No star
No karma
No exp

This. If you want account bound map access, you get none of the perks that go with actually doing the work.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

What I would like is an item, possibly bought with gems, that unlocks all or at least most of the waypoints for a character/account. Maybe make it so it can only be used after you’ve achieved map completion with at least one character.

I don’t care about map completion on alts that much, but it would be nice if my alts could move around the world without having to re-explore it.

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

Map completion is what Anet calls ‘content’. Why would they remove ‘content’?

Just a flesh wound.3589

So the people who do this instead of map exploration can have something to complain about if they change their mind later?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

What should be account bound is waypoint locations.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Jasher.6580

That is what I mean. Waypoints.

(edited by Jasher.6580)

Narrrz.7532

Turn the teleport to friend items into a ‘waypoint calibration stone’ which allows you to imprint someone else’s essence into a waypoint you have unlocked, unlocking it for them too.

Jasher.6580

No star
No karma
No exp

This. If you want account bound map access, you get none of the perks that go with actually doing the work.

I honestly don’t care about the perks. We have a deal sir.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Map completion isn’t preventing me from wanting to level up alts. What is preventing me from wanting to level up alts is the ugly armor. I have to be stuck with the ugly low level armor from 1-79.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Just a flesh wound.3589

Map completion isn’t preventing me from wanting to level up alts. What is preventing me from wanting to level up alts is the ugly armor. I have to be stuck with the ugly low level armor from 1-79.

Outfit. Use from 1-79 then use the wardrobe function on your armor to get the final look you want.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: phreeak.1023

phreeak.1023

dont need it… i only need something like: alts dont need to uncover the map to find certain points. When i am level 80, all i want is getting all WPs, but its hard to find them by running through an area blind.

uncovering gives exp, yeh… but who cares :P

or make an option that WPs on the map are always visible, even in uncovered areas, so i now whats the best way is to unlock them.

(edited by phreeak.1023)

Posted by: Mufasa.8415

Mufasa.8415

All of your alts can use the title; Been there. Done that. You’re set.

Drunken Mufasa
The Stonemouth Keep
Tarnished Coast

Just a flesh wound.3589

dont need it… i only need something like: alts dont need to uncover the map to find certain points. When i am level 80, all i want is getting all WPs, but its hard to find them by running through an area blind.

or make an option that WPs on the map are always visible, even in uncovered areas, so i now whats the best way is to unlock them.

One month after expansion starts, trying to get 8 million exp for Precursor crafting and 8 million exp for gliding and 8 million exp for pack commander and 8 million exp for…… he decides that maybe he does care about exp after all.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: FirstBlood.1590

FirstBlood.1590

I dont agree with the idea making map exploration to be account bound. I have 6 characters at this moment, after playing all the content of games and when i feel bored, I can do map exploration for my alt characters instead, and i can gather some marterial while mapping. Overall, map exploration makes my game to be more interesting.

(edited by FirstBlood.1590)

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

‘Please Make Map Completion Account Bound’

Umm no, please don’t. It’s one of the best parts of the game. Every time I re-do it I discover something new or something I’d totally forgotten about, it’s fun. If you don’t want to do anything but PvP then fine, just stick to that. But tbh I think if you hate exploration in this game you basically don’t like the game and should try something else.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

That is what I mean. Waypoints.

Not the waypoints, the waypoint locations. You’d still have to walk up to them to unlock them, but you’d know beforehand where they are.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Doing hearts is easily half the time it takes to complete a map, so I would rather see a bonus to heart progress for every world completion you have done.

Also having the entire map revealed. Nothing unlocked, just no fog of war. Tired of some of these hearts that don’t appear unless you’re close enough to rub your face against it.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Surely this is tongue in cheek. There was an entire year’s worth of one-shot content.

Also SAB, TA Fwd/Up, That one underwater PvP map… countless weapon and armour skins….

Also, the map itself is the content, re-discovering locations is more of a gate/grind.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

So complete it.

Or perhaps we can just give away everything in the game until everything has no meaning at all.

Or maybe he’s a poor bugger like me who has over 16 toons and doesn’t want to do map completion over 16 times?

I +1 this account bound idea based off that. Only other idea is maybe do it on 3 toons to unlock for all toons?

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Could be an interesting unlock scheme if some of the above got combined:
First completion and all subsequent completions: 20% heart progress, up to 99%
Second completion: Remove FoW by WP’s, allow 1g cost to move to any undiscovered WP.
Third: Remove FoW by hearts
Fourth: Reduce undiscovered WP cost to 50s each
Fifth: Remove FoW from all objectives, Title “Master Geographer”

This way, MC still requires some effort but doesn’t turn the process into a grind, create issues with FoW, or an overly-expensive venture to complete quickly.

coso.9173

No pne has to do map completition if they dont want to. Just go and unlock the wps you need for cities and world bosses and youre done