Please Make Map Completion Account Bound

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Emelyn.8729

Emelyn.8729

No pne has to do map completition if they dont want to. Just go and unlock the wps you need for cities and world bosses and youre done

This is true and not true, simultaneously. Please understand where I’m coming from — I don’t do PvP, WvW or dungeons, but it is my understanding that those playstyles necessitate certain armor and weapons. It’s also my understanding that, if one is to get Legendary gear, one MUST do at least one World Complete. Thus, if gear is important to you and if gear is a major motivator for you, yes, you must do World Complete.

Now, for me, personally, I couldn’t care less about Legendary. I don’t care one whit about gear or looks or whatever. As long as equipment covers the essential bits and allows me to progress through the game, I’m happy as a clam.

The reason I want(ed) to do World Complete is simple: I want(ed) to be able to say I did it. It’s the completionist in me. The mobs have proven to be no issue — I’ve managed to get to 80 on two different characters, even with what most people would consider lackluster gear. I enjoy(ed) adventuring and exploring. But those gawd-awful vistas (the ones that require jumping) have pretty much rendered the World Complete goal unreachable for me. It’s not because I can’t handle the mobs, it’s because of those bleepin’ jumps.

So, yes, no one has to do World Complete, but there are reasons why folks may want to. Either for Legendary or just to be able to say “I did it”.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Legendary is no better statwise than ascended, which merely requires a maxed crafting discipline.

Ascended itself is only a bare margin beter than exotic.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

How about Anet to give us free Legendaries as well hmm? I seriously find new generation gamers are totally lazy!

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

So same-/anyone want’s a character now and just instantly unlock everything?

Why do you refuse -to play- the game? Th game is a time sink. you want to spend time playing a game. If you do not want to spend time playing a game pls ask yourself if you shouldn’t be doing something else.

Having 9 full map completions and 15 total unlocks of heropoints and waypoints, I think I did a lot of exploring. just unlocking each waypoint and heropoint takes 20-40 minutes per map-segment (Queensdale can easily be completely fully completed within an hour (being somewhat longer then most other maps), but if you really just mindlessly set yourself to it , doing Hearts as well and PoI’s will make it 45-75 minutes a map with 1 or 2 exceptions.)

This will mean you need to experiment on which task gives you most gain, sometimes killing gives you + 1 or 2 % completion and a task fetching stuff 10 + % so you need either 50- 100 kills (easy during events for example or to run 10 boxes, well preferably outside events if only 10 or 15 spawns are available else you’ll be bound by respawns (generally 1.5-2 minutes.))

No star
No karma
No exp
No map completion goodies including gift of exploration

Fair enough imo if that’s what they want to to.

I do not mind the fog being lifted (-as an option- : I like the fog It shows I still need to discover…), BUT:
Implementation could be achieved:

• Optional (= very important) Lifting of Fog giving limited acces to each map segment. (like the starting WP’s for F2P people) You can see where everything is now.
  • DEFINATELY NO HERO POINTS This will unlock options way to fast
    -AND-
  • No star
  • No karma
  • No exp
  • No map completion goodies including gift of exploration

Maybe this would be a good start.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

This is the only thing preventing me from wanting to level alts.

I wish people would think about what they are asking for before they make a suggestion like this. Al. You really want is the way points unlocked right? Or is it every time you make a new character you get the rewards for map completion? Otherwise we will only ever get them once.

Now for the next thing, map completion rewards, we would lose these, also a compromised account would have access to the whole game, on every character that account has.

But the main reason this will never happen.

ANet want people in maps, and map completion is a sure fire way to keep all maps populated. With out it, the game would look a lot emptier.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Sir Alymer.3406

Sir Alymer.3406

I actually think a compromise would work rather well. The ‘fog’ is removed and replaced with a grayed out version of the map for all alternate characters when you reach 100% completion on one of them. You can see everything you haven’t discovered with no more stopping at scouts to find hearts. Your first time through has that blotched out, less-than-detailed fog, but your second time is replaced with a black and white filter over the map that gets ‘colored in’ as you discover the areas on the new character.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I actually think a compromise would work rather well. The ‘fog’ is removed and replaced with a grayed out version of the map for all alternate characters when you reach 100% completion on one of them. You can see everything you haven’t discovered with no more stopping at scouts to find hearts. Your first time through has that blotched out, less-than-detailed fog, but your second time is replaced with a black and white filter over the map that gets ‘colored in’ as you discover the areas on the new character.

This would be the best QoL change ever in regards to map completion.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

It’s actually pretty simple to unlock at least 80% of the WPs of a map: start somewhere, run a circle at the edge of the map, run to the center, wp to the nearest border to the next map you want to uncover.

Queensdale took me about 16 mins just now.

And 70-80% is usually more than enough, even if you won’t have that specific WP you might need in the future – they’re not that far apart.

Attachments:

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Yes to waypoints being account bound

Posted by: BlueFeather.9012

BlueFeather.9012

No, please. 7 chars with 100% map completion. Working on 8th.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

I know that feeling.

I have atm 5 characters, all with map completation ( when was about both world and wvw scenarios ). Also i have completed Personal Story I and II with all of em.

Map completation was fun, but i completed it cause i’d like to see complete maps ( kinda compulsive i suppose ).

Also, cause i have no legendaries, have 10 gift of the explorers.

Having the choise between “complete and earn rewards” or “complete with no rewards at all/Account map completation sharing for alts” would be a good thing for me ( but i know that ANET will never enable a similar choice ), but also i understand is that a problem of mine, so don’t have any complain about it ( now a friend get a precursor from Mystic Forge, and im gonna help him with map completation… with another chara ).

Well, this is my story.
Hope i’m going to get fixed soon…

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

This is the only thing preventing me from wanting to level alts.

Please yes.

I don’t want loot or rewards or a gold star. Just map access for my alts since I completed once on another toon.

ionix.9054

It’s actually pretty simple to unlock at least 80% of the WPs of a map: start somewhere, run a circle at the edge of the map, run to the center, wp to the nearest border to the next map you want to uncover.

Queensdale took me about 16 mins just now.

And 70-80% is usually more than enough, even if you won’t have that specific WP you might need in the future – they’re not that far apart.

It’s not a matter of simplicity. We all know how to do it. We just hate doing it. For us non explorers this is the worst.

(edited by ionix.9054)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

If you’re not an explorer, why do you need the maps open in the first place? What need to you have to have the maps opened up?

If you’re going to a zone with a friend to do something…use a teleport to friend. Or just run there once and OH look you have the waypoint now.

Maybe give the WvW hero point unlock thing another option to unlock waypoints in PvE too. Then you can WvW and get your waypoints open that way. If you’re a PvE player, just walk there once and you have it.

ionix.9054

If you’re not an explorer, why do you need the maps open in the first place? What need to you have to have the maps opened up?

If you’re going to a zone with a friend to do something…use a teleport to friend. Or just run there once and OH look you have the waypoint now.

Maybe give the WvW hero point unlock thing another option to unlock waypoints in PvE too. Then you can WvW and get your waypoints open that way. If you’re a PvE player, just walk there once and you have it.

Why? Guild missions, dungeons, world bosses and events to name the 4x that jump into my brain immediately.

I think teleport to a friend costs real life money right? It’s a gems tore purchase? No ty.
EDIT: Though if they gave mesmers a port to their location while not in pvp or wvw then Ill be happy with that

(edited by ionix.9054)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Why? Guild missions, dungeons, world bosses and events to name the 4x that jump into my brain immediately.

I think teleport to a friend costs real life money right? It’s a gems tore purchase? No ty.
EDIT: Though if they gave mesmers a port to their location while not in pvp or wvw then Ill be happy with that

I have tons of teleport to friend and never bought any (3rd birthday gift & from Black Lion Chests- keys from drops/story)

Still I don’t see the problem about running to a zone. It doesn’t take long and you can use the xp to help level the character or level masteries. If they did a waypoint unlock thing it’d have to be completely optional and a gold sink.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

This keeps coming up – Map Completion is something that is easy to do in Guild Wars 2 compared to Guild Wars 1 – especially now that the WvW maps have been taken out of it.

If something is worth having to you, it’s worth working for.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Jana.6831

It’s not a matter of simplicity. We all know how to do it. We just hate doing it. For us non explorers this is the worst.

I wrote this because people wanted a greyed out map to see the waypoints.

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

I’m in favor of account bound map completion, but only with certain limitations. I don’t want account bound map complete to remove the ability to actually manually complete maps on each character. I want the rewards (experience, loot, etc) to still be there for each character that actually completes a map. I don’t want the maps/zones revealed or way points given to new characters. What I do want is for the cumulative map complete percentage to be account bound. I want this because I find it incredibly boring to repeat map clears on each character, just for the sake of having each character show 100% map complete. I have multiple characters who have different maps cleared. Its not like I haven’t actually completed those maps….its just on different characters. That’s literally the one thing that is causing me not to have map complete….the complete lack of desire to re-do maps that I have already done. Just make the account percentage of map complete be what counts for map complete.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

If something is worth having to you, it’s worth working for.

That’s the thing though, they don’t want to work for it.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Jana.6831

I want this because I find it incredibly boring to repeat map clears on each character, just for the sake of having each character show 100% map complete. I have multiple characters who have different maps cleared. Its not like I haven’t actually completed those maps….its just on different characters. That’s literally the one thing that is causing me not to have map complete….

Then don’t do it – this game works without 100% map completion.

Posted by: Sirlath.1672

Sirlath.1672

Just let us have the option to transfer Map Completion over to alts, except for Hero points. That way anyone that doesn’t want account bound Map Completion doesn’t have to and anyone that wants it can have it. Done. That is the best way to handle this and it is doable, evident by the Map Completion on Beta Characters. Make us be able to buy a Scroll or something for 10.000 Karma maybe even, or make it a gold sink.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about 1000 gems and per char only.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Sirlath.1672

How about 1000 gems and per char only.

Hell even this works but there’s no reason not to include this. It’s not even pay to win, exclude Hero Points and don’t give any rewards for Completion except for the Completion itself, done.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

The reason I feel compelled to do map completion is because I, like some others, am a completionist. And it’s nice having all places mapped out without having to worry if you have it or not.

Otherwise if you don’t, you might feel as if you’re holding people back if they invite you to an event and you can’t get there instantly.

You might be able to find a closer WP to start from – that’s fine, but being given completion? No thank you, that only promotes laziness. There’s too much of it.

If you or someone doesn’t like doing it, we shouldn’t see anyone complaining about their characters only having 50% of the map or that they’re being nagged at for delaying time to get to a certain place.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Sirlath.1672

The reason I feel compelled to do map completion is because I, like some others, am a completionist. And it’s nice having all places mapped out without having to worry if you have it or not.

Otherwise if you don’t, you might feel as if you’re holding people back if they invite you to an event and you can’t get there instantly.

You might be able to find a closer WP to start from – that’s fine, but being given completion? No thank you, that only promotes laziness. There’s too much of it.

If you or someone doesn’t like doing it, we shouldn’t see anyone complaining about their characters only having 50% of the map or that they’re being nagged at for delaying time to get to a certain place.

And what would your argument be against optional account-bound Map Completion? How would that affect you or like-minded individuals in any way?

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

Map Comp is there for a reason, those that want a Legendary need to 100% and i think it should be like that forever, also they made it easier by removing WvW, no one is forcing ya to do it…

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Map Comp is there for a reason, those that want a Legendary need to 100% and i think it should be like that forever, also they made it easier by removing WvW, no one is forcing ya to do it…

The reason is Gift of the Explorer is account bound.

I know ppl can buy the final item ( legendary ) but let us trade everything would be nice :p

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

And what would your argument be against optional account-bound Map Completion? How would that affect you or like-minded individuals in any way?

Completely against it. It’s fine as it is now, and much simpler without wvw. To me, even having wvw was a sort of ‘gate’ because you had people purposely trying to grief people trying to complete their maps.

Now that it’s out of the way, there should be no or little reason people should be complaining ’it’s too hard or takes too long’. Because guess what, nothing ever means much if you don’t put effort into it. Regardless if it’s repetitive. And you can at least say you have the patience for it.

So yea, nothing could convince me to accept something like this. Same could be said for irl, taking shortcuts makes you complacent.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Sirlath.1672

Completely against it. It’s fine as it is now, and much simpler without wvw. To me, even having wvw was a sort of ‘gate’ because you had people purposely trying to grief people trying to complete their maps.

Now that it’s out of the way, there should be no or little reason people should be complaining ’it’s too hard or takes too long’. Because guess what, nothing ever means much if you don’t put effort into it. Regardless if it’s repetitive. And you can at least say you have the patience for it.

So yea, nothing could convince me to accept something like this. Same could be said for irl, taking shortcuts makes you complacent.

But you don’t have to accept anything if it’s optional. You wouldn’t even be affected by it in any way. People that have done Map Completion 5 times already and make a new alt just want everything unlocked for convenience. There is no way you can argue against optional account bound Map Completion.

Posted by: Arvizal.8436

Arvizal.8436

Why would you ever do that? That’s crazy. Some people want more than 2 tier 1 legendaries, you know.

Thief main since launch! – Ded Pixel – Maguuma – [SAS]

Sirlath.1672

Why would you ever do that? That’s crazy. Some people want more than 2 tier 1 legendaries, you know.

And what if it’s optional on a character by character basis?

ODB.6891

I want this because I find it incredibly boring to repeat map clears on each character, just for the sake of having each character show 100% map complete. I have multiple characters who have different maps cleared. Its not like I haven’t actually completed those maps….its just on different characters. That’s literally the one thing that is causing me not to have map complete….

Then don’t do it – this game works without 100% map completion.

When there are things that depend on 100% map completion…then “not doing it” is a penalty that is unnecessary. I would reply to you in the same ignorant fashion….whatever thing it is that could be improved in the game…just don’t do it and ignore it. That sounds just as ignorant coming from me as it did from you. The game “works without” a lot of things. That doesn’t mean those things can’t do with a reasonable improvement. That also doesn’t mean that anyone suggesting such an improvement (that has zero negative effect on anything and anyone in the game) needs commentary that adds nothing to the discussion.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Throughout the entirety of human history we have been looking for ways to do things better and faster. Also, we’re talking about a video game. This is fundamentally the opposite of being productive.

I can kind of respect your view, and that of others who think some things need to be earned in a game…but there is no objective, inherent value in taking hours of your time to hoof it around a map once so that you can conveniently teleport around the next time you visit.

Jana.6831

When there are things that depend on 100% map completion…then “not doing it” is a penalty that is unnecessary.

The only thing you miss out on by not doing 100 % map completion is the Gift of Exploration and I’d like that to have a value.
Don’t call me ignorant because you want everything for free.

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

When there are things that depend on 100% map completion…then “not doing it” is a penalty that is unnecessary.

The only thing you miss out on by not doing 100 % map completion is the Gift of Exploration and I’d like that to have a value.

I already said I don’t need the gift. I am willing to opt out of the gift, the star, everything. Heck, I just want the option to unlock all waypoints.

Jana.6831

I already said I don’t need the gift. I am willing to opt out of the gift, the star, everything. Heck, I just want the option to unlock all waypoints.

Problem with that is that anet listens to this.
At first we had threads “remove wvw map completion” now “remove map completion” – you will get it eventually if you whine long enough.
Personally I think it’s dumbing down the game even more, but maybe that’s just me.

ODB.6891

How is it free when I’ve already completed those maps at least once? Check the definition of free maybe? You may want to check the definition of everything while you are at it, because that is one thing. In fact, if you are having this much trouble with definitions…you may want to just buy yourself a dictionary lol.

Posted by: BrandonBandicoot.3968

BrandonBandicoot.3968

I’d be happy if at least all the waypoints you unlock are account bound. I don’t mind having to do the actual content itself again.

Jana.6831

How is it free when I’ve already completed those maps at least once? Check the definition of free maybe? You may want to check the definition of everything while you are at it, because that is one thing. In fact, if you are having this much trouble with definitions…you may want to just buy yourself a dictionary lol.

“I demand to take this pint of milk home as I have already bought one last week!!”

Sirlath.1672

“I demand to take this pint of milk home as I have already bought one last week!!”

That is a bad analogy. It’s more like: “I have already written this exam, why do I need to write it again to get the same Degree?”.

Jana.6831

That is a bad analogy. It’s more like: “I have already written this exam, why do I need to write it again to get the same Degree?”.

Because you get something for it – that’s the point.
None of your characters needs 100% map completion, you might want to have all waypoints, you might need all hero points (with HoT), but you don’t need 100% map completion, unless you want to craft a legendary.

Sirlath.1672

Because you get something for it – that’s the point.
None of your characters needs 100% map completion, you might want to have all waypoints, you might need all hero points (with HoT), but you don’t need 100% map completion, unless you want to craft a legendary.

Well you’d just not get a Gift of Exploration if you choose to transfer Map Completion to an alt. As on your other point, it would be a feature added for convenience, which there is a ton of in the game. I don’t think it would take any effort to implement either. So why not add it if it’s optional? If you enjoy Map Completion so much then you wouldn’t have to transfer Map Completion, if you don’t then you could.

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

I work full time and can only play 2-3 hours a night.

30 minutes of map comp, rest of the time spent in fractals (or doing whatever it is you like doing in this game.) I’ve done map completion 10 times with this schedule, despite the fact that I hate map completion with a burning passion. Nut up and get it done or live without it.

Honest question: why do you guys argue about/discuss changes like this, that any rational person can surmise will never, ever happen….ever?

Zelendel

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Just for the record, I am not opposed to a Gem Store item that will unlock all waypoints for a character when used. Price point around 1k gems seems reasonable to me.

One for the whole account could also work if it was priced at something ludicrous (10k gems?)

Also for the record, I would never buy this item as I prefer to complete the maps and get rewards.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Sirlath.1672

I work full time and can only play 2-3 hours a night.

30 minutes of map comp, rest of the time spent in fractals (or doing whatever it is you like doing in this game.) I’ve done map completion 10 times with this schedule, despite the fact that I hate map completion with a burning passion. Nut up and get it done or live without it.

Honest question: why do you guys argue about/discuss changes like this, that any rational person can surmise will never, ever happen….ever?

It doesn’t matter what you like to do. Because you enjoy it, everyone has to? No. It could be optional and you’d not have to do it, others could if they want, done. You can not counter this with any argument, period.

And how do you know it won’t ever happen, are you the CEO of ArenaNet?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I totally get why people want this. 100% map completion is a huge undertaking, but I’m in the camp with those that don’t want this. I like to make alts and having the maps to complete gives me something to do with them while leveling them.

Also, map completions and their associated hearts gives me a steady income while leveling because I get tons of mats from the killing and the completions themselves that I can sell for gold.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I do love ready through threads like this, with people expecting ANet to be able to do it with ease. Not to mention people don’t want to work for anything anymore. Just want it handed to them.

So it’s stopping you from leveling alts, that’s your problem, and yours alone. You don’t want to do it, but you want all the benefits that come with it. Again your problem.

There are lots of things I don’t want to do in this game. But I do them as that is how it’s designed to work. At the end of the day there will always be something we as players don’t like, but you can’t make everyone happy.

Sure people don’t want the rewards now, but what about down the line, ANet could add something that might require map completion. Then we’ll get QQ ANet I need my map completion back, QQ.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Sirlath.1672

I do love ready through threads like this, with people expecting ANet to be able to do it with ease. Not to mention people don’t want to work for anything anymore. Just want it handed to them.

You say People who have done 100% Map Completion like 5 times don’t want to work for anything? Are you serious? How often have you done it? Sob off with that old man MMO player attitude. By the way it would be easy, Beta Characters had full Map Completion except for hearts. Your point again?

So it’s stopping you from leveling alts, that’s your problem, and yours alone. You don’t want to do it, but you want all the benefits that come with it. Again your problem.

Of course it’s my problem, not yours. So? You think only your problems and views matter?

There are lots of things I don’t want to do in this game. But I do them as that is how it’s designed to work. At the end of the day there will always be something we as players don’t like, but you can’t make everyone happy.

Well you are aware that designs can change, especially when they become obsolete for veteran players. And you can kitten well try to make everyone happy.

Sure people don’t want the rewards now, but what about down the line, ANet could add something that might require map completion. Then we’ll get QQ ANet I need my map completion back, QQ.

Why would they add something to an old, obsolete aspect of the Game? Also if it’s an optional unlock on character by character basis, the QQ aspect is eliminated. Easy.

Jana.6831

You say People who have done 100% Map Completion like 5 times don’t want to work for anything? Are you serious? How often have you done it?

8 times and I don’t want as many legendaries nor do I have/want/need 100% on all my characters as I’m effectively only playing one.