Please Remove Daily/Monthly AP Cap

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve only seen one argument that’s affected my opinion:

• AP chests are loyalty rewards.
  • A permanent cap on dailies limits the rewards of those who who demonstrate their loyalty by playing every day.

I disagree, because they implemented “loyalty chests” as the 30-day login reward. AP chests are supposed to be rewards for achieving the most in game. Daily achievements are anything but.

There is not a single “Achievement” available in the game that passes for a real achievement. A more accurate name for AP would be “Doing-Stuff Points.” The points simply serve the purpose of adding to the list of things to do that makes up an MMO. Some points are just more tedious to get than others.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You can earn 15k daily AP, for a new players that’s 4 years playing, for people who played from the start its less, as dailies where worth 5AP for each daily in the early game, so what Anet is saying really is enjoy the game for 4 years new players then we cut your progression..

This is a little misleading. The old dailies awarded 1 point each, with 10 to choose from (iirc it was 6 PvE, 2 PvP and 2 WvW).

That was later. Originally they were worth 5 ap per one daily achievement (though there was a smaller number of them to pick from).

I don’t understand how so many people are capped. Like 15000/10/365 means you need to do the daily 365 days a year for over 4 years???

How are there that many people completely dedicated to logging in every day? I mean this game is only about 4 years old right? It’s crazy.

Originally you could get way more than 10 AP per day, and there were monthly achievements and seasonal dailies on top of that.

3 shards is a lot.

What about newer players who need to catch up.

They never will catch up anyway. Not as long as we’ll keep getting time-limited achievements.

I actually have to agree with Malediktus, remove the points altogether and double the permanent ones we earned/can earn, and seriously look at the latest and further achievements award points. It would completely solve this non issue.

Agreed, but again I’m trying to be realistic. I can also already hear the backlash. After all, if this is done, what about the new players who didn’t get this opportunity to gain those now defunct AP and are ‘trying to catch up.’

Can’t have it both ways.

Malediktus has said clearly several times in the past that he wants to have an advantage no new players will ever be able to surpass. Thus, he’s consistently supporting any idea that would increase the gap between current AP leaderboard leaders and everyone else. Removing AP from dailies and doubling all the rest would definitely do exactly that.

It has nothing to do with people “catching up”. ANet introduced the cap because a small minority of AP hunters were complaining about being “forced” to login every day and do dailies to keep their spots on the AP leaderboards, and apparently this was too stressful for them to handle.

Which argument no longer applies. The problem then was that the AP hunters felt the need to do every possible daily to get the maximum daily AP reward. Now they don’t need to, it’s enough to do only 3 of them. It’s just that Anet didn’t reverse the caps when they later introduced a far better solution to that problem.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think that’s a bit misleading. The cap changed to 15,000 when Monthly APs and Daily APs were combined to count towards the cap.

Posted by: Rhapsedy.1569

Rhapsedy.1569

Did they or did they not increase the cap by 5000 points? Misleading or not. It happened.

Sahalla Sylvermyst – Ranger – Most nerfed class in GW2

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would hope they did. Otherwise when they combined Monthly APs with Daily APs, many players would have reached the cap long before they did/will.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Did they or did they not increase the cap by 5000 points? Misleading or not. It happened.

They did not increase the cap of “daily”. There was a cap on just “dailies” and another on just “monthlies”; neither of those caps exist any longer in any meaningful way.

The current 15k cap is for the combination of of dailies + monthlies, not for one or the other and it has always been 15k.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

After some discussion in Bloodstone Fen tonight, I also discovered I’m capped as well. And I thought, “Other than the two gold and middling gift, what’s the point of doing dailies anymore?”

If the primary rewards an activity don’t interest you, then naturally it is pointless beyond the quality of the activity itself. Doesn’t mean it’s pointless for everyone. Just don’t do them.

The rewards from dailies far outstrip the effort required to complete them. If you’re so established that 2g a day for 15 minutes of effort is still not good enough for you, then give yourself a good pat on the back, for you are very well accomplished in the game.

I think the writ of experience from most dailies is completely worthless because I have level 80 of each class and it does nothing but provide an eyesore. Doesn’t mean the game needs to be changed to suit my needs.

Dailies already represent a disproportionate part of all AP. I think that makes it a complete joke because it doesn’t really measure any degree of accomplishment in the game. Ironically, this is probably my best argument for increasing the cap.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

I have to wonder how many people this the cap even affects. If I’m not mistaken, a person has to have been playing at least 3 or 4 years before they could possibly hit it. Just looking at two guilds I’m in: only 15/212 and 66/250 people even have over 15000AP total, and certainly not all of that is from dailies.

Personally, I’m happy to view the daily AP cap just like any other long term achievement. Weapon Master, Slayer, PvP, WvW… there’s numerous ones that take a long time but eventually stop.

And honestly I’m looking forward to hitting the cap because it means I don’t have to “worry” about daily AP anymore. I can choose to not even log in and it’s no loss. I would find it kinda annoying if there wasn’t a cap, because then any time I missed a day of playing would be an unrecoverable loss of that AP.

I suspect this is all moot though. I don’t expect ANet to bother changing the cap just because a handful of people are agitated on these forums.

And beyond that, let’s imagine if ANet reversed their decision and lifted the cap. What then happens for the people who have been capped for weeks/months/year/whatever. Should they be compensated for the AP there were denied during the time the cap existed? Maybe… except that I doubt ANet tracks the date when a person hits the cap so there would be no way for they to apply anything retroactively. So instead of getting into that mess, it’s perhaps easier for them just to leave the cap alone.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Agreed. I’m surprised at some of the responses here and elsewhere. The argument is basically, “Let others catch up while you get nothing.”

That seems rather one-sided. But let’s go with that. When will ‘everyone’ catch up? When can we then raise the bar as far as the cap?

Except that you still get 2 gold and 3 spirit shards for doing your dailies, among either karma, mats, PvP/WvW reward track potions. You aren’t getting nothing if you have maxed your daily AP. You are still getting quite a lot from them.

Don’t cherry pick. That has nothing to do with this discussion. We’re talking about AP. They can keep all the gold and spirit shards involved. That’s not the point of this thread. Nor the point of progressing your achievement tab.

Your example has nothing to do with what you quoted. Nothing to do with the cap. And nothing to do with this ‘waiting for everyone to catch up’ excuse.

You’re the one cherrypicking here. You claim that the argument is “Let others catch up while you get nothing.”, which is simply not true.

Just because you are not getting AP from the dailies anymore does not mean you are getting nothing from them. You can’t claim that you get nothing from them, as that is cherrypicking and borderline pedantic. Using your arguments, I should be compensated extra for doing more than 3 dailies each day because I’m “getting nothing” for the extra dailies I do.

Dailies reward everyone, you can’t justifiably deny that. And besides, its not like a newer player is going to catch up to the people who have maxed out their AP from dailies anyway, its just not going to happen, even if ANet just maxed out the daily AP for everyone, these players missed out on all of the extremely generous AP from season 1 releases. They are never going to come close to you.

Let’s make this simple. I am AP capped for my daily AP. You are not.

I log in.
You log in.
I get nothing.
You get something.
We both did the same thing – I did it for longer and am still doing it now yet I’m no longer rewarded for it.
Why?

Cause you’ve been successfully conditioned to login and do dailies. You don’t need that food pellet anymore, you just tap that little buzzer to your heart’s content.

I don’t do dailies for the AP, I do them simply to do something. I do them for the 3 shards that I then use to promote mats for profit. I do them for the token karma or reward track bonus. I certainly don’t do them just to have a big number or the fugly weapon and armor skin. I’m surprised when I get a chest cause I’m not playing for the AP total.

The 2 gold now is a nice bonus I wish they started years ago but I tend to give half of that away to friendly mesmers on days when I finally get frustrated by a JP and take the shortcut they offer.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I hit my AP cap a while back. I’d also prefer the daily cap to be lifted, but either way, I’m not that stressed about it. 10 minutes work for 2 gold and 3 spirit shards is worth it anyway.

However at 30k plus achievement points, the achievements I have left to do are generally a lot tougher and more annoying, so I tend not to do them. I’m not really thinking that I’ll ever get giant slayer or shield killer.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

It’s not about “catching up” at all. It’s about putting a cap on what are the easiest points to obtain in the game. You can’t daily your way to account bound rewards/bonuses, you should have to play the game, actually invest your time in it, to be rewarded. Of course it’s going to have a cap, and I think it should remain as it is.

Except the rewards are there and there aren’t really enough APs to get them.

And you blame the Daily AP cap instead of the imbalance of achievement points of what is currently obtainable, in comparison to what we used to earn for similar meta achievements?

Daily AP cap is something that they can easily “do” for us. So there is some hope that if there is enough outcry we might have it removed.

The imbalance of achievement points of what is currently obtainable in comparison to what we used to earn way back when is something that would require a lot of effort to reword.
They’d have to go back and look at all the AP rewards and rebalance that. Let’s not kid ourselves – Anet won’t. Because of outcry – and most likely because they don’t have the manpower to do it.

This is the company that cancelled it’s own legendary weapons because of lack of manpower. You’re just daydreaming if you think they’ll go back to rebalance AP just for the sake of a few of us on the forums. We’re not worth that much time.

We have to ask for simple and easy to do solutions. It’s the only ones we have a chance of getting.

It’s more about asking Anet to design new achievements with the new maps, both PvE and PvP, in the future to award achievement points like they used to (They design a point reward system, then not only remove a lot of achievements as content was never permanent, but then replace achievements not only at a slower rate, but with less AP to boot.) Use meta achievements like they’ve done with The Shatterer, Tequatl and Triple-Headed Wurm, instead of 1APs and 3APs here and there for collections and Personal story, not even being consistent about it.
For example, you get the same AP if you craft two of the same legendary, as if you craft 5 unique legendaries. For completing Triple Trouble achievement in total you get 135AP, for completing The Shatterer achievement you get 110AP, and I actually think the Shatterer achievement takes longer to complete due to it’s requirements. Plus lots of other examples I could dig up but I’m on mobile right now.

All in all, I really hope these new maps are going to have some good AP tied into them, both repeatable (with the new repeatable Hearts they’re adding) and one time only that award a consistent amount compared to previous achievements before Heart of Thorns.

So yeah the daily AP cap isn’t about catching up, it’s about not having a source of infinite AP, just like every other achievement is capped.
I do wonder how many would bother to complain if the daily points were displayed in the Hero tab instead, with 15,000 tiers awarding 10AP each tier, so you knew it had a cap. Instead of as it is now upon hovering over the achievement points total.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

It’s not about “catching up” at all. It’s about putting a cap on what are the easiest points to obtain in the game. You can’t daily your way to account bound rewards/bonuses, you should have to play the game, actually invest your time in it, to be rewarded. Of course it’s going to have a cap, and I think it should remain as it is.

When I think of people who haven’t invested in the game, I definitely think of people who’ve been playing long enough to have hit the daily cap.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

When I think of people who haven’t invested in the game, I definitely think of people who’ve been playing long enough to have hit the daily cap.

If that’s all they’ve done, pretty much. If you only log in for the daily, but don’t do anything else, why should you continually be rewarded for it in terms of points? I play the game for more than just the daily, I don’t get a point reward for salvaging anymore, or running fractals or dungeons anymore, for completing hearts or events anymore. But people still want a point reward to infinity for logging in for 5mins? That’s not really loyalty. Loyalty would be sticking around to play no matter if there was a point reward or not, not just for your daily.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Astralporing.1957

The cap used to be 10,000 AP.

No. It was always at 15k total since it got introduced. It’s just originally it was split 10k-5k between the dailies and monthlies. When dailies and monthlies got combined into one, the cap got combined as well, but the totals didn’t change.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I remember the days it took an hour or more to get 12 AP for a day. It was required to do WvW daily, pvp daily and all pve dailies to get those points and now you get 10 AP in about 10 minutes, plus spirit shards, plus 2 gold, plus specific daily rewards from each one, like materials, track potions etc.

You get ALL these in 10 minutes and you complain about the AP.

Astralporing.1957

I remember the days it took an hour or more to get 12 AP for a day. It was required to do WvW daily, pvp daily and all pve dailies to get those points and now you get 10 AP in about 10 minutes, plus spirit shards, plus 2 gold, plus specific daily rewards from each one, like materials, track potions etc.

Ah, but i don’t get 10 ap now.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The daily cap is to help all players have the same feeling of progression. It’s balanced so that new players can have a chance to reach veteran players’ AP totals. Without the cap, veteran players would have an unfair advantage from starting earlier than new players.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The daily cap is to help all players have the same feeling of progression. It’s balanced so that new players can have a chance to reach veteran players’ AP totals. Without the cap, veteran players would have an unfair advantage from starting earlier than new players.

Really? How can new players ever reach veteran players’ AP totals with no access to LWS1 or the previous Festival Achievements? The only way this would happen is if veteran players, after reaching the cap, stopped playing. Fifteen thousand APs minus (whatever amount of) Season One and Festival APs will never equal 15,000 plus Season One and Festival APs.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Anet said a couple years back that they were thinking about ways to sell LWS1 in the Gem Store, but they’re busy with making new content. Something about a problem with how S1 was programmed that doesn’t work like S2 and on.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Can we cap the max gold? I can’t catch up with the big players

I think the AP cap has no logic at all.

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

maddoctor.2738

Would you be willing to make a choice between the AP and the rest of the rewards?

So a choice between:
a) 10 AP or b) 2g, plus progress in the daily login reward plus all extra daily rewards
Which one is better?

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

Can we cap the max gold? I can’t catch up with the big players

Gold isn’t time gated though, you can grind it as much as you want. If dailies were repeatable as much as you want, whenever you want, then it would be the same.

Lyp Sao.1375

Can we cap the max gold Lump of Mithrillium? I can’t catch up with the big older players

Gold isn’t time gated though, you can grind it as much as you want. If dailies were repeatable as much as you want, whenever you want, then it would be the same.

That way?

Fight the queens

maddoctor.2738

Can we cap the max gold Lump of Mithrillium? I can’t catch up with the big older players

That way?

You cannot spend AP so it’s not the same.

Now if you would need to SPEND your AP to get any of the achievement rewards, or add a way to lose AP over time (at least the daily AP) that would be a different story.

Lyp Sao.1375

Now if you would need to SPEND your AP to get any of the achievement rewards, or add a way to lose AP over time (at least the daily AP) that would be a different story.

Then it is not even important. Player A = 10000 APs / Player B = 20000 APs. Who cares?

Fight the queens

maddoctor.2738

Then it is not even important. Player A = 10000 APs / Player B = 20000 APs. Who cares?

Those who want the cap to be removed?

Lyp Sao.1375

Those who want the cap to be removed?

bu but I need my login bait

Fight the queens

Posted by: Fowidner.6930

Fowidner.6930

Dont raise it , it was a big releave when i did finally reach the cap. I dont feel the need to log in every day now. So I could skip a day of playing gw. I think this is a nice amount to have a cap.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

Dont raise it , it was a big releave when i did finally reach the cap. I dont feel the need to log in every day now. So I could skip a day of playing gw. I think this is a nice amount to have a cap.

and this is one of the arguments against the cap. It provides a reason not to log in for a game that needs the log in numbers for various reasons.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

If you are still complaining about being handed 2 gold and 3 spirit shards every day then I don’t know what else to tell you. You keep acting as if you are getting nothing for doing the dailies because you have hit the AP cap, which is an outright lie. You are still getting 2 gold, 3 spirit shards, karma, PvP/WvW reward track progression. You are hardly getting nothing. And until you stop pretending as if you are getting nothing I really have trouble taking your arguments seriously.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

The thing is more about wether AP is a feature aimed at completionists or a daily reward track. If there’s no daily AP cap, then there are a lot of collections and different permanenet achievements which are not worth the effort AP wise.

I agree that this is one question. There is also a finite number of achievement awards. Assuming the game goes on for a number of years from now (knock on wood), there will be more achievements added with new content.

I personally think that the Dailies give too many AP. They should have given less AP (1 or 2) which would then stretch out for longer.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I disagree with this suggestion.
If anything daily/monthly AP should be deleted completly and the AP from permanent achievements doubled to make up for it.

I still do dailies because the 2 gold and 3 skillpoints are worth the tiny time investment.

If anything, the unattainable AP from prior events shouldn’t count. Make them like Feats of Strength in WoW after they can’t be completed. Season 1 was just AP bloat anyway.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The cap should either stay where it is, or increase proportionally to match the AP of discontinued achievements. Simply put, AP from discontinued achievs should count as daily AP.

Best idea I’ve heard on the topic!
Someone copypaste this to reddit so the devs’ll see it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

If you are still complaining about being handed 2 gold and 3 spirit shards every day then I don’t know what else to tell you. You keep acting as if you are getting nothing for doing the dailies because you have hit the AP cap, which is an outright lie. You are still getting 2 gold, 3 spirit shards, karma, PvP/WvW reward track progression. You are hardly getting nothing. And until you stop pretending as if you are getting nothing I really have trouble taking your arguments seriously.

Who cares about 2g when you can get it just for same 5m, simply by jumping to current farm map? How about AP rewards? You know, 30k+, 36k+. There is no sane way to farm them anymore. This is same level of bullkitten as old WvW titles, grossly overstretched requirements for no purpose.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The fact that we have the 30-day login reward does not invalidate the daily AP and AP milestones as loyalty rewards.
The game has more than ONE loyalty reward system.

It has two
One rewards you for just logging in – and it does that by giving you your daily log-in chest.
One rewards you for logging in and doing some stuff – and it does that by giving you 10 AP – 2 gold and some spirit shards.

They are working together as a tiered system. You show up – you get this. You do some more stuff – you get more.

Tarir multiloot rewards you for logging in and doing some stuff, should that have an infinitely repeatable achievement with uncapped AP? What about raids? I could see removing the AP cap from dailies if everything that’s repeatable got the cap removed (even if the AP competitors have collective heart attacks and give up), but it should be all-or-nothing, and dailies should then give the least amount of AP relative other repeatables.

Everything that is time-gated and only gives rewards ONCE per day can have an infintely repeatable achievement with uncapped AP.
I’m not saying it should – i’m saying that it can be done because it will keep people logging in and Anet wants that.

I’m saying remove the cap but keep the time gate. That way it serves both us and Anet.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

Agreed. I’m surprised at some of the responses here and elsewhere. The argument is basically, “Let others catch up while you get nothing.”

That seems rather one-sided. But let’s go with that. When will ‘everyone’ catch up? When can we then raise the bar as far as the cap?

Except that you still get 2 gold and 3 spirit shards for doing your dailies, among either karma, mats, PvP/WvW reward track potions. You aren’t getting nothing if you have maxed your daily AP. You are still getting quite a lot from them.

Don’t cherry pick. That has nothing to do with this discussion. We’re talking about AP. They can keep all the gold and spirit shards involved. That’s not the point of this thread. Nor the point of progressing your achievement tab.

Your example has nothing to do with what you quoted. Nothing to do with the cap. And nothing to do with this ‘waiting for everyone to catch up’ excuse.

You’re the one cherrypicking here. You claim that the argument is “Let others catch up while you get nothing.”, which is simply not true.

Just because you are not getting AP from the dailies anymore does not mean you are getting nothing from them. You can’t claim that you get nothing from them, as that is cherrypicking and borderline pedantic. Using your arguments, I should be compensated extra for doing more than 3 dailies each day because I’m “getting nothing” for the extra dailies I do.

Dailies reward everyone, you can’t justifiably deny that. And besides, its not like a newer player is going to catch up to the people who have maxed out their AP from dailies anyway, its just not going to happen, even if ANet just maxed out the daily AP for everyone, these players missed out on all of the extremely generous AP from season 1 releases. They are never going to come close to you.

I log in.
You log in.
I get nothing.
You get something.
We both did the same thing – I did it for longer and am still doing it now yet I’m no longer rewarded for it.
Why?

Cause you’ve been successfully conditioned to login and do dailies. You don’t need that food pellet anymore, you just tap that little buzzer to your heart’s content.

I don’t do dailies for the AP, I do them simply to do something. I do them for the 3 shards that I then use to promote mats for profit. I do them for the token karma or reward track bonus. I certainly don’t do them just to have a big number or the fugly weapon and armor skin. I’m surprised when I get a chest cause I’m not playing for the AP total.

The 2 gold now is a nice bonus I wish they started years ago but I tend to give half of that away to friendly mesmers on days when I finally get frustrated by a JP and take the shortcut they offer.

No I haven’t.
I don’t log in because of dailies – I log in because of rewards. You stop givine me rewards and I will stop logging in.

If my daily log-in AP and rewards go away – so might my log-ins.
This is an MMO – i am kept here and still play because of a sense of progression. The less I progress the less I feel inclined to play.

To put it simply – no food pellet – no monkey button press. You might have been conditioned to do dailies “just to do something” but I and a lot of the people I know do them exclusively because of the rewards. Rewards go? I stop.

Do I still do dungeons? Not really – ever since the rewards got nerfed first.
Do I Still do EOTM? Not really – since the rewards got nerfed.
I play for rewards – no rewards? No play.

I certainly don’t do them just to have a big number or the fugly weapon and armor skin.

I agree – the weapons are bad and armor is ugly but the radiant back piece is the best looking back piece in this game.

I’m surprised when I get a chest cause I’m not playing for the AP total.

Congratulations – they’ve almost conditioned you to play for free.

When they started this I started doing dailies on my second account. More reward = more play.

Harper.4173

It’s more about asking Anet to design new achievements with the new maps, both PvE and PvP, in the future to award achievement points like they used to (They design a point reward system, then not only remove a lot of achievements as content was never permanent, but then replace achievements not only at a slower rate, but with less AP to boot.) Use meta achievements like they’ve done with The Shatterer, Tequatl and Triple-Headed Wurm, instead of 1APs and 3APs here and there for collections and Personal story, not even being consistent about it.
For example, you get the same AP if you craft two of the same legendary, as if you craft 5 unique legendaries. For completing Triple Trouble achievement in total you get 135AP, for completing The Shatterer achievement you get 110AP, and I actually think the Shatterer achievement takes longer to complete due to it’s requirements. Plus lots of other examples I could dig up but I’m on mobile right now.
All in all, I really hope these new maps are going to have some good AP tied into them, both repeatable (with the new repeatable Hearts they’re adding) and one time only that award a consistent amount compared to previous achievements before Heart of Thorns.
So yeah the daily AP cap isn’t about catching up, it’s about not having a source of infinite AP, just like every other achievement is capped.
I do wonder how many would bother to complain if the daily points were displayed in the Hero tab instead, with 15,000 tiers awarding 10AP each tier, so you knew it had a cap. Instead of as it is now upon hovering over the achievement points total.

Yeah – I addressed this before.
New AP tied to new maps in both PvP and PvE is not really a solution because they are so slow at producing content that it doesn’t really matter. Look at how slowly content comes into this game.

I can get more AP from daily log-ins between Living world episodes than from the living world episode itself.

I believe there should be an infinite source of AP coming into the game because at the rate AP is coming in we might never see the chance to get those high-tier AP rewards simply because GW2 might well be dead by then.

I would agree with yon on paper – but given the content drought and their incapacity to put out enough content – I’d rather take log-in AP than no AP.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I’ve been playing from the headstart, between my headstart and now I’ve quit and come back several times. I don’t even bother with my dailies half the time anymore. Assuming I did though and I did them every day I’d still take a year and a half for my cap… Who cares, it doesn’t even matter. AP isn’t that important and if you’re not capped yet you have a long way to go to be capped. So I don’t really see a reason for the cap to exist, it only serves to make the veteran players less incentivized to log in and play.

Posted by: ZombieLeach.5862

ZombieLeach.5862

I still say that Anet should just make the cap an achievement and put a title with it. Something like, “Daily Master” or “Dedicated Logger.”

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

You’re looking at it wrong.

The ap cap isn’t a catch up method, it’s a slow down method to consistent players. It allows anet to not worry about ap rewards constantly since once someone hits the daily cap, their progress along that line will slow dramatically.

It just allows anet to have more time when deciding on rewards further down the line for AP, and put developer time elsewhere.

Cause once someone gets all the skins, they’re gonna have to find better rewards.

Chad.6104

One thing I’ve been wondering about. I get most of my mystic forge stones from the achievement chests. If you’ve been capped for some time do you run out of the mf stones and can’t make the mystic salvage kits or do you get enough from other sources?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

One thing I’ve been wondering about. I get most of my mystic forge stones from the achievement chests. If you’ve been capped for some time do you run out of the mf stones and can’t make the mystic salvage kits or do you get enough from other sources?

If you run out, buy from bltc

Chad.6104

If you run out, buy from bltc

That’s what I figured. If you’re capped it becomes a gemstore thing instead of a free thing.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No I haven’t.
I don’t log in because of dailies – I log in because of rewards. You stop givine me rewards and I will stop logging in.

This is an MMO – i am kept here and still play because of a sense of progression. The less I progress the less I feel inclined to play.

But AP is such a worthless reward. It’s only use is to wave it in another player’s face. Sure you get the occasional AP chest, now. As an aside, at the start we didn’t even get chests. But dailies now give 2 gold which is much more useful so there’s your reward, even if you don’t like the token daily chest items or spirit shards.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

and this is one of the arguments against the cap. It provides a reason not to log in for a game that needs the log in numbers for various reasons.

Monthly subscriptions fill that same hole, but nobody seems to be arguing for that.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

Chad.6104

Monthly subscriptions fill that same hole, but nobody seems to be arguing for that.

Not really. Monthly subscriptions will encourage people to log in during that month but actively stops people from casually logging in if they’ve stopped the subscription. AP caps can act as a discouragement to some people but it doesn’t block them from logging in like a cancelled subscription does.

(edited by Chad.6104)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Anet said a couple years back that they were thinking about ways to sell LWS1 in the Gem Store, but they’re busy with making new content. Something about a problem with how S1 was programmed that doesn’t work like S2 and on.

I know you are familiar with the forums, and thus, Dev responses. I’m sure we can expect LWS1 to be available sometime after new Legendaries.

In the meantime, again X + (y – y) will never equal X + y.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I like the Daily/Monthly AP Cap and would prefer it to stay.

The PvP reward pots alone are good enough incentive, those things are amazing. Like the 50 Free Bloodstone Rubies for a few minutes of effort every day to fill the track is practically overkill. I’ve gotten 150 total so far just from dailies.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I log in.
You log in.
I get nothing.
You get something.
Why?

No I haven’t.

To put it simply – no food pellet – no monkey button press. You might have been conditioned to do dailies “just to do something” but I and a lot of the people I know do them exclusively because of the rewards. Rewards go? I stop.

Do I still do dungeons? Not really – ever since the rewards got nerfed first.
Do I Still do EOTM? Not really – since the rewards got nerfed.
I play for rewards – no rewards? No play.

I certainly don’t do them just to have a big number or the fugly weapon and armor skin.

I agree – the weapons are bad and armor is ugly but the radiant back piece is the best looking back piece in this game.

I’m surprised when I get a chest cause I’m not playing for the AP total.

Congratulations – they’ve almost conditioned you to play for free.

When they started this I started doing dailies on my second account. More reward = more play.

If the gameplay has devolved to where 99% of the game is no longer worth playing beyond login and daily rewards, then I think it’s time to find a new game.

I mean, if most of the game doesn’t even matter to you, then there really is no point bothering to cater a reward system to your needs.

Honestly, I don’t see an argument for lifting the cap beyond you wanting more AP.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

Personal opinion follows:

If you are logging on just for daily AP, stop. You are no longer enjoying the game, you are doing it as a grind, burning yourself out even farther. Take a break for half a year. Come back then and replay the old content which you are no longer dead tired of as well as the new content that will be released in that time.

ANet would benefit as well – a burned out person who is logging on just for daily rewards is unlikely to spend $ in the gem store. It is far better to have happy customers that take breaks rather than burned out grumpy ones that don’t.

I have taken breaks from GW2 (two breaks for 3+ months at a time with several shorter ones). Still enjoy playing a game that does not require you to log in daily to stay even remotely competitive. /filthycasual