Please buy the armor skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

These guys need to add a ton more armor sets to the store. I mean like at least 50 sets. Give players some serious options through the store. The GW2 store is a joke compared to what other games have to offer.

No one take that the wrong way either. I said the store not the game. They obviously want to make money through the store and that is their main way of income now so it’s time to offer more than RNG and goofy town clothes.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Unfortunately, the male light does not look good on my main, who is a skinny sylvari and so, as usual has issues with the shoulders looking awful and the waist being weirdly high. The shirt is pretty cool, but it clips with every other shoulder piece that I have that I preview with.

So I’d love to spend ten bucks on an armor skin, but the pieces they chose to reskin for this new set are not ones that work with my main. When they come out with one that I can mix and match more easily (or wear as a set without shoulder issues— this is also why I haven’t gotten most of the dungeon sets) I will be happy to buy.

Annoying because I love steampunk. But I do compliment ANet on offering things directly for sale instead of RNG.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Jackrabbit.2079

Jackrabbit.2079

I want to buy to support but man they are so many ugly pieces to each set. Allow us to buy each piece separately for like 100-200 gems and I’d pick up SOME of them in a heartbeat.

ALSO why aren’t these armors tailored for charr? Other than the usual tail clipping and floating shoulder pads on all three; on the heavy boots there’s an odd metal plate floating over my charr’s claws. Someone should’ve caught that and removed it.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I would love to buy them, but they are fugly. The light armor set is especially hideous.

If they put up armor sets like Lady Kasmeer’s feathered armor I would buy 5-6 sets of the kitten thing.

Yeah, very much this

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Using the cash shop only encourages them to implement it even more. This behavior needs to be punished, not rewarded.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Using the cash shop only encourages them to implement it even more. This behavior needs to be punished, not rewarded.

You are aware that “that behavior” is what allows us to play the game without having to play a subscription fee, right? You are aware that “that behavior” is what funds all the free content we’ve been given, right?

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

You are aware that “that behavior” is what allows us to play the game without having to play a subscription fee, right? You are aware that “that behavior” is what funds all the free content we’ve been given, right?

This.

Also, what “behaviour”? Putting stuff in the gem store that EVERYONE can enjoy? That everyone can access pretty much using whatever method they choose – buying gems straight up with cash or grinding out the gold in whatever manner they want to convert it to gems to buy? Honestly, how is that bad behaviour?

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Sometimes I take a step back and look at the big picture that is GW2 and I come to realize that this is Dress-up Dolls Online.

Isn’t all mmo dress doll? Would be boring without it.

To a degree, yes. WoW got onboard a while back but fo the longest time, the look of the gear you got was the look of the gear you got.

I haven’t played all that much of NWO but it doesn’t look like the look of gear can be changed there as well.

I’m hoping (if they really want to stay true to the series) that TES online won’t have re-skinning.

Then you look at Aion. The game is all about re-skinning.

Posted by: Moonjelly.6957

Moonjelly.6957

If this game was sub based I would be inclined to agree with you. But as it isn’t, a gem store is pretty much mandatory to keep things going. That being said, you do realize that the people that work at Anet don’t work for free don’t you?
In the end if the items in the store bother you, ignore it and move on.

Frankly I wish they would add more cosmetic items to the gem store. My biggest complaint with the new armor sets is the designs are different for each sex (except for Asura and Charr) and there is no choice between them. I would have gotten the heavy armor set used for the males on my female Norn warrior (I love the gauntlet/chest/leg designs, but the female version is not my cup of tea)

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

There are parts of the armor that are great, but the whole sets suffer from the typical “Steampunk virus” that I see at conventions every year.

There’s always some guy at the dealer’s room at conventions that is trying to sell ‘authentic steampunk gear’ when all they are selling are gold and gunmetal grey spray-painted casio watches with superfluous gears and wires and kitten hot glued all over them.

That is what I see when I look at these armors. There is no function to these clipart gears copypasta’d all over the clothing. Function over form is kinda the pinnacle of steampunk. It works, so they don’t care that it looks like a bag of wires and cogs. The heavy armor shoulder especially makes me shudder.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

No thanks, i’m not going to pay 10 bucks (or several hours of my life to farm cof) for the privilege of dressing my character like a comicon cosplayer

I’m also ok with rng, i don’t feel entitled to have cosmetics. Cool if i get it, too bad if i don’t.

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

I take back what I said about the heavy armor, when using the correct dye combination it does look really good. Another $10 buck to Anet.

Now to find some weapons to go with the look.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I take back what I said about the heavy armor, when using the correct dye combination it does look really good. Another $10 buck to Anet.

No to find some weapons to go with he look.

Take a look at the Fixer Upper (mace) then, looks like a wrench. :-)

Attachments:

Posted by: Ed of Death.4819

Ed of Death.4819

I would love to buy armor and weapon skins from the store to support the game. But frankly the armor and weapons they have put in…… are ugly as hell.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

We need to be able to buy them IN SEPARATE PIECES!

I can’t justify 800 gems, when the only part of the light armour I’d like to get are the trousers.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Why would i buy something that i think is ugly ? Make sense……

Tower Guard.5263

Ohhh, that looks nice.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I would buy them if you could get the pieces seperately or if they were ‘saved’ on an NPC like the GW1 costumes I would get them.

As it is I don’t want to spend the money for a set of skins when most of them will sit in my bank unused on the off-chance that I’ll have a use for them later. And I wouldn’t want to buy them and then delete them either, that’s just throwing money away.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I wouldn’t buy them if someone else paid for them, if they were gifted to me I would return to sender. FUGLY!

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I would love to, but they do not deserve it right now and the skins are really bad looking.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Medium looks fantastic… on an engineer.

Heavy looks way too old fashioned. When normal armours are lamalar, scale and ornate plate, going back to what looks like panel bashed basic plate chest with fabric elsewhere looks anachronistic for the sake of it. And the castellated C-Cups just look ridiculous. The gloves are nice, thats it.

Light wouldnt be too bad if the corset didnt look like a 1980’s Gobot.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

I suggest everyone to buy the armor skins off the shop, it is possible that if they sell SIGNIFCANTLY more by selling the skins directly, they could change their marketing strategy to reflect it; which means this could end the RNG issue.

That or they’ll realize… hey people really want armor and guess what ends up in the RNG boxes next?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I would if they didn’t look terrible. Get some new artists. Seriously.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

On one hand, Im sad so many people are saying they won’t buy the armor sets since it means it will be negative reinforcement for this model and they will likely go back to RNG lottery boxes.

On the other hand, I’m happy to near not many people will run the new armor sets, because then my character can be semi-unique =D

Tower Guard.5263

I like how it looks on my main, I still need to tweak the colors though.

The things I don’t like are those castle rampart on the chest and the helmet sucks to no end.

I don’t really have alts so I have 4 sets of full exotics for my main.

Attachments:

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I love them and have bought all 3!

Yes, they could of done better…But they’re seriously not ugly.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

It still irks me that engineers can’t use maces (and thus can’t equip that weapon).

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I agree with everyone who is disappointed with gem shop armors. I would like to be able to earn them in game somehow (yes I know you could just convert gold to gems but the conversion rate has gotten a little too high if you ask me). Also, and this is my biggest issue with the new armors, they are kind of ugly.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I hate Steampunk

Not buying

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I suggest everyone to buy the armor skins off the shop, it is possible that if they sell SIGNIFCANTLY more by selling the skins directly, they could change their marketing strategy to reflect it; which means this could end the RNG issue.

But…. they’re ugly.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I hate Steampunk

Not buying

I love steampunk, it’s just these are ugly.
People are buying these without RNG, release more armor Anet!

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I bought the heavy set for PvP, and I love it. Except the helm, ugly as sin.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Grimwolf.7163

Actually, I think it would be helpful if I were more constructive and actually said why I think they’re all ugly:
Heavy – …Looks like a robot. It’s also incredibly plain and symmetrical. The female pants are actually pretty cool, but the male version fails to match the rest of the armor, has very low detail in general, and the belts are just lame.
Medium – With the male version; the skirt is horribly rigid and fake, the studded belts across the chest are too S&M and don’t match the rest, and the shoulders are WAY too big and also fail to match the rest of the armor at all. All of the gears across the set look tacked on and don’t blend in well. Like pins or something.
The gloves are just a mess and don’t even match themselves let alone the rest of the armor (sharp change between hands and wrist).
The pants are just all kinds of bad without any redeeming features; they look like something a comic book superhero would wear. Which is bad. They’re not Steampunk, and I could never picture them on an actual person outside a hardcore Sci-fi setting.
The boots are WAY too bulky, too many belts, and match nothing else in the set except the gloves, which also match nothing else.
The set as a whole also has much too strong of an Asuran feel. I understand that the Sky Pirates are working with the Inquest, but Asuran gear only looks good on Asurans. The Inquest dungeon armor suffers this same problem, much like the Twilight Arbor armor and Sylvari.
More of that wool pattern seen on the gloves and boots should have been woven into the rest, like a visible undershirt made of it with a collar, and the Asuran pattern should have been replaced with a more rugged Steampunk pattern.
With the female version; the chest is too shapeless and bulky with a big ugly spotted area right in the center, the skirt matches neither the rest of the outfit nor the theme itself by breaking off into full-blown cyberpunk (more Inquest theme problems), the shoulders have the same problem as the male version, and the boots are very bulky and plain. The pants and gloves are both basically fine.
Light – on the Male version; the chest is good, the shoulders share the same problems as the Medium armor, the gloves don’t match the chest and have a clumsily abrupt and plain end at the forearm, the pants share the same issue as the Medium armor, the boots are totally plain and devoid of any real style or detail, and the skirt is both rather plain and fails to match the chest piece at all.
With the female version, the skirt is good overall but flares out too much, the chest is horribly bulky and shapeless, the shoulders are just all over bad, and literally no two pieces in the entire set actually match. At all.

Every version suffers from a few problems. The biggest issue is that they’re supposed to be Steampunk, yet Inquest style was ham-fisted in for arbitrary reasons despite being a completely different theme; Cyberpunk. It’s all a mixed up mess as a result.
The other problems would be the helmets and shoulders. They’re all horribly bulky and just irredeemably hideous in every regard on top of failing in every case to match the rest of the set properly. Like they were lazily tacked on just to have them, without even trying to tie them into the rest of the outfit.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Posted by: Shreddie.5170

Shreddie.5170

I think the light armor set is awesome and would totally buy it…
If I could wear it on my engineer

Rhaem – Elementalist / Greare – Engineer
Sea of Sorrows – [TB] TheBetrayed
youtube.com/shreadygw2

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

There is a fairly small percentage of armors in the game that are nice, but there are way too many that are ugly. The gem store armors generally follow the trend. I know they must have a number of artists responsible for armors. I also assume that one or two artists are likely responsible for the best armors and there are some artists that just can’t make armor that isn’t ugly as sin.

This really is the notable weakness in the art dept. The game itself is beautiful and full of detail. Fashion is difficult. A very skilled and talented artist may still have zero fashion sense. It’s well past time to get the fashion impaired artists off of armor and onto something better suited for them and actively search out game artists who have a solid portfolio of fashionable game armor.

BTW, IMO, both Heavy sets are by far the best of the gem store armors. The original medium armor was decent, the new medium armor had potential but was ruined by the chest. Both Light armors are just plain horrid.

(edited by Fiontar.4695)

Grimwolf.7163

Actually, I’ve found it’s incredibly rare to find a game in which much of the clothing/armor is NOT ugly. At least in games where you have many outfits to choose.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Bring in some of the AWESOME LOOKING armors/weapons from GW1. There’s your money ANET.
One of the best looking IMO were the TAT armors.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

I like how it looks on my main, I still need to tweak the colors though.

The things I don’t like are those castle rampart on the chest and the helmet sucks to no end.

I don’t really have alts so I have 4 sets of full exotics for my main.

Looks good on your female char now try on your male char…lol thats what thought

vvuevv

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Alot of the heavy armors should have a nicer polish on them like the new heavy set.

vvuevv

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

I would because I like steampunk/ cyberpunk looks in stuff… but I main a female light class.. No way would I ever wear that look.

I think the medium armour set and the heavy sets are 10x better looking but once again…light class so no go on that.

Posted by: RottenRagamuffin.3159

RottenRagamuffin.3159

I love the new Steampunk armour skins! I bought the light set for my ele.

I see that they aren’t liked by all, but if you like steampunk, you’ll probably like the new skins. If you don’t, well, each to their own.

(SBI)

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Honestly, alot of it has to due with your dye scheme. You have to play with it a little bit otherwise yeah, when you preview them they look horrible. They all are quite nice, though. They could do better but it’s only 800 gems for 1, and if we want them to release more armor skins they need to do well as I think that’s why it’s taken so long for them to do new ones since launch.

I agree, I would like to see upgraded versions of the best GW1 skins in the gem shop, there’s no reason why they couldn’t make some extremely beautiful sets for the gem shop and thus make armor skins a very, very big selling point. But we may never see anything like that if these don’t sell well.

Idea: maybe they could put it up for a community vote, between two or 3 different concepts that we would like to see in the gem shop

(edited by Shanna.4762)

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

God. I feel like like if they put the armor in an NPC shop for 50 gold, people wouldn’t be complaining like they do now, even though buying with gems is 50% cheaper with the gold-to-gem conversion.

They could give them away for free and people would still find something to complain about.

Did people complain about the Dragon Back pieces? (Serious question)

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

I would buy the Armor skins off the store but they are hideous! Whoever designed these latest ones “Sky Pirate” needs to seriously consider a career change.

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

On Asuras, beautiful, leather and fabrics!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

The skins have terrible clipping issues on charr and I don’t feel like making a new character for them. If anything they’ve encouraged me to avoid putting more money into this game/company.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I would if I could take a pair of scissors to the medium skirt.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

what behavior? Selling vanity items for money so that the game could survive in the first place and they wouldn’t need to charge for a sub fee? Do you even know how a B2P and F2P models work?

Posted by: Abhor.5602

Abhor.5602

They’re hideous. If you want more of my money make something actually good.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

They’re hideous. If you want more of my money make something actually good.

depends on your taste in my opinion. For example I think that medium armor for asura looks great.