Please dont troll the event timer! Behave!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

Due to severe overflow servers during dragon or other chest events, some people use cheap methods to get access to the main map.

Those kitten players manipulate the timers in such a way (eg. reset) to lure players out of the main map. Don’t be like that. Accept that this time you didn’t make it!

Behave!

Good hunting :-)

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Anet needs to make the spawn timer truly random.

BAM, problems solved.

Posted by: Meeooww.3742

Meeooww.3742

Make your own timer and center it around your guild. You then have control over who gets to reset timers, who is resetting timers, and more confident numbers. Only downside is someone representative of your guild or group must be present at each of these events.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

what timer you speak of?

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

BAM, problems solved.

Yeah I would also prefer a rng timer for dragons as well!

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

What an arrogant answer. I don’t mean to sound offensive, but you don’t get to decide what is playing and what is not. I don’t like the farming either. I don’t understand while people want to stand in LA all day playing the TP. But wow, let people play their game will you?

Edit: Seems the post I answered to was deleted.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

(edited by Treeline.3865)

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Easy fix is that you can’t get chests from open world bosses while guesting. 99% of everyone’s problems with guesting instantly disappear.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Easy fix is that you can’t get chests from open world bosses while guesting. 99% of everyone’s problems with guesting instantly disappear.

People are showing up at the chests more now because of better loot. Each map isn’t able to hold even a tiny fraction of a server’s population. If you’re in a server that hits overflow in LA even semi-frequently, than it’s no surprise that people are hitting overflow on the chest events. I don’t think guesting really does much of anything. The loot change and the guesting change hit at roughly the same time, so I think people are making the wrong correlation.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Are you guys talking about the Dragon event timers or the Guild mission bounty hunt? There is trolling going on with the guild missions, but I’m not sure what is meant by trolling the timers.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

+1 for randomized timers on meta events; ‘dynamic’ tends to lose it’s flair once it’s on a schedule. Besides I doubt this was the gameplay intent of the devs-a bunch of ppl suddenly porting for one event them skip to the next map and such and such.

If you’re in a guild and someone happens to be there they’ll call it out-or if you happen to be on the map at the same time. They could also boost regular event rewards so people are willing (since everyone wants to be ‘rewarded’ for having fun -__-) to explore the map regardless of a meta event…but what am I saying? We’re not here to have fun-we’re here to get pixelated riches!

On topic (at last)-yes it is a rather inconvenient ‘solution’ to overflow but I imagine they feel just as cheated when guests push them into OF; either way someone is going to get left behind. I personally don’t do it (don’t even visit the website tbh) but it really doesn’t bother me so much. Maybe it’s because I have better things to do than set up rigid schedules and try to treat a game like a job-I still play it just to have fun, but hey, if other players exploit a feature to hinder you from having fun, then tamper with the timers all you want to return the favour. Fair is fair

tldr: Tampering with the timers is a symptom not a cause(although I personally don’t do it)-eradicate the cause the symptom will follow. I imagine those tampering with it feel just as cheated when guests push them into overflow-this is their only way of taking matters into their own hands

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

I do NOT want a randomized timer. That would be incredibly lame. Then no one would ever get to fight a dragon… What are you going to do, stand around all day in a boring zone waiting for one? That would remove a huge part of this game, and might even kill the game.

Some of these recommendations are just ridiculous anymore, if you don’t like the people in the events, then don’t play the event. Don’t ruin it for everyone else.

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

If I can’t play then nobody can play!!

Pathetic.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

People are showing up at the chests more now because of better loot. Each map isn’t able to hold even a tiny fraction of a server’s population. If you’re in a server that hits overflow in LA even semi-frequently, than it’s no surprise that people are hitting overflow on the chest events. I don’t think guesting really does much of anything. The loot change and the guesting change hit at roughly the same time, so I think people are making the wrong correlation.

Anet could also limit the number of times any player can loot a chest a day. Like they do with jumping puzzles.

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I think the timers are nice. If I am bored I will check and see if something is coming up if not I usually just log out. I think that if they were random then there could be the chance of not enough people there to complete it. Idk what the min is on these dragons so maybe 2 or 3 could kill it.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Glad to see people are getting behind the idea of randomizing the event times. As far as the dragon timer website and people misrepresenting the complete times… I say good for them, hack the planet and all that.

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

I troll the all the time. I find it funny to see 100 people standing around camping a chest.

Reminds of my old EQ1 days and waiting in lower guk.

If people rather “play” the dragon timers, then the game, then the get the RNG of us folks that spam it with bad info..

Enjoy

Thanks! I think so.

Anet needs to make the timers random. The intent was never to have players camping a timers site and hopping servers.

That is the result, so if Anet is not fixing it, some of us players can help drive the point home. Maybe the cries of all the players standing around after camping a borked timer, might fix it.

Think of the service we provide to the other players!
That’s quite funny.

Who are you to decide how people want to play you sir are just a trolling baby with nothing else to do you make me sick.

I bet i would hate to play the game with you or know anything about who you are it does not say anywhere that anet does not want people standing around waiting for dragons.

Why must YOU wreck games for other folks cant you cause enough grief in the rest of your life ( which i am sure is easy for you)

Well look at it this way-how were you playing before the timers existed? I can’t help but think that if the intent was to make players grind meta events (basically what it boils down to) they wouldn’t have kept the timers hidden in game. Come to think of it, yeah…they could just put time remaining under the meta event notification on maps if that was their intent. So while I don’t think they have a problem with people waiting on/grinding meta events (I think it’s silly and only younger players with way too much time on their hands do it, but it doesn’t affect how I play so meh <not taking guesting into account here>), it’s an unfortunate case where an camping coupled with the exploit of a feature leads to an undesirable and unintended effect.

Also regarding your last paragraph, the guests are wrecking the game for those who resort to such measures. You are the furthest thing from being objective and have no right to stand on a moral pedestal-someone affected how you play so you lash out like a rabid dog, simple as that (despite you probably contributing to the cause of the reaction).

“trolling baby”…ironic

However I do agree that categorically stating that camping meta events was never the intention was presumptuous-to the best of my knowledge we have no evidence of that

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Glad to see people are getting behind the idea of randomizing the event times. As far as the dragon timer website and people misrepresenting the complete times… I say good for them, hack the planet and all that.

There ya go!

Posted by: quidnunc.4239

quidnunc.4239

There is a limit of one chest per day per toon

Posted by: mattbnh.9247

mattbnh.9247

per boss – 1 toon can get 1 chest each from different bosses, yes?

“That’s more than I really needed to know.” – Adventurer in LA

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

per boss – 1 toon can get 1 chest each from different bosses, yes?

Add a account wide limit of 3 chests from each boss within a 24hr a day.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I am in favor of randomizing the timers, but doing so presents some issues that would need to be resolved at the same time. If the events were random, you still need to have a way for people to know when they are actually happening, otherwise the 4 or 5 people lucky enough to be there when it started would be selecting waypoints with armor repair services in no time. In order to keep this from happening, you need some way in which people can communicate outside their current zone, such as a world/server-chat channel. Alternatively there would need to be some sort of event announcement channel that people could choose to have display in chat or not.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

killcannon.2576

I am in favor of randomizing the timers, but doing so presents some issues that would need to be resolved at the same time. If the events were random, you still need to have a way for people to know when they are actually happening, otherwise the 4 or 5 people lucky enough to be there when it started would be selecting waypoints with armor repair services in no time. In order to keep this from happening, you need some way in which people can communicate outside their current zone, such as a world/server-chat channel. Alternatively there would need to be some sort of event announcement channel that people could choose to have display in chat or not.

Considering one of the problems this game has is actually getting people out into more and/or different zones and that putting an event announcement is actually the same exact thing as a timer, this would actually make it worse. The dragons (or building models with wings) are some of the easiest encounters in the game (besides Claw, he can be sorta hard without enough people), a five to ten person team is more than enough to take them down. The same goes for Behemoth, the Worm, and Maw.

The magic of these encounters has been dead and gone for quite awhile, boiling down to just showing up to get a chest, and then bugging out to the next chest event. While I am not one of those people who advocate removing rewards from doing these encounters, the way they are currently set up could be game breaking as more and more people get into the rotation of the chest event runs.

Edit: As far as a world chat channel, it’s a good idea and has been needed for quite awhile now, and not just for world boss announcements.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I think a random timer (with some constrictions so it doesn’t spawn too soon or too long) could work if you display a world boss on the world map for people to see. In general for a system like a random timer to work there needs to either be clear indication like that or have better communication across the server so people can shout out world bosses (or both).

I’m not sure if I’m entirely for the idea of a random timer, but, I am annoyed at being put into overflows. I feel like I’m waiting in line to wait for a boss to spawn.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It was only a matter of time before those who are trolls and/or against all of this guesting for your daily rare(s) took action. I’m just surprised that it’s not as worse as it could be given that the timer website has little security with its timers.

killcannon.2576

It was only a matter of time before those who are trolls and/or against all of this guesting for your daily rare(s) took action. I’m just surprised that it’s not as worse as it could be given that the timer website has little security with its timers.

I don’t see the problem is really with guesting, just that a majority of the open world pve player base is now on the chest event train because it’s the easiest solution to getting rares. Guaranteed rare drops are a powerful lure to the player base.

Posted by: nasfieldjohn.2416

nasfieldjohn.2416

they should just make the lootable chest for world boss account based

solved all the guesting complains, all the trolling timer complains, all the overflow complains, lag complains , etc etc

while they are at it, they should make the dungeon chests = world boss chests
get back those dungeoneers who are now doing world events instead
help fix some of the above problem

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I agree the current situation is unacceptable, randomized dragon/big events are not a good idea because they could result in a situation where someone, through a combination of real life obligations and extreme bad luck, just never manages to be around when a dragon spawns.

What I propose instead is INCREASING the frequency of dragon spawns. Have them spawn once every hour, but each chest can only be opened once per character per day (and it applies across all servers), so there’s no real point in camping there once than once, and there’s no point in guesting to other servers.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They should sync the dragon events so they all happen at the same time. That would force people to choose. People trying to get to another dragon after the easy one is dead would probably end up in an overflow and get screwed.

It would solve some problems, and annoy pretty much everyone. A win/win if you ask me. lol

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Make all events on a set schedule and get rid of the spawn window.

Sync all servers up to that schedule so that if shatter is happening on IoJ, it is also happening on BG, that way if your server has a lot on and some get kicked into over flow, over flow will also be on the same timer and you won’t have to wait for that event to start and you won’t have people trying to guest to a server with a active event since it will be happening on their home server at the same time.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I have noticed a new attitude of trolling in the game that has never been there before. People give wrong waypoints in map—chat so that others can’t get to events and even decline to call out events all together.
I definitely blame the new camping to get loot for this.

I have been a fan of the idea of random dragons from the start and I have always loved the world events and tried to do them as much as possible- since the patch though all the magic is gone.
Something needs to be done- I don’t think limiting guesting or chest rewards is the answer.
Instead increase rewards across the game for completing event chains and give a min drop per champ/vet.
I really don’t like the atmosphere these days on my previously awesome server

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

easiest way to please everyone is to make the dragon an instanced event. You just go to the map,activate an object that gives u the option to warp to the instanced event,a party can join u,limited to 1 chest per dragon per account per day.Difficulty will be scaled to 5 person. you can fight dragons with ur frens at ur own convenient timing this way without the problem of overflows,lags or getting trolled by timer.
You can killl zhaitan with 5 ppl anyways.

(edited by Verdelet Arconia.6987)

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

easiest way to please everyone is to make the dragon an instanced event. You just go to the map,activate an object that gives u the option to warp to the instanced event,a party can join u,limited to 1 chest per dragon per account per day.Difficulty will be scaled to 5 person. you can fight dragons with ur frens at ur own convenient timing this way without the problem of overflows,lags or getting trolled by timer.
You can killl zhaitan with 5 ppl anyways.

this would at least allow for more interesting mechanics than ‘stand on the ledge and press 1’ but they’d have to completely rewrite all those encounters and a 5 vs 1 fight doesn’t seem as epic as those 100 vs 1 fights we could have in the open world (they aren’t epic yet, but they could be)

personally, I’m in favour of limiting each dragon chest to once per character per day or even once per account per day. further randomization just leads to big guilds getting all the dragons, thanks to more ‘scouts’ while small guilds or solo players get nothing. I’d much rather have every dragon spawn every hour sharp so I don’t have to stand around for 30 minutes during a stupid spawn window.
the guaranteed rares should’ve dropped ecto prizes.. they didn’t so far, so apparently there aren’t enough of them to offset the loss of other stuff people would have if they just did something else (esp. dungeons).

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

whats this timer you all speak of?

Posted by: Kam.1780

Kam.1780

whats this timer you all speak of?

I bet this one here: http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/

co-leader of Ministry of Friendhsip [MoF] – Gandara

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

BAM, problems solved.

Oh yea, thats a great idea…we already have to stand around waiting for spawn windows…now you want everyone to stand around for hours just waiting for a 2 minute fight.

There is already a pathetically long waiting time for “endgame events”, and you want to make it even longer…."better to remain silent and be thought a fool…etc etc ".

(edited by Robbyx.1284)

Posted by: Piaskowy.7160

Piaskowy.7160

For me the best solution could be only, that “no dragon chest for guests”. How hard is that. I dont really care about the guests at servers. But hate greedy players that trolling the timers to get few more chests. Wanna loot the dragon, do it on our own server and let other play.

AN could also add their own dragon timer on specific map. Worst thing ever is waiting 30min+ on dragon and notice that timer was “trolled”.

(edited by Piaskowy.7160)

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

An official timer would be great and a logical solution, but I don’t think ANet will ever do it. Removing the ability to get a chest while guested might work, but I don’t think it would solve the overflow issue at all – there are a lot of servers that have enough people to hit overflow just with the regular server population.

Having all events go at once, even overflows, actually sounds good. That way, even if you get stuck in an overflow you don’t miss it. This would pull people into the chest zones all at the same time though, so the other zones would probably be emptier for however long it took to finish the meta event.

And making the events more frequent would also help. EX:
Shadow Behemoth events are at least an hour apart. Everyone has to time their play in order to get it. People camp, the map goes into overflow, it’s a bad scene.
Frozen Maw happens very quickly (every 30 min? ). There’s almost never enough people to send the map into overflow.

If all the events spawned more often, there’d be less pressure to be there for an event, and fewer people would camp them. Problem solved.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Just having them all go off at the same time on all servers would be sufficient.

Having them not on some sort of timers would be the same as removing them honestly. People wouldn’t bother anymore. You’d hang out the first time to see them if you were new, maybe do it a few more times, then wouldn’t bother again.

Then people would be back farming in dungeons which is even more boring (Least witht he dragons you get to goof around in map chat/say with all the people that showed up)

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I do NOT want a randomized timer. That would be incredibly lame. Then no one would ever get to fight a dragon… What are you going to do, stand around all day in a boring zone waiting for one? That would remove a huge part of this game, and might even kill the game.

Some of these recommendations are just ridiculous anymore, if you don’t like the people in the events, then don’t play the event. Don’t ruin it for everyone else.

You know you sound just as ridiculous imo…. of course people would do the dragons etc… justg not camp toons or server hop for them… that was never the intended purpose of guesting… I dont tend to do dragon events as a means to an end, if its on then great if not then meeehh, but others on their home map might feel hard done by when they are locked out oif it and placed in overflow due to the mass of anybodies porting in. Additionally the events, if randomised might begin to hold some challenge again and not be a mass lagfest with untold culling issues and server DC’s…

Why would randomising the events promote hanging around for it to randomly occure… players might actually think of other things to do in game then… its players like your that think standing around spawn points waiting for it to happen, watching a timer then zone in or worse log your camped toons just for a yellow or two… that make the idea of events ridiculous as it is curren tly.

The dragon events, coupled with the increasing amount of guild mission activites around the maps/ servers is at least now showing just how poorly thought through the content has been and how their knee jerk reaction to loot envey is actually having a negative effect on the game.. boss events were never meant to be done and dusted in 30 seconds and rare items were supposes to be… RARE! not gimme’s

+1 FOR RANDOMISING and if they have a spine make them spawn in random places /maps as well and take away that guarantee of a yellow.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I like the idea of making the events more frequent, say at most 30 mins between events. Then there would be no need for timers. You want to kill one of the dragons? Just go to the zone and wait a little while. With the chest limit, more spawns of each boss means fewer people fighting it each time, helping with the overflow issues.

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

Current spawn times are fine, the people that are trolling the timer website just need to stop.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

BAM, problems solved.

Oh yea, thats a great idea…we already have to stand around waiting for spawn windows…now you want everyone to stand around for hours just waiting for a 2 minute fight.

There is already a pathetically long waiting time for “endgame events”, and you want to make it even longer…."better to remain silent and be thought a fool…etc etc ".

Maybe take some of your own advice and stop waiting around.. only fool I see here is the one wanting to camp the events in the first place.
Do something else instead… you choose to stand around waiting for ages no one forces you to… that way the events will likely last longer than 30 seconds and you will have more chance of getting to it when it spawns.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Against randomizing… Don’t listen to people who aren’t trying to get their legendaries or to upgrade their ascended backpack, they have absolutely no clues of the pain to gather ectos…

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

The problem with these events have nothing to do with guesting or timers. The root problem has everything to do with the paucity of rares and exotics from open world drops. Farming a chain of these events can take as little as a couple of hours where you can potentially bag multiple rares/exotics from each event. Open world farming and even dungeons cannot offer loot rewards of this magnitude for equal time spent. I see this as a serious game imbalance that needs addressing ASAP.

(edited by carabidus.6214)

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Personally, I think it is hysterical that people troll the event timers. The whole, easiest content in the game dropping the best loot on a timer thing is completely out of hand.

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

Make every dragon / Behemoth event occur hourly instead of once every several hours and make them lootable once per account per day (instead of once per character); problems solved.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

The problem with these events have nothing to do with guesting or timers. The root problem has everything to do with the paucity of rares and exotics from open world drops. Farming a chain of these events can take as little as a couple of hours where you can potentially bag multiple rares/extotics from each event. Open world farming and even dungeons cannot offer loot rewards of this magnitude for equal time spent. I see this as a serious game imbalance that needs addressing ASAP.

Agree ^
AND leave the timers alone, no to account bound drops, no to the whiners.
I get decent stuff from a putrid skelk while a vet or champ drops nothing.
The game is incredibly unbalanced in many ways—drops are the most obvious ones and that needs to be fixed 1st.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

BAM, problems solved.

Yeah since everyone will be camping it all the time, overflow will happen for everyone, great idea!

Seriously, you don’t see how making it random would be a gigantic problem? “Oh Jormag(haha puttin the screws to you pedants) is going to spawn SOMETIME today? Guess I’ll be camping Frostgorge for hours and hours…not fun but the best way to make money.”

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

BAM, problems solved.

Yeah since everyone will be camping it all the time, overflow will happen for everyone, great idea!

Seriously, you don’t see how making it random would be a gigantic problem? “Oh Jormag(haha puttin the screws to you pedants) is going to spawn SOMETIME today? Guess I’ll be camping Frostgorge for hours and hours…not fun but the best way to make money.”

Except that won’t happen exactly for the reason you said. It won’t be fun, but on top of hat not profitable any more. People are not going to camp something that they will not profit from.

Randomizing is the only solution to solve the overflow problem.

The Dragon events should be treated as special yet currently it is nothing but a throw away event.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

BAM, problems solved.

Except that won’t happen exactly for the reason you said. It won’t be fun, but on top of hat not profitable any more. People are not going to camp something that they will not profit from.

Randomizing is the only solution to solve the overflow problem.

The Dragon events should be treated as special yet currently it is nothing but a throw away event.

Ok so they won’t profit from it, won’t camp it and then it’ll never get done? Why bother having the event if nobody will do it then? What if I actually have fun fighting the dragons and like doing it every day for that factor rather than just the phat lootz? Because I do enjoy doing the dragons every day beyond the loot and WILL camp Frostgorge because I have fun doing the fight even if the camping is boring.

I mean, how does this actually make things BETTER rather than just more annoying?