Please stop creating outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

What is the point of them? Give me armor sets so that I can mix and match stuff. I actually like the design of part of the outfit from today, but wouldn’t buy it because I don’t want to use every piece.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As someone who likes outfits (not all outfits, but some), it is my hope that ANet continue to produce both armor sets and outfits going forward.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Best solution would be to make them both skins and outfits

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Genesis.4671

Genesis.4671

Please stop crying about outfits.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

It’s bad enough that they allow those heathen Charrs to wear Balthazar’s Regalia totally ruining my immersion.

I can’t imagine what an abomination will be created by allowing pieces of Batlhazar’s Regalia to be mixed with dresses and salad leaves.

I sure am glad Anet made it an outfit and not totally spit on Batlhazar’s image.

(edited by Izaya.2906)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Normally I would agree with you but Balthazar outfit is too amazing so I disagree with you.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I like my outfits. I liked my outfits back in GW1, as well. In fact, several of my characters only wore a particular outfit, I liked them so much.

Outfits are great when leveling here, in GW2, as well.

I am truly considering purchasing the Balthazar Outfit; I’ve only tried it on my Charr, but it looks great. I may wait for a sale….I may not.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Please stop creating armour skins.

Give me outfits where I don’t have to worry about transmutation charges, and won’t be limited to 1 type of armour per profession.

I won’t buy armour skins, because I hate transmuation charges, and I want to wear whatever armour I want, be it light, medium or heavy.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Great lore with this armor, but let’s throw that in the gutter and make an outfit of it which all races can wear. Yaaaay…

Outfits should not be just outfits, they should also be armor skins for their respective weight (not all 3!). So you either get to wear the entire outfit on any class, or the armor skin on its respective weight. Mix and match is one of the cooler things about any RPG, but I guess it’s not as important here because reasons. Why work a bit harder and solve the clipping issues when you can just ship out one outfit after another and be done with it. Quantity over quality, amirite?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I love outfits too. Armor is ok but once I have a look for a char, I might not change it again for weeks or months. Outfits, I can switch between them in a moment and I do, whenever I tire of my char’s armor.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Outfits have the advantage of being much simpler to design, implement, and test. It might take 3-10 times more effort to create a full armor set that looks ‘decent’ on all race/gender combinations.

The main advantage for armor — mixing/matching — is part of what makes it more costly, since it has to go with every other piece of armor in the game. In contrast, outfits only have to match themselves.

I’d rather have an extra outfit or two every so often then have to wait ages between armor sets.

The current balance between outfits and armor sets is pretty good for now, in my opinion.

edit: added “in my opinion” on the last line; apparently it was not obvious to everyone that I was speaking for myself.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

The current balance between outfits and armor sets is pretty good for now.

I dont log in much but i had to respond to this BS. We have gotten outfit on top of outfit for a while and im tired of this. They need to stop doing this. Outfits are okay but let ppl chose if they want to have the look as an outfit or as an armor.

Please ANET. STOP MAKING OUTFITS ONLY ITS LAME. This great piece of armor you guys finally made after so long is a stupid outfit. There hasnt been a good lookin armor set in a while to my liking but then the balth one shows up… and its a kitten outfit.

Please give us the option to buy either the armor or an outfit version of whatever is on the TP. Please ANET I BEG YOU.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Armor has a design limitation where the pieces have to fit a specific pattern. If they were to convert an outfit to individual pieces, it wouldn’t look the same and it certainly wouldn’t look the same between all the weights. At the very least, they would have seams in different places. They can break these boundaries however, but it basically turns the affected pieces into an outfit. There are a few pieces in-game that do this, where equipping one piece overrides another slot. Specifically, it’s the chest and legs that are the problem, which is why they used to release only the other pieces.

Outfits in comparison give them a bigger space to work, though it’s still limited to what is technically possible. They don’t have to worry about fitting the pieces together. Simply put, it’s cheaper to produce.

Naus the Gobbo.5172

People who complain that ArenaNet don’t make armour skins anymore don’t realize that they are holding them back for the expansion.

And they will be obtained BY PLAYING THE GAME, like the glorious pvp armour and carapace armour.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

People who complain that ArenaNet don’t make armour skins anymore don’t realize that they are holding them back for the expansion.

And they will be obtained BY PLAYING THE GAME, like the glorious pvp armour and carapace armour.

That’s the dream. I love it when dreams come true.

(Not my dreams though, keep those things fake please!)

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Very likely true. That Shaman has data mined a light armor set (unnamed), a light and heavy Ley Line set (and there will undoubtably be a medium also), a medium armor set (unnamed), the Revenant armor, a heavy armor set (unnamed), and a set of all 3 weights (unnamed).

That Shaman (click on the archives on the right to see the previous months and the armors).

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

I would love to see outfit’s headpieces able to apply to normal armor. Should be too hard to mix with other armors

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Some outfits wouldn’t work well as armors, I’d say the balthazar regalia is kinda like this although most outfits currently available wouldn’t really not work as armour pieces.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Well the OP has a point. Personally, I only ever end up using outfits while level characters to cover their randomly slapped together gear. But I’ve kinda run out of alts to level…

At level 80, I want to mix-match something (more or less) unique for my characters. Outfits feel far too limited in these regards. It’s especially bad with the latest balt outfit, since you can neither properly dye it, nor remove the helmet without looking incredibly stupid (floating head ftw).

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It was kind of known that this was going to be an outfit about 3? weeks ago and ppl talked about this for some time i am not sure if the double dipping is realty needed. Its a good outfit there was a lot of work put into it.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Im buying it when i get the chance. I have a characters whose themed around Balthazaar already and this is perfect for her! (IMO i find all the rest of the flame armor to be ugly, and not even what a wargod would use..) Whats funny though, this will be the first character i have who wont be mixing and matching.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

As someone who likes outfits (not all outfits, but some), it is my hope that ANet continue to produce both armor sets and outfits going forward.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Rely on iron, Not False Gods!

Charr wearinf balthazars outfit is rediculous, Why do the armors linkedto human gods be used for all classes? It clashes with lore….

Also MORE armors. even if you’d start with the “lost PVP armors” we would have something…. the outfits are a cheap lorebraking substitute to actual content

The outfits are also breaking the identification of classes now. Problems will start arising when you can no longer determine light from heavy classes or when all people are wearing same outfits…. which is potentially gamebreaking.

SO no outfits in PVP/WVW.

Or a -better option- to disable them everywhere, not for a standard armor but the owner’s original armor, with dyes preferably. So I can see what I’m fighting, or running with. So I can make my guess about the capabilities of friend and foe…

Dress up is nice, but not to a point it can be abused either by not showing me what you are or not showing me what you can do….

That is the main reason why I prefer armors. I have a very powerfull rig and I’m not amused by the “standard-armors”… making everybody wear the same outfit but now based on class….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Jinesis.3782

Jinesis.3782

Stop being selfish, there are people who love outfits.

You can ask to get something, but do not ever ask to not give others something.

Posted by: Crypt.9062

Crypt.9062

Rely on iron, Not False Gods!

Charr wearinf balthazars outfit is rediculous, Why do the armors linkedto human gods be used for all classes? It clashes with lore….

Also MORE armors. even if you’d start with the “lost PVP armors” we would have something…. the outfits are a cheap lorebraking substitute to actual content

The outfits are also breaking the identification of classes now. Problems will start arising when you can no longer determine light from heavy classes or when all people are wearing same outfits…. which is potentially gamebreaking.

SO no outfits in PVP/WVW.

Or a -better option- to disable them everywhere, not for a standard armor but the owner’s original armor, with dyes preferably. So I can see what I’m fighting, or running with. So I can make my guess about the capabilities of friend and foe…

Dress up is nice, but not to a point it can be abused either by not showing me what you are or not showing me what you can do….

That is the main reason why I prefer armors. I have a very powerfull rig and I’m not amused by the “standard-armors”… making everybody wear the same outfit but now based on class….

I like this guy.

And also responding to Jens mesasge. alot of people hate outfits also, Why cant they make outfits and skins of the same Model( balthazar forexample)? or instead have anet create an outfit creater where u desgin your outfit ( from armors ingame etc) and make that into an outfit. And just make skins, then people can have outfits aswell.

And idk… having asurans and char ( and sylvari) using human god armor…. it just sort of makes me sad. and makes me want to kill charr and asurans.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I dont log in much but i had to respond to this BS. We have gotten outfit on top of outfit for a while and im tired of this. They need to stop doing this. Outfits are okay but let ppl chose if they want to have the look as an outfit or as an armor.

Please ANET. STOP MAKING OUTFITS ONLY ITS LAME. This great piece of armor you guys finally made after so long is a stupid outfit. There hasnt been a good lookin armor set in a while to my liking but then the balth one shows up… and its a kitten outfit.

Please give us the option to buy either the armor or an outfit version of whatever is on the TP. Please ANET I BEG YOU.

BS?
Lets stop with the hyperbole and really compare numbers, shall we?
Lets really weigh things here and put this in perspective.

1254 individual armor pieces of varying weights. (Give or take, my math could be off. Not counting aquatic headgears.)
46 full sets. x3 for each weight class. (Either from the Gem Store in in the game via Karma or Gold or even Crafting.)

By comparison, we have…

19 Outfits.

Not counting aquatic headgear. Or Back pieces, of which there are 112.

… My numbers might be a bit off, but it hardly seems like they are overloading the game with outfits.

So, with that in mind…
PLEASE ANET… I BEG YOU… Keep making these wonderful outfits. :p

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Hiei.8697

Hiei.8697

Looks like Anet don’t want to earn money.. the difference between outfit and armor is that you must wear all the set or you can wear only some part of it.. this mean you need transmutation stone to wear it on more than 1 character and this means (sometimes) money.. personally I won’t buy Regalia outfit, even if I really like it, because I only want to wear the helm (as I bought other armor skins only for 1-2 pieces).. and I think other people will do the same, and this means less money for Anet.. so, why Anet keep releasing outfits instead good armor skins?!

Posted by: Crypt.9062

Crypt.9062

BS?

1254 individual armor pieces of varying weights. (Give or take, my math could be off. Not counting aquatic headgears.)
46 full sets. x3 for each weight class. (Either from the Gem Store in in the game via Karma or Gold or even Crafting.)

By comparison, we have…

19 Outfits.

… My numbers might be a bit off, but it hardly seems like they are overloading the game with outfits.

So, with that in mind…

but they are only making outfits it seems. armor skins seem to have been kicked to the curb. He says hes okay with outfits but wants an option to buy ethier an outfit set or an armor skin set of the same model. hes not saying stop making outfits, but to stop making just outfits sine it seems to be where anet is heading towards. ( at least that what it feels like currently is what i think he is saying)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Outfits are selling, regardless of any opposition to their continued creation. That is why they will continue to invest time in designing even more.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Please do not stop creating outfits. Thanks!

Attachments:

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I just want the option to hide parts of the outfit, like helmet and shoulders, just like how I can hide individual armor pieces. Only this and I don’t care if it’s outfit or armor

Even better, allow when a part of an outfit is hidden to use the armor part instead, so you can mix-max shoulders and helmets with ease

Otherwise, I’m fine with outfits

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

In a game where the grind is REAL for achievements and cosmetic items to stand out from the crowd, the company keeps developing outfits that make us all look the same.

Outfits… thumbs down

Instead of this opinion that outfits are great because light/medium/heavy classes get to wear stuff that isn’t for them, why not just remove the armor class restrictions?

You find weapon skins you like, you can wear them, but your class will dictate the stats you benefit from them.

Ex. necro puts on heavy armor helmet, defense rating will still be 73 instead of 121.

The defense rating and attribute bonuses tables on the wiki show that it should be feasible to separate armor stats from the type of armor (light,medium,heavy) and thus let any class wear anything they want.

Just imagine the diversity of looks, and we could get rid of these outfits that go against every principle of what you grind for in this game…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Just a flesh wound.3589

In a game where the grind is REAL for achievements and cosmetic items to stand out from the crowd, the company keeps developing outfits that make us all look the same.

Outfits… thumbs down

Instead of this opinion that outfits are great because light/medium/heavy classes get to wear stuff that isn’t for them, why not just remove the armor class restrictions?

You find weapon skins you like, you can wear them, but your class will dictate the stats you benefit from them.

Ex. necro puts on heavy armor helmet, defense rating will still be 73 instead of 121.

The defense rating and attribute bonuses tables on the wiki show that it should be feasible to separate armor stats from the type of armor (light,medium,heavy) and thus let any class wear anything they want.

Just imagine the diversity of looks, and we could get rid of these outfits that go against every principle of what you grind for in this game…

On armor compatibility: Source (page 18).
“When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future.”

They can’t do what you suggest without completely scrapping all the armor in the game and starting over.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Leming.8436

Leming.8436

keep creating outfits, thanks to them my wallet is fat and lazy like it should be.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

take a look at how people mix and match then you will understand why anet wants yo salvage the situation by creating outfits.

Naus the Gobbo.5172

take a look at how people mix and match then you will understand why anet wants yo salvage the situation by creating outfits.

What do you mean?

Attachments:

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

As someone who prefers mix and match I don’t care for buying outfits, but they should definitely keep making them. Outfits allow for them to create armour sets without having to worry about how each piece would fit with every other armour piece in the game. This allows for quicker release and more creative freedom.

Provided that outfits don’t replace the release of individual armour skins I am happy for them to exist. And who knows, I might like one of the outfits fully one day!

| Lithia |

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

In my opinion, I’d rather have fewer new armour sets that I can mix and match, rather than more outfits that lack customization. I’m one of those quality over quantity kind of guys and it hurts to see ANet adopt what I feel is a rather cheesy and cheap way of introducing new style variations.

People bring up the “but I can change outfits without using transmutation charges!” argument a lot, but honestly, this wouldn’t be an issue if ANet simply dropped the transmutation requirements for armour to begin with. If they did that, then not only would armour sets be as accessible and easy to change as outfits, but we’d also see more variety in terms of character appearances, rather than seeing 100 players running around with the exact same look every time a new outfit comes out.

And lastly, as some have mentioned, outfits introduce a lot of identity issues when it comes to a character’s class or race. When you see someone wearing what looks like heavy armour, you expect them to be a heavy armour class like a warrior or a guardian. Now imagine a Mesmer appearing on screen wearing the Balthazar outfit. Not only is it lore/immersion breaking, but it could also cause issues in competitive game modes like WvW, where you typically have to react fast and tend to identify enemies on sight first (for example, if you see someone wearing light armour holding a greatsword, you know they’re a Mesmer before you’ve even targeted them, but if they are in an outfit that gives the impression of them wearing heavy armour, identifying them is not as simple and you might mistake them for a warrior or guard before engaging).

If ANet is not going to distinguish between armour classes with outfit appearances, then why not allow us to use the appearance of either heavy, medium or light armour classes on any character to begin with? It just doesn’t make sense.

Mosharn.8357

BS?

By comparison, we have…

19 Outfits.

So, with that in mind…

Outfits are stupid. They limit creativity. Also do not add armors that were released before this outfit stuff came around. That’s 70% of the armor thats been out since before outfits became a thing. We had 3-4 outfits in a row now on the TP. Do not bs.

Don’t play this numbers joke. This game’s end game is basically Fashion wars. When you limit that with these dumb outfits you limit everything. People play this game to make their own creative looks and things from pieces which is basically what the game wants you to do. Outfits are cool if ppl like them but don’t make every kitten thing an outfit. Give people the option because this is stupid how they come out with something that looks good and its an outfit -.-

It’s really not hard to turn any outfit into armor all this proportion bs is a joke. They are all different sized on every race and can easily be turned into armor pieces. There are some pieces that don’t go well together so that cant be an excuse.

Mosharn.8357

Outfits are selling, regardless of any opposition to their continued creation. That is why they will continue to invest time in designing even more.

Of course they are selling. You put anything on the tp and ppl will buy it because it’s appealing to some people. How ever i can assure you that its not making as much as the armor on the tp made because just look around and see how many people you see in outfits. Outfits limit what this game is centered around which is the look of your character and how creative you are with its look.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Outfits are not stupid. There is nothing wrong with outfits (this coming from someone that for the most part isn’t a fan on 95% of them). There is nothing wrong with them making outfits and sticking them in the gem shop. They are an excellent monetary cosmetic item.

Yes, we need some new armors. I would prefer that they start putting these in the game as opposed to in the shop. Perhaps, having outfits as in the shop will allow for them to stick armors (when they make them) into the game, as opposed to “needing” to sell them to generate revenue. Carapace and Lumi could have easily been stuck in the gem store; however, they were not. So I have some hope.

Yes, some outfits would look pretty snazzy as armors; however, we have been told several times that there are technical limitations on armor implementations. Due to these limitations (as (I have said other places) it is most likely that if certain outfits (like the balth) were translated into an armor set, it would be limited to a single weight, which would kitten a lot of people off. Outfits allow for a broader range of consumers for looks that are extremely desirable.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Of course they are selling. You put anything on the tp and ppl will buy it because it’s appealing to some people. How ever i can assure you that its not making as much as the armor on the tp made because just look around and see how many people you see in outfits. Outfits limit what this game is centered around which is the look of your character and how creative you are with its look.

If outfits don’t make as much as armor, then why does ANet continue to make and sell them instead of armor? Why don’t they go back to making and selling armor? One would think that they would quickly realize the armor was more profitable after a couple of releases of outfits and switch back to armor.

Or could it be that the reason why they haven’t switched is because outfits are more profitable than armor?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

If outfits don’t make as much as armor, then why does ANet continue to make and sell them instead of armor? Why don’t they go back to making and selling armor? One would think that they would quickly realize the armor was more profitable after a couple of releases of outfits and switch back to armor.

Or could it be that the reason why they haven’t switched is because outfits are more profitable than armor?

It may not even be an issue of profit vs profit relative to armour vs outfits. It might rather be an issue of cost vs profit with regards to making said armour/outfit sets. If it takes less time and resources to make an outfit than it does to make armour, and both net a similar amount of profit, then creating outfits obviously become more appealing for ANet even if the same is not necessarily true for players.

The question is, how much will we players let them get away with before we finally realise we’re getting the short end of the stick? Should we promote ANet taking shortcuts just because it’s better for their turnover? Should we not expect the best quality at all times? Looking at how poor the quality for the new Red Panda on the gem store is compared to other minis, for example, I’m certainly worried that we players are supporting a very poor downward trend here. I personally have high expectations of ANet, and that should only be seen as a compliment, rather than a curse. I certainly hope they have high expectations for themselves as well and don’t betray the faith that players are putting in them.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Please stop crying about outfits.

This.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I have to admit…I’d make a Norn Guardian TODAY if I could just have the balth shoulders and gloves with dyeable glowing parts. Don’t really need the rest of the outfit though…

PS: Not a huge fan of Norn but that would be just too perfect.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Hasn’t there been like 9 sets of armor skins added?

3 Carapace
3 Glorious
3 Zodiac

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

My guess at most people’s overall thoughts and feelings summed up;

Frustration & disappointment
It feels like Anet are only releasing outfits. This is because they haven’t released enough new full armour sets since launch, and, the ones that have been released just haven’t “hit the spot” for a lot of people.

Some of the outfits (at very least, some of the pieces of some outfits) look very nice—and consequently many people would like to have said pieces to mix and match with other pieces. This can’t be done, and it’s just plain frustrating.

While the “technical issues” excuse for pushing out outfits instead of armours may be ‘valid’ to some extent, it is regardless, entirely unacceptable and a clear example of an overall loss in production quality and excellence in favour of cost reduction and time saving. Anet have already proven that it is possible to create myriad individual pieces and still have them look great.

Releasing outfits in and of themselves is not the issue. What is the issue however, is that many people are desperately hanging out for some new stuff, and when it finally arrives in the form of an outfit that they can’t freely make use of, well, it’s just heartbreaking. Anet need to release armour—even if it’s not the same ‘theme’ as the outfit—alongside every outfit release.

That would appease the crowd, guaranteed.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Please stop asking Anet to stop making things other players enjoy. This game is not just for you.

I like having both options. I like to mix and match armour sets on some characters and outfits on others. We get plenty of armour sets in game, but there are only a few outfit options at present. Plus with them being much quicker to produce, it makes perfect sense that we are getting more outfits than armour sets at the moment.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Because the artisan crafter who makes a ton of money selling these outfits in Lion’s Arch is totally going to care whether that human god is called Balthazar or whatever. Creates outfits. Sells like bacon. Profit, done.

See, even in-lore, it works fine. You’re talking about an outfit.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Riku.4821

Riku.4821

I like the outfits, gw2 isnt the first time they were added, there were costumes in gw1.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Costume.

The way I think about this most recent one is, if another race is wearing it they are a believer of Balthazar.

Guild Leader of Lunar Tree[LT].
Officer of Power Overwhelming[ZERK].
First term Forum PvE Specialist.