Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

Just give me the option to buy it with real money, and let the dungeon-grind-lovers do their dungeons. It’s understandable that A-net is afraid of losing the dungeon loving customer segment.

Posted by: Daphius.4580

Daphius.4580

No, I hate the new ascended items and I was hoping for something for WvWvW.

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

I hate the idea of Ascended gear.I hate the idea of being lied to even more.

For shame, AN.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Look…. The new gear is maybe 1 or 2 points better than the current exotic level, if yoyu check carefully the items are exotic stats with exotic upgrades already applied. the infusion will not give stat upgrades it is to counteract the agony that prevents you from delving deeper into the dungeon. So please stop all this raging everyone

+1 This needs to be stickied and so much of this forum rage will go away.

You can augment your current gear and you will have better stats than the Ascended gear.

Uhh for the Ascended ring they showed, it was +5 power, +5 precision and +3% magic find better than an exotic ring with its exotic upgrade. And this is before the additional infusion upgrade. Don’t forget that each % of magic find is equivalent to a lot more of other stats.

Now multiply that boost by all your slots.

Currently we don’t know what the infusion stats do though, do we? I might have missed that if they were leaked, but afaik they could be something as simple as an increase in percentage against agony, rather than a physical stat increase. And it’s only the rarer items that will have this anyway.

If it’s a straight up stat increase then i’ll change my stance, but if it’s purely to make the dungeon ‘easier’ (which I truly believe will be the case) then that’s ok.

edit: also they might throw some new craftable upgrades into the mix for current gear.

Posted by: Cerol Brisingr.1893

Cerol Brisingr.1893

If they would just leave away the increased stats…
In that case, no one not doing that Dungeon would be affected and I would certainly not mind them doing comparable stuff in the future. I mean, at least stepping into any new dungeon could be done without having seen the last new one at no cost – something I took for granted when I decided to play this game.

And for those who say that these changes are close to nothing: you have 6 Armor slots, 1-2 Weapons, 2 Rings, 1 Amulet, 1 Backpack, and even 2 more slots.. things sum up.

They just lose most built up trust by this (at least as far as I am concerned).

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Just give me the option to buy it with real money, and let the dungeon-grind-lovers do their dungeons. It’s understandable that A-net is afraid of losing the dungeon loving customer segment.

I vote for just letting me buy it with cash. I have more money than time for this type of activity.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

1.) Acended ring kill jewelry crafting.

Wrong. Actually the opposite. Plz reread Linsey´s article.

2.) It is not “just” one ring or one backslot. It’s a beginning of new Tier gears.

Wrong. New Tier means higher stats, which they won´t be.

3.) Agony/Infusion mechanic means — if your equipment sux (you do not have enough acended gears), then you are not allowed to do those new dungeons.

Somewhat right. You need Infusion to survive lower levels. The whole point of this Dungeon. So don´t go there.

4.) It forces you to grind if you want better gears for WvW or if you want to be qualified for the harder dungeons.

Wrong. Infusion is for Fractal Dungeon only, useless in PvP.

5.) Old contents/gears become less useful or even become completely useless.

Wrong. Old gear is actually better as it´s more flexible due to the free upgrade slot.

6.) All these mean whenever Anet pushes a new future, you’ll need to grind new Tier gears again and again.

Only if you need to see the bottom of an endless Dungeon.

Then I guess you need to find another game indeed.

[/quote]

Polish > hype

Posted by: Akana.1465

Akana.1465

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

What happened?

Posted by: soothingvapors.8564

soothingvapors.8564

No, no, no.

I came to GW2 from WoW because I was tired of the gear treadmill. I’m not going to stick around if Anet insists on introducing it here.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

I couldn’t vote simply because…. I don’t know how these Ascended stuff and Infusion work yet. I don’t want to assume if I haven’t played them first.

GAMERS play the game then review. RAGE QUITTING just because of speculations is totally meaningless. Lol.

I’m going to try the new thing first then see how it affects the gameplay and what people are ASSUMING here are true.

Then I’m going to vote after that, OKAY?

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

so for you its good if Gw2 become a pay to win? absolutely no! kitten /p>

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: everydaygamer.2613

everydaygamer.2613

here is the perfect solution. when you complete the dungeon the first time you get one piece of the ascended gear. when you complete it the second time you get the other piece. therefore you get the gear needed to progress deeper without the gear grind.

Posted by: Spryt.8012

Spryt.8012

1.) Acended ring kill jewelry crafting.
2.) It is not “just” one ring or one backslot. It’s a beginning of new Tier gears.
3.) Agony/Infusion mechanic means — if your equipment sux (you do not have enough acended gears), then you are not allowed to do those new dungeons.
4.) It forces you to grind if you want better gears for WvW or if you want to be qualified for the harder dungeons.
5.) Old contents/gears become less useful or even become completely useless.
6.) All these mean whenever Anet pushes a new future, you’ll need to grind new Tier gears again and again.

Ok, i dont think you really grasped the mechanics we’re getting.

You can run the whole dungeon without any ascended gear, its not needed for any of the content or rewards. when you have completed the dungeon you have the option of doing it again, on a harder difficulty. If you like this instance you will run if often and get ascended gear to run it even more cycles on harder and harder difficulty. if you dont like it you can ignore it and wait for the next dungeon.

But people will run it to get best gear. Then when next dungeon comes they need to make it challenging. So they set the entry bar slightly higher so you need at least 1 piece of ascended gear with infusion. No big deal most have 1 piece. And then next dungeon most have 2 pieces and so on… Once eveyone has infusion in all slots next stat will come called critical infusion mitigation…

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

The feeling of betrayal really is one of the worst parts of this. We were told time and time again that this is a thing that would never happen, that the developers understood that we hated this and that they hated this too. And then, less than three months in, here it is.

This, that was the whole point of this game, if you want gear progression there are other games for that.. (several which I also play) I’m done here, “fool me once” etc.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

NO

Not excited at all. They better stop this "please everyone" crap and stick to their freakin manifesto.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Where do they say that Ascended armour takes a thousand hours to get?

When he says you need a set of legendaries to enter Ascalonian Catacombs, then you can ask what happened.

(edited by Kana.6793)

Posted by: Drevik.2408

Drevik.2408

No, I do not want new items that will affect WvWvW.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

And just when the elections and polling was over, they come back again!!

For the love of human kind please stop!!!

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

What happened?

So far nothing happened actually.
But in a few days we’ll know if anything is about to happen to that principle or not…

For now the communication, as usual, is too vague to know what the heck they are about to do in detail.
The wording they used can be twisted any way anyone wants, as if they want things to be misinterpreted.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

/signed

A short repeatable quest that turns exotic gear into ascended gear without any extra cost. Just go there, collect some stuff, go back to a NPC and have all your gear transformed into ascended gear with infusion slot. Then got to te next NPC to get those infusions. All in all it shouldn’t take more than 5 or maby 10 minutes.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: naka.8457

naka.8457

Since Gear does affect WvWvW and this +stats on the new gear x 6 is BIG it’s not optional anymore if u get this gear or not. So ppl stop say: u only need this gear for the dungeon.

Beside why we rage is this:

Mike O’Brien :
“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs”.

Today’s Blogpost:
“The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative.”

GW1 entertained me 7 years without any of this kitten! I bought this game with the advertise and promise to not have this grind kitten.

If I feel grindy – I play something else, then:

I’ll just go back to aion, if i have to grind for gear might as well grind for a good looking one

I at least want then to grind for good looking stuff….
the look of 90% of the legendary weapons are so ugly or silly that there is no word describing it. There are by far more good looking staffs in GW1 as example which I can get in no time. Especially the staff-skins in GW2 are rly to puke over. There are tons of amazing Skins in GW1 – like the BDS. Now ArenaNet would have the chance to bring new nice skins (like the had with FOW as example). What they do? Not skins they focuse – stats they focus. Defaq.

ArenaNet be ashamed

Posted by: axiology.5807

axiology.5807

Look…. The new gear is maybe 1 or 2 points better than the current exotic level, if yoyu check carefully the items are exotic stats with exotic upgrades already applied. the infusion will not give stat upgrades it is to counteract the agony that prevents you from delving deeper into the dungeon. So please stop all this raging everyone

You can augment your current gear and you will have better stats than the Ascended gear.

Uhh for the Ascended ring they showed, it was +5 power, +5 precision and +3% magic find better than an exotic ring with its exotic upgrade. And this is before the additional infusion upgrade. Don’t forget that each % of magic find is equivalent to a lot more of other stats.

Currently we don’t know what the infusion stats do though, do we? I might have missed that if they were leaked, but afaik they could be something as simple as an increase in percentage against agony, rather than a physical stat increase. And it’s only the rarer items that will have this anyway.

If it’s a straight up stat increase then i’ll change my stance, but if it’s purely to make the dungeon ‘easier’ (which I truly believe will be the case) then that’s ok.

edit: also they might throw some new craftable upgrades into the mix for current gear.

Even without the infusion stat increase, Ascended items are objectively better than exotic items with exotic upgrades. And not by 1 or 2 points.

I’ll be very glad if they throw in craftable upgrades for current gear. Having multiple options to attain the same tier of gear (like the current exotic system) is always good, and this would keep existing gear and existing dungeons relevant.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

No, no gear gate. This will be the beginning of the end for this game. People who hate treadmills will leave and people who like them will go back to WoW like they always do.

Posted by: Crackbone.5710

Crackbone.5710

Where are the thousands of hours?

Bottom line, ArenaNet needs to keep people playing. It’s obvious if you read between the lines with this entire update that their current course wasn’t going to pay the bills over time.

Plans change and reality has a way of making ideas fall back to earth.

I suggest that if you enjoy Guild Wars 2 whatsoever, you embrace these changes.

They might just be what keeps Guild Wars 2 afloat for many years to come.

Posted by: bamono.7098

bamono.7098

Yeah um…people talking about getting to the “end” of the dungeon….it doesn’t end. You won’t be locked out of content. You can’t upgrade asc gear with upgrades. You can easily out stat most of it with upgrades if that ring is any indication.

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

What makes you think acquiring these new items will be a grind? He’s arguing about weapons being more powerful based on someone putting hundreds of hours into getting them.

If these new weapons can be acquired in a couple of hours, what’s the problem? The whole point of ‘grinding’ for stuff is to differentiate between the hardcore and the casual. If the casual can easily get this new gear – what is there to worry about?

Posted by: Tyrfang.1709

Tyrfang.1709

No thanks.
I took a break from the game and waited for new content.

I don’t want to come back and gear grind.

Kimbald.2697

Where do they say that Ascended armour takes a thousand hours to get?

even if it would only take an hour, it could still be a gear progression that they promised not to do.

But as my above post says: the wording on it all is just to vague to know what they are about to do in detail.

2 days, than we’ll know if they are true to their word or not.

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

In a couple of months when all the “hardcore” grinders have their Ascended gear, A-net will reveal some even more powerful gear, which we’ll also have to get to compete in WvWvW. And in 6 months some even more powerful gear etc etc etc

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

I couldn’t vote simply because…. I don’t know how these Ascended stuff and Infusion work yet. I don’t want to assume if I haven’t played them first.

GAMERS play the game then review. RAGE QUITTING just because of speculations is totally meaningless. Lol.

I’m going to try the new thing first then see how it affects the gameplay and what people are ASSUMING here are true.

Then I’m going to vote after that, OKAY?

But haven’t you heard? Knee jerk reactions are the in thing now!!

Posted by: Bhelliom.5324

Bhelliom.5324

Well it just shows that we shouldn’t listen to a word they say…

All trust lost…

Posted by: krs.7520

krs.7520

The one question we really havent got an answer to,

“Will the dungeons after fractal mist need gear of ascended quality to complete even on the first run/cycle?”

If the answer is Yes there are two possibilities, either each dungeon brings better and better gear, or ascended has fixed level stats just like all other items have at the moment

If the answer is No, then there arent any thread-mill to talk about as the gear needed to progress is gained by that progress. If you only want to experience the content it will be 100% as doable in exotic gear.

So for the “threadmill” to be real we need to both assume the answer is Yes and that ascended gear will progress in stats, neither assumptions have a basis in reality as for now.

I believe, and hope, that all new dungeons will have the first cycles tuned to exotic quality. Its a brilliant idea giving gear-progress to only those that want it, and the gear-progress is only really usable inside the dungeons.

Posted by: BadHealer.3608

BadHealer.3608

I don’t understand why so much rage.

If you see numbers, you’ll see that item progr. is null. I mean:

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-ES.png
Ascended ring: Base of exotic stats + extra stats from jewel / Infussion slot that would NOT give you extra stats instead of AGONY RESISTANCE.
Exotic ring: Base of exotic stats/ Extra stats from jewel

What’s the difference between those 2 rings when ascended ring is UNIQUE equipment? +5 power + 5 precission? WOW, I’M INVINCIBLE!

Sorry, but am I’m the only one that sees:
+50, +50, +10%, +18, +18 + Open slot on ascended
+48, +48, +3% + filled slot on the uniquie

That are +136 stats and 10% against 96 stats + 3% making this item around 33% better. I wouldn’t call this a slight increase.

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

Yes, I love the new ascended items

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Even without the infusion stat increase, Ascended items are objectively better than exotic items with exotic upgrades. And not by 1 or 2 points.

I’ll be very glad if they throw in craftable upgrades for current gear. Having multiple options to attain the same tier of gear (like the current exotic system) is always good, and this would keep existing gear and existing dungeons relevant.

Absolutely – everything i’m saying atm is based on my own assumption that there will be craftable upgrades for current gear that will at the very least equal the current stat increase on the Ascended gear as shown in the comparison piece.

They just need to be 2-3 points better across the board and I think people will be appeased by this, for the most part. Especially crafters ^^

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

no. i hate being lied to. i hate being duped and scammed,. i bought this game because it was sold as never going to have this. i might as well go play games that do dungeons much better now if i’m going to play a wow clone.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

You knew for the very start what game where you buying, why the rage now :S

I know I bought a game that announced no gear progression.

Kimbald.2697

In a couple of months when all the “hardcore” grinders have their Ascended gear, A-net will reveal some even more powerful gear, which we’ll also have to get to compete in WvWvW. And in 6 months some even more powerful gear etc etc etc

WvWvW is pvp, it should follow the same principle as spvp: equal stats, traits and gear for all!

Would solve the biggest issue for a possible gear progression.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

If they have stat bonuses then Anet has made the gear train many do not want. Also if they want to give a wall that surpasses the legendary wall it’s going to be a hell of a long time before 95% of the population attain it.

I’m ok with a couple of power/precision difference shown in the pic, with an upgrade that is dungeon specific in use.

Its not dungeon specific in use, it is, and I quote: “Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.”

And for agony: “Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them.” Which means the top ascended gears will have a lot more stats with infusion plus agony resistance.

Posted by: Ney Matogrosso.5736

Ney Matogrosso.5736

For me, the introduction of agony and all the new itens are a bad thing. I’ll explain, first of all, in a long time range, the new itens will take several impact in the economy of the game and the Dungeons it self.
In the economy issue, the new itens, even being a little more powerfull are more powerfull and just this fact will be enought to rise the prices of the new and reduce the price of the old and all people that invest your time and money to aquire the itens to sold in the market will be prejudice.
For the Dungeons, they will be visited by less persons, one time that the itens (in the future) will be less powerfull than that aquired in the new DG and this will be terrible, people only lay the DG for the silver or for the Skin, but will be obligated to farm the new DG to gain the itens and this is bad.
One other issue is: If Anet re worried about people doing legendary weapons so fast, why change their politics (the aesthetic) making Legendary easier to aquire and make than more powerfull? This sound a little strange to me, why not even make the new itens only Aesthetic and not powerfull and make the possibility to infuse our current itens.
I’m really disapointed with ANET, they going to the bad side of the Wow expansions when a new iten change everything (of course in a different scale).

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

Honestly, I can understand ascended armor and the agony mechanic. What I cant understand, is making them have higher stats then exotics. They are on the right track with infusions and minimizing a dungeon only mechanic but they are way off base by affecting the rest of the game with it.

IF ascended only meant agony reduction
1. Other dungeons and thier armor would still be relevant in both reward and difficulty.
2. Wv3 would be unaffected (even though it still has its own problems with gear scaling)
3. They would give themselves a way to ramp up an endgame like some players want by using mechanics such as agony gating or even other unseen types.

Honestly if this ships with this ammount of negativity towards it. Ill be amazed.

Posted by: PhiLL.1746

PhiLL.1746

What the hell happened, Mike O’Brien?

Posted by: Crackbone.5710

Crackbone.5710

And this is precisely what keeps people playing in a game such as this.

Let’s cut to the chase. This isn’t the original Guild Wars. People need character progression. As it stands, progression is pretty thin at the end.

ArenaNet needs people to continue to play. If people don’t play, Guild Wars 2 goes away.

It’s really not rocket science. It’s business. I sincerely believe ANet wanted to have little to no gear progression outside of the expansions, however, they see the writing on the wall. People hit cap and get bored. Bored people have a habit of going other places to play… They also rarely come back.

Problem is, you need these people to fund the game.

Posted by: ekimsfree.9406

ekimsfree.9406

You don’t need ascended gear to do the dungeon, how is that not clear? You only need it to progress fully into it and you obtain the accessories as you go along. Very Simple.

Posted by: vysaek.8290

vysaek.8290

You knew for the very start what game where you buying, why the rage now :S

I know I bought a game that announced no gear progression.

Then you expected to have the same stats over 80 levels no matter the gear? That IS gear progression. Even Gw1 had it.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

"This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content."

kitten me...

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

So, before people judge, let’s experience it ourselves first and then prove if ANet really betrayed their manifesto. I understand why the devs are silent, because they don’t want to spoil the whole thing. Surprise, surprise.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

All I can say is I hated dealing with agony in GW1…….yay now having it here……great. Besides that maybe if dungeons were not so boring/inconsistent and what seems a race for everyone (you know what I mean, everyone just wants to run past everything to get to the end!) then maybe I would be looking forward to this more.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I just got several crafts to level 400. Now I can’t sue them to make the best equipment? Why did I waste all that time and money doing it then?

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Please …

The game is young, and it is our ideas and voices that make it evolution. This is a well organized and we support new ideas and suggestions to make beautiful addons!
And it is up to us to support their creativity, the developers. Test Tests and they try to make us happy. So certe, you can react. Aggresser but does not serve our Ideos.

Stop complaining!
If you had a little more involved proposals bulking pve … If you took the time to read the site to add, again and again, things that are almost all the same …
If you answered a constructive things …

The devs would perhaps not look at complaints about the equipment, and the frequency enhance stats.
Have emerged and new skins, new zones, new dungeons strategies.

I am very happy with the update. But I am upset that the developers do not go looking the opinions of hardcore gamers!

Of course we are ennuit, but it is not new stats that will change things.

It’s beautiful things as events, entries zones as you put it online! This is the centaurs envahirraient the human capital if not defend the outposts. It’s evolution in cities principals, things that change or add, or have seen the game evolve.

But I request everyone. Calm down, please. This patch still promises great adventures. More’s hoped that I loved they create even more powerful armor. And never put up levels.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)