Poll to remove Daily Achivement Cap?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

I put my hands up for this. Remove the cap I will be doing every single daily for ap!!!

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

- Remove Current Daily Achievement Cap and retroactively award daily achievement points withheld from players who have hit the cap.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I dont think Anet could do that easily without going through all the logs. When they merged the 10k daily cap and the 5k monthly cap, it did not give you any AP retroactively. So the game most likely does not even keep track of them.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

My last post on this, and this is just my opinion, but I can certainly speak for myself. If the achievement cap is not increased, there will be fewer people playing the game.

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

I don’t really think raising the cap would work, if it was raised from 15 000 to 20 000 then people would be happy till they reach that then ask for it to be raised again.
How about after 15 000 increasing the number of dailies you need to do to get Completionist? You get it for 3/12. How about have it after you get to 15 000 Daily AP you need 6/12 for the AP, maybe have it in 2 tiers, the 2 gold and spirit shards at 3/12, the AP at 6/12. Kind of removing the cap but making you do more to get the AP after hitting 15 000.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

New players will never catch up on AP. There are too many AP points that can no longer be acquired.

Actually aside from festivals (and a couple of weird ones like removing the jp in LA) there are no temporary achievements anymore in the game. I’d rather they give us a way of getting the LS1 achievements first before any daily cap is removed.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

New players will never catch up on AP. There are too many AP points that can no longer be acquired.

Actually aside from festivals (and a couple of weird ones like removing the jp in LA) there are no temporary achievements anymore in the game. I’d rather they give us a way of getting the LS1 achievements first before any daily cap is removed.

Yup, or just giving us more achievements in general that awarded AP as generously as LWS1 achievements did.

Posted by: zcearo.1897

zcearo.1897

i didnt get the daily every day because there is a cap and i can get it later . if cap is removed i will need a time machine to get my days back so i can do them .

edit in case its un clear , i would vote to not remove the cap if there was ever a poll on this , witch i highly doubt there ever will be .

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Why not remove the cap for players that agree to have their name permanently removed from the leaderboard? No going back, period.
This would allow those who enjoy the activity to continue as they choose and nobody would have to worry about leaderboard ground gain.

Malediktus.3740

Why not remove the cap for players that agree to have their name permanently removed from the leaderboard? No going back, period.
This would allow those who enjoy the activity to continue as they choose and nobody would have to worry about leaderboard ground gain.

Because of the achievement chest rewards, your suggestion would only work if they would also forfeit those.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

Because of the achievement chest rewards, your suggestion would only work if they would also forfeit those.

Are you saying that the Achievement chests are tied to your Leaderboard position? Because the two are completely separate things.

Malediktus.3740

Are you saying that the Achievement chests are tied to your Leaderboard position? Because the two are completely separate things.

No, but simply forfeiting the leaderboard is not enough to me, you should also have to forfeit progress to the achievement point skins and titles to not devalue them.
It would not be fair if those people who want those 3650 extra AP per year get the prestige stuff potentially years earlier just because they opted out of something they do not care about (according to earlier posters in this topic).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

No, but simply forfeiting the leaderboard is not enough to me, you should also have to forfeit progress to the achievement point skins and titles to not devalue them.
It would not be fair if those people who want those 3650 extra AP per year get the prestige stuff potentially years earlier just because they opted out of something they do
not care about (according to earlier posters in this topic).

Being in the top % of the leaderboards isn’t prestigious enough for the highest rankers?

The skins aren’t that prestigious. You hardly ever see anyone use them anyway so it doesn’t matter if someone gets them before the Leaderboard people.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

It would not be fair if those people who want those 3650 extra AP per year get the prestige stuff potentially years earlier just because they opted out of something they do not care about (according to earlier posters in this topic).

What would be the point of earning AP if you can’t get the only thing they’re actually useful for?

Stop arguing in bad faith and/or being a selfish jerk, whichever is the case here.

OriOri.8724

What would be the point of earning AP if you can’t get the only thing they’re actually useful for?

Stop arguing in bad faith and/or being a selfish jerk, whichever is the case here.

No, Malediktus is correct on this. Besides, a large majority of the AP in the game should be from permanent achievements, not from dailies. The game shouldn’t be in a state where people feel forced (or in a few rare situations are almost forced) to grind dailies for 10 ap a day to get a new reward chest every 50 days. More perm achievements would solve that problem, while also giving something to do to the people who have already hit the cap on dailies

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

So I didn’t know about this cap or about the one on Agent of Entropy until reading this thread, since I’d gone on hiatus back when it first announced. I’m nowhere near capped on the first and close to capped on the second, for the sake of transparency.

Having found out now about this, my reaction is that the caps should be removed. To me that seems like it’s just obviously a bad business decision: ANet has created a system of internal reward in the game that’s particularly Pavlovian: you do certain things, you get a reward and a little bell rings to reinforce it, and you come back again and again for that stimulation. Remove the reward and the bell will eventually become meaningless, and the motivation to return for the stimulation drops off. This is basic behavioral science.

Having the achievements on the daily and repeatable things like Agent of Entropy gives players that Pavlovian motivation to continue to play, at minimal or only contingent effect on the economy. Taking that away is bad for business. This seems like a duh to me.

It’s especially absurd to take it away only from people who have proven loyalty to the product. When has that ever been a good business decision, to remove rewards for customer loyalty???

ANet needs to stop restricting play in this game because of players who cry because they fear someone else is getting something too good. That’s so childish, it rules these forums in every game mode, and I’m really sick of it. How is it really going to affect me or my game play that some other dude has way more achievement points than I do because he’s addicted to dailies and plays when I don’t? Short answer: it’s not.

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Bridget Morrigan:

The daily cap might simply be due to ANet’s philosophy on the purpose of AP points. They may feel that it would be undesirable to have the majority of AP coming from tasks as simple as those offered for dailies. In other words, they may want those who’ve gone above and beyond the dailies to have something to show for it. It may not matter to you, but it likely matters to a whole slew of players that like the notion of having something to show for their extra effort.

I happen to be at the cap, and am also not a particularly aggressive AP hunter, but I think for those that really go after them, they deserve bragging rights over, as you put it, “some other dude” that’s just gained theirs mostly through dailies.

Perhaps when ANet feels there is a sufficient amount of non-daily AP vs daily cap AP available to meet whatever ratio they might want, the cap may be raised. Unless I’m entirely wrong on ANet’s philosophy, they have some other mysterious goal in mind, or they change the AP system overall, I highly doubt they’ll ever uncap daily AP entirely.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

So I didn’t know about this cap or about the one on Agent of Entropy until reading this thread, since I’d gone on hiatus back when it first announced. I’m nowhere near capped on the first and close to capped on the second, for the sake of transparency.

Having found out now about this, my reaction is that the caps should be removed. To me that seems like it’s just obviously a bad business decision: ANet has created a system of internal reward in the game that’s particularly Pavlovian: you do certain things, you get a reward and a little bell rings to reinforce it, and you come back again and again for that stimulation. Remove the reward and the bell will eventually become meaningless, and the motivation to return for the stimulation drops off. This is basic behavioral science.

Having the achievements on the daily and repeatable things like Agent of Entropy gives players that Pavlovian motivation to continue to play, at minimal or only contingent effect on the economy. Taking that away is bad for business. This seems like a duh to me.

So are we really comparing players to Pavlovian beasts that are easily manipulated? While that might be the case in many scenarios, it would seem to be only a duh if said business had zero respect for humanity.

That comes across as too cynical even for me.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The daily cap might simply be due to ANet’s philosophy on the purpose of AP points. They may feel that it would be undesirable to have the majority of AP coming from tasks as simple as those offered for dailies. In other words, they may want those who’ve gone above and beyond the dailies to have something to show for it. It may not matter to you, but it likely matters to a whole slew of players that like the notion of having something to show for their extra effort.

I happen to be at the cap, and am also not a particularly aggressive AP hunter, but I think for those that really go after them, they deserve bragging rights over, as you put it, “some other dude” that’s just gained theirs mostly through dailies.

ANet may or may not have such a philosophy. If they do, they might be shooting themselves in the foot. The best thing for an MMO company is to give as many people as possible more things to do in the game, and thus more reasons to play. There are 1000 players within 5000 points of the AP leaders. There were 1.5 million active accounts just pre HoT. While it may be that few of those accounts are at cap, we don’t really know, do we? Nor do we know whether the cap demotivates anyone, or if it does, how many are affected. It might be a few, it might be many more than 1K. As time goes on, the likelihood it might affect more people increases.

As to bragging rights… well, there are plenty of other things available to brag about in GW2. PvE busywork ought not to be one of them. If more than 1% of the achievements were anything other than time spent, I might feel differently.

But, here’s an idea. Divorce the rewards chests from AP completely. Move them to repeatable reward track for PvE like the PvP/WvW reward tracks. Then remove daily AP completely. If AP is supposed to be about prestige, it doesn’t need to be about rewards. The kicker is that completionists/AP pursuers would be likely to fill those reward tracks faster anyway, so they might not even lose anything.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: nanael the angel.2659

nanael the angel.2659

Will have to agree totally with the OP, Heibi.4251 here.
I do not care about AP but I would not mind getting the skins faster. For me and many others coming from gw1, gw2 is all about cosmetics and dressing up your character, and I am tired of having a bunch of people with an awful lot of free time at their disposal, and insecurity issues dictate how everything should be almost unattainable by the general player base, just so they can keep their self-imposed bragging rights.

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

Will have to agree totally with the OP, Heibi.4251 here.
I do not care about AP but I would not mind getting the skins faster. For me and many others coming from gw1, gw2 is all about cosmetics and dressing up your character, and I am tired of having a bunch of people with an awful lot of free time at their disposal, and insecurity issues dictate how everything should be almost unattainable by the general player base, just so they can keep their self-imposed bragging rights.

Removing the daily AP cap would make long term AP rewards even more unattainable than they are now. This is because players who are not at the cap now have no way of catching up. Sure, they may be able to get all of the current rewards eventually, but then Anet will have to add new ones and at some point those will be unobtainable for anyone who doesn’t log in every single day.

The only way to get around this would be to make it so that there is a catch-up mechanism, or else you are trading one form of exclusivity for another.

maddoctor.2738

I do not care about AP but I would not mind getting the skins faster.

That wouldn’t be a problem if the skins from the APs were fixed but they are not. The moment you get to the skin you “want” some more will appear for you to go after, there is no cap to the Achievement point total. It doesn’t work like a reward track that you fill and get the rewards and then you are done, it’s an endless progression.

Posted by: nanael the angel.2659

nanael the angel.2659

Depends on how it is handled actually.
Say one can get the skins at 20k AP WITH the cap, having to make due with 2 points here, 3 points there.
Then after the cap is lifted, they can earn say 10+10… points and reach that certain “checkpoint” faster.
Hence it does speed up the process, though I agree that as anet keeps adding more skins and the limits are lifted, then things would get harder to get those new skins requiring more AP.
Here’s the thing though, they can just let people finish the existing 2 sets of armors and weapons and whatever and then simply add the gold+karma+laurels+some similar rewards chests, and stop time-gating skins.
AP hunters will still hunt for APs and people will still do the stuff for gold,or laurels or gems and so on. In other words the progress would be sped up for the foreseeable future, and anything added beyond that would simply yield more gold, laurels, gems etc to those who constantly hunt AP, in other words a reward for their effort and dedication, as well as things anyone can get via other methods.

Would rather have a game full of alternatives to keep as many as possible happy, than yet another game with “one way for all , and all have to adapt to that one way”

(PS. Even if they were to keep adding skins, sure one would have more and more skins they’d want, BUT they’d also keep getting each individual skin faster too, which would still offer new wardrobe unlocks more and more often than currently)

(edited by nanael the angel.2659)

maddoctor.2738

Then after the cap is lifted, they can earn say 10+10… points and reach that certain “checkpoint” faster.

The problem is, it becomes a reward only for those who do the daily each day since release. In other words, the company will be making new rewards only for players who are doing dailies every day and never skip any for any reason, which creates even more exclusion than the current system ever will. And if anyone says: in a few years everyone will get them, by the point they get those rewards new ones will be in the game, making it practically impossible to catch up or even acquire the latest skins in your lifetime.

Although, if they did indeed stop releasing new skins with the Hellfire/Radiant sets and keep the Achievement rewards only as other rewards then I guess it could work without a cap.

Posted by: Ele Lady.6103

Ele Lady.6103

This thread again. There’s no need to remove the daily cap, as it keeps the leaderboards somewhat interesting, or if it was to be removed, the leaderboards should be sorted by permanent AP value. It also retains some prestige on achievement reward skins. Anet should rather add more achievements to the game, than raise the cap.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

No. Do not remove the cap…..

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure I understand what removing/not removing the cap has to do with ArenaNet creating more rewards. Those that have been/are acquiring all/most available APs will still create the need for new/more rewards, whether there is a cap or not.

If even just one person collects the furthest possible reward, more will need to be offered; or, skin-type rewards discontinued. It doesn’t matter how many players hit that point, or how fast the majority hits that point.

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

This thread again. There’s no need to remove the daily cap, as it keeps the leaderboards somewhat interesting, or if it was to be removed, the leaderboards should be sorted by permanent AP value. It also retains some prestige on achievement reward skins. Anet should rather add more achievements to the game, than raise the cap.

Like anyone ever cares about leaderboards except malediktus, lol. AP from daily was only thing that was kept me logging daily. Now I literally don’t care, except doing stuff with guildies once per week. And I’m not alone.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

OriOri.8724

Like anyone ever cares about leaderboards except malediktus, lol. AP from daily was only thing that was kept me logging daily. Now I literally don’t care, except doing stuff with guildies once per week. And I’m not alone.

Honestly if dailies were the only thing that kept you logging in then its time to find another game. The game is kittening huge, with lots of stuff to do, and if none of it interests you or excites you, if you don’t enjoy doing any of it then you need a new game. And if dailies are the only reason you logged in then it meant that nothing in the game was enjoyable to you. You are just completing dailies because you need something to grind but won’t grind something like 250k kills in PvP or giant slayer.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Honestly if dailies were the only thing that kept you logging in then its time to find another game. The game is kittening huge, with lots of stuff to do, and if none of it interests you or excites you, if you don’t enjoy doing any of it then you need a new game. And if dailies are the only reason you logged in then it meant that nothing in the game was enjoyable to you. You are just completing dailies because you need something to grind but won’t grind something like 250k kills in PvP or giant slayer.

This is an unfair comment really, I do dailies everyday then go farm the new maps, help guildies, doing fractals, then jump in WvW for a couple of hours, but when my daily is capped in 4 days, I wont bother with any of it, sure if a friend asks me to jump on and help with something I will, but other than that I wont bother, I wont support anet via the gemstore nothing, I wont play because im being restricted and stonewalled because im an active players who has supported Anet for over 10 years now, so in your own words, yes I will go find another game to invest in, but you see it as 1 person, when I stop playing, people who play on TS with me everyday will also leave, so 1 person leaving could end up being 5 or 6 people, it snowballs fairly fast, ive seen this many times over the last 2 years with other friend/guilds, I have a friend who hasn’t played in 6 months now due to the cap, he logs in for 5 seconds everyday to get the daily log in rewards then logs out, that’s hardly what anet wants for the game is it, ( maybe it is )

If there was enough AP between the content droughts this game is now suffereing, it really wouldn’t be so much of an issue, but the fact is there are not, so in order for me to get that next armor skin/weapon skin from the AP chests I have to wait months, while someone who doesn’t log in everyday, or is super causal can continue,

This topic has been ignored and all other topics on this matters for nearly a year now, there own support told me to keep posting on the forums and or reddit until a dev replies, as they have no control over what Anet do, but its really a waste of time.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I think the cap should remain personally. In fact, I would have said that dailies should not have given achievement points in the first place. All it does is create this unnecessary gap between new players and older players based on the amount of time spent in game, which the new players would never be able to close through any amount of effort or skill (unless the older players stop playing entirely).

We should be rewarding skill itself and encourage the idea of having fun in games overcoming challenges, rather than rewarding players for undertaking menial, boring tasks for a set amount of days/months/years. We already have birthday rewards and titles to show off how long we’ve been playing, and if push comes to shove, they could add titles for specific amounts of hours spent if people are really that desperate to feel important (though that seems a bit overboard to me). But achievements should be just that, something you achieve through skill and effort, not something that lands in your lap simply from logging in every day. All that does is turn gamers into zombies.

On a note about the armor skins you get through achievements, I think that entire system is ludicrous. Imagine you’re a new player coming into the game, you see this nice armor set you want, and then realize you’d need to commit years to getting it at least. As someone who has been playing almost since launch, I still don’t have a full set of Hellfire or Radiant armor, and I’ve done event achievements from LS1 to current, along with seasonal events, dailies and, once upon a time, monthlies as well.

Veterans can harp on about standing out and being noticed for their commitment all they like, but as a veteran myself, I feel sorry for new players and even older veterans who have had less time to play than I have, because they are messed around by a system implemented by people who seem to have forgotten that games are meant to be fun and rewarding experiences for everyone, not just a select minority. It’s even worse now because we don’t get event content as often and so earning achievements has become slower than ever for newer players.

(edited by Tenrai Senshi.2017)

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

This is an unfair comment really, I do dailies everyday then go farm the new maps, help guildies, doing fractals, then jump in WvW for a couple of hours, but when my daily is capped in 4 days, I wont bother with any of it, sure if a friend asks me to jump on and help with something I will, but other than that I wont bother, I wont support anet via the gemstore nothing, I wont play because im being restricted and stonewalled because im an active players who has supported Anet for over 10 years now, so in your own words, yes I will go find another game to invest in, but you see it as 1 person, when I stop playing, people who play on TS with me everyday will also leave, so 1 person leaving could end up being 5 or 6 people, it snowballs fairly fast, ive seen this many times over the last 2 years with other friend/guilds, I have a friend who hasn’t played in 6 months now due to the cap, he logs in for 5 seconds everyday to get the daily log in rewards then logs out, that’s hardly what anet wants for the game is it, ( maybe it is )

If there was enough AP between the content droughts this game is now suffereing, it really wouldn’t be so much of an issue, but the fact is there are not, so in order for me to get that next armor skin/weapon skin from the AP chests I have to wait months, while someone who doesn’t log in everyday, or is super causal can continue,

This topic has been ignored and all other topics on this matters for nearly a year now, there own support told me to keep posting on the forums and or reddit until a dev replies, as they have no control over what Anet do, but its really a waste of time.

No, it is a completely fair comment. If the only reason a person logs on is dailies then why bother logging in at all. chasing a carrot is fine, chasing a carrot just to be chasing something isn’t.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

My poll vote: the cap should remain in place

The dailies are rewarding even when at the achievement point cap. This makes the achievement point maximums deterministic and is a tool to balance the distribution of point sources in the total.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Simple solution:
Give the people who have hit the cap in levels a title:
80%: Heroic Adventurer
85%: Achieving Hero
90%: Overachieving Heroic Adventurer
95%: Overachieving Champion
100%: Overachieving Legendary Hero

then remove the cap:
People who hit cap: congratulations, you have permanent honor no one can take away from you anymore. Other people can continue having fun collecting the rewards from achievements

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

no

gsfgjskfhkj

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

I just want them to stop being so darn stingy with the achievement points. A rare collection giving 3 points? What’s up with that?

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

They should never have given AP for dailies in the first place. Keep the cap, as that puts an eventual end to their mistake.

This

OriOri.8724

You just reinforced my point. You don’t get any pleasure from the game other than dailies. You claim that you do, by stating that after dailies you will help other people in your guild. But then you immediately contradict that statement when you say that once you are capped on dailies you will stop logging in. If you truly enjoyed helping other players in this game more than doing dailies then you wouldn’t stop logging in when your daily AP was capped.

The fact is you are just like the first guy I quoted. You don’t find the game fun anymore. You just use dailies as a convenient excuse to keep logging on despite not enjoying the game as much as you used to.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I would personally like to see the cap removed.

An alternative would be to have the chests above 30-something thousand to come every 100 AP and not 500 AP.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

You just reinforced my point. You don’t get any pleasure from the game other than dailies. You claim that you do, by stating that after dailies you will help other people in your guild. But then you immediately contradict that statement when you say that once you are capped on dailies you will stop logging in. If you truly enjoyed helping other players in this game more than doing dailies then you wouldn’t stop logging in when your daily AP was capped.

The fact is you are just like the first guy I quoted. You don’t find the game fun anymore. You just use dailies as a convenient excuse to keep logging on despite not enjoying the game as much as you used to.

first guy comment?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I would prefer the limit either removed or shifted out every year. As I read someone say earlier, they basically just removed one reason/compulsion to do the dailies (AP) and replaced it with another (gold/spirit shards), so they might as well just put the original reason back in too.
New accounts will never catch up on the APs either (to the people who are still at the top playing and getting new ap as it comes out), since they don’t have access to any of the old LS S1 achievements, so the cap on dailies is pointless.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

OriOri.8724

first guy comment?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Poll-to-remove-Daily-Achivement-Cap/page/3#post6392248

Posted by: Tom.8029

Tom.8029

I think the daily is an important part of why people login every day. Without the extra achievement points, there’s less incentive to do the daily and, consequentially, it isn’t as enticing to do, unless all they want is the 2 gold and chests that come with the individual daily.

Sure there are plenty of things for people to do every day without the daily. But I do think the daily is important to keep places populated.

As someone who isn’t yet at the daily achievement points cap, I think removing the limit would be okay. There is the current issue, however, of what to do for the people who have been at the cap for a while and have done the daily without getting achievement points. Should they be compensated for missed achievement points? Should they be only awarded for all future dailies and forgo the past ones? I don’t know the answer to that.

As an aside, I will say that people who have been doing the daily longer than I have and have already reached the cap, the fact that they can no longer be awarded points while I still can has given me an opportunity to catch up to them. Without the daily, it does get more and more difficult to increase your achievement points, so rewards become fewer and further between.

Do I think the daily is something that should even reward achievement points? Yes.
While the daily isn’t composed of particularly difficult tasks, I to think it is warranted in rewarding something in particular: consistency and perseverance. The rewards from achievement points are long term goals and the daily provides a daily push to that goal. People who do the daily more often will reach those goals more quickly.

Will increasing the cap remove some of the prestige from reaching a high achievement point level? Yes.
While most will probably not agree with me, I believe achievement points are associated with a level of prestige. To have a lot of achievement points is to have participated in and completed a vast portion of the game because achievement points are awarded based on account progress, as achievement points can only be earned once until the achievement is complete. So increasing the daily cap will result in a higher number of those achievement points, which are difficult to obtain for frequent players, coming from the daily. Which are not associated with a difficult task. As a result, achievement points will seem like more of a diluted gauge. That is, until people reach the next cap, if the cap is increased instead of removed completely.

For example, say someone has 30k ap and 15k of that is from dailies. That still means that person has done enough in the game to give them 15k more ap from other aspects not involved in dailies. That is a lot of ap from the game and that player has mostly likely participated in a lot of the game’s content. If the daily cap is then increased to 30k ap and the player only has 30k ap, they might be dismissed as being carried by the daily, while not playing much else of the game.

Primordial Dragons [Drgn]
Fort Aspenwood Elementalist

OriOri.8724

Will increasing the cap remove some of the prestige from reaching a high achievement point level? Yes.
While most will probably not agree with me, I believe achievement points are associated with a level of prestige. To have a lot of achievement points is to have participated in and completed a vast portion of the game because achievement points are awarded based on account progress, as achievement points can only be earned once until the achievement is complete. So increasing the daily cap will result in a higher number of those achievement points, which are difficult to obtain for frequent players, coming from the daily. Which are not associated with a difficult task. As a result, achievement points will seem like more of a diluted gauge. That is, until people reach the next cap, if the cap is increased instead of removed completely.

This is a contradiction. High achievement points should be associated with having completed a large portion of the game and participated in lots of events/been playing a long time. But if the majority of the available AP are available from AP this could no longer the case. If you are allowed to get high AP solely from doing dailies then it completely defeats this association of having completed a lot of the game’s content for that AP. Currently, daily AP is capped at 15k points out of 33k points available. If it is buffed by even 33k it will become half of the available AP in the entire game. And many people are proposing to uncap it completely.

The best thing that could be done would be for ANet to introduce far more permanent achievements into the game that players can chase after for AP long after they are done with their dailies. By far the vast majority of available AP should come from doing something other than dailies, and when over 45% of available AP are from dailies this just isn’t the case.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m just wondering…

Do many players look up other players AP total? Are most players familiar with the skins associated with Achievement Chests? If there were no Daily AP cap, would anyone ever catch up to those who care about obtaining most/all APs? Is the game healthier/generate more income by ensuring prestige for the top 100 or, even, 1000 vs. enticements for the majority to keep logging in daily?

I’ve no idea, but things the Devs may consider, perhaps.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Great job telling other people how they feel. A+.

I do still enjoy the game, but I’ve gone from daily log-ins to around bi-weekly after hitting the cap. Longest I’ve gone without logging in at all was almost 2 months.

The thing is, the game is competing for my time. Being enjoyable is no big deal, many enjoyable activities vie for my attention. The game is just one of them. And it lost something that kept drawing my attention back to it. And in my experience with games, once you stop logging on regularly, you halfway gone forever.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I would prefer the limit either removed or shifted out every year.

The latter part of the statement is why I recommend the daily cap shift per day. It’s easy enough to code and enforces a soft cap. Definitely not 10/day, but 3/day to represent the three daily tasks needed to complete. Capped players still get to see progression from little tasks, but it’s not over-rewarding the effort either. Leaderboard won’t have to panic for daily AP. The daily still gives 10AP, but the cap shifts slower than that, so daily participation post-cap is once every three days or twice per week. It’d be easy to catch up even after a moderate absence.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

As I see it now, I have about 5 months left till the cap, and then anet doesn’t want me here anymore.

OriOri.8724

As I see it now, I have about 5 months left till the cap, and then anet doesn’t want me here anymore.

Way I see it, ANet wants people to actually do something in this game instead of play for 5 minutes and get 10 more AP.

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

Way I see it, ANet wants people to actually do something in this game instead of play for 5 minutes and get 10 more AP.

And this is EXACTLY why THE CAP WILL STAY.

I checked on my cap today and I’ll top it off next year around Mad King’s or maybe Wintersday 2017. Rather poetic as it’ll be almost my 5th year in-game which is how long it takes a new player to reach the cap if they started doing dailies now.

On the flipside; if AP was unlimited then Anet would also get stuck with making another set of skins that have to be prestigious enough to warrant getting massive amounts of AP but not so prestigious that players feel so marose that they’ll never get them in any reasonable amount of time investment.

Atm there’s two themed armour sets that have been rationed so it takes 42000 AP to collect both sets but the second set of AP weapon skins is a ley-crystal version of the Zenith skins. I’d rather see it put towards more regional skins or obtainable via in-game activities than an AP which most of us won’t see for another 5 years.