Poll to remove Daily Achivement Cap?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I dont even understand why people are so interested in more easy AP.
There is nothing valuable in AP chests imo, the skins arent that special, the gold is neglible and the rest is very useless. Whenever i get one its more that i think, "oh god what do i do with this sh… and how do i get rid of it. I suppose the 1-2% are nice in the long run, but not hugely significant. (Also a reason for the cap I suppose, you dont want that stuff run out of hand.)

When people here argue that somehow players playing more easy tasks and coming back like some addict and that the game then somehow becomes better, Just because of something very very little as 10 AP, I start to lose faith in humanity. The 2 gold that comes with it is much more valuable than the AP.

It would be better to suggest that the daily gold amount goes up to 3 gold once you hit daily cap ( or whatever fits) because that actually i can see make sense.

Obligatory ‘Can I have your AP
Useless to you, maybe, but I’m scraping because I desperately need the Hellfire armor because its the only fiery armor in the game that isn’t rags’n’bones

There is the Flame Legion armour from doing Citadel of Flame and saving your tokens. Or next time they are in the gem store, Flamekissed, Flamewalker and Flamewrath.

The heavy-only chest-only is the only acceptable piece. The rest has no fire or shows skin. Same with the flamekissing wrathwalking stem store pieces. They show skin. The point is to look like a destroyer so I cant have skin shown. But until now Ive settles with the heavy flame legion chest for that cause

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

There is nothing valuable in AP chests imo, the skins arent that special, the gold is neglible and the rest is very useless. Whenever i get one its more that i think, "oh god what do i do with this sh… and how do i get rid of it. I suppose the 1-2% are nice in the long run, but not hugely significant. (Also a reason for the cap I suppose, you dont want that stuff run out of hand.)

When people here argue that somehow players playing more easy tasks and coming back like some addict and that the game then somehow becomes better, Just because of something very very little as 10 AP, I start to lose faith in humanity. The 2 gold that comes with it is much more valuable than the AP.

It would be better to suggest that the daily gold amount goes up to 3 gold once you hit daily cap ( or whatever fits) because that actually i can see make sense.

Useless to you, maybe, but I’m scraping because I desperately need the Hellfire armor because its the only fiery armor in the game that isn’t rags’n’bones

There is the Flame Legion armour from doing Citadel of Flame and saving your tokens. Or next time they are in the gem store, Flamekissed, Flamewalker and Flamewrath.

The heavy-only chest-only is the only acceptable piece. The rest has no fire or shows skin. Same with the flamekissing wrathwalking stem store pieces. They show skin. The point is to look like a destroyer so I cant have skin shown. But until now Ive settles with the heavy flame legion chest for that cause

How about Lunatic Guard or Mad King outfits?

Amaimon.7823

How about Lunatic Guard or Mad King outfits?

Bolded text explains my rebutal.
While they’re cool and fiery, they are not at all suitable to make a character look like a destroyer

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

Ok, I thought the mad king was a long shot…although now that Primordus has absorbed some of Mordremoth's power, a Primordus corrupted pumpkin? Lunatic Guard though. If it is available soon I thought it was quite close.

Amaimon.7823

Ok, I thought the mad king was a long shot…although now that Primordus has absorbed some of Mordremoth's power, a Primordus corrupted pumpkin? Lunatic Guard though. If it is available soon I thought it was quite close.

Kudos for the shot, though. I like that kind of imagination. Sadly it won’t pull off if others can’t tell what you are :/

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Not going to beat my head against the wall no more for Anet to ignore this topic.

Hit the cap today, so its daily login rewards only for me now until the cap is lifted and or increased, thanks for the 12+ years of fun Anet.

For those who feel the cap is a restriction of your game play, I suggest you do kitten many have said, and just pick up a new game.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

I used to be one of those daily achievement seekers elitist achievement hunters back when it’d take you 3-6 hours to do ALL pvp, wvw, pve dailies. Was soooo glad when they changed it to the format that it is now. much rather spend 15minutes to get my 10 points then hours and hours to get 11. As for the cap, who cares really. You don’t get a prize for being #1 and the sooner i realized that the sooner i started to actually enjoy the game by doing whatever i wanted on it with my time. IF anything your better off trying to get them to re-add monthlies which im sure they can connect it to the 28 day log in. I know i loved doing monthlies far more then i ever did with dailies.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t get the whole premise that Anet should ask players … Toyota doesn’t as me if I want 10 cup holders do they? ALl threads like this are the same lack of understanding of what you pay for as a customer to an MMO developer … it’s Access to content, not the content itself. If you understand this, you know why it’s silly to ‘ask players’ if something should be done.

It is not inherently silly to ask players if something should be done or not. It’s just entirely up to ArenaNet if they want to ask players. Which in some occasions they do.

That’s correct, but they didn’t in this case. They implemented it because it’s the design they wanted. That’s not flawed at all; there are lots of factors that go into this kind of decision that the average player has no clue about … so you think Anet wants a volume of uninformed opinions to make game design decisions? I think that would actually be irresponsible of them to do that.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

That’s correct, but they didn’t in this case. They implemented it because it’s the design they wanted. That’s not flawed at all; there are lots of factors that go into this kind of decision that the average player has no clue about … so you think Anet wants a volume of uninformed opinions to make game design decisions? I think that would actually be irresponsible of them to do that.

They may very well listen to this thread and make a change on daily AP because that’s what they want. I don’t think it’s necessary for the design to be flawed, in order to warrant a change anyway.

ArenaNet wants a volume of opinions (uninformed or not), since they specifically have this forum and community managers for reddit, facebook, etc., scouting for those opinions. However, that doesn’t mean anyone who post here is making a decision. It’s suggestions and requests, which may or may not be fulfilled AT ArenaNet’s discretion. Even a poll would be entirely controlled by ArenaNet. The options on the poll would be chosen carefully so that even the most uninformed person can make a sensible contribution to the decision.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t get the whole premise that Anet should ask players … Toyota doesn’t as me if I want 10 cup holders do they? ALl threads like this are the same lack of understanding of what you pay for as a customer to an MMO developer … it’s Access to content, not the content itself. If you understand this, you know why it’s silly to ‘ask players’ if something should be done.

It is not inherently silly to ask players if something should be done or not. It’s just entirely up to ArenaNet if they want to ask players. Which in some occasions they do.

Uninformed opinions? That fits nicely with how clueless and indecisive ANet has been over the years with their ever-evolving approach to dailies. The last change was the most ridiculous of all, awarding a whopping 10 points per day for the most trivial and inconsequential of activities.

Stupid pet tricks I used to call them, back when I cared. And they did this because of a sorry handful of people who, like dogs that won’t stop eating until all the food is gone, obsessively needed to get all available points every day. Cultivating degenerate game play for years and then cutting off the reward cold turkey style, that’s what I consider irresponsible. What’s left is the blatant negative reinforcement of shoving the daily system with its promise of rewards that will never materialize into our faces every time you log in. And do they even bother informing players in-game of the situation and removing the 10 AP reward from the Daily Completionist? Nope. Why not? They do have mechanisms in place that allow for repeatable achievements with limited cumulative AP rewards, like for Agent of Entropy.

Do they enjoy the daily new threads about it in the bugs section? Do they just not care to make the whole thing less of a convoluted mess? Or are they just in over their heads?

Obtena.7952

ArenaNet wants a volume of opinions (uninformed or not), since they specifically have this forum and community managers for reddit, facebook, etc., scouting for those opinions. However, that doesn’t mean anyone who post here is making a decision. It’s suggestions and requests, which may or may not be fulfilled AT ArenaNet’s discretion. Even a poll would be entirely controlled by ArenaNet. The options on the poll would be chosen carefully so that even the most uninformed person can make a sensible contribution to the decision.

Let’s be careful here … being open to opinions is WAY different than openly asking players how the game should be designed with polls and such. Anet does one but not the other.

So when I see a thread on a poll of opinions to change game design, that just makes no sense to me. Anet already know there is a wide range of opinion on the matter … what would you think they would learn from doing that? Frankly, I think it’s a big waste of resources for them to go around polling players on this change and that change.

Posted by: FallenTear.3710

FallenTear.3710

Please remove AP cap daily.
I’ve full 15k since last week and Now I don’t have motivation to do anything from daily list.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

While you are technically right, are you playing with your Toyota? I guess you do the same thing with your Toyota as I do with my car, drive to work, to friends or to the supermarket. If the continued exsitence my product is based on customer goodwill, I should at least make a token effort to make them feel relevant.

Also, do you think Toyota has airbags in the car because they like it to build a car that takes longer to build with them? They do it bcause customers aka citizens demanded it through the introduction of laws which made them mandatory.

FrizzFreston.5290

Let’s be careful here … being open to opinions is WAY different than openly asking players how the game should be designed with polls and such. Anet does one but not the other.

So when I see a thread on a poll of opinions to change game design, that just makes no sense to me. Anet already know there is a wide range of opinion on the matter … what would you think they would learn from doing that? Frankly, I think it’s a big waste of resources for them to go around polling players on this change and that change.

There’s no reason to be careful. ArenaNet does the deciding. They poll when they find it appropriate, or even want to. This topic, wont be likely to be polled, but there’s nothing stating that they won’t poll something else.

Also they DO polls on certain topics. Like pvp ranked duo queue and certain wvw changes. Regardless of whether you think thats a waste of resources. So you’re already wrong by saying that they don’t do so.

That doesn’t mean, I think they should poll every single thing, either, but if that’s how they want to do it its in their right to do so. Something for polls is that it gives players the idea that they are making a difference and contribute to the game they like playing, it involves the players in the process. ON the other hand, too much would mean the game loses some of the creative decisions from developers and might take alot of resources.

I’m pretty sure ArenaNet devs will make the best possible choice from their perspective.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They’ve been doing polls for changes to WvW for some time now so obviously they don’t think it’s a waste of resources.

Google WvW polls.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Obtena.7952

They’ve been doing polls for changes to WvW for some time now so obviously they don’t think it’s a waste of resources.

Google WvW polls.

Um, that kind of proves what I’m saying … if they want players to participate, they WILL do so. They didn’t here, for whatever reason.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Google WvW polls.

Um, that kind of proves what I’m saying … if they want players to participate, they WILL do so. They didn’t here, for whatever reason.

Um, there has to be a before point in time before they poll on this or that change. If they thought polling was a waste of resources they wouldn’t be doing it multiple times on various subjects.

Before the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, six …… poll on suggested change X. They didn’t here, for whatever reason.

And then they did.

ANet may give it to you.

Manasa Devi.7958

Don’t you get it? Anything we can think of are stupid and useless ideas, not worth considering and a waste of time and resources.

Until ANet does it.

That’s how it works, clearly.

Obtena.7952

Google WvW polls.

Um, there has to be a before point in time before they poll on this or that change. If they thought polling was a waste of resources they wouldn’t be doing it multiple times on various subjects.

Before the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, six …… poll on suggested change X. They didn’t here, for whatever reason.

And then they did.

Anet polls some stuff, some other stuff they don’t. It’s silly for them to poll “hey do you want this or that” after they have implemented one or the other. I mean, that’s a waste of their time. It’s not hard to see that.

For example … it would be stupid of them to poll if they should name Necro elite spec “Reaper” or something else … Why? It’s already reaper, and it’s not changing. Work went into making that the name. This is the same thing. They implemented daily achievement caps. it would be stupid for them at this point to say “Hey daily achievement cap or not guys?”

Realistically, what would they poll players on at this point? They already know there is a range of feelings that players would have on this. It’s redundant.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, to be fair, the Devs did previously say that there was a technical cap on slots for Crafting Materials and nothing would be added. Then, recently, said they were going to increase said cap and, more or less, did a poll on what should be added. Not exactly the same thing, but things do change, now and then.

They are also polling about lowering the population cap on maps, at this time. And polling whether to increase the amount of Server/Worlds, that have been capped, so to speak.

Again, something that had been set with a cap, and now may change.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Google WvW polls.

And then they did.

Anet polls some stuff, some other stuff they don’t. It’s silly for them to poll “hey do you want this or that” after they have implemented one or the other. I mean, that’s a waste of their time. It’s not hard to see that.

For example … it would be stupid of them to poll if they should name Necro elite spec “Reaper” or something else … Why? It’s already reaper, and it’s not changing. Work went into making that the name. This is the same thing. They implemented daily achievement caps. it would be stupid for them at this point to say “Hey daily achievement cap or not guys?”

Realistically, what would they poll players on at this point? They already know there is a range of feelings that players would have on this. It’s redundant.

it would be stupid for them at this point to say “Hey daily achievement cap or not guys?”

Well, that’s just your opinion, man

Are you saying that with the other polls that they didn’t know that there was a range of feelings on those subjects?

Maybe, just maybe, it’s the range of feelings that calls for a poll. I mean, are you going to poll when you know ahead of time that there’s a consensus? Maybe, just maybe, a poll finds out what exactly the range of feelings are and the percents of each. You know, to find out what the majority wants.

Food for thought, no?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

While we are at it, let’s have a poll on mounts, inspections and duels too. There is a range of feelings on those too and loads of constant forum threads around here. But for some reason those are dismissed with the dead horse gif while this one requires a poll.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

as soon as i learned that a daily cap existed it half killed my motivation to ever keep playing…..where else am i gana get these things from?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

To me, those of you who say you aren’t bored with the game yet lose motivation to play after hitting a cap for the daily aren’t really bored because of that. Because how can one not be bored with a game that the only motivation you have to play is playing for 5-15 minutes to get 10 AP?

Why is getting that 10 AP so critical to your desire to play? There are other AP in the game. If ANet added more AP to the game more regularly, would the cap be a problem? Is it the progression towards the AP chest that you want and the lack of decent progress is what kills the motivation to play?

Obtena.7952

Google WvW polls.

And then they did.

it would be stupid for them at this point to say “Hey daily achievement cap or not guys?”

Well, that’s just your opinion, man

Are you saying that with the other polls that they didn’t know that there was a range of feelings on those subjects?

Maybe, just maybe, it’s the range of feelings that calls for a poll. I mean, are you going to poll when you know ahead of time that there’s a consensus? Maybe, just maybe, a poll finds out what exactly the range of feelings are and the percents of each. You know, to find out what the majority wants.

Food for thought, no?

I think it depends on what the poll is asking … the question posed by this thread is rather silly. It suggests that Anet will waste resources putting something in, just to take it out based on a poll … because somehow, they didn’t take into account people would not like a daily achievement cap? Like it completely didn’t cross their mind it wouldn’t be a popular thing to do? That’s just nonsense. If Anet made decisions on how people felt, they would never be able to do anything, because there is always unhappy people. People suggesting polls are a reasonable method to rally against changes Anet make to the aren’t being very realistic or clever here.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

To me, those of you who say you aren’t bored with the game yet lose motivation to play after hitting a cap for the daily aren’t really bored because of that. Because how can one not be bored with a game that the only motivation you have to play is playing for 5-15 minutes to get 10 AP?

Why is getting that 10 AP so critical to your desire to play? There are other AP in the game. If ANet added more AP to the game more regularly, would the cap be a problem? Is it the progression towards the AP chest that you want and the lack of decent progress is what kills the motivation to play?

I agree with you. The daily AP ap is just a convenient excuse for them to not have to face the reality that they just don’t enjoy this game as much as they used to. There isn’t anything wrong with that, but don’t try to pin it all on the daily AP cap. If the only reason you logged in was to do dailies then you weren’t really participating in the game’s content anyway.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Most of the daily AP involve doing stuff that feeds into other aspects of the game that a player might want. For instance, if one does three dailies in WvW, s/he also advances a reward track, and maybe gains a WvW rank. While some of the non-daily AP added to the game work similarly, some do not. Also, a lot of the AP added post launch involve silly-kittened tasks, like repeating story steps while doing X, or massive grind. Some AP was always this way, but it seems like more of the new AP is, and less accrues during normal play like the explorer, (most of the) slayer AP, and (most of the) weapon master AP did.

Some people play GW2 to kick back, relax and chill. At the game’s launch, game rewards for such players seemed fairly balanced compared to rewards for exclusive content aficionados. Over time, though, more and more rewards have been added to exclusive content, at least some of which does not appeal to everyone. Some rewards have been taken away from casual play and hidden behind specific content or grind. AP chests (since the institution of the daily cap) is an example of the former, guild rewards of the latter.

This shift in game rewards happened largely for three reasons:

1. Some players like the idea of getting stuff others don’t have. This group also tends to be more vocal. If ANet doesn’t scratch that itch, the no-endgame complaints proliferate. This group also tends to devour content faster, and can appear voracious as a result.
  2. A large segment of the player base taught ANet that repeating content because it was fun was not going to be a thing for them. So, ANet has resorted more and more to the use of reward carrots to keep players playing and to get them to play specific content. The net result is a game about which there are increasing complaints concerning “shoving things down peoples’ throats” and “too much grind.”
  3. “Path of least resistance” means that locking rewards behind specific, perhaps less-desirable content, forces players to engage with that content. Rewards available via general play mean players can play as they like while feeling reasonably rewarded for doing so. They also mean that those in it “just” for the rewards will do the easiest content as fast as possible, then demand more shinies.

Given human nature, and the nature of the MMO business model, it’s likely that the change was inevitable. However, GW2 was advertised to be for those who hated MMO’s as well as those who loved them. While it still is in some respects, its approach to rewards has gotten a lot closer to that of older MMO’s and further away from the way it was at launch.

This is not to say I believe that every reward should be openly available. I don’t. However, it’s a pity that the game has evolved away from the way it was at launch.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Most of the daily AP involve doing stuff that feeds into other aspects of the game that a player might want. For instance, if one does three dailies in WvW, s/he also advances a reward track, and maybe gains a WvW rank. While some of the non-daily AP added to the game work similarly, some do not. Also, a lot of the AP added post launch involve silly-kittened tasks, like repeating story steps while doing X, or massive grind. Some AP was always this way, but it seems like more of the new AP is, and less accrues during normal play like the explorer, (most of the) slayer AP, and (most of the) weapon master AP did.

Some people play GW2 to kick back, relax and chill. At the game’s launch, game rewards for such players seemed fairly balanced compared to rewards for exclusive content aficionados. Over time, though, more and more rewards have been added to exclusive content, at least some of which does not appeal to everyone. Some rewards have been taken away from casual play and hidden behind specific content or grind. AP chests (since the institution of the daily cap) is an example of the former, guild rewards of the latter.

This shift in game rewards happened largely for three reasons:

1. Some players like the idea of getting stuff others don’t have. This group also tends to be more vocal. If ANet doesn’t scratch that itch, the no-endgame complaints proliferate. This group also tends to devour content faster, and can appear voracious as a result.
  2. A large segment of the player base taught ANet that repeating content because it was fun was not going to be a thing for them. So, ANet has resorted more and more to the use of reward carrots to keep players playing and to get them to play specific content. The net result is a game about which there are increasing complaints concerning “shoving things down peoples’ throats” and “too much grind.”
  3. “Path of least resistance” means that locking rewards behind specific, perhaps less-desirable content, forces players to engage with that content. Rewards available via general play mean players can play as they like while feeling reasonably rewarded for doing so. They also mean that those in it “just” for the rewards will do the easiest content as fast as possible, then demand more shinies.

Given human nature, and the nature of the MMO business model, it’s likely that the change was inevitable. However, GW2 was advertised to be for those who hated MMO’s as well as those who loved them. While it still is in some respects, its approach to rewards has gotten a lot closer to that of older MMO’s and further away from the way it was at launch.

This is not to say I believe that every reward should be openly available. I don’t. However, it’s a pity that the game has evolved away from the way it was at launch.

Yes, but if the player truly wanted to do those things, then the AP earned from the dailies would just be icing on the cake. The AP earned wouldn’t matter if that’s what the player truly wanted.

My question is why is earning 10 AP for doing those things so important? Important enough that players will stop playing the game if they don’t get it. If it’s not because the person is truly bored with the game and the loss in AP is making them realize that, then what is it?

Your post doesn’t answer any of my questions. None of them. I want answers from players who do feel this way and I want why THEY feel that way. Not generalized “people have different goals and expectations”. I get that. I want to hear specific individualized responses.

Because if it’s wanting quicker progression toward AP chests, then they need to be asking for more AP to be added to the game with one possibility being removing/increasing the cap on dailies. And another being increasing the amount of AP earned by the achievements they do add. Not progressing fast enough there is a valid reason for not playing even if you aren’t bored with a game: most players like progression and a lack of it can make a fun game, not worth playing. But just the lack of earning AP from dailies tells me that the player was bored with the game but wasn’t able to be true to themselves until they reached it or realized what will happen when they do reach it.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

However, it’s a pity that the game has evolved away from the way it was at launch.

Could I get dungeon armor skins without playing dungeons at release? No.
Could I get PVP skins anywhere outside PVP? No.
Could I get the Temple of Orr skins without playing the actual content of the Temples? No.
Could I get any PS specific skins outside of the PS? No.
Could I get any of the LS1 specific skins outside of playing the LS1 content? Outside really rare exceptions, No.

When was this magical time in the game’s history we could get all the rewards by playing any kind of content we wanted?

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

My question is why is earning 10 AP for doing those things so important? Important enough that players will stop playing the game if they don’t get it. If it’s not because the person is truly bored with the game and the loss in AP is making them realize that, then what is it?

I can repeat that again – that was the last thing that was giving a sense of progress in game for many. Nothing is going to change that. I’m personally spent hundreds of dollars on GW2 stuff during these years, and now I don’t have any reason to, because Anet took away last reason to log in.
They don’t want my money anymore? Fine, that’s their choice.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

IndigoSundown.5419

Yes, but if the player truly wanted to do those things, then the AP earned from the dailies would just be icing on the cake. The AP earned wouldn’t matter if that’s what the player truly wanted.

I like to kill two birds with one stone, as do many others.

For me, I get tired of ANet saying, “You can play 90% of the game’s content if you like, but if you want rewards, you need to concentrate on the other 10%.” I’m not leaving due to the cap, but it’s one more straw added to the many others, and the camel’s back isn’t going to last forever.

Your post doesn’t answer any of my questions. None of them. I want answers from players who do feel this way and I want why THEY feel that way. Not generalized “people have different goals and expectations”. I get that. I want to hear specific individualized responses.

My answers in italics, above. I’d also guess others feel the same.

Because if it’s wanting quicker progression toward AP chests, then they need to be asking for more AP to be added to the game with one possibility being removing/increasing the cap on dailies. And another being increasing the amount of AP earned by the achievements they do add. Not progressing fast enough there is a valid reason for not playing even if you aren’t bored with a game: most players like progression and a lack of it can make a fun game, not worth playing. But just the lack of earning AP from dailies tells me that the player was bored with the game but wasn’t able to be true to themselves until they reached it or realized what will happen when they do reach it.

Speaking only for me, I’m pretty fed up with the way rewards have come to work in GW2. All the responses to complaints about the game being unrewarding have made no difference in my sense of reward for playing. However, were I to change my play style preferences to do crap I don’t like, I get deluged with loot. I view the AP cap as a measure to remove the responsibility for people who are obsessive compulsive about AP to police their own behavior by taking away rewards that were once available to my play preferences.

As to adding more AP, fine. ANet should. However, given current trends it’s going to be behind crap content I have little interest in.

However, it’s a pity that the game has evolved away from the way it was at launch.

Could I get dungeon armor skins without playing dungeons at release? No. I CAN NOW. PvP/WvW TRACKS ARE ONE OF THE FEW POSITIVE CHANGES TO REWARDS.
Could I get PVP skins anywhere outside PVP? No.
Could I get the Temple of Orr skins without playing the actual content of the Temples? YES. THOSE ARE PURCHASED WITH KARMA AND ONE JUST HAS TO GO TO THE ZONE WHILE A TEMPLE IS OPEN.
Could I get any PS specific skins outside of the PS? WELL MAYBE, SOME WERE AVAILABLE FROM RACIAL VENDORS IIRC.
Could I get any of the LS1 specific skins outside of playing the LS1 content? Outside really rare exceptions, No.

When was this magical time in the game’s history we could get all the rewards by playing any kind of content we wanted?

Never said anything about all rewards, just that there were more rewards available in general play _proportionally than there are now._

Obtena.7952

^^ Sounds to me like anyone that focuses on the reward vs. the play wouldn’t really have a much of a care in how Daily rewards work in the first place. If rewards is what you are about … Daily is a pretty strange and pathetic place to seek them.

There are more rewards available in general play from before than there is now because before, we didn’t have LS and HoT and Raids, and … well it should be obvious why. The game evolves with endgame content … and the balance of rewards towards that. That’s not a pity that the game evolved that way, it’s a natural evolution. If you seek the balance of rewards from general play, then I’m afraid the MMO genre isn’t for you to begin with.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, it is like the Gem Store offerings. We know that all items aren’t offered at the same time because it gives players the sense that they can put off purchasing, because the item will always be there on offer. Time-limited items give more of an incentive to purchase now.

AP acquisition may be similar. The Daily AP is only on offer that day, giving an incentive to complete those tasks and be rewarded (with AP and other items). The non-daily APs can always be acquired, giving a sense it can be put off and are less motivating.

Also, after so many years, players may be accustomed to completing Dailies, and the feeling that the reward has been reduced (by the loss of AP) may interfere with, again, motivation.

It may be little different to the way players feel about the loss of XP counting toward any kind of progress once Mastery Tracks are filled. They are used to XP accumulation working toward a reward of some kind.

Lol, we all know how many humans feel about change to routines. =P

I’ve no idea if the removal of the AP cap would best serve these issues, or some other solution would be more motivating to keep logging in and playing (between content updates). I hope the Devs do know.

IndigoSundown.5419

^^ Sounds to me like anyone that focuses on the reward vs. the play wouldn’t really have a much of a care in how Daily rewards work in the first place. If rewards is what you are about … Daily is a pretty strange and pathetic place to seek them.

There are more rewards available in general play from before than there is now because before, we didn’t have LS and HoT and Raids, and … well it should be obvious why. The game evolves with endgame content … and the balance of rewards towards that. That’s not a pity that the game evolved that way, it’s a natural evolution. If you seek the balance of rewards from general play, then I’m afraid the MMO genre isn’t for you to begin with.

Yep, that’s how GW2 has changed. Or did you forgot that GW2 was supposed to appeal to both MMO lovers and haters? And what’s with everyone attributing things to me I did not say. The “balance of rewards from general play?” Not even close when all I’m doing is talking about one reward track that used to be more accessible and is now less.

FrizzFreston.5290

I always saw AP as the replacement for GWAMM. Never as a reward track that you work towards. Finishing it has been a thing for years, so why it suddenly has become a problem is rather strange. You even have to do less than two years back, when you had to do every single daily for the maximum AP.

Not sure how GW2 moved away from the good old days while you got alot less from doing dailies. NO additional rewards, no gold. And the cap has been there all this time. Even when there were monthlies.

Posted by: Coelho Nat.4697

Coelho Nat.4697

My opinion: update the cap limit by 500 points every year. Therefore, the players who reached the limits will have some extra points that can be completed in two months or so. At same time, the players that haven´t reached the limit will be able to catch up sooner or later.

OriOri.8724

My opinion: update the cap limit by 500 points every year. Therefore, the players who reached the limits will have some extra points that can be completed in two months or so. At same time, the players that haven´t reached the limit will be able to catch up sooner or later.

It will already take a new player over 4 years to reach the daily cap, putting GW2 at over 8 years old. Factor in those extra 2 months every year that veteran players will get and it will take a new player 5+ years to catch up. At that point there is no catching up, it just won’t happen.

Manasa Devi.7958

Is there any reason why it should be possible for new people to catch up with people who’ve been at it for 4+ years?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

While we are at it, let’s have a poll on mounts, inspections and duels too. There is a range of feelings on those too and loads of constant forum threads around here. But for some reason those are dismissed with the dead horse gif while this one requires a poll.

While my opinion for all three runs from indifferent to opposed, I’d fully support more in-depth assessment of the players’ stances. It would have to go beyond “Do you like me? Circle Yes | No” but I think there would be value in it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

It will already take a new player over 4 years to reach the daily cap, putting GW2 at over 8 years old. Factor in those extra 2 months every year that veteran players will get and it will take a new player 5+ years to catch up. At that point there is no catching up, it just won’t happen.

What is that “catching up” you are talking about? It will make someone happy? Give something special? Have any rational purpose?

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

OriOri.8724

Is there any reason why it should be possible for new people to catch up with people who’ve been at it for 4+ years?

That’s a different debate. I was replying to @Coelho Cat’s comment about people being able to catch up even if the cap is raised year after year. New players will never catch up. Even if they are allowed to get more daily AP each year than veteran players can, they will still have missed the thousands of AP from historical AP that they don’t have access to. New players cannot catch up to older players already, raising the daily AP cap will just make this even more apparent.

(edited by OriOri.8724)

Obtena.7952

Yep, that’s how GW2 has changed. Or did you forgot that GW2 was supposed to appeal to both MMO lovers and haters? And what’s with everyone attributing things to me I did not say. The “balance of rewards from general play?” Not even close when all I’m doing is talking about one reward track that used to be more accessible and is now less.

OK so maybe you’re just confusing everyone with the n=1 case because certainly what you point out it’s more than just how MMOs evolve. it’s not a consequence of some bad design or judgement on Anet’s part

I do know this much: I still don’t see how someone with such a focus on rewards makes so much of a stink about dailies.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I would like the Daily AP cap removed unless they plan on changing the amount of AP we get from the newly added achievements. Right now I have no meaningful way to progress my account and it feels stagnant. Even if you only got 5AP from dailies after reaching 15k that’d be fine.

As it stands though, the game still acts like it gives you the points, but the points aren’t applied which results in people who don’t know the cap exists filing bug reports and posting messages about it. Every other achievement that is repeatable and has a cap stops telling you that you’ll get AP after the cap is reached. So it does feel like a bug that dailies cap given the information presented by the game.

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

I find that I do not do dailies anymore since the achievements were removed. Why did you cap them to begin with? There has never been an answer to this. It is not something that should have been removed and I hope the amount of people (and hopefully more) will continue to protest for the cap removal.

These 10 AP helped motivate me to do things like WvW which I rarely touch and then continue on and do the PvP dailies and the others. It is the same with a lot of people I know who have capped: Why bother? They are a small goal. They help motivate you towards more.

IndigoSundown.5419

OK so maybe you’re just confusing everyone with the n=1 case because certainly what you point out it’s more than just how MMOs evolve. it’s not a consequence of some bad design or judgement on Anet’s part

I do know this much: I still don’t see how someone with such a focus on rewards makes so much of a stink about dailies.

Wow. Well, maybe I’ve confused you. I’m not so sure anyone else is confused.

So, to make it simple.

1. Some play-styles are much less rewarding than others. That’s a natural part of MMO design.
  2. Daily rewards are accessible to everyone , but sooner or later one hits the cap and they get reduced.
  3. Why? Because people whose play-style is vastly more rewarding want the cap. Still a part of MMO development? Maybe
  4. However, let’s not forget the cap was put in because of complaints about inability to manage obsessive-compulsive behavior.
  5. So, a relatively small reward gets taken away from one group to benefit another group whose rewards were unaffected by-and-large and whose rewards are greater to begin with. Now the affected group is complaining back. That’s part of MMO development also. One group complains, and gets what they want. It affects another group, who then complains.

So, where were you when there was no cap on daily AP? Why weren’t you defending the status quo then?

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Ive only been doing the daily login chest and logging out since I hit the cap, I did log in to help friends get the new LS3 episode done,

This topic is still being ignored by Anet, which is kinda funny because normally they would have sent the PR damage control in by now to give the speech on how they are/aren’t looking at it.

For those who don’t understand what the problem is, you don’t understand because your game play is different to someone who actively works towards the achievement chests etc, just because they play the game differently to you, doesn’t make it that they play it wrong, or that you play it wrong,

And I was one of the AP hunters, and I did do dailies everyday, and I did play for a lot longer than 10 mins a day I can tell you that, but the cap killed that for me, me and my friends used to use every AP available to push each other on, now that’s been taken away from us, so the game is no longer fun now, that’s my own decision and im happy with that, the game doesn’t add enough AP for other things to make up the difference, go do xyz and spend 500g for 5AP, will not cut it.

So yes, ANET can we please get an answer on this, and what is happening if anything about it.