*Precursor Rage*

*Precursor Rage*

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

So yeah, making a legendary contingent on a single very rare drop is a terrible system. On the other hand chances are good that you will do more than the amount expected to get a precursor and still not get it without the RNG being broken.

On the flip side, making Precursors more available would increase the number of people working on a Legendary which will increase demand for the parts. If we increase the demand of already rare parts (the t6 fine materials), the price will rise.

Basically, right now it costs a lot of gold to complete step 1 (“get a precursor”). If we make step 1 cheaper, then you’ll have a lot of people who have completed step 1 and now need to complete step 2 (“get T6 fine materials”). All we’ve done is shifted the cost to step 2, so you’re really no closer to your goal at all, you just feel a bit better about your progress because you were able to check off a cheap step 1.

Server: Devona’s Rest

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

So yeah, making a legendary contingent on a single very rare drop is a terrible system. On the other hand chances are good that you will do more than the amount expected to get a precursor and still not get it without the RNG being broken.

On the flip side, making Precursors more available would increase the number of people working on a Legendary which will increase demand for the parts. If we increase the demand of already rare parts (the t6 fine materials), the price will rise.

Basically, right now it costs a lot of gold to complete step 1 (“get a precursor”). If we make step 1 cheaper, then you’ll have a lot of people who have completed step 1 and now need to complete step 2 (“get T6 fine materials”). All we’ve done is shifted the cost to step 2, so you’re really no closer to your goal at all, you just feel a bit better about your progress because you were able to check off a cheap step 1.

I’d rather start from ZERO today but having a reasonable way of obtaining the precursor than amassing a pile of gold for that single item. The progression feels way smoother, and I got a lot of people agreeing with me (including guildies).

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

a lot of people wouldnt mind increased cost of parts, because those are shorter term goals, you can target, or they have known ways of obtaining them.

T6, drops from high level zones/bags and you can upgrade t5 to get, as well you can use laurels
Orichalcum mineable, salavageable
stones is the hardest part, but you can hunt elementals, or you can hunt specific bags, also different dungeons generally have some means, and champion bags also give it.

point is, what people dont like, is not being able to work towards it in any non super rng way. As far as saving gold, doesnt really work out due to inflation. While every charged lodestone you get gets you 1/100 closer to your goal no matter what, Every gold you earn does not necessarily get you closer to a precursor. You can use random number generators in games, but if you are going to go to like 1/1000 levels, you create a large variation in attainability.
since legendaries a currently the main elder game goals, this becomes a problem

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

And actual, measurable, steady progress is the best we could ask for. Not gold-grinding for a moving target of inflated prices or randomly flinging gear into the toilet hole and praying with your toes crossed.

Make precursors craftable, and the economy will certainly jumpstart in the same way it did with Ascended crafting (though I’ll bite my tongue about silk, right now).

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

*Precursor Rage*

mtpelion.4562

a lot of people wouldnt mind increased cost of parts, because those are shorter term goals, you can target, or they have known ways of obtaining them.

T6, drops from high level zones/bags and you can upgrade t5 to get, as well you can use laurels
Orichalcum mineable, salavageable
stones is the hardest part, but you can hunt elementals, or you can hunt specific bags, also different dungeons generally have some means, and champion bags also give it.

point is, what people dont like, is not being able to work towards it in any non super rng way. As far as saving gold, doesnt really work out due to inflation. While every charged lodestone you get gets you 1/100 closer to your goal no matter what, Every gold you earn does not necessarily get you closer to a precursor. You can use random number generators in games, but if you are going to go to like 1/1000 levels, you create a large variation in attainability.
since legendaries a currently the main elder game goals, this becomes a problem

I would also like the legendary system to be more incremental in nature, however if we shift the majority of the cost to the T6 fine materials, it will impact all players heavily while the legendary builders wouldn’t really be impacted at all (the overall cost to them would be similar, just spread out more).

I think a better solution would be “Precursor Shards”. Every Precursor Forge attempt should drop a shard. Save up enough shards and you can trade them in for a Precursor. The cost would still be high, but you’d be building progress with every gamble.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: scorpius the sly.7940

scorpius the sly.7940

I been playing since 3 day headstart and never ever ever ever ever got a single precursor drop / I do it all also dungeons wvw pvp bosses played all living story etc etc etc….

everything I have in game I had to earn or pay with in game gold / I also know people that get ridiculous drops of precursors 2/3 a month what gives well that’s all I have to say I hope anet does something to help those that are getting $%^$#$ed.

have a great day everyone and good luck

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

^ in the same boat.
Something is borked.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: BandAid.9720

BandAid.9720

I must be lucky. Got a dusk from karka event while back.
And dawn and dusk from mystic forge after non stop 1800 lvl 80 rare gs

*Precursor Rage*

mtpelion.4562

Karka event gave you a nice boost in Magic Find (like 200%, I think?), so yeah, you were “lucky”

The “best” way to get a Precursor is to maximize your chances. This means either dumping items in the Mystic Forge or maximizing your kills per hour while running high Magic Find.

Doing normal gameplay will give you very few rolls for a precursor, which is why many people are able to play the game since launch and never see one. Essentially, if you want to increase your odds of winning the lottery, you have to buy more tickets. Only problem is that buying more tickets involved really boring gameplay.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Minami Kaori.2548

Minami Kaori.2548

There were a lot of theories going around from beng DPS based, to a bad RNG seed that favored certain accounts, to ANet giving luck preference to those who spend money in the gem store (Really, would you put it past them?). ANet closed the thread without any real explanation of why some people are so much more lucky than others. Again, far beyond that of what RNG should do. I’ve known people who stopped running dungeons and partying or just stopped playing because when party members ALWAYS got better loot it was just too disheartening. Even RNG, when properly implemented has a very predicable pattern and will create a bell curve when plotted. When you have someone who has 7 or 8 precursors with little or no effort compared to many others, the RNG is not working properly.

I know I have spent several hundred dollars for gems to support Anet, been playing since betas, and no precursors.

I absolutely 100% feel that my account is somehow part of a bad RNG code.

I have a friend I farm with. We have about the same percentage of magic find. She gets better loot than I, consistently. By the end of a farming run, I would have 40 porous bones and 10 heavy bags. She would have 18-20 heavy bags and 25 porous bones (or so). And this repeats every time. So far, it hasn’t evened out with me having more luck at any point.

It’s very disheartening, I feel like I don’t get anything cool and shiny by playing the game.

I have started playing Diablo 3 a few days ago, and my god, I feel so good when items drop for me and not a whole bunch of absolutely useless kitten .

EDIT: Kittens are not useless. You know what I wrote up there.

(edited by Minami Kaori.2548)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

EDIT: Kittens are not useless. You know what I wrote up there.

Well kittens are kind of useless…at least they’re kitten cute about it though.

*Precursor Rage*

Valento.9852

Karka event gave you a nice boost in Magic Find (like 200%, I think?), so yeah, you were “lucky”

The “best” way to get a Precursor is to maximize your chances. This means either dumping items in the Mystic Forge or maximizing your kills per hour while running high Magic Find.

Doing normal gameplay will give you very few rolls for a precursor, which is why many people are able to play the game since launch and never see one. Essentially, if you want to increase your odds of winning the lottery, you have to buy more tickets. Only problem is that buying more tickets involved really boring gameplay.

You mean investing more time? But then we got a deadlock because not everyone can spare more time, I bet many people complaining about this system can’t play that much, EVEN if someone who plays just a little has dropped a precursor, we talk average not isolated cases.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

mtpelion.4562

You mean investing more time? But then we got a deadlock because not everyone can spare more time, I bet many people complaining about this system can’t play that much, EVEN if someone who plays just a little has dropped a precursor, we talk average not isolated cases.

I think that in general, time invested isn’t the problem, it is the fact that you don’t feel as though your time invested is actually doing anything until it suddenly pays off.

Using a method in which you slowly accumulate your Precursor lets you visually see your progress as it happens.

It really isn’t any different from the current method of obtaining gold to buy a Precursor in terms of time (well, maybe less time depending on the rate of inflation), but it actually gives you feedback letting you know that you are progressing which makes the time investment seem less daunting.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

It would be nice if they added a precurser of your choice to the 10k AP chest. That way its not too easy and not too difficult to get one.

*Precursor Rage*

Valento.9852

I think that in general, time invested isn’t the problem, it is the fact that you don’t feel as though your time invested is actually doing anything until it suddenly pays off.

Using a method in which you slowly accumulate your Precursor lets you visually see your progress as it happens.

It really isn’t any different from the current method of obtaining gold to buy a Precursor in terms of time (well, maybe less time depending on the rate of inflation), but it actually gives you feedback letting you know that you are progressing which makes the time investment seem less daunting.

I agree with you, maybe that’s the purpose of those journal links. I’m sure someone in ANet didn’t overlook how terrible the current system is, and is trying their best to come up with something real for us.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: LunaticSerenade.7615

LunaticSerenade.7615

It would be nice if they added a precurser of your choice to the 10k AP chest. That way its not too easy and not too difficult to get one.

Maybe the 15k or 20k chests. 10k is fairly easy with the LS achievements.

Fayde Lightbane – Level 80 Thief | Taveren Mighthammer – Level 80 Warrior
Kavohl Serien – Level 80 Ranger | Merin Leafsower – Level 80 Engineer
Kolbjorn Wolfsbane – Level 80 Guardian

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

15k Maybe.

The highest ap I’ve seen ingame is 13k , so it might be “easy for you”, but ls ap’s would’ve taken almost a year long anyway,

Isn’t the 10k ap chest enough? casuals don’t build up ap’s so quick. and at least it doesn’t seem like its so far away. 20k ap, I imagine that would take me 2-3 years. It’s ridiculously far away and would actually be far easier to save gold >.>

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

Not if you don’t like PvP and don’t have massive amounts of time to grind through WvW for hours on end. 10k is hard enough and I doubt I’ll ever see that, it took a year and a half for me to reach 5k, and there isn’t nearly as much for me to do now with all the JPs completed and most of the explorer achievements done. Even someone who reaches 5k has proven their commitment to the game.

This!! I have a full time job, a wife, two kids, and an acreage to take of. My “serious” game play is typically relegated to late in the evening when I actually have an hour or two of free time for myself. When I have time to play I’d rather “PLAY” not grind the same mobs or same 4 champions incessantly for hours on end chasing the illusion of some carrot on an invisible string. Unfortunately, it’s the grinders and career farmers this game rewards, not those who actually play it like ANet claims they want people to play. Perhaps I just have more of a life outside of gaming than is required for an MMO. :P

15k Maybe.

The highest ap I’ve seen ingame is 13k , so it might be “easy for you”, but ls ap’s would’ve taken almost a year long anyway,

Isn’t the 10k ap chest enough? casuals don’t build up ap’s so quick. and at least it doesn’t seem like its so far away. 20k ap, I imagine that would take me 2-3 years. It’s ridiculously far away and would actually be far easier to save gold >.>

I’ve seen people with 20k, but that’s so far out of my reach that GW3 will be out before I ever come close to getting there. I can’t even conceive of having that much free time or sitting in front of the game for as long as that would require even if I did have that much free time.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

In the update review they added ascended weaponsmith they said during this next year they’ll be adding the option to craft precursors.

That was during the ‘looking ahead’ statement they made last year and it was supposed to be scheduled for end 2013. Since then they had stated that the rewards systems had changed after making that comment and that they won’t be adding precursor crafting any time soon.

Mark Katzbach only said it wouldn’t be in the Feature Pack and they would share details on this system once it’s far enough along in production and are ready to discuss it. Could be in two months or could be in November.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

In the update review they added ascended weaponsmith they said during this next year they’ll be adding the option to craft precursors.

That was during the ‘looking ahead’ statement they made last year and it was supposed to be scheduled for end 2013. Since then they had stated that the rewards systems had changed after making that comment and that they won’t be adding precursor crafting any time soon.

Mark Katzbach only said it wouldn’t be in the Feature Pack and they would share details on this system once it’s far enough along in production and are ready to discuss it. Could be in two months or could be in November.

…could be never and just be them blowing a bunch of smoke to calm the masses.

*Precursor Rage*

Chuck.8196

For sure a possibility . I’m against it. I hope it never happens. If it does it should require a ridiculous amount of mats. Enough to completely dissuade average players from making one.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Easy for anyone who’s played since the beginning of the LS. I started playing when Marionette was still out, and just last week I finally reached 4k AP.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

Been in this game since the 3 days head-start launch, I have yet to have a Precursor drop for me…. I stopped hoping for a drop a year ago, the moment a in-game friend of mine, one whom own, literally owns 4 Legendaries had Dawn drop for him during the Grenth battle.

Congratulations to my friend, but on the same token, he already owned 4 legendaries yet still had a Precursor drop for him… My heart…. sank.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

For sure a possibility . I’m against it. I hope it never happens. If it does it should require a ridiculous amount of mats. Enough to completely dissuade average players from making one.

I seem to remember them saying that if they did that, it would be new precursors with new legendaries. Either way, I agree that they shouldn’t be crafted. I’d like to see them fix the current method of attaining things like precursors and find some way to discourage player to player price gouging. Personally, I think this would be a better game if there were no player to player trading.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Precursors should drop from completing personal story.
Precursors should drop from gathering.
Precursors should drop from map completion.
Precursors should drop from PvP and boss chests.
Precursors should drop from the forge.

See what I did there? I don’t give a kitten about their rarity. There is enough grind involved in making a legendary without keeping the precursor rare.

Also, I don’t like your comment so you lose 10 internet points. 0.0

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

*Precursor Rage*

Chuck.8196

Precursors should drop from completing personal story.
Precursors should drop from gathering.
Precursors should drop from map completion.

See what I did there? I don’t give a kitten about their rarity. There is enough grind involved in making a legendary without keeping the precursor rare.

Also, I don’t like your comment so you lose 10 internet points. 0.0

These I agree with and already have a chance to receive them. I don’t follow the others
And if what your saying is you want some of the rarest and most visually appealing weapons in the game given to you for just playing the game, I would have to disagree as then they are no longer as appealing. There is still an abundance of nice skins you can unlock now and you can craft ascended weapons. You don’t fly first class if you make minimum wage. You should be required to make the effort.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

i beat rng and brought dusk for 922 g it took me 3 weeks >.>

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

i beat rng and brought dusk for 922 g it took me 3 weeks >.>

Averaging nearly 44g a day. You’re doing much better than I my friend. I might get that on a good weekend if I play the TP a bit.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

let’s wait and hope that Anet team comes up with the idea of making precursors via playing the game (fingers crossed for next feature pack)

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: eraser.8031

eraser.8031

let’s wait and hope that Anet team comes up with the idea of making precursors via playing the game (fingers crossed for next feature pack)

The price is rocketing dont kid yourselfs “gems lead to money, Money leads to anger, rng leads to suffering.” in the words of yoda!

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

The price is rocketing dont kid yourselfs “gems lead to money, Money leads to anger, rng leads to suffering.” in the words of yoda!

Once upon a time dusk was 50g and celestial dye was 10 silver

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: eraser.8031

eraser.8031

I sold The Legend for 800 gold now worth 1300 gold my idea at the time was save for legendary cut out the middle man but now wish i had kept and crafted Legendary.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

There are many more interesting and intelligent ways to create gold sinks than to frustrate your player base. I wouldn’t dream of converting gems to gold to get to a precursor. I guess we are all fools putting stuff in the forge

The thing is though, some people win at RNG completely. A guildie has had NINE precursors drop in the last year or so. Two of those in a week after he quit playing for three months. (Edit: He came back, obviously)

I have spent 20g to get The Lover and maybe 60g to get The Hunter when I was bored and wanted to try it out. I was phenomenally lucky at the time and it gave me enough gold to start and finish Flameseeker Prophecies when I decided which one I wanted. Since starting on my second, Incinerator, probably dropped at least 800 daggers in and nothing (most crafted considering their price on the BLT now). The RNG anecdotes are just viable enough to keep people going back to the forge, and couple that with the abysmal drop rates…

I have an irrational belief that the RNG is seeded or set up so that you have a higher chance of a “lucky” roll on your first N tries — based on stories like this and my own experiences. I don’t well-controlled data to support this, but it does match their motivation (I don’t think it has anything to do with getting players to buy gold via gems — I don’t think Aidenwolf’s argument there makes sense).

They’ve said that they like the idea that occasionally players will be surprised with great luck — a good drop, etc. Perhaps increasing the likelihood on the first couple of tries (not just for a precursor — RNG is used in many places) by a small amount wouldn’t distort the economy too much, and would encourage casual players to keep playing (or to come back).

None of the anecdotes are hard data for this, and having done simulations I’m well aware of how actual random distributions look — as well as the bias you get from looking at posting or pings in chat. So I don’t think this belief is rational … but there it is.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’m used to this. Anet on their big spin-cycle, more words and no action. But that doesn’t mean we have to like it.

Stop marking time Anet, start marching.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

*Precursor Rage*

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

~~

for every dude who got it on his first try there is a dude who gets it on the 6904th try(probability wise)

I’ve been on both ends of the spectrum. I know exactly what it’s like. Statistically the more attempts you have at making the precursor in the forge, the better your chances should be. But we know the chances of making one aren’t incremental in statistics. It starts over again every time.

Having said this, I’d love to feel that one-shot-miracle throw in the forge and “getting a bullseye” all over again. It’s a great feeling.

*Precursor Rage*

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

These I agree with and already have a chance to receive them. I don’t follow the others
And if what your saying is you want some of the rarest and most visually appealing weapons in the game given to you for just playing the game, I would have to disagree as then they are no longer as appealing. There is still an abundance of nice skins you can unlock now and you can craft ascended weapons. You don’t fly first class if you make minimum wage. You should be required to make the effort.

I don’t know what all the fuss is about, making it incredibly difficult to land one piece of a given weapon that is EXCEEDINGLY common among the masses. You’ll see them everywhere, just look for the pixels and footfalls.

I was reminded of just what Anet has done to the prestige of these weapons from 15th April patch just the other day. Standing at Krennak’s Homestead waypoint waiting for Frozen Maw to pop, looking at a lowly Lvl 3 Elementalist, wielding the Bifrost. >_<

First it was RNG that was broken, now ‘prestige’ is a joke.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Callendor.1840

Callendor.1840

I got mine from the MF, I was a little lucky though…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsOmoTdLNJU

*Precursor Rage*

Valento.9852

I got mine from the MF, I was a little lucky though…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsOmoTdLNJU

You’re hated by a stranger now!!! -_-

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

kittening RNG.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

*Precursor Rage*

Valento.9852

Hopefully they’ll come up with something in 2015, else I give up on ANYTHING they say.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

Hopefully they’ll come up with something in 2015, else I give up on ANYTHING they say.

you might see it earlier than that my guess is summer/fall for next feature pack which will possibly include scavenger hunt.

*Precursor Rage*

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

yawn

Where have I heard that before?

Oh, yes…. >_< I’ve become immune to stall tactics.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Let’s not forget that rares yield less than a 1% chance to get a precursor. It’s like 0.3% ‘ish right? 0.3% is rubbish odds, period. It’s not unlikely it would take thousands of attempts. I just wish exotics were more than 1%.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Meanwhile, the Chinese already got a more reliable way to get a precursor that doesn’t cost +1000gold…

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Kernave.5732

Kernave.5732

Let’s not forget that rares yield less than a 1% chance to get a precursor. It’s like 0.3% ‘ish right? 0.3% is rubbish odds, period. It’s not unlikely it would take thousands of attempts. I just wish exotics were more than 1%.

Wow… how pathetic

*Precursor Rage*

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Yeah I already tried this — I made 1000 staves myself (bought most materials, as it would take forever to farm them) and basically tossed 400g-ish down the toilet. All to see whether or not the 1-in-1000 rate would hold, but obviously it doesn’t. We’ve all read the stories about people who wasted away 15-20k attempts with rares in the forge, however we’ve also seen that some can get quite lucky with rares as well.

If you never try it out, you’ll never know. I had to give it a go to see if it was my time, but it wasn’t. It’s a massive double-edged sword — do you take the chance, knowing that if you didn’t you’ll be kicking yourself because it could have been you with a precursor instead of some lucky joe, or do you go with prior knowledge, statistics and basic commonsense that tells you that the odds are very much against you, and you shouldn’t do it. It’s precisely the latter which makes people go for one on the TP in the first place. But think about it… how legendary is it that you bought someone else’s luck? By the same token, how legendary is it that RNG should favour you? Neither are legendary… but the latter sure feels better than splurging on the TP.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Meanwhile some random guy throws in 4 random golds and gets a precursor with first attempt.

*Precursor Rage*

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I remember the first time I saw this think that you were going to accidentally throw Dawn into the forge

*Precursor Rage*

mtpelion.4562

You guys are going to hate me, but Leaf of Kudzu popped out of the forge for me yesterday.

I was just crafting Cleric Exotics so I could unlock the skins. I had 4 left, dropped them in the forge, and out popped my first Precursor.

*Precursor Rage*

Leamas.5803

You guys are going to hate me, but Leaf of Kudzu popped out of the forge for me yesterday.

I was just crafting Cleric Exotics so I could unlock the skins. I had 4 left, dropped them in the forge, and out popped my first Precursor.

It happens, for sure, but I will never spend gold on the forge. I put in dropped rares when I get them and an will occasionally craft rares to throw in since most of those materials are worthless anyway. It would probably be more cost effective to actually sell those crafted rares these days.