Preview on precursor crafting feedback

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I think people wanted a scavenger hunt for an account bound precursor that they figured would involve a time sink but that wouldn’t add a gold sink on top of the time sink. Does that sound about right? Oh well.

Here’s how it is gonna play out: A player that wants Howler isn’t gonna do the precursor quest for Howler. They will do it for whatever precursor is the most expensive that they personally don’t want or like. They will sell that and buy the pre for Howler and have leftover money to put towards their T6 mats etc.

Am I correct in assuming with the old pres that you can make one this way and it’s not account bound? The new ones are only obtained through the new method? Is that correct?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Anyone that thought precursor/legendary crafting was gonna be easy or cheaper was/is delusional. Its gonna be a grind.

I wouldn’t really say it is much of a grind, based on what we have seen at least. It is plenty of work, sure. But it seems to be very little actual repetition and grinding.

It will be every bit of grind and repetition required to maximize the chance of someone giving up and just paying cash for gold to buy one off the TP.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Am I correct in assuming with the old pres that you can make one this way and it’s not account bound?

From the Legendary Journey post earlier this year:

" This final collection unlocks the recipe to craft the polished final iteration of the precursor. For all of our existing precursors, this is a tradable exotic weapon, but they will all be updated to use new skins that look much like the legendary weapons they’ll one day become. "

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

I’m just happy that after 3 years, they’ve realized that precursors are the real culprits…

Attachments:

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Strzalka.9451

Strzalka.9451

I wanted a means of crafting a legendary that did not include RNG. That is what they are implementing. Success

And the potential 30 days of time-gated crafting is significantly better than 3 years of waiting for RNG to yield a positive result.

Diabel Zwierze/Ranger
80’s – Necro/War/Ele/Guard

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I wanted a means of crafting a legendary that did not include RNG. That is what they are implementing. Success

And the potential 30 days of time-gated crafting is significantly better than 3 years of waiting for RNG to yield a positive result.

And what’s better yet, people can start now and stock up on those items. I also suggest doing the same for leather and cloth too in case legendary armor uses them in some way. If not, you can always sell them.

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

Ugh, I don’t like the idea of having a high crafting cost. It just means that those materials are going to go up in price until the total crafting cost is only a bit under the TP cost. Elonian Leather squares have shot up in price from the announcement alone. I like the collection aspect, but going through the effort of completing all of those collections should mitigate a lot more of the actual gold cost than it appears it will be.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Lets be honest gw2 item design team has very rarely designed items that were fun to obtain.
They have always erred towarda intense grind and large numbers with a focus on item creation as a function of adjusting the economy.

You will never get any fun item aquisitions tied in anyway to the economy. The game will never feel rewarding because they have already decided on low progress achieved on any worthwhile action.

If they give good loot, they will increase item need to compensate. Its basically a no win system.

Due to this economy based items will always come down to grinding effeciently, or hustling gold substantially better than other people.

never expect cool item aquisition in this game its really a game designed for grinding from day one, and that has only gotten worse

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe the new Map Rewards, and the fact you can somewhat choose which mats to collaterally collect will have an impact (and lower cost of mats). Dunno.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Did anyone actually expect the precursor crafting to be fast, easy or cheap? its an option. Buy, RNG or craft. They reasonably should be about the same cost in gold or time to get or one way will be used and the others ignored.

Agree! for me the new method is fair work slowly but surely if they still complain well wow! and even if you throw a couple of hundred gold its fine cause your surely get it rather throwing it in the toilet and get nothing.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It will be every bit of grind and repetition required to maximize the chance of someone giving up and just paying cash for gold to buy one off the TP.

People keep changing the definition of grind basically daily it seems.

What, based on the information we saw on the stream, would be considered a grind for that Precursor?

As far as I saw, there were mainly: Run around and do these things in these different places. That is basically the opposite of grinding the same mob over and over and over and over and over again.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Question in between, because I didn’t hear it answered or I might have missed it: Can I do this Legendary Journey more than once? For example, get Juggernaut AND Sunrise? And if yes, can I complete each single one more than once too, to get 2 Quips for dual wield for example (no way I’d really do this, that thing’s hideous >.<)?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Question in between, because I didn’t hear it answered or I might have missed it: Can I do this Legendary Journey more than once? For example, get Juggernaut AND Sunrise? And if yes, can I complete each single one more than once too, to get 2 Quips for dual wield for example (no way I’d really do this, that thing’s hideous >.<)?

You can craft each one once. If you want a second of any one you’ll need to go the old route of purchase or RNG.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/
Completing the first tier allows you to unlock the start of a journey to acquire any of these original-release precursors by visiting the Mastery vendor and choosing which precursor you want to work on first
(Snip)
This crafting system is an account-based activity, which means you’ll only be able to craft each precursor this way once. However, all of the currently existing precursor acquisition methods will remain intact in addition to this new acquisition method. That means that if you want a particular precursor more than once, you’ll have to fall back to the original methods of acquisition.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

I expected it to be like
300 daily dungeons
50 daily fractals
500 world invader kills
100 PvP captures

etc etc… (Make this harder if it is too easy).
Something that is difficult, takes a lot if time and gets players to play all the content instead of mindlessly pressing f all day.
I’m a little disappointed they made it to be in the same form it is now.

And to the people saying it should be just as hard as buying it off the TP, it shouldn’t. It should be slightly easier. There is a reason you can only do this once per precursor.

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Thanks for answering that, Just a flesh wound. Makes sense that they wouldn’t allow it to be unlimited.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Here’s how it is gonna play out: A player that wants Howler isn’t gonna do the precursor quest for Howler. They will do it for whatever precursor is the most expensive that they personally don’t want or like. They will sell that and buy the pre for Howler and have leftover money to put towards their T6 mats etc.

I thought a little more about this and i dont think its neccessarily a bad thing because it brings precursor prices more in line.

Expensive ones get produced amd sold more often and cheaper ones get bought more from the tp.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I think what would help would be when you salvage ascended armour/weapons you get a partial refund of the ascended mats used to create it. Since ascended amour /weapons can’t be bought off the TP you either got it as a very lucky drop or you crafted it yourself.

It seems logical that if you wanted to replace your ascended gear with its legendary counterpart then you should be able to get some of the ascended materials back from salvaging it. Otherwise the basic mat prices are just going to go through the roof because you will need them for both ascended crafting and legendary crafting.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If we take this knowledge of the t3 part and apply it to the other stages, we will probably end up spending 30 spiritwood planks, 30 deldrimor steel ingots, and 3 legendary inscriptions (lets just assume this ranges from 5 to 30 spiritwood planks/deldrimor steel ingots total) and the cost turns out to be the same or higher for the hammer precursor than on the TP but now the collection just became a timegating punishment for crafting the precursor.

I never expected it to get really cheaper .. or at least expected that price + the time
for the needed grind would in the end still make it not really cheaper. But the
good thing is, you no longer can grind what you like to grind, but you must grind
what ANet wants you to grind .. yay.

In the end everything where ANet “listens to the players” so far just makes the
game more and more annoying in my eyes and moves it away from why i
started to play the game.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

lordkrall.7241

Where do people get all these “massive grind” parts from? Based on what we saw yesterday a THIRD of the Journey is tied to materials, while two thirds were more about doing stuff (not repeating stuff, doing different stuff).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Did anyone actually expect the precursor crafting to be fast, easy or cheap? its an option. Buy, RNG or craft.

Exactly. Buy, RNG, or craft. None of the currently existing options is time consuming, hard and costly, so there was no reason to assume the new one will be. It seems however, that it’s exactly the case.
I mean, if you have two options that are equally costly, but one (crafting) is in addition to that also hard and takes a lot of time, then they aren’t balanced.

I have fully expect the crafted precursors to be a mat and gold sink, but still at the level below current top precursor tp prices, to balance the effort put in non-grind requirements of crafting. Buying is the easy way. There should be advantages to picking other options.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Havent read all the responses, but a lot of the first posts was about the total gold cost ending up being the same or more, and i’m wondering where did they give you a list of the full materials and things you need to buy to make your precursor to give this assumption that it will be either the same cost or even more than just buying from tp? (not saying it cannot be true, i expect there to be quite some gold to be spent, but at this point isn’t it jsut assuming without the full craft list?)

I like this precursor crafting, it’s amixture of gold and time. yes you can farm the silverwastes for all the gold to buy every item that can be bought with gold through tp or the vendor, but this is no longer the only option. People can finally gather the amterials they need themselves, jsut as they were able to get all those T6 mats for the gifts, without spending a single silver. And that’s whats important i believe, you have the option to just throw money at it, but atleast now we can also gather the amterials and work towards it gradually and over time. Not to mention the amount of stuff that’s simply doing stuff all around the world, it’s a great system imo. People who want things quickly will stil throw money and buy every sngle thing they can from tp, but it’s no longer just that.

Posted by: Juclesia Elcritian.8410

Juclesia Elcritian.8410

So what about underwater precursors that are only worth 50-100g? Why would I do a collection that takes more time and money than spending 50g on the TP?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Can someone clarify me this point fast?

• Is the crafted precursor (of the current Tyrian legendary weapons) account-bound?
  • Is the legendary weapon made from the crafted precursor account-bound?

Things I know so far is that both crafted precursors and legendary weapons of the Maguuma set are account-bound.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Can someone clarify me this point fast?

• Is the crafted precursor (of the current Tyrian legendary weapons) account-bound?
  • Is the legendary weapon made from the crafted precursor account-bound?

Things I know so far is that both crafted precursors and legendary weapons of the Maguuma set are account-bound.

Yes and yes, that will be the case, if it’s not ac bound it would ruin the economy.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Can you link the official confirmation pls?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

http://dulfy.net/2015/09/26/gw2-twitchcon-legendary-journey-in-hot/

Of note:

This will give you an account bound precursor.

Also

A livestream will be showcasing the new Legendary weapons sometime between now and HoT launch. New Legendaries and their precursors will be account bound. Legendary backpack/armor will also be account bound so you have to play the content to get them.

There is nothing about the Legendary weapons crafted from the collection Precursor though

dsslive.8473

So what about underwater precursors that are only worth 50-100g? Why would I do a collection that takes more time and money than spending 50g on the TP?

Because you’d want to? if you don’t, then don’t. Options are options, you can buy or work towards it.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Now you can feel kitten about being unable to afford a precursor in a whole new way!
Now, you can’t even afford to make one!

Leave it to Anet not to understand what the problem was in the first place!

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

snipsnip

Not so much but they did say it will be enough to keep the existing prices thus the materials should equal about the same in the end. They mentioned time is calculated as well but then again farming gold is time consuming as well so who knows how it will be in the end. If people start to craft Pre’s then the existing pre’s will eventually come down in price maybe to the point that simply buying it will be cheaper since crafting requires timegated items.

http://dulfy.net/2015/09/26/gw2-twitchcon-legendary-journey-in-hot/

“The second collection ensures that there is a proper gold and time value to each of the precursors to maintain their value in the game.” – Cited from that Link

And the problem a lot of us see, is that they typically can’t see more than two inches in front of their nose.
Yeah, we expected them to design it not to crash precursers.
But the amounts required “gold cost” is almost certainly balanced around current market conditions. When the demand for those mats skyrockets prices are going to go up. If they go up high enough that it really is cheaper to buy the pre, then that’s what people are going to do.
The buying and crafting of pres will balance, and depending on what and how much (especially as people speculate on large quantities of it) I could just as easily see this pushing the price of pres up instead of down.
Thus some concerns about this making it worse.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I think the average price of legacy precursors will go up for at least the short term. Same applies for Ascended gear.

Personally, I still won’t attempt getting one and will just benefit from the increased demand for materials.

I can’t wait to see the lore behind the Dreamer though. Will the collection require napping at different locations throughout Tyria? I may end up getting HoT while it is still at full price just to see how Arenanet pulls unicorns out of their kitty.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

lordkrall.7241

Wasn’t the problem that it was totally RNG and no story whatsoever behind it?

I would say this seems to show rather clearly understanding of those problems, since they are removing both of them.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

I am quite disappointed by this, i was also expecting the precursor scavenger hunt to be much more like the luminescent armor hunt. Would have been fun and wouldn’t have made me feel like i need to farm more gold in the silverwastes.

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

I would say this seems to show rather clearly understanding of those problems, since they are removing both of them.

The story was never a major problem, although it bothered some people.

The problem was the RNG element which forced players to buy precursors on the TP, where prices were artificially inflated due to people buying them with real money through currency exchange. This put players who just played the game without spending tons of real money at a significant disavantage.

If precursor crafting involves a lot of materials available on the TP, the same thing will happen again, only in another form. Prices of crafted precursor will become almost the same as buying them straight off the TP.

I was hoping for a way to craft precursors that involved exlusively account bound materials, with some of them costing a fixed amount of money, like Icy Runestones, to create an effective way of controlling precursor prices, and make sure they don’t spiral out of control through real-money transactions.

As it stands, this seems like a partial fix to the problem at best, although we will obviously have to see how it works before knowing for sure.

Therodin.2970

Icy runestones, lots of karma items and junk from around the world. I saw so much more cool stuff happening than needing soo many ascended materials.

dsslive.8473

The story was never a major problem, although it bothered some people.

The problem was the RNG element which forced players to buy precursors on the TP, where prices were artificially inflated due to people buying them with real money through currency exchange. This put players who just played the game without spending tons of real money at a significant disavantage.

If precursor crafting involves a lot of materials available on the TP, the same thing will happen again, only in another form. Prices of crafted precursor will become almost the same as buying them straight off the TP.

I was hoping for a way to craft precursors that involved exlusively account bound materials, with some of them costing a fixed amount of money, like Icy Runestones, to create an effective way of controlling precursor prices, and make sure they don’t spiral out of control through real-money transactions.

As it stands, this seems like a partial fix to the problem at best, although we will obviously have to see how it works before knowing for sure.

On the other hand, people can go out and mine their own mithril ore or chop their own wood to craft the spiritwood. This gives people the option to work towards it in a way that doesn’t rely on rng, which is what people were asking for. The fact that it requires items that can be boght on tp is no different from the already needed materials that can be bought from tp used for the gifts (like the 250 T6 mats) . If one really wants to throw gold at it and buy every single piece that can be bought on tp, than that is their choice, but those who chose not to can go out in the world and retrieve the items needed for themselves.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

IF the price of precursors on the TP is lower than the price to create them, while also crafting them requires all those extra things, then the precursor crafting won’t serve an actual purpose. Instead, it will be used to increase the prices of materials needed for them and do absolutely nothing to help players acquire them. Also, the prices of precursors and legendary weapons will go up. Overall, all that precursor crafting will do is increase TP prices for materials and precursors alike, which will affect much more than just precursor. If that’s what they are aiming at then fine, otherwise, the price to craft them must be much lower than their TP price, but how are they going to ensure that?

We will have to see how they balance the precursors but in my opinion all precursors should have a very equal cost in making them. This is so they are viable in the long run, if they base the materials needed to craft precursors based on their current TP price it will be sad. What happens for example if in the distant future Storm passes Dusk in price? Will the material requirements to craft them also change over time? I doubt it.

Therodin.2970

There was already a non rng way of getting a precursor. Grinding out the gold required to buy it off the trading post. With the addition of this new scavenger hunt, you have the option of spending that gold on the pre from the tp, or over the course of 30 days spending (probably) close to the same amount on crafting ascended materials.

Ayrilana.1396

Please prove this.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Anyone that thought precursor/legendary crafting was gonna be easy or cheaper was/is delusional. Its gonna be a grind.

Now you can feel kitten about being unable to afford a precursor in a whole new way!
Now, you can’t even afford to make one!

You can’t afford mining picks and logging axes?

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

where prices were artificially inflated due to people buying them with real money through currency exchange. This put players who just played the game without spending tons of real money at a significant disavantage.

Please prove this.

I converted some gems to gold in order to buy legendary mats when I made mine three years ago. Back then gems to gold conversion was abysmal so I didn’t even do much of it for icy runestones just T6 mostly.

Posted by: Sasuke.2573

Sasuke.2573

I like what I have seen so far. Im not particularly interested in a legendary weapon atm, but the new collections look like they are going to be fun. Collections where you have to run around in the world doing something instead of opening the TP and buying everything. And they give AP. Considering the amount of precursors we are granted to get a whole bunch of these collections, so many new tasks to do. Im looking forward to do it.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

I’m happy for this since we’ve been waiting for like 2 years now, and Colin’s comment was funny on twitch stream yesterday when he talked about this on his blog post 2 years ago.

Also it seems some posters are forgetting about the new map reward system that will help make getting mats easier by doing events, JP’s etc.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Ayrilana.1396

where prices were artificially inflated due to people buying them with real money through currency exchange. This put players who just played the game without spending tons of real money at a significant disavantage.

Please prove this.

I converted some gems to gold in order to buy legendary mats when I made mine three years ago. Back then gems to gold conversion was abysmal so I didn’t even do much of it for icy runestones just T6 mostly.

I went and edited my post. I accidentally cut off the first part of their sentence I was quoting and then I bolded the part that I wanted them to prove.

Just because there’s the option to purchase gold with gems, doesn’t mean that high prices for some items are caused by that. The poster was arguing the opposite which was why I wanted them to prove their statement. They completely disregarded that the price was determined by the supply (e.g. RNG and cost for mats used to MF) and the demand for that particular precursor.

Wanze.8410

The problem was the RNG element which forced players to buy precursors on the TP, where prices were artificially inflated due to people buying them with real money through currency exchange.

This is not true, most precursors reflect the value of materials (mithril/elder/t5 fine mats) that someone has to use in order to craft enough rares to forge a precursor on average, or the value of the corresponding rares on the tp.

In fact, the cheaper precursors are offered below forging value atm.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Please prove this.

While not proof that RMT preferentially affected the price of Legenderies/Precursors, I think it is a safe assumption that RMT would preferentially effect the items that generate the greatest demand for gold. No way to be certain without access to the data.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I thought a little more about this and i dont think its neccessarily a bad thing because it brings precursor prices more in line.

Expensive ones get produced amd sold more often and cheaper ones get bought more from the tp.

Did they change something? I thought that these precursors obtained through crafting were supposed to be account bound?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Did they change something? I thought that these precursors obtained through crafting were supposed to be account bound?

Nope, precursors obtained through crafting will be account bound.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Please prove this.

I went and edited my post. I accidentally cut off the first part of their sentence I was quoting and then I bolded the part that I wanted them to prove.

Just because there’s the option to purchase gold with gems, doesn’t mean that high prices for some items are caused by that. The poster was arguing the opposite which was why I wanted them to prove their statement. They completely disregarded that the price was determined by the supply (e.g. RNG and cost for mats used to MF) and the demand for that particular precursor.

Think of it this way: if you farm for powerful blood (Bloodtide Coast didn’t exist back when I got my legendary) and other T6 long enough you will eventually get some. I used that logic to win my precursor from the forge. I had level 400 huntsman so I can continually forge rare level 80 shortbows and mystic forge them.

However, due to the relative rarity of T6 mats it makes RMT a very attractive option at least to meet the criteria halfway. You will get some T6, but not 250 in a reasonable time.

Wanze.8410

According to RoseofGilead, who quoted the blogpost, i think, only the new precursors will be account bound, the old ones will be tradeable:

Am I correct in assuming with the old pres that you can make one this way and it’s not account bound?

From the Legendary Journey post earlier this year:

" This final collection unlocks the recipe to craft the polished final iteration of the precursor. For all of our existing precursors, this is a tradable exotic weapon, but they will all be updated to use new skins that look much like the legendary weapons they’ll one day become. "

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Reasons to do the precursor collection instead of buy from the tp IF the collection costs the same or less:

-You get achievements completing the collection
-You get 1 skin for each part of the collection you complete
-Some people have problems saving large amounts of gold, because they spend it before they reach the total ammount. Dividing it in parcels help them to achieve their goals in game.

Anyway it is a good idea that they are adding a new feature to the game that is no 100% rng based.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]