Quick note on Ep4 bundled updates

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I really hope the map doesn’t die out because of this. I can already picture the event being less occupied once the patch releases. Maybe a few runs to test it out to see how it is after the change, but probably not much after that.

The majority will simply move to the next most profitable spot unless a new map is introduced. In which case the newest map will be busy for weeks, until people have the newest trinkets to show off, and will then go back to farming the next most profitable spot. This is what happens when you run your entire game on principle of scarcity.

The most profitable is obviously Silverwastes in this case, and that can be farmed 24/7 no down time. However I’m pretty interested in the leather farming stuff, but kinda bummed you need a group to do it. I’m more of a solo player and like to do things on my own most of the time.

I’m hoping that what it means is you need other players around, not that you need to party up and go in an instance a’la dungeons/fractals. Possibly it will require active motion to avoid afk farmers, and won’t be easily done without other players, but you shouldn’t be required to be in a group or squad to have a chance at leather. Here’s hoping.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I’m glad to hear that there’s new content coming, I have to say I’m a little surprised at ANet’s chosen solution to address it. A new (tough?) group-content farm? Why not simply adjust down the number of Thick Leather Sections needed to make squares from 4 to 3, and then give us the ability to directly salvage karma items? Need leather of any tier? Just go to the appropriate level map, find a vendor, and buy his stuff for salvage. You can already kind of do this by buying the items, mystic forging them, and then salvaging the result, but not many people do this because a) not everybody has access to a Mystic Forge Conduit and so buying the items and lugging them back to LA is too time-consuming for most players, and b) all that clicking gets annoying. Like, SUPER annoying.

I honestly can’t really see much drawback to this method. Sure, you would get a ton of Minor Runes/Sigils this way, but nearly all Minor upgrades are already languishing at vendor price anyway. A jump in the amount of Luck being produced could be addressed by giving us a Luck-eating gizmo for players who already have maxed out Luck. And with the change to dailies giving players 2g every day, I feel that newbie players wouldn’t really be hampered by a drop in lower-tier mat prices. At 2g a day, a newbie player could easily afford to outfit a character in Exotic gear in a week or so, and that gear would suffice to take them through 95% of the game’s content (excluding only high-level Fractals and raids).

Finally, make it so that salvaging Exotics always gives back T6 mats. There are lots of Exotic armor pieces on the TP that are close to Rares in price, simply because there’s no real use for them.

As a final note, I’m still waiting for that update that introduces new material storage slots. Any word on when that will arrive?

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

I really hope the map doesn’t die out because of this. I can already picture the event being less occupied once the patch releases. Maybe a few runs to test it out to see how it is after the change, but probably not much after that.

The majority will simply move to the next most profitable spot unless a new map is introduced. In which case the newest map will be busy for weeks, until people have the newest trinkets to show off, and will then go back to farming the next most profitable spot. This is what happens when you run your entire game on principle of scarcity.

The most profitable is obviously Silverwastes in this case, and that can be farmed 24/7 no down time. However I’m pretty interested in the leather farming stuff, but kinda bummed you need a group to do it. I’m more of a solo player and like to do things on my own most of the time.

I’m hoping that what it means is you need other players around, not that you need to party up and go in an instance a’la dungeons/fractals. Possibly it will require active motion to avoid afk farmers, and won’t be easily done without other players, but you shouldn’t be required to be in a group or squad to have a chance at leather. Here’s hoping.

Some reason I have a feeling since “Challenging group-farming” was mentioned.. it might be raid based

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

its good to hear about the leather farm finally and the ml fix tahts good but its sad that we will not see the lengendary armor for like 3 more months at this point im good with just getting the raids as well as the prec tho and after that i think it would be ok to w8 that time for the legendary armor.

Posted by: shox.1586

shox.1586

Hey guys,about AB “fix” does that means that we can’t loot on others maps anymore?all we can do now is run one map per event?

(edited by shox.1586)

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Some reason I have a feeling since “Challenging group-farming” was mentioned.. it might be raid based

There are plenty of other ways to make it challenging.

Off the top of my head: Defeat one Legendary event in Dry Top at T4 or better for a Chest of Leather. Quality improves with more events and higher tiers. Similar idea could be applied to Verdant Brink, possibly also Tangled Depths (based on number of Lane metas completed) and AB (for number of pre-events completed before Octo). For the HoT maps, instead of a chest, just add leather of the expected tier(s) in the meta chests (increased rate for higher tiers as above).

The Silverwaste Legendaries are somewhat RNG based, so it would be harder to make that one work.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

(edited by Sungak Alkandenes.1369)

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

This is genuine question as I’m not into all these legendaries: is there some elaborate quest or event involved in making legendary armour? Or do you just have to gather X number of this and that?
What I gather regarding the new legendary weapons, you just need enough mats to drop into forge and you get the item.
If this be the case with armour as well, I’m seriously wondering why it takes more than a year to make some silly 3D models to put in game?
I’m no 3D modelling expert, but that’s a week’s worth of job for small team to put together…

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Hey guys,about AB “fix” does that means that we can’t loot on others maps anymore?all we can do now is run one map per event?

Yes thats exactly what it means.

Posted by: Jwake.7013

Jwake.7013

To answer a couple of the questions about the AB Multiloot changes, if you disconnect, you will be able to continue looting the rest of the chests even if you end up in a different map instance, but you are limited in the total number of chests you loot. The restrictions are account-wide.

Thanks for answering my question about the character or account bound thing. While I’m sad to see the AB meta nurf, I can understand it. Most of all I do appreciate the open dialog you (the dev’s) have kept with us (the players) on this topic and been willing to give us a heads up and even shared details on how it would work. So for that, thank you.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Or, the Devs might have thought, “Instead of just adjusting recipes, let’s give the players new content as a way to address the issue. Kill two birds with one stone.”

One never knows…they might have been trying to please us! =)

Yeah, maybe but the term used; a new “farm” for leather indicates to me that they are less interested in solving the problem (that they introduced at the start of hot) and more interested in giving us another grind to work past the problem.

And lest we forget, the change to insignia and leather recipes affected everyone, this new farm will only be for hot players.

Changing the insignia recipes to require 5 cloth and 5 leather and changing the Cured T5 and T6 leather recipes back to require 3 and 2 sections would actually solve the problem they created.

And next time there’s a glut of some material introduce one off sinks to take care of it but don’t do this. I’m stocking up on gossamer before the next expansion hits in case they “fix” that.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Or, the Devs might have thought, “Instead of just adjusting recipes, let’s give the players new content as a way to address the issue. Kill two birds with one stone.”

Yeah, maybe but the term used; a new “farm” for leather indicates to me that they are less interested in solving the problem (that they introduced at the start of hot) and more interested in giving us another grind to work past the problem.

And lest we forget, the change to insignia and leather recipes affected everyone, this new farm will only be for hot players.

Changing the insignia recipes to require 5 cloth and 5 leather and changing the Cured T5 and T6 leather recipes back to require 3 and 2 sections would actually solve the problem they created.

And next time there’s a glut of some material introduce one off sinks to take care of it but don’t do this. I’m stocking up on gossamer before the next expansion hits in case they “fix” that.

Who sait that leather farm will only be for HoT players ? Mo didn’t say it. From now on it is just pure speculation

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Who sait that leather farm will only be for HoT players ? Mo didn’t say it. From now on it is just pure speculation

Well he did say that it’s a new farming spot so it makes sense it will be on the new map released with Episode 4 and LS3 is only available to HoT owners. Of course they might add a new farm spot somewhere in Tyria with a new event that rewards leather but I find that unlikely, although they might surprise us.

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

Disappointing that there’s no skill updates, game badly needs more build varieties, and the balance team is way too focused on balancing the game around a few select meta builds. There are too many under-utilized skills/traits that need a massive buff or rework. GW2 already has a plethora of content, what it needs right now is more build flavor.

What’s the point of crafting legendary armor when players are locked into meta builds anyway? U ain’t gonna change builds often.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, perhaps the increase in refined T5 and T6 leather output with the Heart of Thorns release was implemented to help some with the amount of leather used in those recipes. Now, the Devs are doing more. I know I’d rather have new content to help with leather acquisition, rather than just changing recipes, or such.

It’s difficult to really comment accurately on the change before anyone even sees what it is. It may even be well-received; one never knows.

Posted by: GreenArrow.5791

GreenArrow.5791

I just wanted better optimization for AMD processors …

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

If Anet would want to do something to “please us” right now – to follow on on one earlier posting of somebody else a few sites ago, then they wouldn’t work right now on a next Living World Episode…

A Feature Pack that does these things for example:

• Rework/Rebalance of the whole Upgrade System + Change to Accountbound & Introduction of Build Templates & Ascended Upgrades/Lvl500 Jeweler)
  • Rework/Rebalance/Reduction of the whole Boon & Condition System to maximum 8 Boons/Conditions
  • Implementation of the whole Season 1 Content under the Season 2 System with new Achievements and some added new “Mass” Fractals (Marionette Fractal, Lion Arch Fractal, Scarlet Fractal) designed as “Time Distortions/Asura Time Portals” to access them from the fitting maps, so that the game becomes again complete and isn#t anymure such a big cheese full of self made design holes
  • Merging of Staff+Trident as 1 Weapon Type & Merging of Rifle + Harpoon Gun as 1 Weapon Type, while making Spear now a Hybrid Weapon usable on land and in water.
    Means introduction of some new Spear Skills for Classes that will be able to use from that moment on the Spear as one of their Base Weapons – Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Ranger, Necromancer – so 25 new Skills
  • Rework of the Crafting System with some neccessary Quality of Life Improvements
    - Removing Recipes
    - Implemention of Craft all Units Instantly to reduce the needed time to craft all units
    - Craftable Items automatically unlocked by rising up in Crafting Rank, Max Rank reduced from 500 to 50
    - Increased Crafting Exp Bonus for other Characters on your account, so more Characters max their Crafting Job, Removal of Crafting Boosters, Introduction of accountbased Crafting Exp Bonus based on your AP
    - Implementation of new Crafting/Gathering Jobs – Fishing, Digging, Gardening (req. Angling Rod/Lures, Shovel, Seeds)
  • Implementation of Player Housing based on the Guild Hall System/ Rework of the Player Instance for this
  • Fitting Skill and Trait Rebalance based on the made Changes on the Upgrade and Boon&Condition Systems as also the the added Skills from Spear for Land Combat and the next point…
  • Give All Classes their missing Skills from certain Skill Types, example Thief receiving a Elite Signet Skill, Elite Trap Skill and Healing Trap Skill, so that all Classes have finally for all of their Skill Types fitting Healing, Utility and Elite Skills.
  • Add Skill Skins to the Game, so that we can individualize our Characters more, especially funny for the Classes that can summon things.
    You want different looking Minions, different looking Elementals, different looking Spiritual Weapons, different looking Pets, different looking Natural Spirits ect. then this Feature will make you happy
  • Implementation of DX11 at least

Stuff like these in a Feature pack would please me for example exceptionally much more, than any Living World Content they could bring in February, which is just new story content that becomes boring after short time, but brings this game in NO WAY further at all.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Dececrator.9021

Dececrator.9021

Yes multiloot is the great problem of the game. The fact that all classes in pvp went condi is something normal. Archers condi, warriors condi, DH condi, Thieves condi, everyone condi. Players who duel using 1 button. At last some balance.

Pifil.5193

Well, perhaps the increase in refined T5 and T6 leather output with the Heart of Thorns release was implemented to help some with the amount of leather used in those recipes. Now, the Devs are doing more. I know I’d rather have new content to help with leather acquisition, rather than just changing recipes, or such.

It’s difficult to really comment accurately on the change before anyone even sees what it is. It may even be well-received; one never knows.

Did they increase anything?

They decreased the amount of leather from salvaging with Hot, IIRC they also decreased the drop rate from bags too (from John Smith’s post pre release) changed the insignia recipes to require a lot of leather where before it required none and also changed the refinement recipes for T5 and T6 to require one more section.

I’d rather they fixed the root problem, the imbalance between cloth and leather (neither of which are harvestable) that they introduced late in the game rather than introduce this “challenging farm” and the effort put into this farm could have been put elsewhere.

(I don’t know what the farm will be but I bet you it’ll be a sequence of two or three champion events with leather dropping) .

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

Yes multiloot is the great problem of the game. The fact that all classes in pvp went condi is something normal. Archers condi, warriors condi, DH condi, Thieves condi, everyone condi. Players who duel using 1 button. At last some balance.

thief’s warriors DH and rangers are all power in pvp. what are you on about?

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I just wanted better optimization for AMD processors …

Agreed. Metas really push the temp up on my 8 core AMD. I’m about to switch to liquid cooling.

Linken.6345

If Anet would want to do something to “please us” right now – to follow on on one earlier posting of somebody else a few sites ago, then they wouldn’t work right now on a next Living World Episode…

• Rework/Rebalance of the whole Upgrade System + Change to Accountbound & Introduction of Build Templates & Ascended Upgrades/Lvl500 Jeweler)
  • Rework/Rebalance/Reduction of the whole Boon & Condition System to maximum 8 Boons/Conditions
  • Implementation of the whole Season 1 Content under the Season 2 System with new Achievements and some added new “Mass” Fractals (Marionette Fractal, Lion Arch Fractal, Scarlet Fractal) designed as “Time Distortions/Asura Time Portals” to access them from the fitting maps, so that the game becomes again complete and isn#t anymure such a big cheese full of self made design holes
  • Merging of Staff+Trident as 1 Weapon Type & Merging of Rifle + Harpoon Gun as 1 Weapon Type, while making Spear now a Hybrid Weapon usable on land and in water.
    Means introduction of some new Spear Skills for Classes that will be able to use from that moment on the Spear as one of their Base Weapons – Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Ranger, Necromancer – so 25 new Skills
  • Rework of the Crafting System with some neccessary Quality of Life Improvements
    - Removing Recipes
    - Implemention of Craft all Units Instantly to reduce the needed time to craft all units
    - Craftable Items automatically unlocked by rising up in Crafting Rank, Max Rank reduced from 500 to 50
    - Increased Crafting Exp Bonus for other Characters on your account, so more Characters max their Crafting Job, Removal of Crafting Boosters, Introduction of accountbased Crafting Exp Bonus based on your AP
    - Implementation of new Crafting/Gathering Jobs – Fishing, Digging, Gardening (req. Angling Rod/Lures, Shovel, Seeds)
  • Implementation of Player Housing based on the Guild Hall System/ Rework of the Player Instance for this
  • Fitting Skill and Trait Rebalance based on the made Changes on the Upgrade and Boon&Condition Systems as also the the added Skills from Spear for Land Combat and the next point…
  • Give All Classes their missing Skills from certain Skill Types, example Thief receiving a Elite Signet Skill, Elite Trap Skill and Healing Trap Skill, so that all Classes have finally for all of their Skill Types fitting Healing, Utility and Elite Skills.
  • Add Skill Skins to the Game, so that we can individualize our Characters more, especially funny for the Classes that can summon things.
    You want different looking Minions, different looking Elementals, different looking Spiritual Weapons, different looking Pets, different looking Natural Spirits ect. then this Feature will make you happy

Stuff like these in a Feature pack would please me for example exceptionally much more, than any Living World Content they could bring in February, which is just new story content that becomes boring after short time, but brings this game in NO WAY further at all.

You forgot revenant so it would be 30 skills not 25 mate

Posted by: shox.1586

shox.1586

Hm thanks,well that “simple fix” changes everything,AB is just worthless to do now.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Did they increase anything?

They decreased the amount of leather from salvaging with Hot, IIRC they also decreased the drop rate from bags too (from John Smith’s post pre release) changed the insignia recipes to require a lot of leather where before it required none and also changed the refinement recipes for T5 and T6 to require one more section.

I’d rather they fixed the root problem, the imbalance between cloth and leather (neither of which are harvestable) that they introduced late in the game rather than introduce this “challenging farm” and the effort put into this farm could have been put elsewhere.

(I don’t know what the farm will be but I bet you it’ll be a sequence of two or three champion events with leather dropping) .

They did, indeed. Listed it right in the patch notes, along with the other changes to cloth and leather.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

- Removing Recipes

Stuff like that in a Feature Pack, instead of new content, would be boring to me.

I’m sure it is difficult for the Devs to please the playerbase, with such differing desires.

Linken.6345

Hm thanks,well that “simple fix” changes everything,AB is just worthless to do now.

No not really just more in line with the rest of the game, you just got used to the easy looting it have provided for so long mate.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

The majority of builds in PVP use power, and you know it. Don’t be disingenuous.

No, it’s still probably the most profitable HoT meta, it’s just that its rewards are more in line with the rest now instead of being several times greater.

Pifil.5193

They did, indeed. Listed it right in the patch notes, along with the other changes to cloth and leather.

I can’t find it, do you remember which patch notes? Sorry, I know that’s a bit like asking you if you remember which pile of sand you saw the sand in?

From the HoT patch notes (Oct 23 2015) all I can see is the following:

• To sync armor crafting with weapon crafting, and to help maintain the value of leather, masterwork, rare, and exotic inscriptions will now be crafted with patches made from leather and cloth.
  • To account for the added leather cost, the amount of cloth required to make an insignia is reduced.

And a little later on:

• Some minor tweaks have been made to salvage tables to normalize output across all levels, and a small reduction has been made on tier 5 metal, leather, and wood, as well as a reduction on tier 6 leather and cloth.
  • Refining thick leather now results in 4 thick leather sections instead of 3.
  • Refining hardened leather now results in 3 hardened leather sections instead of 2.

The wording on the last two is rather strange as they increased the amount of thick leather sections required per square to 4 from 3 and the amount of hardened leather per square to 3 from 2.

It should probably read:

• Refining thick leather now requires 4 thick leather sections instead of 3.
  • Refining hardened leather now requires 3 hardened leather sections instead of 2.

Regardless, if it was their intent I think it’s fair to say that whatever changes they made to increase drop rates weren’t enough given the difference between cloth and leather prices today.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But prior to HoT, the forums were full of complaints on how a light ascended armor set cost so much more than medium or heavy due to the amount of Bolts of Damask required on light, both for the insignia and component armor pieces. Also a glut of T5 and T6 leather kept the price of those two grades near or at NPC vendor prices.

ANet’s solution was to alter the insignia recipe to use the new patch item comprised of both bolts and squares rather than just bolts. For ascended this meant 18 Elonian Leather Squares were added to each weight of a full ascended armor set.

Now between than and the changes to T5/T6 square recipes wiped out the glut in a matter of months. Of course this also meant the cost to craft all ascended armor weights became more costly and while light is still more expensive, the relative (percentage) difference in cost is not as pronounce between light and medium.

Now rolling back the section to square change would seem logical to some but the outcry from those who crafted ascended armor post HoT isn’t something ANet would want so the “cow level” group farm. If it was too easy, T5 and T6 leather would once again become worthless due to “Tragedy of the Commons” excessive farming. ANet wants a reduction in price, not a crash in price.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

Thank you for the update. It sounds like a perfect fix for the ABMM. I do echo the sentiments of others that reducing the amount of leather needed would be a more desirable fix, especially if the farm is group-based, difficult and located only in a LS3 map, thus being inaccessible to many players.

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

Stuff like that in a Feature Pack, instead of new content, would be boring to me.

I’m sure it is difficult for the Devs to please the playerbase, with such differing desires.

Reworking underutilized traits / skills vastly enhances the gameplay experience.

The last thing we need is (more) farming.

Pifil.5193

But prior to HoT, the forums were full of complaints on how a light ascended armor set cost so much more than medium or heavy due to the amount of Bolts of Damask required on light, both for the insignia and component armor pieces. Also a glut of T5 and T6 leather kept the price of those two grades near or at NPC vendor prices.

ANet’s solution was to alter the insignia recipe to use the new patch item comprised of both bolts and squares rather than just bolts. For ascended this meant 18 Elonian Leather Squares were added to each weight of a full ascended armor set.

Now between than and the changes to T5/T6 square recipes wiped out the glut in a matter of months. Of course this also meant the cost to craft all ascended armor weights became more costly and while light is still more expensive, the relative (percentage) difference in cost is not as pronounce between light and medium.

Now rolling back the section to square change would seem logical to some but the outcry from those who crafted ascended armor post HoT isn’t something ANet would want so the “cow level” group farm. If it was too easy, T5 and T6 leather would once again become worthless due to “Tragedy of the Commons” excessive farming. ANet wants a reduction in price, not a crash in price.

Those complaints were over the cost of silk and the other cloth tiers required to make Damask. The situation there wasn’t improved by making all ascended armour more expensive (by needing leather too) but rather by ArenaNet giving other sources of lower tier materials and by leaving Silk salvage alone.

Also T6 leather is the real problem here (as in it’s the one that’s ridiculously expensive compared to the other T6 mats) and that’s barely used in Ascended crafting.

I think that reducing the leather required per square and also the amount you need per insignia would reduce the price, not crash it and might make crafting exotic armour affordable again, a single berserker gossamer insignia costs over 13g at time of writing, most of that cost is the cost of the leather, the other insignias are maybe 12g or so.

Would there be an outcry if they reverted some changes? Maybe. But from what I’ve seen these outcries tend to be a handful of people posting in circles. Personally, I crafted a set of ascended cloth armour (as well as a heavy set and possibly my medium set, not sure there) during HoT and I’d be delighted if they dropped the leather requirements back a little. It’d encourage me to craft another set, probably another medium set.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

They haven’t actually said that the farm will be in a LWS3 map. I sincerely hope its a part of the core game so everyone has access to it

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

What about the WvW Overhaul? I thought it was supposed to be the priority after HoT’s release.

Stephen Clarke-Willson, PhD is pacing himself:

“… modern times games are rarely finished when they ship, because they can be continuously improved online …

… so it’s good to pace yourself, "

Which is all well and good, except that the pace of this continuous improvement seems glacial, and soon there will be other games competing for WvW players.

10 months ago MO stated,

“we’re clearing the log-jam by making sure we can roll-out incremental updates to the Live servers. It will be nice to be back in a mode of shipping frequently.”

Which is great news! The big WvW update was then supposed to have been rolled out bit-by-bit, but I think we’ve seen it. That was it, guys. Wait, wha?! Yep, it got rolled out, what more do you want? Open field cannons?

SCWPhD

We got into a pattern where we wanted the WvW update to be super awesome, a “2.0” version, and it kept growing in size and complexity, which took longer, and fans were waiting, and so we wanted it to be more awesome, and rinse, repeat… As Mo said, we need to clear out the log jam, so we’re going to focus on ship-able pieces, even if that means we do some rework later. And we’ll get each piece onto the Live servers as soon as possible.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Posted by: Katunix.7809

Katunix.7809

Since we’re doing a lot of changes, would it hurt the team to implement titles to accounts that have finished personal story? A lot of us have been waiting years for this, i mean whats a few lines of text as titles? List of titles here.

Tekoneiric.6817

I agree. I just don’t understand why people are against ABML. It’s like being against winning money in a contest. They hate big prizes so they seek to ruin it for everyone. This is why we can’t have good things…

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I agree. I just don’t understand why people are against ABML. It’s like being against winning money in a contest. They hate big prizes so they seek to ruin it for everyone. This is why we can’t have good things…

Posts like this make me even more glad I did not participate. I would rather earn my way than ride the exploit train.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

It’ll be interesting to see what the net change is. Since currently one Ecto roughly equals one Hardened Leather Section, and you can salvage Ectos at a pretty good clip from rares found in ABML, the leather farm would have to generate a lot of Hardened Leather Sections per grind increment to not be a net loss.

EDIT – Oops, not currently, since the prices shifted since the announcement.

(edited by Thelgar.7214)

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

Hi all,

This release will include the promised fix to AB multi-looting. The fix is simple: you can loot each of the great and grand chests once each time you complete the meta, once per map cycle.

Mo

Cool. Now even less reason to want to bother with meta events. That sort of content – timered, and completely at the whim of the “mega server” – is what makes things -0- fun; especially given the notoriously poor rewards in this game.

Posted by: keenedge.9675

keenedge.9675

Mike O Brien.4613:

Hi all,

This release will include the promised fix to AB multi-looting. The fix is simple: you can loot each of the great and grand chests once each time you complete the meta, once per map cycle.

This release will also include a new, challenging group-farming spot for leather.

Mo

Both of these are good news to me, but now I’m wondering what the leather farming spot is. Kill a champion dolyak?

Seems like an opportunity to let the bandit bounties and executioner give some reasonable drops. I don’t know what they have for defense, but looting it ought to generate some leather (maybe ecto and a mystic coin too ).

“John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute”

Tekoneiric.6817

Posts like this make me even more glad I did not participate. I would rather earn my way than ride the exploit train.

ANet folks repeatedly said it was not an exploit. The only reason it is being patched is because of complainers.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

ANet folks repeatedly said it was not an exploit. The only reason it is being patched is because of complainers.

Obviously it was not as they intended it to be. One area should not be so much better than everything else at rewards. No, I am not one of the complainers either, I just think the whining is funny because people’s cash cow is going away.

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

just add a few more grand chests so people dont ignore ab completely after the update pls.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Pifil.5193

Obviously it was not as they intended it to be. One area should not be so much better than everything else at rewards. No, I am not one of the complainers either, I just think the whining is funny because people’s cash cow is going away.

They needn’t worry; they can join the new leather farm.

There’s leather in them thar hills!

Posted by: totalover.5036

totalover.5036

when we will se trailer?

Tekoneiric.6817

There are plenty of other areas in the game to make gold. It’s not like ABML was the only place to make gold. You can easily make more doing karka farming. The coordination and race to beat the clock to loot as many chests as possible is fun in ABML. It’s not like the loot from ABML was that great. Most of it was just good enough to salvage. Less than 1/4 was worth selling. I’ve gotten better drops was roaming in other maps killing boss creatures. I got a few good drops in ABML but not many considering how many times I’ve done it.

The big driver of complaints was that it was easy to farm ecto. I’m sure many (not all) complainers have been hoping it would be nerfed so the can unload all that ecto they have.

One thing people aren’t talking about and few people doing ABML realized is that they are also nerfing the jungle plant farm by nerfing ABML. Hitting the two jungle plants at the center of Tarir for each map instance gave the player a higher chance of getting a Maguuma Lily in a short period of time.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They usually say “challenging group” to refer to instanced content. Obviously if it was open world, it would just be trivially zerged, but then again, everything post HoT is basically challenging group content compared to what the average MMO offers in the open world. There also already was an open world leather zerg farm in BF.

With instanced content in mind, it reminded me of the old Candidate Trials.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

No, that was absolutely wanted, because I don’t want Revenants with Spear as one of their Base Weapons. Rather as something for their Elite Specs instead.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I’m looking forward to the next LW episode. My time as a Tyrian doesn’t continue much outside of the LW episodes and it is time well spent. The studio is good at telling compelling stories within dynamic zones. I wish the reward meta compelled me to stay longer and I wish it didn’t look as though the reward meta homogenized the story zone telling.

My take on why a leather a farm and not a recipe change.

Hoarding? Any change that the studio makes to the supply or demand of leather will continue indefinitely and affect the equilibrium price of leather indefinitely. An increase in the supply of leather will move an amount of storied leather into the market place, lowering the price. The effects of that stored leather on price will last, likely only weeks. Discussions of hoarding may be sublimating the impulse to covet.

Play time and recipe workload are strongly correlated.

Playtime is described by diverse players, playing earning towards recipe specifics and a comparatively universal currency and the desire and devices to maintain the demand for and value of that currency.

Optimal monetization of the player base does not just describe all the sports cars in the studio parking lot. It also describes players finding value near their optimal playtime to reward workload exchange. The more complex the economic ecosystem becomes the more likely a recipe workload change will appear as a straight line and miss optimal monetization.

Reward faucets allow players to employ agency in value finding and the form and structure of the faucet contributes to the economic ecosystem.

Where a change to the amount of leather demanded by recipes would homogeneously change the distance to armor, a faucet allows player to adjust and change velocity towards armor. If optimal monetization is the goal, both would be required.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Linken.6345

No, that was absolutely wanted, because I don’t want Revenants with Spear as one of their Base Weapons. Rather as something for their Elite Specs instead.

Oh and here I thought you took all the classes that had spear underwater and gave it to them on land my bad.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

If it wasn’t an exploit, they wouldn’t have designed Dragon’s Stand to explicitly forbid people from entering a completed instance.