Raids and housing coming to GW2!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

We all hope that it’s true. We need some point to play this game after doing everything including crafting a legendary weapon.
Generally wvw is nice, but there’s no real achievements for both individual players and guilds to achieve. For example, there’s no faction system, no real wvw ratings for guilds and players, wvw ranks are visible only to enemies, no other ppl know who and how progressed you are etc. etc. there should be item equality, but we need some other hardcore things to achieve in this game.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So anyone here actually know French? From the google translation that looks like they just said Guild Halls. Not really the same as player housing. I could see how that sort of thing could easily be lost in a machine translation.

As for the raid thing … it seems to have said content that allows for more 5 people, LIKE raids in other games. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Unwaking_Waters <- GW1 mission, up to 16 players.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Unwaking_Waters <- GW1 mission, up to 16 players.

And that mission was SO MUCH FUN.

Only not.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

As to the Raids, if they achieve raids by making Dungeons scale, like dungeons in Wildstar, from 1 up to raid size, I’m all for it. If it’s “5 or 20”, or “5 or 40”, with no scaling from small to large, I’m not at all interested.

Others have brought up good points about content in general. GW2, at launch, got that fun trumped carrot on a stick as a motivator. Sadly, they seem to have forgotten how they created the core game and the principles it was built around, so it’s not a huge surprise that they might decide to fall back on the old design paradigm.

I don’t know what’s happening at ANet, but I don’t think there is any way the current ANet could create a game any where near on par with what GW2 was at launch.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Unwaking_Waters <- GW1 mission, up to 16 players.

And that mission was SO MUCH FUN.

Only not.

It was alright …
The main problem was committing the ultimate in stupid design. Want to play with your friends? Hope the RNG likes you. It seems like they never learned anything from that either since they made the same mistake for Wintersday.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Others have brought up good points about content in general. GW2, at launch, got that fun trumped carrot on a stick as a motivator. Sadly, they seem to have forgotten how they created the core game and the principles it was built around, so it’s not a huge surprise that they might decide to fall back on the old design paradigm.

I don’t know what’s happening at ANet, but I don’t think there is any way the current ANet could create a game any where near on par with what GW2 was at launch.

I agree. Although, if you look into the small details, even at release GW2 had a few systems with a lot of grind, which were far from being fun. They have increased those systems so much after release that they have engulfed all of GW2, probably due to panicking after the first wave of MMO locusts left the game.

The thing is – we know who were the responsible for those initial grind-based systems. We know who are the developers that were bad from the beginning. It’s easy to see whose influence is growing within ArenaNet, and who is to blame for the state the game currently is in.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Customizable housing would probably be a major boon for the game in many ways. I remember all the time and money spent by SWG players trying to obtain different unique or rare decor items. Can’t see the GW2 community being any different with people running around with Birfrosts and those fugly holo wings.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Now the claim that there is no way for open world dueling to be introduced into GW2 seems quite ridiculous, does it not? All you need is to keep asking. It worked for gear, it worked for raids. Mounts and real dueling seem to be next!

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

So anyone here actually know French? From the google translation that looks like they just said Guild Halls. Not really the same as player housing. I could see how that sort of thing could easily be lost in a machine translation.

As for the raid thing … it seems to have said content that allows for more 5 people, LIKE raids in other games. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Unwaking_Waters <- GW1 mission, up to 16 players.

I’m actually french canadian. Can you send me another link? The one from the op doesn’t work for me for some reason.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I’m actually french canadian. Can you send me another link? The one from the op doesn’t work for me for some reason.

Seems like the site took down the interview, but google cache still has a copy of it.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

You kind of answer your own question there.

People that enjoy the content will do the content. If the content isn’t enjoyable, then WHY are you spending your free time playing it? It’s like a person that hates Cracker Jacks eating box after box of them because they like the prize inside. They’d be happier if they could eat what they want, and just buy the prizes elsewhere no matter what they’ve been eating.

If the only reason people will do a raid is for the reward at the end, then that’s not good content. Give us lots of choices as to how to earn the rewards, so we can play the parts we enjoy to get them. If that’s raids, fine. Give us some raids. And dungeons, and solo missions, and whatever else they can fit in.

But this is not unfortunately the case, people will do silly things for the reward not the enjoyment of doing them. If you give multiple routes to a reward all people do is take the route of least resistance rather than doing a mixture of routes. It’s already visible in the game, 80% of the stuff in the game is linked to a token system which you can get from multiple things, called Gold. What do a lot of people do, run CoF p1 over and over and over, are they having fun doing it (OK occasionally I like to relax by doing an hour of it), the majority of people I’ve run it with say they can’t wait to be out of the Dungeon.

I much prefer certain items to be linked to certain content. It’s nice that what your character wears links into what you do with them in the game. I have a Character with a lot of SAB stuff, TA Armor, bits of other Dungeon armor, Fractal weapons etc. They all link to what I have done in the game.

You seem to be for player housing where you can have a record of what you have accomplished in game. That’s how I look at the armor and weapons my character has.

When I first made my Mesmer, I worked out what armor I wanted her to have visually. Then I went on a quest to get it. There were certain dungeons I did for stats, certain I did for Cosmetics, I had to run dailies and events to get the Karma for my weapons. I had to save money for my helm. This felt SO much more epic and far more of a quest than Save 100g and meant I had to run lots of different content rather than COF path 2 (back when that was the thing farmed) 100 times.

(edited by Ratty.5176)

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

The article doesn’t necessarily mean “player housing”. It was a mix up with the translation related to the discussion of Guild Halls. It was meant to say that it’s exciting that they’re being implemented as a guild house method of a place of collaboration for the guild. There’s no mention in the article for player housing at all.

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

Personally I’d rather player housing over guild halls, but oh well :-P

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

For the guild hall: They only mention, in the article, that they will implement guild hall and housing at the same time.

Posted by: Lightning.8397

Lightning.8397

The one thing I would LOVE if housing was ever implemented is to have all my alts as NPCs wandering around within my house to interact with. How cool would that be!

Housing would be a great plus for me and that Wildstar take on housing is impressive. However, I’d be happy with a simple place/area to decorate/deck out with stuff.

Emptiness in towns are an inevitable feature of GW2. If you make it such that certain features are only accessible from LA (FotM, dungeon token vendors, mystic forge etc) and no real unique content in the other strongholds then it’s inevitable that everyone only hangs out in LA.

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

Ohh I can’t wait for raids to be honest. If they manage to do them right then that will be freaking awesome!

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Ugh, raiding. Next thing we know, they’ll add traditional questing and the holy trinity.

So many things they said they wouldn’t do in the beginning, and here we are with most of those things being done now. It seems Anet is taking GW2 further and further away from what it was supposed to be, and turning it into your traditional cookie cutter MMO now.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Ugh, raiding. Next thing we know, they’ll add traditional questing and the holy trinity.

So many things they said they wouldn’t do in the beginning, and here we are with most of those things being done now. It seems Anet is taking GW2 further and further away from what it was supposed to be, and turning it into your traditional cookie cutter MMO now.

I Would throw my money at the screen if they brought gw1 style monk back. That includes full blown healing and prot.
I am a huge fan of the holy trinity and could see this game doing it better than everything else. This would never happen though, it would mean them reworking nearly the whole game.

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

Player housing and a carpenter tradeskill to make furniture for the game is at the top of my priority list for this game. If they want to know how to do it right, they can download and play EQ2 for free – they pretty much nailed it. I also heard SWG and LOTRO had great player housing.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I am actually hoping to see most of the player housing items in the cash shop. Maybe that will help them remove the weapons and armor from it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Two points.

Anet never said they’re never add raiding. You can’t find the quote that says it, because they haven’t.

More to the point, there was “raiding” in Guild Wars 1 too, but it was NOTHING like raiding on other games…it wasn’t even called raiding.

But it was an area of elite content for 12 man teams (when the normal max party size was 8 man).

I think you should keep an open mind about raiding in Guild Wars 2…because I don’t think this will be anything like the raiding you’re thinking of.

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

Well, I’m happy they are listening to the people that want raids, even though it is the minority wanting them.
Hopefully they will add duels, other pvp modes and mounts to the game in the future.

I’m hoping they are listening to those who want to be able to sit on chairs

The point being that GW2 appeals to a broad spectrum of players whether they are PvPers, PvEers, RPers or any combination of those playstyles. But Guild halls and player housing appeals to players across the game. I’m really looking forward to seeing what the devs come up with.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Raids!? oh no ….

please no item progression

Raiding doesn’t have to be about item progression when a game isn’t worried about needless timesinks to keep players paying sub fees. The B2P model opens up new possibilities.

Imagine the idea of designing raiding content whose main goal is to be fun for a large group of people, rather than having a main goal of throttling progression and limiting access to items. The article talking about them putting a GW2 touch on raiding, I am interested to see what they do.

Lol……fun lol

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Why do people think that raiding equals gear grind?
That wasn’t how GW1 worked.

But then again, obviously, GW2 is not trying to be what GW1 was, it’s trying to appeal all the other generic mmo payer needs, not their original fans.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

But then again, obviously, GW2 is not trying to be what GW1 was, it’s trying to appeal all the other generic mmo payer needs, not their original fans.

And you really believe that only catering to the original GW1 fanbase is the best thing? Sorry, yes you do.

Vayne.8563

And you really believe that only catering to the original GW1 fanbase is the best thing? Sorry, yes you do.

I honestly believe Anet CAN cater to the Guild Wars 1 fan base and STILL cater to other people as well at the same time, even with the same content.

For example, I think most people who like instances in most MMOs would probably have enjoyed Fissure of Woe, The Underworld, Domain of Anguish, The Deep, Urgoz’s Warren and Slaver’s Exile.

The only think that really needs to be changed is the gear grind reward structure.

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

Don’t care bout raiding but housing sounds awesome! I hope it’s not just some amateurish put together pseudo-feaure like in LOTRO :S EQ2 perfected housing.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It is extraordinarily unlikely that they would announce two major game features through a french phone interview that magically disappears an hour after it was posted. In fact I give the likelihood of such a thing occurring at 0%.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is extraordinarily unlikely that they would announce two major game features through a french phone interview that magically disappears an hour after it was posted. In fact I give the likelihood of such a thing occurring at 0%.

It is however not the first time they have talked about raids and housing though. And this is not really “announcing” it is more talking about stuff that will happen in the future.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Aluano.1826

Aluano.1826

Yay, required to play on a schedule is coming to GW2. This game just keeps on becoming like every other MMO out there…. In a year they might aswell rename the game to World of Guild Wars.

lordkrall.7241

Yay, required to play on a schedule is coming to GW2. This game just keeps on becoming like every other MMO out there…. In a year they might aswell rename the game to World of Guild Wars.

Ah yes, because all raids have locks and is required to do at specific days..

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

One important details to notice (I’m French, so I can read the article). It’s the French interviewer who said “like raids in other games”, but it’s actually “PvE content for more than 5 players”, and Mike said “with a GW2 twist”. They also never said it would require to play on a schedule.

Still, my warning to ANet is that if they turn this into a tiered raid gear grind, I will be gone, and they will lose the 20€ or more worth of gems I buy every month from them. If they try to force me to raid to get better gear and remain competitive for other activities like WvW, I will be gone without thinking twice.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

If they were only cosmetic that wouldn’t really be an issue.

If I liked and wanted that cosmetic then I would want it to be attainable in a way that wasn’t completely unenjoyable for me.

So, I reiterate- it will only be a problem for me if the items are only available via raiding. As long as they are available anywhere else as well, I can’t see there being any issue.

I feel differently about this.

I think “raiding” should have exclusive cosmetic rewards. By that I mean armor and weapons skins, minipets, tonics, special items like the sonic burrower or flying broom, etc.

That is in line with the way it has been since I bought the game. Most activities have exclusive cosmetic rewards associated with them. Fractal skins, Dungeon skins, Gem store skins, guild commendation skins are all exclusive to their respective source (afaik), and I think they should not make a special exception to the established pattern of the game for “raids”.

Korrigan.4837

I think “raiding” should have exclusive cosmetic rewards. By that I mean armor and weapons skins, minipets, tonics, special items like the sonic burrower or flying broom, etc.

I agree, unique rewards, but not more powerful rewards that would imbalance the rest of the game including WvW. Nothing that would force people to grind those “raids” or “activities for more than 5 players”.

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

If they want more money the have to have more ppl playing so yes, they need features from other games

Korrigan.4837

If they want more money the have to have more ppl playing so yes, they need features from other games

They must be careful not to lost the existing players in the process. Many are playing GW2 because it’s not just another “WoW clone”.

Vayne.8563

Arguably, playing like other games could end up giving Anet less money.

There are lots of games like other games, so the playerbase for them is more divided. There are very few games like Guild Wars 2, so it’s found a niche.

If it loses the niche, then what will stop people from leaving it for other games that do the same thing?

lekyii.9856

They must be careful not to lost the existing players in the process. Many are playing GW2 because it’s not just another “WoW clone”.

True but Raids are not WoW Invention, there was raids before the WoW, besides WoW have good some good features and some bad, so they only need to get the good ones and make it work on gw2

lekyii.9856

Arguably, playing like other games could end up giving Anet less money.

There are lots of games like other games, so the playerbase for them is more divided. There are very few games like Guild Wars 2, so it’s found a niche.

If it loses the niche, then what will stop people from leaving it for other games that do the same thing?

im not saying copy paste other games, im saying take some ideas and good features from other games, like they are doing with housing and “raiding”

they did the same with AoE loot

(edited by lekyii.9856)

Nick.6972

GW2 is more of a WoW Clone than GW1 Clone.
The irony.

lordkrall.7241

The irony.

Oh?
Please tell us all these things they have “copied” from WoW.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Nick.6972

Play the first game, then compare it to GW2, play “Insert generic MMO here” and compare it to GW2.
Which share more similarities?
Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and throw it out of the window.

My point is – theres absolutely nothing GW2 has common with GW1 except for lore.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Two points.

Anet never said they’re never add raiding. You can’t find the quote that says it, because they haven’t.

More to the point, there was “raiding” in Guild Wars 1 too, but it was NOTHING like raiding on other games…it wasn’t even called raiding.

But it was an area of elite content for 12 man teams (when the normal max party size was 8 man).

I think you should keep an open mind about raiding in Guild Wars 2…because I don’t think this will be anything like the raiding you’re thinking of.

Actually, Anet said they didn’t want party sizes larger than 5. They stated that 5 was a balanced number for groups and they wanted to keep everything doable for groups of 5. Can’t get you the link, cause it was in the blog, which is gone (unless someone else knows of a backup somewhere).

And I understand they had large group content in GW1. But seeing as how GW2 is nothing like GW1, I expect that these raids are not going to be like GW1 as well.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

The irony.

Oh?
Please tell us all these things they have “copied” from WoW.

He didn’t say “copied” but there are certainly many things influenced by WoW. High level cap, gear tiers that influence player stats, isolated and regimented PvP, Quest structure (albeit worst and disguised as hearts), WvW being Alterac Valley but bigger, and even the player camera perspective. There’s also the glaring fact that many decision that went into GW2 had to deal with fixing problems intrinsic to themeparks WoW, or in other words doing themeparks but better. The game wasn’t made to be its own thing like GW1 but something tried to fix or “revolutionize” issues of of a genre. Ironically enough, it limited the vision of the game, making it very WoW-like. It also made many aspects of the game feel rather derivative (gear tiers and treadmill). On the actual development-side of things, a good number of developers contracted to work on GW2 were former WoW devs, go figure.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

Play the first game, then compare it to GW2, play “Insert generic MMO here” and compare it to GW2.
Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and throw it out of the window.

My point is – theres absolutely nothing GW2 has common with GW1 except for lore.

For 8 years I went to the WoW forums and complained that WoW was nothing like Warcraft, Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. Guess what? Blizzard hasn’t changed their game to suit me. Don’t wait 8 years to realize ArenaNet are not going to make GW2 a clone of GW1.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Nick.6972

Yeah, I wonder why, maybe I should go complain Dice to make BF4 JRPG.

lordkrall.7241

I started playing GW1 just a few months after release of Prophecies, and still play it.

Similarities to GW1:
-Skill over gear
-No mandatory grind
-Lore
-Cooperation over Competition

Similarities to WoW:
-Higher levels

Funnily enough I find more similarities to GW1 than WoW.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Vayne.8563

The irony.

Only someone who’s played Guild Wars 1 and not WoW could possibly say this.

lekyii.9856

The irony.

Only someone who’s played Guild Wars 1 and not WoW could possibly say this.

Indeed

Vayne.8563

I started playing GW1 just a few months after release of Prophecies, and still play it.

Similarities to GW1:
-Skill over gear
-No mandatory grind
-Lore
-Cooperation over Competition

Similarities to WoW:
-Higher levels

Funnily enough I find more similarities to GW1 than WoW.

One major difference between Guild Wars 2 and WoW is a monthly fee. Another is that WoW had a taunt mechanic which completely changes the game. Another is that WoW has mounts (and they’re very significant to the game), Guild Wars 2 does not.