Raising Level Cap?

Raising Level Cap?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Raising the level cap COULD be done, provided that the top tier of equipment still remained the same. For example, say that the level cap was raised to 90, but past level 80, getting additional levels only gives you additional trait points, which are only active in PvE. (If you go into WvW or PvP, you get downscaled back to 80, so there would be no issues with rebalancing there.)

How is that different from staying at level 80, and introducing some GW2 alternative to GW1 additional attribute quests? If all you want from those next 10 levels is trait points, why simply not introduce ways to get those trait points directly, without the need to meaninglessly increase a level number indicator?

The truth is, that level cap increase is only good for invalidating current gear and forcing people to grind for new one. Especially if you made promises not to introduce new tiers, or gave out equipment that automatically advances to new tiers (but not necessarily to new levels).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

If the new content comes out, I’ll play it, and if I’ll enjoy it, I’ll keep playing it.

Raised level cap doesn’t matter at all to me, nor would new items to get – I’d love some new skills though, especially if they would be unlockable through a quest, rather than just buyable.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

I’m for raising level , why ? simply , because you are all boring when you cry for your lvl 80 , almost three years playing and we ’re more boring because the game does not progress , only progress in cosmetics , veteran players need progress in levels and new weapons levels , new equipment and new lvl 80+ maps , and if you dont like levels? dont level up, take all your cosmetic items and shut up. I have LEGENDARY AND ascended GEAR so what , should i use it 2 years more? I dont care i need progress, i dont need achivement points

LEVELING DOES NOT EQUAL PROGRESSION!

Did you READ the entire thread?

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

No please, we don’t need another WoW clone.

If leveling is the only thing keeping you playing…then..I have to argue that you don’t really enjoy the game itself.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.

That’s the last official word we’ve had from ArenaNet on the subject, as far as I know. It was in an Reddit AMA in 2013, so take it for what you will.

Anet claimed many things they would do at some point that never happened, so take that for what you will.

Yep, that’s why I include my comment about 2013. It was a while ago, so it may have no relevance given the frequency ArenaNet likes to change direction on their design goals.

Still, it’s the only official thing we have to go on.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I will be ok with an increased level cap ONLY if my existing exotic/ascended gear scales up automatically with me as I level. I have no problem gaining a few more levels and learning new skills and traits, but if I have to grind for hours and hours or spend hundreds/thousands more gold to re-acquire my gear again, I will be extremely disappointed with Anet, and would seriously consider not continuing to play the game.

I find gear aquisition in this game absolutely terrible, and feel it only acts as a frustrating obstacle that drains the fun out of the game, so I really don’t want to have to go through all that again. Leveling can be fun, gear grind is not.

I do not think it will happen though, so I’m not worried.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

I’m for raising level , why ? simply , because you are all boring when you cry for your lvl 80 , almost three years playing and we ’re more boring because the game does not progress , only progress in cosmetics , veteran players need progress in levels and new weapons levels , new equipment and new lvl 80+ maps , and if you dont like levels? dont level up, take all your cosmetic items and shut up. I have LEGENDARY AND ascended GEAR so what , should i use it 2 years more? I dont care i need progress, i dont need achivement points

you are clearly not a guild wars player, any GW veteran can tell you that increasing the lvl cap is not needed at all to add interesting content.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Horizontal leveling is where its at… Like a subclass so its more like GW1, maybe 10 levels in another profession besides the main 80. The main level cant be touched imo, all that serves is to tick everyone off because their equipments outdated.

Ya It would have to be some kind of artifical/superficial mirror of the class so it could be properly balanced etc, but would open up some more options for utility perhaps and maybe another trait bar, add another utility button…Maybe a new special equipment slot for the sub profession too for loot hoars like belly button ring. >:P

I should point out that this is the way DAOC did their expansions, and this game is heavily modelled after DAOC…

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

(edited by Kilger.5490)

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

First i must say GW2 is the only game where the players would hate adding in a higher level cap in all other mmorpgs players WANT a higher level cap its very odd and more then likely these players play GW2 on-top of other mmorpgs and are the same ppl who WANT higher level in other mmorpgs. Its a very bad double stander that GW2 is held up to. GW2 down for 1hr all hell brakes lose other mmorpgs down for 6hr+ no one bates an eye etc..

Second if they do add in a higher level cap its not going to be the way you think its going to be for a super class (above class not sub class) where you can specialize in a way of how you play your class. Its not going to be that much stronger over all but in the places that the class in specialize in it will become stronger. So no higher level armor or weapons but we may see new weapons that only that class can use or ability that only that class can use etc..

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

They could very well increase the level cap with little backlash.

The main thing with that though is in doing so they would be incapable of raising the gear tiers; no gear requires anything beyond 80.

That, or they’d have to make the current 80 ascended armor be the same or better in stats as the next-tier’s exotics to keep their use relevant. Just raising the level cap and inflating stats is the last thing they want to do if they’re serious about player retention, though.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Ambika.6257

Ambika.6257

A level cap increase is a detractor from the game experience. Thinking back on playing GW1 and even going through the current game on my characters, the first thing I was thinking of is my level, how fast I can get to it and what I’ll be able to do when I get there. I wasn’t able to fully enjoy my surroundings or story too much because I couldn’t adventure around much due to lack of level.

Once I hit the cap I was finally able to really dig into the game, the story, play with builds and mechanics rather than just make-do with crap until I got there. It’s far less enjoyable leveling than it is actually playing the game. The best parts of GW1 were the end missions and maps that were sometimes too difficult to do with heroes and even pugs, where you needed serious team effort to get something done (eg. end content in Nightfall.) That stuff was fun, challenging and exciting!

Working toward new levels isn’t much of a reward. Vanquishing a 4-player map in HM with NPC’s? (LOL, not a suggestion to bring it back) Much more satisfying.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I’d actually rather see them LOWER the level cap to 20 or 30 than raise it. Then they could take some of the new zones and make them 20-25(30-35) range with some harder world bosses like they did with FoW/UW/DoA.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Webarely have endgame at 80. How would raising the level cap be beneficial?

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I like the number 80. It’s a nice pleasant looking number. I’d prefer it stayed the cap.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

IF A-Net is smart and they follow how they did things in GW they will NOT raise the level cap. The best way to allow for player growth is to add skills, traits, new PvP modes, new dungeons/endgame instances(FoW/UW/DoA/etc)and have a good story for an expansion like they did with Factions, Nightfall, and EotN. A-Net managed to keep GW going for 10 years without raising the level cap and Ithink they can do it with GW2 also.

This, but based on how Anet been doing things, I say they aren’t thinking about what’s best for the game…

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

IF A-Net is smart and they follow how they did things in GW they will NOT raise the level cap. The best way to allow for player growth is to add skills, traits, new PvP modes, new dungeons/endgame instances(FoW/UW/DoA/etc)and have a good story for an expansion like they did with Factions, Nightfall, and EotN. A-Net managed to keep GW going for 10 years without raising the level cap and Ithink they can do it with GW2 also.

This, but based on how Anet been doing things, I say they aren’t thinking about what’s best for the game…

On the contrary. Anet is thinking about what’s best for the game. Logically Anet has more stake in the game than you do. Imagine the audacity of a fan thinking they have more invested in the game than the company that makes it.

The amount of hubris of some of this fan base is astonishing. They know what’s best for the game, and Anet doesn’t know what’s best for the game.

At most, all anyone can know is what’s best for their play style. I know that there are changes that aren’t best for my play style, but I don’t think they’re necessarily bad for the game.

You may not like them. I may not like them. Joe may not like them. But bad for the game?

What makes you think you’re qualified to judge that?

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

On the contrary. Anet is thinking about what’s best for the game. Logically Anet has more stake in the game than you do. Imagine the audacity of a fan thinking they have more invested in the game than the company that makes it.

The amount of hubris of some of this fan base is astonishing. They know what’s best for the game, and Anet doesn’t know what’s best for the game.

At most, all anyone can know is what’s best for their play style. I know that there are changes that aren’t best for my play style, but I don’t think they’re necessarily bad for the game.

You may not like them. I may not like them. Joe may not like them. But bad for the game?

I’d say just go look at the 75+ pages on the Trait thread and that’ll tell you how most GW2 players feel A-Net is doing when it comes to “what’s best for Business” there HHH

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d say just go look at the 75+ pages on the Trait thread and that’ll tell you how most GW2 players feel A-Net is doing when it comes to “what’s best for Business” there HHH

And you pulled a single example out of dozens, if not hundreds. That means what exactly?

Saying that Anet made a mistake is not saying that they don’t do what’s best for the game. I don’t hear you saying that the Wardrobe wasn’t great for the game. Or the removal of culling. Even though some people didn’t like the megaserver, many are firmly convinced that was best for the game, and that’s the problem.

People want what’s best for THEM and assume that’s best for THE GAME. It’s not always a good assumption.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I see no merit to the idea of raising the level cap in GW2.
It wouldn’t push us to play the new HoT content, because you can level anywhere. And as demonstrated by pretty much every piece of content we’ve gotten since release, players don’t need any such “push” in the first place.
They can also add new skills without raising the level cap. In fact, finding unique content-related means of acquiring new skills would be a whole lot better then just gating them behind extra levels.

So what’s the point? to put a dull and unnecessary wall in-front of the new content? to make us re-grind to re-gear our characters?
Raising the level cap is just pointless in a game like GW2, it adds nothing of merit.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Well, there we go, staying at level 80 confirmed.

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Kitten yeah.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

HELL YES!

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I think we will get:

*New lvls of infusions- currently only blue quality
*Craftable ascended trinkets
*Solo mode dungeons OR hero/henchy/merc system from gw1 (unlikely)

A new progression panel to augment our characters in a non-op way – sorta like wvw ability points system but more class oriented.
*A couple new weapon choices that can be used by all classes
*Modable/Swapable weapon skills to tweak how each weapon skill works
[s]
A way to set our high lvl character’s power, in low lvl areas, down significantly to increase our drops quality. A type of hardmode in a way.[/s]

Mostly a wish list I guess ;-)
This sort of stuff.

;-(

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Eat it people who wanted more levels.

No new levels, no new tiers of gear, an alternate horizontal progression system!

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Eat it people who wanted more levels.

No new levels, no new tiers of gear, an alternate horizontal progression system!

wtf did I say yesterday.. Peeps gotta listen to me. booyah!

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Nope

The level gap is a long past dead concept. it really is and I’m thankful they didn’t include it. Even now with games that are old enough to have a level cap of 100 it’s an annoyance really that doesn’t do anything but delay progression. It’s one of the better decisions not to have it in this title I think especially if they want to tout that they are doing things differently than other mmo’s out there.

Leveling itself is actually an outdated concept that should be reserved for tabletop games. Seriously, it’s dead let it die completely so that new better mmos in the future after GW2 has become archaic (8 years from now I mean) will finally at long last never include leveling in their system ever again. It really needs to completely die off already honestly.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Raising Level Cap?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There is only ONE way more levels would be […]

Told you!

Specializations are basically that. More skills, more weapons, maybe more traits, same gear.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!