Rank 30 WvW Required for Gift of Battle Grind

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Legendaries are a WvW weapon. WvW participation should be required.

Legendaries are a PvE weapon. PvE should be the only requirement.

I have even better suggestion. No legendaries for people below 20k achievements. You just aren’t legendary enough with anything less.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

LOL I don’t get the point of this thread, you can still “earn” your gift of battle without ever setting foot in WvW, all you need is laurels and badges which you can “earn” just doing achievements while PvE’ing, only problem (which is really not a problem) is its a bit more on the time gated side if you lack laurels, so sadly you can’t have it right now, but chin up! 40 days and 2 monthlys should be more than enough time to get you your 60 laurels and enough AP to get everything you need, and you never have to step foot in WvW!

Why didn’t you say that earlier! Geee!

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Legendaries are weapons for those areas where they can be used. That means both PvE and WvW at this time. There is talk about adding sPvP, but unsure as to how it will work.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

only a r19 wvw here, I preferred s/t pvp so spent more time in the pvp environment there. Do I like the change, not really. I do however think its fair. In fact I believe one should be required to have a minimum of r30 in s/t pvp before one can equip one.

Many times we have seen wvw players complain about having to do pve to acquire various items, and it seems many of the pve community did not support them on their play style. What is good for one aspect of the game should be good for the other.

Appears there are a lot of double standards here.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

@Lanfeer: I am sorry that your computer can’t handle WvW zergs. However, you do not have to zerg to gain WXP or badges of honor. I get some WxP for taking control points or capping a bloodlust spot. Ask in map chat if a havoc squad has formed on the map and if they need/want another player on the squad. Havoc squads are groups of five people that run around and take smaller points that are too easy for zergs (supply posts come to mind) so that the zergs can focus on the things that they can take care of. If there isn’t a havoc squad and there are a few supply camps in enemy hands ask if there are four who would want to form a havoc squad and go out and take some supply camps and maybe a tower if you find one unmanned.

And before it was literally buy your legendary or play WvW to get to 500 badges of honor. And for you, getting to Rank 30 might be easier on your computer than getting to 500 badges of honor. Plus, from what I’ve been reading, looks like you can buy ranks with laurels, negating your complaint of even having to play WvW.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Everyone has long forgotten that it wasn’t always play WvW to get your BOH. For the longest time, they were referred to as badges of jumping, and for good reason.

On a side note, why in the heck were BOH added to the cost of a commander’s tome? Commanders are not only a WvW mechanism and they have a very real and valuable use in PvE. So why does it now cost BOH?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Think about this comparison:

Jumping puzzles are outside of many players ‘comfort zone’. It’s not a playstyle they enjoy and some have argued that they shouldn’t be part of GW2 (or any MMO or RPG) at all.

Should they therefore be offered an alternative way to get the achievements, and the achievement points that go along with it? So that they can ‘complete’ everything without stepping outside their comfort zone and chosen play style?

Or does rewarding people for something they haven’t done because they don’t feel like it sound totally absurd?

Now replace ‘achievements’ with ‘legendary’ and ‘jumping puzzle’ with ‘WvW’.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

Legendaries are weapons for those areas where they can be used. That means both PvE and WvW at this time. There is talk about adding sPvP, but unsure as to how it will work.

Oh I know, I was just picking on the “Legendaries are a WvW weapon” he pulled off his rear.

I have even better suggestion. No legendaries for people below 20k achievements. You just aren’t legendary enough with anything less.

Why stop at 20k? Any random no-lifer can get to 20k AP, the weapons would lose their prestige and exclusivity. 50k AP seems reasonable.

Posted by: ikiturso.4026

ikiturso.4026

Openin make’s no sence. Im pure wvw player wheres my legendary? Why i must grind pve for it so long?

Posted by: Nausicaa.9563

Nausicaa.9563

If you refuse to do wvw you can save up 50 laurels and 1250 badges by getting pve achieves and buy your rank this way.

Seera.5916

Everyone has long forgotten that it wasn’t always play WvW to get your BOH. For the longest time, they were referred to as badges of jumping, and for good reason.

On a side note, why in the heck were BOH added to the cost of a commander’s tome? Commanders are not only a WvW mechanism and they have a very real and valuable use in PvE. So why does it now cost BOH?

You can get BOH in the achievement chests. At least this way brand new players with a wallet don’t get to run around with a commander’s tag. They’ll have to play the game to either get the AP or the BOH. It’s been one of the complaints of the commander’s tag: that it could previously just be bought and was not a real sign of if someone knows the game or not.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

@Lanfeer: I am sorry that your computer can’t handle WvW zergs. However, you do not have to zerg to gain WXP or badges of honor. I get some WxP for taking control points or capping a bloodlust spot. Ask in map chat if a havoc squad has formed on the map and if they need/want another player on the squad. Havoc squads are groups of five people that run around and take smaller points that are too easy for zergs (supply posts come to mind) so that the zergs can focus on the things that they can take care of. If there isn’t a havoc squad and there are a few supply camps in enemy hands ask if there are four who would want to form a havoc squad and go out and take some supply camps and maybe a tower if you find one unmanned.

And before it was literally buy your legendary or play WvW to get to 500 badges of honor. And for you, getting to Rank 30 might be easier on your computer than getting to 500 badges of honor. Plus, from what I’ve been reading, looks like you can buy ranks with laurels, negating your complaint of even having to play WvW.

I have tried solo roaming or going in small groups. On several occasions. I’m not very good at it, but I do enjoy it… until the kittenes open their mouths. I honestly don’t think anyone should have to be subject to that abuse, thus my stance on the topic.

Actually, you’ll find that I don’t think anyone should be subjected to that type of abuse in any of the modes, but if you’re trying to play in a mode outside your comfort zone it does seem to be just that much worse. “pve noob” “pve scrub” “get out of our mode” “waste of space” The ignore list, sadly, has a limited number of people is can hold.

Perhaps purchasing rank is the only option for people of the same view as myself, but that doesn’t really solve the issue presented either.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Seera.5916

I have tried solo roaming or going in small groups. On several occasions. I’m not very good at it, but I do enjoy it… until the kittenes open their mouths. I honestly don’t think anyone should have to be subject to that abuse, thus my stance on the topic.

Actually, you’ll find that I don’t think anyone should be subjected to that type of abuse in any of the modes, but if you’re trying to play in a mode outside your comfort zone it does seem to be just that much worse. “pve noob” “pve scrub” “get out of our mode” “waste of space” The ignore list, sadly, has a limited number of people is can hold.

Perhaps purchasing rank is the only option for people of the same view as myself, but that doesn’t really solve the issue presented either.

WvW is out of my comfort zone.

I want to make 2 legendaries. I only have 1 Gift of Battle. I’m only Rank 4. I’ve got 26 more ranks to go before I hit Rank 30.

Runnning with a zerg bores me. Because it’s not challenging. Being social in an MMO or in general is hard for me. It would be hard for me to look for a havoc squad and I don’t have the skills for it either. I don’t have the skills for roaming either.

Yet, I’m not complaining about the change. And I don’t plan on buying it with laurels or whatever other methods there are or come out in the future. I will go and slowly work my up to Rank 30. Silently. So that the rude elitists of WvW won’t even know I’m there.

And by your argument, they should remove any and all requirements to get the legendary and just hand them out. Because you need 500 dungeon tokens to get them and if dungeons aren’t in your comfort zone, then the rude people there will really make that uncomfortable. So it’s mean to make have to play dungeons. Just hand out 500 dungeon tokens to every dungeon to people.

There are rude people out in the maps, especially in Queensdale, so because it will be hard to get map completion or the mats needed without running into some rude people, they should remove map completion. And Lion’s Arch is just a center of rude of people and there’s a TP there. They should remove having to have a ton of gold to buy mats and just hand them out since it’s too cruel to farm them or even buy them. Because there are people out there who don’t like doing PvE and dislike playing the TP.

This is a requirement for a legendary. A weapon that will always be the best in the game. It should have some pretty steep requirements in order to achieve a weapon like that. And it can have its stats swapped out of combat. It’s not something that you will have to have multiple of if you do things that require different builds.

At least they aren’t removing your ability to get BOH from the achievement chests. Before they added that, you HAD to play and be successful at WvW to get your legendary.

They added BOH to AP chests to placate the servers who rarely win things, but they soon realized that this was not the ideal situation for legendary creation. Because it removed the requirement to play WvW (and you don’t have to actually play WvW to map it out so don’t use that argument, I just map completed WvW last night and none of my things came from me actually playing WvW how it was meant to be played. I literally just ran to what my server had.). So they looked at their choices to correct their unintended side effect:

- Remove BOH from achievement chests.
- Add in an additional requirement to buy the Gift of Battle: having X rank in WvW.
- Increase the number of BOH needed in order to push most players into playing.

Which would you prefer?

I don’t know about you, but I prefer the course of action they chose. because getting to X rank means I can run with the zerg or run solo. Or buy my ranks if I really really don’t feel like playing WvW or can’t for other reasons (computer, reflexes, really slow internet, etc).

They chose the option that would inconvenience the fewest people in a way that doesn’t force them to do anything too difficult (dailies and monthlies aren’t hard).

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

So long as legendary items are available to purchase on the TP, the whole debate is somewhat moot. The only actual requirements for a legendary are lots of cash, or lots of gold. Buying them that way is essentially paying someone else to do the parts of the crafting process that you don’t like.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

lvl 30 is a joke. 30 hours of casual wvw

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Alukah.2063

Openin make’s no sence. Im pure wvw player wheres my legendary? Why i must grind pve for it so long?

Because Anet doesn’t recognize WvW as a real game mode, for them it’s just something to lure PvE players to like PvP, so all WvW players still have to deal with PvE.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

There’s nothing a birthday booster and WXP booster can’t solve. I’m serious.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Alukah.2063

There’s nothing a birthday booster and WXP booster can’t solve. I’m serious.

Serious question, how many birthday rewards do people get? I’ve seen people recommend them in other instances as if one would have an unlimited amount of birthday gifts ready to use for any situation, it makes me wonder how exactly they work.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s pretty pointless. I’d rather they replace map completion with that. 500 badges was a joke requirement though but I thought it was fine overall.

30 wvw levels isn’t really a fun grind though unless you deliberately karma train.

I’m not going to post what wvw levels I’ve gained so people can randomly guess where I’m at and accuse me of being lazy.

And honestly, screw all of this; where’s my Account Bound WXP? I don’t care about these stupid changes— don’t waste time on that.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Serious question, how many birthday rewards do people get? I’ve seen people recommend them in other instances as if one would have an unlimited amount of birthday gifts ready to use for any situation, it makes me wonder how exactly they work.

You get one per character, so if you fill out all free slots you will have 5 of them when all your characters have turned 1 year.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: WingedDante.9821

WingedDante.9821

I don’t often post on the forums, but as a mostly WvW player mostly, I crafted my legendary (after being forced to do map completion/run dungeons AKA PVE CONTENT) and didn’t whine about it once. And btw, WvW rank 30 is chump change compared to doing all the PvE map completion. Honestly, imo they should have made something in TPvP you have to get as well, since legendaries are supposed to be a symbol of your ‘experience’ in all aspects of the game.
I’m just glad they increased dragonite ore from Keeps now. I feel like ANet is moving in a good direction, after a couple mis-steps.
Also, Legendaries are supposed to be ‘grindy’. They wouldn’t have value if they weren’t.

[SG] Guardian Dante
WvW Commander/ PvP Brofessional

LanfearShadowflame.3189

WvW is out of my comfort zone.

-snip-

So as long as the bullying isn’t happening to you then it’s ok. You’re perfectly fine sitting back and letting them bully others. You’ll be a silent shadow, they won’t know you’re there, but you will also have no voice to help fix the wrongs.

I’m not a social butterfly either. I don’t make friends easily, but I don’t sit back and let others shoot their mouth off either. I tend to try to mediate, because we really don’t need those attitudes in the game, but unless others are willing to also stand up and be heard, nothing will change.

And by your argument, they should remove any and all requirements to get the legendary and just hand them out.

-snip-

Actually that’s not what I’m saying at all, and you’re blowing things out of proportion. Yes, there are kittenes in every mode, I’ve never argued that. Yes, there are people who will never do dungeons because of the people that run them. Yes, there are people that never turn on map chat because of how prevalent those types of people are. How is that ok with you? Cause it sure as hell isn’t with me. How is it ‘ok’ that people feel locked out of certain types of content or certain achievements because they can’t seem to find ‘good people’ to play it with?

But again, this rolls back around to ‘give us multiple means of acquisition.’ I’m not saying make it easier. I’m not saying just hand it to us. Not by any means, but why make a pve player do wvw if that’s not what they want to do? Why make a pvp player trek through pve is that’s not what they want to do? There is no reason that should cut them off from a goal, give them an alternate way to achieve it. Is that really so wrong?

This is on par with those that want more ways to acquire precursors. They should’t have to rely on rng or have to buy it off the TP. They want a scavenger hunt or crafting. Having alternate ways to obtain some of the gifts is no different.

This is a requirement for a legendary. A weapon that will always be the best in the game. It should have some pretty steep requirements in order to achieve a weapon like that. And it can have its stats swapped out of combat. It’s not something that you will have to have multiple of if you do things that require different builds.

I’m not disagreeing that it should have steep requirements. That it should require effort to obtain. (Although really, that’s all pretty much negated by the simple fact that you buy the kitten thing) I’m simply making a suggestion for additional options. Having more options never killed anyone. Although, I suppose it could if you got too caught up trying to decide and such, but I digress.

At least they aren’t removing your ability to get BOH from the achievement chests. Before they added that, you HAD to play and be successful at WvW to get your legendary.

They added BOH to AP chests to placate the servers who rarely win things, but they soon realized that this was not the ideal situation for legendary creation. Because it removed the requirement to play WvW (and you don’t have to actually play WvW to map it out so don’t use that argument, I just map completed WvW last night and none of my things came from me actually playing WvW how it was meant to be played. I literally just ran to what my server had.).

I’m aware you don’t need to ‘play’ wvw to get the mapping. While I don’t agree with including pvp requirements in a pve achievement, this is no different than having to map JQ and FA in GW1 for Canthan Cartographer. Some of us had hoped that they had learned their lesson when they finally removed the pvp requirement for fow and uw in GW1 (favor of the gods). IE pvp should not affect pve. Obviously not.

-snip-

Which would you prefer?

-snip-

I prefer options, like I said. There really isn’t any reason why the gift of battle should be locked to wvw. Just like there is no reason the various crafted gifts should be locked to the account that made them.

Edit: snips are mainly for length requirement…

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Because Anet wants it to be locked in with WvW. It’s a WvW related item, just like dungeon tokens are a dungeon-related item.

It’s anet’s decision to want to include all aspects (Except spvp) in the game to make a legendary.

Posted by: Bunta.5267

Bunta.5267

I think they should make it harder, like insanely harder, they should put in some more pvp, some weird tricky meta achievements that require nothing short of your blood, sweat and tears to get.

I mean come on chaps…it’s all about the journey.. not the sweet sweet candy dangling at the end of the rope leading to the van. Am I right or am I right?

Personally, in my serious and much important opinion, the final part of obtaining the legendary should be a wvwvw map which all three factions can easy get into and grief you by camping spots. Your weapon has to be raised out of a stone which is placed in the centre of the most insane jumping puzzle known to man…and then you have to hold the position for 60 seconds in super saiyan mode as wave after wave of fellow legendary go getters, enemies, friends, quaggans…probably the anet dev team as well, try to kill you for a prestigious mini pet….no wait…a 0.001% chance of getting a prestigious minipet.

Friends become enemies, enemies become friends, and right at the end if you survive you obliterate everyone and stand victorious over a sea of bloody corpses.

Gentlemen…I’ve fixed the problem, we can go home now.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Unless I can craft a legendary without having to do any stupid PvE, which is much more involved than doing WvW, I’m fine with this change.

PvE people need to just stop crying. Suck it up and deal with it.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Lindbur.2537

You get one per character, so if you fill out all free slots you will have 5 of them when all your characters have turned 1 year.

Yep, and they last for a solid 24 hours giving you double the WXP, among other boosts. Boosts only run while the character is active, so you can conserve your remaining time by playing selectively.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

How is playing WvW for a couple days at all the part of legendary that is objectionable?

Gate of Madness

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

What’s the problem here? You can buy WvW levels from the laurel merchant in the WvW zone starting areas? As other people have said you just need 60 laurels and the extra tokens you can get in achievement chests?

So you can still get this by doing just PvE. If you have to do world completion involving WvW is this really big news / a surprise?

It will gate access to legendaries a bit more – and if there’s still an argument that you HAVE to do wvw now to get a legendary, doesn’t that mean there’s a little bit of skill now required for a legendary?

Lindbur.2537

People are making a mountain out of a molehill, it’s just a one-time gate anyway from my understanding. Gifts of Battle are account bound.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It’s a legendary.

I’m all for getting rid of grind, but legendaries are the exception. The weapon is a status symbol, not a requirement for staying competitive or being competent like exotic/ascended gear.

You should have to put in legendary effort to get a legendary weapon, otherwise it’s just another shiny weapon skin.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

There should have been a warning so people could grab them before the requirement came in. Maybe they will open it up for a short window like the Karma.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

WvW players have been getting shafted for a long time now when compared to rewards earned in PvE and the argument has always been that if you really want that dungeon armor or that legendary weapon, then you need to do what it takes to earn it. Any mention of not enjoying PvE content has been met with “WELL NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO DO IT!!!11!!!!1!” since the game came out.

And now that ONE aspect of this game requires you to participate in WvW, you guys are up in arms. This is simply hilarious, and the best part is that ANet will probably meet your demands and remove the requirement because they don’t want to upset their PvE heroes who have been getting the majority of the new content catered to them.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

(edited by Flytrap.8075)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

WvW players have been getting shafted for a long time now when compared to rewards earned in PvE and the argument has always been that if you really want that dungeon armor or that legendary weapon, then you need to do what it takes to earn it. Any mention of not enjoying PvE content has been met with “WELL NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO DO IT!!!11!!!!1!” since the game came out.

And now that ONE aspect of this game requires you to participate in WvW, you guys are up in arms. This is simply hilarious, and the best part is that ANet will probably meet your demands and remove the requirement because they don’t want to upset their PvE heroes who have been getting the majority of the new content catered to them.

It’s true, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. But, I also don’t see any reason why wvw doesn’t (or shouldn’t) have it’s own unique skins that are only obtainable through doing wvw. I mean, you do have the one… but you could use a few (ok several) more. The same for spvp. Equal footing. Then if you want a dungeon skin, you have to do the dungeon. If pver like me wants the wvw skin, I have to wvw.

It would take some effort, but it could be done

Seera.5916

So as long as the bullying isn’t happening to you then it’s ok. -snip-

And by your argument, they should remove any and all requirements to get the legendary and just hand them out.

Actually that’s not what I’m saying at all, and you’re blowing things out of proportion. -snip-

I’m not disagreeing that it should have steep requirements. That it should require effort to obtain. (Although really, that’s all pretty much negated by the simple fact that you buy the kitten thing) I’m simply making a suggestion for additional options. Having more options never killed anyone. Although, I suppose it could if you got too caught up trying to decide and such, but I digress.

The Gift of Battle is the “I’ve done WvW” requirement of making a legendary. Just like the Gift of Knowledge for the Meteorologicus is the “I’ve done dungeons” requirement of it.

No, I do not like bullying. But I also know that no matter how many rules ANet puts in place or how harsh they get on bullies, that there will always be someone out there that does not play by the rules. So one must learn how to handle it. Report those that bully you and those that you see bullying others. And not let it effect what or how we play. That’s all we can do. Anything else lets the bullies win.

But to remove WvW requirement from the legendary just because there are bullies in WvW is just silly. Which is why your argument against the Rank 30 requirement can be so easily turned into a: let’s just hand out legendaries to people. Because bullies are everywhere and it’s not fair to subject players to bullies when not everyone likes doing X, Y, or Z in the first place. I wasn’t saying that you in particular were asking for that, but you can’t say that it wouldn’t be illogical to reach that conclusion.

And there are options for it. Rank 30 can be bought with laurels or by solo roaming or by zerging or by playing in a havoc squad. You either have to fork over some laurels to negate the fact that you don’t want to play WvW (for whatever reason) or play WvW.

Now they could have more options in store, but we all know ANet likes to roll options out in pieces. And that’s a discussion for another thread.

Now, is Rank 30 the perfect Rank level for it or should it be higher or should it be lower? I personally don’t know as I don’t know how long it takes to get 1 rank on average. But having some Rank there to buy the Gift of Battle is the right decision.

WvW is weird. In some cases it’s considered PvP (a lot of boosters don’t work in WvW because of it’s PvP nature). In others it’s considered PvE (legendary creation, map completion, skins of armor and weapons, LS).

Should new legendary weapons use the same recipe? No. Give them a different recipe. Maybe make 2 new sets of legendary weapons. One that’s all WvW earned and one that’s all PvE earned. The current set can be to show people: I do it all! The other sets can be a: Hey, look, I’m really good at [WvW/PvE]!

Then, there will be options. More options. Without a PR disaster that changing the current legendaries will bring and will let them keep the meaning of the current legendary weapon set intact: that someone has done a little bit of everything.

Snipping was done for length purposes.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Welp, grats to everyone who is going to jack up their prices on completed legendaries due to the bar being set even further away from a casual player.

Great work on fixing the whole legendary problem. It’s only gotten worse day by day since the initial notice that Dusk was selling for 600g and this was ‘worrysome’.

I had the lightest amount of interest in the new wvw map since it didn’t seem like a siege gold sink, but to think I’m going to be forced to play it dashes my will to play even more.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Seera.5916

There should have been a warning so people could grab them before the requirement came in. Maybe they will open it up for a short window like the Karma.

I would not be opposed to this as it was all of a sudden without warning and someone who was right on top of getting the legendary but hadn’t quite gotten the gift of battle due to not really liking WvW probably got a major blow to their desire to finish their legendary.

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

It’s true, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. But, I also don’t see any reason why wvw doesn’t (or shouldn’t) have it’s own unique skins that are only obtainable through doing wvw. I mean, you do have the one… but you could use a few (ok several) more. The same for spvp. Equal footing. Then if you want a dungeon skin, you have to do the dungeon. If pver like me wants the wvw skin, I have to wvw.

It would take some effort, but it could be done

Yes, I agree with everything you said.

ANet doesn’t seem to, however; any new skins that we get are tied to the Gem Store or Living Story.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I think this change is a move in the right direction. R30 is easily acquired casually and it forces the player to truly experience some measure of WvW in order to acquire a weapon that can then be used in WvW. Good show.

That said, I am not happy that ANet forgot to mention this in the patch notes. It shows a lot of laziness on their parts, and it showcases just how bad their internal communication is and how poor their release process is.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

you dont need to fight people to get wxp. there is, of course, the laurel vendor… but soloing a camp is entirely pve and worth 320-500 wxp… a sentry is worth 120-150… and yaks dont even fight back.

make sure you have mobility skills equipped and if you actually see a person run away.

rank 30 is peanuts and you can get it by fighting npcs so long as you maintain a level of situational awareness.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I wish they’d add PvP component for Legendaries just so ANet can troll you guys!! :[ yes with fangs

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Seera.5916

I think this change is a move in the right direction. R30 is easily acquired casually and it forces the player to truly experience some measure of WvW in order to acquire a weapon that can then be used in WvW. Good show.

That said, I am not happy that ANet forgot to mention this in the patch notes. It shows a lot of laziness on their parts, and it showcases just how bad their internal communication is and how poor their release process is.

It is in the patch notes:

Added a requirement to attain rank 30 in WvW in order to purchase the Gift of Battle.

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-February-4-2014/first#post3591492

It’s in the Balance and Bug fixing section. last Bullet in the World vs World section

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I for one fully enjoy the idea that I can purchase WvWvW levels with Laurels and Badges.
This way I can get the bonus chests that have been collecting dust and enjoy the process.
A fair compromise really.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

All this “manly” talk about how easy it is to get to r30 is complete bullkitten. I’ve run in WvW on and off since January of 2013, and after countless doors, keeps, etc., and a lot more kills than I ever thought I’d get, I’m only r11. You have to be some special sort of mental if you think there’s no grind to get to level 30.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I don’t want to run Arah nine times to get Bifrost — can someone code me a work-around?

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

It is in the patch notes:

Added a requirement to attain rank 30 in WvW in order to purchase the Gift of Battle.

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-February-4-2014/first#post3591492

It’s in the Balance and Bug fixing section. last Bullet in the World vs World section

Was that added after the fact? Huh. Well, I take it back then. I definitely read those patch notes twice when they came out, though, and didn’t see it. Oh well, thanks for correcting me.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

R30 is so easy for legendary weapons, please make it R100 for it to be a real legendary.

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

I don’t want to run Arah nine times to get Bifrost — can someone code me a work-around?

People are selling runs you know. You can also buy rank with laurels.. so this change doesn’t force you to have mastery of the game at all.. only more time.

If legendaries are to require mastery it should require WvW rank, PvP rank and certain PvE achievements to even equip it.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The Gift of Battle is the “I’ve done WvW” requirement of making a legendary. Just like the Gift of Knowledge for the Meteorologicus is the “I’ve done dungeons” requirement of it.

So why can’t the gift of battle also be gotten for spvp? Is it dependent on having to battle people rather than npcs specifically? Could not killing zaihtan and achieving dungeon master not also be considered a ‘battle’ achievement?

No, I do not like bullying. But I also know that no matter how many rules ANet puts in place or how harsh they get on bullies, that there will always be someone out there that does not play by the rules. So one must learn how to handle it. Report those that bully you and those that you see bullying others. And not let it effect what or how we play. That’s all we can do. Anything else lets the bullies win.

Yes, always report, but one should stand up and say something too. In a lot of instances the bully will back down when confronted by those that aren’t going to shrink away from him. Simply reporting and staying silent is letting the bully win as well, because who knows how long it will be before anything is done, if anything is done. There are far too many who won’t even bother reporting, because oh well, it’s not happening to them. If more in the community stood and said they wouldn’t tolerate it, it would become less prevalent, but someone has to take that first step and have a voice.

But to remove WvW requirement from the legendary just because there are bullies in WvW is just silly. -snip-

There are more reasons than just bullies. Many of which have been touched on. kittens are just my biggest reason for not entertaining participating in WvW more often. Followed by the zerg lag.

Yes, there are some options. You can buy the rank instead of running it. You can zerg or you can roam. However why could there not also be a non-wvw required equivalent to the gift of battle? There really isn’t one, other than the ‘we want you to do this play mode.’ Fine, I’ll try the mode, but let me try it of my choice not because its a roadblock to my game play goal. I feel like I’m being prodded around like a sheep here. Well, you can’t do ‘x’ until you do ‘y’….well now you have to do ‘z’. When did I sign back up for WoW? (Ok, a little extreme, but that’s the kind of jacked around feeling I have)

WvW is weird. In some cases it’s considered PvP (a lot of boosters don’t work in WvW because of it’s PvP nature). In others it’s considered PvE (legendary creation, map completion, skins of armor and weapons, LS).

It’s pvpve – Player Vs. Player Vs. Environment, which was Aoin’s big ‘thing’ when it came out.

Should new legendary weapons use the same recipe? No. Give them a different recipe. Maybe make 2 new sets of legendary weapons. One that’s all WvW earned and one that’s all PvE earned. The current set can be to show people: I do it all! The other sets can be a: Hey, look, I’m really good at [WvW/PvE]!

I’d actually made pretty much the same suggestion. Split the types. Then wvwers can get wvw legendaries, pvpers can get pvp legendaries, and pvers have pve legendaries. Let the cross mode players combine theirs to make something niftier looking.

Then, there will be options. More options. Without a PR disaster that changing the current legendaries will bring and will let them keep the meaning of the current legendary weapon set intact: that someone has done a little bit of everything.

It seems everything they do is a PR disaster these days. Everyone is always in an uproar.

The splitting could still be done for existing legendaries, they would all just share the same skin for now. Just give people the option of which ‘mode’ they want it to represent. Doesn’t mean it won’t function in the others, it’d still work the same. These ones just wouldn’t have any special ‘combining’ affect like newer ones could.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I WvW occasionally when I have time. My friends mainly PvE and I enjoy running through dungeons with them more than joining a zerg of people I don’t know. That being said, I don’t mind the PvP aspect and I enjoy WvW occasionally on my own. After a year my main is still rank 12.

I think if you need a requirement for gift of battle, rank 10 should be good enough to have players experience the essence of battle.

If you need to put a rank 30 requirement on something, please put it on commander tags. Force people to have learned how to work together, before they’re even allowed to buy a tag.

Are you trying to imply rank means something? :P

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Rank only implies how much time you spent participating in WvW — and only loosely.

Pop your birthday booster and you’ll get that rank in 5 hours with a decent zerg. That’s less time than 9 arah runs (which take at least 3 days due to time gating).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”