Reasons you did not choose a Charr

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

THEY’RE UGLY AS SIN IS WHY

Actually I’m playing a Charr right now, the problem of horrible ugliness seems to be somewhat solved by picking a female Charr and fiddling with the sliders a bit. Put enough effort into it, and you can come up with a cute little death machine.

Key words being “enough effort.” You really have to game the system if you want to look decent. Not a problem for humans, they’re actually some of the best-looking humans I’ve seen in any game.

I cannot scold Arena’s character designers enough. How hard can it be to hire a furry to design your cat people? It’s not like they’re hard to find. Sheesh.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

Well I created a female charr. I don’t care for the male looks at all, AND it is my least favorite race in regards to looks: I don’t like the hunched back. I also don’t care for the running on all fours. They should either do everything on all fours OR always stand upright. Also, I don’t like the fact that most of the armors cover up all the fur that I selected.
I think Anet should take the time to improve them.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I REALLY don’t like their animations. I don’t like being forced on all fours just to run, I don’t like the way they hold one handed weapons at the pommel, I don’t like their sideways hobble when they run with weapons unseathed, and a lot of their attack animations just seem a bit lazy. All of this on top of armor clipping and weird stretching. Not the biggest fan of the common ‘hunched back’ look, either.

Posted by: Meadfreek.6789

Meadfreek.6789

I don’t like the way they run. I played a Worgen briefly in WoW and something about that running style just bugs me. Plus, they seem to run slow (even if they don’t).

Plus, Black Citadel is a maze. A dark, dungy maze.

Mead
Tol Acharn [PHNX]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Matter of taste; while I have 3 humans, my female Charr is among my most successful characters from many points of view. Not “ugly” at all, but huge and imposing-awesome character to play.

Just gotta make one you like. The clipping is an issue, but I still went ahead and bought a Wind helmet for my Willa, so it matches her eye color as well as character.

That said, if you don’t like them, that’s OK, but IMHO, the humans vs Charr argument is overdone, because all races have criminals and bigots among their numbers-humans in this game as well as in the first are capable of unspeakable atrocities, even though they lack tails, horns, and claws.

Posted by: Leon Derge.5239

Leon Derge.5239

a race option that (believe it or not) many people actually like.

Well, not really..

I was going to post that same image in response to the quoted post. Its a legit thread as much as Red may disagree. Charr are the least popular race and the OP was asking why that was the case.

For some people there are lore reasons. For some people it has to do with armor and clipping. For others that could overlook those, the animations themselves caused issues.

As far as players go, Charr are just about a dead race. Consider that out of that 13%, X of those are alts made by players that want one of each race, but don’t play or care for it.

I’m a pretty avid Charr Player, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Heck, I just rerolled my Human Guardian into a Charr Guardian. If they were to do something like redesign the Charr simply for the majority I’m pretty sure I’d honestly stop playing Guild Wars 2.

Anyway, while I am still an avid Charr player there is still one big thing that bugs me and I’m sure is a big reason a lot of people don’t play Charr. Armor clipping.

It’s pretty frustrating to see most of the leggings in this game clip with the Charr tail. What makes it worse? That a lot of the longcoat style leggings are stretched out to accommodate for the tail, and it still clips.

If they fixed tail clipping, I’d be a very happy Charr indeed, and I do think many of the people who don’t play the Charr currently would at least give the Charr a shot.

“The path of the Guardian is not one to be taken lightly…”

-Rayn Brightclaw, Tarnished Coast

(edited by Leon Derge.5239)

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

a race option that (believe it or not) many people actually like.

Well, not really..

I was going to post that same image in response to the quoted post. Its a legit thread as much as Red may disagree. Charr are the least popular race and the OP was asking why that was the case.

For some people there are lore reasons. For some people it has to do with armor and clipping. For others that could overlook those, the animations themselves caused issues.

As far as players go, Charr are just about a dead race. Consider that out of that 13%, X of those are alts made by players that want one of each race, but don’t play or care for it.

I’m a pretty avid Charr Player, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Heck, I just rerolled my Human Guardian into a Charr Guardian. If they were to do something like redesign the Charr simply for the majority I’m pretty sure I’d honestly stop playing Guild Wars 2.

Anyway, while I am still an avid Charr player there is still one big thing that bugs me and I’m sure is a big reason a lot of people don’t play Charr. Armor clipping.

It’s pretty frustrating to see most of the leggings in this game clip with the Charr tail. What makes it worse? That a lot of the longcoat style leggings are stretched out to accommodate for the tail, and it still clips.

If they fixed tail clipping, I’d be a very happy Charr indeed, and I do think many of the people who don’t play the Charr currently would at least give the Charr a shot.

Contrary to Avid’s statement, I main a charr and have 5 human alts that I never play. I don’t think the average human has 5 charr alts. Just saying.

Posted by: psyckos.6893

psyckos.6893

I don’t like how they feel when moving. They feel clumsy at best even though they appear to be part feline. Maybe they inherited their agility from cows/bulls. From an RP standpoint, a 500lb. stumbling bison with sharp teeth doesn’t seem very stealthy (Ash legion is a joke). Also, the most flammable race in the game (yes, more than sylvari) is in love with fire. I know they hate the flame legion, but they’re still the same race with pet fire elementals. Never understood how so many fire huggers still have all of their fur. Bald and burnt should be the default flame legion appearance.

Absolutely rage inducing when trying to complete a jumping puzzle as one (or with one blocking your view).

From an architectural standpoint, the Black Citadel is a wreck. To get from point A to point B, you have to go around point C, through point F, down to point D, up through point E and hang a right at point G. No mini-map ever created can guide you through that. I saved completing that city for last on every one of my toons. After 9 times, it’s about 2% less mind numbing than it was the first time.

All that said, I love how my male charr guardian looks. Took me 4 total makeover kits to get him the way he is, but I finally like him. Screens below.

In regards to the large amount of people that utterly hate the race due to playing guild wars 1, I shared your sentiment UNTIL I read Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny. GoA dulled the charr hate and EoD made me hate the human race enough to overlook the searing as a “you deserve this” moment.

Spoiler Alert Save the extremely powerful mesmer Queen from dragon minions or kill the dragon? Great decision there Logan.

Attachments:

(edited by psyckos.6893)

Posted by: Kai.9182

Kai.9182

I’d reroll charr, but gg all my “awesome” ascended items, which took ages to get being in wvw most the time. If they made a race change thing that would be epic.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Animations feel terrible relative to other races.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Charr culture puts me off. Simple as that.

This is the main reason for me, too.

I do have alts of all races, so I’ve made a Charr, but she doesn’t get used that much, and the primary reason is that I’m just not very interested in playing the militaristic ethos. Nothing against people who like it, but it’s not my thing.

It’s residual feelings from GW1, also. I don’t think the Charr are inherently morally worse than other races (humans have committed plenty of atrocities too) but there’s an emotional difference between something I’ve just heard about as backstory and something I had a character live through. It’s not a rational thing and it doesn’t make Charr objectively bad, of course, but it makes me less want to play them.

I could probably get over this if I saw indications that a significant number of modern Charr regret what their ancestors did in the Searing, but there’s very little evidence of that, so it’s still off-putting to me in terms of throwing myself into playing a Charr.

I’m happy with my human main.

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

I rolled a charr day one. The only reason he hasn’t gotten much play is because I’m an altoholic. But he is now getting his due—I’ve had no trouble doing jumping puzzles and engineer is quite fun. Also the charr personalities are great. Haters gonna hate.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

I actually do have a Charr. xD Not as a main though.

I’ve always liked Charrs. First mostly for their looks and animations, but Rytlock grew on me and even though I’m not a fan of militaristic races usually I do like the culture where males and females are equal and the warbands. The personal story I did was one of my favourites.

I first had a level 40 Charr engineer but I could not stand the armor (tail clipping and stretching of the coats) so I rerolled it into an Asura. I now have a Charr Guardian because there are much more heavy armor options to pick from that look decent on Charrs. I wanted a Charr Mesmer but decided to make her Norn instead, simply because the light armor looks extremely bad on Charr. It’s like they’re wearing clothes a few sizes too small on most pieces.

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

I love my Charr, both of them and I come to you humans as a diplomat, of sorts.

We Charr do not hate you, or your culture, or Gods.

This I can say with certainty, we simply view you as a yet, untapped, food source.

Now go about your business.

:)

CCCP….

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

The land.. dear god the land… Its sooo ugly.. puts me right off playing charr.. yes.. even though i can explore else where.. everytime i think charr – i think plains of ash.. fireheart etc.. and those zones r dam depressing and boring lol

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Because human master race.

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

I love the Charr and their culture, only second to Asuras. But i have 3 human as opposed to 2 Charr and 2 Asura.

The clipping really puts me off.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Wait…people actually notice armor clipping? Do you guys actually look at yourselves constantly instead of concentrating on the enemy?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Dont like their lore and generally think the game went too far into the “tech” direction, which is most evident in charr and asura ( have characters of the other 3 races).

Posted by: JDGumby.7685

JDGumby.7685

Wait…people actually notice armor clipping? Do you guys actually look at yourselves constantly instead of concentrating on the enemy?

It’s hard not to, given how much of the screen Charr (and Norn) take up.

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Wait… you find the game so difficult at all times that you need to concentrate on the enemy at all times?

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

There are 3 reasons why I’m not a fan of the charr.

1. I hate their homeland. It looks awful to me. Most if looks like dying plants barely covering up sand and ash.

2. Most of them act crude and act like complete jerks (this is not to say all of them do but most).

3. And the biggest reason is, I cannot really find any armor that looks good on them whether it be light, medium, or heavy. I’ve tried several times to make a charr, and have made another that could have potential but armorwise they look awful in pretty much everything.

Here are a couple looks I’ve been toying with for a war charr. Unfortunately I can’t dye these the way I would like. I’m not going to buy several expensive dyes for a toon that I may end up deleting.

Attachments:

RyuDragnier.9476

Wait… you find the game so difficult at all times that you need to concentrate on the enemy at all times?

WvW…yes. I tend to concentrate mostly on endgame stuff. Though even when I was leveling I never noticed the clipping. I was too engrossed in how beautiful the regions were while running through them…while at the same time running for my life when needed to.

[hS]

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Why I’m no fan of Charr:

1. Ascalon is ugly, their technology is ugly, it all looks like blighted and ugly land to me
2. Don’t like what they did to Ascalon in the past
3. Don’t like they are responsible for Orr sinking
4. Absolutely don’t like what they did to Gwen in GW1
5. Hate their society
6. Hate the Flame Legion being sexist
7. Didn’t want to be called a “furry” or any of that BS
8. Find the male designs unappealing and visually ugly to look at while the females are all cute and housecat like. Any reason for this?
9. Hate how they view the ghosts in Ascalon
10. Camera issues while jumping

That said, I do have two female Charr as “for fun” characters and because I was curious what the Charr personal story was.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

RyuDragnier.9476

1. Ascalon is near a desert, and happens to also have parts of it transformed by the brand. Think of it as the plains of Africa.
2. I blame that on the fanatical Flame Legion…and their obsessiveness with Baelfire (seriously, they talk so much about him that I think all of them love him in THAT way).
3. That was actually the fault of the Vizier who cast the forbidden spell which subsequently awoke Zhaitan while at the same time causing Orr to sink.
4. Get over it, Logan did.
5. You hate a military society? The Spartans are disappointed in you.
6. If you have a Blood Legion charr, you’ll know that the regular Charr hate them for this too…especially the females.
7. Why would you even care?
8. Compare the looks of any big cat species male to any female of the same species. That’s why.
9. Considering the ghosts attack ANYBODY, INCLUDING HUMANS who come near them, I can’t blame them for viewing the ghosts this way.
10. That…well, that one I blame on the camera system.

[hS]

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I will never forgive the Charr for what they did to Ascalon.
One day we will rebuild Ascalon, and drive the Charr back north, or rend them from this world completely.

Ascalon Eternal!

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I don’t like how they feel when moving. They feel clumsy at best even though they appear to be part feline. Maybe they inherited their agility from cows/bulls. From an RP standpoint, a 500lb. stumbling bison with sharp teeth doesn’t seem very stealthy (Ash legion is a joke). Also, the most flammable race in the game (yes, more than sylvari) is in love with fire. I know they hate the flame legion, but they’re still the same race with pet fire elementals. Never understood how so many fire huggers still have all of their fur. Bald and burnt should be the default flame legion appearance.

Absolutely rage inducing when trying to complete a jumping puzzle as one (or with one blocking your view).

From an architectural standpoint, the Black Citadel is a wreck. To get from point A to point B, you have to go around point C, through point F, down to point D, up through point E and hang a right at point G. No mini-map ever created can guide you through that. I saved completing that city for last on every one of my toons. After 9 times, it’s about 2% less mind numbing than it was the first time.

All that said, I love how my male charr guardian looks. Took me 4 total makeover kits to get him the way he is, but I finally like him. Screens below.

In regards to the large amount of people that utterly hate the race due to playing guild wars 1, I shared your sentiment UNTIL I read Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny. GoA dulled the charr hate and EoD made me hate the human race enough to overlook the searing as a “you deserve this” moment.

Spoiler Alert Save the extremely powerful mesmer Queen from dragon minions or kill the dragon? Great decision there Logan.

Wow, you really devoured those two pieces of marketing whole hog huh? Anyone can write something that changes established paradigms, it’s quite another to implicate the first paradigms never even existed.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Obsidian.1328

1. Ascalon is near a desert, and happens to also have parts of it transformed by the brand. Think of it as the plains of Africa.
2. I blame that on the fanatical Flame Legion…and their obsessiveness with Baelfire (seriously, they talk so much about him that I think all of them love him in THAT way).
3. That was actually the fault of the Vizier who cast the forbidden spell which subsequently awoke Zhaitan while at the same time causing Orr to sink.
4. Get over it, Logan did.
5. You hate a military society? The Spartans are disappointed in you.
6. If you have a Blood Legion charr, you’ll know that the regular Charr hate them for this too…especially the females.
7. Why would you even care?
8. Compare the looks of any big cat species male to any female of the same species. That’s why.
9. Considering the ghosts attack ANYBODY, INCLUDING HUMANS who come near them, I can’t blame them for viewing the ghosts this way.
10. That…well, that one I blame on the camera system.

1. Ascalon was never a desert, it’s rolling hills and valleys used to be as green as the grove.
2. All Charr wanted to see Ascalon(ians) burn, not just the Flame Legion. That cop out is a creation of the current writers.
3. Yeah Khilbron did that. Of course, there was a Charr horde on Arah’s doorstep. Nuking the whole area out of desperation seemed a viable option. Now why does that sound familiar…
4. Gwen was too emo. But so is Logan. A chip off the old, old, old, block?
5. The Spartans also happened to destroy themselves by weeding out way too many “weak” children to the point where their slaves finally rose up and overthrew the few Spartans that were left. Darwin is disappointed in them.
6. Yeah. Oh the Flame Legion were responsible for that too I bet! Oh right…
7. I’m with you on this one, I don’t know what a “furry” is. :/
8. All I know about cats is they look funny when they do that paw-licking/head-rubbing grooming thing. It’s hilarious. Really.
9. Considering almost no one on ANet’s staff now was around during GW1, I can’t blame them for viewing it so irresponsibly. Lol, w/e. Of course I can.
10. Ditto, camera system. Although technically they should survive the falls a lot better than the other species. Just saying.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

“Reasons you did not choose a Charr”

I did.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

2. All Charr wanted to see Ascalon(ians) burn, not just the Flame Legion. That cop out is a creation of the current writers.

Yeah, this. If one pays attention to Pyre Fierceshot’s ambient patter in GW1 (bearing in mind he was not even just a random Charr, but the leader of the rebellion against the Flame Legion, so he’s about as diametrically opposed to them as you can get) it’s pretty clear he has no disapproval of the Searing or the push against the human nations at all:

“My father was a great soldier. Without him, Ascalon would not be the smoldering ruin it is today. I will honor his memory.”

“Yes, mouse. Your people will retake their homeland… when they can eat ash and sleep in flame.”

“You will burn like Ascalon!”

“The Vizier destroyed his own country rather than fight us. That… is a compliment.”

Doesn’t exactly convey the impression that he was in intense disagreement with a minority of his fellow Charr, and he’s probably pretty representative of the opposing Charr faction.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

I do have a level 80 Charr but as a GW1 person I too had a hard time with them until I remember Pyre Fierceshot. But he did always call me Meat. But the centaurs always called me Two Legs.

But I must say he jus plain sucks at jumping puzzles. And their armor could be better. But I’ve gotten used to my Guardian Charr and he’s kind of OK now. I did buy him one of those helms we got in Airship but even that is iffy.

Posted by: SSGroguey.5841

SSGroguey.5841

I’ve actually posted this a few times in a much more compact version, but…

A while ago during beta, I was debating over what I would play. At the time, I loved the idea of human, sylvari, and asura. By the time weekend 2 rolled around, I gradually began warming up to charr. I played with character select quite a bit and got to the point where I actually really liked some of the charr choices. However, one of my small problems that I still have with the game is their limited choices. Charr have a very tiny pool of body types (asura do too) and there are some great horns/eyes that are gender exclusive, further adding to limited choices. (Because if you like a blind charr, you can only roll a female as I recall).

Flash forward to game release. I decided to go with human thief (always been my main in most mmosI play), mesmer, and guardian as my three favorite classes. I went with a male Charr guardian. I mean, heavy plated cat person, seemed like what fit most charr. I loved leveling my guardian it was fun to play, it was my 3rd 80. So once I hit 80, it was time to pick an outfit and start gearing him up. I go to the mists and come to find out 99% of the armor looks like crap on him! He only really looked good in cultural, and I didn’t have the money for that, nor did I really want that armor. I see my guildmates running around with awesome guardians and ask what armor it is, only to be disappointed because my charr looks ugly as sin. I tried so hard to make it work, but I finally gave up and deleted him.

Now I’m at the point where I am looking at ranger and elementalist. I have two humans (rerolled my charr to human guardian) and a sylvari and I want something different. So I make a female charr this time and before I consider leveling her I take a look in the mists at the armor. There’s nicer choices this time, but what am I running into again? Almost the same thing except charr light cultural is a joke, it’s ugly. I can almost get a few ideas together for a light armored charr, but the problems with their armor make it so hard. Same thing with medium armor…

I really want a charr, I love the female voices, and I would like at least one of each race, but when over half of the armor looks bad I don’t think I could do it. Especially after going through it and hitting 80 once before. Not to mention, I’ve heard that since charr is least played, there is most likely not going to be a change any time soon.

tl;dr — Had an 80 charr guard, couldn’t find any good armor for him. Deleted him and have attempted a medium/light charr. Can’t find any good armor, having a hard time considering rolling and leveling another to 80.

Posted by: Fergus.4208

Fergus.4208

Norn and humans are to similar to humans to be considered inventive, but the other races are definitely above the average fantasy races. The races are inventive and interesting.

The charrr run animations appears to be similar to a lion running very fast, only the charr doesn’ move very fast. This comes down to the fact that races are only meant to be a visual difference, and charr are very large. They could consider altering animations. Although cat like, they aren’t built like normal cats. They have hands.

Two possible candidates that may have more suitable animations for charr, are gorilla’s and bears.

Ofcourse run speed being equal put aside, I’d rather see them be able to run like now, only very fast.

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

I did not choose a Charr because there is no need to make Tribulation mode harder than it already is

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Yeah, this. If one pays attention to Pyre Fierceshot’s ambient patter in GW1 (bearing in mind he was not even just a random Charr, but the leader of the rebellion against the Flame Legion, so he’s about as diametrically opposed to them as you can get) it’s pretty clear he has no disapproval of the Searing or the push against the human nations at all:

“My father was a great soldier. Without him, Ascalon would not be the smoldering ruin it is today. I will honor his memory.”

“Yes, mouse. Your people will retake their homeland… when they can eat ash and sleep in flame.”

“You will burn like Ascalon!”

“The Vizier destroyed his own country rather than fight us. That… is a compliment.”

Doesn’t exactly convey the impression that he was in intense disagreement with a minority of his fellow Charr, and he’s probably pretty representative of the opposing Charr faction.

I’m going back and playing Prophecies now, will have to pay close attention to ambient Charr discussion.
As an aside, I just find that Charr society hasn’t changed much nor has their attitude/views seemed to have changed much from then. Hard to like them when they are soo similar to the cruel villains they were in the first game.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Obsidian.1328

I’m going back and playing Prophecies now, will have to pay close attention to ambient Charr discussion.

When you do, be sure to note the subtle differences between Prophecies Charr and EotN Charr.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

2. All Charr wanted to see Ascalon(ians) burn, not just the Flame Legion. That cop out is a creation of the current writers..

Copout?

It’s a new generation.

That’s as ridiculous as blaming this generation of white people for slavery.

Posted by: summourn.4982

summourn.4982

Before I was able to play the game, I’d dreamed of and planned to make a Charr elementalist as my main. That quickly changed when I saw two things, though:

The biggest reason is, and while I do understand it clashes with their society, I suppose, I would have at least liked just one or two existing options in the game to be like this: I wanted robes that were beautiful. Long and flowy, elegant. I wanted a ruthless, beasty type character who at the same time had a strange feline elegance to her as she slung spells at her enemies.

Instead, all of the armor appears like ill-fitted bath robes (or male versions of armor). There was little detail to them and they barely resembled what I imagine a mage type character to wear. Even the cultural cloth I was disappointed with, as they looked like more undetailed bath robes but at least fit the character less awkwardly.

Again, perhaps this is just a personal thing and goes against in game cultural lore, but all I wanted was at least one option that was flowing and elegant for a Charr caster (think something along the vein of the high level conjurer set with its gems and long skirt, etc). It’s the same reason why I abandoned my female Asura as my main. The cultural armor DOES look good on Asura, but that’s about it. I don’t want to be stuck wearing pants and male clothes despite being a female because of the race I chose. I like elegant and flowing clothing. It’s just a personal style choice.

Anyway, sorry for ranting! On to reason #2: The hairstyles. There’s only one I like. I don’t love it. I like it. It’s okay. All the others are mohawks, and well, as you can tell, I tend to like elegant things. I’m not saying that I expect Charr to have bleach blonde, styled supermodel hair. Oh gods no. I just wish there were longer, fuller options in general. A mane. Long dreadlocks with tiny trinkets or gears mixed in, etc.

Even if the armor wasn’t “elegant” but had longer skirts/robes/whatever, more detail (more layers, gems or gears or something integrated in) I’d reconsider. But right now they just resemble rubbery looking bath robes to me.

TL;DR – Don’t like how female Charr casters look in robes. Wish for more detailed options in clothing and hairstyles.

(edited by summourn.4982)

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

2. All Charr wanted to see Ascalon(ians) burn, not just the Flame Legion. That cop out is a creation of the current writers..

Copout?

It’s a new generation.

Not really. It’s not blaming people for the past – it’s blaming people for their current attitudes about the past. If modern Charr society seemed to regret past atrocities and to have become more enlightened, that would be another matter… but I frankly don’t see a lot of evidence of that change in perspective having happened.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

@Anakita

that’s because Charr are largely pragmatic. they understand their ancestors simply did what they thought had to be done, using the means at their disposal.

as to why I don’t have a Charr… well, i’m getting there, just need to buy a few more char slots. got 8 of them planned, all with full bio and stuff. simply a matter of logistics

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

I don’t get the hate for the running animation….Charr running looks 100x cooler than any other race running

Obsidian.1328

Copout?

It’s a new generation.

You missed my point entirely. I’m not blaming the Charr, I’m blaming the writers. They go to great lengths to try to distinguish between the Charr who “coerced” the rest of em to roflstomp humanity on Tyria, and the everyday Charr who got coerced into it.

That’s just not how it was. Every Charr was on the same page back then when it came to gutting humans. The Titans and the Cauldron Searing(coordinated by the Flame Legion) merely provided the Charr the means to do so. They only wrote in the “Flame Legion overlord” distinction later when they had decided to make the Charr a playable race.

Can’t have a bad guy race in a game with no faction fighting, simple as that.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I finally made a Charr so that I could get the 30 achievement points for doing the Impersonal Story up to lvl 28.

And here, in a nutshell, is why I don’t like Charr.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Copout?

It’s a new generation.

Not really. It’s not blaming people for the past – it’s blaming people for their current attitudes about the past. If modern Charr society seemed to regret past atrocities and to have become more enlightened, that would be another matter… but I frankly don’t see a lot of evidence of that change in perspective having happened.

You’re acting like the charr are the only ones guilty of that. The humans of Tyria are in the same boat as the charr. It’s a 2 way street.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

ArenaNet should bring back charr hide armour. It was rather fashionable at the time, from the mightiest of warriors to the greatest line of Ascalonian Kings.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am in a bit of a tough spot- I can never get into beast races- which is why I have not made a Charr.

Their lands are my favorite in the game though- I love the contrast of the landscape and the architecture.
I admire their resilience and I like their gruff humor.
I even like their fledgling culture and I understand why it is the way it is.

I really really do not like how this proud race hunches- I can forgive them their clipping issues but that cower? Never.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I hate their 100b animation, they don’t jump up to do the final hit

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

Lorewise and as Character they are boring. They either talk about food or war. Even the Norn are more fleshed out. They need some dedicated Lore work and compelling characters. Rox is a start at showing that not all Charr are one dimensional. Even their map territories are boring, everywhere looks the same. The whole race just got the short end of the lore and artist stick.