Rejoice Small Guilds! Guild Mission Blog Post

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

I’m still not happy that there is no last online feature.

I’m still not happy that there will be Ascended crap.

yeah last online would be nice but its not game brakeing.

as for Ascended how much do you want to bet that most people the QQed and left because of ascended would probably already have most of what out by now if they were still playing.

Not really sure if I understood what you were trying to say.

Those people who have left due to Ascended would only still be playing if there wasn’t Ascended stuff, so hence they are not here.

if your not willing to play the game and get gear you probably were not going to stick around that long anyway, nothing lost so much more gained.

By that response I’m guessing your a former (or current) WoW player who thinks that Getting newest tier gear = Playing the game.

Allow me to enlighten you and lift that rock from above your head that you appear to have been living under for far too long.

Vertical gear progression does not = Better game.

Having worthwhile content that is not gear-dependent is the sign of a good game, a game that, for the most part, GW2 was. But now they are adding more VP for all of the masochistic immigrants from other MMOs, just to give them something to do and shut them up, at the same time alienating the people who came to GW2 to get away from all of that.

But as long as you are happy, right…?

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

I don’t think you truly understand what makes a guild a guild.…

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what a guild is. Guild content, however, is designed to be about challenges that can only be overcome by working with other people. The new mission type is not intended to change that by circumventing the content that’s already in place. All it does it make it more accessible.

No Offense man, but 99% of the people in this game could pretty much care less about guild content, they want END GAME Content, this game has NONE. Thats why you are losing players!

Lol what do you think guild content is? Also fractals?

Fractals is a joke, it’s not End Game content, let’s hope not, I’m lvl 49 and I hate it, the higher you go the worse the rewards get, the mobs get tougher, and the repair bills get bigger. No one runs fractals hardly ever anymore, especially at high levels, and guild content isn’t End Game content, takes minutes to complete missions.
I got an Idea for you ANET, when it comes to End Game content, Steal! Cause you are clueless.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

(edited by Rama.6439)

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I don’t think you truly understand what makes a guild a guild.…

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what a guild is. Guild content, however, is designed to be about challenges that can only be overcome by working with other people. The new mission type is not intended to change that by circumventing the content that’s already in place. All it does it make it more accessible.

No Offense man, but 99% of the people in this game could pretty much care less about guild content, they want END GAME Content, this game has NONE. Thats why you are losing players!

Lol what do you think guild content is? Also fractals?

Fractals is a joke, it’s not End Game content, let’s hope not, I’m lvl 49 and I hate it, the higher you go the worse the rewards get, the mobs get tougher, and the repair bills get bigger. No one runs fractals hardly ever anymore, especially at high levels, and guild content isn’t End Game content, takes minutes to complete missions.

Actually, Fractals is by far the most popular dungeon and hundreds of people are running or waiting to run it right this second (check out gw2lfg).

Most people who play Fractals do one of two things. Either they hit their prefered daily marker (10, 20, 30) and from then on run it casually or they continue to progress for the challenge of it. Either way, it’s definitely endgame content.

Likewise, Guild Missions are also endgame content. It’s content designed for large groups of people who are used to working together. The encounters are designed for groups of level 80s, which, shockingly enough, makes it endgame content.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Likewise, Guild Missions are also endgame content. It’s content designed for large groups of people who are used to working together. The encounters are designed for groups of level 80s, which, shockingly enough, makes it endgame content.

So, in essence, Raids. Instead of being all innovative with the nomenclature, they should have just called it that. It would have prevented a lot of confusion and disappointment. And then they should have made Guild Missions (as described elsewhere) for the rest of us.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

OK, but what about the rest of the missions? They need merits and are incredibly difficult to earn the way the time limit is set up on the bounties. To be honest the rewards are second. You clearly have decent content and we want to play it, but after the bounties, we have and probably will never access to those. 250 merits for the puzzles is simply unattainable for small guilds like us, yet we really, really want to see them, play them and enjoy them – they after all sound like great fun.

Here’s one suggestion – take the tier 1 of bounties down to 1 target not 2. That’s challenging, but doable for a small guild on a weekly basis. It’ll take a while to get the merits, but the possibilty exists.

It is perfectly possible to run tier 1 guild bounties with a dedicated group of 5 people. I tried it and we were successful. Granted, you can be unlucky with some bounties, but our rate so far is like two thirds success, one third failure. Now, with the training mission, influence for crafting the bounties is no problem any more. So you may need longer than big guilds but you will get there eventually.

For guilds with less than 5 members: Yes, you are screwed. Guild Wars 2 is not the game for you anymore. The world is about to end. No content left. You should quit. But no! There is hope: may be your social abilities empower you to get a fifth member. You should be trained enough to do so by your experience with looking for a fifth member for a dungeon group…

I do understand what you are saying, but this has been answered in the thread already;
We aren’t less than 5, yet finding 2 targets and killing them is still too much in 15mins. This has been echoed by a large amount of small guilds. If it was just us, then this wouldn’t be an issue I’d be posting about. Also recruiting is nigh on impossible as has been stated. Our few takers jumped to a a larger guild for the quick benefits shortly after. We’d happily co-operate with other guilds, but there’s no channel to do this – no guild leader channel, no alliances. So pretty much a non-starter.

It’s certainly not a game breaker like you suggest (not sure why you thought I believed it was)- the game is excellent and I personally have had no issues with anything else in game. They asked for constructive feedback, it has been given – we just want the devs to things from our p.o.v.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well, I have to disagree there Zudet. Small guilds HAVE to focus a lot more on working together just to exist. That statement just doesn’t make sense.

ALso, if you do the missions with 5 – that’s great – but how did you unlock the later mission types so quickly with 5 people? Or is your guild much larger than you suggest? Two targets in 15mins, incl trying to locate the mobs has so far proved unsuccessful for us. One yes, but the time limit expires before we get to the 2nd.

Also, we don’t want the same identical rewards – that has been put to rest a long time ago. We just want to enjoy the content or a lower scaled reward at worst.

You’re right I phrased that poorly. Small guilds don’t work together in large groups mostly because they don’t like large groups and want to be exclusive to people they already know. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself but it tends to lead to the problem I mentioned.

My guild is very large but we run our large organized on the weekends and small group who need the reward during the week. If I can’t join on the weekend we do 5-10 person runs. 5 is pretty difficult. When we have completed it we get 2 easier bounties and usually send 1 person to get a jump start on searching while the other 4 go to the other site. If you can get 10 people it becomes almost trivial.

And you ARE getting the content with a lower reward now. You get guild bounties and an influence reward instead of the full reward. But people aren’t happy with that. they want the full rewards and say the content it “useless” without it.

it is literally useless because it can’t be used to unlock any of the other guild mission content

Yes it can. The whole original argument was centered around the fact that small guilds couldn’t earn the influence to unlock the missions. Therefore they added a system to help small guilds gain large amounts of influence quickly. Now they can research the missions just like large guilds.

Training bounties → influence gain
Normal Bounties→ Costs only influence, awards guild merits

Then you can run normal bounties until you have the merits to progress further. Even if you can only complete T1 bounties it still only takes 2 weeks to get the merits needed for the next mission type.

But as I said in my original post, we are dealing with very strongly self entitled small guilds here. They will continue to move the goal post until large guilds are penalized and small guilds have 100 comms deposited in their inventory just for logging in. I just hope the devs can outlast them.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I hope Anthony Ordon still reads this thread.

Please read the following post by a player named Matipzieu Kya, from the day after the February content update:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Missions-merged/page/14#post1522077

He/she identifies two main problems:

Problem One: This Mechanic Has Created Unfair-Feeling “Classes” of Guilds

Problem 2: Can small guilds even meaningfully DO the content?

Unfortunately, the Training Bounties do nothing to address the second problem, because these will not give out any of the rewards given for the “real” Guild Missions, and a Tier 1 Bounty is still out of reach for a guild of 5 active players.

(And casual passers-by still have no incentive to help others in a Guild Bounty, because a little coin and a little karma sound like a bad deal if you expect the guild members to receive 50s, Guild Commendations and 2 rares.)

While the first problem is (partially) addressed through the addition of Training Bounties, the choice to not have these award any Guild Merits or Guild Commendations still leaves small guilds in the “have-not” camp for as long as the second problem persists.

(edited by Jornophelanthas.1475)

Randulf.7614

Not one small guild has asked for that Zud, in fact plenty have stated they are happy large guilds are getting just rewards. I for one would not want to see that removed, nor would we want to be handed any rewards. At the moment, it still feels like small guilds are being shut out – I really can’t see why insults to small guilds are being thrown around. We all ultimately want the same thing….the content. Small guilds have to put in an incredible amount of work to get the job done, yet rarely get a reward for it

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

• The commendations, rares, and silver are not awarded. That reward is specific to actual bounty missions.

Anet Fail… Small guilds, you are still screwed rofl. You think they wanted access to the content just to be able to do it for fun? Um no… No small guilds will run this content without getting any reward for it, they’ll go spam dragon events instead.

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

While I applaud Anet for responding to the playerbase and fixing this up for smaller guilds.. it still irks me that such a huge gap was left in the original design for guild missions, money/time/effort was spent fixing a problem that really should never have occured in the first place.

Either way, it’s great to see.

Jornophelanthas.1475

I am quoting the following from another thread (the full link is in my post above). The highlighted parts are most relevant to this discussion.

Point (5) should address ZudetGambeous’s position.

Point (6) is an issue that the Training Bounties do NOT address.

Core problems:
(1) This mechanic has created a disparity between large and small guilds.
(2) This disparity is that large guilds have better, faster, easier access to large content.
(3) The consequence of the disparity is that there is extreme pressure on small guild players to leave their small guilds and join larger guilds.
(4) The practical effect of this disparity is that it creates an unfair and unfun tension within small guild players: they must either sacrifice their friends, their guild, or their ability to enjoy content as first-class players. (Options: (1) Have the entire guild merge into a larger guild, the small guild dies and the special relationships they have are diluted in the big guild, assuming they are all folded into one and can find one that suits their taste, culture, habits, language, environment… this can be a destructive process. (2) Splinter and join large guilds separately, losing the friendships. (3) Endure as a small guild with unequal access to content.)
(5) Players in large guilds, whose incentive maximizations are already satisfied, do not have this problem. They both do not have any incentive or structural reasons to understand why small guild players are “whining”, “qqing”, etc, and do not see any reason that the current system is wrong.
(6) It is uncertain that small guilds will even be able to complete their guild missions at all under any circumstances, or if so, that they will only be able to do so under reduced circumstances, effectively meaning small guilds are barred from guild content, or that small guilds are not legitimate/acceptable under ANet policy. If this is the case, it is EXTREMELY offensive to small guild players, like myself, who believe that our guilds while small are just as legitimate as large guilds.
(7) All of the above are destructive to many guilds and communities. In effect, this patch has done harm to the community that it sought to promote friendship and playing together within. It has had the opposite effect for many players.

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

Sorry if it was already answered but couldn’t find it in the posts. Will we be able to do the training bounty mission and the “normal” bounty mission and get both rewards during the same week (guild merits/commendations and influence)?
I am in a small guild, we managed to do the bounty lvl 1 mission with 7 people and a bit of luck. Next type of mission needs 70k influence to unlock and it’s gonna take us some time so it would be nice to get the influence reward with the training mission to speed it up while still gathering the guild merits with the other bounty mission.

Posted by: Kasaeva.4691

Kasaeva.4691

• The commendations, rares, and silver are not awarded. That reward is specific to actual bounty missions.

Anet Fail… Small guilds, you are still screwed rofl. You think they wanted access to the content just to be able to do it for fun? Um no… No small guilds will run this content without getting any reward for it, they’ll go spam dragon events instead.

If your sole concern is rewards then why haven’t you joined a large guild? What’s keeping you in a small guild?
I am in a small guild because I like my guildies. They’re my friends and I love grouping up with them to attack challenges. I love playing with them. So actually, yes, my small guild did want access to the content for fun.
Also, as the dev stated, these training missions are not meant to supercede the real deal. They are solely for the purpose of aiding small guilds in gaining access to the real deal—which will give rewards.

~Kasaeva
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: roostapro.9827

roostapro.9827

For the new guild missions (the one that rewards 3k influence upon completion) I feel as though that should reward:

3000 Influence
15 Silver
xxx Karma (Considering Karma is almost a defunct Currency)
xxx Experience (less than normal event XP, but still rewards people)

This also rewards those individuals that participated in the guild Training Missions instead of just rewarding 3k influence and gone again.

though, that being my opinion, I guess you could argue that we are being rewarded with influence (But…15 silver can cover waypointing several times costs…).

Just my thought on this….a start…but still needs more work

Eredon Terrace – Voladeir Roost (Ele)|Roosta (War)|Error Occurred (Gua)|Àneskâ Necrötiâ (Nec)
RoostaGW2

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

I wonder if these incredibly small guilds (aKa. less than full parties)complain that they can’t complete a dungeon because they don’t have 5 players, and shouldn’t have to ask for help from pugs. It really is the same concept.

Guild missions are made as Group Events. A public group event. Emphasis on the public, and group. 3 people aren’t a group. 5 players are a dungeon party. Think bigger. 8 players is more like it.

My guild was able to rally a whoppin’ 8 players for our first round of T1 bounties. We successfully completed them, without cheating. We are an incredibly small guild, managing 8 players for a scheduled event. Any smaller than us, and you’re not a guild, you’re a fancy dungeon party.

And I thank you Anet on behalf of my guild. The only thing holding us back was influence. This will no longer be a problem. It has made all the difference.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Training feels like a quick fix. It’s nice that they’ve given small guilds a way to earn influence, but as others have noted it’s not the whole problem.

1- is there any hope of future true alliances made between small guilds: member size restriction, both guilds earn full rewards when participating in each others missions, alliance chat to keep in touch during missions, 1 alliance active at a time.

2 – Scale rewards on the timed missions based upon time to completion. Would it have worked to allow full rewards to guilds that can complete the missions under X minutes, 3/4 rewards to guilds that complete the mission under Y minutes, 1/2 rewards, 1/4 rewards, and finally – here’s your token silver &10influence for trying and failing.
I only mention scaling because the large guilds are pretty much guaranteed to succeed anyway. But by scaling even the middle & small guilds have a shot and if they don’t make the uber great time, they still get rewarded just not nearly as much.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

Previous

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

If Guild Missions are designed for 15+ people then why allow guilds to have less?

• There’s lots of things that guilds do other than guild missions.
  • You can be one person, but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re going to have to work with other people.

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

If Guild Missions are designed for 15+ people then why allow guilds to have less?

• You can be one person, but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re going to have to work with other people.

It would make much more sense if outsiders that help with a guild mission would earn commendations too!

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: Kasaeva.4691

Kasaeva.4691

I wonder if these incredibly small guilds (aKa. less than full parties)complain that they can’t complete a dungeon because they don’t have 5 players, and shouldn’t have to ask for help from pugs. It really is the same concept.

Guild missions are made as Group Events. A public group event. Emphasis on the public, and group. 3 people aren’t a group. 5 players are a dungeon party. Think bigger. 8 players is more like it.

My guild was able to rally a whoppin’ 8 players for our first round of T1 bounties. We successfully completed them, without cheating. We are an incredibly small guild, managing 8 players for a scheduled event. Any smaller than us, and you’re not a guild, you’re a fancy dungeon party.

And I thank you Anet on behalf of my guild. The only thing holding us back was influence. This will no longer be a problem. It has made all the difference.

Had Anet made a statement to the effects of “X number of players constitutes a guild by our definition.” Or “Guild Missions are intended for x number of players and up.” I would agree with your argument. When you go to enter a dungeon it says right on the popup that it’s for 5 players. As far as I am aware, Anet has said nothing to that effect and there is no recommended number on Guild Missions anywhere else.

Also, I’d like to know who died and left you to decide how many constitute a guild or a group. In real life, people tend to refer to any more than 2 as a group, meaning 3 could very well constitute a group. Also, Destiny’s Edge is only 5 and is referred to multiple times as a guild. Even if you count Snaff, it’s only 6 which is less than your count.

That said, I do believe this addition is a solid step towards opening guild missions up to smaller guilds.

~Kasaeva
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

@ Jornophelanthas.1475
I am sure they did but from the looks of it he not posting on these forms any more just mostly one big post and then he ran away.
But truly he has only seem to played GW2 and dose not realize that most mmorpgs are far worst at putting contented behind some type of wall and needed numbers. If any thing this is the best at making it available for every one to run and try out. This update is prof that Anet is willing to work with smaller numbers what what may seem to other to make up a guild.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think the issue here is a simple one.

This entire game, with the exception of WvW, is made for 5 man teams. Small guilds. What was missing, what has always been missing, is stuff for larger guilds to do.

Our guild has dungeon runs, 7 guys want to participate and two are always left out. Until now we’ve had to make our own guild events, which is great for some people but for other guilds, it’s not that easy. And it takes more work and creativity to keep thinking of stuff for the guild to do as a whole.

I mean we could run Orr together, but we can’t even be in the same party.

This stuff was created to fill a void. Small guilds have tons of stuff to do. Big guilds, not so much. Particularly if you’re not a PvP guild.

Randulf.7614

Then give us a way guilds can communicate and team up easier in game. If your whole argument hinges around this and you guys still aren’t understanding why we are feeding back the other issue, then surely having a better infrastructure should be discussed? As I said, getting guilds to work together is noble, but the only current way is standing around LA spamming chat.

Posted by: Xynn.2748

Xynn.2748

That’s really nice of you guys to address a broad player base.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Then give us a way guilds can communicate and team up easier in game. If your whole argument hinges around this and you guys still aren’t understanding why we are feeding back the other issue, then surely having a better infrastructure should be discussed? As I said, getting guilds to work together is noble, but the only current way is standing around LA spamming chat.

This I agree with. Anet should definitely bring back alliances like they had in Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: dennie.9237

dennie.9237

It would make much more sense if outsiders that help with a guild mission would earn commendations too!

Totally agree!

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

With no personal reward? I’m not going to get anyone to show up for that. I’m asking people to go through the exact same amount of work as they’d go through for a full bounty (more, in fact), except for zero reward.

(and related to other similar posts)

Above is part I cannot understand: if there are no individual rewards, no one will participate — somehow I think that’s the guild of people which should not exists in the first place…

I’m in (IMHO) small(ish)/medium sized guild so we can do T1, sometimes T2 (depending of people online) and even have a shot on T3 … why I’m/we are doing them? Because they are fun! Not for 50s / rare / whatever, that’s nice to have but even without that I’ll be participating because it is fun.

Now with T0 there is yet another fun thing to do and that’s great

Yeah it will be nice for ArenaNet to drop everything free into our lap and that we don’t have to work for anything, but (IMHO buying legendary is wrong too) … I won’t be part of the game like that.

Main difference, and one of the many reasons I’m here and not in some other MMO, is that I can play the game my way and still not be gated from the content I want to do because I don’t think that grinding one thing over and over again to get the item and then just start same thing again for another one…

EU / Aurora Glade

Jornophelanthas.1475

As a mechanism to help small guilds meet the Influence threshold to unlock the other guild mission content, Training Bounties will absolutely work. All you need is about 5 members who are dedicated to developing the guild further.

However, Training Bounties do NOT help small guilds in their ability to actually complete “real” Guild Bounties (and earn Guild Merits and Guild Commendations) with a relatively small number of members.

There could be a workaround, however. My small guild of 3 active players (who are real life friends) is considering unlocking Guild Bounties, and to fill out our numbers temporarily by recruiting players who are primarily interested in the rewards. These players would be temporary members for the duration of the mission only.
(Granted, an alliance system with several small guilds banding together would be far more elegant and potentially better organized.)

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

That would be fine and dandy if there was an incentive for people to actually do that.

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Have you guys tried asking players on the map to join in your guild missions? I’m sure the world isn’t all selfish and unwilling to help xD. That’s why people tell in map chat that there’s an event going on at X location, and then players come flocking to it. I don’t see why a guild mission would be any different with its event rewards.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Any chance to see something like the WvWvW buff , (when u have few ppl on ur side ) apply on small guilds ( 3-50 ppl) ?
Chance for loot , fewer travel cost , more influence etc , more gold from gems ?

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Randulf.7614

Yeah Ken. Just did another bounty, but never found either target. Tried map chat, no response in one map. Other map we eneded up teaming with 2 other guilds..still couldn’t find the bounty.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

72 hour build time for a consumable event? Urgh… I can’t even finish building all the bonuses to pop on weekends in time to keep the players we currently have representing.

You might say, “Well, if you have the influence to build all the bonuses, you don’t need guild bounty training.” but we don’t earn 30k influence a week without player donations and having bonus weekends… Still don’t have trek/rush unlocked because of the dumb long build times (that we can’t afford to speed up) and the exorbitant costs.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: EeZeE.8261

EeZeE.8261

So you have helped out small-guilds who simply couldn’t GAIN or BUY the influence. What makes you think these guild can then DO the guild missions as they currently stand? That’s the problem you are missing here.

Haven’t missed it. I’m fully aware of this perspective, however, we have always said that these guilds who are extremely limited in number will have to work together to attain these goals. That’s what this content is about. That’s WHAT these rewards are about.

I’m very curious about what your criteria is for “extremely limited in number”.

I would think there’d be many small guilds on one end and a few very big ones on the other end, on each server.

On a side note, 20 pure casual guilds still don’t stand a chance of completing the Bounty Hunt, as without proper research you’d need a lot of luck to a. be on the right map where your boss spawns, b. randomly run into the boss you’re looking for and c. run into a boss which requires little in the way of tactics to defeat. And of course, all that times 2, as you’d need to defeat 2 bosses.
I think you put the bar too high for what is and what isn’t casual.

Gabriel Ironfist
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I can’t remember if someone asked this but:

If you are in a guild and do the bounty and get credit you get comm’s and the guild gets merits. What happens if you do another bounty in another guild, you get more comm’s and that guild gets merits too?

Sorry, I didn’t want to start a new thread for the ? heh

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

I am disappointed with this update.

If a small guild can earn enough influence to get to Art of War 3, then 2,700 influence every 3 days (72 hour build time) doesn’t do much to help. Without the new currencies or any decent rewards from the boss itself there isn’t any reason to do these “training missions”.

I just wish they hadn’t tied ascended gear to this in any way. Adding more currencies, more daily/weekly/raids/etc. just smells like the games I came here to avoid. Then making it accessible only to the “hardcore” and massive guilds is a bit of a kick in the newts to the rest of us.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

If a small guild can earn enough influence to get to Art of War 3, then 2,700 influence every 3 days (72 hour build time) doesn’t do much to help. Without the new currencies or any decent rewards from the boss itself there isn’t any reason to do these “training missions”.

I just wish they hadn’t tied ascended gear to this in any way. Adding more currencies, more daily/weekly/raids/etc. just smells like the games I came here to avoid. Then making it accessible only to the “hardcore” and massive guilds is a bit of a kick in the newts to the rest of us.

Hey, they already told us…you can join forces and help other guilds! You won’t get any frigging reward for it, but at least it’s fun….. or they think so….

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This stuff was created to fill a void. Small guilds have tons of stuff to do. Big guilds, not so much. Particularly if you’re not a PvP guild.

Yes but then they gated unique rewards behind it and made the other method of getting those rewards unreasonably hard.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

Yeah one of these things is that you can do bounties for every guild you are in and get the stupid tokens. Good going there.

Hey, they already told us…you can join forces and help other guilds! You won’t get any frigging reward for it, but at least it’s fun….. or they think so….

Fun until the next patch, then I’ll consider if you can have my gold.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

hah, more game less large-guild drama, pulease! My server has just been turning into mega guilds with required representations for all your characters. Yet if you look at classic mmo’s, the guilds that have lasted the longest to even today are small’ish guilds.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

You know, this might make for a great episode of The Guild, considering they have only six members. What would they do if The Game introduced content like this? Felicia Day, are you out there?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

You know, this might make for a great episode of The Guild, considering they have only six members. What would they do if The Game introduced content like this? Felicia Day, are you out there?

lol yea…merge with some giant mega-guild…lose all sense of self…drama ensues…and they all realize that it’s just not fun.

The mistake you made here, ArenaNet, is you tied this new guild content to tier gear. If you hadn’t, I think the complaints would be far fewer.

Wake up. Read my lips. No new Ascended Gear.

It’s jacked your game into something you didn’t intend, and your players hate it.

kenshinakh.3672

lol yea…merge with some giant mega-guild…lose all sense of self…drama ensues…and they all realize that it’s just not fun.

The mistake you made here, ArenaNet, is you tied this new guild content to tier gear. If you hadn’t, I think the complaints would be far fewer.

It’s jacked your game into something you didn’t intend, and your players hate it.

All this time people were asking for more ways to get ascended. It’s a tier of endgame content, so it makes sense to let guild stuff reward you ascended parts.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

All this time people were asking for more ways to get ascended. It’s a tier of endgame content, so it makes sense to let guild stuff reward you ascended parts.

I think they wanted multiple ways to get the same piece – not a different way to get each piece.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

The problem was never the content. The problem was the rewards barred off by completion of said content.

I have a small guild of 3. 3 people I would trust with being guild leader position itself. Anet left a bad taste and a trust issue from Guild Wars 1 where they handed guild leader position to the lowest ranking member due to inactivity. Then lost the prestigious guild as a low ranking member obtained guild leader and kicked every one out who worked hard on the guild. Anet responding with “sorry, can’t help you.” Just leads me to steer clear of large guilds.

Yet expect people to form large guilds to obtain rewards barred behind content. No thanks.

kenshinakh.3672

I think they wanted multiple ways to get the same piece – not a different way to get each piece.

Adding more ways to get ascended seems to be the trend with the recent patches. There’s now 3 ways to get ascended rings (well, 4 if you want to count FotM daily), and 2 ways to get ascended amulets. Since Ascended amulets are new, it wouldn’t make sense to make them immediately obtainable from past methods such as FoTM, so these things usually take a patch or two before they’re obtainable through other means.

Anyways, this thread is about the new guild mission hunts, and Anet is clearly showing that they’re considering small guilds with this. Maybe they’ll make more smaller guild missions for even smaller guilds like those of 5 man. Either way, this content addition is welcomed, and I don’t see how it can negatively impact anyone. It might not be “small” enough for those really small guilds, but at least it shows that small guilds are being considered.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

You can get the same ascended gear from getting dailys and monthly done. Yes it takes longer but what do you expect when trying to do everything on your own. If one thing is clear its that this game dose everything to try and reward you for working to gather, even the small stuff like big chunks of exp for ressing others.

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I acknowledge your point and I see its validity, but up until now all guilds could complete all tasks regardless of size. Even just one person. Yes a one-man guild could literally achieve all points and every aspect within a guild on his/her own. It was only a question of time played as to when you would have access to the content.

This is the first piece of guild-related content that has been released where small guilds, regardless of time invested, absolutely must rely on outside help.

You must not resort to the arguement that there are other things available to guilds. Of course there are. They’ve been there since day one. People want new content. You can’t develop new content for people who play one way and then turn around to the rest of the players and say, “just let it go and do the other stuff you’ve been doing.” That furthers the feeling of a smaller guild’s neglect and possible irrelevance.

I’m a member of a large guild, a small guild, and a two-man guild of just myself and my brother. I can see the restraints put on missions are there for a reason but I also see the stress it puts on smaller guilds. It is undue for small guilds, but unfortunately necessary for the guild system overall.

All that being said, the new Bounty Hunt Training addition is the perfect way to combat that feeling. Larger guilds can definitely complete these missions as well, but the 3,000 influence is probably not worth the time invested. All of those people could have been out completing events and earning far more.

In my extremely limited opinion, these “Training” missions should be adapted to all mission modes. That would give them an excercize to practice with instead of trying out a costly mission only to be trounced immediately by something they don’t quite understand. It also gives the smaller guilds the ability to experience something that is either a long way off or a near impossibility otherwise.

Edit:
And while you’re at it, you should probably tie a weekly +1 Commendation reward to the “Training” missions that takes the spot of the Non-training missions’ weekly. That way larger guilds can’t exploit the system and get +3 Commendations per mission, but smaller guilds can still earn things they wouldn’t otherwise have access to.

(edited by Redscope.6215)

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Well, this doesn’t do me much good.

Out of the twenty members of my guild I’m lucky if six bother to log in a given day at this point, and half of those only rep other guilds anymore.

I could try recruiting but lets compare what I have to offer.

I have…guild storage and guild vendors? I can’t run guild buffs and just barely started the AoW tree.

Or they can go for a big guild and get everything ever right from the start just for accepting the guild invite and jump right into guild missions.

I wonder which one most players will pick…

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I’ve quoted these two comments but there are far more like them. The reason Anet is creating a complex and time-consuming system for ascended gear is because people had essentially “beat” their game (aquired all facets of advancement) outside of sPvP within the first couple of weeks. This is the pendulum swinging far to the other side of the mid-point as a reactionary means to combat the content-devouring masses.

In other words, they’ve realized that their game goes fast and they’re putting on the breaks. Lets just hope they’re anti-lock or we’ll start skidding and possibly collide with something unintentionally.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

One player makes not a guild. Your just a dude with a guild tag. You fild out all the paperwork now time to start recruiting

I have a guild of 8, they’re just never seen in the same place at the same time, like Clark Kent. They pool their resources and have earned a guild bank and armorer, but as it stands any sort of participation in Guild Missions seems unlikely. I’m fine with that though, so long as I still have access to the 50s, two rares, and commendations that larger guild members have access to.

I see a lot of people here whining “there is no personal reward, no one in my guild will join!” Holy hells. Do you really need a shiny trinket dangling every. single. step. of the way to motivate your guildies? No one ever understands long-term planning or working together towards something? You don’t know how to make it fun?

Good point. Remove all the personal rewards that the existing Guild Missions have, the cash, the rares, the commendation vendors, and we can call it a day. So long as they balance it, they can buff the light side or nerf the heavy side, it doesn’t really matter.

I think the issue here is a simple one.

This entire game, with the exception of WvW, is made for 5 man teams. Small guilds. What was missing, what has always been missing, is stuff for larger guilds to do.

Our guild has dungeon runs, 7 guys want to participate and two are always left out. Until now we’ve had to make our own guild events, which is great for some people but for other guilds, it’s not that easy. And it takes more work and creativity to keep thinking of stuff for the guild to do as a whole.

I mean we could run Orr together, but we can’t even be in the same party.

I agree that it’s nice for things for large guilds to do, the problem is how exclusionary it is. If these Guild Missions were open to all comers, then they would be something for large guilds to do AND they would be somethign everyone else can participate in. There should be ZERO activities in the game that ONLY large guilds can participate in. Oh, there can be activities that require a large amount of players, but these players should never have to all be part of a single guild. They might be 2-3 medium guilds, or a half-dozen smaller guilds, or even a single small guild and a ton of people who’ve never met prior to the event.

Having lots of people involved should not mean that they should have to be part of a large guild, any more than putting five people together to run a dungeon means that they have to be members of the same guild.

Have you guys tried asking players on the map to join in your guild missions?

Why would they? They wouldn’t get 50s, they wouldn’t get two rares, they wouldn’t get any commendations, they’d only get standard event credit, it wouldn’t even be worth the travel costs unless they happened to be right on top of the event when it started.

If they want non-guildies to participate then they need to provide equal rewards.

That’s why people tell in map chat that there’s an event going on at X location, and then players come flocking to it. I don’t see why a guild mission would be any different with its event rewards.

The only events people “flock” to are those that are worth the effort, namely those that offer full chests, and usually are part of a chain, meaning multiple doses of event rewards. Try picking a random “vanilla” event and drum up a party over map-chat, like trying to take out the Champ Troll in Sparkfly. Good luck.

If guild missions gave full rewards to all participants, people would flock to help. So long as they only give vanilla event credit, you’d have to personally bribe each of them.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”