Remove the 15k daily AP limit please!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i agree with this, if i hit 15k limit and this is not changed I WILL QUIT, there will be literally NO REASON to continue playing if i cant get any more AP

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

The limit makes no sense. It’s been said many times that the amount of AP does not matter so suddenly it’s important for new players to catch up? To catch up to what?

If AP is merely an indicator of how much of your life you wasted on this game then let the counter go up as much as it can.

Then again, this whole AP system was grafted on in a kitten way so we shouldn’t expect it to make sense.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

if the reason for a limit has anything to do with fairness then it needs to be expanded by the amount of historical achievements you can no longer get and the historical achievement points need to be stacked on top of daily

otherwise just remove the cap, it wouldnt hurt anybody

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Remove AP cap and retire the leaderboards. That would be the best way to handle it.

I’d be happy if they ended the leaderboards — that always seemed misplaced (to me) in a game that ANet promotes as non-competitive. That alone would address several of the reasons ANet instituted the cap.

However, what if ANet doesn’t want people to gain 3,650 points per year from dailies? What if they are happy with the leaderboards in PvE (since each adventure has one)? I’d like to hear what they think achievement points are designed to achieve for the game and its community & how the current mechanics help reach those goals.

PS I’ll add my own disclaimer: I am not close to hitting the cap and I don’t really care where I am on the leaderboard, except that it’s an interesting proxy for who has been around since launch and been efficient in earning AP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

It can stay, but for the love of all that is holy, REDUCE THE AP THRESHOLD FOR THE BACKPIECES!!

:)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As I said in the other similar thread to this one, making Historical and Retired achievements available again, or allowing players to get new achievements to replace those, is far more important that increasing (or removing) the daily cap.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Remove AP cap and retire the leaderboards. That would be the best way to handle it.

+1 Clean and simple.

Agreed. The AP cap doesn’t serve a purpose for the population at large. And leader boards for… AP? What kind of .01%er bullkitten is that?
It only serves those with obsessive longevity and won’t ever be shaken up by game changes in the way PvP/WvW metas shift or new raids opening. The lack of any kind of reset on AP leader boards makes them worthless to anyone but the ~1000 people on the list. ..woo.

At this point, they exist by momentum, because it’d be “work” to remove them. If they’re going to “work” at something, maybe crib some notes off of Diablo 3’s season achievements. In GW2 terms, it’d be a monthly/quarterly list of achievements that become a separate source of AP and have its own leader board.
A periodic reset would make the AP game actually competitive for all players (even if I have no specific interest in it :P) and give AP hunters something to actually do while making their numbers go up.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Something they could do is increase the Daily Cap by as many APs as those you are missing from Historical and Retired achievements. So if you are missing 5k historical achievements (new player) your daily cap would be 20k, not 15k. In that way you can compensate for not being there when some content was released by doing extra daily achievements.

Although for me the best way to deal with the Daily Achievements is to make them infinite and add some form of decay.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

I like there is a cap let me not feel bad when I skip my daily

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

i agree with this, if i hit 15k limit and this is not changed I WILL QUIT, there will be literally NO REASON to continue playing if i cant get any more AP

And this is the other side of it. There will be some players that just stop playing when they can’t get more APs from dailies.
Since no new player can catch up to veterans (that still keep playing, and actually did the achievements for the removed content), theres no point in having the cap. And finishing the three dailies can take less than 5 minutes.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

+1 Clean and simple.

this pretty much

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

This, I really don’t see why there’s a “leaderboard” for PVE anyway.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Please never remove the daily AP limit. It is an important milestone for an account and serves as an upper threshold so that new players have something attainable with immense effort so that they can compete with other older veterans on the AP leaderboard.

See, you just proved one of my points, you can NEVER compete, because they have APs from events long retired that you can never get.

Which goes to show the pointlessness of the leaderboards.

- Vet w/high AP.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

This, I really don’t see why there’s a “leaderboard” for PVE anyway.

I don’t see a point for one for fractals, but we have people clamoring for it anyway.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

-1 I really enjoy the AP leaderboards. They keep me going every day and make me do every single precursor collection at the moment.

If anything the daily/monthly AP should be deleted. They are not remotely close to being an achievement anymore. Back in the day before the cap it took 4 hours on average to do them all.
Nowadays you spend 5min a day on a skyhammer pvp server and get free 10 AP for suiciding in mid.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

And this is the other side of it. There will be some players that just stop playing when they can’t get more APs from dailies.
Since no new player can catch up to veterans (that still keep playing, and actually did the achievements for the removed content), theres no point in having the cap. And finishing the three dailies can take less than 5 minutes.

It does. It prevents the gap from getting larger. At the moment, the only gap is from achievements that are no longer available. As these veteran players stop playing, existing players will move up as they complete new, permanent achievements. If the cap were removed then new players starting out a year from now would be 3,660 AP further from active veteran players on top of the missed historical AP.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

However, what if ANet doesn’t want people to gain 3,650 points per year from dailies? What if they are happy with the leaderboards in PvE (since each adventure has one)? I’d like to hear what they think achievement points are designed to achieve for the game and its community & how the current mechanics help reach those goals.

I can’t answer for ANet, but since they aren’t going to answer, I’ll hazard a guess.

Ever since the initial dungeon armor rush, players have taught ANet to dread the words, “I’ve done everything. What do I do, now?” Consider this. How many of the non-trivial reward systems in the game at launch required a significant amount of time/effort/gold to acquire? How many non-trivial reward systems that have been added since require a lot of time/effort/gold?

The AP chests, in particular the armor sets, are a reward. Setting the daily AP cap at 15K slows down the players who are trying for the full sets. ANet has been trying to keep players around since November of 2012.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Also, lets remove the limit on jumping puzzles. I should get AP every time I complete a jumping puzzle, not just the first time. Also, the salvage AP. I should get that every time I salvage 200 items.

DarcShriek.5829

Why should anyone care if you quit over this?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

-1 I really enjoy the AP leaderboards. They keep me going every day and make me do every single precursor collection at the moment.

If anything the daily/monthly AP should be deleted. They are not remotely close to being an achievement anymore. Back in the day before the cap it took 4 hours on average to do them all.
Nowadays you spend 5min a day on a skyhammer pvp server and get free 10 AP for suiciding in mid.

If leaderboards were gone it wouldn’t be an issue, and many, like myself many will have nothing to PvP. Leaderboards are likely at the very bottom of why people come back to play the game.
How about make it option? if you choose to have the 15,000 uncapped, you don’t participate in the leaderboards. Now both sides can have their cake and eat it too.
But I’ll stick with the best option, uncap AP, eliminate the boards.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Malediktus.9250

No, even if you would be removed from leaderboard I would be against it. It would devalue the achievement rewards, especially pinacle weapon skins which have more prestige than legendaries at the moment.

Rauderi.8706

Something they could do is increase the Daily Cap by as many APs as those you are missing from Historical and Retired achievements. So if you are missing 5k historical achievements (new player) your daily cap would be 20k, not 15k. In that way you can compensate for not being there when some content was released by doing extra daily achievements.

Although for me the best way to deal with the Daily Achievements is to make them infinite and add some form of decay.

Classy idea. I like it!

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Malediktus.9250

Classy idea. I like it!

I dislike it. Some historical achievements were tons of effort and dailies would be much easier to get. And no I dont have all historical achievements (missing 20 AP there).

I find it disgusting that entitled players are trying to ruin every last part of the game.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Also, lets remove the limit on jumping puzzles. I should get AP every time I complete a jumping puzzle, not just the first time. Also, the salvage AP. I should get that every time I salvage 200 items.

Anyone who voluntarily does a jumping puzzle deserves what is coming at him, in one way or the other.
And yes, you should not have an AP for salvaging. It simply does not make sense to cap it, either remove it or remove the cap altogether. If someone is willing to risk his health for clicking on countless items to salvage them, why not? I simply fail to understand how this affects you. If you quit GW2 right now, nobody will remember that you were Nr. 1 for X years in six months, you can trust me on that. Only a hall of fame which is constantly upgraded but shows your old efforts too could change that.

Is there really a market for elitism and envoy/anger/some other bias for people looking for easy stuff complaining everywhere, from A as AP up to Z as Zhaitan is a cakewalk?
I just hope you people never come close to a soup kitchen or something like that with that attitude. You would be surprised how many people look for the easy way of asking for food and a place to stay in a cold night instead of manning up by sleeping in the cold.

Rauderi.8706

Classy idea. I like it!

I dislike it. Some historical achievements were tons of effort and dailies would be much easier to get. And no I dont have all historical achievements (missing 20 AP there).

I dunno. It’d be better for the playerbase to even the field by ditching any AP gained from achievements that can’t be accessed anymore. Which would including re-locking gains (skins, titles) from chests as the AP is re-balanced.
That way, only the persistent AP exists and everyone can actually compete in the leader boards that no one cares about.

Many alts; handle it!

Malediktus.9250

Or simply live with the fact that you missed something. The historical AP are the main reason the top 25 does not have exactly the same AP, the other reason are expensive achievements like precursor collections and black lion collections. There are no skill based achievements in this game that you cannot get in a short time of practicing. This includes the raid achievements.

Rauderi.8706

Or simply live with the fact that you missed something. The historical AP are the main reason the top 25 does not have exactly the same AP, the other reason are expensive achievements like precursor collections and black lion collections. There are no skill based achievements in this game that you cannot get in a short time of practicing. This includes the raid achievements.

Then simply life with the fact that daily AP exists. It isn’t going to threaten the irrelevance of the leader boards, with or without a cap.

I’m cool with not getting AP rewards for past events. The requirements were fairly reasonable for the first two years or so. I merely didn’t do them. Oh darn, but that was more or less my choice.

With or without the cap, it’s nice to have daily AP to nudge toward a big box in a little under two months. If anything, the persistent AP contributions need to be nudged higher, so that particularly difficult tasks are actually rewarded properly. If 5 or 10AP is a daily, then a player’s first legendary should actually be worth what? It takes a month or two of effort, so.. 150AP? 250AP? Sure as kitten not 25.

I also wouldn’t have been particularly bitter if daily AP was set to 5, as that was all I did out of the old set anyway. It was set to 10AP because some people tried to do all of them for the AP reward, and ANet determined it wasn’t good for experiencing the rest of the game. Now I hit up PvP for track rewards and whatever easy PvE ones there happen to be (Vista, gathering) and drops-in-the-ocean Spirit Shards. I don’t feel particularly “achievey” for those 10 points, and could easily accept 5. Or 3, whatevs.

Many alts; handle it!

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

DarcShriek.5829

Anyone who voluntarily does a jumping puzzle deserves what is coming at him, in one way or the other.
And yes, you should not have an AP for salvaging. It simply does not make sense to cap it, either remove it or remove the cap altogether. If someone is willing to risk his health for clicking on countless items to salvage them, why not? I simply fail to understand how this affects you. If you quit GW2 right now, nobody will remember that you were Nr. 1 for X years in six months, you can trust me on that. Only a hall of fame which is constantly upgraded but shows your old efforts too could change that.

Is there really a market for elitism and envoy/anger/some other bias for people looking for easy stuff complaining everywhere, from A as AP up to Z as Zhaitan is a cakewalk?
I just hope you people never come close to a soup kitchen or something like that with that attitude. You would be surprised how many people look for the easy way of asking for food and a place to stay in a cold night instead of manning up by sleeping in the cold.

What are you talking about?

Blude.6812

Or simply live with the fact that you missed something. The historical AP are the main reason the top 25 does not have exactly the same AP, the other reason are expensive achievements like precursor collections and black lion collections. There are no skill based achievements in this game that your cannot get in a short time of practicing. This includes the raid achievements.

Again many don’t get involved with raids (or WvW, or PvP).
I guess it doesn’t matter what others may want or suggest, you will be anti anything that suggests removal, changing,fixing or updating the AP to be more relevant to the game as it now exists. So far none of your reasoning has changed my opinion. They all seem to come down to others have done it and so should you, but I respect your opinion and you right to voice it. It’s something that needs to be changed regardless. Hopefully you can accept others opinions as well.

Malediktus.9250

Exactly I will be anti anything regarding this. The AP system is fine the way it is except a few achievements which give too few or too many AP for the required effort.

Blude.6812

Exactly I will be anti anything regarding this. The AP system is fine the way it is except a few achievements which give too few or too many AP for the required effort.

Elitism just isn’t a good reason.
No worries, the change will come eventually.

Rauderi.8706

Elitism just isn’t a good reason.
No worries, the change will come eventually.

Maybe? I suspect the cap may be re-examined, as it’s a very easy tweak. Change one variable, pretty much. (MaxDailyAP=20000; or something to that effect.)

An actual overhaul to the system is less likely. Then again ANet has a rather extended history of backtracking on things they did prior in order to fix what should have been done right the first time. >.>

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

The things I would do withe the whole system:

1) Remove the AP Leaderboards, they are completely pointless as they bring you absolutely nothing, other than giving people some kind of artificial competition, that is only a competition for like the top 100 players, everyone else will never catcch up, especialyl not any new players at all, when the veterans have already over 3 years of playtime in advance and like 25-30k points more.
Until a new player will ever reach so much points, liek the highest veteran players, will have the old veteran players again much more AP until this point due to Anet constantly releasing new AP content over time and to keep up leaderboards permanently for like 100 peoples epen-stroking is absolutely senseless and the resources behind of those leaderboards are better spent for something else, where leaderboards make more sense due to having more constant overall competion all the time for everybody, like WvW Tournaments, like PvP League, like Adventures, like Minigames (cough, bring back Polymock as a kind of collectable Card Game with that you can make then Card Tournaments with Leaderboards)

Stuff like that makes more sense for leaderboards, but for AP collection, when you can never be at all a competion as a new player and the leaderboards being able to show you maximum only the top 1000 ranks – nah, waste of ressources to me.

2) Completely rework the AP System in regard of Holiday Events, these AP from Holiday Events shouldnt be every year new Meta Achievements that you need to do again and again by doign exactly the same stuff again like x years before ago.
Holiday Achievements should simply always be the same Meta achievements, which you need to do only once and where players have every year again the chance to complete them all.
If Anet simply wants to add new Achievements to the Holiday Events later on, they can add them simply, but just don’t let then count to the meta holiday achievement, if that has been already completed

3) Rework the UI of the achievements, the Achievement list if old stuff is already so long, that you have to scroll down alot to see them all. The achievement ui could really need more REORGANIZATION, especialy some not really anymore needed old sections, like the Boss Segment if Anet would give the game its complete own Boss achievement Category where all Bosses with their very own Meta Achievements like Tequatl, Shatterer, Tri Wurm and so on woudl be then listed up there, so that the old initial boss segment could get integrated into that, some older achievements could get removed then and reworked into better designed new achivements as replacements so that nobody loses Ap that they originally have already earned from then retired and replaced old achievements

4) Completely rework the Daily System as it is an utter shadow of its former self of the daily system that GW1 had with boring repetitive tasks.
What this game needs is a clear and complex REPUTATION SYSTEM BASED ON VARIOUS CLASS SPECIFIC AND NON CLASS SPECIFIC ORDER GUILDS (Merchant Guilds, Thieves Guilds, Knights Guilds, Mercenary Guilds and so on – which are the classical Order Guilds in regard of – Offer Job X, search Person to do Job X and get Reward Y from me for a successful done job X)

Order Guild, where yu earn with your characters reputation and where you get more and more, better and better taskas to do, so higher you rise in their reputation ranks so that they enthrust you with more risky but more rewarding tasks if you are willing to take them on… A huge multitude list of daily, weekly and monthly tasks that dynamicalyl changes constantly over time and that is the natural evolution of how quest systems in a dynamic world should work like….

You want your character to become a famous Treasure Hunter? Go get you a name and make some reputation in Lion’s archs local Thieves Guild.
You rather want to become a famous protector of the lands? Then get you a name and reputation under one of them many knight guilds that work for Tyrias safety and security.

You like to make simply money by helping others as as goo as you can, regardless of what you are asked to do, as long the reward is good enough? get you a name and get reputation as one of the most famours mercenaries that tyrias has ever seen that does everythign, from slayign the most powerful and rarest to find monsters just to get something from that a doctor can make a livesaving medicine just in time from a little ill kid to just collectign for the local herbalist some rare ingredients and so on….

Thats for me for what DYNAMIC EVENTS really stand for, a system that isn’t just like what we have prescripted events that rinse and repeat happen constantly over and over again every x minutes.
its a complex quest system that complements these scripted events and adds all over the world daily, weekly and monthly completely RANDOM CREATED content.

A game so intelligent, that it practically creates content alone by itself by using all kinds of external ressources that it needs to do that by constantly searching in the internet after game appropriate thigns that it can use to create random quests with the help of prescripted content for NPCs that it can use randonly, where randomly also gender, race, class, style and so on get exchanged so that the npcs never look the same.

If we can ever get technology for game design to this grade of design power, that a game can manage practically randomly its content dynamically by itself alone for all kinds of tasks, quests, missions and so on for players to do, then and only then can we really talk of a living breathing dynamic game world and not of a fake of a living world, that is only as long as living, as far as anet delivers prescripted events to the maps that they can then repeat in those maps ad nauseum making the concept of a living world look only on the paper nice, but letting you very quickly realize, that our game technology is basically for game design still at a level, where dreaming about real dynamic game worlds is nothing but just a wishdream, an illusion just to say.

If I could go with my character into the game all day long and would find in a mercenary guild every day, every week, every month completely new tasks to do to work on my reputation in that game as a (insert guild job of an order guild here), which are all created by the game itself by random, then we can really speak of a dynamic game, that is so dynamic, that it makes you actually feel like really being in a living always changing digital world and being part of it by influencing it through the order guilds world influence you give it, by doing successfully tasks for your guild you work for to raise its reputation in Tyria so that it can receive more political influence in the game, so that thigns can pisitively or negatively change for you in regard of which guilds are politically active the most.

5) The game should have together with point 4) then Daily, Weekly and Monthly Achievements that players should be able to earn by making reputation for their joined order guilds by doing all the kinds of random created tasks for them, where surely also some stuff can repeat itself from time to time, but not like on a kind of short tiem based routine like it is right now, where you have the same daily taskas to do like every two weeks in a cycle.
Daily, Weekly and Monthly Achievementd should all come then with their own AP Limits.
15000 for Daily, 15000 for Weekly, 15000 for Monthly, where Dailies give the lowest amount of AP (10), Weeklies a medium amount (25) and Monthly a big amount of AP (50)

When such kind of content formats work for Offline RPGs, I think they surely can work also too for MMORPGs to give players constantly something new to do and get rewarded for those tasks, if you do them successfully in time, while earning reputation with that you rise in rank, to become able to receive the more diffucult but also more rewardign tasks and to get also access to Weekly and Monthly tasks over time as everybody would start on low reputation ranks with only access to Daily tasks for the order guild their work for …

That is some kind of vision I have for how this game should handle the daily system.
It should be a system, that needs to become more than just a five minute trackdown of the three most simplest tasks just to get some AP and useless rewards…

It should become a system, where you can make with it some essential progression for your character and that within say 10 to 30 minutes of effort maximum spent and that either on the daily basis, or over a week or over a month worth of time in regard of how difficult the task is you took over to try to fulfill for your task giver to raise your reputation for your guild you work for and for yourself naturally also too to become worthy enough for your guild to receive also the more valuable tasks to do over time for them.

Thats for me also a big part of Character Progression, that our characters become also part of the daily life and business and need to do something for their reputation as our characters should have also some kind of normal lifes, besides of being commanders of the pact …

But maybe I envision too much into this game’s genre in regard of its potential, how it could get improved and could make for players alot more fun with such a complex and true dynamic system that ensures that players have all the time something new and fun to do, that isn’t something what they maybe have done already for the xth time by now…

I think GW2 would be a much better and much more stress free game without AP Leaderboards and with a significantly improved daily, weekly, monthly business system, that keeps players interested in the game by providign them with rendom created tasks of a broad choice of various different kinds of guilds your character can work for to gain reputation for them and yourself that truly would make the ganme look like alot more dynamically and lifeful than it currently is with its constant prescrepted events only that are not all all dynamic.

An event, that constantly recycles in a fix rotation is not dynamic, it is still freaking STATIC, because its always there, its always the same, it ends always in the same two results of either A or B that is either success or fail, it is always happening at the same place, where a dynamic quest can take you everywhere to all kinds of various maps, before you fulfill the task, not having to be constantly in the same map for the accomplishment of the task that was given to you.

But maybe we will realize this kind of real dynamic game design maybe, when I’m already old and gray and eventually my then to have grandchilds play online games, maybe then we have this kind of technology that is needed to create real dynamic gamewolds where events aren’t prescripted things, but instead randomized content, that is created by the game itself to entertain its player dynamically, each day, each week, each month with somethign completely new and random as if it would be our personal “fate” to do these things in the game right now.

But maybe I have just watched too much Swort Art Online lol

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The better thing would be to allow us to get an entire set of one of the armors that we want without having to get pieces of the one we want less. I got to 17.5k and stopped. Best decision I ever made in this game.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: elainom.2918

elainom.2918

30k+ ap here. The daily cap was a blessing because it allowed me to focus on other aspects of the game to grab some more valuable achievements. If you are an AP hunter, you could live without the existence of the daily AP as it would give more importance and value to all other achievements. Login in and doing 3 cheap things to get +10 AP is not something to be asked for more.

So dailies are fine as they are. If you missed past events, its not your fault, but there shouldnt be some kind of compensation on the daily cap because you did not participate in those past events.

If you just recently hit the cap, my advice is learn to live without having to do this daily pointless carrot that doesnt reward you for anything really, just like all the veterans who capped the dailies leared to live without completing the daily. You can find other things in the game to enjoy now that you’ve hit the cap.

And I agree with malediktus, if tweaks are to be done to the achievement system, it should be focused on changing some of the AP amounts some achievements give, be it more, be it less.

To be honest, if you are between 0 ap and 20k AP, you have absolutely no chance of ever catching up with the people in the leaderboards, even with a limitless daily AP (but seriously, who would want that, you achieve nothing really…). Having a cap is fine, it gives a goal. Often we see people who reacher those goals (MF, Daily AP) trying to force their way to push those further instead of looking for another goal somewhere, be it a collection, or doing specific achievs for exemple.

And then there’s the kind of people like rauderi who are not even concerned by these kind of topic as he’s not even an AP huner but still wants to voice his opinion based on no experience at all.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m self since game release a kind of AP hunter… and even now where i haven’t reached by far the daily cap of 15000 Ap, im just a few days of playing away of reaching 25000 AP.

Hunted so far every day the daily, until the last wintersday came.. I can’t say what happened to me in these days between wintersday and today…I just can say, i made Winters Presence and now where I have it, I must say, it made me realize something – something that I kind of ignored in my own little playing addiction I kind of had over the last years while trying to stay competitive and gettign my feet near the top 1000 players spot (and hell yeah, I reached so far kind of top 1250 around or so for sure)

This something was, that I’m happy already with what I have achieved and that working only harder on something, that is unlikely for me to reach ever under this current situation is much more likely to burn me out far more only as much as like just Wintersday and working on Winters Presence has had me totally burned out so much, that I’m not feeling anymore since a long time at all the desire to play the game, be it just for login in and making the daily or for something else.

I just realized for the first time massively, that I’m in a dire need of a break and that completely without having to reach first the Daily Ap Cap and reaching the point, where loggin in and doing the dailies doesn’t let me progress further anymore.

The daily system of this game is already in itself a very flat and boring repetitive system, thats why I wrote my post above in detail, to express, that the system in itself could be so much more than it currently is, more fun, more rewarding, more complex with a MEANING and a FEATURE behind of it in regard of a potitical reputation system that could be part of our daily character progression kind of…kind of what Factions was basically for GW1.

Like it has been mentioned, there is absolutely no need for anybody here to fool themself as a new player by thinking, they would ever have a chance to be competitive for the AP leaderboards.
Like I said, the leaderboards as they are now are essentially just only meaningful for like the top 100 people that are doing still the competition only for their egos, so that they can say they belong to the best players of the game that have achieved the most….

Technically seen is this huge leaderboard just a total waste, a service for 100 people basically, compared to working on a service, that could be of value for far more than just 100 people. What would you as a developer priorize here?

To keep up on a service, thats meaningful just for the egos of 100 people?
Or to work on services, that can be useful and meaningful for practically all players?

Id choose the latter one …
—-

Those people who reached already the daily cap and say here, its a blessing, those people can I absolutely understand now.
Something why I’d say, don’t remove the Daily Cap, improve the System behind it and add what should have been added right from the start with it – Weeklies and reintroduce Monthlies. Add to both of these Task Types then also AP Limits of each 15000 points, but give like suggested all types different high AP values based on the difficulty and time effort needed to fulfill.
Exclude then from the current Daily AP again the amount of Monthly Ap that Anet merged practically into the Daily AP total amount for the cap

Example: I have 11000 Daily AP, 1600 from that are old monthly AP from before Anet merged both together, shrinking actually the Daily AP I can make more to 4000, when it should be essentially rather 5600 when monthlies would become again their own AP section with its own AP limit. (and this would give peopel which have maxed Daily Ap already again a little bit new space for new Daily AP in regard of how much monthly Ap you made back in the past)

For me I can say only to myself now, my burnout from this game was a blessing, it kind of made me realize again, whats important.
AP total amounts in a game like this definetely isn’t important, nor hunting dailies for it to have the highest points of all.

Important is to have fun while playing, doing things, that are meaningful in the game, that should be part of your characters progression best if possible and not just only a + in numbers without any effect, other than rewarding you for every 500 of it with something mostly meaningless while things like that can slowly draw you more and more into playing addiction.

The burnout feeling was like a bursting bubble to me, like a warning of my body that made me clear, that I need to change something.
That sudden hole of time the following days after did I spent with watching Animes from Guilty Crown over Swort Art Online to DanMachi and stuff that had similarities with Guild Wars..I guess this was my way of working off the kind of withdrawal appearance by filling the self created void with something else over the time.

If someone followed me to this point, thanks for reading, as you may ask yourself by now..

Why on earth do I tell you all this little story about me here in this topic?

Very simple reasons:

1) Prevention – I want others to take simply some minutes of their lives and think about it, if really removing the caps are a good thing for the game, bot more also for themself.
Ask this yourself for why would you want to get the caps removed and if a removed cap would likely lead only to you playing the game more zealously to just reach more and more AP to try to reach something, what you most likely never ever will reach anyways, especially as a new player that is 3+ years left behind of AP
What hapened to me, can happen to many other players out there too.
I know, many people surely wll say right now while reading this line – not with me, somethign like this will never happen too me -

But I say to you, playing addiction can and will happen too you easier and quicker, than you might think, or than you might REALIZE, that you are already addicted, and such mechanics like daily systems without any caps will definetely lead to playing addictions, if not capped as in certain cases like mine they do even so with caps and not having reached the cap yet, when theres just something in a game that doesn’t let you go and that you want to have desperately, no matter what – a simple desire, be it in my case owning a specific skin, or be in in many other peoples case like chasing down the top 100 people, just to see their display names standing in a useless leaderboard…

2) Protection
As much as prevention can go, there needs to be protection.
That being said, it is the very best for all of us, that certain thigns in this game stay capped. The mechanics can get maybe advanced and more detailed, like i suggested, that ANet should improve the system to make the tasks more meaningful and to expand the system into how it should have been done imo from begin on with dailies, weeklies and monthlies, but in the end, as a protection for all of your precious health, need certain things to stay capped in my honest opinion.

People that say, this cap is a blessing, and all of those, that had in their lifes on something a kind of burnout, will share this feeling surely with me, when I see, that having things in a game capped and to realize, that you are simply done with something is kind of just loosing a burden. You start to see thigns clearer agai, you don’t force yourself anymore to login just to do something basicalyl unimportant in a game that is of no meaning
Its a relief, just like I described my personal situation once I freed myself out of my addiction after realizing that my burnout I caused to myself by playing too intensively over wintersday was my pinnacle of playing addiction to the point that I instantly drastically reduced my play amount, ignoring to login daily, knowing that id have for some time for sure withdrawal appearances and hell yeah I had them together with kind of depressions in a brief but intense time, but now I’m feeling better, its like Ive just taken a big rock from my shoulders not having the desire to play daily GW2 anymore just to do some meaningless dailies just for the sake of doing them and getting some AP, or just to get the login rewards and so on…
—-

Removing Daily Caps is not the right thing to do.
ANet can and will constantly add new content anyways with that you can make more AP, that is far more meaningful content to do, than to hunt down Ap from login on daily and doing meaningles shallow repetitive tasks that are basically every second day the same and absolutely not worth it to risk yourself to fall into playing addiction maybe, like me without realizing it basically, wouldn’t I have played this game to the point that I absolutely burned myself out and that just only for a skin item…

Maybe my story will lead to it that some people will overthink first in this game, what is really important to them and that collecting AP for the sake of standing in a leaderboard on top in a game is absolutely not important in life to be worth it to risk your health for it.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Did not even know there was a cap, but I am glad it exists.

Is there a way to track how far along I am?

kolompi.1287

This whole thing is not about catching up to someone because honestly only people with severe issues would care about their ranking on a PvE leaderboard in a game like this.

The point people were making here was that the daily cap idea was flawed to begin with and perhaps it should be removed.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

In the hero panel, hover with your mouse over the AP number in the top left and you will get a popup with the AP split into 3 categories: daily, monthly and permanent. Add the daily and monthly and that’s where you are in regards to the 15k cap.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

The… “competition” some of you are harping about is a JOKE. I bet that 99% of the ppl who want unrestricted APs simply want their rewards reached at their own pace instead of being drip-fed at a rate Anet considers “good for you”. Also other people shouldn’t be restricted because of your “ocd” or “addiction” or any other bombastic word you have for every little compulsion you have.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

The… “competition” some of you are harping about is a JOKE. I bet that 99% of the ppl who want unrestricted APs simply want their rewards reached at their own pace instead of being drip-fed at a rate Anet considers “good for you”. Also other people shouldn’t be restricted because of your “ocd” or “addiction” or any other bombastic word you have for every little compulsion you have.

The leaderboard competition is the only real use for achievementpoints. Most of the people that don’t like the daily cap just want an easy way to get the ap skins, gold and gems easily for no work at all. That was never anet’s intend and if they would want the skins to be a joke for everyone, they would just give them out at lower ap areas.

So please people stop asking billion of times for a useless ap cap removal and just log in and do all the available achievements where you actually have to play the game!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

In the hero panel, hover with your mouse over the AP number in the top left and you will get a popup with the AP split into 3 categories: daily, monthly and permanent. Add the daily and monthly and that’s where you are in regards to the 15k cap.

Cheers lover.

kolompi.1287

The leaderboard competition is the only real use for achievementpoints. Most of the people that don’t like the daily cap just want an easy way to get the ap skins, gold and gems easily for no work at all. That was never anet’s intend and if they would want the skins to be a joke for everyone, they would just give them out at lower ap areas.

So please people stop asking billion of times for a useless ap cap removal and just log in and do all the available achievements where you actually have to play the game!

Wait, wait. How was it not their intention? From Anet’s point of view, the daily cap is a bad idea because people actually stopped “playing the game” as you said when they reached it. I know, i have seen it happen often. Also… if the only real use of AP is the competition then why do you claim that people wanting the cap removed only want skins? Is it A or B?

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Please never remove the daily AP limit. It is an important milestone for an account and serves as an upper threshold so that new players have something attainable with immense effort so that they can compete with other older veterans on the AP leaderboard.

What new players?
There is far more seasoned players than new players. Who you gonna appease? the senior majority who have been playing the last 3.5 years, or the minority newer players who have yet to prove they will still be playing 3 years from now?

When you state it out loud, the answer is obvious. Anet back the wrong pony on this one. They should have left them limitless and keep the proven, larger group of dedicated players happy over newer, unknown commitment players.

Bomber.3872

Wait, wait. How was it not their intention? From Anet’s point of view, the daily cap is a bad idea because people actually stopped “playing the game” as you said when they reached it. I know, i have seen it happen often. Also… if the only real use of AP is the competition then why do you claim that people wanting the cap removed only want skins? Is it A or B?

It’s definitly B. There is no reason to stop playing after you reached your daily cap! You still get the same loot each day, you only don’t get cheap easy ap. So if someone stops playing because of the daily cap than it’s only because these people don’t want todo the hard or expensive achievemts (pvp/wvw). The reason for these people was only to gain easy ap and the ap skins/gold/gems. That thinking is only their fault and not anets. Even the worlds top player hasn’t reached the total maximum ap, so there is still extreme much todo.
The daily cap especially ensures that some (ap skins) are really exclusive! (No hellfirr and radiant is possible for everyone) The weapons/armor you get from 30.000 AP is currently something special and there is no reason why anyone should be able to get it by only logging in each day and maybe never doing harder real achievements.
Actually anet should have had a way lower daily ap cap or just remove all AP everyone gained through daily, that way AP would show some real ingame effort (currently only 25k+ ap player can show this real effort because of 15k free easy ap).

!And ap are not there to lure you into logging in each day! For this reason anet changed the gained loot, that’s why you now really get some loot just for logging in each day!

kolompi.1287

What is AP there for then? It’s completely useless to gauge a person’s ability to play the game. The skins you get are mostly rubbish by themselves (without the whole “prestige” of the AP gate). The competition? Ridiculous.

You are right about one thing though. We should all play the game for the game and not for AP. So the whole AP reward system should never have been implemented and should be dropped.

Malediktus.9250

The AP system has a very good use: It makes you play all kind of areas of the game. I probably would never have experienced a lot of the game if an achievement or collection would have suggested me to go there.
I predict a lot of areas seeing less player attention if you would drop the AP system. And I know many players who just log in every day to compete in the top 1000 of the AP system, many of them buying a lot of gems to convert them for gold for expensive collections. So it is a win-win for Anet and players to have the leaderboards and the AP system the way it is.

Bomber.3872

What is AP there for then? It’s completely useless to gauge a person’s ability to play the game. The skins you get are mostly rubbish by themselves (without the whole “prestige” of the AP gate). The competition? Ridiculous.

You are right about one thing though. We should all play the game for the game and not for AP. So the whole AP reward system should never have been implemented and should be dropped.

… Y… Well I guess you don’t care at all about the ap leaderboard? Of course they are useless for you then. For example I couldn’t care less on who is on the pvp ladder or which server is on which position on the wvw ladder. For me these two ladder’s show no skill, no dedication, nothing, for me they only show people that have been lucky and anet could remove them tomorrow and I wouldn’t care.
But that said, I don’t come here and write: anet let pvp rankfarm count for the ladder/pvp backpack/leauge system.
I don’t write: anet remove wvw or let us only play against non zerging low population servers, so we always win.

The same with achievements, there are people that don’t care about any, about daily or about the ladder. I can ensure you most of the top 1.000 AP player do care. At the top100 ap highest ranks people care so much that they craft every legendary only for the collection ap or for example that theiy spend 25.000 ecto and 10.000g on the ecto gamle skritt only to get 1 more ap, or they farm activity’s for years only to get the ap.
That competition, dedication, time, money and yes ‘work’ exists only because of the ladder and it’s only possible because of the daily cap.

That’s an extremly good reason for the cap and for the exclusivity that someone has for example because he owns the 30.000 ap skin. It’ a possible long time goal for every veteran, completionist, long time hardcore player, way more than daily logins could ever be. (Of course in some years a lot of people have 30.000 ap, but then 40.000 ap will be some thing special. It’s kind of a long time systme like the leauge system vor other long time goal system in gw2.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

+1 Clean and simple.

Also remove the AP from being shown ingame and also remove the items you receive for them. That would be so much cleaner, considering people should play for AP as a personal form of pride not for items.

Malediktus.9250

+1 Clean and simple.

Also remove the AP from being shown ingame and also remove the items you receive for them. That would be so much cleaner, considering people should play for AP as a personal form of pride not for items.

Did you get kicked for having too few AP? Make your own group. Are you jelous other people have more AP than you and skins you will not reach any time soon? Too bad for you.