Request: Rainbow Dye for Marriage Equality!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mr Ko Killer.7206

Mr Ko Killer.7206

All people want is representation.

I just find it quite funny that people scream and shout about equality, to be treated just like everyone else, but want to flaunt representative barriers because they so badly desire to be different from everyone else.
True equality comes when everyone can be who we are, without flaunting who we are.

I’m not against this at all, but I’m more or less surprised people continue to push politics into a hobby.

Rainbow dyes for the hell of it, sounds like a better idea than just for a “subgroup” of people looking for ways to be known.

Jade Quarry’s TrollMaster General| Generation Of Legends [EviL] Leader

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

All people want is representation.

I just find it quite funny that people scream and shout about equality, to be treated just like everyone else, but want to flaunt representative barriers because they so badly desire to be different from everyone else.
True equality comes when everyone can be who we are, without flaunting who we are.

Odd that these comments usually come from people who can find themselves everywhere, and when someone who has yet to find themselves in a piece of popular culture wants to be in something, or gasp more than a single something, the “we are all equal it shouldn’t matter” card gets played.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

All people want is representation. I’m not saying rainbow dye is the absolute best way to do it, though it doesn’t hurt. But when almost all you see in media is one specific type of person, when there’s so much incredible diversity in the world, it becomes, well. A bit of a downer to be in one of those marginalized groups. You know what marginalization means, yes?

Yes, as a Puerto Rican male that has been slammed against a car by 5 white cops for having the “audacity” to walk through Spanish Harlem on a Saturday morning, I know full well what it is to be marginalized, tyvm.

As someone who’s had a gay friend jumped and beaten simply because they were gay, i know what its like to see people hurt due to another ignorance.

As someone who is frankly terrified for his 2 young daughters and the world that still insists on dictating to them what their gander can and can’t do, i get it. Really I do.

Here’s what you seem to be missing from my statement above, and that is, I don’t mind it when it is meaningful or helps in some way with the plot, etc. I genuinely liked the Marjory/Kas thing, not only because they are a couple, but because they actually touched upon the fact that not everyone in this world of Tyria is necessarily OK with it. THAT is a good way to put a social message in the game without beating people over the head with it.

In Last of Us, the info gleaned about Bill and his partner was very well done and was full of feels, and they way it was all delivered in game was done in such as way as to make it both meaningful without being preachy.

Simply adding X group into a game or X message into the game because they have some some kitten in their lives, and then doing so as a dye in support of, or some other we put this here cuz reasons, frankly cheapens the message and the issues they actually deal with day in and day out. it trivializes the whole thing and makes Anet look more like they are saying “look at us! we’re inclusive!” So what?

maybe they need to put in a mini pet llama with a “Save Tibet” banner over its back. Oh wait, no, they can’t do that if they want to still sell the game in China.

Not to mention the act of doing so means nothing outside of the game and ultimately amounts to naval gazing.

Anet has already shown their support loud and clear for the LGBTQ community time and time again, and its great, but everyone and everything doesn’t need to have their own personal soap box in the game. This isn’t the capitol square of Madison, WI on a Saturday morning where every group, big and small, needs to come out with their banners. Save it for the real world.

Nailed it nicely, I think. It is fine to be inclusive, but you have to do it with meaning and not do it just because, otherwise it’s little more than lip service.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Maybe a piece of jewelry that has a mild rainbow effect would be prettier as well as avoiding dye problems.

What a great idea

Perhaps they could also do a deal on the Permanent Unicorn Finisher (as it is very rainbow-y)?

Also, we have rainbow cake already in game… perhaps they could do something with this? For instance, in LA they could add a merchant NPC with a quick dialogue before the merchant panel selling the rainbow cake.

“Did you hear the good news? Tyria is becoming a freer place for everybody!”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Slice_of_Rainbow_Cake

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Until rainbow dye is programmed, start messing around with different patterns on our armor pieces. Then we can run around LA and spread the love.

As George Takei put it…

Attachments:

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

There is a major difference between a Rainbow Dye and individual armor pieces being dyed different colors.

Mr Ko Killer.7206

Odd that these comments usually come from people who can find themselves everywhere, and when someone who has yet to find themselves in a piece of popular culture wants to be in something, or gasp more than a single something, the “we are all equal it shouldn’t matter” card gets played.

Odd that someone defending the topic at hand is being the very judgmental person that causes most of the suffering endured by subgroups who have been oppressed because of laws or society mindset.

Contrary to popular believe, you don’t need to be poor, have the ethnic background, nor against society, to be oppressed for something or for that matter, to be suffering because of who you are, something you don’t seem to comprehend.

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

Dear Social Justice Warriors,

Please stop trying to turn this game into a big political message.

This game has enough problems without having to be further dragged down by political correctness.

Sincerely,
Everyone who just wants to play the game.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Odd that someone defending the topic at hand is being the very judgmental person that causes most of the suffering endured by subgroups who have been oppressed because of laws or society mindset.

Contrary to popular believe, you don’t need to be poor, have the ethnic background, nor against society, to be oppressed for something or for that matter, to be suffering because of who you are, something you don’t seem to comprehend.

Oh, sorry, I missed your signature. Never mind.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

You know how hard it would be to add a multi color dye, it would take a lot of extra coding to support more then a single color, and if there going to do all that extra work just for you then I want to see new dyes for myself too, like textured dyes or dyes with particle effects.

I’m all for equality but your asking for way more then what the rest of us get.

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Mr Ko Killer.7206

Oh, sorry, I missed your signature. Never mind.

Yeah, people tell me that when they get in over their heads talking about things they really don’t understand.

Posted by: Recluce.3709

Recluce.3709

how about if you don’t agree or don’t like it, then just DONT HIT “post reply”. Just move on to another topic. No reason to come in here and take a poop.

So much negativity, so much off topic…. Please be respectful. GW2 has the best and most supportive community of players – but only when they want to be.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Im a big supporter of Marriage Equality apart from the fact that it currently kittens on people who want to co habit only

- I am however sick and tired of entertainment like MMORPG’s being politicised by just HAVING to make a point about the current News or zeitgeist, and theres something relentlessly pushy and off putting about some armchair activists insistence that their particular area of interest is PAID ATTENTION TOO….

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

“oh can you guys also add in an area where we can show our support for the banning of obtaining a slow loris as a pet?”

That is a bad analogy and not comparable to what LGBTQA people have had to deal with.

I love that Anet is and has been as inclusive in their world’s lore for same sex couples, transgender, physically disabled, etc but seriously. Enough. They don’t have to add literally every marginalized group into their lore just because they exist in our world and are marginalized there.

You’re contradicting yourself, and also, is that a problem?

Should they model and add in someone with Downs Syndrome? Perhaps someone struggling with Schizophrenia?.

…Again, is that a problem?

All people want is representation. I’m not saying rainbow dye is the absolute best way to do it, though it doesn’t hurt. But when almost all you see in media is one specific type of person, when there’s so much incredible diversity in the world, it becomes, well. A bit of a downer to be in one of those marginalized groups. You know what marginalization means, yes?

If all people want is representation then they already have that in game.

There are already same sex couples.

But that is not happening here. What is happening is people asking for special attention, not representation.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Can I just say…

I only want rainbow dye because I grew up in the 80’s and love rainbows?

I mean there are people who just like rainbows.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

how about if you don’t agree or don’t like it, then just DONT HIT “post reply”. Just move on to another topic. No reason to come in here and take a poop.

So much negativity, so much off topic…. Please be respectful. GW2 has the best and most supportive community of players – but only when they want to be.

How about no.

I’m free to post where ever I want no matter if I agree or disagree with the topic being discussed.

How about if you don’t like seeing people post in disagreement don’t click on the thread?

Posted by: MVP.7961

MVP.7961

It is not about agreeing or disagreeing; It is about asking to add certain things which relate to certain sensitive matters to the game. Most people play games to relax their minds, and not involve themselves in political/religious/sexual orientation/other sensitive subjects; In short they want to just have fun, and seeing this will create issues where there is and should be none.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

Please don’t get me wrong. I am definitely a gay rights supporter, as I am a supporter of any minority rights. But it confuzzles the bejezzes out of me when people are saying “we need to fight in order to be considered and accepted like a normal person, like everybody else” and on the other hand they’re like “we need something that would show that we are different than everybody else”.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Please don’t get me wrong. I am definitely a gay rights supporter, as I am a supporter of any minority rights. But it confuzzles the bejezzes out of me when people are saying “we need to fight in order to be considered and accepted like a normal person, like everybody else” and on the other hand they’re like “we need something that would show that we are different than everybody else”.

This is pretty much how I feel about it as well.

Posted by: Belexes.4923

Belexes.4923

I think we should take a vote on it!

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

But it confuzzles the bejezzes out of me when people are saying “we need to fight in order to be considered and accepted like a normal person, like everybody else” and on the other hand they’re like “we need something that would show that we are different than everybody else”.

Any sort of arbitrary groups of people will have the former and later examples of what you mentioned. Some people will act normal, while others (who simply share something in common) are attention seekers. It’s just unfortunate then the attention seekers keep trying to shine a spotlight on themselves and those that share something in common with them when those others just want to be left alone.

Basically, the attention seekers and the people just wanting to be normal are literally two different groups of people that just happen to be arbitrarily grouped together by whichever parameters happen to be used in this artificial grouping.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Posted by: Joy.8791

Joy.8791

I want a rainbow dye because I like rainbows and dyes.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Can I just say…

I only want rainbow dye because I grew up in the 80’s and love rainbows?

I mean there are people who just like rainbows.

They could call the colour ‘Tie’.

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

The Marriage Equality thing is almost a self derail.

I mean, that might be your reason for wanting it, but as a general request it might be an interesting dye.

Why stop at rainbows? Multicolor, gradated, color-changing, iridescent, and patterned dyes might be really cool.

Take the idea of enameled dyes a bit further.

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

This game has enough problems without having to be further dragged down by political correctness.

Sincerely,

Quoted for truth.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

how about if you don’t agree or don’t like it, then just DONT HIT “post reply”.

Half the reason to show up onto the forums is to discuss something that we don’t agree with. But respect is definitely in order.

That said, I am seriously 100% not joking about:

The hardest JP chest you can only get to after battling Jormag and the Shatterers illegitimate twin dragon babies that spawns only on odd days of the week when the moon is waning.

I would like to request that this become a dynamic event.

I mean, kitten . Imagine something like that just happening in a zone and ArenaNet doesn’t even mention it beforehand.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

Posted by: Phyxius Animus.7356

Phyxius Animus.7356

I’m not against a rainbow dye. I’m against people throwing out the discrimination card or the equality card to get something they want. It’s just in bad taste. In my opinion (which is worth what you paid for it), this request is a kitten move.

How about simply requesting a rainbow dye?

Posted by: Agent Bon.6248

Agent Bon.6248

The game engine only supports up to 3 colors per dye. Some armor has gradient blends of them, thus making them appear to have more colors. The devs might be able to make a dye with red, yellow, and blue but it would not appear rainbow-like on most gear. Also, different gear uses the colors differently; some use the secondary colors for undertones while others use gradient blends, and I’m pretty sure some gear doesn’t even use all 3 colors.

It would be much easier for ANet to add a gem store back piece or something like that. Maybe reskin the guild flag back or, as someone else suggested, rainbow wings.

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

But if no one presents any dissenting opinions, no actual discussion happens. It’d be like the necro forums where people make posts saying “please buff necro” and you get six pages of people just posting “I agree”. That’s not a conversation.

If you’re not willing to have your beliefs challenged, you’re on the wrong internet.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Honestly, I’ll take rainbow anything because I love rainbow colors. Not political anything attached :p

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

It would be an ugly dye, regardless of the reason it’s added. Plus it’s not a single color, so it’s probably impossible to work it in as such.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Rainbow Kite would be so much better than a dye!

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Aren’t we all equal in this game?

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

If you get a special gay friendly colour, i want a special hetero colour, just for the sake of equality.

I mean, it’s pretty absurd to say “we are all equal” when dressing purposedly different.

It’s Already In Game

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

This game doesn’t need to reflect things happening in real life constantly, especially when it only affects ~10% of the population of one country in the world.

Posted by: dbgfeller.8120

dbgfeller.8120

Please, leave politics out of this game, for obvious reasons. Thanks!

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Sincerely,

Dear “everyone”, I’d buy a rainbow dye and wear it though I’m not gay and prefer black dyes. That’s a sale for Anet and cash is king. Today is an important day in history and I’ll support it.

Rainbows are cool

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

This game doesn’t need to reflect things happening in real life constantly, especially when it only affects ~10% of the population of one country in the world.

Well…. You could also say up to 10% of the world’s population or roughly twice the total population of the United States 700 million people. Ya, not big enough.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

“You want to weigh in on this one Oberon?”

“Nope.”

“…You sure? I’ve got this 10ft pole!”

“Nah, I’m good.”

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

How about people stop being special snowflakes and stop pushing their religion/sexual orientation/something else onto other people ingame? If you are gay/lesbian/transgender/atheist/christian/boy/girl what does it matter? Why is it so important to let everyone ingame to know that? Does that improve your gameplay? Or anything ingame related? Isn’t that true purpose of these people shouting it’s their right to be treated equal? So ironic.

You can allways shout your preferences in map chat if you so desperatly want to be different and equal and let everybody know that. See how that goes.

Or how about straight people just wanting to show their support? Ever thought about that?

I’m hetersoxual and I have NO problems with this.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I’ll pass along the suggestion about rainbow dye. I don’t know if it would work, given the way dye is added to armor and items, but the art team would know about functionality and they can determine if it’s something that we would want to add to the game.

We seem to have slipped far away from game-related topics, yet again. I’d like all of us to just stop and think about the wonder and beauty of rainbows — because, really, who doesn’t marvel at a rainbow? There’s no need to see this as a divisive or contentious topic. Rainbows rock!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet