Revenant armor in Rata Sum

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Post on Reddit where the OP came across a person wearing the Revenant armor.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/30cra1/found_someone_wearing_the_revenant_armor/

Unless it’s bugged and appeared in their wardrobe, I can’t imagine how they got it.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Wtf.. Fix that joke

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wtf.. Fix that joke

Lots of bugs in this last patch. I guess that’s one more.

ANet may give it to you.

Scoobaniec.9561

Wtf.. Fix that joke

At least this one seems to be easier to fix. Track people that had access to beta and if they unlocked skins rollback account and ban them for exploiting. This is not a HoM bug where (by mistake) i unlocked it myself, they did it on purpose and deserve to be punished for being “loyal” in this case. Loyal exploit deservers a loyal ban

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

Wtf.. Fix that joke

At least this one seems to be easier to fix. Track people that had access to beta and if they unlocked skins rollback account and ban them for exploiting. This is not a HoM bug where (by mistake) i unlocked it myself, they did it on purpose and deserve to be punished for being “loyal” in this case. Loyal exploit deservers a loyal ban

I wouldn’t hand out bans like that, since you can unlock skins without even intending to do so.

I took part in the beta stress test and there was no way of intentionally unlocking skins (at least not using the standard methods). Normally, as soon as you equip a weapon/armor, the skin gets unlocked automatically, the right click option was disabled though.

I only played Revenant in the stress test, but didn’t get the armor skin. I heard of many who unlocked the Mistforged weapons though, since these were the weapons automatically provided for all other classes. Strange…

Scoobaniec.9561

My guess is they deleted items on purpose. And why not ban them? Honest players would

1. not put these skins on their items
2. report they have unlocked skins by accident from beta

Instead we see some player on screenshot clearly taking advantage over that bug, and in this case deserves a ban in my opinion.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Guess we would have heard about this sooner if it happened to everyone playing in the stress test. Haven’t noticed it myself, but I didn’t really look for it specifically.

However, if I did have it unlocked, I would totally “misclick” a few times to have it applied to one of my chars, then claim innocence over the matter and hope it’ll get fixed at the speed of the HoM/GWAMM bug .

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

My guess is they deleted items on purpose. And why not ban them? Honest players would

Instead we see some player on screenshot clearly taking advantage over that bug, and in this case deserves a ban in my opinion.

I really hope you’re kidding. Even if someone did do this intentionally and it’s not a: a bug changing character appearance or b: a clever combination of armor pieces that just looks like revenant armor, there is no game play benefit to be had from equipping any armor skin.

You must be a blast at parties, man.

Posted by: fracture.9754

fracture.9754

Wtf.. Fix that joke

Were the unlocks rerolled? If not, I so wish I’d grab those. I’d really like some of those skins

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s too harsh.

I did look in my wardrobe to see if it has the slots for the armor in there and it didn’t. Even if someone deleted the items in beta there is no guarantee places would then open up in the wardrobe. It could have very well been a bug that it showed up in that person’s wardrobe. Undoubtably the person should report it, and for all we know they did, but banning where there is no financial gain, no, I don’t see it.

Banning is going overboard on the punishment. Deletion of the skin is sufficient.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

ad 1. whoever that is probably tested out whether the skins only seem to be unlocked or they can actually be applied to armor – regardless of the intention though: there is no benefit to applying a skin to an armor…
ad 2. since you don’t get an “unlocked” notification for starter armor, most players who have unlocked the skin might not have noticed it.

On a side note: I’m really glad this game isn’t being policed based on your opinion but with some actual rule sets behind it…

Posted by: December.3580

December.3580

That’s me. And honestly i could care less if they make me get rid of the skin as its not that great anyway. I noticed it was in my wardrobe and decided to try and skin it, and it worked. No I did not intentionally bug the skins. In fact i played the beta for less than 5 mins before i got bored with rev. I gain no benefits from these skins so if they make me change the skin fine lol. Did I report the bug no, Because I’m still waiting on a response from another issue I’ve had in game

Whats punishment enough is the amount of times i had to respond “Idk i saw they were unlocked and tried it out” lol

(edited by December.3580)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

And here we have yet another example of “if it can be exploited, it will be.”

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Id say just remove the skin from the players using it, and exclude them from any upcoming beta events.

The events are for testing not exploiting new skins to show off xD

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

April Fools————-

December.3580

Not really. Consider i had no intentions of using it as an exploit, also consider i finally posted it in the bugs forums I was only trying it if it worked. If i never tried someone else would have and the same situation would of happened. I wouldn’t call this an exploit since their is no gain “make full use of and derive benefit from”. Its a bug that creates 0 advantage over other players and can’t be exploited for gain other than kitten.

December.3580

Id say just remove the skin from the players using it, and exclude them from any upcoming beta events.

I agree, remove the skins. It doesn’t bother to me because they aren’t the best looking skins. Not allowing me to participate in other beta events? I don’t think they should but if they do okay. Its an unintended bug that i “found” and now they know about.

Miku.6297

I agree, remove the skins. It doesn’t bother to me because they aren’t the best looking skins. Not allowing me to participate in other beta events? I don’t think they should but if they do okay. Its an unintended bug that i “found” and now they know about.

But you also stated this

" Did I report the bug no"

Like I said the events are for testing/finding AND reporting bugs, not for you to show off new armor

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Not really. Consider i had no intentions of using it as an exploit, also consider i finally posted it in the bugs forums I was only trying it if it worked. If i never tried someone else would have and the same situation would of happened. I wouldn’t call this an exploit since their is no gain “make full use of and derive benefit from”. Its a bug that creates 0 advantage over other players and can’t be exploited for gain other than kitten.

Except that you knew it was wrong….and did it anyway….

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t think we need to be embarking on a witch hunt just because one person found and applied a skin that appeared in his wardrobe. There was no gain from it and all that needs to be done is it to be reported as a bug and then the old skins reapplied, which December has said he has already done. It’s not necessary to go overboard on this issue.

ANet may give it to you.

Rhialto.8423

Except it’s not wrong. Go ahead and read through the terms of service and see where it says you can’t equip armor skins that provide no in game benefit. Literally none whatsoever. What, is somebody going to get confused in PvP because they think they’re fighting a Revenant? Give me a break.

Seems more like people are just salty because they didn’t get into the beta.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Is this suddenly Judge Judy forums or something? It’s an apparent bug, simply report it and move on. No need to blow something this small out of proportion.

So much pettiness on these forums..

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

(edited by mXz.4512)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I think people going all “ban them into the ground” need to rethink what they’re saying.
I think it’s too drastic a measure to apply for something that gives you zero advantage in game.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

December.3580

But you also stated this

" Did I report the bug no"

Like I said the events are for testing/finding AND reporting bugs, not for you to show off new armor

I did state that i did add it to the bugs Also it sucks because i cant play my guardian right now because i get whispers like crazy so not matter how you look at if I lose on this. Either be annoyed or play offline and make my normal day hard lol

(edited by December.3580)

December.3580

Except I didn’t think it was really gonna work. I didn’t apply one skin and do it again after ti worked, I applied all three at once because my thinking was it wouldn’t apply it. Now I have to use 3 more charges to remove the armor skins. Heck I’d make a ticket asking for 3 transmutation charges back to get rid of the skins and get rid of the skins from my account

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Except it’s not wrong. Go ahead and read through the terms of service and see where it says you can’t equip armor skins that provide no in game benefit. Literally none whatsoever. What, is somebody going to get confused in PvP because they think they’re fighting a Revenant? Give me a break.

Actually I have no issues with the fact that I didn’t get into the stress test. Wasn’t even a beta.

Using a bug, knowing its a bug, is an exploit. It doesn’t matter that it doesn’t give a tangible benefit in this instance. However, I was address the mentality in general here, not just this specific instance. It is simply another example of “if I can, I’m going to. I don’t care who it hurts” In this instance, it hurts no one, because it is simply cosmetic; however, that’s not true in all cases.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Its not an exploit if people got the skins just by playing the beta. Its simply a bug.

And my god .. who would not try out a new shiny if it suddenly appears in your
wardrobe .. and what the hell is so bad with it that people call for bans ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually I have no issues with the fact that I didn’t get into the stress test. Wasn’t even a beta.

Using a bug, knowing its a bug, is an exploit. It doesn’t matter that it doesn’t give a tangible benefit in this instance. However, I was address the mentality in general here, not just this specific instance. It is simply another example of “if I can, I’m going to. I don’t care who it hurts” In this instance, it hurts no one, because it is simply cosmetic; however, that’s not true in all cases.

December did report this as a bug in the bug forum over an hour ago and has also said he tried the armor to see if it would actually work then reapplied the old skins. That should be sufficient.

Rev armor unlocked in my wardrobe

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

So according to you, sit jumping back in the day was an exploit? When I get bored and spin around as a tree using a tonic, I’m exploiting? Exploit implies some sort of unintended benefit, not “a bug was involved”.

December.3580

Considering that I’ve already posted this in the bugs. Lets drop this, It’s not a big deal and like i said I tested to see if it worked and ended up reporting it when i tested it was in a dungeon and i only new people were talking about me because someone said i made front page or reddit and took a picture and asked how I got it when I was selling.

Rhialto.8423

So this case is totally unrelated to someone using a bug for profit. In fact, this is exactly how many bugs are found, because people push the game’s systems to see what’s possible.

You may be annoyed by people who say “if you don’t say I can’t, then I can,” but I really dislike the attitude of “if you don’t say I can, then I can’t.”

How many awesome areas in games would be unexplored without people trying to break the map and find ways to slip through barriers that the developers put into the maps?

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

So they cant even make a proper beta test and you blame players for that.Nice logic…

Beldin.5498

So they cant even make a proper beta test and you blame players for that.Nice logic…

The problem is mostly that there is no real Beta Client and Server but the life client
and servers are simply used for that and so the Beta Client makes changes directly
to the life database.

At least it look that way to me. Can’t imagine they work with different SQL Servers
in the back just for that one special character slot.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Miku.6297

So according to you, sit jumping back in the day was an exploit? When I get bored and spin around as a tree using a tonic, I’m exploiting? Exploit implies some sort of unintended benefit, not “a bug was involved”.

This post has actually made me curious… So many people claiming using the armor skin is of no benefit there for not an exploit… So that means being able to parade around in said armor skin isn’t a benefit?

.. Following that logic, if there were some way to unlock every single weapon/armor skin without having to earn them, would people consider using it an exploit? They couldn’t sell or trade any of them and all they are is graphics (same as this)

Any way back on topic…
Does the armor change much on sylvari or asura? :P

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So this case is totally unrelated to someone using a bug for profit. In fact, this is exactly how many bugs are found, because people push the game’s systems to see what’s possible.

You may be annoyed by people who say “if you don’t say I can’t, then I can,” but I really dislike the attitude of “if you don’t say I can, then I can’t.”

How many awesome areas in games would be unexplored without people trying to break the map and find ways to slip through barriers that the developers put into the maps?

Now apply your mentality to real life. That’s exactly why we have to have warning tags that say things like “do not use hair dryer in the tub or shower.” Ugh. And don’t spout “but this is just a game” because if you think how people are in game / real life don’t affect the other then you are very wrong.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That’s too harsh.

I did look in my wardrobe to see if it has the slots for the armor in there and it didn’t. Even if someone deleted the items in beta there is no guarantee places would then open up in the wardrobe. It could have very well been a bug that it showed up in that person’s wardrobe. Undoubtably the person should report it, and for all we know they did, but banning where there is no financial gain, no, I don’t see it.

Banning is going overboard on the punishment. Deletion of the skin is sufficient.

Banning was exactly what they did around release when there was an issue with the karma items. Supposedly as a warning for the future. On the other hand since this would be bad PR it won’t happen.

Miku.6297

Khisanth, the karma exploit was used to make a size-able profit. So banning was the right step.

For something like this removal of the skin should be enough. Though people who hear that it can be done now and run off to wear it… Might deserve a little more then just removal xD

Beldin.5498

Banning was exactly what they did around release when there was an issue with the karma items. Supposedly as a warning for the future. On the other hand since this would be bad PR it won’t happen.

Its a totally different story.

It seems Anet wanted to avoid having extra servers, databases and clients for the
beta test, and now all that stuff happens on the life servers.

No if bugs happen they could swap over from the beta to the life environment,
and its simply ANets job to fix that.

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s too harsh.

They banned those people because they bought large numbers of accidentally underpriced karma items and used that to make (for that time) large sums of gold. An exploit where people are almost crashing the economy of the time is hardly the same as someone trying on armor that appeared in their wardrobe and then taking it off again.

Bad analogies are bad.

http://www.pcgamer.com/3000-guild-wars-2-players-permanently-banned-for-karma-exploit/

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Brave Mallyki.1563

Brave Mallyki.1563

Wtf.. Fix that joke

Did the person gain an advantage in the game that you didn’t have? No.
Does it warrant a ban? No.

Let me get you a ladder, so you can get off your high horse.

Vox Invictus [VOX] – Crystal Desert
PvP Rank – 151 – Dragon
WvW Rank – 1,120 – Silver Colonel

Rhialto.8423

Now apply your mentality to real life. That’s exactly why we have to have warning tags that say things like “do not use hair dryer in the tub or shower.” Ugh. And don’t spout “but this is just a game” because if you think how people are in game / real life don’t affect the other then you are very wrong.

Those warning labels are there to prevent lawsuits and help companies maintain goodwill with their customers, not because they’re worried that people will think they’re “allowed” to make toast while they’re taking a bath.

Gonna spout a bit, too bad: Setting aside the fact that games are not real life, and comparisons between them are worthless (I don’t kill random animals in real life, I’ll even carefully remove the lizards that somehow keep making their way into my living room so they don’t get hurt by my dogs), I doubt ANet sees things the way you do. If they banned people for trying things out and then reporting them as bugs then they would get drastically fewer bug reports, which would hurt them in the long run.

Miku.6297

Been asking this to people saying this and not getting a response. Does being able to use a skin/armor graphic in a game where graphic is the end game goal not count as an advantage?

Example: If there were some way to unlock every single weapon/armor skin without having to earn them, would people consider using it an exploit? They couldn’t sell or trade any of them and all they are is graphics (same as this).

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

If there were some way to unlock every single weapon/armor skin without having to earn them, would people consider using it an exploit? They couldn’t sell or trade any of them and all they are is graphics (same as this).

Because the skins in game are also connected to collections and those collections’ rewards can in some cases provide an advantage to the player in terms of farming and therefore increase their abilities beyond other players in the economy, then yes, that would be an exploit and therfore Anet would be completely justified in punishing the account/account holder.

But that is not the same as this. This was a bug in the client, and though not reported immediately by the player, it gave the player in no way, shape or form an advantage. In point of fact, due to the shear volume of whispers the player says they experienced, it was a distinct disadvantage to game play.

(edited by Cherokeewill.7504)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Been asking this to people saying this and not getting a response. Does being able to use a skin/armor graphic in a game where graphic is the end game goal not count as an advantage?

Example: If there were some way to unlock every single weapon/armor skin without having to earn them, would people consider using it an exploit? They couldn’t sell or trade any of them and all they are is graphics (same as this).

This.

Even so, it was unlocked in his wardrobe. He tried it on at a cost of in game resources to himself. Has since bug reported it. He cannot change it himself without spending a resource.

I don’t think this is ban worthy even if it technically is an exploit. I hope that Anet can revert the change for him or something.

Beldin.5498

Its an exploit if you have to do very specific stuff to achieve that .. its not an exploit
if it happens just because you logged in an played the game “normally”.

Thats the big difference .. and heck .. it was a BETA .. betas are also there to find out
bugs and exploits and then post them so the devs can fix them.

Posted by: EnlightenedNavigator.8296

EnlightenedNavigator.8296

A certain level of logic is needed when trying to dish out punishment… If you are in a car and speeding at 10 over the limit, your fine is going to be less than if you are speeding 25+ over the limit. Simple example that shows the use of logic when it comes to punishing someone. Now, assuming that this actually is an exploit as defined by arena net, this person IS WEARING AN ARMOR SKIN…. do you understand? Does that logically constitute a ban? Utilizing A PURELY COSMETIC CHANGE does not provide any financial or tactical gain in guild wars 2. Therefore, it does not effect anyone else in the game. They are not gaining access to better stats. They are not stealing from other players. They are not gaining any kind of currency whatsoever. This is just a cosmetic change to their character that was unintended by arena net. It does not constitute a ban, nor does it constitute much of anything else. The skins should be removed, obviously. But that is it.

It’s made from scratch, so it holds more personal value.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I wonder if it’s a bug with the second round of beta stress testing. I was in the earlier round and not a single item I got unlocked for me (Not even Kryta’s Embrace axe we got). Weird.

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

I would have done the same thing probably if I saw a new set of armor unlocked in the wardrobe, I wouldn’t call finding an unlocked armor skins in my wardrobe and equipping it an exploit. Now if I had done something purposely to unlock them, then maybe that would be an exploit

I don’t know what is wrong with some people around here, it seems like every other time I come here, there’s someone crying for a ban on something stupid.

For all we know, maybe Anet gave it as a reward to people who participated in the beta since we have no official word one way or the other, I doubt this is the case though.

Posted by: Magnnus.5169

Magnnus.5169

Even if players did put on this armor on purpose. It’s just a skin… Seems harsh to ban them.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I do not think players should be banned for this. I do think that ANet should remove these skins from all players across the board.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!