S: Account Bound WPs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

To the people who believe people should get no rewards whatsoever if WP’s are unlocked.

No rewards whatsoever, despite putting time and effort into it? No rewards, only because 25% of the total is automatically unlocked for you? No rewards because you can get to the places you need to be faster? Toned down rewards, maybe. No rewards, hell no. Almost nobody does anything if there isn’t some kind of reward tied to it, especially if it’s repeatable content. If it’d be an accountwide unlock, that would basically lock everyone who uses it out of creating (more) legendaries. It almost sounds as if people who have done all the work before (several times even, maybe) don’t want others to have a small advantage they didn’t have way back when.

Fine. Give them 1G.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No.

You want map completion? Go do it.

If mapping in GW2 is such a hassle that you’d be willing to PAY for it to be done, I’d love to see you go map in GW1.

(For the record, I’ve done map completion in GW2 18×.)

Oh dear gods…GW1. cringe

To the people who believe people should get no rewards whatsoever if WP’s are unlocked.

No rewards whatsoever, despite putting time and effort into it? No rewards, only because 25% of the total is automatically unlocked for you? No rewards because you can get to the places you need to be faster? Toned down rewards, maybe. No rewards, hell no. Almost nobody does anything if there isn’t some kind of reward tied to it, especially if it’s repeatable content. If it’d be an accountwide unlock, that would basically lock everyone who uses it out of creating (more) legendaries. It almost sounds as if people who have done all the work before (several times even, maybe) don’t want others to have a small advantage they didn’t have way back when.

Many of us are not saying no rewards. We are saying remove the map completion reward, which gives:

• Coins (amount scales with the level of the area)
  • Experience (10% of level at the time map was completed)
  • 2 random pieces of equipment (approximate to level of the area)
  • 1 Transmutation Charge or 1 Black Lion Chest Key.
  • 40 random crafting materials, 40 Map Currency or 20 random ingredients available in the zone

And remove the world completion reward:

• 2 Gifts of Exploration (for full completion on one character).
  • A star next to the character’s name, viewable by other players

Working off the assumption that this is item would be character (not account) specific, and the account wouldn’t have access to it until at least 1 character has map completion the “long” way, then

• The title Been There, Done That, available to all characters on the account, and the corresponding achievement (awarded for map completion counted account-wide)
  • The Map Completion Account Medal

would already be achieved and therefore no longer applicable as they are account bound rewards.

And being character specific, it would give the player the option to chase world completion on another character if they needed the gifts for another legendary. The choice, going this route, would always lie with the player.

Players would still get rewards for doing hearts, completing events, killing mobs, etc as per normal play.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I have opted to not do hearts, POI, and vistas on most of my characters. Should I get the rewards for map completion anyway?

I have opted to not compete in spvp, should I be given the rewards for winning a tournament anyway?

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

This can be gated to only ppl that have done map completion before on all maps an X amount of times, not for new players, or ppl that have never done map completion on all maps.

Map completion is gated behind actually getting off your butt & mapping.

As it should be.

Headdesk

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

This can be gated to only ppl that have done map completion before on all maps an X amount of times, not for new players, or ppl that have never done map completion on all maps.

As it should be.

Ok, you do understand this is for WP only, you will not get XP attached to them and you would still need to do poi, vistas, hearts, etc.

Saying that you can just run around mindless getting the WP proves the point that it isn’t fun after the 3+ time you have run to get them. Witch is the reason I only use my character with map completion in PvE.

oshilator.4681

As it should be.

Ok, you do understand this is for WP only, you will not get XP attached to them and you would still need to do poi, vistas, hearts, etc.

Saying that you can just run around mindless getting the WP proves the point that it isn’t fun after the 3+ time you have run to get them. Witch is the reason I only use my character with map completion in PvE.

My point still stands. You want waypoints? Run to them.

Headdesk

Jhoul.6923

As it should be.

My point still stands. You want waypoints? Run to them.

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

I’m not talking the whole map. nor POI, Vistas, HPs… just the WPs.

Running from place to place is boring to do Map completion, this way you will have an option.

I would even pay gems/money for this.

Sounds like pay to win to me.
Running from place to place IS map completion. What do you think a map is?

Why not just ask to buy map completion itself in the gem store? Think how much faster that would be……

oshilator.4681

Running from place to place is boring to do Map completion, this way you will have an option.

Why not just ask to buy map completion itself in the gem store? Think how much faster that would be……

That’s basically what the OP is asking for.

Headdesk

Jhoul.6923

Uffff, if it where for me. I would remove map completion reward after the first time completed and implement the rewards to the Map participation Reward after that, this way ppl would be required to do events, go to various vistas and poi, etc to get them in the map participation rewards as “map ascended rewards” or whatever name you prefer.

(edited by Jhoul.6923)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m fine with getting all waypoints on alts through some mechanism, but like the others I say, no Map Completion Rewards and no Gift of Exploration on chars that have paid for unlocked waypoints. Those rewards should be reserved for the chars that have actually done the work of full map completion. The unlocked waypoints can be for those that have alts they want to use to get around the map easily to join up with guildies/friends.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Another “I’m too lazy to play the game” thread. It takes no time at all to grab waypoints. I grabbed every non HoT HC in around 6 hours with my rev. It would take a lot less to grab the important waypoints in game. If you want it, go get it. Stop being lazy and asking people to do the work for you. Next thing you’ll be asking for is a a button you press that will instantly kill any mob you encounter, because you’ve killed over 15,000 why should you kill it again?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Another “I’m too lazy to play the game” thread. It takes no time at all to grab waypoints. I grabbed every non HoT HC in around 6 hours with my rev. It would take a lot less to grab the important waypoints in game. If you want it, go get it. Stop being lazy and asking people to do the work for you. Next thing you’ll be asking for is a a button you press that will instantly kill any mob you encounter, because you’ve killed over 15,000 why should you kill it again?

+1

Just a flesh wound.3589

Amen! Say it like it is Brother!

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

So you support the idea of some players having an advantage over others. My questions are, should some players have an advantage over others in pvp since they have already done pvp x amount of hours? Should some servers have an advantage over other servers in WvW since said server has more people putting in more hours and time? Keep in mind these said advantages of course can be bought through the gem store.

@BrotherBelial simply the best way to say it. TY

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

danielrjones.8759

Oh and Anet if you do allow people to buy their way through the game. There are some pvp skins I would like to have but to lazy to earn, Make them available in the gem store.

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

Right. I guess most people didn’t read the part where I said I’m not for this unlocking WP thing at all. I’m with BrotherBelial on this one: get off your kitten and do the work! All I was saying is that people still deserve rewards for doing 75% of the content, just not the same reward as people doing all 100% by themselves. And that was in direct reply to someone who said people shouldn’t get any rewards for map completion at all if their WP’s are all unlocked automatically. That just makes it sound as if said person doesn’t think they deserve it because they didn’t do all the work he/she did. Doing 75% of a task is still getting off your kitten , and still deserves a reward, not no reward at all.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Right. I guess most people didn’t read the part where I said I’m not for this unlocking WP thing at all. I’m with BrotherBelial on this one: get off your kitten and do the work! All I was saying is that people still deserve rewards for doing 75% of the content, just not the same reward as people doing all 100% by themselves. And that was in direct reply to someone who said people shouldn’t get any rewards for map completion at all if their WP’s are all unlocked automatically. That just makes it sound as if said person doesn’t think they deserve it because they didn’t do all the work he/she did. Doing 75% of a task is still getting off your kitten , and still deserves a reward, not no reward at all.

Nope. Doing 75% of the work needed is not doing 100% and shouldn’t get 100% of the rewards.

Unlocking waypoints on alts should be a convenience for those who don’t want to do map completion on alts and can’t get themselves out to grab waypoints because it’s too boring/takes too long/whatever. It shouldn’t be an option for those to bypass doing a substantial portion of the work, which 25% is, yet get full rewards.

ANet may give it to you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

For those that say it’s only 25% and those who do map completion after buying waypoints should still get Map Completion Rewards and Gifts of Exploration, how about looking at it from this perspective.

If you count cities there are 30 PvE maps that need to be done. What would you say to someone who suggested that you do 75% of the maps, we’ll say 23 maps, and when you do, you get Map Completion Rewards from the 7 maps you haven’t done and the Gifts of Exploration as well as full unlocks of those maps. It’s still the same percent of work argued about in this thread, only shifted to different areas.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

More and more topics like this. A symptom of instant 80’s I think. I’ve done it 18 times now, and I still say no to these suggestions.

Anything worth having is worth working for, including map completion.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

BrotherBelial.3094

takes a bow

No problem guys, just wondering if it will get me infracted lol.

But in all seriousness, something like this would just open the door for other things. The level 80 booster I hope will never go into the gem store. It would be the start of a slippery slope.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

LanfearShadowflame.3189

takes a bow

But in all seriousness, something like this would just open the door for other things. The level 80 booster I hope will never go into the gem store. It would be the start of a slippery slope.

I did the last time I put it that way. Thus why I approached it differently this time (and many others). But, I support you either way.

Yes, it absolutely opens the path to other things. They’ve said that they don’t have any intention of selling the lvl 80 boost in the store, but whose to say that won’t change? I’m very concerned about that possibility.

BrotherBelial.3094

takes a bow

I did the last time I put it that way. Thus why I approached it differently this time (and many others). But, I support you either way.

Yes, it absolutely opens the path to other things. They’ve said that they don’t have any intention of selling the lvl 80 boost in the store, but whose to say that won’t change? I’m very concerned about that possibility.

Yes, I know they have “No plans”, but we all know plans can and will change. I just hope this is not one of them. Same for anything that “takes away” from or “cheapens” the effort people up.into the game. There are enough short cuts to 80 as it is.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

takes a bow

Yes, I know they have “No plans”, but we all know plans can and will change. I just hope this is not one of them. Same for anything that “takes away” from or “cheapens” the effort people up.into the game. There are enough short cuts to 80 as it is.

I agree. I can work with things like tomes, and writs, and such. Cause you still need to “do” stuff involving game play for them.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

For those that say it’s only 25% and those who do map completion after buying waypoints should still get Map Completion Rewards and Gifts of Exploration, how about looking at it from this perspective.

It’s a pretty big ‘only’ too – since once you’ve got all waypoints unlocked, you can quickly zip between points on each match to fill in the blanks, saving more than 25% of time needed to do map completion.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

oshilator.4681

This. So much this.

Headdesk

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

I don’t see why it has to be lazy necessarily. Just make it a mastery that unlocks after X world map completions and then you play toward earning that. Maybe a “cartographer” mastery or something.

BrotherBelial.3094

I don’t see why it has to be lazy necessarily. Just make it a mastery that unlocks after X world map completions and then you play toward earning that. Maybe a “cartographer” mastery or something.

The only problem I see with this is the lack of mastery points, also, this would mean ANet need to find a way to track how many world completion a player has done. Then how many would be fair? 2, 3, 4 times?

DaikonSamurai.6714

The only problem I see with this is the lack of mastery points, also, this would mean ANet need to find a way to track how many world completion a player has done. Then how many would be fair? 2, 3, 4 times?

Pretty sure ANet could figure all that stuff out…

TheNecrosanct.4028

Nope. Doing 75% of the work needed is not doing 100% and shouldn’t get 100% of the rewards.

Unlocking waypoints on alts should be a convenience for those who don’t want to do map completion on alts and can’t get themselves out to grab waypoints because it’s too boring/takes too long/whatever. It shouldn’t be an option for those to bypass doing a substantial portion of the work, which 25% is, yet get full rewards.

Now read again the sentence I made bold (in my post, not yours) and tell me where I said doing 75% is deserving of 100% rewards.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Now read again the sentence I made bold (in my post, not yours) and tell me where I said doing 75% is deserving of 100% rewards.

Then what are you even talking about? Those who have wps unlocked like this can do the maps and they will get hearts unlocked to use as merchants, XP if they are below level 80 or if they haven’t done the Tyrian Masteries yet, karma from doing hearts and the value of mats gathered. Those are the appropriate rewards for doing 75% of the maps. No rework of map completion rewards to cater to those who can’t do the little bit of effort to run to waypoints needed.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

All I have seen in this thread is “Well I did it (x) times, so everyone can do it.” and comparing map completion (which doesn’t affect anyone else but the player in question) to things that are even TP based. (Wardrobe unlocks, pvp rewards). And if you really want to say that all the mats/items the person could get from doing map completion with free WPs would destroy the market… Do you really think someone who hates map completion this much, and is only doing it for the gift of exploration for legendaries is going to spend the time doing it over and over for mats?

If someone wants access to the WPs after they already did full map completion, let them. It’s not going to harm you in anyway. Is really having any/all of the WPs on a map on a new map completion character really going to change things for you?

Though, I have no idea why all of you are arguing. Anet would never put this in.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They should make it a gold sink at 100x the price. Don’t have that waypoint? Pay ~5g. World completion could be required to make it an easy account unlock, or it could just be a standard feature.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

All I have seen in this thread is “Well I did it (x) times, so everyone can do it.” and comparing map completion (which doesn’t affect anyone else but the player in question) to things that are even TP based. (Wardrobe unlocks, pvp rewards). And if you really want to say that all the mats/items the person could get from doing map completion with free WPs would destroy the market… Do you really think someone who hates map completion this much, and is only doing it for the gift of exploration for legendaries is going to spend the time doing it over and over for mats?

If someone wants access to the WPs after they already did full map completion, let them. It’s not going to harm you in anyway. Is really having any/all of the WPs on a map on a new map completion character really going to change things for you?

Though, I have no idea why all of you are arguing. Anet would never put this in.

So you support Anet adding a permanent consumable that provides 100% movement speed on open world PvE maps? After all, it won’t affect anyone else so why should anyone against it care?

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m sure they could if they where inclined. I can’t see them doing it though. A lot of work for no real reason.

DaikonSamurai.6714

I’m sure they could if they where inclined. I can’t see them doing it though. A lot of work for no real reason.

No more work than creating any other mastery. And for no real reason is subjective. Topics like these keep popping up because there is a demand for them.

TheNecrosanct.4028

Then what are you even talking about? Those who have wps unlocked like this can do the maps and they will get hearts unlocked to use as merchants, XP if they are below level 80 or if they haven’t done the Tyrian Masteries yet, karma from doing hearts and the value of mats gathered. Those are the appropriate rewards for doing 75% of the maps. No rework of map completion rewards to cater to those who can’t do the little bit of effort to run to waypoints needed.

It’s simple. If you read the initial post I responded to, you know what I’m talking about. That person suggested that people who have their WP’s automatically unlocked should not deserve ANY rewards for doing the other 75% of world completion by themselves, apparently because they can go everywhere on the map quickly by using the WP’s instead of walking. No rewards whatsoever also means no Gifts of Exploration to use for legendaries (and/or perhaps crafting that globe decoration as a Scribe). It’s fine if you respond to a response, but do keep track of what’s been said.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s simple. If you read the initial post I responded to, you know what I’m talking about. That person suggested that people who have their WP’s automatically unlocked should not deserve ANY rewards for doing the other 75% of world completion by themselves, apparently because they can go everywhere on the map quickly by using the WP’s instead of walking. No rewards whatsoever also means no Gifts of Exploration to use for legendaries (and/or perhaps crafting that globe decoration as a Scribe). It’s fine if you respond to a response, but do keep track of what’s been said.

Ok.

However I feel that they don’t deserve any special consideration for buying a way to have content already done. Anything they get while completing a map is the reward for 75% of the work, which is XP, karma, heart merchants unlocked and any mats gained while doing it.

This sort of thing should only be for the convenience of people who don’t want to do map completion but only want to have the ability to waypoint on alts. If they are going to do map completion, it should be 100 percent maps and 100 percent rewards.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Definitely no Gifts of Exploration on characters that would use an item to gain all WP’s without discovering them.

Gift of Exploration is the reward for doing map completion to 100%. Not the reward for doing 75% of it.

However, since 75% is more than 50%, I would compromise and say such a person can get 1 Gift of Exploration instead of the usual 2. Just as long as all other rewards are adjusted such that overall a player only receives 75% of the total reward for map completion.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Hmm,

It occurs to me that with a significant monetary investment and the assistance of a friend, one can already achieve what the OP seeks given a relatively short amount of time.

A stockpile of teleport to friend devices and a friend, with all waypoints unlocked, willing to port all over the map for you would allow you to unlock all WP far more quickly than running to them yourself.

So, OP, you can already buy this. Go for it.

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

I would be happy to have the option to unlock all WPs on an alt (assuming you already have at least one character with world completion) for the convenience. Couldn’t care less about map completion/rewards.

Otherwise I just keep swapping to my 100% map completed character if I only have a few hours of gametime to get all the things I’d like to get done and my alts don’t get as much playtime as I’d like.

danielrjones.8759

It almost sounds as if people who have done all the work before (several times even, maybe) don’t want others to have a small advantage they didn’t have way back when.

I don’t have a problem with earning rewards for work that is started and finished by a person. If anet could hammer out some kind of deal to make all things equal it would be great, like perhaps 50%-75% rewards. But zero map completion rewards since they wouldn’t have completed the map.

However I can’t get past the fact you support giving an advantage to some over others. That comments just reeks of entitlement.

BrotherBelial.3094

No more work than creating any other mastery. And for no real reason is subjective. Topics like these keep popping up because there is a demand for them.

The same as people.keep asking for.mounts, a DX upgrade and weapon dying. ANet have said they are not happening, yet we still get people asking for them. Just because there is “demand” fir something by no means makes it a good idea, or something that should happen.

As for no more work, you know alot about how the game engine works then. And how easy or hard some things are to implement. If you remember they wanted to do many thing with the mastery tracks, but a lot of what they wanted to do never made it. Maybe it was not as easy to do as they first thought, or I may of just not been the right fit. Nothing is simply added to a game.

If it did get added, I’d bet money we’d have people complaining about how they have to fill out the track. There where enough when HoT lunched.

Definitely no Gifts of Exploration on characters that would use an item to gain all WP’s without discovering them.

Gift of Exploration is the reward for doing map completion to 100%. Not the reward for doing 75% of it.

However, since 75% is more than 50%, I would compromise and say such a person can get 1 Gift of Exploration instead of the usual 2. Just as long as all other rewards are adjusted such that overall a player only receives 75% of the total reward for map completion.

The way points might.only be 25%, but they make the remaining 75% way quicker to get. This is just lazy game playing. I don’t understand that people just want things handed to them.

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

DaikonSamurai.6714

The same as people.keep asking for.mounts, a DX upgrade and weapon dying. ANet have said they are not happening, yet we still get people asking for them. Just because there is “demand” fir something by no means makes it a good idea, or something that should happen.

As for no more work, you know alot about how the game engine works then. And how easy or hard some things are to implement. If you remember they wanted to do many thing with the mastery tracks, but a lot of what they wanted to do never made it. Maybe it was not as easy to do as they first thought, or I may of just not been the right fit. Nothing is simply added to a game.

If it did get added, I’d bet money we’d have people complaining about how they have to fill out the track. There where enough when HoT lunched.

Doesn’t necessarily make it a bad idea either. If there’s demand there’s potential to consider it.

No, I am a dumb player and know little of what’s difficult and easy to implement in game. Just saying I think it could work as a mastery, more masteries are probably going to be made, and I see no reason a cartographer mastery would be outside of ANet’s capabilities than any other mastery.

Anything that gets added has people complaining. If you feel people should stop being lazy and just “work” for things they want I’m sure you’d be ok with people “working” to earn a mastery as well.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Anyone know how big the entire GW2 world is , like in sq kms?

BrotherBelial.3094

Anyone know how big the entire GW2 world is , like in sq kms?

Someone has worked it out in the past, I can’t find the post. But it wasn’t that big, but not small.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This topic reminds me of the old adage. Give someone an inch and they’ll take a mile.

Originally, a long time ago people asked for WvW to be removed from map completion. Now it’s all waypoints given to them because it’s just to much trouble to do them and today there’s a topic on the front page where someone wants the hearts to be account bound because it’s too much trouble to do them with map completion.

(Renown Heart Quests.)

Hello, I’m hoping that ArenaNet may see this and consider my feedback. I have been playing GW2 since the start and I have enjoyed everything in it when I first started. However, after getting 100% map completion the first time, the second and third times isn’t as fun because of the Heart Quests which basically just fill the bar. I still enjoy doing mapping and especially the Events. From my understanding GW2 originally didn’t have Heart Quests, they only added it after the closed Beta because players felt lost and didn’t know where to go. So, my thought on the matter is this. Heart Quests are fun the first time and it’s helpful for the new players as some sort of guide, but after that, it becomes serious and boring especially when they’re no events around them. which led me to think, won’t be better if the Heart Quests were account bound? Personal I think the answer is yes, but if anyone else would like to add to it or has a different view that I didn’t consider. They’re welcome to share and let me know why this may be a good idea or a terrible one.

Thanks

It’s getting ridiculous. Get out there and do it if you want the goodies. Quit asking for the game to give you a “win button.”

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Kinda “Pay to Not Play”

Jhoul.6923

They could add something to compensate the work.

Like require ppl to tag every WP in a map without porting in one go to get the unlocking WP part of map completion.

This way ppl that want the same, mindless content of running to every WP will have just that, and others that have unlocked 100% various times can just have fun completing Journeys with their new alts

Is this a middle ground of both sides?

Just a flesh wound.3589

They could add something to compensate the work.

Like require ppl to tag every WP in a map without porting in one go to get the unlocking WP part of map completion.

This way ppl that want the same, mindless content of running to every WP will have just that, and others that have unlocked 100% various times can just have fun completing Journeys with their new alts

Is this a middle ground of both sides?

Here’s another middle ground.

All waypoints for those that aren’t doing map completion on that alt but want easy access to everywhere in game. Having that disables map completion bonuses.

Other than that, full map completion to get full rewards.

If you want to do map completion to get the rewards, don’t ask for ANet to allow you to buy part of it. its not that hard to swing by the waypoints while getting the hearts, vistas and points of interest.

ANet may give it to you.