Skill or Magic Find?

Skill or Magic Find?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s, like, a trend. Your(and my) logic about mfind gear doesn’t work. Today I finally found the time to run fotm 8(because my girl is supporting alts and I need them tokens). Me in Knight set, a guy in mfind set(at least the runes, that parrot is hard to miss) and 3 other guys. Guess who spent half the run on the floor? And guess who kept hitting the adds when the fire bird went in the bubble? I actually had to resu the mfind guy midfight because I couldn’t solodown the bubble fast enough and without him we were looking at an endless fight for obvious reasons. The other I just left on the floor, cause they were all so useful in their non-mfind gear(I know at least one of them wasn’t in mfind, cause he decided to QQ bout the parrot).

Your logic isn’t any better.

Had the guy done that fractal before?
Is he even any good?
Would it have been any different if he was in glass cannon armor?
Would the extra defense had made a difference if he was equipped like you?

The main issue that I see with those against MF users is that they assume that the gear makes the player. If they have the best stats for the slot then they’re the best player or will “carry their weight.”

Player skill holds more weight than stats. If you do any sort of pvp then you’ll quickly realize this. The same can easily be applied to pve as well. The aspect that people from both sides of the argument fail to consider is the actual impact in stats and whether the difference between the two actually causes a substantial hindrance.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

Your logic isn’t any better.

Had the guy done that fractal before?
Is he even any good?
Would it have been any different if he was in glass cannon armor?
Would the extra defense had made a difference if he was equipped like you?

The main issue that I see with those against MF users is that they assume that the gear makes the player. If they have the best stats for the slot then they’re the best player or will “carry their weight.”

Player skill holds more weight than stats. If you do any sort of pvp then you’ll quickly realize this. The same can easily be applied to pve as well. The aspect that people from both sides of the argument fail to consider is the actual impact in stats and whether the difference between the two actually causes a substantial hindrance.

I think you misunderstood. I was agreeing with you. Oh, and the answer to the questions? The non-mfind guys were the floor lovers and they were the ones failing on the fire bird. The chances of 3 separate people getting to lvl 8 fotm without encountering the fire fractal is…astronomical.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

What is the context of Legendary weapons though? From what I’ve seen, it’s closer to the word definition than to what players seem to think it is… And we don’t usually find real legendary stuff because we don’t live in fantasy world(which makes most legends just glorified fairy tales). But people do often find exqusite items in random places. Smb found a Stradivarius violin on the street, antique dealers visit flea markets looking for valuables etc.

Well the context for me would be the game environment and “carrot on a stick”. Obviously it doesn’t typically work that way either in any kind of tale or real life – there is only one Excalibur and no recipe for it to make another one.

Interesting enough – total different take though – some heroes are given the items before they set out to do the task there is. But I guess that might not work so well in this context of gaming.

I doubt anybody plays GW2 just for the TP flipping. I mean, there are enough economy-oriented games out there to satisfy people who only need that. It’s a very niche market with a limited application in more or less standard MMOs.

Same could be said for the “casual” player. At the end of the day my understanding is that Anet wanted to create a “world” that we like to live in.
No matter how you put it, basically if it’s supposed to be a carrot on a stick then it should take a while – no matter what route you take towards it. Otherwise – especially if the favour is perceived too far on one aspect – it creates unrest.

It’s, like, a trend. Your(and my) logic about mfind gear doesn’t work. (…)

Mhh, perhaps it should be taken out of the gear then, add it as an enchantment that goes on top of it? Some crafted, some to be found in dungeons, some WvW? Just throwing a spontaneous thought out there.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

The damage you lose depends on your build, traits etc.
But going full MF vs full berserker results in a missed 40% crit bonus damage.

There you have the ‘impact’ noone gave numbers for.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

I’m looking for something on par with Naxxramas 40-man in WoW. Naxxramas took two and a half months for the first guild to clear. That’s called difficulty. Why can’t we see fights designed so well?? That was in 2006… it’s almost 2013 ANet.

Although I agree with this for the most part, but the majority spoke in WoW about only the hard core “no life” players (minority) got to see that content and the “care bear” casual players (majority) who spend the same amount of money on the game did not. This is why WoW is currently a press 2 and win epics raid design. (BTW in 2006 I was in the hard core no lifer section of this player base and wanted it to stay just like it was)

I would love to see these types of scenarios in GW2 but I just do not think the system supports it. Yet.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

I doubt anybody plays GW2 just for the TP flipping. I mean, there are enough economy-oriented games out there to satisfy people who only need that. It’s a very niche market with a limited application in more or less standard MMOs.

It’s called E-kitten.
I’ll dance on LA’s rooftops if TP purchased items won’t be reselleable.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: daemon.1387

daemon.1387

Yeah the warrior that soloed lupicus should probably get a precursor. That’s the type of skill that should be rewarded.

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

Yeah the warrior that soloed lupicus should probably get a precursor. That’s the type of skill that should be rewarded.

I got impossible boy on Super Meat boy, I should get a precursor for that.

Muscle memory isn’t an achievement.

Skill or Magic Find?

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Then what is?
Everything is muscle memory ultimately.

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

Then what is?

Ok allow me to rephrase that, repeated muscle memory in an un-dynamic routine is not an achievement.

Skill or Magic Find?

BUTTERBLUME.3217

It shows you spent time, like everything you can ‘accomplish’ in this or any game does.

So if not time spent, what would qualify a player for obtaining a precursor?

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

It shows you spent time, like everything you can ‘accomplish’ in this or any game does.

Gold.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

They should just add a personal legendary questline for each weapon. You should be able to do a quest chain for each weapon the class can equip. They should also be non-groupable quests so you must do it on your own so they feel epic and legendary.

It can start by obtaining a precursor, then after many quests (some hard others easier) you should be awarded with a legendary linked to the chain. It could all start from 100% map completion or something.

Nothing legendary whatsoever with the current way legendaries are obtained.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Skill or Magic Find?

TWMagimay.9057

Nothing legendary whatsoever with the current way legendaries are obtained.

That’s because the items themselves are legendary, not the way to obtain them. Duhhh.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

They are? Well yes it does say legendary on them, but they still look like kitten.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

They are? Well yes it does say legendary on them, but they still look like kitten.

Funniest part is that you’d have one too if they weren’t so expensive.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

In this game, anyone can get a legendary. It might take years, but sooner or later, as long as you stick to it, you’ll get one. You can shortcut the process with magic find, farming the right way, playing the TP successfully, buying gold, etc. But everyone can get one -eventually-.

And herein lies the problem. Over time, the number of people with legendaries will increase exponentially. At that point, are they still legendary weapons? Obviously the quality is “Legendary” but do you consider them legendary?

I won’t.

Will people feel special when half the WvW zerg is running around with kewl footsteps too? Glowing trails?

I dont know. For me personally, a skill-based legendary would not only be much more rare and prestigious, it would also serve as a carrot-on-a-stick aimed at improving the skill level of individuals (therefore even improving the metagame).

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

i am a casual.

i spent 2 months earning the 125g i needed for the chosen.

No. No you are not a casual.

yes I am. I play 3-4 hours a day. I am efficient with my time. by comparison I now make 400g a month with the same time played per day. it’s called streamlining my play time. you should try it sometime

3-4 hours a day is not casual. A casual player is more like 8-10 hours a week or less.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

i am a casual.

i spent 2 months earning the 125g i needed for the chosen.

No. No you are not a casual.

yes I am. I play 3-4 hours a day. I am efficient with my time. by comparison I now make 400g a month with the same time played per day. it’s called streamlining my play time. you should try it sometime

3-4 hours a day is not casual. A casual player is more like 8-10 hours a week or less.

mm then a hardcore player is 8-16 hrs a day?
so where am i then? i’ve heard tell that people with 9-5 jobs who play from 6-10 or 10-2 are casuals. i count myself among them. 2 days a week i don’t play at all. that brings my grand total to 15-20 hours a week.

[edit]
not saying i’m skilled, but if i can earn my legendary in 4 months with that little play time with zero magic find…well it means something. i don’t grind either. if i get bored of doing one thing i change it up. rarely do i follow the same routine every day.

(edited by kiba.2768)

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: daemon.1387

daemon.1387

Then what is?

Ok allow me to rephrase that, repeated muscle memory in an un-dynamic routine is not an achievement.

Outside of PvP, you can argue anything controlled by a computer is un-dynamic and is just repeated muscle memory, ie super meat boy, dark souls…etc.

The question is what do you think is the appropriate threshold for determining whether something is ‘dynamic’ enough to warrant a reward? What kind of skill does ANet want to promote?

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

kiba.2768 here plays for 4 months and working towards his legendary.
Let’s say he got it much earlier if the game promoted it based on a long quest, still… wouldn’t take more than a month for him, would it?

What’s next? quest for all legendaries?

They must keep some kind of long-term goal and this is the only way to do.
I really don’t look forward to any precursor quest or anything of the sort, just make precursors more available AND MAKE THEM UNRESELLABLE.

That alone will keep the legendaries at a “decent” price, while still being a long term goal.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

I can’t tell if that’s a jab at me or not. in any case I made myself a goal and I went after it. that’s my m.o. for life in general. if you set yourself a goal. work towards it every day(or not if you want a day off) in time you will complete your goal.

I lurked the forums for a long time before posting and I’ve noticed no difference in people’s attitudes pre and post legendary. people will complain just to be heard. I’ve set myself another goal of getting a beta fractal back piece and bolt in that order. in the time I’ve completed my legendary until now, I’ve already amassed 77g. I can buy bolt in 15-20 days at the rate I’m playing. is there a secret? no. I just don’t give up and flood the forums with negative posts about how out of reach ‘x’ and ‘y’ are.

Skill or Magic Find?

TWMagimay.9057

And what are legendary weapons supposed to look like? Feel free to attach a gif or jpg to your answer.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Groovy.6749

Groovy.6749

ANet is as confused as an angsty teenager. One day it’s “skill”; the other it’s “dedication” through farming…and most of the time it’s an odd mixture of both. That visible and tangible indecision on their part does not make the process of crafting a legendary appealing to me.

I could go on and on like many here have about why they feel this way but let’s be frank: Farming mats with or without skill is not epic, especially when it’s 250 of them per category…

I got my fill of the game , and am currently recharging my MMO batteries playing some rather fantastic single player games. I have no interest in legendary because the journey to getting one does not correspond with the experience that I’ve had of the game. When it gets closer to that, then I’ll consider working towards it. Game itself is really great all around, and its legendary quest could be as well. If it doesn’t change/update/whatever then I’m sure I’ll get there eventually in a year or two, even if I try my best not to.

Plus let’s not forget the stats of a legendary, even if they get bolstered after ascended still mean nothing in terms of content gating. It is utterly pointless, at least in practice. Zero incentive for me to get one. If it does the trick for someone else, then by all means, do it. Fun is a very subjective notion and everyone is going to feel different about different things. To me, it just feels stale.

Frankly, I couldn’t give a kitten
And that, in itself, feels good.

(edited by Groovy.6749)

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

ANet is as confused as an angsty teenager. One day it’s “skill”; the other it’s “dedication” through farming…and most of the time it’s an odd mixture of both. That visible and tangible indecision on their part does not make the process of crafting a legendary appealing to me.

I could go on and on like many here have about why they feel this way but let’s be frank: Farming mats with or without skill is not epic, especially when it’s 250 of them per category…

I got my fill of the game , and am currently recharging my MMO batteries playing some rather fantastic single player games. I have no interest in legendary because the journey to getting one does not correspond with the experience that I’ve had of the game. When it gets closer to that, then I’ll consider working towards it. Game itself is really great all around, and its legendary quest could be as well. If it doesn’t change/update/whatever then I’m sure I’ll get there eventually in a year or two, even if I try my best not to.

Plus let’s not forget the stats of a legendary, even if they get bolstered after ascended still mean nothing in terms of content gating. It is utterly pointless, at least in practice. Zero incentive for me to get one. If it does the trick for someone else, then by all means, do it. Fun is a very subjective notion and everyone is going to feel different about different things. To me, it just feels stale.

At least be honest with yourself.
If all legendaries were worth 10g tomorrow you’d get one in a heartbeat.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Gold.

I think I can quite safely assume that there are a lot more people who have a Legendary than people who have soloed Lupicus. That tells something about that achievement.

Skill or Magic Find?

Horheristo.3607

Gold.

I think I can quite safely assume that there are a lot more people who have a Legendary than people who have soloed Lupicus. That tells something about that achievement.

That the person who soloed Lupicus ran out of things to do in the game, or simply looking for attention.

You really think beating a boss in an MMO solo is much harder than some of the bosses in single player games?
Wow, you really underestimate some of us here.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I admit reading is often harder than soloing Lupicus.

Skill or Magic Find?

Posted by: Groovy.6749

Groovy.6749

At least be honest with yourself.
If all legendaries were worth 10g tomorrow you’d get one in a heartbeat.

Yeah of course, who wouldn’t ? But that’d be even less legendary. Which does not contradict my point. If people want to go for legendary, let them. I am not going to ask ANet to change their mind because of whatever I feel or think. I’m gonna keep playing the game and I will get there eventually. Personally I do not feel the need to have my legendary as soon as possible like some people on the forums seem to.

Now if the legendary’s acquisition was a bit different, then who knows maybe I would feel differently about it. As it stands right now, I have no real desire to get one. Besides my main is a thief and I got the fantastic offer of either getting a wannabe lightsaber dagger….or a “my little pony” shortbow…so I have to admit this might have had an impact on whether I was going to go for legendary.

So to sum it up, for me and my main’s class it’s:

1)a pretty poor skin,
2)stats are pretty much meaningless in GW2 hence the bolstered stats of legendary is entirely pointless (in the games current state)
3)too much effort for too little reward (see 1 and 2 )

This is just my personal opinion on legendary. Of course I will craft one a year or two down the line when I finally get all the materials, but there isn’t enough in it for me to desperately want one as soon as possible.

Besides Anet made it clear it was supposed to be a long term goal, not a 3 or 6 month achievement. So I guess I’m doing it right ?

(edited by Groovy.6749)