So I tried Wildstar and I missed playing GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

For those of you who have played Wildstar, could you please answer the following questions:

1. What is the PvP like, compared to GWII? Is everyone on the same level with the same gear and skills, and can I level up in it?

2. How does the combat feel, compared to GWII? Is it dynamic, fast-phased and varied?

3. What is the transmutation and dye system like, compared to GWII?

4. What are the quests and dynamic events like, compared to GWII?

5. Can you play any way you want while being properly rewarded, like in GWII?
By that I mean quests, events, PvP, exploration etc.

6. Is there a holy trinity, or is it free of roles like in GWII?

I am very interested in Wildstar but I haven’t been able to dig up much information about it. Guess I haven’t looked in the right places.

1. I didn’t play PvP so I can’t comment on the feel, just the basics. There are level brackets and your level and power are equalized within that bracket. Just like SWTOR if you’ve ever played that. Basically a level 10 and level 19 are in the same bracket but everyone get sets to level 15 and their stats are more or less equalized. You do gain gold and experience in PvP so you can choose to fully level up in PvP starting from level 6.

2. I like the combat better in Wildstar. It is more dynamic, more challenging, more varied, and there are trinity roles, which I prefer.

3. Since there is a monthly fee there is no gem store. You can use the costume system to change your gear looks for free at any time. The dye system is similar to GW2’s system except since again there is no gem store so dyes are account bound since they don’t need to drive sales through inconvenience.

4. Quests are traditional MMO style. They have mini stories associated with them more so than other MMO’s. They are pretty varied in what you do, but they are still the traditional model. There are public events which are sort of like the dynamic events of GW2, but larger and very few of them.

5. Exploration is a path, which is its own unique system you’ll have to read about on their website, and it has its own progression associated with it. You can earn XP for quests, killing, and PvP. Crafting has its own progression system that you level up and earn talent points for. Dungeons and adventures are also a good source of XP if you want to level that way.

6. Strict Holy Trinity. That being said the lfg tool is already in game and fully functional and cross server, so I never waited more than 3 minutes to get a full group.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

GW2 is just a casual grindy game with no proper endgame or challanges.

Pretty much. You forgot to mention the cash shop though, where you can buy skins that should’ve been obtainable in game, and cosplay in the LA chat room with your friends.

WoW is a hard-core grindy game with forceable endgame, no combat, no exploration and mounts etc. to purchase even-though it is pay to play.

Wow is less grindy then GW2 currently.

In Wow I gear a character in fully tiered current raid gear in less then half the time it would take me to craft one ascended set. Wow as it stands right now is the most casual friendly game on the market.

Wow has more exploration then GW2 but also is no different. After you go through all the zones there is no reason to do it again on another character unless you want to. All games suffer from that. The only difference is currently GW2 makes you do it multiple times – Wow does not.

You can purchase mounts if you desire in Wow or get them in game. How is that different then our Gem Shop where you can purchase gold to purchase skins on the TP, or use said gold to buy mats to make gear such as ascended?

It’s obvious you dislike Wow and it’s mechanics, but realize this you are truly in the minority. As it stands Wow’s player base still is larger then all other current AAA mmorpgs combined.

You may not like the game but at least get the facts straight.

GW2 is a decent game , but quite frankly as much as I may like the game it will not have the lifespan wow has had if it keeps on it’s current path.

A lot can be said about the above comment…..

1. GW2’s grinding is for 1 set of gear while WoW releases new ones all the time basically, not to mention the fact that they are required for the next content unlike GW.

2. My mount comment was in response to the TP one, you are just qouting sentences out of context.

3. WoW has no exploration than GW2, just because the world is huge doesn’t mean you can do anything.

4. I don’t dislike a game that I played since vanilla until Wotlk. I lost interest when the original warcraft story was over however none can say WoW wasn’t great and it still is however, my years there were enough more or less and it was time to go on. No there will never be a game as successful as WoW however, meaning GW2 is a failure because of that, is also a misconception.

There isn’t any compitive game in the market atm and WoW have been there for too long. People who like that style will play it, and people who doesn’t may play this. There is no point of arguing about how trash GW2 because WoW is too great cause there is as many flaws in GW2 as in WoW.

1)GW2 you were forced to log in during a 2 week period or miss the content forever. That seems a lot more strict in terms of whats “required” for content

2)Your mount sentence was quoted exactly as you implied it. Do not use statements if you don’t want them quoted back in exactly the context you posted them in.

3)Wow has just as much exploration as GW2. If standing on top of and clicking F is your definition of exploration Webster’s would like a word with you.

4)You continually bash Wow and try to use it to enforce a positive light on GW2. Both games have merits and both games are flawed. But, as it stands right now Wow offers for more to both casuals and hard core players then GW2.

You obviously have a misconception about my remarks on these forums. I simply tell it like it is in hopes then Anet get’s it’s head out of its you know what and does something with this game.

The game is loosing players whether you like to admit it or not. I myself enjoy the game but am also realistic about what it offers and what it doesn’t.

People have to be honest and realize that Anet has to do something and do it soon to keep people interested because when I logged on today the game was almost identical to when I log on the game a year ago.

That is a VERY large problem.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Pretty much. You forgot to mention the cash shop though, where you can buy skins that should’ve been obtainable in game, and cosplay in the LA chat room with your friends.

WoW is a hard-core grindy game with forceable endgame, no combat, no exploration and mounts etc. to purchase even-though it is pay to play.

1. At least it has endgame.

2. combat is respective to the user. Opinions vary. However, combat in GW2 is absolutely face roll and requires little to no coordination (outside of sPvP). Everything in the game can be done with just 1 set of gear (zerker) that has not changed. There is little to no gear diversity in any mode of PvE

3.There is no exploration in GW2 either. You get your map completed (took me 1 week for PvE and a few days for WvW maps) And you will never go to those portions in the map ever again unless they give it meaninful content. Vast majority of the population is in frostgorge/queensdale zerging or vigil keep. I’m not sure what exploration you are talking about here. Also, who cares? If you wanna really explore and be immersed, go play Skyrim. This is an MMO.

4. Mounts – again opinion based. some ppl like it some don’t. Meh personally. has no real impact on a successful MMO or not.

5. WoW will always have more users than GW2. Just a fact. It’s dwindling no doubt, but you are sadly mistaken if you think GW2 is even close to their current population…..Theres quite a few dead servers here in gw2.

The good thing about GW2 is i don’t feel pressured to keep playing…. no sub so its nice to have that luxury to come back whenever I feel like the game will be worth my time

However, you are crazy if you don’t believe the releases of ESO/Wildstar/EQN and even Diablo 3 xpac will not have an impact on GW2 population….

At the moment, I personally don’t feel like theres a reason to keep playing (besides WvW season…or until they announce actual meaningful content additions to the game

I think the real key thing in what your saying is the last sentence
“or until they announce actual meaningful content additions to the game”
thats the major problem with GW2

its just old, and they keep adding small things and tweaks to old content. Gw2 needs to expand, and evolve.

• Dynamic events were great, but they never evolved them past random kill quests by and large. The best dynamic events day 1 are still the best dynamic events 1.5 years later, except they are now old.
  • exploration, map design, reward for exploring was really good, but they didnt create anthing new and interesting in these places, even the places you are supposed to want to go back to, suck due to lack of rewards and nothing happening when you get there
  • skills and traits finally making some headway here, but still not much more added

the point is, GW2 is not giving people interesting new things to do, and they are not building on their old systems and evolving. Right now it looks like other companies may take the best of gw2 and run with it if they dont get it together.

When i play other MMOs i tend to realize gw2 has a lot going for it, when i play guild wars 2 though, i tend to realize there is nothing new, and nothing better than what was there day 1 in most cases.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

@Skitz

1. I never really understood this idea of an endgame. You’re basically saying that 90% of the game should just be forgotten about after a certain point of progression when there’s a defined ‘endgame’.

The endgame for me in GW1 is just doing whatever I want, like how I played Skyrim.

2. Not requiring co-ordination really doesn’t mean it’s faceroll. Vindictus required next to zero co-ordination but it’s one of the most challenging games I’ve played, in a fair way (ie no IWTBTG stuff). And there are plenty of co ordination in the game anyways if you want to do it, and sometimes it’s even nessecary.

3. I want to point out your last sentence. ‘who cares?’. Not trying to be rude but if you don’t care, you clearly won’t find any. Also, so what if it’s a MMO? Why dues that mean it can’t have an exploration element to it? Especially it’s a living world to explore as opposed to a console game’s ‘dead’ world.

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

@Skitz

1. I never really understood this idea of an endgame. You’re basically saying that 90% of the game should just be forgotten about after a certain point of progression when there’s a defined ‘endgame’.

The endgame for me in GW1 is just doing whatever I want, like how I played Skyrim.

2. Not requiring co-ordination really doesn’t mean it’s faceroll. Vindictus required next to zero co-ordination but it’s one of the most challenging games I’ve played, in a fair way (ie no IWTBTG stuff). And there are plenty of co ordination in the game anyways if you want to do it, and sometimes it’s even nessecary.

3. I want to point out your last sentence. ‘who cares?’. Not trying to be rude but if you don’t care, you clearly won’t find any. Also, so what if it’s a MMO? Why dues that mean it can’t have an exploration element to it? Especially it’s a living world to explore as opposed to a console game’s ‘dead’ world.

These guys are going to complain about anything. It’s what drives them. Makes them feel useful. Yea, most of the time they are absolutely wrong, but at least it’s actually a VAST minority of the players who play the game. One week they are complaining that something is too hard, the next week everything is too easy. They complain about only having two weeks to do stuff when 90% of the living story content was available for 4 week periods or more. They say the game lacks diversity in combat, but yet they don’t want their zerker builds touched because that’s all they play across the board. They implore that they need a fat, juicy carrot on a stick in front of them at all times, but yet they can’t ever see said carrot when it’s there.

You will find very little sense in this forum.

(edited by The Revenant.4970)

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I dont like Wildstar at all,in fact that game has everything i hate about MMO games…ugly cartoonish animation,terrible skill casting animations,weird looking ugly race’s ,futuristic setting.Besides all of this it doesnt offer anything new.I don t know why whould any1 play that game,i wont touch it even if it goes Free To Play,better play EQ next.And i agree that GW2 is far more superior then WildStar.Only problem that GW2 have is lack of permanent content,lack of exploring this beautifull world.Rest of the reasons people are complaining makes no sense and are just simple raging on the forum.

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I tired it this past weekend.

Frankly it isn’t a bad game, but here is the cold dark truth; It will be another MMO GEAR grind with a monthly fee.

The gameplay was fine, the mobs are cool, the combat was fun, but the idea that I will have to spend weeks-months farming gear to be on par with the kind of people who play hours upon hours each day is unappealing when GW2 is sitting around and has decided to get its house in order.

Beta is Beta, and you shouldn’t judge a game based off of that experience, but there were too many things I just found bland about it. I expected a more revolutionary experience, and really LESS of a spam fest in PvP, but found it much like WvW is in GW2, except with dedicated healers smattered around.

Were it not for the feature patch news, I would have shelved this game for sure, but the feature patch is firing rounds off at all the things that needed changing in this game, and in the end has a good chance of providing much more interesting builds and set choices, without hours of grinding and a monthly fee.

When WS goes free to play, it will be worth picking up and playing casually, but like ESO, it is trying to do something that can’t be done; be Blizzard and convince millions of people they need to give you 15 dollars a month.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

@Skitz

These guys are going to complain about anything. It’s what drives them. Makes them feel useful. Yea, most of the time they are absolutely wrong, but at least it’s actually a VAST minority of the players who play the game. One week they are complaining that something is too hard, the next week everything is too easy. They complain about only having two weeks to do stuff when 90% of the living story content was available for 4 week periods or more. They say the game lacks diversity in combat, but yet they don’t want their zerker builds touched because that’s all they play across the board. They implore that they need a fat, juicy carrot on a stick in front of them at all times, but yet they can’t ever see said carrot when it’s there.

I have nothing against the game, I’m still playing it, but I’m just pointing out things from my point of view. its fine if you don’t agree.

About exploration – give me a reason to explore? I have already done 100% map completion, there is absolutely no incentive for me to go back and revisit these places. Thats why I said “who cares” GW2 has great maps, great visual, but its an abandoned wasteland for the most part unless you see alts leveling. People only every go to different places for the daily reset of meta world bosses. No one does any DEs like they used to back when orr was fun. Exploration is nonexistent imo.

I personally don’t see how you guys believe LS is content…. its small new peice of a story that after 1-2 days, you pretty much done with. You get the achievements, get the shiny new item or w/e and its pretty much over. If they had more with events like twisted, I would enjoy it. a lot of people just don’t see these activities like running around in a baazar doing races as meaningful content. Its just there to kill some time or have some fun for an hour or 2…. its not endgame

Azreell.1568

I dont like Wildstar at all,in fact that game has everything i hate about MMO games…ugly cartoonish animation,terrible skill casting animations,weird looking ugly race’s ,futuristic setting.Besides all of this it doesnt offer anything new.I don t know why whould any1 play that game,i wont touch it even if it goes Free To Play,better play EQ next.And i agree that GW2 is far more superior then WildStar.Only problem that GW2 have is lack of permanent content,lack of exploring this beautifull world.Rest of the reasons people are complaining makes no sense and are just simple raging on the forum.

The fact that when you log in today the game is almost identical to how it was released over a year ago is raging?

We have different definitions of rage apparently.

People are upset because they want the game to do well – Not to fail.

“Rage” posts on the forums are good because it means at least people are still playing. The forums going quiet are the next step and that’s something you don’t want because that means people are quitting.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Really? Then why do I have 70 mounts I never spent money on and the world exploration achievement?

The Revenant.4970

The fact that when you log in today the game is almost identical to how it was released over a year ago is raging?

“Rage” posts on the forums are good because it means at least people are still playing. The forums going quiet are the next step and that’s something you don’t want because that means people are quitting.

Your problem is, that you’re choosing to ignore the changes. That, or your memory is kitten poor, because there are PLENTY there.
Rage posts are obnoxious, unreasonable drivel that rarely improve the product.

Posted by: Xzaander.4123

Xzaander.4123

Maybe I was just too tired when I tested the beta, but I couldn’t get into the game at all. It made me almost dizzy and nauseous because of all the visual clutter.

No, until I’ve tried more of ESO and decided on it, Guild Wars 2 will remain my only mmo even though I’m not very active anymore. Something about GW2 just keeps pulling me in.

Azreell.1568

Your problem is, that you’re choosing to ignore the changes. That, or your memory is kitten poor, because there are PLENTY there.

You truly don’t want me to link the permanent changes to this game vs any other game on the market in a years time – do you?

The bottom line is GW2 failed in the content department.

If it hadn’t the forum would not be filled with posts such as this.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Something about GW2 just keeps pulling me in.

The nostalgic feeling/reminder of GW1?
The minor polish/small things that other games lack (deposit collectables)?
The ability to not only jump… but to dodge roll as well?
:P

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

The Revenant.4970

You truly don’t want me to link the permanent changes to this game vs any other game on the market in a years time – do you?

Do it. Then I can point out everything you willingly left out because you’re desperate to prove yourself.

Azreell.1568

Do it. Then I can point out everything you willingly left out because you’re desperate to prove yourself.

You do realize you are arguing with me about what permanent changes gw2 made to this game since launch right?

And you also realize you want me to compare all permanent changes in gw2 since launch to any AAA title I want and see who comes out on top .

I am just making sure to clarify this before making you look like a fool.

P.S. I will use Anets own patch notes so nothing will be left out.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

The Revenant.4970

You do realize you are arguing with me about what permanent changes gw2 made to this game since launch right?

And you also realize you want me to compare all permanent changes in gw2 since launch to any AAA title I want and see who comes out on top .

I am just making sure to clarify this before making you look like a fool.

P.S. I will use Anets own patch notes so nothing will be left out.

Have at it ya jabbering wocky.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

In terms of grinding? I’ve felt GW2 have been more of a grind to me than WoW was when I played it.

I disagree 100%, WoW was nothing but grinding, whether it was PVE or PVP.

I think your tolerance of grinding, as with most of us, has diminished with age. GW2 is definitely not more of a grind than WoW though.

With the potential exception of leveling, Gw2 doesn’t require you to grind in order to fully enjoy the game; If I play PvE, I’ll do whatever I enjoy doing, and since cosmetics are the incentive (instead of a treadmill) I can pick my goals and work towards them in my own pace.

If you, however, strive for efficiency, or are simply impatient, there will always be a way to grind.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Wow is less grindy then GW2 currently.

In Wow I gear a character in fully tiered current raid gear in less then half the time it would take me to craft one ascended set. Wow as it stands right now is the most casual friendly game on the market.

There is no way you can get top tier raid gear in WoW in less than 6 months. It often takes much longer than that and you can go whole tiers and never get your missing pieces.

In GW2 I can be in full rare quality gear in a day (comparable to LFR gear in WoW which can take months)
In GW2 I can be in full exotic gear in 3 days to a week (compared to months to never in WoW)
In GW2 I can be in full ascended gear in 2 months (compared to full heroic tier in your dreams in WoW)

My alts in GW2 are fully geared exotic instantly from all the tokens, badges, relics, karma, commendations, etc. from my main. In PvP I don’t even have to level and all gear is free.

(edited by Karizee.8076)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

the only thing that WildStar has on GW2 is housing atm.

For the rest – it appeals to two completely different crowds.
This is as it should be, considering NC Soft publishes both games.

For me, I wish WildStar the best of luck because it is not a bad game at all ( sub aside- what the hell were they thinking)

but I much prefer the freedom and yes, the Living World of GW2.
I love the fact that the game is always changing and evolving
GW2 is and will remain my nr1 choice of MMO

Give us housing already-
if you had I would not have spent $99 on EQ Landmark just last week- I would have spent it here to scratch my building itch ;P
( that is great btw)

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

For those of you who have played Wildstar, could you please answer the following questions:

1. What is the PvP like, compared to GWII? Is everyone on the same level with the same gear and skills, and can I level up in it?

It’s very gear dependent starting bis w/Warplots & working its way down through the different pvp scenarios (Arena, BG). Your level and the amount you have to spend will dictate what available abilities you have.

2. How does the combat feel, compared to GWII? Is it dynamic, fast-phased and varied?

Same in the sense w/more clutter, stun, lockdown, blow-up youtube will give you a better idea.

Extensive, but don’t let the other poster fool you, WS will have a digital store. A sub-model w/B2P, f2p w/ingame currency.

Group and solo oriented, “dynamic” not really, but neither is GW. After multiple level 80’s GW dynamic are all the same each time through.

yes

yes, they give you the illusion of build varieties w/many skills to slot, but you will always have the same 2-4 depending on class and a few to swap in depending on content and role you want to play atm.

I am very interested in Wildstar but I haven’t been able to dig up much information about it. Guess I haven’t looked in the right places.

youtube, NDA lifted. Official forums are open to public too.

JQ Druid

Xae Isareth.1364

@Skitz

I have nothing against the game, I’m still playing it, but I’m just pointing out things from my point of view. its fine if you don’t agree.

About exploration – give me a reason to explore? I have already done 100% map completion, there is absolutely no incentive for me to go back and revisit these places. Thats why I said “who cares” GW2 has great maps, great visual, but its an abandoned wasteland for the most part unless you see alts leveling. People only every go to different places for the daily reset of meta world bosses. No one does any DEs like they used to back when orr was fun. Exploration is nonexistent imo.

I personally don’t see how you guys believe LS is content…. its small new peice of a story that after 1-2 days, you pretty much done with. You get the achievements, get the shiny new item or w/e and its pretty much over. If they had more with events like twisted, I would enjoy it. a lot of people just don’t see these activities like running around in a baazar doing races as meaningful content. Its just there to kill some time or have some fun for an hour or 2…. its not endgame

From what I gather, you want loot for exploring basically. That’s a very valid point, and one of my major concerns with DEs. But that shouldn’t be what exploration is focused around. A good game would make you explore simply because you wanted to reap the rewards of finding something or seeing a sight, just like in real life. I don’t go on holiday to Peru for the loot, in fact, I paid loot to go on holiday.

In a GW2 context, I went back to Lion’s Arch to see all the destruction that happened to it, to hear the new OST. I didn’t go back because there’s new loot there, that would in fact defeat the purpose in this partcular case because I would go find the loot instead of go find what’s changed with everything.

I don’t like the LS but having a defined endgame is not a good thing. What endgame in most MMOs mean is effectively forcing you out of certain content and forcing you into another. Ironically, that’s what the LS is doing, but that’s another argument.

Everything should be endgame content in a game. That brings in diversity. If someone’s endgame is just playing a few minigames for a hour or 2 of fun, what’s wrong with that? aren’t games supposed to be fun in the first place?

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

Well, ignoring all the “NUH GW2 JUST GRIND GAME GEM SHOP GAME GAME” or the “HERE’S MY LIST OF WHEI DIS GAUME BUTTER:” above me, i’ll just list my simple opinion.

In my opinion GW2 beats all the “game-breaking” MMO’s coming out recently (in this case, Wildstar). Why? Well…It’s hard to put my finger on it. GW2 just does so many things different (for better or for worse) that it just sort of…stands out. When I played Wildstar for multiple weeks I felt so strange playing it. The graphics weren’t of my taste and reminded me of every other game that mimics the goofy cartoon style and I just didn’t feel…invested? Perhaps interested is a better word. Customization was limited, I couldn’t play with my friends if they wanted to play a different race on the opposing faction, classes were limited per race, the UI felt clunky and other various tidbits that bothered me.

What really got to me, I think, and this is where GW2 beats everyone (even WoW I daresay) was that the game felt dead. NPC’s had no ambient dialogue that was voiced, things only talked when I clicked on them or when we went into an instance and things didn’t feel like I actually discovered them. I picked explorer and scientist so i could find hidden things and learn about the world…but it didn’t have this feeling that I was immersed into the world. Frankly, it was because everything was highlighted to me. A giant statue that would have lore on it and I wouldn’t know unless I walked over to it would be basically painted red with an icon saying: “check this out!”. It was never this, “Oh hey, this looks interesting”.

There are only two games where I’ve ever felt like exploring the world and becoming extremely joyful or happy at finding something hidden or strange in the corner of the world: GW2 and Dark Souls. Both of these games, IMHO, manage to invest you in the world. I remember when I first found the Meat’tober fest or when I discovered a corrupted statue of one of the Six, where upon getting a hint to kneel down beside it I discovered about an ancient ghost who haunted the tombs and then I proceeded to go slay him.

I didn’t feel that in Wildstar. Everywhere I went everything was painted with a giant red
“Look here!” so nothing I ever found was from my own adventure. The world was just painted there for me, telling me where to go all the time. Quests pointed me in one direction, I could never go and explore other places because since there were no quests in those areas when I did go there, they were empty and boring.

That’s why I think GW2 beats Wildstar and why I will probably never leave it- It does so many things right but above all else, I can always find something hidden within the world that I may have never known about before, even if it is something so insignificant like a Skritt losing his precious shinies.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I was very disappointed in WildStar. I didn’t think it was possible for a game to have worse optimization than Guild Wars 2 but it certainly proved me wrong. It doesn’t help that it looks like World of WarCraft. Come on, it’s 2014!

The Elder Scrolls Online on the other hand ran like a dream but I just couldn’t get into the gameplay. Guess I’m stuck here for a while longer. Still hopeful for EverQuest Next.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

GW2 is a superior game to almost every MMO in the western industry atm and Wildstar/ESO are both average ones. People would like WS/ESO for a fresh experience however neither bring anything major to the industry.

Is this sarcasm?

No, these are facts

If by superior, you mean a grindy game with shallow combat and content that is so unrewarding that it’s simply easier to play the TP, then you’re right.

No I mean the game that you don’t now how to play ending up grinding because you are used to the hardcore content games with no combat offered, calling hard-core gear raiding for for content with people getting kicked out from parties and guilds because they aren’t special enough.

The games I play have combat that extend beyond roleplaying a zergling and spamming one or exploiting AI by stacking in a corner.

yet here you are, on these forums.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Xae Isareth.1364

To be honest, I think what GW2 really does right in terms of exploration is having this sense of grandeur and beauty. Standing on the tip of Divinity’s Reach and looking over the whole city in all its majesty, I could feel tears on my cheeks. Looking out into the sky and the birds flying around in the collosus fractal, my partymates had to wait a while for me to take a screenshot.

I think its GW2’s artstyle. Wildstar just can’t capture that sense of grandeur and magnificence, nor can ESO, their art just doesn’t have the flare and soul which the creators put into GW2. GW2 managed to find this perfect balancing point between being realistic and fantastical that I don’t think other games have managed.

There’s also something more minor: the easter eggs. Whether it be the room with all the cats, the polar bear snuggling next to a fire in Lornaar’s Pass, and my personal favorite, the Terminator 2 reference from the Iron Forgeman, although they’re little things, are things which makes the world ‘fun’. A lot of games has forgotten the little things these days.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

GW2 vs Wildstar is not the same as say GW2 vs WoW. Funds for development comes from across all NCsoft titles of this genre All NCsoft titles fund each other, GW2 gem store purchases=WildStar development, and the same can be said for WildStar release sales. You do not support Guild Wars 2 alone, you support (below) & than some.

Guild Wars
Guild Wars 2
Aion
Blade&Soul
Lineage
Wildstar

JQ Druid

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

1. I’ve only played battlegrounds. pvp was pretty horrible it’s just a huge light show of telegraphs and it doesn’t feel fluid. You have to grind for gear you gain something called prestige for killing opponents and winning matches I think which you use to buy better upgrade. You will have to play pve as a pvper because there are extra ability points/amp points that are unlocked only through elder gems(Elder gems are time gated you can only gain a certain amount per week) atm. You do get xp for killing players in pvp but it doesn’t add up as quickly as pve.

2. Combat for leveling consists mostly of dodging telegraphs then in later levels mobs have a stun then telegraph.

3. They have a costume system where you can imprint the aesthetics of one piece of gear onto your currently equipped.

4. Quests are one of the worst i’ve seen there are barely any memorable characters no depth to the storyline. Quests consist of mainly kill “x” of mobs and loot “x” of objects. At the start the game is makes it out that the exiles and dominion are at odds but you never really see this it’s like they live happily beside each other. A lot of quests are copied and pasted between the factions an entire zone is a mirror image of quests/structures copied and pasted exiles on the western area and eastern dominion

5. You can do pvp to gain xp. Pve has this thing called challenges they are basically kill “x” of quests within a certain timeframe and based on the reward level you achieve it will increase your chance for rolls on the slot machine

6. There are defined roles every class has 2 roles either a combination of tank/dps or healer/dps

Hate to say this but this game will most likely end up going f2p after a few months.

(edited by RoRo.8270)

The Revenant.4970

Well, ignoring all the “NUH GW2 JUST GRIND GAME GEM SHOP GAME GAME” or the “HERE’S MY LIST OF WHEI DIS GAUME BUTTER:” above me, i’ll just list my simple opinion.

To everyone’s credit, the grammar has not been that atrocious in this thread, so you’re not going to get by with using that to strengthen your ‘simple opinion’.

While I agree with your opinion, your tactic there at the beginning ticked me off.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since Carbine Studios is founded by ex-WoW employees (pre 1st expansion) it’s logical that the look and feel is very WoW like.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Wildstar is the perfect game for those who like CARTOONISH games.

This is what I felt when I watched the trailer. Looks kinda silly to me, compared to GW2. Though to be fair, I’m probably biased because GW2 is the only MMO I’ve ever played. Then again, as soon as I saw the sub fee for Wildstar, I knew I would never play it. Seems kind of silly considering how much money I spend in the gem store here, but nonetheless, I know I can put down GW2 for a month and the only thing I’ll miss is my daily laurel.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I played Wildstar and to say it brings nothing to the table is an ignorant, short-sighted statement. To keep things short and simple I’m just going to make a list. Here are features that Wildstar has over Guild Wars 2

1. Challenges, timer based content that gives you an exceptional reward if completed, is repeatable.
2. Housing, though, not as good as other games; it offers new features regardless such as changing the mood. Refer to second photo
3. A 4 path system, another mini option on how to play the game
4. A complex Telegraph system, something people really underestimate a system which could help our game and end the one-shot boss auto attack crisis.
5. A costume system, no restrictions other than leveling up to unlock; refer to first photo. Sure we can transmute items but that doesn’t quite cut it
6. Emphasis on lore.

I only listed the ones I felt important. Now for features that Guild Wars 2 has over Wildstar.

1. Dynamic Events, though not rewarding enough for the time invested I suppose it could be a bit engaging but it adds a level of depth to the world that you just can’t take away.
2. Level Scaling/Mentoring. This system adds for a mass amount of re-playability, this is the only feature other than dynamic events that’s keeping me in this game.
3. Voice-acted environment.
4. Variations on different weapons.

That is about it. I tossed graphics aside, our game other than the environment doesn’t look all that great either. Didn’t list gear because I couldn’t care less about gear grind/stats, this game has it as well, they should have kept the same stat system as Guild Wars 1.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

1)GW2 you were forced to log in during a 2 week period or miss the content forever. That seems a lot more strict in terms of whats “required” for content

2)Your mount sentence was quoted exactly as you implied it. Do not use statements if you don’t want them quoted back in exactly the context you posted them in.

3)Wow has just as much exploration as GW2. If standing on top of and clicking F is your definition of exploration Webster’s would like a word with you.

4)You continually bash Wow and try to use it to enforce a positive light on GW2. Both games have merits and both games are flawed. But, as it stands right now Wow offers for more to both casuals and hard core players then GW2.

You obviously have a misconception about my remarks on these forums. I simply tell it like it is in hopes then Anet get’s it’s head out of its you know what and does something with this game.

The game is loosing players whether you like to admit it or not. I myself enjoy the game but am also realistic about what it offers and what it doesn’t.

People have to be honest and realize that Anet has to do something and do it soon to keep people interested because when I logged on today the game was almost identical to when I log on the game a year ago.

1) How did GW2 force you to log in every 2 week? Did they put a gun to your head, they threaten to harm you pet hamster etc….?
1b) Did you do any research at all before buying GW2 or did you like many others simply bought GW2 because of the hype? I ask this because you seem to not know that LS is new content every 2 week and is now hating on it.

2) Having to pay full price+expansion and a monthly sub and still I have to fork out more $$$ for CASH-SHOP item, be it mount or toilet paper that’s just GREEDY.

3) I’m not even going to bother with this one.

4) Go and buy a brand new WOW account then get to max level+RAID gear while playing as a DPS. Oh no you don’t get the luxury of play as a Tank/Heal, you get the luxury of spamming LF tank/heal. Do this without any friend or guild help. Also you must play it without any ADDON. Get back to me when you are done. Most of the time when people claim its so easy or its not a grind, that’s because they are getting carry.

I’m not hating on any game I just play the one that is most enjoyable to me.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No, these are an opinion

Fixed that for you.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

1) How did GW2 force you to log in every 2 week? Did they put a gun to your head, they threaten to harm you pet hamster etc….?
1b) Did you do any research at all before buying GW2 or did you like many others simply bought GW2 because of the hype? I ask this because you seem to not know that LS is new content every 2 week and is now hating on it.

2) Having to pay full price+expansion and a monthly sub and still I have to fork out more $$$ for CASH-SHOP item, be it mount or toilet paper that’s just GREEDY.

3) I’m not even going to bother with this one.

4) Go and buy a brand new WOW account then get to max level+RAID gear while playing as a DPS. Oh no you don’t get the luxury of play as a Tank/Heal, you get the luxury of spamming LF tank/heal. Do this without any friend or guild help. Also you must play it without any ADDON. Get back to me when you are done. Most of the time when people claim its so easy or its not a grind, that’s because they are getting carry.

I’m not hating on any game I just play the one that is most enjoyable to me.

^never heard of the addon oQueue. Addons are part of the game. They always have been. Theres literally millions of people who do not have a problem with this. If you do, you’re just short changing yourself and not using tools available to you. You know what addons show? It shows a thriving community of people involved with the game. Should I now use any mods for Skyrim because they aren’t coming directly from the official devs? Moddable games are IN. Sorry if that’s news to you. Minecraft, Skyrim, CounterStrike, etc all have proven time and time again that giving the toolset to your community builds that community. If you don’t like people judging you by dps meters, then don’t raid with kittenheads.

Sorry brah, WoW isn’t like it was back in the day. It’s quite easy to jump in and go do something. I know, I know..most of you don’t want to see all that…afterall, it completely destroys all your arguments. So, just for the sake of it we’ll continue to act like it’s the same version of WoW from almost a decade ago.

On topic: Wildstar is dope. It’s got the action combat, the sick looking gear, and the trinity (thank god for teamwork, I’m so glad no other developer is copying this horrible design aspect from ArenaNet, opinions will vary but personally I feel other games not picking that philosophy up speaks wonders).

The art style may be a little over the top for some. I don’t mind it. The PvP is awesome and ORGANIZED. It has Housing…completely customizeable housing. When I can build a house, go to a dungeon..slay a boss..and take his head and hang it up on a wall in my house…that’s dope.

Anyway, obviously it’s not for everyone. Personally I can’t even believe people still play this game I find it so boring, but to each their own. I hope one day they overhaul some things to keep it interesting. See GW2 is the type of game where I don’t even understand why they even have stats on gear. It’d probably work better if all the gear in the game was solely aesthetic and the real diversity came from traits and skillsets, but hey that’s just me. I did like the jumping puzzles and will continue to come back to do that tho. That’s one area I can give GW2 an A+.

(edited by dcypher.2590)

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

To everyone’s credit, the grammar has not been that atrocious in this thread, so you’re not going to get by with using that to strengthen your ‘simple opinion’.

While I agree with your opinion, your tactic there at the beginning ticked me off.

It wasn’t intended to insult anyone or to strengthen my opinion. Tactic? What do I look like i’m trying to do-bribe people so they buy the game? It was a joke based on all of the back-and-forth argument that has been posted above my post based on lists of reasons or counter-lists of reasons, gem store accusations, etc. If you don’t like it that’s fine, but don’t try and make it sound like I’m peering down below everyone as if they were twelve year olds. If If I came off that way, then I apologize.

The Revenant.4970

Well, my defense of grammar was just thrown out the window with "Brah"s and "dope"s.

(edited by The Revenant.4970)

ZudetGambeous.9573

I played Wildstar and to say it brings nothing to the table is an ignorant, short-sighted statement. To keep things short and simple I’m just going to make a list. Here are features that Wildstar has over Guild Wars 2

1. Challenges, timer based content that gives you an exceptional reward if completed, is repeatable.
2. Housing, though, not as good as other games; it offers new features regardless such as changing the mood. Refer to second photo
3. A 4 path system, another mini option on how to play the game
4. A complex Telegraph system, something people really underestimate a system which could help our game and end the one-shot boss auto attack crisis.
5. A costume system, no restrictions other than leveling up to unlock; refer to first photo. Sure we can transmute items but that doesn’t quite cut it
6. Emphasis on lore.

I only listed the ones I felt important. Now for features that Guild Wars 2 has over Wildstar.

1. Dynamic Events, though not rewarding enough for the time invested I suppose it could be a bit engaging but it adds a level of depth to the world that you just can’t take away.
2. Level Scaling/Mentoring. This system adds for a mass amount of re-playability, this is the only feature other than dynamic events that’s keeping me in this game.
3. Voice-acted environment.
4. Variations on different weapons.

That is about it. I tossed graphics aside, our game other than the environment doesn’t look all that great either. Didn’t list gear because I couldn’t care less about gear grind/stats, this game has it as well, they should have kept the same stat system as Guild Wars 1.

Wildstar has a mentoring system actually. It doesn’t have a downleveling system though.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

After reading all these posts, I’m actually thinking of trying Wildstar.

Honestly GW2 has grown stale. It feels even more that way in the LS gaps. I also miss the trinity, or at least the teamwork that resulted from the trinty.

The excitement of the “feature pack” shows how desperate the community has become. I see nothing in the features the increases the longevity of the game. You could argue those features should have been there from the start. Having a new build is not going to make me play for 2 more months.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

The Revenant.4970

After reading all these posts, I’m actually thinking of trying Wildstar.

Honestly GW2 has grown stale. It feels even more that way in the LS gaps. I also miss the trinity, or at least the teamwork that resulted from the trinty.

The excitement of the “feature pack” shows how desperate the community has become. I see nothing in the features the increases the longevity of the game. You could argue those features should have been there from the start. Having a new build is not going to make me play for 2 more months.

You shouldn’t be playing any single game solely for years on end to begin with. Take a break, if you come back you come back. There are hundreds of games worth experiencing. That doesn’t make Guild Wars 2 any less of a product though.

Posted by: Revyn.8961

Revyn.8961

Moderator: should this post be moved/deleted for being off topic?

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

So what’s more likely, future MMOs abandoning trinity and going with the “jack of all trades, do everything in one class” like anet or stick with the trinity but make some tweaks?

My guess is stick with the trinity. It brings teamwork/skill. Everyone in GW2 is selfishly playing. Never am I depending on my teammates for a heal. i have my own reflects/blocks/dodges/ to protect myself I need no tank. I have my own supply of blinds and knockdowns and stuns I need no controller. I do just fine pew pewing down mobs, I need no DPSer

And that pathethic excuseof “ooo but I don’t like waiting 30 mins for LFG HEALERRR” , well guess what, that’s what happens when you PUG.

MMO’s are played because of the community, with friends. TheGuilds/clans I personally played in always had a diverse groups of healers/tanks/dps/controllers so there was rarely an issue of LFG HEALER/TANK. and you can actually feel good about becoming a good tank/healer or w/e role you want to master. People would recognize someone, like “holy kitten, zanzibar is an amazing priest, our group never dies when hes our healer”

Whats too feel good about here? Oh kitten, he just killed lupicus solo yolo in a few seconds… wow.

Some people prefer this no trinity of a game, and thats absolutely fine. Keep playing it, but A lot of people have gotten a taste of what an MMO feels like with no trinity and while some may have been converted for good, I still feel like plenty of other players still want to play a trinity game which what wildstar, EQN, ESO will give them (allegedly)

The Revenant.4970

Moderator: Revyn doesn’t like what he sees here. Remove this post at once!

FYI – the topic was the differences/comparisons b/w Wildstar and GW2. It’s stayed fairly on course.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

^never heard of the addon oQueue. Addons are part of the game. They always have been. Theres literally millions of people who do not have a problem with this. If you do, you’re just short changing yourself and not using tools available to you. You know what addons show? It shows a thriving community of people involved with the game. Should I now use any mods for Skyrim because they aren’t coming directly from the official devs? Moddable games are IN. Sorry if that’s news to you. Minecraft, Skyrim, CounterStrike, etc all have proven time and time again that giving the toolset to your community builds that community. If you don’t like people judging you by dps meters, then don’t raid with kittenheads.

Sorry brah, WoW isn’t like it was back in the day. It’s quite easy to jump in and go do something. I know, I know..most of you don’t want to see all that…afterall, it completely destroys all your arguments. So, just for the sake of it we’ll continue to act like it’s the same version of WoW from almost a decade ago.

On topic: Wildstar is dope. It’s got the action combat, the sick looking gear, and the trinity (thank god for teamwork, I’m so glad no other developer is copying this horrible design aspect from ArenaNet, opinions will vary but personally I feel other games not picking that philosophy up speaks wonders).

The art style may be a little over the top for some. I don’t mind it. The PvP is awesome and ORGANIZED. It has Housing…completely customizeable housing. When I can build a house, go to a dungeon..slay a boss..and take his head and hang it up on a wall in my house…that’s dope.

Anyway, obviously it’s not for everyone. Personally I can’t even believe people still play this game I find it so boring, but to each their own. I hope one day they overhaul some things to keep it interesting. See GW2 is the type of game where I don’t even understand why they even have stats on gear. It’d probably work better if all the gear in the game was solely aesthetic and the real diversity came from traits and skillsets, but hey that’s just me. I did like the jumping puzzles and will continue to come back to do that tho. That’s one area I can give GW2 an A+.

Here here. A lot of people are blinded by their devotion to this game which doesn’t really help to make it better. Plus, it’s fashionable to bash WoW and any game which may be similar or has a sub…it really kills discussion and results in the dishonesty seen in this thread. Yes, yes, people who pay a sub are brainwashed or deluded, LOL. It can’t be that they value a game and are willing to pay a trivial monthly fee to support it rather to demand stuff for free like they do here.

Face it. The GW2 model doesn’t work. It results in shallow, zergy combat with very little build diversity. Trains in both PvE and WvW with cosplay in the LA chat room.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Wildstar has a mentoring system actually. It doesn’t have a downleveling system though.

That is why I didn’t count it.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

GW2 is a superior game to almost every MMO in the western industry atm and Wildstar/ESO are both average ones. People would like WS/ESO for a fresh experience however neither bring anything major to the industry.

Is this sarcasm?

No, these are facts

If by superior, you mean a grindy game with shallow combat and content that is so unrewarding that it’s simply easier to play the TP, then you’re right.

No I mean the game that you don’t now how to play ending up grinding because you are used to the hardcore content games with no combat offered, calling hard-core gear raiding for for content with people getting kicked out from parties and guilds because they aren’t special enough.

The games I play have combat that extend beyond roleplaying a zergling and spamming one or exploiting AI by stacking in a corner.

Standing there calculating skill timers isn’t called combat though.

Neither stacking in a corner spamming all your skills is though

Taking the flawed dungeon system and generalizing just make you seem uneducated. The WvW and sPvP have enough combat-mechanic possiblites to statisfy an MMORPG gamer who have, for years, played games where skills gets calculated instead of used. If you actually stack in a zerg for sPvP and WvW and still win, it just means the people playing agaist you are bad, not that you are good.

When a group of 10 people attack a whole zerg destorying it, people call them lucky. But when a zerg destorys another, that’s it the game is dead.

We were talking about pve dungeons so I don’t think someone can call me rude for that… You speak about the WvW and sPvP granting you the doubt of possibility (which I shouldn’t because at the moment sPvP is unbalanced and WvW is a zerg fest) I play MMORPGs for the pve not for the PvP experience if I want PvP I either go play CS or a random moba(you pick one) where balance is the most precious thing.
EDIT: Also are we talking about the same game here? Because so far GW2 in 1 and a half year has only one game mode for sPvP, they took 1 year and a half to actually reward the spvp players in some way. And WvW? it’s either ZvZ or random condi/bunker builds that can run way once they see they’re losing (I’m one of those). Honestly tho I loved the game for a year, I got 4 lvl 80, 2 world completion and somehow I manged to make a legendary. Tried spvp for a bit, but it got boring with the same maps and same objectives/builds. It was an awsome ride and I stayed along to see if they change something, I’ll give them one more chance for April and the new LS, but that’s the final straw.
PvE doesn’t require any sort of intelligent play or skill (except maybe 4/5 occasions in 1 year)
Spvp bunkerbuilds or instagib with 3 capture points in 1 year and a half
WvW is pretty much a ZvZ
And all of this without actually mentioning how many times they screwed up when they changed something, or the various “extremely bad bugs” we had at the start that allowed people to cash in precursors and gold.
I’m tired of defending the game, I just can’t anymore.
EDIT 2: spelling

(edited by Fasalina.6571)

Posted by: Revyn.8961

Revyn.8961

Moderator: Revyn doesn’t like what he sees here. Remove this post at once!

FYI – the topic was the differences/comparisons b/w Wildstar and GW2. It’s stayed fairly on course.

No need to be snide, Revenant. I’m curious why other threads have been deleted when they discussed other games compared to GW2.

/putting business cap on. Besides, these are both NCSoft games, shouldn’t Anet encourage everyone to love all those on the mothership?

(edited by Revyn.8961)

ZudetGambeous.9573

That is why I didn’t count it.

That was poorly phrased looking back. It does have a downleveling/mentoring system, you just need to group with someone level appropriate.

You can replay any zone at any level as long as you team up with someone that is the right level. So it is a little more restrictive than GW2, but practically it is the same since no one goes to low level zones in GW2 just for solo fun anyway.

The Revenant.4970

Face it. The GW2 model doesn’t work. It results in shallow, zergy combat with very little build diversity. Trains in both PvE and WvW with cosplay in the LA chat room.

Every single MMO devolves into people using the exact same builds they took off of forums/webpages (surprise! most of them are zerg builds!)

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I tried it too and was expecting to like it more than I did.

The laggy servers certainly didn’t help but that was only a small part of it.

Overall the visuals were rather disappointing. The art-style was fine, but I found it hard to recognize stuff and the textures were often very, very dull. It’s hard to pin-point what exactly was missing, but I think the visual fidelity wasn’t quite there yet.

The core game-play was fine I guess, but didn’t feel as good as in GW2. GW2 has better feedback and combat feels more responsive. I liked many of Carbine’s design principles, but overall combat just wasn’t as fun as I had hoped.

I was disappointed that, just like in GW2, we don’t have a vast, open and interconnected world. Instead we have a series of levels and zones. How come we’ve regressed back from having Azeroth, Middle Earth or Rift’s entire worlds, back to zones and levels? Surely technology should enable even bigger virtual worlds.

Design-wise I really love what Carbine Studios has done. But unfortunately something is missing.

Maybe it’s the tedious quests I just can’t stand anymore (I do miss dynamic events) or the “not as awesome as I hoped” combat. I don’t know.