Something big is coming in 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

How many times do they need to say that content traditionally associated with expansions will be released through LS updates before people notice?

Probably not until they actually do it, given that all permanent content last year from the LS was changing a world boss or fixing existing content (fractals) there’s really not a lot of supported actions to put much merit into the claim that LS updates will be were expansion like content will be because the LS for the vast majority is very limited content that disappears wiki is very unlike an expansion which adds permanent content.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

don’t get over hyped >_>
every time is like this
-oh look the “new stuff” will be awesome !
-yes they will be !
after the patch
-what is this ?
-i know it totally sucks !
^ apply to any patch or update in any game. it is always the same !

until official info on main page do not blow this over proportion ! even then i have my reserves >_>
or else we look like kids that saw something shiny and wanting it. i expect precursor crafting maybe cuz it was announced a long time ago idk but everything else is just hype and speculation

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Its not just the return of the Quaggan empire, it all still Scarlet.

She has engineered an alliance between the Quaggans and the Black Lion Traders so that all those backpacks people have been getting are really magically transformed Quaggan. She will then cast the magic to transform them back, and then they will then strangle all the people wearing them.

This is how the Quaggan empire will return.

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

I want to believe, I really do.

But these are the same people who claimed that Flame and Frost would be an “expansions worth of content”. So I’m not holding my breath, honestly.

My expectations are low Anet. Perfect time for you to wow the heck out of me

Yep… not getting my hopes up anymore.

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

Of course something big is coming in 2014.

Wildstar.

I have lost faith in B2P/F2P mmo now and truly believe that a subscription fee is best.
Although the same old $15 price should be retired and new mmo’s should have it lower around $10.
I expect wildstar is going to start making very big permanent content updates pretty soon after launch and an expansion a year later.

(edited by sonicwhip.9052)

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Something big is coming in 2014:

End of complaints in the forum.

They’ll be shutting this place down then? Can’t say as I’d blame them.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

Something big in 2014 thats going to shake tyria? Must be all the people stampeding off the servers and onto other games! We’ll see. =)

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

I’m waiting to jump on the 2 week cycle again and i’m curious. and waiting for an awesome looking armor to be added to my collection. oh yeah, and capes(don’t forget that). I’m curious about the feature update too(can’t wait for that or to know what’s in it) Sooo, yeah I want capes and something to do other than leveling alts and crafting my ascended for my main. Oh yeah and expanding the map, no new random maps like southsun. I’m waiting…

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

If they are adding anything huge, it will be putting crystal desert, maguuma wastes, and playable Tengu because it was already part of the game in early stages of the game.

But, guild halls, new legendaries, elite skills, etc, would be awesome additons.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I see a lot of people asking for an expansion.

I get where you’re coming from. New, permanent content is always a good thing, even though the implementation might be a bit off.

Here’s the problem:

Let’s say ANet gives us an expansion. For Example, let’s say Elona. So, we all take our level 80’s to Elona, and run through the content in a month, then we all head back to LA to hang out and cry about dead zones, nothing to do, and how bad GW2 is.

I really don’t want that kind of expansion. I remember once you “won” over the big baddies in GW1, the rest of the time we stand in the hubs looking for something to do. Don’t say it didn’t happen, because I was there. It happened all the time. If you weren’t in one of the big-time GvG guilds, then the content got old, and the grinding for racial and faction reps got tedious. Saying it was glorious is just rose-colored glasses.

Now, on the other hand, let’s say ANet gives us decent Living Story updates with lingering permanent changes to the world, including, but not limited to new areas, and new skins, et al. Add some challenging content in the existing world to go along with the new stuff as well. I think that’s something worth doing.

The thing is that the concept of the Living Story is a good one, but the implementation has been rather haphazard. Some were good, some not so much, but you can’t say there wasn’t something new to do ever two weeks or so, no matter who you are. Choosing not to do it doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

If they were to update the LS every month instead of every 2 weeks, and give us quality over quantity, I would take LS updates over an expansion any day of the year.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

The sudden planetwide emergence of the Quaggan Empire?

So long as next year we get to see the Return of the Mursaat!

So agony everywhere and you’ll need to have ascended gear and infusions or die … uh no thanks. That would be worse than the toxic stuff.

Actually it was part joke/star wars reference, and part serious.

The White Mantle are in the game, but their unseen gods aren’t. What’s up with that?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

How many times do they need to say that content traditionally associated with expansions will be released through LS updates before people notice?

They can repeat that ad nauseum, but nobody’s gonna notice unless they actually make good on that. So far, they haven’t.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I wonder if they’ll sing the same tune in 6 months as population continues to decline as rapidly as it has.

OK, look me up in 6 months and we’ll continue this conversation then.

I’d rather not. And I’m sure most of us will be gone by then anyway if an expansion announcement isn’t made in the next few months.

You guys can have your LS and all the ghost towns that come with it if there isn’t an expansion announced before then, because we have much more ambitious projects coming down the pipeline this year

I have been warning them against this content delivery method since I started playing, and during that time I have watched nearly every server become empty outside of LA and Queensdale.

Come to BG. Frostgorge and WvW also have Queues =)

Hehe don’t tempt me, have been a DB faithful since the beginning

From my observation, I sadly agree Aeon. With the exception of BG, FA, JQ, the servers I’ve guested to have all been declining. In the terms of activity that is. Either everyone has stacked in the top tier servers or it’s a slow decline of activity. Either way it’s become quite stagnant in my server. Compare this to last years Wintersday, and it was very packed.

Hopefully something pulls activity back.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I get where you’re coming from. New, permanent content is always a good thing, even though the implementation might be a bit off.

Here’s the problem:

Let’s say ANet gives us an expansion. For Example, let’s say Elona. So, we all take our level 80’s to Elona, and run through the content in a month, then we all head back to LA to hang out and cry about dead zones, nothing to do, and how bad GW2 is.

I really don’t want that kind of expansion. I remember once you “won” over the big baddies in GW1, the rest of the time we stand in the hubs looking for something to do. Don’t say it didn’t happen, because I was there. It happened all the time. If you weren’t in one of the big-time GvG guilds, then the content got old, and the grinding for racial and faction reps got tedious. Saying it was glorious is just rose-colored glasses.

Now, on the other hand, let’s say ANet gives us decent Living Story updates with lingering permanent changes to the world, including, but not limited to new areas, and new skins, et al. Add some challenging content in the existing world to go along with the new stuff as well. I think that’s something worth doing.

The thing is that the concept of the Living Story is a good one, but the implementation has been rather haphazard. Some were good, some not so much, but you can’t say there wasn’t something new to do ever two weeks or so, no matter who you are. Choosing not to do it doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

If they were to update the LS every month instead of every 2 weeks, and give us quality over quantity, I would take LS updates over an expansion any day of the year.

Actually a lot of activity in GW1 end game was farming, speed clears, title farming. Actually completing content with a organized team to try for awesome gear was a lot of fun. There really is no awesome gear that you can farm in this game. You just have to play the time gate, or cash shop game. Which I find to be quite un-amusing

You could get tired of that, but that goes with anything.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Actually a lot of activity in GW1 end game was farming, speed clears, title farming. Actually completing content with a organized team to try for awesome gear was a lot of fun. There really is no awesome gear that you can farm in this game. You just have to play the time gate, or cash shop game. Which I find to be quite un-amusing

You could get tired of that, but that goes with anything.

Awesome Gear? In general, what you were grinding for was mats and cash for skins. Not too much different here, except for Ascended gear, which has its own set of problems.

Farming? In general, except for a few named weapons, farming was for mats and cash. Sound familiar?

Speed Clears? Another form of mat farming. I ran UW speed clears. It was no less of a “job” than farming for mats here. The big question when you got out of UW wasn’t “Was it fun?” It was “How many ectos did you get?”

Title Farming? The titles in GW1 were gained through massive amounts of grind/farming. People seem to forget that.

The thing is that GW2 is fun. Asking for an expansion isn’t going to solve the problems people have with farming and grinding. All it will do is give you more areas to grind in.

I’d rather have it packaged in nice little chunks ever few weeks instead of needing to go out and purchase another box.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Asukai.4507

Asukai.4507

Cantha with new Asian hairstyles
Dervish class return with Scythe weapon
All class with new weapons skill
Housing

That what I hope for 2014 but I’m not putting my hopes high for it it

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Well I always though the story was moving towards factions and of course we will get the Tengu. However they really have to come with something really really good overhauling much of what we have. The Tengu will not be able to safe this game.

For starters, make it a really an open word, not some instanced based maps, introduce mounts and IN the game not in the gem-shop and also not behind some general grind. But behind specific farms.

Make sure we really get roles and stop with the LS / Gem-store strategy to generate income going to a expansions based income model. Then undo all the stuff they did in favor of the gem-store. So put the mini’s in the game, not in the gem-store or behind temporary content, make dyes account-bound, put a barber in the game where you can do your hear and the expansion will then unlock all hairstyles, not some cash-shop item.

Also add some nice fun crafts where you can craft fun items every level in stead of needing to grind your way up to 400 / 500 just so you can then make what you need / want and promise to really stop that gem-store focus forever.

Thats the only way I see an expansion or big patch still being able to get stuff running again. Else it will stay a gold / achievement grind where many peopl already gave up on collections like mini’s because they don’t like to grind for gold or missed some living story events and all the other negative effects we have seen. Put the game back into the game.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Awesome Gear? In general, what you were grinding for was mats and cash for skins. Not too much different here, except for Ascended gear, which has its own set of problems.

Yes Awesome Gear. There are hardly any skins in GW2 that I think are as good as what we had in GW. The only Legendry I think is nice looking is The Flameseker Prophecies. People may like others, I’m fine with that everyone has different tastes. I just think the weapon and armor in guild wars is superior to that which we have now.

Farming? In general, except for a few named weapons, farming was for mats and cash. Sound familiar?

This exists in every game and always will, difference is in how much fun you make it.

Speed Clears? Another form of mat farming. I ran UW speed clears. It was no less of a “job” than farming for mats here. The big question when you got out of UW wasn’t “Was it fun?” It was “How many ectos did you get?”

Maybe for you. Yes the goal was to get ectos, but also for an Eternal blade. I personally always had fun.

Title Farming? The titles in GW1 were gained through massive amounts of grind/farming. People seem to forget that.

That all depended on how you went about doing it. Running CoF to max delver was one of many ways to get it. It was only as grindie as you made it.

The thing is that GW2 is fun. Asking for an expansion isn’t going to solve the problems people have with farming and grinding. All it will do is give you more areas to grind in.

I’d rather have it packaged in nice little chunks ever few weeks instead of needing to go out and purchase another box.

I’m not a fan of the LS. I like to do things in my own time, story driven content should not be done at brake neck speed. I have no clue as to what’s going on in the LS, and sadly I’ve given up trying to follow it. All I know now is that some crazy plant lady has a plan for something I could not careless about.

I’d rather see my PS progress, rather than being a hero who’s sole purpose was to stop the dragons. Not take an age to throw some weed killer on a plant.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Living Story updates can, have

Um.. Either they haven’t or the comparative content type is at a rate so slow it would take 10-15 years to equate to the amount that you get in an expansion

and will introduce all the things you listed.

At the current rate, I don’t buy that worth a squat.

You’ll get a bit here and a bit there, but it all adds up.

Yes, at a laughable rate. I’m amazed at people who buy that we’ve had even close to an expansion worth of content. There have been lots of updates & tweaks, yes, but that comes normally in MMOs. Even GW1 had significant changes outside of expansion. Lots of Hero updates, Guild updates, TONS of skill tweaks, changes to entire systems, graphic & performance updates…

But 1 one year with GW1 we had:

• almost Double the open world content including missions & quests
  • Entire PvP & Guild Systems
  • 2 new classes
  • TONS of new skills
  • MORE than 2x the number of armor
  • almost 2x the number of equipment

GW2:

• 1 poorly implemented zone
  • Achievement chase LW “content”
  • a handful of very short story missions.
  • poor to decent guild missions
  • ascended gear (we’re adding power creep as “content” now)
  • Fractals (best content yet)
  • 3 dungeons ^
  • occasional fun temporary content
  • bland, poorly-implemented “invasions” (with the worst character the game has seen)
  • boring activities that are instanced out of the game world & have no significance on it.
  • Tons of Gem Store items that cost more & have less function than GW1 items instead of in-game rewards.
  • laughable # of skills

The list of “stuff” is longer, but If I gave you a handful of pennies it’s not as much value as a single $100 bill even though it’s more “stuff”. In terms of comparable expansion-quality content they’ve added: Fractals & occasional fun temporary content like the Sanctum.

It’s nice that they have stuff to do & it’s occasionally fun. But if they aren’t working on an expansion, this is not enough. So much of the “Features” in the LW are just half-baked tweaks on current systems. Activities? Pretty boring instanced things that have no connection to the game world. The “Invasions”? really? Randomly spawning groups of mobs to zerg? That’s not significant content, that’s low-quality DEs with flashy advertizing. There are no enemy attack patterns, nothing to defend, no way to push back to retake land, no nothing just chase circles. Guild Missions? Half of the Guild Missions are super lame. Tequatl? really? you’re counting making terrible content, decent as significant content? & the lack of new reward skins is a joke.

Just the continent of Cantha is more content than all the LW combined x2. The quantity & quality of expansion stuff is so much greater than LW. Plus, getting things piecemeal is way less satisfying. Not to mention that at the current rate, is still less in quantity than expansion. It’s not even close. It’s just packaged to seem like more & you believed it.

I’ll believe that the LS can provide expansion content when I see significant content like:

• New Races
  • New Classes
  • New Continents
  • SETS of New Dungeons
  • TONS of new gear sets. (We should be at double the number of gear skins as launch. in game not gem store)
    Housing

EACH YEAR.

I remember a quote from Collin before GW2 came out that talked about they wanted to “earn their money” by making content that is worth people buying. That way if they didn’t make expansions that were good enough, people wouldn’t by them. Now it’s just making small stuff & saying “we made you an expansions worth of content!” & making money off people buying their rewards & using gamble-boxes. I used to be a huge GW fanboy, but now I’m amazed at how they’re running the business end of things.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Fox.1054

Fox.1054

Finally a proper sequel to Guild Wars 1?

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

So how many people remember an article/interview a few months back that stated anet was working on getting new weapons for all classes? I got a feelin thatis going to be our big surprise.big enough to get excited about but something that can still be hyped out of porportion

Posted by: Illusions.3108

Illusions.3108

im going to assume we will see an expansion pack. With 2 new classes, 1 new weapon set for each class, 8 new skills for each class with 2 new elites and the crystal desert opened.

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

im going to assume we will see an expansion pack. With 2 new classes, 1 new weapon set for each class, 20 new skills for each class with 2 new elites and the crystal desert opened.

No new races?! :o

Hehe.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Illusions.3108

i dont think so, maybe the dwarves will come back?

LittleLepton.8915

Tengu, Kodan, Skritt(?)

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Illusions.3108

id actually love it if they removed the condition system and just brought back hexes, those were much better,

LittleLepton.8915

Hexes were cool. I hated where they were on the screen though. I can’t focus on that many points on the screen without getting a headache. Lol.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Illusions.3108

I liked the hex system much better than what we got now. They were simple and worked. It made cleanses work better and spell simple. I am not sure why they actually got rid of them because it would be easier to balance the game with hexes than it is with all the crap now.

Illusions.3108

Here’s the problem:

if they release an expansion they will probably release content that is replayable with it. Such as the hard mode system or the one where you clear the entire zone.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

A new GW1 campaign?!

Illusions.3108

what would b pretty cool is if they allowed for you to replay the gw1 story with your 2 characters in the gw2 combat system. Just my thought. maybe a time machine :P

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Here’s the problem:

Very well said.

In GW1 my guild 8-manned The Deep often. This was fun for the challenge (it was suppose to be a 12-man dungeon), as well as the end-chest drops. It was the only place to obtain Kanaxai weps which sold for lots.

I have yet to find anything that gives that level of satisfaction.

I also miss the trinity — yeah it was hard to pug but that testifies to the team work required. Right now it’s mostly button mashing.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Illusions.3108

Here’s the problem:

Very well said.

In GW1 my guild 8-manned The Deep often. This was fun for the challenge (it was suppose to be a 12-man dungeon), as well as the end-chest drops. It was the only place to obtain Kanaxai weps which sold for lots.

I have yet to find anything that gives that level of satisfaction.

I also miss the trinity — yeah it was hard to pug but that testifies to the team work required. Right now it’s mostly button mashing.

yea right now i dont feel like my gear makes much of a difference from rare to exotic or such in dungeons. I can dodge and still kill things. Games where you cant dodge and have to take the hit really make gear worth it.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I miss my boon-prot monk… and my bonder… and my WoH monk… and pretty much every one of my monk builds…. sigh…

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

anyone seen this? its a portal. andthere’s a broken bridge. its never been here before

Which map?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Tengu, Kodan, Skritt(?)

If anything it’ll be the tengu as they provide customisation (kodan don’t, beyond armor they’re all the same) and they can use the exist charr armor (tengu have the same body mesh as char, just different proportions same way human/norn/sylvari have the same body and armor meshes)

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

LittleLepton.8915

Tengu, Kodan, Skritt(?)

If anything it’ll be the tengu as they provide customisation (kodan don’t, beyond armor they’re all the same) and they can use the exist charr armor (tengu have the same body mesh as char, just different proportions same way human/norn/sylvari have the same body and armor meshes)

Just throwing it out there…. Also I wouldn’t have thought Charr were all that customizable. But they are.

But I do think Tengu is the most likely.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

If we don’t get news of an expac in the works by the end of 2014 I’ll be disappointed I think. I know we have LS and the content produced there is enough to fill an expansion (for some) there are key pieces still missing for me to consider that we’ve gotten an expansion for free.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

As long as the Dwarves remain immortal souless creatures of stone, I support them comming back!

….Otherwise…TENGU!!!!!!!

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

anyone seen this? its a portal. and there’s a broken bridge. its never been here before

If that’s the one in Brisban it’s been there awhile. Bunch of bandits tirelessly building it if I remember right. I can only guess it’s an entrance for a new zone in the works.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Jaher Dal.9503

Jaher Dal.9503

That portal and the broken bridge have always been there.

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

Chris, can you confirm that Greg Tiberius “Ghostcrawler” Street has joined the ANET development team?

If you’re joking, that’s not funny at all.

If you’re not joking, that’s still not funny.

Greg Street should go back to oceanography, because he’s a terrible game developer.

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

“Something big is coming” Firstly… #pause

Secondly stop hyping and just make the announcement. Remember the manifesto hype?

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: Deathmond.7328

Deathmond.7328

In store? may be in China store? or it really will be a console version…

Posted by: Principe.3297

Principe.3297

Oh oh!
I hope its something big, but I’ve learned to halt my hype over such exaggerated things as they usually leave me disappointment. However, I’ll be looking forward for it

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret – Kirito (Sword Art Online)

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

If I’ve learned anything about Arena Net and the hype, it’s that I should completely ignore it, judge it for what it is when I see it, and not waste my time calling them out on all the points in the design philosophy they abandoned to create it.

Maybe it will be big, but maybe it’s a little to late for big. We’ll see if Guild Wars 2 can earn it’s way back onto my SSD from my storage drive in due time…

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

“Something big is coming” Firstly… #pause

Secondly stop hyping and just make the announcement. Remember the manifesto hype?

You are aware that it was not ArenaNet that posted this, right?
And thus the tweeters can’t really make any announcements.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I’m surprised this tweet got more attention than the one from the ArenaNet dev who mentioned he felt like writing February’s content was like writing an invasion of another country, that he wrote Marjory so much he started misspelling similar words and another mention of Thaumanova. We also know this is the end of the Scarlet arc.

Putting it together it seems like Do Not Touch is related to Thaumanova, that Scarlet’s final plans are like an invasion and the Living Story cast is heavily involved.

People already figured out the Thaumanova link (there was speculation on it before we even saw Scarlet inside the fractal), Scarlet’s end only made sense to involve a mass scale fight (she’s already had Molten Alliance, Clockwork Horror, Aetherblade and Toxic Alliance invasions – it wouldn’t make sense for her final appearance not to involve another large scale fight, hopefully more impactful than Queen’s Jubilee) and the Living Story cast.

I hope the tweets from those fansites are something to do with the features update. Depending on what it is, it could be something to get excited about.

Posted by: Imthespa.7624

Imthespa.7624

Scarlet 2.0 this is filler this is filler

Posted by: Fox.1054

Fox.1054

A Guild Wars sequel is in the make?!