Something big is coming in 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

@Shiren
I remember reading it somewhere but can you post source?

I also think that LS in theory is better idea for GW2 than expansion. Player base will not double but map will and more empty areas are not what I’m expecting. Gamepaly wise LS is entertaining only if writing were better…

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

2014 is going to be an amazing year for GW2 and the community!

Chris

Can you specifically tell us what your exactly working on? I promise I won’t tell the other people at Arenanet that you posted a response to this. Think about it, there are hundreds/thousands of threads! What are the chances another dev will look at what your reply is in one of those threads? It can be our little secret! Did I convince you?

Then I must bring out the big guns… IN THE NAME OF SCOUTMASTER ARNE, I COMMAND YOU TO TELL ME! please? with a BIG fat cherry on top!?

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Lets see.. they will keep us busy till April with Scarlet story then there will be some SAB and Dragon bash so pretty much in the summer, we will see the new BIG update.
So, around of 2nd year of GW2 we might get an expansion (paid or free, who knows).
But wait, they will not release a new map but they will start to fill up the existing map with playable zones.

As we saw, they opened Southsun cove and the Zephir sanctum.. These zones are in our map not i some external territory like Mad Kings Realm
This means they have started to design the lower part of the map and these were just hints given to us.

If we count that the LS is done by a small part of the A-Net workers, then we can imagine the rest have been working on the new expansion which certainly will be in the lower part of the map

All this being said, the living story was a method to keep players interested in the game because we all know people got lvl 80 and legendary in the first few months from the start. These people needed something to do because they are the so called rushers . They get everything really fast and then have nothing to do.

How to keep these people in the game? making Living story updates every 2 weeks.
The rest of players still have things to do because they have less time… so they were not a “problem” of not having what to do.

Conclusion
2 years is enough to develop a new expansion aka more zones in the current map
LS is keeping every one busy both hardcore and casual players till “it is ready”

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Posted by: Polishpk.2985

Polishpk.2985

Chris

I will pay for an expansion without hesitation.

IGN: Polish P K Profession: Elementalist World: Maguuma
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/A-few-ideas-3/first#post3433815

Posted by: Ethaine.8419

Ethaine.8419

The death of Scarlet which requires me to punch her hard in her salad cheeks would do wonders, but we all know that won’t happen.

(edited by Ethaine.8419)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

anyone seen this? its a portal. andthere’s a broken bridge. its never been here before

Been there since the beginning I think.

That’s the portal that would take us north of Brisban Wildands I believe. It’s no different than the Queen’s gate or the other door that would lead to the Crystal Desert when they finally feel like releasing those zones. Right now, they are all just place holders.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Chris

It better be amazing… and this better not be more of the same empty hype. The game was said to be something everyone even MMO haters would enjoy and while i have enjoyed the game it is pretty clear it has several flaws to address.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

I’d like to see the Blog post for 2014

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

If GW2 will turn out to be amazing; it’ll be added to the long list of amazing games coming out this year. If not, no loss; plenty of other games to play.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

How many people work @ A-net? 100-200? 4teams on LS, artists, PvP team, wvw team, balance team, and QA-team. What about the lead designers, what about the others? are they just playing Rytlock Critter Rampage all day?

I still have hopes for a hidden X-pack or something, Remember the release date? it just got announced 1 month before release…

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Permanent and at your own pace content, of Guild Wars expansion/beyond caliber?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Living Story will not cut it.

It has to be bigger.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Something better than an expansion? This can only be a campaign, like Factions and Nightfall

If it’s not a campaign or expansion, I doubt it will be anything special. But against my better judgement, I’m hoping!

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think you mean “Because the Devs over there happen to share my tastes – which is to say ‘I like dungeons’. Or at least their press releases lead me to think so.”

The part of ‘the community’ that is me thinks dungeons are all right, but barbaric Ratchet-&-Clank graphics designed to run on the lowest common denominator dinosaur of a rig don’t do much for me. I hope you find your fun there when it stops being boundless, ethereal potential and resolves into an actual game come launch day.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

“PvE focused releases every 2 weeks”
“ArenaNet doesn’t give a kitten about PvE!”

Does not compute…

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Unknown.2796

Unknown.2796

sPvP – Capture the flag, confirmed.

Location, location, location.

Posted by: Fox.1054

Fox.1054

Something better than an expansion? This can only be a campaign, like Factions and Nightfall

If it’s not a campaign or expansion, I doubt it will be anything special. But against my better judgement, I’m hoping!

New GW1 campaign.

New GW1 campaign.

No. GW2 desperately needs it, whereas gw1 does not (because gw1 already has 2 + and expansion).

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Chris

I want to believe this, I really… really, really do.

It’s just so hard to have any kind of faith in this game becoming something I want to play for years to come.

- Lack of quality of life features, ones that have been asked for since day 1
- Lack of bug fixes (Including bugs that have existed from day 1)
- Ignoring legitimate threads in the bug forum, whilst not fixing them
- Ignoring legitimate threads EVERYWHERE in the forums
- Only replying to fluff threads on the forums (Like this one)
- Huge emphasis on the gem store
- Lack of build saving/loading
- Lack of lore / working with established content
- Scarlet instead of the above ^ (sigh..)
- Lack of individual player skill, zerg = win

These are only a few of the disheartening problems we have all experienced with the game, which have not been address, or appear to be worked on. I said QOL features as a general statement, there are A LOT of things that fit under there.

I could make that list A LOT longer.

What I want to know is, what goes on behind the scenes at ANet, besides appearing to have everyone working on scarlet and gem store items? Surely you have a team dedicated to fixing bugs and improving the game in general? Surely?

I beg of you to surprise me this year.

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

They’re smart enough to realise that they have to do something significant in order to ensure that they aren’t swamped by the other online games coming through in 2014. 2013 was sparse for competition, but with ESO and others in 2014 nothing short of an expansion pack will be needed to maintain the player base.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

They will fill up the Map we already have with zones starting from the lower part. This includes Crystal Desert like in Prophesies but NO Elona NOR Factions. Those were in different maps. Why is it so hard to see it?
Until they will fill up all the map we have now there won’t be released any other continents, planets or galaxies to explore

I attached the Map from GW1 prophesies and the GW2 Map so to let you understand better

I am sure this full map was scheduled for the release date then they couldn’t finish it in time or they were not too satisfied with it and then they decided to split it up in more releases.
They planned t release small bits of it through living story but they saw the community wants expansions so they decided to make living stories to keep people in the game and then release a bigger portion of the map.
In the same time they tested various game mechanics and gathered the feedback and suggestions from many people.
So this is what I think and all will be available somewhere in summer when GW2 will have 2nd year

Attachments:

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

At the very LEAST I expect Crystal Desert, far shiverpeaks and magumma opened up, with responding dungeons available too. If they don’t do something MAJOR like this…then peoples patience will run out.

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

This man is right. Something big is coming in 2014.

Attachments:

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

At the very LEAST I expect Crystal Desert, far shiverpeaks and magumma opened up, with responding dungeons available too. If they don’t do something MAJOR like this…then peoples patience will run out.

You aren’t wrong. The more I look at these maps the more i want to know what’s there. Major uncovering at the 2-year anniversary with a smaller uncovering before then would be fairly satisfactory (for me).

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Lendruil.9061

Lendruil.9061

Scarlet will die in the first patch. Released Content will be temporary. New Content will not be zerging around a circle. New Dungeons and Elite-Areas are released. They contain hard fights and skips that require tactic and teamplay. They contain bosses that nobody manages to kill within the first few weeks, until tactics are elaborated. Their rewards are adapted to their length and difficulty.

Skuldin - No Hesitation [hT]

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

Big news?
I have a strong feeling he’s talking vaguely. Probably in terms of “big news for us, not so much for you”…

I think, in 2014, they’ll have the China Release.
Last I heard of it, they were doing beta tests mid 2013… and even a quick snoop on the GW2 china forums shows that it’s still not up there.

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

As I have seen in my email. Final test of Edge of the Mists will be January 9th.
So 2014 we will have new map for WvW.

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Great for the community?

I hope that Queen Jennah finally reveals himself to be King Jennah and that he is going to make Trahearne the King of Kryta. He then marries Logan.

Trahearne however, executes anyone who poses a potential threat to the throne, including Jennah and Logan. Then he begins rewriting history, with photoshopped paintings showing that it was really him that defeated the Lich, Shiro and stopped Abaddon’s release. He then organises the King Trahearne Jubilee, where everyone has to take part, otherwise they are executed. A Kryta-wide ban on the Blacklion Trading Post is also announced. Asura gates also become heavily regulated.

Then he announces that Skritt/human relationships are legal.

Long live King Trahearne!!

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

Ahh … Promises….end then…. Living story end more of that…end more of that..
Honestly … i dont have any expectation for GW2 014…. Thankfully i have my awesome guild end they keep me playing..if not for them .. i will stop play long time ago.
This year will be no different … if Anet want to do something great …awesome…If not …well ..to bad for them… New MMOs are coming end loosing players ..wont be a problem…

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Scarlet will die in the first patch.

Will she be made into a salad afterward that the player can eat? And if that player happens to be a Sylvari, would that make him/her a cannibal?

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Pandas are coming over to gw2

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Chris

It better be amazing… and this better not be more of the same empty hype. The game was said to be something everyone even MMO haters would enjoy and while i have enjoyed the game it is pretty clear it has several flaws to address.

Oh, I’m sure it will be amazing.

The crash of the Hindenburg was also amazing. Just amazingly BAD, instead of amazingly good.

Will 2014 be amazingly good, or amazingly bad for GW2? I can’t say, but with everything coming out this year, and the China release likely happening this year, it’s a safe bet that it will be one of the two.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

A full expansion for free?

Edit: No srsly, now they have me curious. Meh, we’ll see what the year brings, it’s only just begun after all..

But the thing that many GW2 fail to realize is that we already get that. It’s called Living Story :P

It’s just that Living Story gives you new content every 2 weeks while an expansion you need to wait more than a year to get content all at once.

I’m thinking we get to see some new maps brought back to life from the original GW. Maybe we will get to go to the Crystal Desert after all and deal with the dragon there ;S

The living story new content in no way whatsoever qualifies as an expansion or does it even mimic an expansion. It’s just additional repetitve content in a different package.
An expansion would bring a new world/maps with new content,pve,quests etc. Going around old maps getting old socks and hats, or dragon scales or whatever is not.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Pandas are coming over to gw2

After what happened to that game that shall not be named, I doubt if any MMO will ever release pandas again. Like ever

(edited by Karizee.8076)

Posted by: allstarpro.4610

allstarpro.4610

Just throwing this out there. I want Cantha! lol, though I do look forward to some more of Tyria. Hopefully we get something like the old UW and FoW back.

Sovereign Union leader

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

The living story new content in no way whatsoever qualifies as an expansion or does it even mimic an expansion. It’s just additional repetitve content in a different package.
An expansion would bring a new world/maps with new content,pve,quests etc. Going around old maps getting old socks and hats, or dragon scales or whatever is not.

This, this, and more of this. QFT.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

This, this, and more of this. QFT.

I agree. And most of it has been temporary, or a lot of cash shop stuff(which is OK, but don’t dare to tell me earnable and achievable skins/content/gear/etc/whatever has been added to the game and still is there.

As far as I am concerned, minimal perma content and acquirable “stuff” via playing the game with a realistic chance of earning it, has been added in 16 months.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Attachments:

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I think the Living Story CAN provide an expansion’s worth of content. It CAN provide new maps and new content. There’s no real reason why it can’t. The only limitation is how much can be given at any one time.

And that’s kinda the question with the LS. Would players be content getting say, one new zone every two months or would they rather have six new zones every year all at once? (Yes, that is entirely theoretical, making assumptions as to the amount of content that’s possible in one year’s time).

Would it be worth it financially if they lose say 25% of the playerbase who won’t accept anything less than a traditional expansion but the LS proves to have lower development costs (It IS a LOT cheaper to distribute content digitally than in physical form, after all)?

GW2 wants to try, I guess. I’m content to let them.

I think the Living Story CAN provide an expansion’s worth of content.

Yes but will it? That’s the question.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

What I hope to see in 2014:

- Return of Zephyr Sanctum
- Legendary armor (around the end of December 2014 would be appropriate)
- Legendary Trinkets
- Dyeable Weapons
- Exotic/Legendary Dyes with animations/glow/sparkles/special effects
- Able to pick up surrounding lootbags when dead in WvW
- Ascended gear being given stat switch ability
- More ways of obtaining ascended chests (through currencies such as karma, badges of honor, fractal relics, pristine fractal relics, etc. etc.)
- Some sort of living story which will make players a fair bit of money (had too many gold sinks lately with obtaining the materials for ascended weapons, ascended armor, countless epic gemstore items that were pretty much must-have’s, getting crafting to 500, the list goes on…)
- GW1 weapon and armor skins available as rewards in GW2
- More elite skills (and to make it extremely fun, you’d have to do what we had to in GW1 by going out and killing a particular boss that has the elite that you want, and capture the elite skill by standing near its corpse and absorbing/learning the skill)
- A new class (hopefully bringing back the Ritualist from GW1, but I’m not counting my chickens just yet :-/)
- A new race

What I suspect we’ll see in 2014:

- Legendary Trinkets/500 Chef & 500 Jeweller
- Return of a few living stories like Super Adventure Box and hopefully Zephyr Sanctum

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

The LS update vs. Expansion is actually a great example of some Human psychology.

People rather get a expansion ( A big amount of content at one time (and get one every year))
than
Get the LS (A bigger amount of content, but spread over a year)

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The sudden planetwide emergence of the Quaggan Empire?

So long as next year we get to see the Return of the Mursaat!

So agony everywhere and you’ll need to have ascended gear and infusions or die … uh no thanks. That would be worse than the toxic stuff.

Actually it was part joke/star wars reference, and part serious.

The White Mantle are in the game, but their unseen gods aren’t. What’s up with that?

I don’t think the lore ever discussed Mursaat reproduction. :P
Maybe they are all sterile.
The other thing to consider. Maybe they are around. Had to be ascended to see the Mursaat. That required both the human gods (MIA) and the Crystal Desert (inaccessible).

Posted by: four ace trump cards.4506

four ace trump cards.4506

I will not except anything less of every thing! Yep I want everything even the bad stuff even the ugly bugs you find while questing even that one azure character AI that isn’t wearing any armor because the texture isn’t added so he is forced to trot around in his boxers any thing to break the repetitiveness that is guild wars 2 today. Any thing to change the world in a big way, not adding a few fetch, and grab quests, and saying here is a random bad guy now fight him for no reason! Build the lore, build a new area around the lore, build some bugs and naked azures to tarnish that lore and then clean it up, and then act like it was never there to begin with! This game is slowly dying when i played it in the beta i was astonished with the game and all it had to offer, but now it is offering less and less. I mean come on if i was a anet worker id be ashamed of myself, and say hey co workers lets get back to the drawing board, and show our competitors why we are number one, why we are the best, and why we stand where we are! Instead of slowly letting the company disappoint fans, and over hyping boring content I understand that you need the income, and that you need the resources to make new content, but it does not have to be free i would personally scratch up every penny i had to add a pile of content to the game that would rival the name expansion as we know it. Im just saying anet please please please gives us a monster patch that will bring the player base to the millions. You see our expectations are down now slam your legendary scepters into us and shock us with excitement.
I am done with my rant now gone to start another alt.

Posted by: Principe.3297

Principe.3297

I will not except anything less of every thing! Yep I want everything even the bad stuff even the ugly bugs you find while questing even that one azure character AI that isn’t wearing any armor because the texture isn’t added so he is forced to trot around in his boxers any thing to break the repetitiveness that is guild wars 2 today. Any thing to change the world in a big way, not adding a few fetch, and grab quests, and saying here is a random bad guy now fight him for no reason! Build the lore, build a new area around the lore, build some bugs and naked azures to tarnish that lore and then clean it up, and then act like it was never there to begin with! This game is slowly dying when i played it in the beta i was astonished with the game and all it had to offer, but now it is offering less and less. I mean come on if i was a anet worker id be ashamed of myself, and say hey co workers lets get back to the drawing board, and show our competitors why we are number one, why we are the best, and why we stand where we are! Instead of slowly letting the company disappoint fans, and over hyping boring content I understand that you need the income, and that you need the resources to make new content, but it does not have to be free i would personally scratch up every penny i had to add a pile of content to the game that would rival the name expansion as we know it. Im just saying anet please please please gives us a monster patch that will bring the player base to the millions. You see our expectations are down now slam your legendary scepters into us and shock us with excitement.
I am done with my rant now gone to start another alt.

This, I want changes with the world. That’s all I want >_<

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret – Kirito (Sword Art Online)

Posted by: AzureShiron.7658

AzureShiron.7658

Honestly there is no pleasing any of you, youre all so bitter and have your own expectations that when anet trys something that does not meat your standerd its bad. I also am rather sure that they got the point of “we hate scarlet yada yada yada” loud and clear but they cant just up and kill her off and pretend it never happend as of the amazing sugestions on the forums said they should do. A lot of you just want instint gratification and want it all in one big go and even then if they did a “traditional expansion” what will you do when your done? what if it doesnt have this or that? what if it didnt take you where you wanted? you wont be happy even if you get it. Lets not also forget that gw1 had three campaings and eotn as an expansion then years of nothing. Litterly no content updates outside of the holiday stuff. guild wars beyond didnt come around till the sixth or seven year it was out so no it didnt have all these amazing expansions.

If you think this post is about you, it probably is

Ever quest next lol Gw is going to be competing with elder scroll online because of dragons, and what knots, o wait never mind I was just told that it isn’t a competition if you can’t compete. Welp good luck guild wars ill still be rooting for you on the other side. Naw i kid ill be playing on both sides of the fence. It’s just ill be spending more time on the one that has that wonderfully built new playground, because it’s funner than the one that only has that one tire swing that will slowly collect cobwebs and rust only to be broken by that one fat kid that wants to sit down for a break and eat ice cream.

Did some one say apples?

Posted by: Azzer.8137

Azzer.8137

You guys are totally kittening annoying they make a game with loads of free contents, some permanent most temporary they work hard as well to make this game, seriously if you guys dislike the game so much and what they are doing with it why the kitten are you still playing?.

I just don’t get it.

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

You guys are totally kittening annoying they make a game with loads of free contents, some permanent most temporary they work hard as well to make this game, seriously if you guys dislike the game so much and what they are doing with it why the kitten are you still playing?.

I just don’t get it.

Calm down

you mean you dont care what you get aslong as it is free?

quality over quantity

I could always pull a Tybalt, one apple every two weeks is good, but ten bags of apples and a cup of apple juice, apple pie, apple sider and apple sauce taste great!

New expansion idea tybalt returns with a bag of apples!

(edited by four ace trump cards.4506)