Something big is coming in 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

You guys are totally kittening annoying they make a game with loads of free contents, some permanent most temporary they work hard as well to make this game, seriously if you guys dislike the game so much and what they are doing with it why the kitten are you still playing?.

I just don’t get it.

I’m being critical because I care. If I didn’t care or like this game I would simply play something else.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

The LS update vs. Expansion is actually a great example of some Human psychology.

People rather get a expansion ( A big amount of content at one time (and get one every year))
than
Get the LS (A bigger amount of content, but spread over a year)

Umm.. the combined LS content of 2013 is like 1/4th of an expansion, if even that… You’d have to be smoking something really strong to think otherwise.

Lets not also forget that gw1 had three campaings and eotn as an expansion then years of nothing. Litterly no content updates outside of the holiday stuff.

Haha you obviously weren’t around when Guild Wars 1 came out because you’d know how much they changed from launch that wasn’t in expansion. Remember when you had to spend Attribute Refund Points to change your stats? Remember when they Added Greens? Remember when they added Grenth’s Footprint & Sorrows Furnace? Remember when they added Guild Hall features? Remember when they added Domain of Anguish? Remember Costumes? Remember When they made it so you could have 7 Heroes?
sorry, there is a ton of stuff they added that was not in expansions.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

You guys are totally kittening annoying they make a game with loads of free contents, some permanent most temporary they work hard as well to make this game, seriously if you guys dislike the game so much and what they are doing with it why the kitten are you still playing?.

I just don’t get it.

I’m being critical because I care. If I didn’t care or like this game I would simply play something else.

This. So much this.
Why some people don’t understand this is beyond me.

People who do hate the game just leave. You don’t see them on the forum anymore. If we’re here it’s because we want the game to be better. Can you achieve that by telling the devs you love the game and everything is perfect? No.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Actually a lot of activity in GW1 end game was farming, speed clears, title farming. Actually completing content with a organized team to try for awesome gear was a lot of fun. There really is no awesome gear that you can farm in this game. You just have to play the time gate, or cash shop game. Which I find to be quite un-amusing

You could get tired of that, but that goes with anything.

Awesome Gear? In general, what you were grinding for was mats and cash for skins. Not too much different here, except for Ascended gear, which has its own set of problems.

Farming? In general, except for a few named weapons, farming was for mats and cash. Sound familiar?

Speed Clears? Another form of mat farming. I ran UW speed clears. It was no less of a “job” than farming for mats here. The big question when you got out of UW wasn’t “Was it fun?” It was “How many ectos did you get?”

Title Farming? The titles in GW1 were gained through massive amounts of grind/farming. People seem to forget that.

The thing is that GW2 is fun. Asking for an expansion isn’t going to solve the problems people have with farming and grinding. All it will do is give you more areas to grind in.

I’d rather have it packaged in nice little chunks ever few weeks instead of needing to go out and purchase another box.

I respectfully disagree. If I wanted to, I could also compare “pepper” with “salt” by a margin, but I, and many of the players I know/knew would also agree that the dungeons, items, and armor, felt more prestigious and were fun to get.

The way a party was designed and everyone had a role defined GW1, in GW2 it’s not so and the rewards at the end don’t compare (imo).

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I think the Living Story CAN provide an expansion’s worth of content. It CAN provide new maps and new content. There’s no real reason why it can’t. The only limitation is how much can be given at any one time.

I agree, the living story ‘COULD’, however it hasn’t. It’s recycled—-insert map(s) here, add lots of stuff to search and find, add aggravating mechanic that one kills players, add lots of respawns with overly strong armour etc, increase DR, don’t fix RNG, change graphics, take SP PVE play out of the equation.
Rinse and repeat.

The only limitation seems to be from somewhere up the companys’ chain.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

New maps only keep you busy and interested for so long. When you run it once it feels like a horrible chore to do it on your alts. Then as somebody mentioned, you’re back in LA listening to the kiddies talk about their plans to grind away for the latest item being dangled like a carrot.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i know i know…. a new expansion call :

“Rise of the Skritts”

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Consider me intrigued, but I’ll wait and see before praising or condemning the new content. Based on Lewis’s comments and Chris’s post here though, I’m going to make the following predictions:

- r500 Jeweler/Chef (this one’s pretty much a given)
- PvE/PvP Armor Wardrobe (quite likely given the news about PvE/PvP skin rewards being merged
- Precursor Crafting
- New Legendaries/Legendary Armor
- Guild Halls/Player Housing, with GvG being introduced as an new PvP mode (badly needed IMO, for bigger guilds that are overflowing with merits/influence)
- Tengu as a new playable race, along with an expansion to the Personal Story with new playable maps (possibly lead-on to a Cantha Living Story/expansion in the future, seeing as Lewis did say it wasn’t an expansion this time around)

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I just don’t get it.

The second that the majority of player no longer care; they no longer complain. They stop playing and disappear.

Less than 5% of dissatisfied customers voice their dissatisfaction. What do you think the other 95% do? They just disappear.

As a company, how much would you value your customer’s complaints?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Indeed, this game has so much potential but it gets wasted with bad management and junior gamedesigners it’s really a shame. There are 3 major releases planned this year that are in direct competition to GW2, they better come up with something good. Like Cantha expansion.

Which 3 might that be?
As far as I am aware all major releases this year will be P2P and thus not in direct competition with GW2 B2P model.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Remember guys, it was LewisB from a GW2 press site that said “Something better than an expansion” as a joke with some other people. Then everything else has escalated out of proportion based on that subjective quote.

Who knows what LewisB finds better than an expansion at this point; with the LS being majority of content happening in 2013. If I’m to guess at future of GW2 in 2014, Scarlet’s “Mysterious Probes” will awaken/unleash another elder dragon in the world, and maybe we’ll get back to facing elder dragons (like we should). And given the new EotM map for WvW, I’m guessing they’ve been practicing making desert areas because we’ll be heading to the Crystal Desert and see the return of Kralkatorrik at some point soon – although I’d expect Primordius to be the one awakened by the mysterious probes.

Of course, I want nothing more than Cantha/Elona/Far Shiverpeaks regions with lots of new zones, horizontal progression, professions, races, skills, weapons and the whole shebang, but I just have downplay my own expectations so I don’t get upset when this information the press sites is sitting on right now gets revealed.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Indeed, this game has so much potential but it gets wasted with bad management and junior gamedesigners it’s really a shame. There are 3 major releases planned this year that are in direct competition to GW2, they better come up with something good. Like Cantha expansion.

Which 3 might that be?
As far as I am aware all major releases this year will be P2P and thus not in direct competition with GW2 B2P model.

TESO – P2P – and bound to bomb in its first 3 months based on how much it’s getting things wrong in beta and only 4 months to release
WS – P2P – WoW in space by ex-Blizzard people, going to cater to a small niche
EQ:N/L – not sure it’s even 2014 for this, but as F2P maybe comes closest to rival GW2 in some respect

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

My guess: ANet will announce the development of GW3. With the transition from GW1 to GW2 they got rid of the holy trinity system. With the transition from GW2 to GW3 they will get rid with the classes. Everyone will be a warrior – lol.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

My guess: ANet will announce the development of GW3. With the transition from GW1 to GW2 they got rid of the holy trinity system. With the transition from GW2 to GW3 they will get rid with the classes. Everyone will be a warrior – lol.

This made my day! Thanks random Mr/Mrs from the internet!

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

WTB giving the player the choice to how to get ascended armor and weapons , like exotic weapon and armor sets. Via Crafting, drops, via dungeon tokens and karma etc.

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

Why is everyone talking/asking about legendary armor ? It’s been stated that maybe legendary trinkets will be on the horizon, but nobody ever said anything about legendary armor. Hope this never happens we dont need yet another huge imba grind !

play hard , go pro.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

There are already chat codes for legendary armor(chest piece at least) but I don’t know if that’s for devs to be able to do fractals in livestream or it’s future content. Also cba to read 7 pages of words so if someone already said this, whatever.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Maybe these chat codes will go live…

[&AgGSvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Frostfang
[&AgGTvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Kudzu
[&AgGUvwAA] My Journal: Seeking the Lover
[&AgGVvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Spark
[&AgGWvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Bard
[&AgGXvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Dawn
[&AgGYvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Dusk
[&AgGZvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Colossus
[&AgGavwAA] My Journal: Seeking Carcharias
[&AgGbvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Energizer
[&AgGcvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Chaos Gun
[&AgGdvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Hunter
[&AgGevwAA] My Journal: Seeking Storm
[&AgGfvwAA] My Journal: Seeking the Chosen
[&AgGgvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Legend
[&AgGhvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Rage
[&AgGivwAA] My Journal: Seeking Zap
[&AgGjvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Rodgort’s Flame
[&AgGkvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Venom
[&AgGlvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Howl
[&AgGmvwAA] My Journal: Seeking Rodgort

[&AgGvvwAA] The Legend of Flameseeker Prophecies
[&AgGwvwAA] The Legend of Kudzu
[&AgGxvwAA] The Legend of Frenzy
[&AgGyvwAA] The Legend of the Moot
[&AgGzvwAA] The Legend of the Predator
[&AgG0vwAA] The Legend of Twilight
[&AgG1vwAA] The Legend of Bifrost
[&AgG2vwAA] The Legend of Howler
[&AgG3vwAA] The Legend of the Juggernaut
[&AgG4vwAA] The Legend of Kraitkin
[&AgG5vwAA] The Legend of Minstrel

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

These chat codes have been out there for a long time now. Craftable precursors is something that is certain to be out pretty soon.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Interview with devs coming later today. Maybe we will get some tidbits

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2Hub

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Oh, that is probably what was hinted about with those tweets then.
And it also suggests that we will see a blogpost either today or tomorrow.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

“Something big is coming”?

What’s bigger than a dragon?

Attachments:

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Vol.7601

Have they even released a timetable for Season 4? I want some white walkers ;_;

Corpus Christi.2057

Season 4 premieres prolly on 30 March.^^

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

Wow this spiralled down hill fast.
this comparison of gw1-2 is annoying. story wise they were totally different games an so they’d have different mechanics etc.
ascended gear is what exotic should have been – a hard to get armour set that requires a lot of effort.
the living world, although a tedious start, story wise it was the right call. put this this was spoilers if you still haven’t killed zaitan:
you kill Zaitan, you use up all your resources to do it and you cure Arah. what do you do next? go after the next dragon? but you have no resources, you’ve lost cities in the fight and the roads are littered the corpses of the dead/former undead. only option is to chill till someone else cleans up your mess. but evil never waits and the world keeps moving.

I’ll put it this was. list the story points of gw1 in the first year 1/2 and gw2 including living world till now (1year 1/2 or so) see how they compare.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

If you don’t think others games are DIRECTLY competing with Guild Wars 2 for players’ time and money then you’ve lost touch with reality.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I think zommoros will break free and then proceed to take back all items he gave during his tenure as a “servant” to the greedy Tyrians in LA. He will then smite Scarlett down and the world be under his domain.

GW3 Confirmed

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

2014 is going to be an amazing year for GW2 and the community!

Chris

Go on.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Pandas are coming over to gw2

After what happened to that game that shall not be named, I doubt if any MMO will ever release pandas again. Like ever

I like the Panda expansion. I am also a veteran WoW player.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Spawne.3128

Spawne.3128

I think whatever it is, we can safely assume that it will….

1) revolve around scarlet
2) require the purchase of gems
3) require more grinding and crafting
4) have a utterly boring and fast paced plot
5) have no real reward at the end

Of course that’s just being realistic. In the back of my mind, i hope that the entire world gets thrown upside down, they incorporate some sense of realism with the living world, add 3000 new items including weapons and armor. Re-skin kitten near everything, including ascended gear, so I dont have to backwards trans-mutate everything I worked so hard for, and make my magic find actually do something towards getting cool drops, like precursors.

Posted by: Valdur.3607

Valdur.3607

The LS update vs. Expansion is actually a great example of some Human psychology.

People rather get a expansion ( A big amount of content at one time (and get one every year))
than

It’s not the amount of content the problem,it’s just that the Living Story is not that living.The game has changed from MMORPG to MMO Achievements Online with each LS.

Vol.7601

Dev interview will be coming later today, perhaps past 5 pm EST, according to guild2hub

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

These chat codes have been out there for a long time now. Craftable precursors is something that is certain to be out pretty soon.

Crafting? Now you ruined the joy for all of us non – crafters

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

Dev interview will be coming later today, perhaps past 5 pm EST, according to guild2hub

Curious – who’s conducting the interview? Just an internal Anet dev interview?
I have a really strong feeling it’ll beat around the bush of anything specifically, and probably reinforce the comments about 2013 being a strong year, and 2014 being even stronger.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I just don’t get it.

Free content? I paid for this game. And was willing to pay for an expansion so they did not have to go generate income with micro-translations because that always destroys a games. Sadly enough they did go for the micro-transactions. Makes you wonder why I paid in the first place. More then enough F2P games on the market and I don’t play them because of the way it effects the way the game is designed.

Anyway, don’t talk about free content. I paid for this game and was very willing to pay for upcoming expansions. Looking back it’s rude they asked money for a game that is just going the F2P way with there micro-transactions.

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

Chris

Too specific to be true…

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

than

Well thats not the main problem. It’s the type of content. That however is linked to the living story by the income-model.

It’s the type of content many people don’t like. It’s all a gold grind. Why is it all a gold grind, because the game is designed around the idea they need to get people to buy gems. So you don’t put mini’s in the open world but in a cash-shop or behind a gold grind (same with many other examples have a read: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571 )

When they go for the living story, the way they need to generate income is with the micro-transactions so you get this influence to the game. If they would use expansions to generate income they where not forces to make game design decisions based on getting people to buy gems and so the content would be much better.

Now lets say they would not need to make money then in theory a LS could work if it would indeed all be additions (not just temporary grinds) however there is still one big problem.. people will complete is to easily. Maybe it’s more useful to be over whelmed by content in stead of getting many small additions every time.

Anyway, the company does need to make money and with that fact the LS vs Expansion approach does effect game design from a money point of view and so the LS does indeed not work very well for the quality of the game. However, it looks more and more that Ncsoft just tries to squeeze out as much money as they can and then move on. No long term plants. So from there viewpoint everything might be just fine.

I expect some new maps and the Tengu at the end of this season / start of the next season (so that looks a little like a expansion in the way that it’s a bigger chunk of content in one go) but that can not safe the game if they keep doing it the way they do now.. so have the game-design being influenced by the idea that they need to get people to buy gems.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Chris

Go on.

This

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

My personal opinion is that ANet is waiting until later in the spring, probably late March to early April before they release anything major (Closer to the TESO launch). Perhaps some living world stuff in between. It makes sense in that they try to re-engage their core base of players before major competition is released and whether anyone likes it or not, F2P, P2P, doesn’t matter, TESO, will be a major competitor, at least for the first few months, until we see just how buggy things are and how well the game plays. Some industry sites claim it’s the most anticipated game in the history of computer gaming. I don’t know if this is true, but it does set it up for either an epic success or epic failure and not much in between. I can tell you that GW2 has ~1M likes on facebook and TESO has ~1.7M, while Neverwinter only has about 200K, so there is A LOT of interest. Nearly everyone I know who games plans to try TESO, whether it’s a subscription based or not.

Keep in mind too, GW2 has had well over a year to streamline things and work out a lot of the bugs. Early on, GW2 had some pretty ugly bugs that stopped progress, many which persisted for months, and ANet has had a less than stellar track record with new content which is more often than not terribly buggy, plagued with lag or just plain broken.

I love GW2, I wouldn’t be on the forum or play the game daily otherwise, but I believe they will have some serious competition in the coming months and that ANet will need to step up their game, so to speak. Rehashed and/or temporary content won’t be enough to keep people’s interest forever.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I just don’t get it.

Calm down

you mean you dont care what you get aslong as it is free?

quality over quantity

Agree 100% and a+1 to you.
It seems too many players accept quantity over quality. Yep sure has been alot of free stuff, too bad there wasn’t more quality included.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Corpus Christi.2057

I just don’t get it.

Calm down

you mean you dont care what you get aslong as it is free?

quality over quantity

Agree 100% and a+1 to you.
It seems too many players accept quantity over quality. Yep sure has been alot of free stuff, too bad there wasn’t more quality included.

That’s precisely the reason this game has turned into that quantity-over-quality direction. The most of the playerbase just sticks to the fact that, once the game has been bought, it’s f2p so “we have to accept the way the things go”, i.e. lots of poor ( quality-wise ) LS updates.
That’s just wrong. In order to keep the interest of the playerbase ( longterm ), the quality has to take over the quantity. And again, this is why the current GW2 LS model would be worse to an old GW1 expansion-based model – GW1 expansions had enormous quality, while GW2 LS updates have inferior quality. It doesn’t matter that “we get lots of free content fortnightly”, what matters is the quality that keeps the interest of the playerbase for the longterm. Something that GW2 lacks, and consequently, fails at.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

than

The LS is not the equivalent of an expansion worth of content. I wish they people who have bought into that hype would stop saying it is. It’s not just pure content, it’s the quality of the content. The quality of the LS is not up to par. And quite frankly what has been released is not really the equivalent of an expansion anyway. Most people associate things like new zones, new classes, new races, new weapons, etc with expansions. We only got one very small new zone that not very many people even go to (Southsun Cove). Most of the LS was temporary. Now they’ve gotten a bit better with that and are putting in LS stuff that is more permanent, but they have a long way to go.

Now could they theoretically release expansion-like content through the LS? Sure, they could but they sure as hell haven’t so far. Part of me really wants to see Cantha and Elona and yet part of me is scared because the LS so far just hasn’t been very good. I don’t want Cantha and Elona ruined with a bad LS. I’m hoping we see an expansion. If they really intend on sticking to the LS format then they better pick it up because if the LS for 2014 is more of the same I’m going to be pretty disappointed.

And please, for the love of god…no more ascended gear or new tiers of gear.

Posted by: premie.9714

premie.9714

Personally, I think GW2 has the potential to be the best mmorpg game ever made, but large content updates NEED to be added. I like the living story, but the constant mini games, and few monsters that they temporarily bring will not ensure the longevity of the game.

I would love to see the other maps of guild wars 1 in guild wars 2.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

New Weapon sets (and thus new skills)
New utilities

New zones opened

Maybe even a new class

That’s what I want.

Vol.7601

Notes up

tldr: nothing interesting said about new content

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Crafting? Now you ruined the joy for all of us non – crafters

I always expected “crafting” precursors to involve throwing 4 items in the Mystic forge…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

More World Bosses will get revamp and harder like Teql.
source: http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/exclusive-interview-chris-whitside-cdis

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Eldric.2109

Eldric.2109

Hopefully this something big, is removing wvw from world completion…
or removing maps and making the game load stuff as you go. (one can always dream)

(edited by Eldric.2109)

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Hopefully this something big, is removing wvw from world completion…

Or removing the useless heart quests form world completion, yeah that`d be great too!

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!