Stop with Time Sinks / Dailies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Answer the question, please.

Agony resistance? What about roaming in WvW? That little extra is important. You are basically gimping yourself in that respect if you don’t “choose” to do it.

Agony Resistance I’ll give you, though so far that’s sectioned off in a little corner of the game I never have to deal with, and neither does anyone else.

Roaming in WvW is subject to so many other things which feed into it that I’m not even going to get into it. Suffice it to say, if you are roaming WvW alone and have to fight more than one person, you are better off running for cover instead of fighting. And even if you have to fight one person, don’t take them on their terms, take them on yours.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Where are dungeons mandatory because I haven’t needed to do any yet?

Why does it matter if Karma is primarily used for Orr armor or Cultural weapon(skin)s?

Dailies give me 4500 Karma, one Mystic Coin (which I’ve not used any yet since I don’t know what they are for or where I can use them), one Laurel and a bit of money (I think never really pay that much attention to it). I don’t consider any of those items SO “must have” to alter my play style for the day. I got my daily today/yesterday in the middle of a castle raid in WvW. I often get them in an dynamic event I joined simply because I’m passing by. I gather, because it’s along my way. I kill things, because they are along/in my way. Since I travel though multiple regions I end up killing a variety of things. I occasionally craft because I someday I really would like to be able to craft my own weapons someday. I salvage and sell to the TP because I believe a well supplied TP benefits all.

As for ubering up every character, show me a game where you can do that without putting in the time or paying actual money on each of your characters?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Myzer.9403

Myzer.9403

They’re complaining about WvW, which is a complete joke in regards to PvP.

sPvP, you are correct.

WvW is fun that is why I play it. Why wouldn’t you want more options to get ascended gear? Are you seriously okay with how it is right now?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

fractals and pvp obviously.

PvP doesn’t use Ascended gear, my friend.

PvP uses the stats from ascended gear. 2 rings wasn’t a big deal, but having all 6 accessories will make a difference.

i’d also be willing to bet there’s more ascended gear coming.

It makes a difference? But everyone is tuned to the same gear level when you get in, isn’t that so?

not in world vs world.

. . . you should have said World vs World. That’s why there was confusion.

No, the Ascended gear boost is not as important as you make it out to be. It’s one part of the whole, but the rest of it makes up for that difference.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Answer the question, please.

Agony resistance? What about roaming in WvW? That little extra is important. You are basically gimping yourself in that respect if you don’t “choose” to do it.

Agony Resistance I’ll give you, though so far that’s sectioned off in a little corner of the game I never have to deal with, and neither does anyone else.

Roaming in WvW is subject to so many other things which feed into it that I’m not even going to get into it. Suffice it to say, if you are roaming WvW alone and have to fight more than one person, you are better off running for cover instead of fighting. And even if you have to fight one person, don’t take them on their terms, take them on yours.

this argument falls flat. just because wvwvw is often 1 sided doesn’t mean you should just say “well kitten it” and not even attempt to make it balanced 1v1.

this is the logic that has given us superpowered thieves/mesmers/eles for the past 6 months.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Dailies give me 4500 Karma, one Mystic Coin (which I’ve not used any yet since I don’t know what they are for or where I can use them),

Mystic Coins are used in special recipes at the Mystic Forge. Generally you can make unique exotic weapons with them. Look on the Wiki for “Mystic Weapons”.

They also are an integral part of getting Legendary pieces.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

They’re complaining about WvW, which is a complete joke in regards to PvP.

sPvP, you are correct.

WvW is fun that is why I play it. Why wouldn’t you want more options to get ascended gear? Are you seriously okay with how it is right now?

Yep.

As tough as it seems for you to grasp, not everybody agrees with you.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

this argument falls flat. just because wvwvw is often 1 sided doesn’t mean you should just say “well kitten it” and not even attempt to make it balanced 1v1.

this is the logic that has given us superpowered thieves/mesmers/eles for the past 6 months.

I seem to recall ANet saying once before “we don’t try to completely balance WvW”. So they’re not attempting to make it completely balanced.

By the way, some of those “superpowered” thieves/mesmers/eles have been good pickings if I catch them roaming 1v1. Especially anywhere near a cliff.

Myzer.9403

I have to deal with it. So it is important to me. Just because you don’t do something doesn’t mean it isn’t as important. In those 1v1 fights sometimes it does come down to that little extra stat increase from gear.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I have to deal with it. So it is important to me. Just because you don’t do something doesn’t mean it isn’t as important. In those 1v1 fights sometimes it does come down to that little extra stat increase from gear.

Fix your quote attribution, it’s me who said that.

Shootsfoot.9276

Nice quote.

Too bad it’s not mine.

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

In any game you never need the best in slot gear to complete anything, but soon enough you will need it to lock in your place in regular groups if you want to do anything. So, you answer the question, why wouldn’t you want the best gear, especially more will be added?

I’d go even further with this:

In any game you should never need the gear tiers, player progression should be based on characters gaining more abilities or skill sets. Tying MMO progression to never ending loot curves results in a game that will burn itself and it’s players out.

After jumping sharks for so long, shark jumping gets boring.

Progress should be more akin to the trait system in the game and not gear stats and gated content based on gear.

vespers.1759

I seem to recall ANet saying once before “we don’t try to completely balance WvW”. So they’re not attempting to make it completely balanced.

By the way, some of those “superpowered” thieves/mesmers/eles have been good pickings if I catch them roaming 1v1. Especially anywhere near a cliff.

forgive me if i don’t believe stories from the guy who thought players got equal gear in world vs world.

my main gripe is the unbalance in wvwv. i don’t care about fractals. i just want some decent pvp.

Shootsfoot.9276

forgive me if i don’t believe stories from the guy who thought players got equal gear in world vs world.

LOL! Really? You actually played that card when it was clear he misunderstood you?

People crack me up.

Myzer.9403

Yep.

As tough as it seems for you to grasp, not everybody agrees with you.

It isn’t tough for me to grasp. I am not conceded. I understand people have different play styles. People, myself included, feel they should add other methods to get ascended gear. That is all. If you are okay with it that is great I am glad you’re happy with it. But I am not and I am voicing my concern with this trend of boring time sinks for ascended gear.

Myzer.9403

Nice quote.

Too bad it’s not mine.

Apologizes. I never get on the forums lol

Shootsfoot.9276

Nice quote.

Too bad it’s not mine.

Apologizes. I never get on the forums lol

Just giving you grief. :P

Tobias Trueflight.8350

my main gripe is the unbalance in wvwv. i don’t care about fractals. i just want some decent pvp.

Forgive me if you used “PvP” to mean “WvW” just to trap me with that. Classy.

vespers.1759

i thought it was obvious that world vs world was the only pvp zone with ascended gear.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Dailies give me 4500 Karma, one Mystic Coin (which I’ve not used any yet since I don’t know what they are for or where I can use them),

Mystic Coins are used in special recipes at the Mystic Forge. Generally you can make unique exotic weapons with them. Look on the Wiki for “Mystic Weapons”.

They also are an integral part of getting Legendary pieces.

Yes, I know that now but the game simply flings it at you with no explanation why it’s a reward. And I didn’t know where or what the Mystic Forge was, I just thought it was a fountain when I wandered past it in Lyon’s Arch for three months as I ran from the TP to the bank (maybe because it didn’t look like a forge). I always attributed the crowd ats the location because it was just a good common meeting place.

I don’t need floating exclamation points but send a letter telling me where to find someone to talk to to learn these things would be nice, at least the first time you roll a character or encounter some new currency or account bound item that isn’t obvious what it’s good for.

The wiki is only so useful. Click on laurel for instance and they will only tell you about the laurel merchants in the cities. So it’s no surprising that someone like me who haven’t done any Fractals in the three months I’ve been here wouldn’t know of their use there.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

i thought it was obvious that world vs world was the only pvp zone with ascended gear.

Well it would be obvious except there’s already a section of the game marked "PvP’. Which is different than WvW by a not-insignificant amount.

vespers.1759

Well it would be obvious except there’s already a section of the game marked "PvP’. Which is different than WvW by a not-insignificant amount.

last time i checked the wvwvw forums are in the pvp section… because you know… it’s a pvp zone…

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

“Stop with Time Sinks / Dailies”

Why? So we can replace one set of complaints (time sinks) with another (nothing to do)?

Protip: you’re not required to do dailies if you don’t want to. I, myself, appreciate being rewarded for something I was going to do anyway.

vespers.1759

“Stop with Time Sinks / Dailies”

Why? So we can replace one set of complaints (time sinks) with another (nothing to do)?

Protip: you’re not required to do dailies if you don’t want to. I, myself, appreciate being rewarded for something I was going to do anyway.

i’m also not required to get exotics, or do dungeons, or level at all. if i wanted to i could stand in a field and /dance 24h a day so does that mean we shouldn’t try to fix things we find ridiculous?

your argument is terrible.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

last time i checked the wvwvw forums are in the pvp section… because you know… it’s a pvp zone…

Last time I checked, it plays by PvE rules, because . . . it’s also PvE?

darkace.8925

i’m also not required to get exotics, or do dungeons, or level at all. if i wanted to i could stand in a field and /dance 24h a day so does that mean we shouldn’t try to fix things we find ridiculous?

That’s EXACTLY right. If you don’t find getting exotics, doing dungeons, or leveling at all to be fun, you’d be a kitten fool to waste time doing it. The simple solution…the ONLY solution…is to find something you enjoy doing and do that. And if you can’t find anything you enjoy doing, then it’s time to find another game to play. Period.

No, it isn’t. That you think it is tells me all I need to know about you.

vespers.1759

it doesn’t know what it is and that;s why it blows so much. the mobs and nodes should be removed and balance should be added.

anyway your defense is really failing so you should probably just give up. wvwvw is primarily a pvp zone and always will be despite the random pve elements that make no sense.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

That’s EXACTLY right. If you don’t find getting exotics, doing dungeons, or leveling at all to be fun, you’d be a kitten fool to waste time doing it. The simple solution…the ONLY solution…is to find something you enjoy doing and do that. And if you can’t find anything you enjoy doing, then it’s time to find another game to play. Period.

So instead of people trying to give feedback and express their concerns with suggestions (that many of us share I might add), you think we should just quit instead? So because we are unhappy with one aspect, and are providing our feedback on it, we should just leave the game.

You realize there would be barely anyone playing this game if we all took your completely logical approach right? I’m sure Anet appreciates you telling everyone to quit their game if they don’t like something, instead of providing feedback and expressing their concerns.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you’d stop lying to your friends about what’s needed to play the game, maybe word of mouth wouldn’t be so bad. But once you say you NEED this end game gear (which you would in other games, but not in this one), then you are essentially doing the game a disservice.

BIS gear is a must in most games because of gated content. Here’s it’s a luxury and a compromise.

Maybe you should let people who play this game explain it to your friends instead.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

it doesn’t know what it is and that;s why it blows so much. the mobs and nodes should be removed and balance should be added.

anyway your defense is really failing so you should probably just give up. wvwvw is primarily a pvp zone and always will be despite the random pve elements that make no sense.

. . . you listed WvW as PvP and not WvW and then decided to skewer me over me calling WvW “PvP” as you did before you suddenly changed the term up just to laugh.

If I act defensible it’s because you went and swapped my Coke for Diet Coke and laughed that I must have poured Diet Coke for myself when I didn’t like it.

vespers.1759

this is a head scratcher. so you’re saying you just stop doing everything/anything when you dislike something about it rather than try to fix it?

my you must have a good life.

vespers.1759

If you’d stop lying to your friends about what’s needed to play the game, maybe word of mouth wouldn’t be so bad. But once you say you NEED this end game gear (which you would in other games, but not in this one), then you are essentially doing the game a disservice.

BIS gear is a must in most games because of gated content. Here’s it’s a luxury and a compromise.

Maybe you should let people who play this game explain it to your friends instead.

did you even read? you DO NEED this gear for fractals.

vespers.1759

. . . you listed WvW as PvP and not WvW and then decided to skewer me over me calling WvW “PvP” as you did before you suddenly changed the term up just to laugh.

If I act defensible it’s because you went and swapped my Coke for Diet Coke and laughed that I must have poured Diet Coke for myself when I didn’t like it.

pvp means player vs player. please explain how wvwvw is not pvp.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Well I bought this game because BiS gear was supposed to be easy and short to get. And now it’s not anymore. Hence I am angry.

Besides, GW2 dailies are the most boring things ever invented short of watching grass grow. And if I don’t do them for three months straight, I’m not getting my (one set) amulet and earrings?

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Not for fractals < 20. You can do fractals before 20, and by the time you advanced up to level 20, you should be easily close to getting your first fractal pieces.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

There is a section of the game marked “PvP”, there is a section marked “WvWvW” which is usually shortened to “WvW”. So far in talking with people, they have been content to call “WvW” by that and “PvP” is reserved for that section. You know, “Heart of the Mists” in-game.

So when is player-versus-player not “PvP”? When there are two sections of the game which contain potential player-versus-player and only one of them is labeled specifically “PvP”.

Honestly, really, it’s my fault for not making absolutely sure you were on the same page as me in your terminology. I’m going to have to go back to being a pedant about nomenclature, I see, or risk being called a moron over a mistake. Such as “Maw” meaning “Jade Maw” and not “Frozen Maw”.

vespers.1759

Not for fractals < 20. You can do fractals before 20, and by the time you advanced up to level 20, you should be easily close to getting your first fractal pieces.

i wish to see you do high level fractals with no AR or just the rings.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

WvWvW is a competitive place. You’re out to be the best of the best. Players versus players to prove who is better and compete against each other. In order to be the best, you need the best gear. Sure if you want to be mediocre, go with lower stat gear. But you’ll never be the best.

In WvWvW, Ascended gear makes a difference. 6 accessories is not a minor boost. That’s a rather big boost over someone wearing just exotics. And when the rest of the Ascended gear arrives (I’m talking full armor and weapons as well), you can bet that you are going to need it to stay competitive in WvWvW.

So they are not lying. They are speaking the truth. Ascended gear is a need to stay competitive in WvWvW. And it is a need when you are doing Fractals as well. If it wasn’t needed, then there would be no point to even have it.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

vespers.1759

There is a section of the game marked “PvP”, there is a section marked “WvWvW” which is usually shortened to “WvW”. So far in talking with people, they have been content to call “WvW” by that and “PvP” is reserved for that section. You know, “Heart of the Mists” in-game.

there is a section called structured pvp and one called wvwvw. they are both in the pvp section of the forums because they both involve pvp. but all that aside, there’s no ascended items in spvp so that only leaves wvwvw.

just sayin.

darkace.8925

so you’re saying you just stop doing everything/anything when you dislike something about it rather than try to fix it?

No, I’m saying it doesn’t need fixing. It’s not broken; you’re approach to the game is.

Confirmation in the form of an ad hominem wasn’t needed; I already know everything I need to know about you from your previous post.

Posted by: blinkxzero.8035

blinkxzero.8035

Just to throw my personal experience out there.

Since laurels have been implemented, only 2 of my guild members (real life friends) log in anymore. Me and one other. Recently the other friend hopped into a big guild so he could do guild missions.

We used to have around 8-10 on at any given time for about 2-5 hours a day each.

No one likes logging in everyday to do dailies. It’s the first thing you do when you log in and it’s boring. So they just stopped logging in. We already did the daily grind in WoW.

Oh well, so much for the play how you want mantra.

vespers.1759

so you’re saying you just stop doing everything/anything when you dislike something about it rather than try to fix it?

No, I’m saying it doesn’t need fixing. It’s not broken; you’re approach to the game is.

Confirmation in the form of an ad hominem wasn’t needed; I already know everything I need to know about you from your previous post.

in your opinion it doesn’t need fixing, so you just tell everyone to quit if they don’t like it instead of trying to fix it. that implies that you think quitting things you when you dislike something about them is a reasonable thing to do.

go ahead, tell me i’m wrong.

darkace.8925

Fractals of the Mist were added in November of 2012.
Laurels were added in January of 2013.

Care to explain how people did Fractals before Laurels were added if equipment obtained with Laurels were required to do them?

vespers.1759

Fractals of the Mist were added in November of 2012.
Laurels were added in January of 2013.

Care to explain how people did Fractals before Laurels were added if equipment obtained with Laurels were required to do them?

no i’m not even going to bother. if you don’t understand by now you probably never will.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Yes yes ascended gear isn’t that much better but takes it so much time and effort to acquire comparatively that it the gain:effort is not proportional at all. If it was like an legendary tier item I could wait for a couple of weeks doing mundane things ingame to get a piece. However, GW2’s initial design was to have us get BiS stats we want easily (exotics) just by doing the things we want such as wvw without having to worry about being left behind in stat progression because advantage only comes visually (legendaries) . It was understandable back then that legendaries are difficult to get, they are prestige items afterall. When they introduced ascended and how limited our means to acquire them is, they ruined the game’s image imho. Regardless of how much you defend that it isn’t “necessary”, it will always be the BiS item and gives some form of advantage.

People who exclusively plays wvw back then didn’t have to worry about missing out on PvE events because they can get the same BiS stats just by doing wvw. By being forced to do dailies and dungeons and things you’d rather not do just so they wouldn’t get left behind in stats (regardless of how miniscule the difference) is simply tedious.

It’s silly for people to say it isn’t necessary. Nothing in the game is necessary. But the fact that it gives any form of advantage via stats defeats the original concept on horizontal progression that anet made me buy the game in the first place. Settling for exotics when better equipments are available is like being a defeatist or an underachiever.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Why would I? You do sub level 20 fractals first to get AR, and then you progress to level 20+ and get more AR as you go.

It’s simple logic o.O.

darkace.8925

It’s simple logic o.O.

Logic, even simple logic, is often wasted on the irrational.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yes yes ascended gear isn’t that much better but takes so much time to acquire. If it was like an ascended level item I can wait for a couple of weeks to get a piece. However, GW2’s initial design was to have us get BiS stats we want easily (exotics), so we can focus on doing the things we want such as wvw and fashion (legendaries) without having to worry about being left behind in stat progression. It was understandable back then that legendaries are difficult to get, they are prestige items afterall. When they introduced ascended and how limited our means to acquire them is, they ruined the game’s image imho. Regardless of how much you defend that it isn’t “necessary”, it will always be the BiS item and gives some advantage.

People who exclusively plays wvw back then didn’t have to worry about missing out on PvE events because they can get the same BiS stats just by doing wvw. By being forced to do dailies and dungeons just so they wouldn’t get left behind.

It’s silly for people to say it isn’t necessary. Nothing in the game is necessary. But the fact that it gives any form of advantage via stats defeats the original concept on horizontal progression that anet made me buy the game in the first place. Settling for exotics when better equipments are available is like being a defeatist or an underachiever.

I settled for exotics when Legendary weapons were “available”, and will continue to do so until I can actually get the parts together. As such . . . I like to think I’m a realist. Realistically, I’m not earning that Legendary or affording it anytime soon so just get comfortable and don’t think about “could have been shredding things with that awesome Twilight if I wasn’t poor”.

vespers.1759

Why would I? You do sub level 20 fractals first to get AR, and then you progress to level 20+ and get more AR as you go.

It’s simple logic o.O.

yes you can get your ascended rings in fractals. but after that it’s dailies for more AR… and it’ll only take you ~12 months worth of dailies to do it for only 1 character with a few gear sets.

that’s the whole point here. it takes way way way too long. if you have more than 1 80 you might as well just give up.

vespers.1759

It’s simple logic o.O.

Logic, even simple logic, is often wasted on the irrational.

this is priceless.