[Suggestion] Mounts?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Mm I really don’t see the difference between walking and mounts. Walking or riding on something would get boring just the same. Expect you’ll see the butt of an animal wiggling lol

We explore differently. I like to climb, jump, and explore every nook of the map. I love vistas and points of interesting as a guide to exploring but I don’t limit myself to that. Mounts would just hold me back and it would annoy me after a while. Just my personal opinion~ I have nothing against it but I don’t care that’s its not in game.

3 differences.

1 Using a mount is faster and so better for longer distances. On foot however you can fight and walk shorter distances.

2 It’s a cosmetic, just like weapons skins, armor-skins, mini’s and even ranger-pets can be cosmetics as well.

3 It can add a new game-play element to the game. hunting down mounts in the game. they can drop from dungeons, mobs, events and so on. So if they drop from specific events or mobs you add a new game-play element to the game. More end-game.

Those 3 together can be summarized as fun. Exactly that was a game should be about.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

But if the questions comes up how to implement mounts in this thread then my answer will still be, using expansions, not using a cash-shop because for me having the mount is not the only fun part. Hunting mounts down is as well..

What if every CS mount was available in game, but you could still short-cut the acquisition process through the gems? So you could still get your exploration/collecting enjoyment, but ArenNet could also get a direct return on them without reworking their financial model.

Just to be clear, I’d love for them to shift to an expansion model. Before launch, I thought that’s what they were going for. Box price as main income, CS as supplemental, but it’s clear that Box price was just initial cash infusion, with CS as their man income model. I’m just trying to imagine mounts getting added, which I don’t think is realistically going to happen any time soon, without adding a switch to expansions, which I also don’t think is realistically going to happen any time soon. It’s just too much for my willing suspension of disbelief.

Well it would devaluate the item. How about putting it in-game but not making it account-bound. When placed in specific places (so no general drops) it would be very expensive on the TP but you can also play to get it and gem-buyers can still convert there gems to gold and then buy it.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Castrin.8972

Castrin.8972

I do find it funny that I’m being accused of being anti-exploration for wanting a speed boost mount when world exploration is the bulk of what I actually do in game. The fact that most of my time is spent moving through zones, rather than zerging world bosses, farming dungeons, or running the same small circle of event chains is why I’d enjoy a 60% speed boost mount.

I criss-cross zones a lot, rather than teleporting between hotspots according to timers like much of the player base. I want a mount to enrich being out in the world, not to skip it.

I’ve had to actively ignore the fact that ArenaNet has created a reward structure that doesn’t reward level 80 characters for being in 90% of the world precisely because I’d rather immerse myself in that world than do the 10% of the game where they’ve placed endgame loot.

Mounts would be an addition to my immersive play, not a shortcut around it.

Who accused you of that?

Well if it’s immersive play you want here’s an idea for mounts. If you approach any of the local fauna in a map, the mount stops and will not go blindly toward that lvl 65 cave spider. Being that it’s just a mount I’d think that is very logical, most mounts will spook at all manner of things. Forcing it gets you a “throw rider” check with more trained mounts less likely though still not willing to run right up to that “big nasty.”

No just running past critters like everyone else can … when on foot.

I might be willing to give on the speed bonus if that was part of the mount characteristics. Not sure +60%, more like +40% but the resulting game balance seems fair.

Peace.

Grandmaster
Order of the Empyrean Shield [OES]

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: vikkival.2459

vikkival.2459

Mm I really don’t see the difference between walking and mounts. Walking or riding on something would get boring just the same. Expect you’ll see the butt of an animal wiggling lol

We explore differently. I like to climb, jump, and explore every nook of the map. I love vistas and points of interesting as a guide to exploring but I don’t limit myself to that. Mounts would just hold me back and it would annoy me after a while. Just my personal opinion~ I have nothing against it but I don’t care that’s its not in game.

3 differences.

1 Using a mount is faster and so better for longer distances. On foot however you can fight and walk shorter distances.

2 It’s a cosmetic, just like weapons skins, armor-skins, mini’s and even ranger-pets can be cosmetics as well.

3 It can add a new game-play element to the game. hunting down mounts in the game. they can drop from dungeons, mobs, events and so on. So if they drop from specific events or mobs you add a new game-play element to the game. More end-game.

Those 3 together can be summarized as fun. Exactly that was a game should be about.

1- Wouldn’t this go against exploration? And how will this be different from speed boast that we get now?

2- Yes it’s fluff. Can’t really say much about this. I don’t really care much. I’m still trying to understand the purpose/fun of minis lol

3- This is interesting but I can see a lot of problems (look at precusors or weapons of the mist). And I’m pretty sure if this was implemented, it’d be a black lion ticket thing. Also if mounts are included, would people be forced to get one (getting to places quicker when in a event, dungeon, etc)?

Also you might want to look into Black Desert. They have a cool mount system

I honestly would love to see Anet focus on other things right now but maybe in the future? Idk

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

You can’t teleport past it till you explore it. You want to “power gamer” through all that intervening terrain that is in your way.

It’s kinda pointless to “power gamer” when I’m running through the zones that give my level 80s pretty much nothing in the way of rewards.

Then you want it so you can move from event to event, after way-pointing in, so you can farm even harder core than you already are.

Hah! I’ll be honest. I have tried farming. Shortly after ascended weapons were implemented, I tried one of the broken events in Orr that endlessly spawned mobs, as well as the Frostgorge Champ farm. I can’t seem to build a tolerance for it, though. The fact that I had gotten to the point where I was willing to try farming is what made me take a six month break from the game.

I just recently started playing again with the “feature” patch, and am back to exploring the world on my Ele, who does have a nice set of travelling abilities. Between ride the lightning, swiftness-on-aura, and swiftness-on-air-attunement I can get around reasonable well. It’s pretty tedious to constantly be cycling air/water/fire/rtl though. It’d feel much more awesome on the back of a horse or treant.

If the devs came out and said they were implementing mounts, but didn’t want to give more than the standard swiftness buff, I’d be content. I like the idea of 60%, but 30% would be fine.

Point out where I’m wrong or why exactly you need a perm +60% move bonus between map ends?

I don’t need it. I just would like it. I like the feel of riding a mount, which doesn’t really get conveyed if you’re moving at exactly the same speed as you do without a mount. I also feel the standard running speed is on the slow side, and by the fact that people are willing to go to the lengths they do for perma-swiftness, others agree. I also don’t like carrying a weapon just for swiftness, as it seems like a minor annoyance that has no good reason.

While I’d like a 60% speed boost mount, which would put me in the world more than our current fast travel system, a post search will show you that I’ve always been against flying mounts.

Well thanks that you can see how that would truly break things. Hope spring eternal.

To say it should be added because of all these other additions to the game is disingenuous.

I wasn’t. I was saying that your argument was coming across as an appeal to the status quo.

My apologies for my lack of clarity.

Nope you were quite clear, more so than I think you were aware of.

I don’t see how that can be true, since the message I intended was not the message I gave.

Maybe you are just saying things they way you meant and not the way you want.

And you’ve lost me there. I don’t know what that means.

Follow the thread back, and I was originally posting in response to Nerelith complaining that the thread had not died off. I tried to respond that people who want the thread to die off should stop perpetuating it. Of course, the only people who want the thread to die off are people who are against mounts, because people who want mounts are interested in continuing to ask. It came across as me saying all people who don’t want mounts should stop posting, rather than just those who don’t want mounts and want to see the discussion end.

I can’t stop you from reading into that, if you really want to see me as someone who wants to censor opposing viewpoints. Browsing through my post history, however, should make it clear while I do occasionally get sarcastic, I don’t make a habit of telling the other side to shut up and go hom.e.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

3 differences.

1- Wouldn’t this go against exploration? And how will this be different from speed boast that we get now?

2- Yes it’s fluff. Can’t really say much about this. I don’t really care much. I’m still trying to understand the purpose/fun of minis lol

3- This is interesting but I can see a lot of problems (look at precusors or weapons of the mist). And I’m pretty sure if this was implemented, it’d be a black lion ticket thing. Also if mounts are included, would people be forced to get one (getting to places quicker when in a event, dungeon, etc)?

Also you might want to look into Black Desert. They have a cool mount system

I honestly would love to see Anet focus on other things right now but maybe in the future? Idk

1. Read back a few post from me where I explain my idea of exploration. Seeing something in the distance and going there. That is exploring for me. The distance between the two points may go a little faster then just walking speed.
It would differ in being permanent and for 2 and 3.

2. Well people like it. Dyes are ‘fluff’, legendaries are fluff. Maybe you like some of that? That might give you an idea and the other part that can be fun about fluff is working to get it, and being unique because of that.. pretty much 3

3. Yeah the ‘working towards it, hunting it down’ is only fun when implemented correctly. Indeed not when it;s yet another cash-shop item. You are correct.

About people needing it.. maybe, maybe not. For me they don’t need it but if they would have bigger maps and or less waypoints it might become more usefull. So it depends. Still even if that would be the case then they can also sell a mount at an NPC. You spread them out all over the world, they would not all be hard to get. So it would and should never be a problem for people to get a mount. But getting that one specific mount might cost you a lot of effort.

I will, remember I did read something about it but can’t remember exactly. ArcheAge also has a nice system for mounts.

And yes it’s all future, then again. I would love to see an expansion and I would love to see mounts as part of an expansion and for a B2P game imho an expansion is already overdue. Problem is that they focus on the cash-shop instead of expansions.

(edited by Devata.6589)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

The fact that you can way-point already takes away much of the exploration.

Not to mention the fact that they’ve spelled out a lot of things on the map for us.

As in many other ways, GW2 seems a bit divided on its design for exploration. The world is beautiful, and they’ve done a nice job rewarding exploration. On the other hand, there are far too many waypoints, and a little bit too much indicated by squares and triangles on the map.

Isn’t that entirely up to the player?
I don’t think you are giving people like me enough credit. I love exploring and I will not use waypoints unless i’m in a hurry to get somewhere.
Other people just don’t care about exploring. They want to get where they want to go fast and simple. Waypoints are great for that. I don’t want to spend 10 minute trying to get to the nearest bank to empty my bag or craft. But if I want to enjoy the world. I walk~ I don’t think that you guys should hold the lack of mounts as missing the world and not experiencing it. It’s not a good enough excuse

Once you’ve seen the world in GW2, you’ve seen it. Map exploration one time, I’m good. While some zones have things that are pretty kitten the first time, after the 2nd or 3rd, you’re like meh, I’ve seen it, it’s there, not like it moves or anything.

Alright. So you don’t want mounts. I get it. But what’s stopping you from not using a mount if they ever implement it? The answer is nothing. You can keep WPing or walking or hitting 4 every 15s. And since you like walking so much, if they do remove WPs, you can walk even more!

Look at that. It’s a win/win in the end.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Not to mention the fact that they’ve spelled out a lot of things on the map for us.

As in many other ways, GW2 seems a bit divided on its design for exploration. The world is beautiful, and they’ve done a nice job rewarding exploration. On the other hand, there are far too many waypoints, and a little bit too much indicated by squares and triangles on the map.

I don’t think you are giving people like me enough credit. I love exploring and I will not use waypoints unless i’m in a hurry to get somewhere.
Other people just don’t care about exploring. They want to get where they want to go fast and simple. Waypoints are great for that. I don’t want to spend 10 minute trying to get to the nearest bank to empty my bag or craft. But if I want to enjoy the world. I walk~ I don’t think that you guys should hold the lack of mounts as missing the world and not experiencing it. It’s not a good enough excuse

Once you’ve seen the world in GW2, you’ve seen it. Map exploration one time, I’m good. While some zones have things that are pretty kitten the first time, after the 2nd or 3rd, you’re like meh, I’ve seen it, it’s there, not like it moves or anything.

Alright. So you don’t want mounts. I get it. But what’s stopping you from not using a mount if they ever implement it? The answer is nothing. You can keep WPing or walking or hitting 4 every 15s. And since you like walking so much, if they do remove WPs, you can walk even more!

WPs are a MAJOR PART of GW2 and one of the establishments goldsinks and will never change and one of the main reasons mounts will never happen.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Castrin.8972

You can’t teleport past it till you explore it. You want to “power gamer” through all that intervening terrain that is in your way.

It’s kinda pointless to “power gamer” when I’m running through the zones that give my level 80s pretty much nothing in the way of rewards.

Levels == skill points.

But if you’ve already crafted legendaries (or just not interested) then yeah, not much for a 80lvl to get out of it.

Then you want it so you can move from event to event, after way-pointing in, so you can farm even harder core than you already are.

Hah! I’ll be honest. I have tried farming. Shortly after ascended weapons were implemented, I tried one of the broken events in Orr that endlessly spawned mobs, as well as the Frostgorge Champ farm. I can’t seem to build a tolerance for it, though. The fact that I had gotten to the point where I was willing to try farming is what made me take a six month break from the game.

I just recently started playing again with the “feature” patch, and am back to exploring the world on my Ele, who does have a nice set of travelling abilities. Between ride the lightning, swiftness-on-aura, and swiftness-on-air-attunement I can get around reasonable well. It’s pretty tedious to constantly be cycling air/water/fire/rtl though. It’d feel much more awesome on the back of a horse or treant.

If the devs came out and said they were implementing mounts, but didn’t want to give more than the standard swiftness buff, I’d be content. I like the idea of 60%, but 30% would be fine.

Point out where I’m wrong or why exactly you need a perm +60% move bonus between map ends?

I don’t need it. I just would like it. I like the feel of riding a mount, which doesn’t really get conveyed if you’re moving at exactly the same speed as you do without a mount. I also feel the standard running speed is on the slow side, and by the fact that people are willing to go to the lengths they do for perma-swiftness, others agree. I also don’t like carrying a weapon just for swiftness, as it seems like a minor annoyance that has no good reason.

While I’d like a 60% speed boost mount, which would put me in the world more than our current fast travel system, a post search will show you that I’ve always been against flying mounts.

Well thanks that you can see how that would truly break things. Hope spring eternal.

To say it should be added because of all these other additions to the game is disingenuous.

I wasn’t. I was saying that your argument was coming across as an appeal to the status quo.

I wasn’t.

Status quo might be fine if we lived (or played) in a perfect world. We don’t. My point is that some ideas are just not right for the world we play in. My belief is that the underlying mechanics deal with this particular issue (mounts) just fine despite some people’s disenchantment with those same mechanics.

Simple diference of opinion.

Maybe you are just saying things they way you meant and not the way you want.

And you’ve lost me there. I don’t know what that means.

Sorry for the quip’ish answer.

At this point all we will do is rehash the points of contention so I’m bowing out. Thanks for the discussion.

Peace.

Grandmaster

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Waypoint exist, so mounts cannot. That is stupid.

Skyrim has both Fast travel and mounts. I say it works fine.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Gibson.4036

Well if it’s immersive play you want here’s an idea for mounts. If you approach any of the local fauna in a map, the mount stops and will not go blindly toward that lvl 65 cave spider. Being that it’s just a mount I’d think that is very logical, most mounts will spook at all manner of things. Forcing it gets you a “throw rider” check with more trained mounts less likely though still not willing to run right up to that “big nasty.”

That’d make sense if this was a simulation of real life. Fantasy literature, however, has plenty of brave steeds able to bear a hero as she battles monsters, let alone ride past them.

This is one of the big things I don’t get about a lot of the anti-mount argument. Players can blow right past most mobs, ignoring them completely. Why does it suddenly become offensive if the player is on a horse or other mount?

I might be willing to give on the speed bonus if that was part of the mount characteristics. Not sure +60%, more like +40% but the resulting game balance seems fair.

Earlier in the thread I proposed mounts that can only be ridden on roads, which could have a similar effective restriction. We might be able to find more common ground than just “no flying mounts”.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Skan.5301

In this whole thread of clever word play and non existent problems, there isn’t anything that’s really a compelling reason as to why mounts can’t exist other than those who don’t want it saying “WoW has them, GW2 is different, and we can’t have them because of that reason.” The game isn’t as different as you think.

– Euripides

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ll address these points.

Yet that’s the argument for a great deal of things people want added to the game. It’s a game. A frivolous entertainment. Why is “I’d like it” an illegitimate reason to ask for it?

It isn’t. Neither is, “I don’t want it.”

The ability to travel quicker across zones without skipping them entirely or having to build your character around speed buffs is, at least, 10% practicality.

I believe in another post you asked for a 60% speed boost while on a mount. I have an issue with that. Most everyone likes a speed boost. If I don’t want a mount, and mounts increase speed in a way that no other means can attain, then this is a problem for me. If, instead of a mount, I can have a lasting out-of-combat speed boost of the same amount, then I’d be fine.

Compared to LotR, Rift, Champions Online, DCUO, I’d say character animations in GW2 are top notch. I don’t see any reason to believe they’d suddenly fail at animating mounts.

Clipping, man, clipping. This game is beautiful, but the clipping. Yes, other games have this issue. I remember wondering how my mount can run while my sword is through its flank.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Castrin.8972

That’d make sense if this was a simulation of real life. Fantasy literature, however, has plenty of brave steeds able to bear a hero as she battles monsters, let alone ride past them.

This is one of the big things I don’t get about a lot of the anti-mount argument. Players can blow right past most mobs, ignoring them completely. Why does it suddenly become offensive if the player is on a horse or other mount?

Nothing offensive about it, don’t take open discussions to be an attack. It’s called game balance. I know most don’t seem to understand that concept but I thought that you would see it for what is was.

Though I’m more “no mount” I think from the discussion so far I’ve shown a level of willing to give, if the game balance is not greatly effected. True the “heroic mount” is one that inspires images of warriors riding on fell steeds. However the palfry is not of the same cloth. I’m imaging a graduated system where the War Warg will be a dang sight better than the family samouth.

Earlier in the thread I proposed mounts that can only be ridden on roads, which could have a similar effective restriction. We might be able to find more common ground than just “no flying mounts”.

As I said before, hope springs eternal.

Peace.

p.s. yes I said I was out but felt this needed a response, sue me. :P

Grandmaster

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I just want to remind people that there’s already mounts.

GW’s mounts are given under particular circumstances for particular purposes and change your skills.

The asura power suit, the siege golems and the mecha devourer are examples of GW-style mounts.

Asking for WoW-style mounts thatyou get to keep and carry around will probably never happen. Too many people is against them, so adding them would be too controversial.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

It’s the same few people banging their head on the thread and dribbling all down the page, ignoring all logic and reasoning, and telling people who don’t want mounts to stop posting here. Now you’ll say, BUT YOU’RE TELLING US NOT TO POST, yes, because you’ve provided nothing but “I want it”, and “I want speed boost”. You want a speed boost? Use the ones provided, there is more than enough in the game, and the game works perfectly fine with them. A mount won’t do anything but visually ruin the game. Movement has a cost, movement has value. Apparently you do not value movement, yet here you are asking for speed boosting mounts, it makes absolutely no sense, at all.

And stop with the poor analogies and poor comparisons and poor hypotheticals.

“imagine if the game had no swords, but had every other weapon imagineable”
- We’d still have weapons to use. So what? What were you trying to achieve with this ill thought out statement?

“the charr have mounts”
- Are you referring to their siege weapons? Yes, siege weapons, NOT MOUNTS. By that logic, if you want to mount siege weapons, you can happily do so in wvw.

POORLY DESIGNED:
- Instant 90 degree turns (aka lack of turning circle)
- Instant 180 degree turns (^)
- Standing at awkwardly impossible angles on cliffs or steep hills/objects (somehow floating horizontally, or somehow floating vertically!)

STUPID MODELS (my favourite one)
- Magic Carpet
- Flying Quaggan
- Rainbow
- Golden Shiny Super Centaur That Poops Love Hearts
- Hover Board
- <Insert the plethora of easily thought up vomit worthy garbage>

IMMERSION BREAKING
- Most importantly I will be FORCED to see other people on this garbage.
- I will be FORCED to view the all the things I listed under the above 2 headings.
- Mount will appear out of thin air, and disappear instantly. Disgusting.
- As above, standing at awkward broken angles, instant 180s.

LORE IGNORING
- Only the Stone Summit and Undead had the occasional mount in the past. The rest of Tyra did not punish other creatures by sitting on them.
- Horses don’t exist in Tyria
- Mounts don’t exist at all in present day Tyria

Doesn’t matter what I or others say. Doesn’t matter how logically we construct our posts and opposing view. The same few people will blindly ignore it all, and post the same senseless “I want a speed boost” posts.

If you can’t add anything here except “I want a speed boost”, of which there are tonnes of ways to achieve it, then obviously this is a terrible suggestion, something unnecessary, and not worth ruining the game for.

Look at my posts. Look at how much it provides for the “no mounts” argument.

Now try do the same for the “pro mounts” argument. You can’t come even close, all you have is “I want speed boost”.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Anet should merge all merged mount threads. We have like…. what, 3 of them already?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

vikkival.2459

Haha I understand that. It’s all just up to the person. I’ve completed Queensdale so many times but I’m still taking pictures of it and walking all over the place. Can’t help it

The issue I have against mounts is that it just wouldn’t look good (to me). I don’t want to see a bunch of Chars on steam bikes or a ton of Asura golems crowding around me. Also I just can’t see mounts looking good while traveling along terrains, going up hills, through swamps or inside of caves (and please not in city hubs!). I have nothing agains mounts, however I’ve always viewed mounts as something necessary rather than fluff. My first mmo was flyff and you needed a mount to get around but I didn’t care much for it. I never felt like the speed boost so much of a difference because after a while, you’ll want to move faster then, faster and faster. So we have waypoints instead.

I feel that mounts isn’t something that should have any priority for the time being. If they implement a convincing and interesting system (like Black Desert) then maybe. But for now I’d like to see some improvements on what’s already in game. Like something new to add to the home instance.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

vikkival.2459

POORLY DESIGNED:
- Standing at awkwardly impossible angles on cliffs or steep hills/objects (somehow floating horizontally, or somehow floating vertically!)

- Magic Carpet
- Flying Quaggan
- Rainbow
- Hover Board

IMMERSION BREAKING
- I will be FORCED to view the all the things I listed under the above 2 headings.

LORE IGNORING
- Only the Stone Summit and Undead had the occasional mount in the past. The rest of Tyra did not punish other creatures by sitting on them.

^ All of this (in a much calmer tone lol)

I posted earlier in this thread about the how turning animation has being poorly handled (when transformed into a creature) and I feel Anet will do no differently for the mounts. I’m glad someone also took notice of this~

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Skan.5301

Let’s break this down, shall we?

thaooo.5320:

It’s the same few people banging their head on the thread and dribbling all down the page, ignoring all logic and reasoning, and telling people who don’t want mounts to stop posting here. Now you’ll say, BUT YOU’RE TELLING US NOT TO POST, yes, because you’ve provided nothing but “I want it”, and “I want speed boost”.

Have the people who don’t want it provided anything other than “NO WOW HAS IT AND GW2 IS DIFFERENT SO WE CAN’T!” or “YOU HAVE SPEED BOOST SO USE THEM AND RUN AND WAYPOINT!”

No? I didn’t think so.

thaooo.5320:

You want a speed boost? Use the ones provided, there is more than enough in the game, and the game works perfectly fine with them. A mount won’t do anything but visually ruin the game. Movement has a cost, movement has value. Apparently you do not value movement, yet here you are asking for speed boosting mounts, it makes absolutely no sense, at all.

See above. Nice try using word play.

thaooo.5320:

- We’d still have weapons to use. So what? What were you trying to achieve with this ill thought out statement?

The point was reiterating why people asked for something over and over again. “Other MMOs have swords, why doesn’t this one?” Same thing here.

thaooo.5320:

“the charr have mounts”
- Are you referring to their siege weapons? Yes, siege weapons, NOT MOUNTS. By that logic, if you want to mount siege weapons, you can happily do so in wvw.

If you can ride, ie, move a number of spaces in any direction in it, then it’s technically a mount. The siege in WvW is not a mount. It is an object you interact with.

thaooo.5320:

POORLY DESIGNED:

A bit of work from the Devs would get rid of this. A valid statement if they put in the work to introduce mounts in the first place. Polish is the word.

thaooo.5320:

- Magic Carpet
- Flying Quaggan
- Rainbow
- Hover Board

No one said they had to be exotic. And we’ve ruled out flying mounts. The Asura a technologist. The Charr are engineers. They can surely invent something that fits, don’t you think?

thaooo.5320:

IMMERSION BREAKING

This isn’t even valid. There are so many immersion breaking things in this game it’s quite unreal.

thaooo.5320:

LORE IGNORING
- Only the Stone Summit had the occasional mount in the past. The rest of Tyra did not punish other creatures by sitting on them.

Again, the Asura are technologist, and the Charr are engineers. I’m sure between the two races, they can figure something out.

thaooo.5320:

Look at my post. Look at how much it provides for the “no mounts” argument.

Nullified. Carry on if you will.

thaooo.5320:

Now try do the same for the “pro mounts” argument. You can’t come even close besides “I want speed boost”.

Aside from the obvious speed boost, they could have mini games involving mounts. Jousting comes to mind. More content as well, if they made mounts come from certain places. Different skinned mounts for different areas, things of that nature.

Also, why should someone be forced to trait and/or set my skill bar to allow faster movement? With a mount, one can just hop on the mount and get to where they need and not have to go back and change something when they need to fight.

It all depends on implementation. They don’t have to be huge like the War Mammoths in WoW. They can be small.

How about something like an addition to the boots that you can activate and act like a mount, just not riding? Permaspeedboost without having to hit 4 every 15s. That would reduce almost every point to nothing, such as clutter, immersion, ect.

– Euripides

(edited by Skan.5301)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

vikkival.2459

This isn’t even valid. There are so many immersion breaking things in this game it’s quite unreal.
________

This is true, but why add more?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Skan.5301

________

Because when it comes down to it, the game will be full of them, one more thing won’t hurt. It’s gone past the stage where people look at something and say “What happened to the immersion?” It’s now at the point where people think about it, and go on with what they’re doing.

– Euripides

[Suggestion] Mounts?

thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320:

It’s the same few people banging their head on the thread and dribbling all down the page, ignoring all logic and reasoning, and telling people who don’t want mounts to stop posting here. Now you’ll say, BUT YOU’RE TELLING US NOT TO POST, yes, because you’ve provided nothing but “I want it”, and “I want speed boost”.

Have the people who don’t want it provided anything other than “NO WOW HAS IT AND GW2 IS DIFFERENT SO WE CAN’T!” or “YOU HAVE SPEED BOOST SO USE THEM AND RUN AND WAYPOINT!”

No? I didn’t think so.

“the charr have mounts”

If you can ride, ie, move a number of spaces in any direction in it, then it’s technically a mount. The siege in WvW is not a mount. It is an object you interact with

First.

Read my last 2 big posts which are FILLED with reasons, instead of ignoring them. Even in your post you commented (mind numbingly) on my reasons.

Don’t ignore them, read and understand them, they’re right there for you, if you choose not to read them or understand that they are legitimate counter arguments, that is YOUR choice. But your choice to ignore all reasoning does not help your limited argument.

Second.

It is clear you’ve never fully played this game besides PvE.

Alpha Golems and Omega Golems are siege weapons, they also move. You say it has to move to be a mount. Go right ahead and ride them till your heart is content.

Thank you for not deconstructing a post full of logic and reasoning for the sole purpose of disagreeing with it, and providing no logic or reasoning for your side of the argument.

The rest of your ‘post deconstruction’ serves no purpose, and adds nothing to the argument except ‘it disagrees with what I want’.

ALL IS VAIN.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

vikkival.2459

________

Because when it comes down to it, the game will be full of them, one more thing won’t hurt. It’s gone past the stage where people look at something and say “What happened to the immersion?” It’s now at the point where people think about it, and go on with what they’re doing.

That is not a good way to think. If you keep letting things slide, a lot of other things will go along with it (like how one thread was asking for a school uniform outfit). I think it fine for us to ask for things but there has to be a line or things will get out of hand. The only item I have a problem with is The Dreamer. It could only redeem itself if it has a really meaningful lore behind it lol

While mounts exist in ‘written’ lore, but doesn’t in game, it’s kinda a big deal. Like when people were complaining about those short stories Anet keep posting. People claimed, if it wasn’t seen in game, it doesn’t exist. I feel the same for mounts. I have never witness any human npc on a horse (never even seen a horse). Dolaks are used for cargo, and Asuras don’t use their golems as a chauffeur (unless you’re Taimi). Chars use their mounts for military purposes so I don’t think they’ll be going on cruise rides with the bikes. This is why I feel mounts would break immersion No matter how they implement it, it would be to sudden and weirdly added in.

(edited by vikkival.2459)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

No mounts.

Just remove combat speed >.<

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Skan.5301

thaooo.5320:

No? I didn’t think so.

“the charr have mounts”

If you can ride, ie, move a number of spaces in any direction in it, then it’s technically a mount. The siege in WvW is not a mount. It is an object you interact with

First.

Read my last 2 big posts which are FILLED with reasons, instead of ignoring them. Even in your post you commented (mind numbingly) on my reasons.

Don’t ignore them, read and understand them, they’re right there for you, if you choose not to read them or understand that they are legitimate counter arguments, that is YOUR choice. But your choice to ignore all reasoning does not help your limited argument.

Second.

It is clear you’ve never fully played this game besides PvE.

Alpha Golems and Omega Golems are siege weapons, they also move. You say it has to move to be a mount. Go right ahead and ride them till your heart is content.

Thank you for not deconstructing a post full of logic and reasoning for the sole purpose of disagreeing with it, and providing no logic or reasoning for your side of the argument.

The rest of your ‘post deconstruction’ serves no purpose, and adds nothing to the argument except ‘it disagrees with what I want’.

Quite contrary, I’ve played nothing but WvW and sPvP after I finished map completion with a few friends who played with me during launch.

Hence why I said, I’ll deconstruct your post, as in answer it bit by bit, bullet by bullet. I didn’t mean I was going to prove you wrong. You have some good reasons, but, there are also counters to them.

Don’t be mad because I simply derailed what you think would happen if mounts were added to the game.

Don’t worry. Wounds heal over time. Even virtual and balloons are easily inflated again after being deflated.

Try again. You might get some fruit for your efforts.

– Euripides

[Suggestion] Mounts?

thaooo.5320

I guess I was right about the siege golem thing. You just don’t want to ride them.

It’s an attacking mount. If that doesn’t pique your interest, nothing will.

ALL IS VAIN.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Can’t do a mount thread without posting this.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

stuff

All you did was c/p every list and say, “This doesn’t say ‘add mounts’ so it must be wrong” to each one. That’s what every person for adding mounts has done since forever. And they do it because their arguments are purely emotional and based off of low priority issues.

He has valid points. You just don’t want to debate them properly because you know you’ll lose.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

~

“the charr have mounts”

POORLY DESIGNED:

- Magic Carpet
- Flying Quaggan
- Rainbow
- Hover Board

IMMERSION BREAKING

LORE IGNORING

Doesn’t matter what I or others say. Doesn’t matter how logically we construct our posts and opposing view. The same few people will blindly ignore it all, and post the same senseless “I want a speed boost” posts.

If you can’t add anything here except “I want a speed boost”, of which there are tonnes of ways to achieve it, then obviously this is a terrible suggestion, something unnecessary, and not worth ruining the game for.

Look at my posts. Look at how much it provides for the “no mounts” argument.

Now try do the same for the “pro mounts” argument. You can’t come even close, all you have is “I want speed boost”.

Like I said before there are only a few reason for mounts.

1 Perma speed so to increase exploration fun. I must agree current maps are not the best for that but this one still stands,

2 Skin,

3 New fun game-play (end-game) of collecting them (if implemented correctly)

What together boils down to fun and would also attract new players. I think that is enough reason. Most post here are not about proving why they should be put in.. When I say they fit the lore it’s not as a reason as to why but to debunk the excuses why not to, while the only real reason why people seem to not want them is “because WoW” what is the worst reason you can come up with and even the cause for some other problems in the game.

Watch your own excuses.. It’s not good to have mounts because speed has value. Well I don’t expect the mounts to be handed out for free you know.

The sword statement was to show that you can make up such excuses for almost any item.

Char Siege weapons? Many seem to be combat mounts indeed, not all. Have a look in BC. Anyway, if that is the problem add combat to mounts.

Poorly design and so on.. That’s all implementation. I think we can all agree that it indeed would be better that most mounts should not be able to make a 180 (depends a little on the mount) and that Magic Carpets do not belong in the game. Same for those other comments.

About “IMMERSION BREAKING”
Caps don’t make it more right or wrong btw.

Just as you are forced to see most skins in this game. SO no difference from any other item.. maybe this one is bigger but then again it leaves no trail of leaking oil. So overall it has less of an effect on the bling bling then many skins.

Mounts that appear out of thin air can indeed be a thing, just like you already have when swapping pets, mini or weapons and armor. But it would indeed be nice if a better animation was added. Once again, implementation.

They only punish them by using them to lift heavy thing? I am also pretty sure the chars don’t have those combat mounts for fun, and then there are the helicopters, Zeppelins, horse carriages.

I sure have seen a lot of mounts or things related to them for something that does not exist. You mean.. they are not in the game at this moment.. I know that’s why this thread is here.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

I just want to remember people that there’s already mounts.

GW’s mounts are given under particular circumstances for particular purposes and change your skills.

The asura power suit, the siege golems and the mecha devourer are examples of GW-style mounts.

Asking for WoW-style mounts thatyou get to keep and carry around will probably never happen. Too many people is against them, so adding them would be too controversial.

Particular circumstances mainly mean, in particular instances or activities. GW2 is more an open world so that change would make sense. It would simply be an open world version of GW1. You are correct that mounts would have skills to stay in line with GW1. Not needed for me but yes that would be in the line with GW1.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In this whole thread of clever word play and non existent problems, there isn’t anything that’s really a compelling reason as to why mounts can’t exist other than those who don’t want it saying “WoW has them, GW2 is different, and we can’t have them because of that reason.” The game isn’t as different as you think.

Neither is there any compelling reason to have them beyond “i think they are cool”. In the end, it just comes down to “i like mounts” vs “i don’t like mounts”. Except of course the first group seems to be in minority, and the second groups stands on a very secure defensible position of Status Quo. The second group can afford to just state their dislike. It’s the first group that needs to find some compelling reasons for this change – and so far they are failing.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

stuff

All you did was c/p every list and say, “This doesn’t say ‘add mounts’ so it must be wrong” to each one. That’s what every person for adding mounts has done since forever. And they do it because their arguments are purely emotional and based off of low priority issues.

He has valid points. You just don’t want to debate them properly because you know you’ll lose.

I am pretty sure he did debate them. Go read back. And there is not much to lose as most points are not valid. I also talked about them so will no name it again in this topic. See 2 post back.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

Neither is there any compelling reason to have them beyond “i think they are cool”. In the end, it just comes down to “i like mounts” vs “i don’t like mounts”. Except of course the first group seems to be in minority, and the second groups stands on a very secure defensible position of Status Quo. The second group can afford to just state their dislike. It’s the first group that needs to find some compelling reasons for this change – and so far they are failing.

“Neither is there any compelling reason to have them beyond” I think they are cool"." Not many no, adding game-play would come to mind and increasing the fun of exploring. But overall it’s indeed just “Because it’s fun”. Pretty much the reason for anything in a game.

“the first group seems to be in minority” Lol? You really think so? Pretty sure you are wrong there.

You said it yourself.. It’s fun (or ‘cool’ as you define it) that is a very good reason to implement anything in a game. You know it’s a game. They are there for fun.

The Status Quo is that Anet said, no flying mounts and maybe mounts but then in a GW2 like way so maybe with combat. The Status Quo is also a skin-based game. Mounts fit there.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Pantherabast.2965

Pantherabast.2965

Hell they dont even have to put more speed on them just same speed as running should be enough, made them only cosmetics!

100% disagree.

kinda defeats the purpose of having a mount. I will not waste my money on a mount if it gives me no speed boost. pointless!

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Astralporing.1957

You said it yourself.. It’s fun (or ‘cool’ as you define it) that is a very good reason to implement anything in a game.

No, they are “fun” for you. Not for me. I don’t like mounts, and i know that introducing them would not make the game better for me. Quite the opposite. That is the core of the difference.

The Status Quo is that Anet said, no flying mounts and maybe mounts but then in a GW2 like way so maybe with combat.

No, Status Quo is “the game as it is now”. Which has no mounts. And of course Anet’s “maybe” means eactly nothing (it can be anything between “we’re already implementing it, but we can’t tell you that” to “no way in hell, but we can’t tell you that”).

Which brings us again to no compelling arguments for changing the status quo.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

You said it yourself.. It’s fun (or ‘cool’ as you define it) that is a very good reason to implement anything in a game.

No, they are “fun” for you. Not for me. I don’t like mounts, and i know that introducing them would not make the game better for me. Quite the opposite. That is the core of the difference.

The Status Quo is that Anet said, no flying mounts and maybe mounts but then in a GW2 like way so maybe with combat.

No, Status Quo is “the game as it is now”. Which has no mounts. And of course Anet’s “maybe” means eactly nothing (it can be anything between “we’re already implementing it, but we can’t tell you that” to “no way in hell, but we can’t tell you that”).

So you not finding it fun (the mounts and the content that comes with it) is just as valid as me finding it fun.

That was what I was trying to say.

So the no-mounts people can simply say that instead of coming up with excuses (other then, I don’t like them) because those so-called arguments only makes them weaker because the arguments are so weak and debunked easily (And that debunking is then being seen as reason to put in mounts. But it’s not more then debunking the so-called arguments why not.).

Why add mounts, for fun (skin-wise, content-wise and game-play wise).
Why not add mounts? Because some don’t find it fun, of who >50% don’t like them ‘because WoW’.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Narthexia.1836

Narthexia.1836

I don’t care one way or the other, mounts that add character and aren’t silly would have their good points. But what I don’t get is the need for speed boosts, I have never gone anywhere in this game and thought it was taking too long. Compare that to vanilla WoW where it really took a very long time to run places (running was slower than now). I feel like my chars are quite zippy, even without speed boosts. Between the naturally quite brisk speed, the boosts available and the gazillions of waypoints I don’t see why mounts would be needed to go faster. For pretties, k, I get it.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

I don’t care one way or the other, mounts that add character and aren’t silly would have their good points. But what I don’t get is the need for speed boosts, I have never gone anywhere in this game and thought it was taking too long. Compare that to vanilla WoW where it really took a very long time to run places (running was slower than now). I feel like my chars are quite zippy, even without speed boosts. Between the naturally quite brisk speed, the boosts available and the gazillions of waypoints I don’t see why mounts would be needed to go faster. For pretties, k, I get it.

Well I do indeed miss some big open maps in GW2. It’s all sort off small and much packed together. I do hope we will get such maps in the future as well. Would be a great addition in the same expansion /patch as where we would get mounts.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Astralporing.1957

So you not finding it fun (the mounts and the content that comes with it) is just as valid as me finding it fun.

So the no-mounts people can simply say that instead of coming up with excuses (other then, I don’t like them) because those so-called arguments only makes them weaker because the arguments are so weak and debunked easily (And that debunking is then being seen as reason to put in mounts. But it’s not more then debunking the so-called arguments why not.).

Yes, that’s pretty much it. Of course, anti-mount people do not need to come up with any reasons why mounts should not be introduced (beyond “cuz we don’t like them”). Pro-mount people however do need exactly that.
(also, there were some good arguments against mounts in the thread. They just ended up being ignored or dismissed)

Actions, not words.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

Yes, that’s pretty much it. Of course, anti-mount people do not need to come up with any reasons why mounts should not be introduced (beyond “cuz we don’t like them”). Pro-mount people however do need exactly that.
(also, there were some good arguments against mounts in the thread. They just ended up being ignored or dismissed)

Haven’t seen any good arguments against it and no people in favor do not need more as that. It’s a game so “add something because it’s fun” is about the best reason there is.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I would very much like mounts, but only partly for themselves and primarily for the movement boost. This game does NOT have class parity when it comes to move speed, making getting from A to B significantly less of a hassle for some over others. It’s nonsensical that some people should have to pay a bunch of gold for Traveler runes when others can just flip a signet into a utility slot and be good to go — and it’s doubly nonsensical if the disparity in speed boosts is a result of PvP “balancing” affecting PvE.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Bowflex.4502

Bowflex.4502

Why exactly is it, that just about every spec for every class wants swiftness or movement speed increases worked into their builds, yet no one wants mounts?

Go figure.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Astralporing.1957

Haven’t seen any good arguments against it and no people in favor do not need more as that. It’s a game so “add something because it’s fun” is about the best reason there is.

No. In case the arguments for and against the change are equal, everything stays as it was before. Reasons for change must outweight reasons against it to justify the effort.

Why exactly is it, that just about every spec for every class wants swiftness or movement speed increases worked into their builds, yet no one wants mounts?

Wanting mounts because what you really want is speed increase would be a roundabout way of going at things, don’t you think? If i think that my class has not enough damage, for example, i should be asking for a damage increase, not for a new tier of gear.

Actions, not words.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: July.5361

July.5361

As much as I want mounts for purely aesthetic reasons, I don’t see them fit in GW2. When I was playing Warhammer Online I loved all my mounts. Each of them was connected with the lore of my class, but in GW2 there is no lore and there are no vast empty spaces to travel. Plus I smell Black Lion tickets/chests abuse from Anet. This game is not meant to have mounts.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’m not as hardcore about wanting mounts as I used to be however I would like some things to happen to improve gameplay.

Scaling of open world champions/bosses to include people who haven’t tagged them yet within a certain range of course, this would improve the life of these bosses (other titles had to do this before they added a larger number of events with more bosses so that these bosses could survive long enough for others to arrive AND those other games actually HAVE mounts so you can imagine.) They can limit this to only certain champions/bosses in game so that there wouldn’t be an exploit to cause players to grief I think it would be necessary tho say for champs like the bandit to keep griefers from killing it immediately before anyone else had a chance to arrive.

Also, I’d like to see that all classes have an innate 25% run speed boost permanent to the account somehow whether they incorporate it into a reward system for reaching level 80 or not they gotta do something. If you choose burst damage builds you actually have to continue using useless seals to reach an area and switch out to something more useful when you arrive or completely replace your rune set with something that won’t really benefit you in stats. There are very few options even after they changed two runesets it’s still pretty limiting.

Oh and changing the main map so that it displays when major events are occuring, like when temples are being fought, or major champions are up, the main map if you are on that map at the time should always tell players what’s happening where. It’s been essential in every other game title out there with events and this has been one of the major things missing on this game.

These changes should improve what people who want mounts typically would use them for, major events arrivals, time to arrival vs boss death problems, general speed issues when traveling from waypoints to locations with events.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Gibson.4036

I’ll address these points.

Yet that’s the argument for a great deal of things people want added to the game. It’s a game. A frivolous entertainment. Why is “I’d like it” an illegitimate reason to ask for it?

It isn’t. Neither is, “I don’t want it.”

I completely agree.

In responding to people who seem to want to shut down the pro-mount argument by either wishing the discussion gone or protraying it as unecessary and stupid, I seem to have come across as wishing to do the same to the anti-mount argument.

It’s not the case. I’d much rather have respectful discussion continue. “I don’t want it” is as valid as “I do want it”.

The ability to travel quicker across zones without skipping them entirely or having to build your character around speed buffs is, at least, 10% practicality.

I believe in another post you asked for a 60% speed boost while on a mount. I have an issue with that. Most everyone likes a speed boost. If I don’t want a mount, and mounts increase speed in a way that no other means can attain, then this is a problem for me. If, instead of a mount, I can have a lasting out-of-combat speed boost of the same amount, then I’d be fine.

Makes perfect sense. I’ve stated I’d be content with a mount that didn’t give any more speed boost than we get with swiftness already, if that’s what the devs decided to go with to avoid a speed-boost arms race, as it were.

Just to make sure it’s clear, that 10% in my post wasn’t reference to speed boost. It was an attempt at a little bit of levity in response to a post declaring that mounts have 0% practicality.

Compared to LotR, Rift, Champions Online, DCUO, I’d say character animations in GW2 are top notch. I don’t see any reason to believe they’d suddenly fail at animating mounts.

Clipping, man, clipping. This game is beautiful, but the clipping. Yes, other games have this issue. I remember wondering how my mount can run while my sword is through its flank.[/quote]

Good point there. I hadn’t thought of clipping issues, because it’s not something that bugs me terribly in a game where there is no collision detection, and I’m constantly walking through other characters.

I have been surprised, however, by how apparently difficult it is for people do do decent animations. The jump animations alone in most of those games I mentioned are terrrible, stilted looking things compared to GW2 which looks like it has momentum and is fairly fluid. If any current MMORPG developer could succeed at the sense of mass and energy involved in a person riding a mount I’d expect it to be ArenaNet.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: GummiArms.5368

GummiArms.5368

I would like to see mounts in this game, especially in light of how Megaservers have affected way-pointing. My main gripe isn’t the added cost, no its the time wasted going through multiple loading screens if I have to port more than once to get where I’m going. Add an extra minute, or even 30 seconds to traveling time, and you might miss a major event if you were already running late/not on top of things when it popped.

If people think them to be an unfair advantage, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to have some generic mount available for only a few gold. Low cost means high availability. Maybe they don’t stack with signets that grant movement speed boosts to level the playing field for those who refuse to get one. (This makes an interesting tradeoff- investing in a mount to free up a utility slot) And naturally, people will want to invest in better looking mounts given the chance. Adds another source source of revenue for the game, or another gold sink depending on how this is approached.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Gibson.4036

Nothing offensive about it, don’t take open discussions to be an attack. It’s called game balance. I know most don’t seem to understand that concept but I thought that you would see it for what is was.

I wasn’t taking it for an attack. I was using “offensive” in the sense of “distasteful”.

You can already skip right past most mobs in the open world. Adding mounts doesn’t change that. Same game result with or without them, but it’s used as an argument against them. So why, if you can do it already, does it suddenly become distasteful because it’s done on a mount.

I don’t understand how “because game balance” applies. What is unbalancing about it. You can do it with or without a mount. Mounts would be available to all, but also unnecessary (to skip past mobs) for anyone who didn’t want them. So where’s the imbalance?

Though I’m more “no mount” I think from the discussion so far I’ve shown a level of willing to give, if the game balance is not greatly effected. True the “heroic mount” is one that inspires images of warriors riding on fell steeds. However the palfry is not of the same cloth. I’m imaging a graduated system where the War Warg will be a dang sight better than the family samouth.

I also thought about that when posting about this. If I remember correctly, Rift also did this. The higher quality mounts gave larger speed boosts (which I’m not advocating), but they also had a decreased chance for the rider to get dismounted by mob attacks. It’s been a long time since I played, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

There could even be a system where your mount gains experience as you use it. Rider and mount trust is established, the mount becomes used to danger, and you are less frequently dismounted in threatening situations.

p.s. yes I said I was out but felt this needed a response, sue me. :P

I’m glad you did. I feel like we are understanding each other a bit more than when we first started replying to each other.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Gibson.4036

If people think them to be an unfair advantage, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to have some generic mount available for only a few gold. Low cost means high availability. Maybe they don’t stack with signets that grant movement speed boosts to level the playing field for those who refuse to get one. (This makes an interesting tradeoff- investing in a mount to free up a utility slot)

Definitely. Just as a several of the Ele speed buffs don’t stack to get past the 33% speed buff of swiftness, mount speed would not stack with any other speed buffs. Part of the point is giving another source of non-combat speed, not creating a new source that everyone needs in addition to speed traits and gear.

And naturally, people will want to invest in better looking mounts given the chance. Adds another source source of revenue for the game, or another gold sink depending on how this is approached.

Yes. Without a radical change of business model, there would have to be a way to monetize mounts to warrant the development time they would take to implement.

The should be exactly the same from a game mechanic standpoint no matter where you get them. A plain brown horse, devourer, and dolyak would be available for a modest amount of gold (or reasonable quest line) in game. Spectral horses, treants, and flaming dolyaks could be available from the cash shop. Watchwork devourers and infinity golems could be a limited time LS reward.

Again, all exactly the same in their game mechanics.