[Suggestion] Mounts?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

The Waypoint system kind of makes mounts obsolete for traveling, and it’s already built into the game’s core. It would be useful while leveling as you generally don’t have many WPs. Once could increase the costs of WPs, but I think the solution should be do increase the need for Mounts in some way without making something else worse.
I could see myself use it for shorter distances (while easily getting the Gathering daily on the way.)

I don’t know how to make mounts practical. However their main value lies in cosmetics, which they would be great for! Their sheer size makes a lot of space for awesome details and effects!

Edit: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-is-almost-EVERY-WAYPOINT-Contested

Read my last post

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Theres no reasons not to have mounts permanent. There is a lot of reasons to have them including just because people like them because then people may invest play time and money in them.

The reason of wasting development time that some give is a whole lot of dolyak dump becuse many if not most of the things are already there in the world just needing minor modificatin at most. Asura golems or pwersuits, rocket packs, wurms, the Sylvari leafy helicopter and even Dolyaks and Moas.

The reason of lore is shot down from the point of view Waypoints are broken due to the megaserver change and Anet didnt care about that. Also there werent guns in Guild Wars 1 and other things with the Guild War lore that did change with GW2. If you want to fit it into lore in your head just put it that the a disturbance in the land caused Waypoints to become unstable, unreliable and some unusable unless waypointing within a zone.

The reason it doesnt add anything is just lack of vision. With the variety and wonderful culture Anet built into Guild Wars 2 player characters there are many amazing creations of animals, rocket packs, golems, tunneling wurms, sylvari creations that would add a much better ambience and aspect than what is mostly if not completely useless minis

There is NOTHING that including mounts would break or hold back from development if just a little thought is put into it.

In your OPINION – which is what this thread is filled with while every one calls them fact.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

No. This isn’t WoW. Stop trying to turn it into that.

Rogue to Thief
Paladin to Guardian
Warrior to Warrior
Warlock to Necromancer
Hunter to Ranger
Mage to Elementalist

All of these classes existed in EverQuest before even WoW existed, so they are not a feature that would be making Gw2 More Like World of Warcraft, just more like an MMO.

Dagger, bow, GS, staff, shield, sword, 1h axe, gun, 2h mace (hammer), wand (scepter)

Hearthstone to Waypoint

light, medium, heavy armor

Similarly… all of this existed before World of warcraft.

Transmog to Wardrobe

I think the devs already beat the players when it comes to taking a concept from WoW. Lets not pretend this is a unique snowflake to the mmo genre, taking an idea from another game that has worked well is nothing new, WoW has done it and so has GW2.

Except everything you mentioned has been in MMO’s before World of warcraft. Fact is, they were in MMO’s before there were MMO Anyone remember paper and pencil games Like Dungeons and Dragons?

Mounts would be a great addition to GW2.

Simply opinion, one not shared by many.

The thing is, World of Warcraft was not the first MMO, but mounts are.

1. Unecessary
2. Undesired
3. a use of resources that can better go elsewhere.

and

4. Would make this thread # 459,862 that seeks to introduce an element that would turn this even MORE into a WoW clone.

Mounts. Trinity. End game raiding. Dedicated Healer. Dedicated tank, etc etc etc

For those that miss World of Warcraft that game is still around, go play World of warcraft.

For those that seek something close to World of Warcraft…. go play those.

I am sure there are tons of games with mounts. This isn’t one of them, and that’s the way we like it.

PS: I know many people will now say " But look at the millions that play World of Warcraft… it’s a great game." No…. it is a simple game that has appealed to the LCD.

McDonald’s has also served BILLIONS that doesn’t make it a great restaurant chain. If I had to choose between them and Red Lobster…. I would not be munchin’ down on a Big Mac.

But for those who’se first dining experience was a McDonald’s that never visited a Red Lobster, I can understand why they would walk into one, and ask.." Happy Meal?"

Haha yeah indeed, all those elements you talk about in the beginning of your post where in games long before WoW.
Because of that you can’t say it’s a WoW-clone or you want to copy WoW or whatever.

BTW, so where mounts and much other stuff like raids and the trinity. The stuff you talk about at the end of your post.

However if any of those come up suddenly the WoW example is valid? You sort of dug a huge hole here for yourself.

You can see that right? Thats what you get when one thing (WoW hate) blinds you.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

Theres no reasons not to have mounts permanent. There is a lot of reasons to have them including just because people like them because then people may invest play time and money in them.

The reason of wasting development time that some give is a whole lot of dolyak dump becuse many if not most of the things are already there in the world just needing minor modificatin at most. Asura golems or pwersuits, rocket packs, wurms, the Sylvari leafy helicopter and even Dolyaks and Moas.

The reason of lore is shot down from the point of view Waypoints are broken due to the megaserver change and Anet didnt care about that. Also there werent guns in Guild Wars 1 and other things with the Guild War lore that did change with GW2. If you want to fit it into lore in your head just put it that the a disturbance in the land caused Waypoints to become unstable, unreliable and some unusable unless waypointing within a zone.

The reason it doesnt add anything is just lack of vision. With the variety and wonderful culture Anet built into Guild Wars 2 player characters there are many amazing creations of animals, rocket packs, golems, tunneling wurms, sylvari creations that would add a much better ambience and aspect than what is mostly if not completely useless minis

There is NOTHING that including mounts would break or hold back from development if just a little thought is put into it.

In your OPINION – which is what this thread is filled with while every one calls them fact.

There is opinion like a scared caveman trying to figure out what a an aeroplane is and a well observed, educated objective opinion and all in between. I would say my opinion is fact unless a dev spells out what is wrong with it.

them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Read my last post

It was a good one. I pretty much just threw myself into the discussion without bothering to read previous comments. Anyways, I agree.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

The Waypoint system kind of makes mounts obsolete for traveling, and it’s already built into the game’s core. It would be useful while leveling as you generally don’t have many WPs. Once could increase the costs of WPs, but I think the solution should be do increase the need for Mounts in some way without making something else worse.
I could see myself use it for shorter distances (while easily getting the Gathering daily on the way.)

I don’t know how to make mounts practical. However their main value lies in cosmetics, which they would be great for! Their sheer size makes a lot of space for awesome details and effects!

Edit: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-is-almost-EVERY-WAYPOINT-Contested

Then you’d have Players Griefing others by parking them on NPC’s and preventing them from accessing bank, and BL traders.

The BIG issue is.. a cosmetics onlu mount could work…if I get offered the option of Hiding Mounts before Character select. The issue then becomes players want Visual Bling that they can show off, to show they have Giobs of Gold.." look at me In My HUGE Assed Broodmother..am I Not epic?" " oh? Broodmother? sorry dude I’;m hiding mounts." " oh… that sucks for me..I can’t show off My huge Broodmother to everyone."

Then you have " Must have perma speed boost" never gonna happen.

I did make suggestions about temporary speed boosts balanced against other skills. But seems No one wants Limits On their speed boost… which is a reason it’s never gonna happen as most players desire.

A lot of players want a perma-speedboost. Not gonna happen. But hey…everyone is allowed to want things… even the dead men in hell want snowcones.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

Then you’d have Players Griefing others by parking them on NPC’s and preventing them from accessing bank, and BL traders.

The BIG issue is.. a cosmetics onlu mount could work…if I get offered the option of Hiding Mounts before Character select. The issue then becomes players want Visual Bling that they can show off, to show they have Giobs of Gold.." look at me In My HUGE Assed Broodmother..am I Not epic?" " oh? Broodmother? sorry dude I’;m hiding mounts." " oh… that sucks for me..I can’t show off My huge Broodmother to everyone."

I did make suggestions about temporary speed boosts balanced against other skills. But seems No one wants Limits On their speed boost… which is a reason it’s never gonna happen as most players desire.

A lot of players want a perma-speedboost. Not gonna happen. But hey…everyone is allowed to want things… even the dead men in hell want snowcones.

NPCS already get overcrowded so you cant access them easily. A change to a label that came to the front of everything else on screen would help. Also faster travel to me is fair when a player has put in time getting 100% explorers.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

Just like all those big Norns that are trolling everybody. Dismount in city’s or / and inside building. Problems solved. It’s not a big problem in MMO’s with mounts and it;s not a big problem with Norns in GW2. So why would it suddenly have to be a problem with mounts?

Weren’t you the one complaining that people used there opinions as facts. Well, “Not going to happen” might be a fact, but might not be fact, only future will tell so for now it’s your opinion that you state as a fact.

Just saying.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

NPCS already get overcrowded so you cant access them easily. A change to a label that came to the front of everything else on screen would help. Also faster travel to me is fair when a player has put in time getting 100% explorers.

As I said earlier, I have completed the world four times already and am fairly close to a fifth. A speed boost is a horrible idea and no amount of exploration could ever earn it.

The reason for this is that speed offers a clear advantage in combat, particularly in a combat system that is as active as Guild Wars 2’s. Position plays a valuable part in encounters, as does kiting, dodging and just simply stepping out of those beloved red circles. Runes and skills that help with speed are seen as particularly valuable as a result. Creating a speedboost device in mounts would serve to unbalance all of these systems Anet has worked hard to hold together. As such, if mounts are ever added, it is deeply unlikely that they will come with any gameplay adantages, speed included.

For those who are unaware: in Guild Wars 1, there was a mission, and a region, that gave players mounts. These mounts were desert wurms which swallowed toons and replaced all character skills with wurm skills. The wurms were needed to move through a highly toxic area of desert and could not tunnel through rock, only sand. Consequently, they could not be owned or taken out of that region. Were GW2 to add mounts, I would expect a system akin to this as it’s far easier to balance and design and less disruptive to every aspect of the game, unlike ‘regular mounts’ would be.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

bloodletting wolf.2837

There is opinion like a scared caveman trying to figure out what a an aeroplane is and a well observed, educated objective opinion and all in between. I would say my opinion is fact unless a dev spells out what is wrong with it.

1. Waste of development time – I’m pretty sure that mounts would not be a copy paste operation.
2. Lore – you bring up guns not being in GW1 – Gw2 is over 200 years after the first game. I don’t get your point of megaservers breaking way points either – I’m sure it will be fixed “some day”.
3. Lack of vision – OPINION

I would accept mounts under the following conditions and this is my OPINION
1. No speed boost – there is a reason that you have to sacrifice for speed and that some classes can move faster than others, it’s called class balance.
2. Give me the ability to make mounts invisible – there is enough ugly/stupid/gaudy garbage in this game as it is and I don’t care to have to be forced to see more.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

As I said earlier, I have completed the world four times already and am fairly close to a fifth. A speed boost is a horrible idea and no amount of exploration could ever earn it.

The reason for this is that speed offers a clear advantage in combat, particularly in a combat system that is as active as Guild Wars 2’s. Position plays a valuable part in encounters, as does kiting, dodging and just simply stepping out of those beloved red circles. Runes and skills that help with speed are seen as particularly valuable as a result. Creating a speedboost device in mounts would serve to unbalance all of these systems Anet has worked hard to hold together. As such, if mounts are ever added, it is deeply unlikely that they will come with any gameplay adantages, speed included.

In Guild Wars 1, there was a mission, and a region, that gave players mounts. These mounts were desert wurms who swallowed toons and replaced all character skills with wurm skills. The wurms were needed to move through a highly toxic area of desert and could not tunnel through rock, only sand. Consequently, they could not be owned or taken out of that region. Were GW2 to add mounts, I would expect a system akin to this as it’s far easier to balance and design and less disruptive to every aspect of the game, unlike ‘regular mounts’ would be.

Im not suggesting mounts for combat, dungeons, fractals, sPvP or WvW but just for fast travel in the open world. Just as in LOTR when I played and as I remember in TOR as well, a mount would be like a running character with a riding animation and speed boost except the mount would have its own health and if it died the character would be left on his feet to fight or run himself. I remember the Wurms. I have 6 capped character in GW1 too.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

1. Waste of development time – I’m pretty sure that mounts would not be a copy paste operation.
2. Lore – you bring up guns not being in GW1 – Gw2 is over 200 years after the first game. I don’t get your point of megaservers breaking way points either – I’m sure it will be fixed “some day”.

Give me the ability to make mounts invisible – there is enough ugly/stupid/gaudy garbage in this game as it is and I don’t care to have to be forced to see more.

Honestly if there is too much gaudy, stupid or ugly garbage why do you play? Do want to be able to turn off all the graphics? The graphics are a big big part of this games identity. I wont play Wildstar as it looks like a cartoon.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

bloodletting wolf.2837

Give me the ability to make mounts invisible – there is enough ugly/stupid/gaudy garbage in this game as it is and I don’t care to have to be forced to see more.

Honestly if there is too much gaudy, stupid or ugly garbage why do you play? Do want to be able to turn off all the graphics? The graphics are a big big part of this games identity. I wont play Wildstar as it looks like a cartoon.

Cherry picking again I see. I never said too much I said enough. Is it really that important to you that I see your stupid mount? Does your mount have to effect my enjoyment of the game?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

In Guild Wars 1, there was a mission, and a region, that gave players mounts. These mounts were desert wurms who swallowed toons and replaced all character skills with wurm skills. The wurms were needed to move through a highly toxic area of desert and could not tunnel through rock, only sand. Consequently, they could not be owned or taken out of that region. Were GW2 to add mounts, I would expect a system akin to this as it’s far easier to balance and design and less disruptive to every aspect of the game, unlike ‘regular mounts’ would be.

Im not suggesting mounts for combat, dungeons, fractals, sPvP or WvW but just for fast travel in the open world. Just as in LOTR when I played and as I remember in TOR as well, a mount would be like a running character with a riding animation and speed boost except the mount would have its own health and if it died the character would be left on his feet to fight or run himself. I remember the Wurms. I have 6 capped character in GW1 too.

So what you’re suggesting is a second healthbar and evasion tool. That’s very much an unbalanced, poor idea that would allow players to grief others, scale up events, hit something twice and then kite exceptionally fast to avoid damage, and obstruct the movement of other players. Wanna get somewhere fast? Waypoint. Mounts as a speedboost make no sense whatsoever and would only create a slew of problems for the developers to deal with.

This isn’t LotRO or SWTOR. This game was not designed to support mounts and were mounts added, every aspect of the game would need to be restructured, from skills and general balance to tweaking every armour piece available in the game. It’d be a nightmare for the developers. That’s why, if mounts are added, I expect them to be novelties (like the broom) or region bound (like the desert wurms).

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

Cherry picking again I see. I never said too much I said enough. Is it really that important to you that I see your stupid mount? Does your mount have to effect my enjoyment of the game?

All I get from you seems to come down to a hatred of mounts. To reply to you though if you don’t want to see the mount and its not going to be a problem for Anet to implement then I don’t see why you should not be able to turn off the mount graphic if you want to.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I want to disable legendaries. Oh, and tags, lots of them commander tags on the map.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Phadde.7362

So what you’re suggesting is a second healthbar and evasion tool. That’s very much an unbalanced, poor idea ……..

….. This game was not designed to support mounts and were mounts added, every aspect of the game would need to be restructured…

Why not just make it so that if you even get hit while on a mount, your mount would be dismissed and you would be dazed for 2 seconds. Nothing else has to change to maintain a balance.

Cred to Latinkuro

[Suggestion] Mounts?

bloodletting wolf.2837

All I get from you seems to come down to a hatred of mounts. To reply to you though if you don’t want to see the mount and its not going to be a problem for Anet to implement then I don’t see why you should not be able to turn off the mount graphic if you want to.

You still ignored the fact that speed is a factor in what little balance there is in the game.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

So what you’re suggesting is a second healthbar and evasion tool. That’s very much an unbalanced, poor idea ……..

….. This game was not designed to support mounts and were mounts added, every aspect of the game would need to be restructured…

Why not just make it so that if you even get hit while on a mount, your mount would be dismissed and you would be dazed for 2 seconds. Nothing else has to change to maintain a balance.

Because with the mob density in some areas, you’d not be able to ride your mount further than five in-game yards, making it pointless anyway.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

So what you’re suggesting is a second healthbar and evasion tool. That’s very much an unbalanced, poor idea that would allow players to grief others, scale up events, hit something twice and then kite exceptionally fast to avoid damage, and obstruct the movement of other players. Wanna get somewhere fast? Waypoint. Mounts as a speedboost make no sense whatsoever and would only create a slew of problems for the developers to deal with.

This isn’t LotRO or SWTOR. This game was not designed to support mounts and were mounts added, every aspect of the game would need to be restructured, from skills and general balance to tweaking every armour piece available in the game. It’d be a nightmare for the developers. That’s why, if mounts are added, I expect them to be novelties (like the broom) or region bound (like the desert wurms).

Things will need to be tweaked but I don’t see it being difficult.

Just as an example mounts could have a cooldown before resummon after you fall off if an enemy catches you. It would also just need an activation time to mount and dismount and so it wold be hard to see a benefit of riding incredibly fast into battle then having three seconds to dismount or power down or unstrap the cumbersome jetpack, fight then run away and have 5 minutes before you can remount again.

There’s no difference to griefing a player by running a monster or monsters into him as it is now.

The wurms we could ride in in GW1 were a great gimmick but nothing else.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

Just as an example mounts could have a cooldown before resummon after you fall off if an enemy catches you. It would also just need an activation time to mount and dismount and so it wold be hard to see a benefit of riding incredibly fast into battle then having three seconds to dismount or power down or unstrap the cumbersome jetpack, fight then run away and have 5 minutes before you can remount again.

There’s no difference to griefing a player by running a monster or monsters into him as it is now.

Mob density is thick in places but a decent speed and an evasion skill with a long cooldown could help.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Nerelith.7360

Go play LoTR then that game already has mounts for you :-) or even ToR. Leave our NO mount game alone , we like it as is.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

Mob density is thick in places but a decent speed and an evasion skill with a long cooldown could help.

‘Decent speed and an evasion skill’ would need to be balanced in terms of runes/sigils, skills/signets, endurance, the related gemstore boosters and the economy in general. None of that is easy. None of that counts as a ‘tweak’. That’s a total rebalance and/or a complete devaluation of certain items and skills in the game. The developers chose to cap speedboosts for a reason, they balanced various aspects of their game around that cap and to upset that, they would need a better reason than ‘I want to go zoom on my broothmother’. Want to run fast? Buy the right rune, equip the right skill. Want to get somewhere quickly? Use one of the perfectly good, lore-friendly, game-supported waypoints.

Gimmick mounts are far, far more likely than mounts that you can drag anywhere.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

To explain to people from the start I thought the game had a major contradiction in encouraging people to explore and fill out zones whilst putting in waypoints that meant once you made a quick run ignoring everything else along the way to get to that zone wp you just needed to you. There after you could then just teleport ignoring everything in between.

I have 5 capped toons and played since release but the highest exploration I have is 80% because I explored different areas with each and just ignored other areas completely because I could just run a line through to get to the wp I needed and the zones took long to full explore again. I could not be bothered exploring other areas again except until now. Im slowly, and when I can be bothered playing, trying to get full world completion on one character.

Anet wasted their encouragement to explore, explore, explore on me

(edited by joneb.5679)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You don’t need to own mounts to have them in the game if you just want something cool.

There could be things like events in which you get to ride a charrcopter and fire at flying dragon minions.

When the event is over, the ride is over.

You get to enjoy the fun of mounts, but don’t get to keep them and run around with them wherever you are.

And there’s already things like siege golems and mecha devourers. They just won’t show your character’s model on them, so they feel more like transformations.

Maybe they should rework those golems so they behabe more like outfits, so your character’s head appears behind a glass with some visuals kind of like the inside of Ironman’s helmet or like wearing the Gas Mask Skin.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

‘Decent speed and an evasion skill’ would need to be balanced in terms of runes/sigils, skills/signets, endurance, the related gemstore boosters and the economy in general. None of that is easy. None of that counts as a ‘tweak’. That’s a total rebalance and/or a complete devaluation of certain items and skills in the game. The developers chose to cap speedboosts for a reason, they balanced various aspects of their game around that cap and to upset that, they would need a better reason than ‘I want to go zoom on my broothmother’. Want to run fast? Buy the right rune, equip the right skill. Want to get somewhere quickly? Use one of the perfectly good, lore-friendly, game-supported waypoints.

Gimmick mounts are far, far more likely than mounts that you can drag anywhere.

A decent speed and evasion skill on your mount should not be influenced by runes etc or need not influence them imo because the mount will be designed not to be useful outside getting from one pve zone to another fast and if combat happens running into an event your horse will cause you to have a 3 second dismount activation time and 5 minutes cooldown so its not going to be easy to exploit.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

Player running speeds need never be affected by the way because speed boosts still allow them to run fast into battle and run around in battle, which you cant do with a mount in my plans because you will be taking damage as you dismount.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

To explain to people from the start I thought the game had a major contradiction in encouraging people to explore and fill out zones whilst putting in waypoints that meant once you made a quick run ignoring everything else along the way to get to that zone wp you just needed to you. There after you could then just teleport ignoring everything in between.

I have 5 capped toons and played since release but the highest exploration I have is 80% because I explored different areas with each and just ignored other areas completely because I could just run a line through to get to the wp I needed and the zones took long to full explore again. I could not be bothered exploring other areas again except until now. Im slowly, and when I can be bothered playing, trying to get full world completion on one character.

Guild Wars 2 is one of the few MMOs on the market that rewards players for pure exploration. However, it doesn’t force you into clearing every corner of the map, nor does it punish you for wanting to take a break. Fast travel is a feature of the Guild Wars series, it’s also rather nicely built into the lore and there is little reason to ignore that when waypoints provide such a brilliant convenience. Waypointing saves players from having to trek across maps in order to get to a dungeon, or a guild mission, or a world boss. This is great because it means that players can jump right into the fun, rather than spend several minutes, or even an hour, preparing to have fun.

Let me regale you with a story for a moment. Back in Guild Wars 1, map completion was killer; brutal and unforgiving in the most cruel of ways. I completed my cartography in tandem with vanquishing, which, for those who don’t know, involved slaughtering every mob on every map in hard mode. Cartography/Vanquishing in Ascalon was a particularly gruesome endeavour. Party size was reduced from the usual eight, to a harsh four. However, if you travelled from Yak’s bend, you could get an extra two party members and you could drag them onto any Ascalonian map. Unfortunately, if you zoned to a city or an outpost, your extra members would go poof so if you wanted to be ‘efficient’, you needed to caravan and to complete map, after map, after map.

In one session, I completed Traveller’s Vale, Ascalon Foothills, Diessa Lowlands, Flame Temple Corridor, Dragon’s Gullet, The Breach, Old Ascalon, Regent River Valley, Pockmark Flats and the Eastern Frontier. During this time, I learned the pain of walking, the pain of being unable to just click a button to backtrack or get to a map easily. If I stopped half-way through a map, I would lose my progress on that map and would have to start vanquishing all over again. I’d also need to run through all the maps I’d completed in order to get to whatever was next in the chain.

At present, in Guild Wars 2, my Thief is sitting at 81% map completion. I might only do a heart today, I might do nothing at all but it’s likely that my friends will call on me to run a dungeon and not having to run from the top of Mount Maelstrom, which is where my little Thief is right now, to Beetletun, which has the armour one of my friends is keen on getting, will be wonderful. Not losing my progress, not having to run the distance to get back again, not halting or interrupting or stuffing any pointless travel time in my game experience… well, that’s just beautiful to me. Whether I were to run that distance on foot, or sat in the kittenpit of a charr chugger, it would still be a waste of my time. Nothing but an obstruction that stopped me from getting to the content I wanted to do.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Guild Wars 2 is one of the few MMOs on the market that rewards players for pure exploration. However, it doesn’t force you into clearing every corner of the map, nor does it punish you for wanting to take a break. Fast travel is a feature of the Guild Wars series, it’s also rather nicely built into the lore and there is little reason to ignore that when waypoints provide such a brilliant convenience. Waypointing saves players from having to trek across maps in order to get to a dungeon, or a guild mission, or a world boss. This is great because it means that players can jump right into the fun, rather than spend several minutes, or even an hour, preparing to have fun.

Let me regale you with a story for a moment. Back in Guild Wars 1, map completion was killer; brutal and unforgiving in the most cruel of ways. I completed my cartography in tandem with vanquishing, which, for those who don’t know, involved slaughtering every mob on every map in hard mode. Cartography/Vanquishing in Ascalon was a particularly gruesome endeavour. Party size was reduced from the usual eight, to a harsh four. However, if you travelled from Yak’s bend, you could get an extra two party members and you could drag them onto any Ascalonian map. Unfortunately, if you zoned to a city or an outpost, your extra members would go poof so if you wanted to be ‘efficient’, you needed to caravan and to complete map, after map, after map.

In one session, I completed Traveller’s Vale, Ascalon Foothills, Diessa Lowlands, Flame Temple Corridor, Dragon’s Gullet, The Breach, Old Ascalon, Regent River Valley, Pockmark Flats and the Eastern Frontier. During this time, I learned the pain of walking, the pain of being unable to just click a button to backtrack or get to a map easily. If I stopped half-way through a map, I would lose my progress on that map and would have to start vanquishing all over again. I’d also need to run through all the maps I’d completed in order to get to whatever was next in the chain.

At present, in Guild Wars 2, my Thief is sitting at 81% map completion. I might only do a heart today, I might do nothing at all but it’s likely that my friends will call on me to run a dungeon and not having to run from the top of Mount Maelstrom, which is where my little Thief is right now, to Beetletun, which has the armour one of my friends is keen on getting, will be wonderful. Not losing my progress, not having to run the distance to get back again, not halting or interrupting or stuffing any pointless travel time in my game experience… well, that’s just beautiful to me. Whether I were to run that distance on foot, or sat in the kittenpit of a charr chugger, it would still be a waste of my time. Nothing but an obstruction that stopped me from getting to the content I wanted to do.

I expect that meeting when adding waypoints went like this:
‘We spent 4 of the 5 years from 2007, when we first said anything about a sequel, to 2012, when released, designing the world of our game with an artistic, painterly effect. Great job! Now, add waypoints every 20 feet so most of it goes unnoticed except by those who want to go through the same thing over and over 5 or so times. At least you artist helped provide grounds for a good gold sink!’

Even with mounts, some key waypoints would remain. The world would get noticed more if there were less waypoints in zones.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

(edited by Skan.5301)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

I expect that meeting when adding waypoints went like this:
‘We spent 4 of the 5 years from 2007, when we first said anything about a sequel, to 2012, when released, designing the world of our game with an artistic, painterly effect. Great job! Now, add waypoints every 20 feet so most of it goes unnoticed except by those who want to go through the same thing over and over 5 or so times. At least you artist helped provide grounds for a good gold sink!’

I’ve heard very few people complain about the way the game looks. On the contrary, most players seem greatly enthused about the art direction. People who don’t want to explore every nook and cranny aren’t incapable of appreciating a great view from time to time and every player seems to carefully craft their characters’ looks and armour sets. I simply disagree with the idea that players should be forced into going through content they don’t want to do. Not everyone likes exploring, not everyone cares about map completion. I do, I love this world and I love the way it looks but not even I want to feel forced into trek after trek for the sake of progress. That’s just not fun.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

Maybe Im different from the people you are used to but after playing GW1 for three years and then going to another game I couldn’t get back into it even when it had some new content. I thinks alot of people like me do move on forever when they move on if their new game captures their attention and imagination. I did the LA run, the Drognars run, and four of my characters completed all Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, EotN.

The travel made sense in GW1 to me because I didnt play online rpg type games before that and becasue it was a heavily instanced theme park game. It felt very much more on rails than GW2.

Then when I played another mmo without mounts I wasnt bothered. Then I played two others with mounts and they so made sense because travel meant people were often populating zones as they passed through and you could get of your mount and get involved. WPs everywhere are just ways to avoid other people on the road. Avoid events on the way. Get somewhere fast and ignore the rest of the world.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Y’all forgot swimming – how would mounts do that?

Y’all keep questioning and coming up with more issues as to why it is hard to put mounts in a game that does not have them already. That is probably why it hasn’t been done and won’t be done.

I would expect that land mounts would disappear when going below the surface (if herd animals) and there would most likely be underwater mounts and devices something that I’d hoped for in other titles with a steampunk style technology available. As an engineer I would so love one of those water fans that allow you to swim at high speeds they give to some divers.

Attachments:

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

For those who are unaware: in Guild Wars 1, there was a mission, and a region, that gave players mounts. These mounts were desert wurms which swallowed toons and replaced all character skills with wurm skills. The wurms were needed to move through a highly toxic area of desert and could not tunnel through rock, only sand. Consequently, they could not be owned or taken out of that region. Were GW2 to add mounts, I would expect a system akin to this as it’s far easier to balance and design and less disruptive to every aspect of the game, unlike ‘regular mounts’ would be.

Then simply don’t make combat mounts (seemed like that was what Colin was more interested in btw) and dismount or at least don’t be able to fight when on a mount.

That would fix all balancing problems.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

Maybe Im different from the people you are used to but after playing GW1 for three years and then going to another game I couldn’t get back into it even when it had some new content. I thinks alot of people like me do move on forever when they move on if their new game captures their attention and imagination. I did the LA run, the Drognars run, and four of my characters completed all Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, EotN.

The travel made sense in GW1 to me because I didnt play online rpg type games before that and becasue it was a heavily instanced theme park game. It felt very much more on rails than GW2.

Then when I played another mmo without mounts I wasnt bothered. Then I played two others with mounts and they so made sense because travel meant people were often populating zones as they passed through and you could get of your mount and get involved. WPs everywhere are just ways to avoid other people on the road. Avoid events on the way. Get somewhere fast and ignore the rest of the world.

You are different than me. Your tastes and playstyles have adapted through different experiences and that’s absolutely fine. What isn’t fine is the idea that players should be forced to drag themselves through content they really don’t want to do. If a player wants to ‘skip a zone’ in order to get to a dungeon, or the spawn site of a world boss, then there’s no good reason they should be forced into making a long, morale-crushing trek.

At present, zones are fairly populated anyway and people will shout out on map if and when they need help, or whenever an event of interest pops up. Having a player wander through the world on the back of a broothmother wouldn’t hinder or help the levels of population in a zone, not in a game like GW2, with its event system and megaservers.

And that’s the crux of the issue, really: Guild Wars 2 was not designed to have mounts. When it was being developed, the staff were working around the knowledge that there would be no mounted transport and so everything was put in place in a way that left no space for anything but gimmick mounts, such as the broomstick or its predecessor’s desert wurms. Those are fun, limited and don’t take too many resources away from the development teams. Were mounts to be added in a way that’s similar to WoW, LotRO and others, space would have to be created in the Guild Wars 2 picture. It’s as if you forced a puzzle piece into a completely different puzzle.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Phadde.7362

Because with the mob density in some areas, you’d not be able to ride your mount further than five in-game yards, making it pointless anyway.

There are roads in the game. By design you are supposed to be able to avoid aggro entirely while on those roads.
Besides, there are lots of areas in each zone where you can run and entirely avoid attacks.

Cred to Latinkuro

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

If I remember correctly that is how WoW did it? So I think many will not like that solution, simply because WoW did it. Personally I think there would be cooler ways. There is also a game (can’t remember what) where if you ride a horse and it gets spooked it throws you of the back and runs away.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

joneb.5679

You are different than me. Your tastes and playstyles have adapted through different experiences and that’s absolutely fine. What isn’t fine is the idea that players should be forced to drag themselves through content they really don’t want to do. If a player wants to ‘skip a zone’ in order to get to a dungeon, or the spawn site of a world boss, then there’s no good reason they should be forced into making a long, morale-crushing trek.

At present, zones are fairly populated anyway and people will shout out on map if and when they need help, or whenever an event of interest pops up. Having a player wander through the world on the back of a broothmother wouldn’t hinder or help the levels of population in a zone, not in a game like GW2, with its event system and megaservers.

And that’s the crux of the issue, really: Guild Wars 2 was not designed to have mounts. When it was being developed, the staff were working around the knowledge that there would be no mounted transport and so everything was put in place in a way that left no space for anything but gimmick mounts, such as the broomstick or its predecessor’s desert wurms. Those are fun, limited and don’t take too many resources away from the development teams. Were mounts to be added in a way that’s similar to WoW, LotRO and others, space would have to be created in the Guild Wars 2 picture. It’s as if you forced a puzzle piece into a completely different puzzle.

You failed to interpret what I read because nowhere did I say stop having WPs. I ask for this in addition. By the way its not a game breaker for me but there sure seems like a lot of unnatural fear or hatred over something in a game whether or not it doesn’t take from the game but adds to it. If people are so sure it wont happen, that Anet wont allow it then they shouldn’t need to feel they need to argue that point out because they should be secure in their convictions.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

However, it doesn’t force you into clearing every corner of the map, nor does it punish you for wanting to take a break.

You must be talking about another game.

In GW2 getting map completion is a list of points you need to walk by or interact with. A big list.

In GW2 during the LS if you take a break you miss out on events, content and rewards.. for ever.

Anyway, not mount related.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

You failed to interpret what I read because nowhere did I say stop having WPs. I ask for this in addition. By the way its not a game breaker for me but there sure seems like a lot of unnatural fear or hatred over something in a game whether or not it doesn’t take from the game but adds to it. If people are so sure it wont happen, that Anet wont allow it then they shouldn’t need to feel they need to argue that point out because they should be secure in their convictions.

I think that’s because few games do mounts particularly well and Anet has so many features already in the game that fill the roles that mounts usually occupy. I like the existence of speed runes, skills and swiftness, not just for combat, but for map travel. I don’t want mounts to be as good as that, because there’s no reason to make something that works and is worked into so many systems obsolete. I don’t want mounts to become fast travel options and as purely cosmetic items they make characters, their armour and their weapons look… small and trivial. You’re less likely to notice Kudzu on someone’s back if they’re on the back of some gigantic charr device. Not only that, but those models would take up so much space and would be hell on maps where large numbers of people gather already. Poor low-mid computer people don’t deserve that. Lorewise, how would Anet justify people suddenly using mounts en masse? That’s not the norm in Tyria and it never has been.

From a simple and selfish point of view, I don’t want to see mounts as a feature. How many AAA MMO releases offer a game world with no mounts? Where would the people who dislike mounts go were mounts added to Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 offers me a sanctuary from the obnoxiousness of mounts and all that surrounds them. I am happy without them. I would be unhappy to see them all around me and if they became the fastest way to travel, well, that would destroy the aspect of this game I like most (exploration) for me.

Arenanet has no plans to add mounts. However, like Cantha, if there is enough demand, they will look into it. That’s what these forums are for and it’s why threads like this are filled with such absolutes on both sides.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I think that’s because few games do mounts particularly well and Anet has so many features already in the game that fill the roles that mounts usually occupy. I like the existence of speed runes, skills and swiftness, not just for combat, but for map travel. I don’t want mounts to be as good as that, because there’s no reason to make something that works and is worked into so many systems obsolete. I don’t want mounts to become fast travel options and as purely cosmetic items they make characters, their armour and their weapons look… small and trivial. You’re less likely to notice Kudzu on someone’s back if they’re on the back of some gigantic charr device. Not only that, but those models would take up so much space and would be hell on maps where large numbers of people gather already. Poor low-mid computer people don’t deserve that. Lorewise, how would Anet justify people suddenly using mounts en masse? That’s not the norm in Tyria and it never has been.

From a simple and selfish point of view, I don’t want to see mounts as a feature. How many AAA MMO releases offer a game world with no mounts? Where would the people who dislike mounts go were mounts added to Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 offers me a sanctuary from the obnoxiousness of mounts and all that surrounds them. I am happy without them. I would be unhappy to see them all around me and if they became the fastest way to travel, well, that would destroy the aspect of this game I like most (exploration) for me.

Arenanet has no plans to add mounts. However, like Cantha, if there is enough demand, they will look into it. That’s what these forums are for and it’s why threads like this are filled with such absolutes on both sides.

If you look around there are hints that Cantha is totally closed off from the rest of Tyria as they didn’t want to deal with the elder dragons. Even the Tengu left Cantha. I don’t think Cantha will be in anytime soon – back to the OD.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Safer Saviour.9685

If you look around there are hints that Cantha is totally closed off from the rest of Tyria as they didn’t want to deal with the elder dragons. Even the Tengu left Cantha. I don’t think Cantha will be in anytime soon – back to the OD.

As Cantha hasn’t been in contact with continental Tyria for around a century, how things stand is a mystery that players seem very keen to explore, judging on how often the topic of Cantha pops up. I too, doubt we’ll see it any time soon (DEFINITELY not in 2014) but people keep calling for it.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Rogue to Thief
Paladin to Guardian
Warrior to Warrior
Warlock to Necromancer
Hunter to Ranger
Mage to Elementalist

All of these classes existed in EverQuest before even WoW existed, so they are not a feature that would be making Gw2 More Like World of Warcraft, just more like an MMO.

Dagger, bow, GS, staff, shield, sword, 1h axe, gun, 2h mace (hammer), wand (scepter)

Hearthstone to Waypoint

Transmog to Wardrobe

I think the devs already beat the players when it comes to taking a concept from WoW. Lets not pretend this is a unique snowflake to the mmo genre, taking an idea from another game that has worked well is nothing new, WoW has done it and so has GW2.

Except everything you mentioned has been in MMO’s before World of warcraft. Fact is, they were in MMO’s before there were MMO Anyone remember paper and pencil games Like Dungeons and Dragons?

1. Unecessary
2. Undesired

and

4. Would make this thread # 459,862 that seeks to introduce an element that would turn this even MORE into a WoW clone.

Mounts. Trinity. End game raiding. Dedicated Healer. Dedicated tank, etc etc etc

For those that miss World of Warcraft that game is still around, go play World of warcraft.

I am sure there are tons of games with mounts. This isn’t one of them, and that’s the way we like it.

PS: I know many people will now say " But look at the millions that play World of Warcraft… it’s a great game." No…. it is a simple game that has appealed to the LCD.

McDonald’s has also served BILLIONS that doesn’t make it a great restaurant chain. If I had to choose between them and Red Lobster…. I would not be munchin’ down on a Big Mac.

But for those who’se first dining experience was a McDonald’s that never visited a Red Lobster, I can understand why they would walk into one, and ask.." Happy Meal?"

Since you were blinded by the word WoW here’s a cut from my post you seemed to miss~

“taking an idea from another game that has worked well is nothing new, WoW has done it and so has GW2”

and as another has pointed out what would be the reason? money.

If GW2 added mounts and threw one in the gem store it would be one the best selling items yet, nobody can argue that either.

The players against are the small minority here and sales would prove that over a weekend.

This game is not catered for you or your likes, it’s catered for the masses and revenue, time to move on from the GW1 mentality.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Nerelith.7360

However, it doesn’t force you into clearing every corner of the map, nor does it punish you for wanting to take a break.

You must be talking about another game.

In GW2 getting map completion is a list of points you need to walk by or interact with. A big list.

In GW2 during the LS if you take a break you miss out on events, content and rewards.. for ever.

Anyway, not mount related.

I have not done living story, except for a few forays into Lion’s arch when it went kerplunk… I am still having fun, and don’t feel i missed out on anything.

Back to mounts.

No.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Nerelith.7360

Rogue to Thief
Paladin to Guardian
Warrior to Warrior
Warlock to Necromancer
Hunter to Ranger
Mage to Elementalist

Hearthstone to Waypoint

Transmog to Wardrobe

1. Unecessary
2. Undesired

and

Since you were blinded by the word WoW here’s a cut from my post you seemed to miss~

“taking an idea from another game that has worked well is nothing new, WoW has done it and so has GW2”

and as another has pointed out what would be the reason? money.

If GW2 added mounts and threw one in the gem store it would be one the best selling items yet, nobody can argue that either.

The players against are the small minority here and sales would prove that over a weekend.

This game is not catered for you or your likes, it’s catered for the masses and revenue, time to move on from the GW1 mentality.

Nice try. But since I Played Gw1 since it was released..Ok a week after release. And have Played other games in NCSoft’s Line up. I have some idea How Anet operates.

Here is the reason you won’t see Mounts.

1. Aesthetics. It will clutter up the screen for people that do nto wish to see them, and will be used by griefers.

Answer: Make it so ONLY people that wish to see Mounts can see Mounts , and those that cannot, do not.

Problem: No Visual Bling. Reason #1 for Cosmetics only mounts.

2. Balance. They have gone out of their way to provide us with a fast travel system that is also a gold sink. So they do not have to put mounts in the game. Speed boost mounts would make many existing skills unnecessary. Means they need to do a major job re-balancing, and recreating skills because why would an elementalist use the " speed buff on air attnemtn" trait for example if she can ride a perma speed boost mount? or use the air attunemtn staff speed boost skill?

3. Lore. This has been covered to death.

There needs to either be a NEED for Mounts…. (there isn’t)..or a desire for mounts that doesn’t require a revamping of the entire game.

Anet is Not gonna go through all that effort to introduce something they have no need to introduce… to introduce something on the gem store…for some cha-ching…..

There are free2play games out there, that would do exactly that.

How do we Know Anet won’;t do it for that reason? because since release there have only been 2 Mounts in the store…purely cosmetic. Ok, there you see that they know how to make them, and Know how to sell them…so…why haven’t Mounts deluged the gem shop? If their ONLY Motive is " Money!" ?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: vikkival.2459

vikkival.2459

With your argument there would be no reason to add any new fun content and all we get would be for QoL patches.

…i have already addressed that in this discussion, several pages ago. I will quote it back:

Any new introduction to the game needs to be weighted in terms of necessity (does the game needs it?), desirability (do the people want it? are the people against it?) and difficulty (how hard it is to implement). For something to be done, the first two need to outweight the third.

What you are speaking now is the second point (desirability). Fun content worth introducing is the one that is fun to majority, or one that is fun for significant number of players and has no strong opposition.

Mounts are a content that is indeed fun to some, but so far there is nothing to suggest that it fulfills one of those criteria. Quite the opposite, in fact.

In short, you were unable to prove so far that it is indeed a fun content. Only, that it is fun personally to you. Those are not the same.

Yeah and you said that if something that is not in the game and there are people who want it for fun (as with any new content except for QoL) and there are people who do not want it the not wanting out-waits the wanting because it’s just fun.

So again, by your definition, new content would never be introduces because there will always be people want wanting it and they outweighs those wanting it.

When you now say ”and has no strong opposition.” that means that those with the biggest mouth always git it there way… well if they do NOT want something.

“In short, you were unable to prove so far that it is indeed a fun content. Only, that it is funpersonally to you. Those are not the same.“

You see this is what I mean.. There will always be people for it and against it. Fun is subjective so you can never proof something is fun for everybody. And so you always outweigh those who scream it’s not fun for them. So again, by your definition we would never add new content.

The reason that something is fun for people is a good reason to add it. Like it or not.

That’s not what he means.

For example,
Anet is working on a poster board project. The data is pretty good and flows nicely. Then Devata comes in and says, “You know, It would be nice to add in this chart. It’s not needed at all but I think it’s a nice info to mention.” Problem is, there’s not space to put this chart in. Anet will have to erase and rearrange a good portion of the board. Or take a piece of paper and attach it with some tape or whatever. Now Astralporing and Nerelith comes in and says, “Er why go through all that. Seems pretty well the way it is. Besides the info chart is completely irrelevant…How about you improve this instead”

Should Anet spend the 5 hours rearranging board for Devata (minority) on something unneeded (fluff) or listen to Astralporing and Nerelith (majority) and leave it as is and focus on improving the board even more (precursor fix, new maps, and living story)?

There are two points for leaving the chart out and only one point for adding it in. Majority wins.

Now if you had an good defense, "Not only is it a fun fact but….(something convincing enough to win over at least one of the other points – either getting more people on your side or finding a way fit it in successfully) then you stand a chance of getting your chart.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

With your argument there would be no reason to add any new fun content and all we get would be for QoL patches.

…i have already addressed that in this discussion, several pages ago. I will quote it back:

Any new introduction to the game needs to be weighted in terms of necessity (does the game needs it?), desirability (do the people want it? are the people against it?) and difficulty (how hard it is to implement). For something to be done, the first two need to outweight the third.

What you are speaking now is the second point (desirability). Fun content worth introducing is the one that is fun to majority, or one that is fun for significant number of players and has no strong opposition.

Mounts are a content that is indeed fun to some, but so far there is nothing to suggest that it fulfills one of those criteria. Quite the opposite, in fact.

In short, you were unable to prove so far that it is indeed a fun content. Only, that it is fun personally to you. Those are not the same.

Yeah and you said that

So again, by your definition, new content would never be introduces because there will always be people want wanting it and they outweighs those wanting it.

No. reread what i wrote. It works that way here, because those that want mounts are not in majority (or at least nothing points to them being in one).

So, to rephrase what you said so it actually follows what I have said:

“If something that is not in the game and there are people who want it for fun and there are people who do not want it, and there is at least as many people that do not want it, then the not wanting out-waits the wanting because it takes away more fun that it brings”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

How do we Know Anet won’;t do it for that reason? because since release there have only been 2 Mounts in the store…purely cosmetic. Ok, there you see that they know how to make them, and Know how to sell them…so…why haven’t Mounts deluged the gem shop? If their ONLY Motive is " Money!" ?

Perhaps because they’ve had bigger fish to fry? Or lower hanging fruit?

Hm, now I’m hungry.

Basically, the changes they’ve made so far have appeared to them to have a greater return to investment ratio than adding mounts. Just like adding a significant new zone.

That doesn’t mean they’ve decided the possible return won’t be worth the investment at some point in the future.

Are people honestly willing to argue that everything that will ever be in game is currently in game? That we’ll only ever get reworks of things they’ve already put in game, because if it was going to be added, it would have by now?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I also don’t get this whole “burden of proof” talking point that keeps getting hit.

“Since mounts aren’t currently in the game, people who want them have to prove that they should be included and I don’t find the reasons you’ve posted convincing” is a lot of extra wordage to basically say, ‘I don’t find the reasons you’ve posted for mounts convincing."

It just seems to be a way to try and set up one side as the judge and jury who doesn’t have to engage in the conversation, but can just keep coming back with “Nope.” as the total of their argument.

An no one in this thread has authority to be the judge and jury on this issue. It’s up to ArenaNet.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: vikkival.2459

vikkival.2459

I also don’t get this whole “burden of proof” talking point that keeps getting hit.

“Since mounts aren’t currently in the game, people who want them have to prove that they should be included and I don’t find the reasons you’ve posted convincing” is a lot of extra wordage to basically say, ‘I don’t find the reasons you’ve posted for mounts convincing."

It just seems to be a way to try and set up one side as the judge and jury who doesn’t have to engage in the conversation, but can just keep coming back with “Nope.” as the total of their argument.

An no one in this thread has authority to be the judge and jury on this issue. It’s up to ArenaNet.

Very true. The only reason we are asking for reasons is because so many people disagree with this suggestion. You’re not only asking for Anet to do this but you are also going against a group of people who don’t want it vs when someone suggest something (precursor crafting) and a majority of people agree.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Devata.6589

Yeah and you said that

No. reread what i wrote. It works that way here, because those that want mounts are not in majority (or at least nothing points to them being in one).

So, to rephrase what you said so it actually follows what I have said:

“If something that is not in the game and there are people who want it for fun and there are people who do not want it, and there is at least as many people that do not want it, then the not wanting out-waits the wanting because it takes away more fun that it brings”.

Pretty sure you are wrong about that majority part. It would be a huge selling point for an expansions because so many people are interested in it.

(edited by Devata.6589)