Suggestion! OOC Elem swapping

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Radakill.3469

Radakill.3469

Cant seem to find a specific suggestion area so Im posting this here:

OK, so elems cant swap weps in combat, thats how the devs want it, so be it. We can live with that.

However, going into inventory when you want to change a weapon does get rather tedious, soooo…. hows this for a compromise:

I suggest elems have a swap slot for an additional weapon, that only works ooc. Seems like a pretty simple thing to add in, and would still be in line with the devs idea of present combat.

This would make a horde of elems happy.

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

This has been suggested since the beta days with overwhelming support, and considering some old QoL features asked for around that time were included in the recent Feature Pack, there’s no reason to lose hope this might get in next year :P

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

inb4 “But eles have 20 skills!”

But yes, this would be a nice QoL improvement for all classes, honestly, not just eles.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I also wouldn’t be opposed to just a really long cooldown on the weapon swap.
90 seconds or so.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

All of my yes.

/15char

Posted by: XApocalypse.8739

XApocalypse.8739

This would be great so tired of searching in my inventory and then getting forced into combat before i can find my weapon.

Posted by: Shin Phoenix.9243

Shin Phoenix.9243

Cant seem to find a specific suggestion area so Im posting this here:

I suggest elems have a swap slot for an additional weapon, that only works ooc. Seems like a pretty simple thing to add in, and would still be in line with the devs idea of present combat.

This would make a horde of elems happy.

As I player with an ele main I support this. A strictly out of combat weapon swap facility would be useful without giving us 40 weapon skills in a combat situation. I’d also find the following benefits useful.

• Extra “slot” for staff or weapon and offhand, puts us on a par with other professions
  • An alternative way to equip a staff after a weapon and offhand combo that does NOT result in your offhand being placed somewhere unexpected in your inventory

I think to be fair Engineers need an out of combat weapon swap slot too.

Shin

Posted by: nolij.4327

nolij.4327

ITT : ele elitism

if eles can easily swap ooc, then my mesmer should be able to swap to every single weapon even during combat. see, i don’t have 4 different elements to switch to as a mesmer. see the difference?

eles are the warriors of casters, i swear. meat heads!

potatoes gon’ potate

Posted by: Arcturus.8109

Arcturus.8109

I
if eles can easily swap ooc, then my mesmer should be able to swap to every single weapon even during combat.

Not in combat. but it would be nice to have saved weapon, armor and build presets to swap easily out of combat (and spvp). However [whine] GW2 UI is so god kitten FRIGGIN AWFUL STUB, especially parts related to combat and almost nothing was done to this in two years so I guess we are going to swap things from inventory, search for condition damage in combat log and burn eyes looking at asura’s animations until the very end. And we cannot even customize or do addons to fix it.[/whine]

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

ITT : ele elitism

if eles can easily swap ooc, then my mesmer should be able to swap to every single weapon even during combat. see, i don’t have 4 different elements to switch to as a mesmer. see the difference?

eles are the warriors of casters, i swear. meat heads!

what?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No – it would make ele’s too OP and they are already OP.

Ele’s already have 4 separate skill trees they can use with one set of weapons and that is = to the other professions having 4 sets of weapons to switch to. Wait – they only have 2, so no – you want ele’s to have 8 and the others still to have 2 – that would be OP, even if it was out of combat.

Every profession has a weakness in their builds, and that is why the game is set up the way it is. Having more than one weapon for an ele to swap to would mean that weakness would be gone. That is not fair and that is not balanced.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

ExTribble.7108

Ele’s already have 4 separate skill trees they can use with one set of weapons and that is = to the other professions having 4 sets of weapons to switch to. Wait – they only have 2, so no – you want ele’s to have 8 and the others still to have 2 – that would be OP, even if it was out of combat.

Every profession has a weakness in their builds, and that is why the game is set up the way it is. Having more than one weapon for an ele to swap to would mean that weakness would be gone. That is not fair and that is not balanced.

Your argument contradicts itself. You say it’s unfair for them to have another weapon (set) to swap to because it gives access to more skills, yet it’s out of combat so it gives absolutely zero advantage. This will change nothing when fighting eles. It’s just a convenience feature. Add the option for an ooc set for other classes as well if it tickles your fancy, but it should be for eles & engis at a minimum.

Out of combat convenience changes make absolutely no difference when it comes to balancing classes.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Would it also be OP to request a feature from EQ2 instead, that we can flag items for “no sale” ?

Because .. in the end the main problem is just the inventory sorting and hassle with invisible boxes so that we don’t sell maybe a dagger because after a switch it lands in a normal box.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And us elementalists would not be opposed to them giving out of combat weapon set swaps to all other classes as well.

Because we know that some weapon sets are better for some situations over others. Even of the only difference is the set of runes.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

ooc swapping would be welcome. Its a useful convenience thing and wont unbalance anything.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Can I get a big hell yeah for this feature!??

P.S Interesting… hell isn’t censored…

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

Your argument has about 0 merit right here. It’s an OOC weapon swap. Anyone can already do this by opening their inventory or hero panel. They’re only asking for an OOC weapon swap due to the fact that your offhand (and this goes for all classes) often times ends up somewhere random in your bags, and when some of us have 160 slots it can easily take a while to find when your bags are near full.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Your argument has about 0 merit right here. It’s an OOC weapon swap. Anyone can already do this by opening their inventory or hero panel. They’re only asking for an OOC weapon swap due to the fact that your offhand (and this goes for all classes) often times ends up somewhere random in your bags, and when some of us have 160 slots it can easily take a while to find when your bags are near full.

RIGHT!

For those who aren’t getting it – OOC=OUT OF COMBAT, meaning the only OP-ness will be against, like trees or ore nodes or gasp AMBIENT critters. If you’re worried about them being able to complete Daily Ambient in uber form, you haven’t thought that through.

Worst I can see happening is while in combat, the elementalist is stealthed by a thief and can swap weapons (which they can already do) OR ele steps out of line of sight, waits till all aggro drops (by which time the fight’s likely done) and switches weapons.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Would it also be OP to request a feature from EQ2 instead, that we can flag items for “no sale” ?

Because .. in the end the main problem is just the inventory sorting and hassle with invisible boxes so that we don’t sell maybe a dagger because after a switch it lands in a normal box.

Why is it most games (never played evercrack, so dunno) have the absolutely worst insight put into inventories? I understand limiting you to only so much storage – that’s a revenue stream; but unless you’re selling “Inventory Management” as a category in the gem store, why suckify on-character inventory?

EDIT: Here’s a SIMPLE quick fix that would help immediately without requiring the complexity of like a gearset: Put item in slot, right click item while in slot, choose “remember location”, then do so until that item is removed from on-character or destroyed, at which point the inventory slot becomes fair game for use by any other item.

(edited by KarateKid.5648)

Dusty Moon.4382

I understand that – it is a no go unless ALL professions have the same thing.

Sorry no – OP.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Sorry no – OP.

This makes absolutely NO sense. Eles and Engis are the only class that can NOT one button swap weapons, out of combat. They have to go into their Inventory or Equipment screens and manually click the weapons. Every other class has a second set ready and only has to press one button out of combat.

You, literally, have no valid complaint against the idea.

Throwing my support in for an OOC weapon swap! If nothing else, we deserve those extra two slots to hold weapons, that all the other classes get for free.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Sorry no – OP.

Which means you agree with OP’s suggestion as all professions except elementalist and engie have out of combat weapon swapping with a keybind.

Right now an ele can, while out of combat, open up inventory and switch weapons. I think you can agree that this is not overpowered.
So, how does having a keybind to do the exact same thing make it overpowered?
If you can explain how it does, this it would help to understand your reasons against it.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I don’t know. I mean imo, it is already pretty balanced by the fact that you already have such a wide variety of skills to switch between while in combat.

With all the different attunements you have, you can easily switch between healing, dps, defense, and speed.

Maybe you got caught alone with a staff equipped. You can switch to earth, immobilize, then put up a wall to give you time to escape, then go lighting and use swiftness while dropping a static field, then go water if you took any damage and drop an ice field to slow your attacker down (you still have your slot skills to use also). If you get away then you can switch to daggers or whatevs and bring the pain.

I personally think that it is a fair tradeoff. You can’t switch weapons out of combat as fast because of how you can switch attunements while in combat.

And it is not like you just can’t switch at all, it is that you cannot do it as fast as a single click. I think it is fair as it is because of what elementalists and engineers are capable of while in combat.

I hope that made sense.

ExTribble.7108

Maybe you got caught alone with a staff equipped. You can switch to earth, immobilize, then put up a wall to give you time to escape, then go lighting and use swiftness while dropping a static field, then go water if you took any damage and drop an ice field to slow your attacker down (you still have your slot skills to use also). If you get away then you can switch to daggers or whatevs and bring the pain.

If you can get so far as to get out of combat using snares, you’ll have plenty of time to open up your inventory and swap weapons the traditional way as it only takes 2-3 seconds. It’ll take longer than that for someone to close a gap big enough to put you ooc.

Then again, if someone is bad enough that they eat the immobilize, wall, static field, and walk through the frost field to stack chill on themselves, you probably didn’t have to swap to D/D to wreck such a terrible player.

Edited to add: No reason this should be limited to eles/engis btw. All classes can get this to avoid the apparent feeling of OP-ness of this. Everyone can use it to fit another set for an alternate trait set or an alternate play style.

(edited by ExTribble.7108)

Posted by: Archdruidess.5143

Archdruidess.5143

Absolutely yes to this. Except to take it a step further to make it fair to all classes (which I see other people have mentioned,) I personally miss the concept of weapon sets from Guild Wars 1.

Suggestion:

Weapon sets on the equipment screen, all classes able to switch between them out of combat, the other classes already able can still switch during combat – maybe start with two sets for all to keep things like it is for now and allow more sets to be unlocked/purchased for gems.

(edited by Archdruidess.5143)

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t know. I mean imo, it is already pretty balanced by the fact that you already have such a wide variety of skills to switch between while in combat.

With all the different attunements you have, you can easily switch between healing, dps, defense, and speed.

I personally think that it is a fair tradeoff. You can’t switch weapons out of combat as fast because of how you can switch attunements while in combat.

And it is not like you just can’t switch at all, it is that you cannot do it as fast as a single click. I think it is fair as it is because of what elementalists and engineers are capable of while in combat.

I hope that made sense.

You misunderstand something about combat here. You can’t just move away and switch weapons, you have to drop combat. If whatever you were fighting is still chasing or attacking you, the game considers you in combat and will not allow you to switch. You can not open your inventory and switch weapons, the game does not allow this. Even if all the mob/person is doing is chasing after you after a fight, even if it is not actually actively attacking you, the game considers you to be in combat until it turns around and runs off.

Since that part of your argument is incorrect, it means your conclusion is incorrect.

We are talking about out of combat. The ele is not attacking anything. Nothing is attacking the ele. Nothing is chasing the ele after a round of attacks, trying to get in range in order to attack some more.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

The only way I think Eles should get OOC swapping is it the can’t do it in PvP or WvW. Reasoning is because I can see Eles breaking combat just quick swap when they’re caught with their pants down.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: feydriva.8047

feydriva.8047

Astral Projections.7320

The only way I think Eles should get OOC swapping is it the can’t do it in PvP or WvW. Reasoning is because I can see Eles breaking combat just quick swap when they’re caught with their pants down.

You can’t easily break combat. It takes a fair amount of time

You can actually check this out yourself. Go somewhere and attack something, you can try this with any profession, it doesn’t matter. Have your inventory open. The only time you can switch weapons from in inventory is when the game decides you are out of combat. So, try switching weapons from inventory at various times during a fight or when running away from a fight. It actually takes some time before you can do this. You can’t just back away and switch.

Apparently a lot of people think that you can switch out after only a couple of seconds of not attacking. You can’t.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Been wishing for this since the release!!!

videoboy.4162

I don’t understand why people keep saying “only if the other classes get it too.” The other classes already have it…

Dusty Moon.4382

I don’t understand why people keep saying “only if the other classes get it too.” The other classes already have it…

But Elementalist have 4 ATTUNEMENTS (FIRE, EARTH, WATER AND, AIR) to use with one set weapon/set – the others do not. So in essence you have 4 different types of attacks with one weapon/set. Ele’s already have 2 more sets of than the other professions.

videoboy.4162

But Elementalist have 4 ATTUNEMENTS (FIRE, EARTH, WATER AND, AIR) to use with one set weapon/set – the others do not. So in essence you have 4 different types of attacks with one weapon/set. Ele’s already have 2 more sets of than the other professions.

And, once again, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with out of combat.

Astral Projections.7320

You are not understanding what is being discussed. You are talking about in combat. We are talking about out of combat.

It appears that you don’t know what is needed to get out of combat. Will you please try this to see what is needed to get out of combat?

Take any profession and go out into a map. Open up inventory and have a weapon in your inventory ready to switch to. Attack something, it doesn’t matter what. From your inventory, try to switch to that weapon. Stop attacking and try. Move away from the mob and try. Keep trying until you can switch from inventory.

You will find out that you can not switch weapons from inventory anytime while the mob is alive and attempting to reach you. During this time you are in combat. We are not talking about switching weapons for ele’s during this time.

If you take the time to try this you will find getting out of combat is not nearly as easy as you think it is.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Save your keystrokes, Astral. Dusty argues against this in every thread asking for it and dodges the important questions every single time.

As an ele since headstart, I can definitely +1 this. It’d be a wonderful QoL improvement.

But on the other hand, if the lack of this is actually intentional on the dev’s part, could we please get an explanation from one of them as to why? I’m curious to know.

Astral Projections.7320

From reading this thread it appears that there are people who are confused about how many weapon skills an ele will have with out of combat weapon switching

The current number of skills an ele has during a fight is twenty.

With out of combat weapon swapping, the total number of skills the ele will have during a fight is twenty. TOTAL. Not twenty at the start of the fight and another twenty at some point during the fight. Twenty, total. The same identical skills at the start, the middle and the end of the fight.

Out of combat weapon swapping is a quality of life issue for the game. It has no effect at all upon combat.

Astral Projections.7320

Save your keystrokes, Astral. Dusty argues against this in every thread asking for it and dodges the important questions every single time.

As an ele since headstart, I can definitely +1 this. It’d be a wonderful QoL improvement.

But on the other hand, if the lack of this is actually intentional on the dev’s part, could we please get an explanation from one of them as to why? I’m curious to know.

Yah, I was distinctly getting the impression he is arguing simply to argue. However the points he is not understanding, or claiming to not understand, are points that people are actually confused about.

From reading the thread I feel that there are 2 things that people arguing against this don’t understand. Large numbers of people it appears do not understand the concept of out of combat and what it takes to get out of combat. They think you can back off for a few seconds and break combat. This is because they have never tried to switch weapons from inventory. When people argue this point, they need to be educated about what out of combat means.

The second thing is related to the first. They think this will give the ele an extra weapon set and an extra 20 skills in the middle of combat. Again, they need to be educated about what out of combat weapon swapping means.

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

Totally agree; bring back what we had in GW1, and give us all OOC weapon combo slots. It doesn’t confer any additional advantage to anyone, it keeps us from having to search through our inventory when we want to completely change our combat setup. This is especially important when you’re switching between two single-handed weapons to a two-handed weapon. You end up having to search through your inventory for where those kitten weapons went when you want to go back. Combine that with Trait Build Templates, and we’ll be golden.

Imagine: two or three hotkeys, and you can go instantly from your PvE setup to your Dungeon setup, to your WvWvW setup. I’m still stunned this wasn’t in the game from the get-go.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

The only thing you’re failing to see is that skills can be used OOC. Speed and other boons can be applied while OOC. You can then switch to your “combat set” while those boons are active and you have no cooldowns on your current weapon set. The entire skill set (which remember an ele has twice as many as any other class except engineer) is “balanced” for whether you’re in combat or not. This is especially true of movement skills and other boon related skills.

It would be nice to develop a way to keep your “preferred” weapons out of your inventory to stop from selling them but as for a weapon swap, I’d be against that.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The only thing you’re failing to see is that skills can be used OOC. Speed and other boons can be applied while OOC. You can then switch to your “combat set” while those boons are active and you have no cooldowns on your current weapon set. The entire skill set (which remember an ele has twice as many as any other class except engineer) is “balanced” for whether you’re in combat or not. This is especially true of movement skills and other boon related skills.

It would be nice to develop a way to keep your “preferred” weapons out of your inventory to stop from selling them but as for a weapon swap, I’d be against that.

How many boons are attached to the weapon related skills that are unique to one weapon set? Let’s see

Staff
Fire – None
Water – regen
Air – Swiftness
Earth – None

Scepter
Fire – Vigor
Water – None
Air – None
Earth – None

Dagger – main hand
Fire – None
Water – None
Air – None
Earth – None

Dagger off hand
Fire – None
Water – None
Air – Swiftness
Earth – None

Focus
Fire – Might (only if hit)
Water – None
Air – None
Earth – None

That leaves regen for staff. But if you need regen before you even start a battle, I doubt ooc weapon swaps are going to help you.

Swiftness is only missing if you’re on dagger/focus.

Vigor is only on sceptor. Vigor is endurance regen. And it’s only for 5 seconds. And not sure if granted if there is no enemy for the phoenix to hit.

Might is only on focus, but it’s only if you’re hit.

So, where are all these boons that would make out of combat weapon swapping so over powered?

(edited by Seera.5916)

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

I would disagree with that. If I manage my inventory and make sure I know where my weapons are going when I switch out my active weapons, then keep the inventory panel sized and arranged so I can quickly double-click the weapons back into my hands, I can do exactly the same thing as if I had an easy GW1-type swap set defined. Therefore, the situation you are describing is already available. It’s just a pain in the kitten to do it, so most people won’t. I’ll bet dollars to donuts that the top players are already doing that when not in combat. Why not just level the playing field a little bit more, so you don’t have to rifle through your inventory to grab a weapon and put it on your paperdoll?

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

ExTribble.7108

This is a funny post, because I already do this. I usually run staff, and will routinely equip an offhand dagger for lightning 4+5. Nothing stopping me from doing that. Are you suggesting that weapon swapping out of combat should be limited/nerfed? Because your post suggests that it’s somehow imbalanced for me to be doing this. That’s absolutely ridiculous imo.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Besides that you simply not get the point of what OUT OF COMBAT means, i also doubt you ever have played an elementalist.

Or have you ever tried to kill one mob on fire, the next on lightning, the third with earth and the 4th with water, and felt that you are sooo much quicker with that than say a warrior with an axe ?

Reality is you kill fast with fire, maybe decent with lightning, and everything else is something that you maybe just use while waiting for you cooldowns, and not while it is another weaponset. Oh .. and autoattack with Scepter on fire is sooo great .. that you are maybe forced to switch to something else and then you are locked to other crappy damage spells untill you can finally go back to fire ..

Still .. this isn’t even the point.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Simple suggestion.

Ask for weapn templates for ALL classes that can be binded to key presses. (those keys chosen by players when creating the template. )

There, now everyone has ooc weapons swap for every weapon they want.
Everybody’s happy.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Simple suggestion.

Ask for weapn templates for ALL classes that can be binded to key presses. (those keys chosen by players when creating the template. )

Everybody’s happy.

^ This.

It’s common for people to swap out weapons out of combat for certain buffs (most often swiftness) or leap skills for movement; giving us weapon set templates or whatever would just be a QoL improvement, rather than us having to search our bags every time we want to switch weapons.

I often swap in warhorn on my necro for the swiftness when I’m out of combat in WvW – does that make OOC weapon swapping OP for necros? No. It’s not OP for other classes to swap weapons out of combat; it isn’t OP for eles to do it either. We already can do this – the suggestions made in this thread would just make it less of a hassle.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

Posted by: Radakill.3469

Radakill.3469

Simple suggestion.

Everybody’s happy.

^ This.

It’s common for people to swap out weapons out of combat for certain buffs (most often swiftness) or leap skills for movement; giving us weapon set templates or whatever would just be a QoL improvement, rather than us having to search our bags every time we want to switch weapons.

I often swap in warhorn on my necro for the swiftness when I’m out of combat in WvW – does that make OOC weapon swapping OP for necros? No. It’s not OP for other classes to swap weapons out of combat; it isn’t OP for eles to do it either. We already can do this – the suggestions made in this thread would just make it less of a hassle.

Swapping ranged for melee/close combat situations could also be a viable reason for this.