Super Adventure Box [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Where is our SAB?

You made it, you sold access for cash, open the kitten thing already. What is all this crap “assign a dev for it”? IT’S ALREADY MADE.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Hello, I tought I’s voice my own toughts about SAB, may end up a bit lengthy but oh well.

So to start off, I understand why Anet wouldn’t put in SAB right now. Living Story Season 2 is turning out to be a success, lots of people playing it, while SAB release 2.0 got mixed reactions. If you were a game company, would you go for continuing a success story, or take a risk and maybe fail?

You have to spend resouces on developing content, currently it seems like a better choice to allocate those resources to LS and other projects.

Also remember, that a lot of people do not like the jumping aspect of the game, and won’t even go near SAB. Meaning they won’t be playing the game, meaning they could get bored and leave.

Now with that in mind, here is where the thinking goes wrong.

When SAB released in 2013 April, it was an April’s fool’s joke, and unexpected bonus content. Was a fresh take, a fun bonus world, a mini-game. And that’s what it should have stayed. Sadly a decision was made based on SAB’s first release, to release the second installment as a fully fledged LS episode. And that was a bad choice.

People who can’t (or just refuse to) jump were left out, even people who liked it found it difficult and didn’t play it that much (I miss the NES days). The metrics and statistics showed low amounts of people playing it, even less enjoying it. Thus the release was considered as a failure.

But please note, that the failure was because it was considered as a stand-alone release. What if it would be considered like a mini-game (as Belcher’s bluff, Sanctum sprint, etc.) only much larger?

Just put it in the game and update it whenever. It could be updated during other releases like Dragon Bash or Wintersday. Those holidays don’t provide too much new thing eitherway, and SAB would remain a bonus content, as was in the beginning.

Do not think of SAB of as it’s own think, think of SAB as an additional mini-game, that people can enjoy if they are that type of player (likes jumping) or just wants to have break from the main game. No wonder SAB 2.0 didn’t do well on the metrics, cause measuring metrics for a mini-game is just stupid.

SAB will never appeal everyone. Heck, most likely SAB will appeal like 20-30% of the playerbase. But those 20-30% love it. So please consider it as an appendix of the game, no as a game itself

Well, thanks to everyone who read that. And thanks Josh’s (and team) if you are reading this too, love your work.

tl;dr Don’t release SAB on it’s own. Release it with something else, as a bonus, for it should be a mini-game.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

All World 2 needed was a couple of save points and it was all good.

Not great losing over an hours worth of progress (if you have teammates struggling) because someone can’t finish the run or some guys run out of credit coins.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

i know one dev made the original why cant it be his project to do update that get released in feature packs.

I would like to point out that this is not true. SAB was not a one man show. Josh is an excellent environment artist and he obviously has a knack for designing things too. But his skillset is limited. SAB was made by a small team Josh at its helm, but to say he could maintain it alone is probably an overstatement. No matter how much passion or enthusiasm he has for it.

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

I was gone for a year, so tbh I don’t know what SAB is.

I’d love to find out, though.

And come on, having an extra feature there can’t possibly hurt, right? It doesn’t always have to fit into the “living world”.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

It’s a shame they gave up on SAB. They’ve neglected it for too long and there’s no coming back now.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

why not? something preventing them from coming back to it in the future?

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Yes, It doesnt fit in the story of game of thrones when Gotham city is the only source of mako energy in tyria.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

It’s a shame they gave up on SAB. They’ve neglected it for too long and there’s no coming back now.

They NEVER said it wasn’t coming back just not in the near term. Give it up will ya.

SAB was TEMPORARY CONTENT, not permanent. They said that from the beginning. It is not A.Net’s fault y’all can’t read.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

They neglected it because the number of people playing it in SAB2 fell off a proverbial cliff comparatively.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I’m sure the numbers in the riot turn out was also “dismal”, so yeah…I think it’ll be long time before they consider putting resources into this again (like 1+ year), and that’s if they consider it again.
A shame for those with the continue coin.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Well we got a red thread about communication, and a very short red post in the traits thread. Are we going to get any official word on this? Do we request infinite coin refunds or not?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I’m sure the numbers in the riot turn out was also “dismal”, so yeah…I think it’ll be long time before they consider putting resources into this again (like 1+ year), and that’s if they consider it again.

Not dismal, just on this forum is all. Ask in game, as I have, most people don’t care one way or the other. Again, the vocal minority….

BlueZone.4236

Not dismal, just on this forum is all. Ask in game, as I have, most people don’t care one way or the other. Again, the vocal minority….

I was quoting ‘dismal’, as in the same as what Josh said in his blog about the stats, not sarcasm.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I dont’ personally like SAB, but I think there is enough dedicated follower. It should get some attention.

Dangit people. It’s like none of you have followed this. They haven’t brought it back yet BECAUSE there wasn’t enough people playing it last time around.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Crise.9401

Dangit people. It’s like none of you have followed this. They haven’t brought it back yet BECAUSE there wasn’t enough people playing it last time around.

True, however, that is not a cause so much as it is an end point. But to think of it as constant would be incorrect. People weren’t playing it for reasons which does not mean that the people who enjoyed or played it the first time around have automatically ceased to be interested in it indefinitely.

I can understand the reason why it is not being brought back, a user here earlier pointed it out pretty nicely (hard to miss because of their overuse of bolding for emphasis) for those who might not.

Why are quite a few people riled up about it now, because ANet screwed up. It is that plain and simple. If you have nothing to say on a subject then you better not say anything at all. Or better yet avoid it being brought up altogether, which was entirely in their power to do so. This wasn’t an open Q and A in a panel but more or less a formal interview they agreed on.

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Comparatively no one plays Aetherpath either. It’s not disabled. It’s existence doesn’t hurt the people who want to do other stuff. Leaving it out this long just screws everyone who paid for permanent access and love the kitten thing like a best friend :P

Crise.9401

Comparatively no one plays Aetherpath either. It’s not disabled. It’s existence doesn’t hurt the people who want to do other stuff. Leaving it out this long just screws everyone who paid for permanent access and love the kitten thing like a best friend :P

That is actually really good analogy in more ways than one. Substitute dungeon tokens for bauble bubbles and the equivalency becomes even more clear.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Hello, I tought I’s voice my own toughts about SAB, may end up a bit lengthy but oh well.

So to start off, I understand why Anet wouldn’t put in SAB right now. Living Story Season 2 is turning out to be a success, lots of people playing it, while SAB release 2.0 got mixed reactions. If you were a game company, would you go for continuing a success story, or take a risk and maybe fail?

Looks like LS2 and SAB world 2 got the same response to me “Too much jumping, way too hard!” The reason LS2 has better metrics is simple: no new gear treadmill and it has better rewards. Also LS1 had so many complaints it wasn’t funny, yet they went on to LS2? I think it’s safe to say the forums don’t speak for everyone. On top of that, they could just release what already exists rather than withholding an entire game from the community.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Like I said before “It doesnt fit with the narrative” is a poor excuse. That was the whole selling point of SAB: that it doesn’t fit with the narrative. It feels fresh and different, that’s why people loved it.

The monkey ninja area was really fun and challenging.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

What we really need is an official reply regarding the future of the SAB, silence is not going to ease peoples fears or win Arena Net any more fans. It is no wonder that the current hot topic on the forums is the lack of communication from Arena Net.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I’m confused now. So SAB was not added because it doesn’t fit within the current living story narrative. However, WvW tournament does? Huh?

WvW Tournament doesn’t take place in the “real world”. From a Lore point of view it is exactly the same as every other WvW match-up.

SAB on the other hand is a specific thing added into the “real world” and as such it would effect the real life of the population of Tyria. It also does have a story behind it (learning people stuff, give people something to do while recovering from Molten Alliance and so on).
Right now on the other hand, Tyria is under a rather intense attack which can apparently strike more or less anywhere (and it is especially active in the area close to Rata Sum) which would make running such a thing rather silly.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

That’s a bit of a stretch.

Crise.9401

I’m confused now. So SAB was not added because it doesn’t fit within the current living story narrative. However, WvW tournament does? Huh?

WvW Tournament doesn’t take place in the “real world”. From a Lore point of view it is exactly the same as every other WvW match-up.

That is actually irrelevant, because the impact on playerbase is the same either way.

In other words arranging the WvW tournament now whatever the lore of the Mists may be will still mean the players will have to switch gears from a continuous story plot to something that has absolutely nothing to do with said story.

Which means the argument that SAB could not be available the same time as the living story is ridiculous. Especially considering we are on a mid season break right now.

SAB may exist as part of the “real” world as you say. But so does the Mist War if that is the argument you want to use. Or do those criers in Rata Sum f.ex. suddenly not exist anymore when it happens to be convenient for the sake of your argument.

Also, even at the times of crisis the world we live in does not grind to halt either… people still live their lives as best they can. You could even say that during the time of crisis some normalcy among all the chaos is all the more important especially for the younger generation who still don’t posses the ability to process the events the same way as adults do and that is exactly who the SAB is for in the lore.

Personally, even though I like the side story they introduced for SAB, that is not the key component in SAB in any way. It is nice plus for those that enjoy finding it, but it was never front and center when it came to SAB as a piece of content.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Maybe no one cares…..but if you DO care, come to Rata Sum, and let’s protest!

Protesting isn’t going to do any thing.

Stop playing the game will. Maybe Anet will care. Maybe not. Either way. The direction they’ve been going has warranted no extra views at their cash shop from me.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i know one dev made the original why cant it be his project to do update that get released in feature packs.

I would like to point out that this is not true. SAB was not a one man show. Josh is an excellent environment artist and he obviously has a knack for designing things too. But his skillset is limited. SAB was made by a small team Josh at its helm, but to say he could maintain it alone is probably an overstatement. No matter how much passion or enthusiasm he has for it.

ok then a couple of people(im sure they could spare a few) but the rest of my post has merit and from what i read it was done in his/their spare time. someone or two working full time on it with a bit of help here and there would have no problem. my point why does it have to be worked into the ls why cant it be part of feature packs. truthfully i hated sab(not a jumping person) but im posting this for those who loved it and a decent amount of people did love it so i dont see a reason for it to go wayside. if i had time to mess around with it more on the breaks from ls i might like it better. but seeing all the people in rata sum protesting i thought maybe they should give it a little love

Posted by: Wolfie.9650

Wolfie.9650

I’m a new player and a commander who was showing me and my friend how to really get the most out of the game battle system told us and show us a youtube video for SAB. It seems like a great game to play and I’d try it out if it came back.

Posted by: Liraela.3601

Liraela.3601

Any smth new about SAB?

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Pretty irritating that Anet silences community demand for the SAB by merging the many threads on the topic all into one thread, which they can then safely ignore.

Come on, Anet, if you have so many threads on this topic that you have to close a bunch and merge into one topic, doesn’t that merit at least one red post somewhere in the thread, addressing the issue?

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

(edited by Piogre.2164)

Posted by: crouze.3078

crouze.3078

Just have to raise my voice for the SAB as well. Give it back please

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

The amount of time Moto has been working on world three, it better blow our socks off!

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Liraela.3601

Liraela.3601

Maybe we must start make new topics (not posts) and do it till Anet answer us ?

Crise.9401

Maybe we must start make new topics (not posts) and do it till Anet answer us ?

That isn’t going to get us anywhere, they will either be closed or merged to this topic. At most you will get an infraction out of engaging in that kind of thing (repeatedly).

Edit: if people want to attract attention, outside of this topic, to SAB it is arguably best done through venues other than these forums because the rules here make things pretty straightforward and there is no point in being penalized for voicing your opinions.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Crise.9401

The amount of time Moto has been working on world three, it better blow our socks off!

That is another problem they have to contend with… the longer they keep SAB away the higher the expectation when/if it does come back will be. Because they never talk about stuff in advance anymore people do not know, nor should they care, how long an update for SAB has actually been worked on and all most will think about is that it has been away for so long.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Of course they are going to censor it, it would be bad marketing for their gem store escapades if players were made aware that they sold an item that that had infinite uses in one area that was made available for a small time frame only to find out that area isn’t coming back any time soon.

Those people must be absolutely thrilled to have a 600 gem space waster.

Sure posting on another avenue will lower your cahnce of geting infracted and having your post deleted or thread merged to be more conviently ignored, but at the same time its more worthless if a dev doesnt go there ( heck they barely visit these forums)

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

I only started playing like 4 months ago so I never had the chance to play SAB. I heard many wonderful things about it and it looked interesting from what I saw in the trailer.

Hopefully some day I will have the chance to play it. Makes no sense to spend resources creating these events like SAB, Halloween and Dragon bash and never put them back in the game again for old and new players to enjoy.

(edited by Davey.7029)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Makes no sense to spend resources creating these events like SAB, Halloween and Dragon bash and never put them in the game again for old and new players to enjoy.

We’ve been trying to tell them that for 2 years. Temporary content is not availble to new players who have missed it and therefore they feel they are getting less.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Pretty irritating that Anet silences community demand for the SAB by merging the many threads on the topic all into one thread, which they can then safely ignore.

Come on, Anet, if you have so many threads on this topic that you have to close a bunch and merge into one topic, doesn’t that merit at least one red post somewhere in the thread, addressing the issue?

I wonder if the volatility has something to do with it. Maybe the volatility in this thread isn’t at a low enough level to address, but then I just finished reading about Whiteside and Colin posting a statement that covered all contents.

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

Has somebody tried to get a refund for the coin?

Crise.9401

Has somebody tried to get a refund for the coin?

Several people have submitted tickets according to posts on reddit and elsewhere. But as far as I can recall none of those people posted again about whether they actually got a refund.

So far the CS reaction regarding SAB has been that nothing in that “unofficial” interview by GuildMag should be considered as an announcement of any kind. One person had his refund ticket escalated for future handling but beyond that I can’t really say if people are getting refunds.

If I had to guess, however, you are likely to not get a refund easily if their official stance is that there has been no announcement one way or another regarding the future of SAB unless you can make a compelling case for it that extends beyond… because it has not been accessible for a while. They are likely reluctant to give refunds for this item because, at this point, it would only serve to fan the flames and be seen as another indirect confirmation that SAB is not coming back.

BlueZone.4236

Asked for refund it back to gems. Answer is gems down the drain.

Thank you for your patience.

Purchases from the Gem Store are seldom refundable, and in this case we are not able to provide a refund of your purchase. Please keep in mind that we do not have official information about the Super Adventure Box.

I am sorry that we could not fulfill you request in this situation, but please let us know if you have any other questions we can address.

Thankfully, I only converted gold to gems for this. Kinda wished I joined the Blix farm before they fixed it.
Bah, new games can’t come out soon enough.

Posted by: rhael.6317

rhael.6317

The sit-in lives on in Rata Sum – I saw poor Moto tearing up the other day from the amazing outpouring of community support.

’tis truly a wondrous time to love Super Adventure Box and show it.

Leafy Lemon of Unrepentant [Uey]
Stormbluff Isle Megaserver, PvX, US
www.unrepentantgaming.com

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

I wonder if the volatility has something to do with it. Maybe the volatility in this thread isn’t at a low enough level to address, but then I just finished reading about Whiteside and Colin posting a statement that covered all contents.

Those are bull crap answers, EVERYTHING will always be future plans, even if its 10years from now its still something they “Wont” talk about.

If I told my business that I would have went under a long time ago.

There truly is no good reason to keep it open 24/7/365, I bet its a jealous CEO that doesn’t like it and wont allow it. (I only say this b.c Ive seen it happen many times, I wouldn’t have believed it, but it happened to me a few times.)

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

sooo
storywise the pact lost a lot of his fighters and needs help..
the ones who can fight instead of fighting mordremoth go to wvw and fight against each other….
okay
fits perfectly into the lore..^^

whilst training combat in an virtual game.. within a game..>__<
training!!
would be bad?

well anet knows what they doing lorewise.. i suppose…

Posted by: Fowidner.6930

Fowidner.6930

Noo! how can we live that long without SAB? :’( Already having a hard time, already waiting so long. Give me SAB back

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

At this point, I just hope that they bring back the SAB finisher, minis, and other gear for the anniversary sale.

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

Best idea so far is to implement a permanent SAB ticket sold in the mall. You still can open it for free from time to time. But most of the players don’t care about the SAB while some think that it’s the best minigame in GW2. Therefore everyone would be happy

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Best idea so far is to implement a permanent SAB ticket sold in the mall. You still can open it for free from time to time. But most of the players don’t care about the SAB while some think that it’s the best minigame in GW2. Therefore everyone would be happy

ticket = continue coin
should be common drop from jumping puzzles permanently, and infinite continue coin be available in gemstore for ever :P

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I’ve got SAB withdrawl, to the point where all my charaters have grabbed their SAB backpacks (only have blue and green unfortunately, I sucked to much at jumping back in September to finish the world 2 meta achievement) and their SAB title to remind me constantly that they are still waiting to go jumping again. Dry Top jumping is all nice and entertaining, but it doesn’t even come close to the joy of bashing a pixelated toad with a stick .

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I think it’s pretty clear everyone wants a new Supah-Advenchurr Funbawks

Now, I think we all know you guys at Arena work tirelessly, but pls, we can haz Supah-Advenchurr Funbawks ? pretty pl0x ? I think it’s a lot of people’s favorite content.

Here’s why It’s my favorite content in all of Guild Wars 2 contents: chip tunes. There’s nothing like the retro 8bit music. It reminds me of the old joystick with the two red buttons.

Muh childhood feels guiz, pls. Pls new SAB.

I’ll even buy the Supah Advenchurr Funbawks finisher for 800 gems. Pls guize, pls.

We wants it.
We needs it.
We cherishes it.

SAB 4 life \^o^/

OR GIVE TO US FOR CHRISTMAS ! WE CAN CALL IT SABSTERDAY !

Attachments:

Are you Shpongled?