Super Adventure Box [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

It seems the devs just meant for SAB to be a one-time event

The infinite continue coin says otherwise. (And it sure was nice of the devs to walk away with all that money and then never deliver the ability to use the coin again)
The fact that the box is STILL in Rata Sum says otherwise.
The houses within the hub that indicate four worlds says otherwise.

The only thing keeping even the first two worlds out of GW2 at this point is ANet’s unbelievable disconnect from its playerbase and the stupidity that comes with it.

Posted by: Dworewyre.2018

Dworewyre.2018

In my opinion the SAB is a game inside a game, and i love it! Wich MMORPG thought to that..?
Stop to be negative with this event … I don’t love classical dungeons but i never was against new others because some players take fun with it. For all contents some people will like, and some people will hate that. And that’s totally understandable.

But please … Just bring us the Super Adventure Box and its 3 worlds… Just it, we don’t need more to have A LOT of fun… thousands of people want it.

Can a community manager tell us any news about SAB please?

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

all aboard the hype train CHOO CHOO

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

There’s no new information on SAB at this time as far as a return date. You know it will come back at some point in the future, but there is no date to announce right now.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Dude, that video is 2 year-old…

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Did you think you could slide by false information right underneath Gaile’s watchful eye just because it is 5:30 am Pacific time…
Don’t you know Gaile never sleeps?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

There’s no new information on SAB at this time as far as a return date. You know it will come back at some point in the future, but there is no date to announce right now.

Is there any chance we can get a date on when infinite continue coins will start being refunded? It’s been a year and a half since people paid cash for a service they haven’t been provided.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I was hoping for good news today…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I was hoping for good news today…

Nope. Just bad news today. And every day. For the past year and a half.

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

The thing is, why dont you just enable W1 and W2 for the meantime, until a huge patch comes(or expansion) because we wont see any living world update until then.

We all would be very satisfied with playing SAB

Edit: By the way, its the 3rd SAB anniversary date this year in 20days, and still we wont be seeing it? That will dissapoint all SABlovers ;(

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

(edited by Vissarion.6509)

Gene Archer.8560

So then start refunding the infinite continue coin.

“It’ll be back in the unknown future” is not an acceptable reason to hold onto people’s money. If you can’t give an actual date, and you refuse to re-enable the first two worlds, then you need to start refunding the infinite continue coin.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Have anyone actually tried to get a refund on the coin?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I don’t get it, did you people not use the coin? If so, how are you justifying getting a return on a used product?

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

So what about our infinite continue coins? It has been over a year it wasted a slot in my bank for nothing.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Gene Archer.8560

Have anyone actually tried to get a refund on the coin?

Quite a few people have, and the info that comes back after they try has been that they get refused because THE FUTUUUUUUUUUUUUURE

lordkrall.7241

Would love to see some copy pastes of those replies actually.

It sounds a bit weird. It would be much more logical to refuse on the grounds of the item being used or being bought a long time ago after all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

CrashTestAuto.9108

I don’t get it, did you people not use the coin? If so, how are you justifying getting a return on a used product?

If you go into an all you can eat restaurant, and they give you a wafer, then you would be justified in asking for a refund if the staff went out for a few hours instead of cooking any more food. While the term “infinite” was obviously to be understood in the context of “when its open”, there was also a reasonable expectation that SAB would actually be open at some time within six months to a year of purchase.

Nothing explicit was said, no explicit dates were given, but just as it is reasonable to expect food in a restaurant to come within an hour or so of ordering, it is reasonable to expect use from a product within a year or so of purchasing. At the very least an explanation and apology for the delay is expected. If after two hours of waiting in a restaurant the waiter refused to make eye contact or speak to you even though you had already paid, you’d be rightly angry. This is that, but after seventeen months.

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

If you go into an all you can eat restaurant, and they give you a wafer, then you would be justified in asking for a refund if the staff went out for a few hours instead of cooking any more food. While the term “infinite” was obviously to be understood in the context of “when its open”, there was also a reasonable expectation that SAB would actually be open at some time within six months to a year of purchase.

Nothing explicit was said, no explicit dates were given, but just as it is reasonable to expect food in a restaurant to come within an hour or so of ordering, it is reasonable to expect use from a product within a year or so of purchasing. At the very least an explanation and apology for the delay is expected. If after two hours of waiting in a restaurant the waiter refused to make eye contact or speak to you even though you had already paid, you’d be rightly angry. This is that, but after seventeen months.

The two don’t compare actually. You go into said restaurants with clear information on what you will be receiving. With SAB, the expectations it would be coming back at any certain time was based entirely on assumptions. I know they’ve already released statements saying that SAB is indeed coming back, just no set date yet. If everyone is seeking an apology that is one thing, but demanding a refund for a product they were able to use while SAB was present and will be able to use again when it returns just doesn’t make sense.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Gene Archer.8560

The infinite continue coin was clearly meant to be used beyond it’s initial purchase during SAB: Back to School, and SAB itself was clearly meant to be a reoccurring activity, much like Queen’s Gauntlet or the holiday events.

Among other things, notable proof would be the SAB hub world itself, as well as the “travel map” between SAB zones, detailing four worlds.

At this point, it’s pretty obvious SAB isn’t going to be reinstated for a second year.

It sounds a bit weird. It would be much more logical to refuse on the grounds of the item being used or being bought a long time ago after all.

It wouldn’t, actually. Town clothes were bought long ago but ANet still offered refunds when their functionality was shifted and they were turned into tonics.

Considering the continue coin’s functionality has been shifted to be completely unusable for going on two years, and the best that can be gotten is “SAB will be back sometime in the future…when we feel like it” ?

Yeah, it’s time for a refund if all they intend to do is string people along with more of their “some time in the unknown future” garbage.

but demanding a refund for a product they were able to use while SAB was present and will be able to use again when it returns just doesn’t make sense.

But see, it actually has to return to be reusable, and considering it’s kitten near two years, now? I don’t care how many times they say “It’s coming back sometime in the future”, there is zero reason to believe them.

At some point, “the future” has to become “the present”, and two years is enough kitten time to have waited.

There is of course, the other logical course. Just re-instate worlds 1 and 2, so the coin is at least currently usable. The coding is all there. There’s no way they up and deleted the coding for the first two worlds. That would be madness.

But for some inane reason, ANet refuses to do anything that isn’t “Make sure SAB doesn’t exist, period”

(edited by Gene Archer.8560)

CrashTestAuto.9108

The two don’t compare actually. You go into said restaurants with clear information on what you will be receiving. With SAB, the expectations it would be coming back at any certain time was based entirely on assumptions. I know they’ve already released statements saying that SAB is indeed coming back, just no set date yet. If everyone is seeking an apology that is one thing, but demanding a refund for a product they were able to use while SAB was present and will be able to use again when it returns just doesn’t make sense.

Well not really. You don’t see signs in restaurants (usually) saying that “The starter will be served after twenty minutes, the main course will be served after forty minutes, the dessert will be served after one hour.” There is a reasonable expectation of the time required to wait for each course, and in the event that a significant amount of time longer expires you are justified in complaining. In the situation that you have paid in advance, you are justified in asking for a refund.

Heck, I was once in a coffee shop where I was in a rush, and because the food took longer than twenty minutes, I asked for it to take away (I didn’t complain, or ask for a refund). The manager was so apologetic for my wait that they discounted my bill and gave me free extra food. There is an accepted policy of “reasonable wait” and “unreasonable wait”, they don’t give explicit times and dates, but they still acknowledge when they’ve provided service that is below an acceptable standard.

A year and a half is not an acceptable standard of service on a product people paid money for in this case (in my subjective opinion, but I don’t consider it an unreasonable one). That ANet haven’t provided an explanation, refund or even apology for this does not seem to me okay.

If they choose to remove beloved content that is already programmed, and ignore their customers on the issue, that’s up to them (albeit, silly). But taking money for access to SAB, then not giving access to SAB for well over a year is a different matter.

Posted by: smilango.5960

smilango.5960

There is also an expectation in purchasing the Infinite Coin (and other SAB Gem Store products) that profits would be reinvested back into further development and not reallocated elsewhere, which is probably somewhat naive and definitely was not the case.

What’s made even worse is that we now know ANet were intending/developing HoT all along, so when SAB Back to School came out with the gem store addition of the Infinite Coin they would have had reasonable outlines for their developer workload, namely Josh being placed on different projects, and with the inception of the living world leading up to HoT that SAB development would be benched.

It feels like a shameless cash grab for a project they knew wasn’t going to be furthered for another 2 years…how can they both refuse refunds for the Coins and remain silent about the possibility of reopening Worlds 1/2?

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Can we go ahead and get a date? My brother said he’d come back to GW2 when SAB comes back… so, if we can get that to happen that’d be great.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla , we want details.
http://i.imgur.com/7HRT9l4.jpg

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Noob question: Why do people like / want SAB so much??

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Because it was incredibly fun and challenging and had a great reward system, both internally and in skins. There hasn’t been a single content release to match it since launch, with the possible exception of fractals.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Because it was incredibly fun and challenging and had a great reward system, both internally and in skins. There hasn’t been a single content release to match it since launch, with the possible exception of fractals.

I see, thanks. I want to try it.

CrashTestAuto.9108

Short answer, because it was awesome.

Longer answer, because it offered really unique gameplay, was fairly deep and had in my opinion the single best reward structure of any aspect of the game. It was also genuinely challenging content, with a fair amount of replay value (especially if they’d just committed to it and added timed leaderboards).

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I see, thanks. I want to try it.

And they sold an item in the gemstore for 600 gems which allowed people to have an infinite number of lives in SAB. That coin was useful for 3 weeks, at most. It’s been useless for 18 months.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well the first release this was true. Then it got nerfed with the second release, but that added tribulation which was fun in world 1 (never tried world 2, since it already took so long on normal mode).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Monkey Fritz.9052

Well the first release this was true. Then it got nerfed with the second release, but that added tribulation which was fun in world 1 (never tried world 2, since it already took so long on normal mode).

While true, and that unnecessary nerf did annoy me, it was still a better reward system than anything to come since, and Trib mode was one guaranteed skin upon completion. Even if one followed a video or a guide, it was still incredibly challenging, with a guaranteed reward at the end that could not be acquired any other way. (I think there was a 1 gold cost in there too.)

CrashTestAuto.9108

While true, and that unnecessary nerf did annoy me, it was still a better reward system than anything to come since, and Trib mode was one guaranteed skin upon completion. Even if one followed a video or a guide, it was still incredibly challenging, with a guaranteed reward at the end that could not be acquired any other way. (I think there was a 1 gold cost in there too.)

Yeah, I’m really worried they’ll ruin the reward system if it actually returns. It was basically perfect. Some skins (reasonably) RNG based and sellable. Some skins, which were identical apart from colour, for completing a difficult task and unsellable. Extra skins tied to achievements (the only criticism of which being that they don’t pop until you exit).

The best (and I think only) compromise between the groups that want reward for hard work and the groups that want to be able to buy the nice skins in the game.

Posted by: Mango.9325

Mango.9325

Since some people were asking, here’s the email they sent me after I requested a refund on the infinite continue coin in December after it being useless for 15 months:

Dec 25 20:13

Hello xxxxx,

Thanks for getting in touch to ask about your Super Adventure Box Infinite Continue Coin.

We understand you may have been concerned about the usefulness of the coin, but according to Colin Johanson, Guild Wars 2 Game Director, Super Adventure Box will be back in the future. We don’t have a timeframe for the return of the SAB, but we will be bringing back this popular content.

As a result of this plan, we are not issuing refunds for the SAB Infinite Continue Coins.

Regards,

GM Khal
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://support.guildwars2.com/

Guhracie.3419

…is this serious? On account of it being bought a long time ago? Holy kitten, I think my head just exploded.

YES. The fact that people have waited for a year and a half for the return of a festival that was initially run twice in a 5-month period and are now fed up with waiting for it, that seems like a way more legitimate reason to deny refunds.

You can’t be serious. You can’t. I refuse to believe that.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

…is this serious? On account of it being bought a long time ago? Holy kitten, I think my head just exploded.

YES. The fact that people have waited for a year and a half for the return of a festival that was initially run twice in a 5-month period and are now fed up with waiting for it, that seems like a way more legitimate reason to deny refunds.

warranties and grace periods expire…

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Guhracie.3419

There was never a grace period. This is a matter of having an item that relies on content that is being withheld for some reason and getting tired of waiting. The people who bought it? They’re the ones who had grace periods that ran out. Seriously?

-Mike O’Brien

lordkrall.7241

Yes, most things will only ever get refunded if refund was requested within a certain time actually.

Or do you seriously believe that you can demand a refund forever after you have bought something?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

insanemaniac.2456

There was never a grace period. This is a matter of having an item that relies on content that is being withheld for some reason and getting tired of waiting. The people who bought it? They’re the ones who had grace periods that ran out. Seriously?

“30 days to return your purchase” is fairly standard retail practice. this situation doesnt fit exactly because of the expected several month hiatuses, but the logic is sound enough that a comparison isnt as ridiculous as you would have me believe.

calm down o.O

Gene Archer.8560

Yes, most things will only ever get refunded if refund was requested within a certain time actually.

Or do you seriously believe that you can demand a refund forever after you have bought something?

Sure, most items have a limited warranty. And in the case of items that are supposed to be usable more than once, those warranties can be a year +, and those year + ones tend to just be the “limited warranty”, which doesn’t even get into “full warranty” and “extended warranty”

So, once again. Nearing two years. Either SAB needs to happen and soon, whether that’s just worlds 1 and 2, or also new world 3 as well, or, you know, ANet needs to start handing out those refunds.

They’ll be gem refunds anyway, but it sure beats the coin continuing to be absolutely worthless.

“30 days to return your purchase” is fairly standard retail practice. this situation doesnt fit exactly because of the expected several month hiatuses, but the logic is sound enough that a comparison isnt as ridiculous as you would have me believe.

calm down o.O

At what point is it okay to say that enough is enough, then?

They very clearly have no real intention of ever re-releasing SAB. The least they could do is let people have their gems back since the continue coin is clearly not serving its intended function.

Guhracie.3419

calm down o.O

There is no logic in this idea of a “grace period” because there is literally NO comparison. It is even more ridiculous than you even think I want you to believe.

April 1, 2013: SAB appears and is hugely popular.
September, 2013: SAB reappears for 3 weeks, during which time, an infinite continue coin is sold for 600 gems.
April 1, 2014: Bobbleheads. People are told to be patient.
August, 2014: An interviewee lets slip that SAB is not being actively worked on. People are angry. People are told to be patient. People request refunds. People are denied refunds.
March, 2015: Still no sign of the content. People are told by other customers that they have no right to expect a refund because it’s now been too long to have an expectation of a refund.

The idea that the grace period has expired is insane. It assumes that there WAS a grace period wherein refunds were granted at all, and that a company is justified in selling an item under the pretense that it will be reusable, and then providing no way to reuse it.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I will say this:

They sell boosts in the Gem Store.

They sell Boon Fire bonfires in the Gem Store.

Both of these things cost gems and yet after a certain time frame are gone/done with.

SAB 2.0 was available for over 3 weeks (Sept 3rd through 30th, well actually that’s relatively 4 weeks).
The use of the 600 Gem coin was available that entire time, 24/7 (well, at least when servers were up, if they were down for the 4-6hr weekly period, then it was more 24/6 +18) That would be more than 522 hours available for SAB. Being reasonable let’s subtract 8hrs per each day for sleep and an additional 8hrs (x5) per each week for work time. So that’s 522-224-160= 138 hours accessable to the SAB with the Infinite Coin and a full time job.

That is still a large time. Far larger than you would get out of Boosts for the same amount of Gems. And the skins you got out of it? Shall we put a market gold value on them or the generic 800gem price that most Gem Store skins are? Either way definitely got the value out of it there too.

There is no reasonable expectation for a refund on this item. You got more than it’s value out of it when available and it will release at some point in the extended future (and no, future doesn’t just simply mean weeks or months from now, but years can be included in that term). There should be no sense of entitlement here -which is what requesting/demanding a refund is doing-, because delivery and fulfillment have been met. Future use is bonus icing on the cake.

insanemaniac.2456

calm down o.O

There is no logic in this idea of a “grace period” because there is literally NO comparison. It is even more ridiculous than you even think I want you to believe.

April 1, 2013: SAB appears and is hugely popular.
September, 2013: SAB reappears for 3 weeks, during which time, an infinite continue coin is sold for 600 gems.
April 1, 2014: Bobbleheads. People are told to be patient.
August, 2014: An interviewee lets slip that SAB is not being actively worked on. People are angry. People are told to be patient. People request refunds. People are denied refunds.
March, 2015: Still no sign of the content. People are told by other customers that they have no right to expect a refund because it’s now been too long to have an expectation of a refund.

The idea that the grace period has expired is insane. It assumes that there WAS a grace period wherein refunds were granted at all, and that a company is justified in selling an item under the pretense that it will be reusable, and then providing no way to reuse it.

actually in this case im keen to believe the grace period expired the first time you used the coin. typically the use of a gem store item precludes refunds. you dont click on the bank tab consumable you just got in the mail, you can file a ticket and get a refund. you do, you cant.

you honestly dont need to paraphrase the history of sab to me. im prolly more sore about it than you. i ground out full weapon sets (various colors) for 5 alts, before wardrobe was a thing. im still waiting for purple, because my mesmer has blue. im still waiting for red, because my warrior has blood in his name. im still waiting for it to come back, because my guard has yellow instead of blue because i didnt wanna repeat colors too much at the time and i wasnt sure where i wanted to put yellow (which is now ranger, which i thought i wanted green for).

Gene Archer.8560

I will say this:

They sell boosts in the Gem Store.

They sell Boon Fire bonfires in the Gem Store.

Both of these things cost gems and yet after a certain time frame are gone/done with.

This isn’t even comparable.

They aren’t marketed as being reusable. The coin was. One of the stated functions of the coin’s existence was “HEY, USE IT THE NEXT TIME SAB SHOWS UP AS WELL AS THIS TIME, GAIZ!”

There is no reasonable expectation for a refund on this item.

There absolutely is.

You got more than it’s value out of it when available and it will release at some point in the extended future

When. Tell me when. Give me a date. Do it. Tell me when this “extended future” is.

(and no, future doesn’t just simply mean weeks or months from now, but years can be included in that term).

That’s kind of the problem, chief.

There should be no sense of entitlement here

No, there absolutely should be a sense of entitlement here. The coin is currently not fulfilling one of its stated goals, because SAB is currently unavailable and continues to be unavailable.

-which is what requesting/demanding a refund is doing-, because delivery and fulfillment have been met.

Fulfillment has not been met, as the coin is supposed to be reusable, and in fact, is supposed to be usable past its initial run, and it currently is not.

Future use is bonus icing on the cake.

Future use is one of the stated baselines of the product, so no, it is not a bonus.

Stop defending something that is anti-consumer at its very core.

actually in this case im keen to believe the grace period expired the first time you used the coin. typically the use of a gem store item precludes refunds.

Town Clothes.

This current situation best compares with what happened with town clothes.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

No matter what legal grounds the infinite continue coin has, its very shady business at the very least. And I say this as someone who throws tons of money at this game

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Bunnikk.2146

Bunnikk.2146

I am happy to receive a response but that doesn’t mean I like the response. I know anet doesn’t want to dedicate resources to the project but they already made the same choice with dungeons and while many people don’t like it, we accepted the choice and continue to play them “as is”. I, like many in this thread already have, am asking for SAB to be returned permanently “as is”. I played SAB, I know there were problems, but I would rather have it as it was than not have it because there was problems. There were bugs in the Living Story but I dealt with it; I will deal with what is in SAB. Please allow me to reenter the Box.

[RAWR] Monsters of Tyria
Monster of choice – Kitsune
Megaserver formerly known as Blackgate

Posted by: LionHeart.2804

LionHeart.2804

Oh my days. Really?
just let us play it again.
Seems like the company bosses are not listening to customers.
I don’t care if I have to buy SAB as some stupid separate add on for 3000 Gems, or more. H3ll, just add it back while we wait for that kitten expansion.
I mean we can still re-do the season 2 for 200 gems per story, yet something just as good, like SAB, is way out of your ability to re-instate? (with or without a fee).

You’re busy with the expansion, so it would make more sense to give us something we enjoy, to occupy the time?
I’d happily play threw last years SAB while we are waiting for the new HoT, is that so much to ask?

“We don’t have any plans at this time to add it back into the story, yet”.
Screw your plans, it’s not even a major point of the story in Season 1, it’s an attraction, and a money maker. It’s a sell point, with lots of gimmicks and stuff that you’d make money on by selling SAB items, and giving newer players the chance to experience it.
And right now, you’re not getting far with idle content and a few new skins every few weeks. Please do something to keep newer customers and older customers from DYING of boredom every now and then.

Sorry for the rant, but not for the point I’m trying to get across..

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Dunno, but i’ve a feeling, like sab on April First

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

If SAB returns then yes.

Monkey Fritz.9052

Dunno, but i’ve a feeling, like sab on April First

I will be logging in either way. If its not there, we riot.

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

If SAB returns then yes.

Not if, when. SAB has already been confirmed to be returning, but with no set date yet given.

Inb4 merged with superthread.

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

I dont know why someone can’t just tell us why W1 and W2 arent in the game currently. I’m sure they have a good reason. There is no way they just like seeing me cry ;(