That feeling with Abyss dye..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nevetz.8306

Nevetz.8306

When you find it at game release, use it, stop playing, then come back months later and find it on BLTC worth 20G or so….

Do you know a similar story? Share!

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

yeah, like me having over 10 Superiors runes of Divinity back then and sold them all for few silver :/

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

My very first drop in GW1 was a black dye. I distinctly remember it, killing a scale in pre-searing and seeing this black dye drop.

I knew it was expensive so I sold it for 80 gold!

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Picked up a staff precursor in the karka event, sold it for almost nothing, now its work ALOT.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

yeah, like me having over 10 Superiors runes of Divinity back then and sold them all for few silver :/

Aw man that sucks.

When I was making money for my warrior abyss dye (about 3g back then) I got the money JUST before the patch for dye drops. In about a week the price was at 10g, also got a celestial for my guardian at the same time too. But didn’t buy any for my main lol, I regret that so much since my armor looks grey even though it’s black dye -.-.

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

Does anybody know why the Runes of Divinity became so expensive?

Posted by: Azzrael Deathbane.4965

Azzrael Deathbane.4965

I would just like something nice to drop in the first instance. To date I have levelled to 80 and completed map 100% and still not had anything of real value drop for me. I have even spent hours in Orr and the Karka Island and still nothing, (how the hell are you supposed to get legendary pre-cursors)

I must be the most unlucky player around.

“Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.”

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Because the rare drops they are salvaged from have become, well, rare

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Because the rare drops they are salvaged from have become, well, rare

The other way around wildcode.
The drops they are salvaged increased their price due to the demand of that Rune. Some people believe that’s the best rune ingame, hence the increase in price!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

Wow, repeat, rewind.

I also had Abyss Dye drop in the first week of the game (when dyes were falling like rain) and having no idea it was valuable used it. I still wear it and was quite suprised when I found out how much it was later worth

marnick.4305

Well that’s the good thing about using hard pink dyes. There’s a lot of varieties and they’re cheap. As a man I’m thinking … the more breast cancer awareness, the better.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

LHound.8964

Well that’s the good thing about using hard pink dyes. There’s a lot of varieties and they’re cheap. As a man I’m thinking … the more breast cancer awareness, the better.

Sure… I’ll make an effort to believe!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

marnick.4305

Breast cancer is nothing to joke about …

LHound.8964

I’m not saying nothing against Breast Cancer! I think it’s a huge problem also. I was saying that i will believe that the reason that makes you wear pink is exclusively Breast Cancer Awareness! ^^

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I had Abyss dye drop during the few days of dyes raining from the sky.
I sold it for 3g- duh, I can kick myself.

@ Marnick: I was in pink on my main for Pink Day in LA.
My enigineer alt is permanently in pink though and I love it.
I am a woman so I think it is kind of an important cause- good for you.
Btw I see many players who have adopted permanent pink after Oct.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I would just like something nice to drop in the first instance. To date I have levelled to 80 and completed map 100% and still not had anything of real value drop for me. I have even spent hours in Orr and the Karka Island and still nothing, (how the hell are you supposed to get legendary pre-cursors)

It’s long been my musings that some accounts are marked as “unlucky”. Every dungeon run, well, at least 80% of them, I will get zero cores/lodestones and a friend will get 1-2. If I happen to get one, he will always get more.

It’s all superstition of course, but having been playing since release and seeing this happen more or less every day without fail, you gotta wonder…

No, just luck, just be rational and tell yourself it’s luck. Maybe one day our luck will change…. >.>

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Disappointing… I expected the follow up post to the title to be: “…That you paid around 10 to 15 gold more for an almost imperceptible change in tone.”

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I just got one while killing pirates in the DE south of Lion’s Arch…

But I primarily play one character and I’ve already unlocked it on him. I can’t decide if I want to sell it or use it on an alt. >.>

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

I got Dusk in the MF and accidentally put it into the MF with 3 other Greatsword at the next try. Took me another 200g in the MF to get it again.

You just can not top this!

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

(edited by Zumy.6318)

Morrigan.2809

I got Dusk in the MF and accidentally put it into the MF with 3 other Greatsword at the next try. Took me another 200g in the MF to get it again.

OMG- no you cannot!
I would just cry, seriously bawl if that happened to me.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

In first months i had 4 abyss dyes drop. I unlocked one on warrior i dont play anymore and sold rest for 5g each. Havent seen one in my inventory for last 2 months, go figure…

Zumy.6318

OMG- no you cannot!

Honestly, it affected me very much. Not being able to even log in after this desaster.
I mean you have it, you destroy it and it takes you another two weeks to get it. Boooooooy this was bad :-D.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

My very first drop in GW1 was a black dye. I distinctly remember it, killing a scale in pre-searing and seeing this black dye drop.

ahahahaha epic

marnick.4305

I’m not saying nothing against Breast Cancer! I think it’s a huge problem also. I was saying that i will believe that the reason that makes you wear pink is exclusively Breast Cancer Awareness! ^^

Uhm partly. The less breast cancer, the better. Both in terms of lesser human suffering and more human happiness. It leads directly to a better world for men and women alike. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Also partly because hard pink is just a fashionable colour.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I purchased a few unident dyes off the TP the other day, and low and behold, one of them was abyss!

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

An Endless Toymaker’s Tonic dropped for me within the first few days of the Wintersday event. I think I got it from Tixx’s chest, but I might be mis-remembering.

Anyway, I didn’t know what it was aside from a Tonic, and I never really use them anyway, so I stuck it on the TP for 35 gold with the hopes that someone else would enjoy it.

This was still early into the event. Over the next couple of days, it rose to around 60 gold.

Happy End: Now it’s back down to ~35. I expect it’ll get more valuable as time goes on, but I just like to think that someone who uses it more than I would has it sitting in their inventory (rather than a trader’s bank ._.)

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: Mayhem.5324

Mayhem.5324

I just recently had an Abyss dye drop for me, the day after I had Black dye drop. Used them both. I like the way Abyss dye looks.

20g can easily be made while dungeon farming. I’ve made half that in about a day of doing CoF runs.

If you like the way something looks, don’t feel compelled to sell it, theres other ways to make gold.

Just my 2c.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Hah, the same thing happened to me. It dropped for me in pre-Searing, somewhere along the road to Barradin’s estate. I wasn’t smart enough to sell it though. I used it — on my bloody starter armor. Such a nub.

I’ve opened an absurd number of dyes in this game, but haven’t seen any Abyss, Black or White yet. I’d start questioning their existence altogether, if not for the fact that folks are selling them at the TP.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Bought a ton of t6 mats when they were only worth around 50-70c.

Sold them later when price shot up a ton. Helped me afford Bifrost which at that time was 145g.

I also did the same with Wall of the Mists, which was a bugged recipe (not an exploit). Cost only 40g to make but when fixed it eventually rose up to +120g

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Ath.2531

Ath.2531

Getting Bolt around 3 weeks ago. In 2 months i will be looking at the price it costs to craft one and laugh spastically

Commander Athrael ThunderBorn
GM of Crew of Misfits (CoM)
Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Nevetz.8306

Nevetz.8306

I just recently had an Abyss dye drop for me, the day after I had Black dye drop. Used them both. I like the way Abyss dye looks.

20g can easily be made while dungeon farming. I’ve made half that in about a day of doing CoF runs.

If you like the way something looks, don’t feel compelled to sell it, theres other ways to make gold.

Just my 2c.

Yes, when I didn’t have a work farming was nothing more than a solution to spend time. Now that I can play something like 2h a day without taking away time from other things farming in so more even an option. Probably even less when I’ll start getting on planes for the most different nations of the world for work, but at that time I’ll earn enought money to buy in gems whatever I’ll need, lols.

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Is abyss worth it over midnight ice? I bought the latter for around 7 or 8 gold but have always wondered if I would have been more satisfied with abyss and saving up the 20 or so gold it costs.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I got Abyss day one, shortly after launch. I use it on my necro all the time. The other shades I play with, however.

Edit: Got Pitch a couple weeks ago, tossing in cheap dyes into the Mystic Forge. Gave that one to my thief.

(edited by Zeivu.3615)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I got an abyss dye AND a black dye on Saturday of headstart. I waited a week, saw they really weren’t worth all that much, and used them. Checked back later and wanted to smash my head into the monitor.

Especially since the character I used them on… isn’t my main anymore. ;_;

Posted by: Azzrael Deathbane.4965

Azzrael Deathbane.4965

Nah, your right. That cannot be topped. i would log out and never come back coz i would be that kitten /p>

“Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.”

Zumy.6318

Nah, your right. That cannot be topped. i would log out and never come back coz i would be that kitten /p>

As the screen in my signature shows, never lose focus mate! :-P
But I admit it took me 3 days till I could log in again^^

Thief | Zumy [Buka]

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I crafted Immobulus a while back, when the recipe was first discovered. Only cost me around 40g.

Really wish I didn’t soulbound it now….

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

When you find it at game release, use it, stop playing, then come back months later and find it on BLTC worth 20G or so….

Do you know a similar story? Share!

Yup! Exactly this^ …

Abyss dye dropped for me about 1 week after game launch. Activated it without knowing what it was or how valuable it would become … Oh, and I kept playing, cried a bit every time the price rose, and I don’t even use it …

The most valuable thing that has dropped for me since was the Naga greatsword I pulled from the karka event chest, sold for around 4g …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

I probably sold over 100 ectos at 10 to 15 silver each.

Anet make Rev great again.

Zumy.6318

OMG- no you cannot!

Well, I managed to top it. Trusting the patchnotes I transmuted Twilight to other stats. Now I have exotic Twilight of Accuracy, not being able to craft Eternity with it anymore.

Thank you so much ANet, you are really helping in making me immune to any frustrations in life :-D.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

:) Don’t feel bad i’ve never seen an exotic drop or from a chest. All mine are from dungeon tokens / karma. 3 Day headstart and Beta

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Can’t top the legendary transmute.
The only facepalm that lost me money is getting Black & White dyes and using them before I knew they were worth anything.
For someone that envies those that can get or craft enough rares to put in the MF; I really could have used the gold to get ahead.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Morrigan.2809

OMG- no you cannot!

Well, I managed to top it. Trusting the patchnotes I transmuted Twilight to other stats. Now I have exotic Twilight of Accuracy, not being able to craft Eternity with it anymore.

Thank you so much ANet, you are really helping in making me immune to any frustrations in life :-D.

While that sucks- I am almost 100% sure that they can either help you, or that it will be fixed at some point
Don’t lose hope just file a ticket and a bug report- good luck

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I have sold a few things worth a lot less but that is inflation and dont kitten.
If you do tend to leave for a period of time put ur gold into gems and convert back when you return to the game.
*if it is for a few months it should help and hold against inflation of the gold while gone.
But not short term Anet takes a chunk to and fro.
After 800 hrs of playing I did get an exotic drop. kitten I was happy it was a really cheap precursor and couldnt use it but for my one and only ever drop it was nice.
So I listed it like I would and then realized what it was and pulled it off and relisted it lol. ate the listing fee twice stupid thing I did.

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i dropped a celestial yesterday. it will sit in my bank until the price is over 20g and then i’ll sell it.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Zumy.6318

OMG- no you cannot!

While that sucks- I am almost 100% sure that they can either help you, or that it will be fixed at some point
Don’t lose hope just file a ticket and a bug report- good luck

Well, I guess someday it will get fixed, but I dont think it will be rolled back for already transmuted weapons. But ok, now I dont have the pressure to craft Eternity for a while and can just finish Bolt :-D.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]

Zumy.6318

Before anybody gets mad because of me making my second legendary:
I finished Twilight 02.November and am now missing Zap, 50% T6 mats, 60 Lodestones, all the Runestones and 30% of the karma for Bolt, having only 500g to my name. Going to be another month or two :-).

Thief | Zumy [Buka]

(edited by Zumy.6318)

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

When I first started was close to the winter event. My first good drop in game was the Endless tonic, that netted me 20g ish. At the time I was still new and didn’t understand how much 20g was game wise. People said unidentified dyes could open into dyes worth tons of gold. So I bet you can’t guess where 15 g went…. The other 5 I used on a full gear set, every slot at the time. Since then thankfully I have become wiser, and have my nice warrior set and decent Thief set skinned with the krytan skin. If I could go back and slap the kitten out of myself, I surely would. And I would have spent that 20g on 80 gear, full runes, and probably enough crafting to get me at least 10 or 20 levels :P

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Morrigan.2809

Hehe ^ you go for it^ Bolt is really cool.
I honestly like it more than the GS
Kudzu- man I love that.
Sadly my characters are casters and Bifrost doesn’t do it for me.
also I’m lazy :P
my hat off to you

Gunnar’s Hold

Morrigan.2809

When I first started was close to the winter event. My first good drop in game was the Endless tonic, that netted me 20g ish. At the time I was still new and didn’t understand how much 20g was game wise. People said unidentified dyes could open into dyes worth tons of gold. So I bet you can’t guess where 15 g went…. The other 5 I used on a full gear set, every slot at the time. Since then thankfully I have become wiser, and have my nice warrior set and decent Thief set skinned with the krytan skin. If I could go back and slap the kitten out of myself, I surely would. And I would have spent that 20g on 80 gear, full runes, and probably enough crafting to get me at least 10 or 20 levels :P

ouch!!
I am a dye addict and I am poor..
I even spent Laurels on dyes and I will again.

Gunnar’s Hold