The CDI is coming back! Topics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coopziana.1802

Coopziana.1802

I choose ANet choose.

But only as long as they accept that if they propose something, they accept “NO” as an answer as a general consensus from the player base. Too many time before have I seen this sort of Player based input and the Dev’s propose an idea, the Players say “No” and the Dev’s go ahead and do it anyway (in a round about way or sneak it in over time).

I don’t think for one minute ANet would do that, but I just wanna make sure we are all on the same page!

Like & Subscribe to “Game Slobs” on YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/gameslobsuk

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Option 1.

Only you guys know what’s technically feasible and, more importantly, what topics you flat out refuse to budge on for design/philosophy/etc reasons. Our time is also valuable.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Honestly, I think the devs should be the ones to pick, and I think they should pick something that is potentially on their plates to be added to or adjusted within the game “soonish.” Like next feature pack items, this way they can get our feedback with plenty of time to take it into consideration for the development. This way there’s less last minute uproar and changing, like with the commander tag colors.

Just my 2c.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

For the love of all that is holy, if you’re actually serious about improving communication and creating at least a small glimmer of transparency with your development, then the CDI’s need to be scrapped for an alternative approach.

The majority of CDI’s in the past can only be described as a cluster kitten and I don’t know why you’d want to return to them when it’s clear that they aren’t achieving their intended goal.

I mean, if you’re not willing to divulge any information as to what you’re currently working on, then how can the community provide any feedback that will actually be useful in the long run? The whole idea of CDI’s given your current Public Relations schema is just a huge Catch-22.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

(edited by Flytrap.8075)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

For the love of all that is holy, if you’re actually serious about improving communication and creating at least a small glimmer of transparency with your development, then the CDI’s need to be scrapped for an alternative approach.

The majority of CDI’s in the past can only be described as a cluster kitten and I don’t know why you’d want to return to them when it’s clear that they aren’t achieving their intended goal.

I mean, if you’re not willing to divulge any information as to what you’re currently working on, then how can the community provide any feedback that will actually be useful in the long run? The whole idea of CDI’s given your current Public Relations schema is just a huge Catch-22.

I sort of agree with your last paragraph, but I’m not sure I agree that it’s clear they’re not achieving their intended goal. The intended goal was to gather and utilize feedback from community-driven and developer-guided discussions, as I recall. Mr. Whiteside has admitted that not all CDI-threads were equally successful, but I’ve seen many features implemented (granted, with varying degrees of success) from the horizontal progress discussion as well as the very first CDI about the living story. (Those are the ones I was most heavily invested in, so I can’t really speak to the rest.)

I’m not sure I’ll have much faith in any CDI that’s not led by Chris Whiteside, and I do feel disappointed by some of his actions- though, I think it’s important to note that I think his actions might be largely the result of company policy- but I’m willing to take a “wait and see” attitude with this.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Hi All,

The CDI is starting up again. How would you like the topic/s to be chosen for this round.

Here are you options for now:

1: Anet chooses.
2: You list your number 1 topic and the one with the must number of votes wins.

Note: This isn’t a call for topics just asking how to pick them(-:

Chris

How about a combination:

• Take one week to ask for player suggestions. 1 or 12 is ok, as long as people are brief.
  • Collate those and pick the 10 or 20 you are willing to invest time on.
  • Let us comment on those choices.
  • Use that to prioritize the next 3-5 CDIs and repeat that process every six months or so.

This allows us a lot of input into the conversation and leaves control of the overall direction to you.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

To conserve energy and make this round of CDIs start faster, I cast a conditional vote for “Dev choice”.

Conditions:
1, Devs nail down the system rationale and ideology behind the topic before announcing the topic. Consider the effect an inconsistent description of the Ranger design philosophy had on the Ranger CDI.

2, Create and manage a permanent thread for player CDI choices.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Priest Tully.3798

Priest Tully.3798

Option 1, Arenanet chooses seems like the best way to go.

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

The ranger CDI was a massive fail. If ANet dont want to do what players want dont let them to select a topic

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Hi All,

The CDI is starting up again. How would you like the topic/s to be chosen for this round.

Chris

if anet chooses the topic, we player get a feeling of what you are working on and where you (devs) feel the need for community help, which i believe is far more productive than a topic needed but far way down the road.

if really used as such, this is a perfect way to tell and talk about upcoming features and players get a hang of the moving direction.

Perfect.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: khalid.8467

khalid.8467

1 anet choose

tho i would like to see one of this became true ;-;
New Dungeons/Fractals
New Dungeon/Fractal Rewards
PvP modes/maps
Guild Halls (GvG)
New Legendaries
New Weapon and Armor skins (No RNG)
Precursor Crafting
WVW improvments

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Hi All,

Chris

What does CDI stand for ?

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Collaborative Development Initiative

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Leodious.5671

Leodious.5671

I think we should do both. Give us a few topics the devs think are the most important, and we give our feedback on that list. Also let the players voice what we think is the most important, and have the devs give their feedback, and then have the players vote on what they want.

Of course, I think it also should be divided into two categories. Content /changes we want, and things we think are broken and need fixing.

Posted by: JustCurious.3457

JustCurious.3457

Me and few guild members were talking about having Guild Halls and how we miss them from GW1. Would be nice to see them again, doesn’t have to be something as in-depth as it was in GW1 just something small (I’m thinking on the size of the airship/royal terrace) where we can meet up as a guild before missions/organise would be wonderful.
Personally however I’m more up for Anet deciding, at least then we can assured that it is something that is possible to implement and we can still provide feedback to help the idea develop further.

Classes: Guardian, Elementalist, Warrior, Thief, Engineer, Herald

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I say Arenanet picks them. What is important to you as developers to discuss with the playerbase?

If I were to offer a topic:
-Non-Living Story open world content

Sub topics:
-Zergs (pros and cons)
-Difficulty and choice of content (some events are just not solo-able).
-Rewards
-Why should I play in any particular zone, when the most lucrative zone is XYZ zone?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

heres a suggestion, tell us what CDI means instead of assuming that way you dont block out an entire group of new players……..

Posted by: VitaminK.2517

VitaminK.2517

Ich choose Option 2.

Posted by: Supermagnum.3458

Supermagnum.3458

Option 3.

Anet chooses, while they add polling functionality to webpage/client. Then Anet provides a list of subjects each week, with the focus changing each week to cover another area of the game and we choose our preferred topic.

Granted the expectation is that the CDIs Anet choose, are core problem/improvement areas of the game instead of smoke and mirror topics (ESPECIALLY THE INITIAL ONES).

Posted by: Argos Helios.4965

Argos Helios.4965

Don’t care about anything thats not WvW. Well over due for some love.

Posted by: Grotesque.6480

Grotesque.6480

- Guild Halls

Team Aggression [TA]

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Have to agree with the ANet chooses side simply because if they are bring up the topic the odds are better it is a change they are considering and would have better odds of getting budget dollars versus a topic that wasn’t even being considered.

Good hunting!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

To keep things grounded in reality, i.e. what ANet can actually accomplish, I’ll go with 1.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

The following has nothing to do with topics choice!

Just the CDI in general!

A few weeks ago a player who named themselves Wanze started a thread in the BLTP sub-forum that uses a format that was discussed in a past CDI thread. The format worked well.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

One topic Id LOVE to see is on forum moderation.

Im not sure if this has ever been suggested, or if it has…if that suggestion was consequently removed from “suggestion” thread a long time ago because it has to do with forum moderation. But if Chris Whiteside could work with the community managers and forum mods to grant an exception and give us ONE thread where we can voice our opinions, concerns, suggestions on forum moderation…WOW! Its no secret that many people think that moderation is pretty biased. What a step in the right direction it would be in restoring some of the faith in the playerbase concerning forum moderation. Would love to see this one.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hey All,

Ok we are going with option 1 and we will see how it goes.

We should also discuss how to improve the process at the end of the next CDI, such as tech, topic choice etc etc.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts.

I will speak to the team about what we want to discuss and will update soon.

Chris

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Looking forward to seeing the next round of CDIs.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

wow… this same question 1.5 years ago would’ve been a massive amount of ideas… hopes are so low that the “meh… do whatev…” option won.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

wow… this same question 1.5 years ago would’ve been a massive amount of ideas… hopes are so low that the “meh… do whatev…” option won.

If you read the initial post, it states that this is not a call for topics. This is a thread to ask how we would like to have the topics picked.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Mesket.5728

If you read the initial post, it states that this is not a call for topics. This is a thread to ask how we would like to have the topics picked.

Yes, I know. And the massive reply was, “do whatever…”.

This very same approach time ago would’ve produce a totally different response. Customers don’t even try it anymore. Expectations are very low.- GW2 is on divest for many players.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I interpret the massive reply differently from you. I see it as the community asking those in the know as to what actually can progress through discussion to make the evaluation and choice of the first topic. I also see eagerness to get to the actual discussion rather than spending a week lobbying for personal pet favorite topics to be selected.

Mesket.5728

I interpret the massive reply differently from you. I see it as the community asking those in the know as to what actually can progress through discussion to make the evaluation and choice of the first topic. I also see eagerness to get to the actual discussion rather than spending a week lobbying for personal pet favorite topics to be selected.

The Ice Cream truck is here, and no kid is running to it… they are slowly walking to it.

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

great I am happy CDI is coming back.
I think “2” would be perfect, the community should choose.
Run a very simple poll (maybe on a dedicate page, with tailored software to get things done quickly and efficiently).
Something like

Choose the area for CDI
[Class Balance]
[Features]
[Design]
[Beer]

ecc. Giving the chance to flag two options, you can extract from the stats which would be the “second most important CDI” before you even finish the first.
Imho having you guys decide how to design the content after the players base indicates which area is the one they care about the most, and in a second moment smooth said content based on players base feedback, would accomplish two great goals at the same time:

- speed up the process with which you raise the players satisfaction
- save time, lots of time

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

The Ice Cream truck is here, and no kid is running to it… they are slowly walking to it.

To be fair, the last time we had Ice Cream we picked Ranger Balance flavored. I wouldn’t exactly go running back for another taste of that either.

Let em recommend something.

Mesket.5728

To be fair, the last time we had Ice Cream we picked Ranger Balance flavored. I wouldn’t exactly go running back for another taste of that either.

^ Exactly my point. Many MANY topics could’ve been encouraged, but no one gives a cat anymore.

Posted by: BlazerellaNine.1026

BlazerellaNine.1026

If ANet selects, they’ll have to be prepared to weather a storm of criticism from the people who think they’re already out of touch with the community.

If you leave it up to a Forum “vote” here, then you will only be getting the opinion of the forum-goers. (Not to mention you will have to MANUALLY tally up the results, and many people will chime in multiple times. No control.)

As I suggested in the other thread:

During the Beta testing, we were given little in-game questionnaires to help you guys decide what people liked, and disliked, and what needed work. That seems like a good way to reach a nice, sizable spectrum of gamers. Do you think your little questionnaire program could be adapted to quiz the community on their desires?

You can control that each account gets to vote only ONE time. Offer a checklist of “hot topics” we’d like to see addressed. Your computers can quickly tally up what topics are the most important to the community as a whole, not just the forum-goers.

Easier. Faster. More representative.

This is a great idea!! Forgot all about those little surveys until I read this post

Blazerella Nine – Human Elementalist
Mercenaries Of Anarchy[MOA] (SBI)

Posted by: ArchCalder.3258

ArchCalder.3258

^ Exactly my point. Many MANY topics could’ve been encouraged, but no one gives a cat anymore.

Not everything can be discussed and implemented in a timely manner. The devs don’t have the manpower or the resources to dish out every ice cream flavor that could ever exist. I wouldn’t say that the community doesn’t give a kitten anymore, but we’ve tried to tell ANet what we want through past CDIs and forum posts (notice how the Suggestions section is archived now). And seeing how a good number of players see the ANet mentality as “we can’t discuss that right now”, it’s pretty clear that there must be a new approach.

Choosing option 1 allows the devs to tell us what they CAN discuss, and what they CAN dedicate their time to working on for the players. We will know what is truly important to ANet if they serve the ball first. I don’t know how often you check the forums, but for quite some time now, the majority of threads are seething in negativity, primarily due to the lack of communication from ANet. We’ve discussed ideas before to them, but their “policy” shows unwillingness to discuss these ideas. This could be the first step to addressing that communication issue, and I’m looking forward to seeing what ANet will bring to the table.

There will always be someone who won’t agree with every choice. And that’s okay. I can see merits of both options, but our goals are the same. I don’t see this as a massive “do whatever” response; I see this as a “show your playerbase what’s important to you, and we’ll provide our feedback”.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This very same approach time ago would’ve produce a totally different response. Customers don’t even try it anymore. Expectations are very low.- GW2 is on divest for many players.

Not so. This isn’t the first time we were asked to choose how a topic would be decided. Same answer as last time. Devs choose, as they would be more apt to offer up a topic that could be affected by the feedback found in the CDIs. And the CDIs did have an effect on the game.

Posted by: Naetell.3815

Naetell.3815

Good to see the CDI return even though they must be awfully stressing for you.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Hey All,

We should also discuss how to improve the process at the end of the next CDI, such as tech, topic choice etc etc.

Chris

Here’s a suggestion I’m going to put in the strongest terms the board won’t censor:

Don’t pull a repeat of the gross mis-management that was the entire Ranger CDI.

Somehow a staffer who seemingly knew effectively less than zero about the topic got made the host (firing off placating drivel to the effect of “oh, they just have minor issues” when the overwhelming weight of player concerns fell on this one class…). At best we were left watching a glorified secretary who silently picked suggestions that we were never privy to based on criteria never stated, passing them on to the relevant minds who stayed completely behind the curtain throughout. There was no actual developer input/interaction at all.

The crowning moment of the whole debacle was the host getting sick mid-week and rather than spending 60 seconds to tell us “Hey, feeling icky. I’ve gotta step out for a bit” they just vanished until the following Monday… without asking someone to take over their duties. I’m sorry, that’s the official ArenaNet presence displaying full-blown contempt for the CDI process itself.

Oh, and welcome back Chris.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Mesket.5728

Not everything can be discussed and implemented in a timely manner. The devs don’t have the manpower or the resources to dish out every ice cream flavor that could ever exist. I wouldn’t say that the community doesn’t give a kitten anymore, but we’ve tried to tell ANet what we want through past CDIs and forum posts (notice how the Suggestions section is archived now). And seeing how a good number of players see the ANet mentality as “we can’t discuss that right now”, it’s pretty clear that there must be a new approach.

Choosing option 1 allows the devs to tell us what they CAN discuss, and what they CAN dedicate their time to working on for the players. We will know what is truly important to ANet if they serve the ball first. I don’t know how often you check the forums, but for quite some time now, the majority of threads are seething in negativity, primarily due to the lack of communication from ANet. We’ve discussed ideas before to them, but their “policy” shows unwillingness to discuss these ideas. This could be the first step to addressing that communication issue, and I’m looking forward to seeing what ANet will bring to the table.

There will always be someone who won’t agree with every choice. And that’s okay. I can see merits of both options, but our goals are the same. I don’t see this as a massive “do whatever” response; I see this as a “show your playerbase what’s important to you, and we’ll provide our feedback”.

Yes, all this I can agree but I still get the feeling that the player base no longer have the same hype they used to when a post like this opens for debate.

When new flames covered lame re-skin takes priority over adding something really new or fixing some bugs you know something is wrong. Resources are where they want them to be and that can be seen in the game directly. I.E. there was little to no quality skins added since launch, needless to say all in the gem store and nothing to be acquired actually playing; no new dungeons; no new classes, weapon skills or anything relevant to actually extend the game… just 2 maps in 2 years. At this rate they will complete the world by 2050 but we will have thousands or more flashy and fiery skins to buy with gems.

If on top of this, you see a representative from ANet asking what we would like to discuss for improvement and the player base response is, “you choose”… I wouldn’t feel so good about if I work for ANet to be honest.

Mesket.5728

Not so. This isn’t the first time we were asked to choose how a topic would be decided. Same answer as last time. Devs choose, as they would be more apt to offer up a topic that could be affected by the feedback found in the CDIs. And the CDIs did have an effect on the game.

If it really had a positive impact on the game, you would expect over the thousand replies and suggestions. IMHO there are trust issues that will take time and dedication from ANet to the playerbase to recover. (I don’t want it to sound so dramatic lol but my english is limited to movies (?) )

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Hi All,

Chris

Players put a lot of effort into their suggestions and ideas and complaints on these forums, I think the players should choose.

The obstacle is the path.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Sorry but I choose…
2: We list our number 1 topic and the one with the must number of votes wins.

I feel like Anet has missed the mark on things too many times now, and if they truly want to listen from us it’s only fair to let us choose what we want them to hear.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Is this the thread you were going to update, Chris? Sorry if I’m bumping too soon, I see it’s just been an hour since you posted and we are well within the “shortly” time frame

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Communicating-with-you/page/21#post4339535

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

#2. (some text to rack up char count to 15).

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi All,

We will starting a CDI soon on…….Guilds.

It will be broken down into time boxed discussion sections such as Guild vs. Guild, Guild Activities, Managing Guilds, Guild Content etc.

I will update when I have more details on when we start. I am very much looking forward to it.

Chris

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

YES!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Hi All,

It will be broken down into time boxed discussion sections such as Guild vs. Guild, Guild Activities, Managing Guilds, Guild Content etc.

I will update when I have more details on when we start. I am very much looking forward to it.

Chris

and Guild Misssions? (pretty please )

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Hi All,

Chris

Thanks Chris, i’ll see what i can do to get an organized discussion going on NSP, most likely using TS. I know there will be some clamoring for GvG (ala GW style via Guild Halls). If you could go into a small bit of detail on what’s not even remotely feasible, that might help too. When i come back, after you make the CDI post, i may have more in-depth questions. I just don’t want to waste peoples time/energy discussing things that are too far out in the future (i.e. take far too much time to develop, over a year maybe?). Either way, i think this is a good hot-button topic.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website