The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rico.8574

Rico.8574

It really saddens me the idea that Cantha may never return. GW Factions’ soundtrack and setting are amazing. I really hope Anet finds a way over Asian cultural differences and all the pride involved. =(

Posted by: Njordfinn.4921

Njordfinn.4921

Cantha + Tengu as playable race = Shut up and take my money

Posted by: entropyembrace.1398

entropyembrace.1398

I’m sad to hear that Cantha might not be part of GW2. I don’t understand how Cantha was not universal enough. I played beta event weekends for Guild Wars 1 and previews of Tyria never hooked me. I did not play the game on launch and I pretty much forgot about it. A year later when Factions came out I was persuaded by a group of friends to try the game, I bought Factions, and was quickly hooked by Shing Jea and the plague storyline. I kept playing and was blown away by the huge scale and squalor of Kaineng, I fell in love with the beauty of the Jade Sea, and I was captivated by the dark mysterious Echovald forest. I ended up buying Prophesies because of Factions, Later when they were released I bought Nightfall and Eye of The North. I played Guild Wars long after my friends got bored of it. I have over 3000 hours logged there now. I moved on to Guild Wars 2 on launch day and have been playing it happily ever since….

None of that would have happened if not for Cantha. Cantha is what hooked me on the Guild Wars universe. Without Cantha for sure I would be playing some other game and not Guild Wars 2.

Please reconsider bringing back Cantha for Guild Wars 2. I miss it’s places, I miss it’s art, I miss it’s culture…I want to see what happened in Cantha over the 250 years since Guild Wars more than any other region from the original game….and maybe Cantha will hook new players that are not so attracted to Tyria today, just like it did for me back in 2006.

Posted by: Megosh.6354

Megosh.6354

I too would love to see Cantha again! In my opinion it was by far the most creative and nostalgic campaign. Admittedly, Kaineng City was a bit overwhelming, but think of what the art and map team could do with the new engine! While I began playing GW1 way back in Prophecies, I believe that Cantha was the “golden age” of Guild Wars, and a Cantha expansion would be a huge breath of fresh air for GW2.

Can’t touch my shiny!

Posted by: Lightcringe.6193

Lightcringe.6193

I loved Elona, the whole storyline and design was fascinating and the creatures were creative. Cantha was a close second (very close), I only happened to like Elona more because of game play and the scythe-wielding Dervish, but Cantha’s lore and overall look/design was very well developed. I played through the storylines of both of those as well as Eye of the North, and even though I bought Prophecies I never found it interesting enough to be worth my time.

I see how GW2 wouldn’t be able to go with the races it already has, but there’s plenty of others. Playing as a Margonite would be interesting…

Posted by: Boblike.6138

Boblike.6138

Why would they not add Cantha after they already showed off how fantastic it could look like with the jadesea-fractal. Though, I was really looking forward to ally with the kurzick again. T-T

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

i fully support this

Posted by: Vink.6453

Vink.6453

make a Cantha expansion and I would buy

Posted by: New Character Yo.6487

New Character Yo.6487

Yes, Cantha must make a return! It looked amazing in GW1, and with the new engine, i’d love to see how they’d recreate it!

Posted by: The Doom Cannon.9062

The Doom Cannon.9062

Cantha! We want it!

Posted by: Manarain.7940

Manarain.7940

Must must must get this Island back in the game, if anything this needs to be for the Tengu, they were one of the original races that came out in gw1, even before EotN. It would be such a shame to never follow up on their story. Also Factions was the first campaign that I completed in it’s entirety and it was by far my favorite.

Posted by: Kaleigh.6072

Kaleigh.6072

Save cantha !!!

Posted by: Rylor.8109

Rylor.8109

Please put Cantha back into the game. It’s storyline and environments were so unique and memorable, that for me the expansion was by far my favourite part of the game! I’d love to experience it once more!

#Woodenpotatoes!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVuIZDdn80 <— Lovin’ it xD

Posted by: Killian.1439

Killian.1439

Why would they not add Cantha after they already showed off how fantastic it could look like with the jadesea-fractal. Though, I was really looking forward to ally with the kurzick again. T-T

Kurzicks/Luxons don’t exists anymore, the emperor of Cantha raised an army, killed off the factions, and united the continent under one banner.

Kisu’s successor, Emperor Usoku, raised the Canthan military by spending millions in gold and conquered the still-warring vassal states of the Luxons and Kurzicks, forcing them fully into the empire once more. With this done, he then drove out all non-humans and closed the borders to Cantha. Said to be tyrannical and fierce, those who disagreed with Emperor Usoku left their homeland and sought refuge in Elona and Tyria.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cantha

Posted by: palepail.7386

palepail.7386

I would also like to see more Cantha influence in GW2. It is a shame the racial opening was changed if it is true. It would have been far more steeped in GW lore than the current opening/paths.

Posted by: TheSarjis.2478

TheSarjis.2478

For me also GW Factions was the first game I bought of this series and I loved it. Guild Wars can never be whole again without Cantha. I think it’s not Asian themed, it is Canthan themed!

Posted by: IAmYoNeighba.8623

IAmYoNeighba.8623

Factions was my first and favorite campaign of the original Guild Wars. It was a tremendously creative take on another culture that I have yet to see in any other game. I was really looking forward to seeing it brought to life again in GW2. I hope the devs will consider revisiting it with an expansion or something in the future.

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

How could A-net possibly even considered not adding Cantha on GW2!

I just watched a lore video, and that place looks Ideal!

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Michikyou.9617

Michikyou.9617

I think the removal of canthan themes or Asian themes from any MMO game is stunting to any society. Anthropologically we need to look at human societies holistically. In our real life China and the asian countries are some of the most historically rich cultures of the world. Removing them would remove a lot of our own worlds history and science pursuits.

I do not understand how removing a culture which population itself takes up more than 1/6th of the worlds total is beneficial to anyone..

On the topic of Guild Wars, I run a guild on Tarnished Coast based on a Canthan Noble RP house; I’ve read every bit of Canthan lore I can find. With the removal of such an integral part of the games lore and what made a lot of players pick up Guild wars, we would be hurting the players. Asia is a rich, beautiful and diverse and spectacular region of the world. They have beliefs much different from our own. I know personally; without the promise of Canthan styled objects and world areas. My time and money will be directed elsewhere. As will the 100+ people in my guild.

(edited by Michikyou.9617)

Posted by: Shafi.8952

Shafi.8952

Add Cantha.

-Not a request, but a demand.

Necromancer: Unfinished, Not Broken.

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

I would also like Cantha, it would be amazing to see it in GW2 and I do not see why they consider not adding it.

Come on, bring us Cantha!

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: Repuran.1859

Repuran.1859

I can’t wait for Anet to add an expansion whether it’s Cantha or not, as long as its full of lore

Full time Engi, Part time Ele

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

I would enthusiastically pay for a Canthan expansion … not to mention an Elonan one too. Happy to wait for it but it seems a terrible shame to leave so fertile a source of stories to rot.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: jayvux.4128

jayvux.4128

+spam votes from me

GM of Leaders [LEAD]
Server: Darkhaven (fb.com/groups/guildwars2darkhaven)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJayvux

Posted by: RetroSamus.9860

RetroSamus.9860

I do not understand why Cantha cant get back in the game. So in Asia they are whining because their culture gets combined with each other. That is ridiculous to not add it. The game has a lot of different cultures and religions mixed up in it.

Ignore it and just ad in the game.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I seriously can’t believe there’s even a discussion about this. There should be NO REASON that Cantha shouldn’t be in Guild Wars 2.

People, if you are serious about wanting Cantha you need to get your friends and all other like minded people you know post in this thread. If enough people don’t demand Cantha we likely won’t see it in game. It’s IMPERATIVE that you urge all friends and guild members to post here on Canth’a behalf or we may never see it in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Luquatic.3825

Luquatic.3825

Please bring back Cantha!

A Thief on Desolation

Posted by: Evaleena.5316

Evaleena.5316

It’s such a shame not to introduce Cantha, the place has a huge influence with the Tengu. Not to mention the fact that they might actually use it to put some sense into why the Charr and Asura don’t conquer the whole world with their technology. They could add that Cantha is actually protecting Kryta with some sort of magic. Or that the humans have some sort of artifact from Cantha that keeps them at a stand still with the rest of the races. Otherwise the humans should have been exterminated long ago. They have no advantage, no great magic, their gods have left them, no terrain advantage like the norn, no war instruction like the charr and no technology like the asura. Cantha not only would enlarge the map, add new races (Tengu being the most obvious) but also offer the humans a sanctuary, give more footing to the balance that GW2 is so desperately trying to create. If they don’t add it for the beuty of the asian culture and for diversity, at least they should add it to save their story. If arena net wishes to keep such diversity they should be prepared for expansions. People get bored after a while of all the maps. Diversity made this game, they should continue. Like someone said before, the map of GW1 had all types of cultures, even Orr that now is just filled with undead still gives that air of arabic culture. I just hope that Arena Net does not distroy the game they have worked so hard on. So please Arena Net if you are reading these, please bring back at least Cantha. I would seriously buy that expansion if you would just make it.

(edited by Evaleena.5316)

Posted by: Andlat Helsonr.1284

Andlat Helsonr.1284

The original Guild Wars had something that its successor, GW2, does not, and by the looks of it, will not have.

Even with a single playable race, the cultural differences, appearance, traditions, architecture, story and design or the different nations within that race made the world feel more diverse and complex than current Tyria can even dream to be.

It felt more realistic, and the different struggles, opinions and points of view of the characters, which were more often grey rather than black or white, only complemented that feeling.

Cantha was a prime example for a comparatively small piece of land which had so much history, conflict and hidden danger in it, that it makes the entire Elder Dragons plot, at least in my opinion, rather shallow. The helplessness of the poor before the big empire, the Emperor which the player served, the conflict between the vassal states – it all looked like a mechanism, like interactions that could happen in the real world, rather than the copped pieces that I feel the five races in GW2 seem to be.

Cantha provided so much contrast, yet so much grey. There was little definition of what is good and what is bad other than the side your character turned out being on. Shiro Tagachi was -the- villain in the Guild Wars games to this day. Not because of his powers and how massive he looks on the screen, but because he was just a man who got kittened over by life – a man who fell into a moral dilemma and simply made his choice.

I can go on and on with how much I loved this expansion, but lets imagine how it could be in Guild Wars 2. Imagine the towering buildings reaching the sky, the beautiful palaces, the now, probably, back to normal Echovald Forest and Jade Sea, and, my favourite – the Shing Jea monastery. I do not know about you, but I would sit there for hours, play the original GW:Factions soundtrack and melt in nostalgia.

Posted by: Lorelthin.4918

Lorelthin.4918

I would love Cantha to return! I never even liked Tyria or the Prophecies campaign, and part of the reason I bought Guild Wars 2 is so that I could experience Cantha and Elona all over again, even if it took a few years to make.

I would totally buy a Canthan expansion. I’m less likely to buy stuff from the cash shop. If NCSoft wants money, you know what to do.

Guild Wars 1 player since Nightfall
24/50 HoM

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Wow, this must be one of the oldest active threads on the forums.

I think if after 6 months of debate ANet haven’t turned around and said ‘Ok, ok, you win we will make Cantha.’ then we are never going to get it…

Posted by: GruntSquad.1530

GruntSquad.1530

WPs videos made a huge impression, i did not play guild wars 1, but i am greatly interested in that story arc. beautiful design and very thrilling story. i read somewhere in the previous pages, that ncsoft is forbidding cantha in guild wars 2 because of its asian theme. wether beeing it portraying it “negatively” or “mixed and unappropriate”.

i’m from asian descend. i do not understand, how one can take offense from a portraital in a fictional world. showing poverty right beside luxury and bliss does make things dramatic, and that makes people care about it. not hating it, nor shunning it. critique and applause expresses interest and care.

the mixed portaital-thing i don´t understand either. is it… “fear” beeing thrown together with an another group of people, people from a different nationality? then why? or is it fear, that the audience gets a wrong impression of the real world, mistaking asian countrys for beeing the same? kryta has french, italian and spanisch influences. ascalon has german and british influences. what makes cantha special in this regard? are you aware, that knowledge stems from interest? if, for some reasons, i decide to let a game influence my perspective on the real world, wouldn’t i get motivated to know more about these countrys, making me enlightened instead of making me relish in lazy ignorance?

and at last, you earn your bread with this game. the last and strongest argument for cantha in guild wars 2 is in our pockets. money. its safe to say, that “we” want cantha. we pay.

neither moral and educational, nor financial reasons makes this decision, restricting ArenaNet, a very ambitious and moreover successful developer, in its creativity – a big selling point of a artistical and beautiful game, guild wars – anymore sensible.

(edited by GruntSquad.1530)

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Wow, this must be one of the oldest active threads on the forums.

I think if after 6 months of debate ANet haven’t turned around and said ‘Ok, ok, you win we will make Cantha.’ then we are never going to get it…

Keep supporting the idea and they can’t ignore it. I keep telling every one of my friends to support it. I’m thinking of going to 1 post a day or more in this thread to keep it going so that Anet can’t ignore it.

Posted by: Slaider.4685

Slaider.4685

Would love if Cantha returned. I´m so curious about what happened there in 250 years, especially because noone heard of them. Loved the continent in gw1, so please make it return arenanet!

Posted by: Xaphen.8670

Xaphen.8670

You’ve probably heard this type of story many times before, but the Factions Expansion of the first and pretty much only thing that got me playing GW. People dont want the universality of a Tyria like the simple one we have today, its the complicated and multi-angled one of factions, the “different” one, that actually interests people and gets them playing.

Quaggans!

Posted by: killermandarine.7012

killermandarine.7012

While I really disliked the story and the missions in Factions, I loved the design of Cantha. Shing Jea was one of the most beautifull places I’ve ever seen in Guild Wars. I know that arena can make something nice like that again….I hope they will.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Cantha has to be in GW2 otherwise its not GW for me.

I started my mmo experience with GW Faction. The lore, music and the scenery were epic. I was very much looking forward to seeing what had happened to Cantha. If Master Togo has a statue somewhere. How many Tengu are still around. What happened with the Kurzicks and Luxons.

Anet make it happen please. I want to visit my mmo home.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

In the immortal words of Robert Plant, “Bring it back!”

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Panicore.9035

Panicore.9035

I would love to see Cantha comming back and judging from all these voices longing for Cantha to come back Im pretty sure and announcement about Cantha being developed and/or planned for the future would atleast keep me and pretty sure thousands of other players attached to Guild Wars 2 untill that expansion or update was realsed! Id say it would be an safe investment out of ArenaNets and NCSofts perspective to give us players Cantha back.

Posted by: ViciousVyne.2935

ViciousVyne.2935

Cantha is part of Guild Wars, just like Ascalon or Kryta is.

Factions was by far the best MMO experience I’ve had. The lore was rich, the scenery astonishing and the conflict between the kurzick and the luxon capturing. Please dont listen to your publisher, but listen to the community.

Bring back Cantha !

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I love how Arena Net keeps ignoring this thread…
I mean, someone could at least come and say that they haven’t completely scrapped Cantha and they’re still thinking whether to make it or not …

I’d gladly pay for Cantha expansion….

Posted by: BlueShyft.8904

BlueShyft.8904

I support this as well. Cantha and the added professions were my favorite of all the GW1 set. The music was beautiful, the bits of culture and architecture were amazing. The Lore is captivating. Especially the bits about the Tengu. I think Anet may have a hard time justifying bringing Tengu in as a playable race at some point (which I would fangirl squee about) without bringing Cantha into it as well.

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

I’m adding my voice to this as well. My GW2 experience started early on, like 6/7 years ago with GW1. I absolutely loved Guild Wars Factions. Of all the expansions, it was by far my favorite. The lore, the beautiful landscape; all utterly magnificent. I thoroughly enjoy the Ritualist, and the Assassin quickly became my most favorite profession of them all.

To not include Cantha, I think would be a grave mistake. Judging from the posts on this thread, it seems to me that Cantha was very popular, and only a fool would throw away popular content.
NCSoft certainly doesn’t seem like fools, so please, bring back Cantha!

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I posted this about several pages back, but I think what we want to see of Cantha is less poverty stricken and more culturally accurate, like an Asian Divinity’s Reach; with falling petals, people travelling in and out of the city, playful children, shops, mansions, and the usual city hustles. Comapre:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Divinity%27s_Reach_loading_screen.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVOB9oD97I

Who is “we”? You certainly don’t speak for me. I, for one, feel the endless slums of Kaineng City were one of the defining features of Cantha.

And what does “more culturally accurate” mean? Cantha is a fictitious nation; its culture is exactly what its creators wanted it to be and, accordingly, its culture is as accurate as it can possibly be.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Shiro Tagachi could kick Zhaitan’s kitten

Come on, he basically did the same thing, and more! He has an army undead, he corrupted an entire continent, but he’s such a baddass! I (And his his hair makes him hot! :o)

I argue Shiro could actually defeat Zhaitan, as he wields the power of a god (Dwayna), and he’s also a lot more intelligent.

Posted by: NixeN.1035

NixeN.1035

The only thing that is keeping me playing gw2 for so long is the Faction diversity. If they will erase the idea about making Cantha then I think, that a lot of people, including me, will be dissapointed in Arena Net and may even think about quitting the game.
And that would be a very bad choice from them.

Posted by: Panicore.9035

Panicore.9035

Yea, I just have to add that the music from Factions was/is incredible. Ive been working on my social science essay all day long just listening to the Guild Wars 2 faction sountrack.

I dont think this thread can be overseen for much longer (I know A-net have replied), especially not with WoodenPootatoes new lore series part awakening the Canthan longing in all of us.

I think the devs need to give us a new and informative statement about the Canthan state and the future of Guild Wars 2 with or without Cantha.

Posted by: FrankStark.5089

FrankStark.5089

If I read into the “universal humanity” statement a bit, it certainly sounds like there will be no Elonian specific expansion/content as well. I would like to add my 2 cents on why this is a terrible idea.

One of the best things about GW1 was the feeling of massive world exploration. I really enjoyed the different aesthetics and back stories of all the different places you could visit. If the players are all stuck on 1 continent in GW2 and the only new maps we ever get are just filling in the current world map, this will be a huge disappointment to me.

I will not buy any additional content that does not return this feeling of exploring other continents.

Posted by: cipher.7438

cipher.7438

I’d really like to see a Cantha expansion for GW2.

Just another voice proving Arenanet right and NCSoft wrong.

cipher
Hammerfist Clan: http://www.hammerfistclan.com

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Surprised we don’t have a petition somewhere for this…then we could share the call for saving Cantha across social media, not just the forums….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.