The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

In terms of Cantha, the petrified forest has begun to turn back and the jade sea has “melted” or whatever process to return to liquid.

In terms of Elona, Palawa Joko blocked the river and flooded quite a bit of it I believe.

There’s more in depth info in the wiki

He diverted the rival elon I hunk the name is. So it runs through the crystal dessert. Most of Elona have suffers famin and droughts. I think istan is the only part of Elona still “free” of Joko.

As for Cantha. Yes there are reports about the Jade sea and the forest. But they are just what the order of whispers have “reported” or said to have. No one really knows thanks to Zhitan and bubbles.

I’d much rather go back to the Far Shiver Peaks. I love Eye of the North. Can’t wait to go back there.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Agreed. Far Shiverpeaks ecited me more than Cantha when I played the original game. Factions did nothing for me at all

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Cantha is one of those places I could take it or leave it, but oh, to be back in Elona! It had some of the most breathtaking desert scenery, and in an odd way, I miss Joko….

I know there’s a lot of people who would give various body parts to go back to Cantha, but i see us going back to Elona long before we get to see Cantha again. There’s that gate just outside of Ebonhawke… (le sigh)

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

>.> It’s like it’s supposed to give us hope…

Lore wise, pretty sure there’s other dragons (like Zhatin) on those contents that “block” passage… or something like that… I know I read it somewhere…

In GW1 you help unify Cantha under the new imperial government. As a result, they become completely isolationist and xenophobic. The awakening of Zaitan only exacerbated it when he took control of the Straight of Malchor making shipping through it near impossible. The only info we get about Cantha is from shipwrecked sailors who attempt the journey.

After the fall of Abaddon and the Margonites in GW1, the revived Palwa Joko assumes control of the undead armies and makes a bid to resume control of the continent. He is successful after damming the Elon river and plunging the human cities into chaos, drought, and famine. Last anyone heard from them was 50 years ago when a wave of refugees escaped into Tyria. Access to Elona is possible through the Desert Gate which leads to the Crystal Desert. It was ordered sealed by Queen Jenna after the rise of Kralkatorrik.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Main theme of Guild Wars Factions
(probably not the first post with it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvcglKzCgE

I believe I’ve posted once or twice.

The music is one of the main reasons I loved Cantha. And why I want at the very least some refugees and exiles coming from Kaineng now that the orrian boats are scattered, after Zaitan’s defeat, and rebuild part of LA with classic Kaineng raggedy patchwork of buildigs, which would work great for a new jumping puzzle, and to put Cantha’s music while in that area.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Astasia.1459

Astasia.1459

I’m still hoping for a “GW2 Factions” expansion. I was never a big fan of the GW1 full party gameplay system, but Factions is still probably my favorite expansion from any game and I played through the early parts of it more times than I can count. Shing Jea was just such a perfect place for me.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

What still gives me hope about Cantha/Elona (especially Elona) is a single portal located in Mount Maelstrom (south-east), supposedly leading to the Crystal Desert (which is now nothing of a desert).

Also I assume that developers wouldn’t create sub-stories for parts of the world we would never see: have you seen the complete map of the planet? It is really huge, Prophecies/Factions/Nightfall were a tiny part of the whole world, and we had no “story” regarding unrevealed lands…

If they were to rule out Cantha and Elona, they could have created a background like “A dragon awoke, everyone fled to point B, Cantha/Elona was destroyed”, as easy as that. But they didn’t. For Cantha, I know there is that hypothetical argument about the reception of the mixed cultures, but nothing prevents us from returning to Elona.

Lore is so rich in this game, and devs took time (sort of) to create a story for places we once knew, it would be a shame to make us drool for nothing. Remember how long it took for GW2 to be released after its announcement, an expansion would be the same as a whole new game, but since the gameplay and some stuff are already done, it might not take 6 years but maybe 2 or 3.

For me, it’s a bit too long (yeah I’m impatient), but if it’s worth it, then I guess I could wait some more… All we can do is show our support to the lore our characters grew in, and show them how bad we are attached to what made GW1 so good

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

Cantha…

Oh, Cantha.

The ritualist dances (both genders) have their charms…

The ritualist wand attack… Scary in its own way.

And the Rit MM… Max degen, nuke DPS, nuke Heals, minions to tank and still a spot for a res skill.

Give me a ritualist and I can survive a lifetime without Cantha. Make that 2 ritualists, and a lion mask for the male one, so he fits his role as he dances…

//Portable Corpse

Posted by: Shew.6827

Shew.6827

Here’s some more Cantha hype, in the style of the races’ and professions’ biographies on the GW2 website! :-P

Tengu
Ages, years, and seasons—the tengu race has spanned many. Though they once soared with the winds, they lost this feat long ago. Despite this, their affinity with the winds has not waned. These stalwart, avian beings understand that the four winds empower the cycles and that it is time to travel from their aerie.

The tengu once prospered throughout the world, but the Canthan clans—the Angchu and the Sensali—are certainly the most recognized, as their history is intertwined with the humans. While the Angchu and Sensali of Shing Jea Island were at war with each other and the Sensali were at war with the humans, human-expansion brought disease to the Angchu fledglings, and so both clans fought a bi-centurial war against the humans. The Angchu and humans were able to achieve peace, although the Sensali never ceased their aggression.

Shiro Tagachi’s return disrupted this peace when his spirit conceived the Afflicted, plagued, hostile creatures who were once humans and other animals. The Empire of the Dragon formed the Ministry of Purity to cleanse Cantha of the Afflicted, but in their fear and zealotry, they annexed non-humans from their lands as well.

In the Great Tsunami’s wake, the tengu assembled above Sanctum Cay and founded their aerie, the Dominion of Winds, where they would remain in isolation for years. Under the Emperor and within four houses—North, South, East, and West, tengu society has thrived within the Empire’s walls. They are a spiritual race, honoring the Celestials in ceremony, combat, education, and trade.

Only recently have the tengu opened their gates to other races, but they wait to unveil their reasoning for this. Perhaps they view the deep-sea dragon’s migration to Cantha as an opportunity to reclaim their homelands, or perhaps their keen eyes watch something in the wind unknown to other races. What knowledge will the tengu bring forth?

Your Tengu Character
When you create your tengu character, you will choose the house to which you belong. Tengu of House North are the spiritual backbone of the Empire. House South consists of scouts that protect the Empire from enemies. Tengu of House East educate young fledglings on their race’s history. No foreign trade occurs without the merchants of House West.

Your story begins in the Dominion of Winds, an idyllic aerie watched over by the Emperor and his steadfast scouts. Journey outside the aerie’s walls and perceive Tyria as your ancestors once did. Will you answer the wind that summons you?

Stargazer
Stargazers commune with the celestial universe, weaving astral energy in the midst of battle. To their allies, they are a constant source of resolve, and to their enemies, they are an unpredictable force.

• Main hand: scepter, throwing star
  • Off hand: focus, throwing star, torch, warhorn
  • Two-handed: polearm, staff
  • Aquatic: spear, trident

Stargazing
Through their affinity with the celestial universe, stargazers inherit particular celestial characteristics.

• Luminosity: Luminosity accumulates with time, and when full, the stargazer glows with starlight that occasionally blinds and burns enemies nearby.
  • Luck: When this skill activates, the stargazer gains a random boon for each blind or burning enemy nearby at the cost of reducing their luminosity.

Special Spell Types

• Celestials: Stargazers call upon celestials, beings of starlight that protect their caller and do not easily perish. When threatened with defeat, celestials divide into two lesser celestials.
  • Cycles: The stargazer uses chained skills called cycles on allies and enemies, affected exponentially with each phase of a cycle. For example, a stargazer activates Unto Day to damage and burn nearby enemies; the stargazer then activates Unto Night to damage and chill nearby enemies, but if an enemy is already burning, Unto Night’s damage increases.

Posted by: larv.3456

larv.3456

May 15 China launch! We want Cantha launch too.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I don’t want to give up hope that there might be some kind of word on what is happening with this. I mean the reason we play or watch a sequel is to see what has changed over time.

I wouldn’t want to pick up a sequel of a book set in the same world and the author never mentions any of the places from the first. If this was the case why not just make a whole new world and be done with it?

There is lore and history here. And I would like to know what it is and to actually walk through the petrified forest again, or look at the jade sea.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: gemmx.8392

gemmx.8392

I think anet know that if they didn’t make cantha or even atleast include some canthan themed areas there would be an uproar, it seems that the majority including me favour cantha over elona and feel it’s a natural progression from Tyria as in gw1 cantha was where we first visite after Tyria. I dunno why they’d include the big door in LA (same with the gate to “elona”) if they never have/had plans to eventually include it. They would have wasted a lot of time dedicated to lore and backstory and would leave the community feeling betrayed basically (not the first time but whatevs). Also who in their right mind wouldn’t want to be a Luxon again omg because lol kurzicks

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I dunno why they’d include the big door in LA (same with the gate to “elona”) if they never have/had plans to eventually include it.

Same goes with the portals in Coriolis Plaza in Lion’s Arch

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

now i think of it, we’re complaining that cantha is’t possible but we are forgetting the next best option, elona.

• 1. there is a town in divinity’s reach made in the elonian style.
  • 2. there is absolutely no conflict about elonian architecture.
  • 3. it’s a part of tytia’s land.
  • 4. the north part is the crystal desert.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Any news?
Jut wondering here, since China is so important to Arena Net, perhaps they’ll recreate Cantha to be more “China like” too.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Canthaaaa,i have nothing smart to say atm so im just writing here to keep this tread on first page :P.We wont give up from Cantha >.<

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

Here’s some more Cantha hype, in the style of the races’ and professions’ biographies on the GW2 website! :-P

Tengu
Ages, years, and seasons—the tengu race has spanned many. Though they once soared with the winds, they lost this feat long ago. Despite this, their affinity with the winds has not waned. These stalwart, avian beings understand that the four winds empower the cycles and that it is time to travel from their aerie.

The tengu once prospered throughout the world, but the Canthan clans—the Angchu and the Sensali—are certainly the most recognized, as their history is intertwined with the humans. While the Angchu and Sensali of Shing Jea Island were at war with each other and the Sensali were at war with the humans, human-expansion brought disease to the Angchu fledglings, and so both clans fought a bi-centurial war against the humans. The Angchu and humans were able to achieve peace, although the Sensali never ceased their aggression.

Shiro Tagachi’s return disrupted this peace when his spirit conceived the Afflicted, plagued, hostile creatures who were once humans and other animals. The Empire of the Dragon formed the Ministry of Purity to cleanse Cantha of the Afflicted, but in their fear and zealotry, they annexed non-humans from their lands as well.

In the Great Tsunami’s wake, the tengu assembled above Sanctum Cay and founded their aerie, the Dominion of Winds, where they would remain in isolation for years. Under the Emperor and within four houses—North, South, East, and West, tengu society has thrived within the Empire’s walls. They are a spiritual race, honoring the Celestials in ceremony, combat, education, and trade.

Only recently have the tengu opened their gates to other races, but they wait to unveil their reasoning for this. Perhaps they view the deep-sea dragon’s migration to Cantha as an opportunity to reclaim their homelands, or perhaps their keen eyes watch something in the wind unknown to other races. What knowledge will the tengu bring forth?

Your Tengu Character
When you create your tengu character, you will choose the house to which you belong. Tengu of House North are the spiritual backbone of the Empire. House South consists of scouts that protect the Empire from enemies. Tengu of House East educate young fledglings on their race’s history. No foreign trade occurs without the merchants of House West.

Your story begins in the Dominion of Winds, an idyllic aerie watched over by the Emperor and his steadfast scouts. Journey outside the aerie’s walls and perceive Tyria as your ancestors once did. Will you answer the wind that summons you?

Stargazer
Stargazers commune with the celestial universe, weaving astral energy in the midst of battle. To their allies, they are a constant source of resolve, and to their enemies, they are an unpredictable force.

• Main hand: scepter, throwing star
  • Off hand: focus, throwing star, torch, warhorn
  • Two-handed: polearm, staff
  • Aquatic: spear, trident

Stargazing
Through their affinity with the celestial universe, stargazers inherit particular celestial characteristics.

• Luminosity: Luminosity accumulates with time, and when full, the stargazer glows with starlight that occasionally blinds and burns enemies nearby.
  • Luck: When this skill activates, the stargazer gains a random boon for each blind or burning enemy nearby at the cost of reducing their luminosity.

Special Spell Types

• Celestials: Stargazers call upon celestials, beings of starlight that protect their caller and do not easily perish. When threatened with defeat, celestials divide into two lesser celestials.
  • Cycles: The stargazer uses chained skills called cycles on allies and enemies, affected exponentially with each phase of a cycle. For example, a stargazer activates Unto Day to damage and burn nearby enemies; the stargazer then activates Unto Night to damage and chill nearby enemies, but if an enemy is already burning, Unto Night’s damage increases.

Cantha WE NEED YOU and honestly idk if this is true but OMG I love the find if it’s real if not it still got me SUPER hyped I want Tengu almost as bad as cantha if we get both near the same time I might die but not before I throw hundreds of dollars at Anet to pimp out my Tengu then die from the EPICNESS THAT IS AVIAN!

Posted by: Karuna.1357

Karuna.1357

The addition of Cantha would be great. So would Elona. So would the Ring of Fire Islands and the Crystal Desert and the Far Shiverpeaks (all of which are currently on the game map, but non-explorable)

The different cultural themes that the expansions in GW1 brought to the table were part of the allure. It really felt like you were traveling somewhere different and exotic, rather than just more of the same ole same ole.

The game really needs to add some sort of major new content, and the more creative the better. Living story alone won’t cut it. Dropping in one little random new zone at a time here and there won’t cut it either.

So, +1 to Cantha since a lot of other people seem to be fond of that one.

Guild Leader/Commander, the Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Tarnished Coast
http://www.espguild.com

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I’d pay 60 usd for cantha.

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: Gilthor The Savage.1870

Gilthor The Savage.1870

Arenanet, I’m sorry people have been so critical of you, including myself. I think you’re great, you have a beautiful past and have a beautiful future to look forward to. I don’t want to demand something you cannot do, I think the main concern here is whether it can be done. Is there a way to get Cantha re-existant? Will Ncsoft try to work it out with some sort of compromise on our part? I know there isn’t much you can say without making it seem like an announcement of an expansion or a lack thereof. We just like what you’ve created and we want you to succeed.

I think there’s room for tweaking to the point where the continent is not entirely east asian but retains the Canthan feel. The Kurzicks and Luxons for example. They seemed more fantasy than anything else, and the fact that they are now united provides alot of room for their unique cultures to influence the architecture and culture of the new Empire. Maybe it can be more Roman empire feeling, adding a culture like that to the mix really takes it away from being solely Asian and creates something more fictional. I’m not sure how many would agree with me on this, but If it takes a compromise like this to bring Cantha back, it should be something to at least consider. the creative investment Arenanet put into that continent is totally worth it.

(edited by Gilthor The Savage.1870)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Actually Gilthor, the Emperor dissolved the Kurzicks and Luxons, uniting them into one CANTHAN people. So it’s more likely that their culture and architecture was removed as well, since to leave it would be to leave the possibility of them still distinguishing themselves from the rest of Cantha.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Now everyone loves turtles AND trees together

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

VergilDeZaniah.3295

There are ways to introduce Cantha, managing some changes… Deep inside me I keep on hoping that we will go back there soon. Yet, and I’m sad to write that, there are according to me many other things to improve within the game before introducing a new continent.

Chinese version just released this night, so we will see if this changes something or not, maybe they’ll start introducing Canthan-related places/people, and see if Asia truely despises Cantha.

It’s just a question of patience I guess… Even if mine has reached its limites

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

Is the tengu and stargazer thing for real or just a tease?

FlamingFoxx.1305

Is the tengu and stargazer thing for real or just a tease?

No it’s not real, the person who made that post wrote it…

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Is that the longest thread ever or what:P

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What are the chances of us getting Cantha now that GW2 is in China?
As far as I know they find "everything’ slightly “Asian themed” offensive and inappropriate. Remember Pandas in WoW?

FlamingFoxx.1305

As far as I know they find "everything’ slightly “Asian themed” offensive and inappropriate. Remember Pandas in WoW?

GW1 released factions even though the game was available in a lot of asian countries. Panda’s were originally a charmable pet but had to be removed due because of cultural issues, but apart from that there weren’t any problems.

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

Greetings to you all!

I just wish to share the community, my ideas and how i would like to see an upcoming expansion to the game.

Lets not fight over the necessity of an expansion. Clearly, improving the game and having more content should be always welcome.

The best way in my opinion would be to give us, what many players miss since beta :
A chance to further customize your combat and gameplay. And features like the last patch offered as Wardrobe system.

First of all i must state, that in my opinion Gw1 was not really good at early stages. Factions was the thing that elevated it to heavens. And i am feeling the same way about Gw2. Currently i dont enjoy the game as i am supposed to.
The list of things that would clearly change my opinion, are not to extreme i think.
For example Guild Halls are mentioned since before beta, and are promised “we keep what is good,…” to quote Mike O Brian…(can i?) And i must say Guild Halls were one of the must fun things i saw in like 20+ ish mmo-s i played since Eq1 and Ragnarock online.

All right, lets begin.
As Content i would love to see an Eastern Culture style expansion. Cantha would be my choice before any other. The culture and style is to rich to leave it later. It leaves the option to change anything basically. Not to mention all the fans that are into anime or manga, or simply just like the eastern culture or martial arts, or just its music. I am sure its kind of more popular then any other culture (that is my opinion ofc)

Second i would love to see Guild Halls as mentioned above.
Could offer a lot to PvP and general guild systems. For example : you could pick its location, building style, be able to furniture it to your taste (as guild master). Unlock trophies to display. Merchants, collect pets to menagerie, that could even be tamed. Maybe even daily collectible flowers or crafting materials.
Not to mention you could Challenge Guilds to GvG, that would take place in the “area” (something like a Spvp map) attached to the guild hall. And Earn rewards.
So i think would be an excellent idea.

As third, more weapons by of course.
They dont really have to bring new mechanics to the game (might take to much design time, trough it would be awesome), but they could be there for a different play feel.
For example you could have a “hand cannon” instead of rifle, that would be that tipical Dragon ornamented black powder cannon thing. Or a Halberd or a normal Spear, that is requested since beta.

New armor and item skins should be ofc evident.

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

As feature i would mention :
Skills swapping. By that i dont mean , you can customize your weapons skills as you like, but to have a cool feature, to switch out 1 or 2 preset fitting skill.
For example : Switch Flashing blade to a skill that throws the weapon blinds the same way, but burns the enemy instead of teleporting you. (just an example) This would not throw of balance, and would not give players to extreme combinations, but still would let them customize there game play and combat a LOT more.

As second you might should consider a “skill effect” menu. This would be like Wardrobe, but you could unlock a few skill effects to specific skills with some mission or dungeon.
For example Engineer turrets, the way he is holding the rifle. New look to Necromancers minions. In this menu you could freely (or for transmutation charges) change how your skills look.

Another option to this could be : Character Ascension.
The characters could “ascend” in the end of the “expansions personal story”, and unlock a “sub class” that would let them chose more weapons, skill styles (could do the same as before with a new look), that would be more eastern style. For example Thieves could ascent to Assassin and be able to switch the look of his skills to a more appropriate look.
Necro could for example ascend to Ritualist and summon other kind of undead, or get another trait line as spiritualism.
Guardian to Monk ect…

For now i think this would be all, that pops into my mind and i would love.
I hope you forgive my terrible english and give me your opinions as well, and share what you would like, or think should be changed- improved in a constructive way, so that players that like things as they are stay happy, but others that want new stuff also get it…i am sure Anet thinks the same way.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I dont know will they ever make Cantha but if they do i hope will be Cantha from GW1.I dont want Cantha to be another fantasy setting as Tyria is.It need to look asian and realistic,story need to be about humans,human bosses like Shiro or at least humanoids lol.So…less fantasy and more GW1 type.Same works for Elona and i hope i see them in GW2 someday,it whould be BEST MMORPG EVER.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

They only find it offensive if it’s an obvious dig or if it’s, as perceived by them, a subtle criticism of the way they do things in the modern era.

AFAIR, there was nothing really glaringly obvious about Factions that caused much of a stir in Asia. The lore of Cantha was basically, Emperor ruled the lands but 2 powerful houses constantly fought against each other for political gain while incompetent ministers fought to stave off the plague of the afflicted. If anything there were a lot of influences from the old martial arts sagas of the early to mid 20th century and although some of those were banned for some decades due to their perceived criticism of governments they’re now embraced as literary classics.

The lore now stands as Cantha having isolated itself from the other continents following the rising of Orr. This could be considered a parallel to any isolationism policy practiced in various Asian nations in their past.

If anything, I am highly interested to see if they do a story for Cantha, something involving a tengu character and a quest to reopen the connection between Tyria and Cantha.

FlamingFoxx.1305

@Nekroseth – this is a discussion for CANTHA. If you wan’t to suggest other improvements to the game then feel free to start your own thread.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

In terms of Cantha, the petrified forest has begun to turn back and the jade sea has “melted” or whatever process to return to liquid.

In terms of Elona, Palawa Joko blocked the river and flooded quite a bit of it I believe.

There’s more in depth info in the wiki

He diverted the rival elon I hunk the name is. So it runs through the crystal dessert. Most of Elona have suffers famin and droughts. I think istan is the only part of Elona still “free” of Joko.

As for Cantha. Yes there are reports about the Jade sea and the forest. But they are just what the order of whispers have “reported” or said to have. No one really knows thanks to Zhitan and bubbles.

I’d much rather go back to the Far Shiver Peaks. I love Eye of the North. Can’t wait to go back there.

I might have just forgotten, but weren’t there actual physical reports from the Kurzicks and Luxons themselves about changes to the Jade Sea and Echovold Forest during Winds of Change? I seem to remember them talking to us about it, about how killing Shiro again somehow redirected The Jade Wind.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Wanted to share this humorous post from Colin in the Reddit forums:

lookodisapproval

Anything that comes out of Colin’s mouth basically has to be taken with a large amount of salt, though, so it’s no surprise no one paid that any mind.

ArenaColin

Yeah you can’t trust that guy, I heard he doesn’t even know what Cantha is!

http://www.reddit.com/user/ArenaColin

Edit – added dialogue he responded to

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

GW1 released factions even though the game was available in a lot of asian countries. Panda’s were originally a charmable pet but had to be removed due because of cultural issues, but apart from that there weren’t any problems.

What’s wrong with Pandas?

FlamingFoxx.1305

Oh, there’s nothing wrong with Panda’s, but there were huge cultural issues over having Pandas in game that could be killed. Apparently China did not allow for the representation of dead endangered species, though Panda’s were added back into the game in later years after it was closed in most/all Asian regions.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Oh, you didn’t mention the killing part before. LOL I couldn’t figure out why a Panda pet was bad.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Haha sorry my bad :P

Posted by: larv.3456

larv.3456

Wtb portal to House zu Heltzer or Cavalon

Posted by: Risensoul Shockwave.1564

Risensoul Shockwave.1564

Factions was my absolute favorite and all they have to do is keep the basic landscape but of course make it 250 years in the future and have the Tengu race take over instead of the Asian architecute. Mix it with something so it feels somewhat the same but unique..maybe Mayan design for example. Keep the music…its beautiful and will still have the feel of Factions. The end. Why is this a big issue…their is always someone who is so offended by something all the other themes were similar to other cultures. Taking Factions away from the next continent would be ridiculous and not needed with the original ideas that be edited a little by Arenanet. They have always done an amazing job and i’m sick and tired of people complaining. Arenanet can do it just like I said above and it would be amazing…just like they did an amazing job with GW2 so far 250 years in the future.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Mayan and Aztec architecture was an insipration for the Asura’s architecture – so that’s a no go…

I also don’t think having the Tengu take over makes sense. They all migrated to the Dominion of Winds, that is their home now, I don’t think they would want Cantha considering how they were treated. Not to mention Cantha isn’t even necessarily the home land of the Tengu. The Tengu came from all over the world – Tyria, Cantha and Elona (an NPC in GW2 says Elona, so I guess we have to believe them even though we never saw them there)

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I can live without Cantha. But I can’t live without Elona, Eye of the North and Crystal Desert. More snow and sand areas pls.

Muh snows and sands ; _ ;

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Such thread,
much disappoint,
wow.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Has the potential art for the Echovald Forest been discussed in this thread?

Such potential! I loved the eery dark gothic feel it had, I’m realizing how strange that statement is. It was such a unique an interesting area in Guild Wars. Maybe a more gothic Pale tree could be there!!!

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

2148 replies can’t be wrong.
Give us Cantha!

But yes, Shockwave, would be awesome to see Echovald Forest again, or even the Jade Sea… think, could it return to liquid form, or would it still be frozen still… maybe return to its normal form as a monumental transformation that occurs in the PS-part of a return to Cantha…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Or the new Emperor could have ordered the cities to be rebuilt, or Bubbles could have destroyed a part of the continent and the united factions could have rebuilt it with a mix of their own architecture… There are endless possiblities than just “nuh-oh, ni Asian mix”. Also, if Cantha were to be totally inaccessible, they could have said “it was destroyed/flooded” and voilà, we’re left with only our eyes to cry.

BUT they chose not to remove anything related to Canth, for example “the only proof that Cantha still exists are sporadic sailors washing ashore on the Tarnished Coast” (from the wiki), or the fact that Zhaitan was partly responsible for the cut communications. Also, this tread still exist and wasn’t closed for any generic reason like “not gonna go back” “does not exist” or whatsoever.

I still have hope that, someday, we will go back to Cantha and there is always a solution regarding the controversy the NCSoft guy brought. Let us let them think a bit about that one, I’m sure we will find something.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Shew.6827

Shew.6827

FOLKS,

that_shaman data-mined some Canthan items. Whether they’re for Dragon Bash or Cantha-related, or both, we don’t know, but time to refresh this hype!

EDIT: Yes, most likely related to pre-existing living world content, such as Dragon Bash or Zephyr Sanctum, but at least there’s some* connection to Cantha! :-P

(edited by Shew.6827)

VergilDeZaniah.3295

• faints*
    15characters

Son of Elonia.