The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

It’s because Arena Net knows people want Cantha, and instead of actually making it, they’re releasing “Cantha” looking gem store items.

I hate to say it, but I think you’re right. They do seem to do whatever they can as cheaply as possible, and have an angle involving gem sales.

Somehow “We want Cantha” gets translated into “We want to buy Canthan-themed stuff from the store, and if we have that, then you don’t actually have to spend resources and time developing Cantha.”

Of course, you can substitute the word “Cantha” for…..

What bothers me to the core is that there seems to be enough people willing to spend loads and loads of cash in the gem store to encourage this – they’ve worked out that they can make money without actually making a game…

Which sucks for those who want a game…

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

bump

Y’all noticing there’s been a slight increase in Canthan related items recently? The Assassin outfit.. DEFINITELY the Ancestral outfit.. Belinda’s katana.. and the violins in the new soundtrack sound eerily similar to some of the music from Factions (the low strung violins, almost hum-like). You can hear it towards the beginning of the Dry Top song. Maybe it’s just an odd coincidence as violins are obviously very frequently used in a lot of songs unrelated to Cantha, but it’s definitely a familiar style of sound that was used a lot in Factions. There’s still hope! :P

It’s because Arena Net knows people want Cantha, and instead of actually making it, they’re releasing “Cantha” looking gem store items.

all hope is lost.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Still one of the few who believe Cantha(or a expansion) is a background project and will be revealed in the future, that’s why they’ve been releasing the Canthan themed releases and hints (The Zephyrites who last visited Cantha) same as menhlo referencing Cantha in Proph and Methu the Wise referencing Utopia.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Still one of the few who believe Cantha(or a expansion) is a background project and will be revealed in the future, that’s why they’ve been releasing the Canthan themed releases and hints (The Zephyrites who last visited Cantha) same as menhlo referencing Cantha in Proph and Methu the Wise referencing Utopia.

Because the Canthan themed gem items couldn’t possibly have anything to do with their new Chinese player base?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: FirebrandFrog.7603

FirebrandFrog.7603

Because the Canthan themed gem items couldn’t possibly have anything to do with their new Chinese player base?

Even more of a reason to release Cantha, then!

Briar Stoneheart, 80 Warrior | Erik Haptem, 80 Necromancer
(currently leveling: a Mesmer, an Engineer, and a Guardian)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m completely fine if they rename Cantha to China. Just give it to us!!!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: FirebrandFrog.7603

FirebrandFrog.7603

I’m completely fine if they rename Cantha to China. Just give it to us!!!

That technically wouldn’t be correct, thougjh, what with all the Japanese, Korean, and European influences that Cantha has. It’d be like calling Elona “the Sahara”.

Briar Stoneheart, 80 Warrior | Erik Haptem, 80 Necromancer
(currently leveling: a Mesmer, an Engineer, and a Guardian)

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

WE WANT CANTHA!

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i want my precursor!

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

2 years and 46 pages later. Hanging in there!

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Chuo.4238

I think I’ll enjoy Cantha as long as the Guild Wars servers are still running. I’ve completely lost interest in however ArenaNet will probably ruin Cantha for GW2. As it is, I feel no connection between GW and GW2. Them adding Cantha to GW2 will be no better than a bad sequel to a bad B movie…

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I have nothing to add,im just writing to keep this tread on first page. Cantha <3

This thread shall never die. It wil become a legend.

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

bump

Y’all noticing there’s been a slight increase in Canthan related items recently? The Assassin outfit.. DEFINITELY the Ancestral outfit.. Belinda’s katana.. and the violins in the new soundtrack sound eerily similar to some of the music from Factions (the low strung violins, almost hum-like). You can hear it towards the beginning of the Dry Top song. Maybe it’s just an odd coincidence as violins are obviously very frequently used in a lot of songs unrelated to Cantha, but it’s definitely a familiar style of sound that was used a lot in Factions. There’s still hope! :P

This is common business sense : your audience wants something you cannot/do not want to do.
Solution : give them a substitute and charge for it.

You do not like this attitude ? Hold your wallet friend!

Back on topic, I’d like to see the aspect cristals in kaineng city : think of all the jumping possibilities.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Chuo.4238

I have nothing to add,im just writing to keep this tread on first page. Cantha <3

This thread shall never die. It wil become a legend.

There’s already a thread that’s many times bigger than this one, and it only took a couple months, not years, to get so big. It got so legendary they locked it. Dare I link it?

Oh what the hell…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/first#post698726

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

I think I’ll enjoy Cantha as long as the Guild Wars servers are still running. I’ve completely lost interest in however ArenaNet will probably ruin Cantha for GW2. As it is, I feel no connection between GW and GW2. Them adding Cantha to GW2 will be no better than a bad sequel to a bad B movie…

I don’t know whether to feel moved that I’m not alone with this sentiment, or sad that someone else would also rather go through the torment of never seeing Cantha again just to save her from the vandalism and desecration ANCSofet would bring to her.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I hope they keep with the idea of new zones having special mechanics unique to each zone. Some jumping would be cool in those area of Kaineng with tall buildings.

Here’s an idea for a Kaineng zone:

- Lots of streets between tall buildings (you can’t reach the top of these)
- You navigate through the streets among crowds of friendly NPCs.
- Some streets have rail tracks for small steam trains that block traffic or run you over, so you have to watch out. (environmental hazard)
- No hostile enemy mobs initially.
- Instead, some NPCs turn hostile randomly as you pass by them. They are thieves and assassins trying to mug you.
- Dynamic Event: A thief is running from a police official and you can help catch the thief.
- Dynamic Event: A citizen is being harassed by Jade Brotherhood thugs.
- Dynamic Event: A riot has broken out against the oppressive city guards.
- Dynamic Event: A building under construction is in danger of collapsing due to shoddy masonry. You can help fix the building.

Map mechanic: Helpful citizen, or mischievous thug. By participating in certain activities, you can either raise favor with the guards, or you can raise favor with the criminal gangs.

- Raise your guard favor by helping them stop crimes. You get access to defensive stat gear vendors and “guard themed” armor skins. However you will be more likely to be mugged.

- Or you can raise favor with the gangs by helping them harass citizens and steal things. They give you access to some unique “criminal looking” gear skins and you will be less likely to be attacked by thieves and muggers.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

This thread shall never die. It will become a legend.

Maybe it’s more popular than the game itself. :P

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

well, it took them just as long to make GW2 in the first place, let’s see 3 years later.

wouw.5837

well, it took them just as long to make GW2 in the first place, let’s see 3 years later.

According to the ‘making of’ book of gw2 it took them most of the time to buff the engine and get the mechanics right, they made all the maps in 2 years time.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Colin is hiding something from us. Even the Devs I play with in game aren’t talking. Hmmmmmmmmmm…

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Cantha will be released the day this thread reaches 10,000 posts.

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Ok doing my part for Cantha!

Smooth Penguin.5294

For Cantha!!!!

Posted by: Booey Bubblehead.4890

Booey Bubblehead.4890

There is always so much chat in game about people wanting Cantha brought back to the game and I honestly have to say I don’t understand why.

In my opinion, in Guild Wars, the Canthan humans you could create were the least physically attractive in terms of their features which seemed to be over exaggerated. Of course this is personal taste as with everything in the game world.

Additionally, I did not care for the map areas of Cantha, especially the more urban type areas where one could get lost for hours and never make any progress except for going in circles and becoming really aggravated while doing so. I not so affectionately referred to these areas as the rooftops and it seemed I was forever lost in the rooftops not making any progress.

Guess I don’t personally see the attachment players have to Cantha.

(edited by Booey Bubblehead.4890)

Posted by: serapheles.5409

serapheles.5409

There is always so much chat in game about people wanting Cantha brought back to the game and I honestly have to say I don’t understand why.

In my opinion, in Guild Wars, the Canthan humans you could create were the least physically attractive in terms of their features which seemed to be over exaggerated. Of course this is personal taste as with everything in the game world.

Additionally, I did not care for the map areas of Cantha, especially the more urban type areas where one could get lost for hours and never make any progress except for going in circles and becoming really aggravated while doing so. I not so affectionately referred to these areas as the rooftops and it seemed I was forever lost in the rooftops not making any progress.

I really only liked Cantha towards the beginning, when it was released, and the end, with Winds of Change. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to it being released, but I would much prefer to see new areas of our current continent or Elona. Additionally, I feel it would be a bit odd for them to release Cantha anytime soon. I assume we will take care of Mordy soon, but that leaves the Norn with Jormag and the Charr with Kralk as somewhat immediate problems (and I suppose the Asura with Primordius, but I don’t really feel like they care about him right now).

The Random Number Gods are nothing if not predictable.
Crafting is designed for gear accessibility, not profit.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Cantha had Alliance Battles, and allowed alliances to own towns. One of the many reasons we want it back.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I suspect Arena.net hasn’t said anything (and will continue staying mum) because they’re holding out hope they’ll be able to find a happy medium in the future so that NCSoft will give the green light for a Canthan expansion (or living story seasons).

But at the same time, they don’t want to express that desire only to never get that green light and just disappoint everyone more than they already are. Gotta remember, Arena.net’s been raked over the coals plenty of times by this very community for stating intentions that they weren’t able to deliver on.

Saying “We have every intention of going back to Cantha” and then not being able to would result in the worst blowback they’ve ever received, and I think we all know it.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Rumors have it that the remaining Zephyr airships circled back and headed directly to Cantha for safety. If this is the case, I demand Anet allow me to accompany them as a guard. You know, to protect them from rogue siege turtles and juggernauts.

Posted by: Raykon.7908

Raykon.7908

As annoying as running through the mazes of buildings could be, cantha had a beautiful and unique style that differentiated itself a lot more than the other campaigns did.

There were so many limitations when designing cantha due to the old game engine and it still turned out beautiful, even with the inherent limitations. That’s exactly why i would like to see cantha return, it’s full of so much potential that could now be opened up thanks to the new game engine. Can you imagine how much more fun navigation would ve with the new vertical axis? The new game engine would be able to fix the issues that existed and turn it into an amazingly fun new place to explore.

Posted by: Domzz.1260

Domzz.1260

Personally, I absolutely LOVED these areas. I genuinely hope that they will one day surface in GW2. Has anyone heard any developer discussion surrounding these topics?

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

Yes, they said they are not going to make them for gw2.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

They have not said “yes” OR “no”, contrary to what Trixie says. Reports is that Cantha hasn’t been able to get the green light from NCSoft (claimed reason is they don’t want to offend Asian markets like China). Elona simply hasn’t been commented on at all other than general “we’d love to go to all the places in GW1 yadda yadda.”

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

As annoying as running through the mazes of buildings could be, cantha had a beautiful and unique style that differentiated itself a lot more than the other campaigns did.

There were so many limitations when designing cantha due to the old game engine and it still turned out beautiful, even with the inherent limitations. That’s exactly why i would like to see cantha return, it’s full of so much potential that could now be opened up thanks to the new game engine. Can you imagine how much more fun navigation would ve with the new vertical axis? The new game engine would be able to fix the issues that existed and turn it into an amazingly fun new place to explore.

I have to say, if for some miraculous reason a-net ever does release Cantha in GW2, it wil be THE most beautiful thing in a video game, ever.

Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Maybe in an expansion pack, if one ever comes out.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’m hoping Elona gets the same treatment it got in Guild Wars (i.e. zones running from level 1 to level cap, a racial capital, Elonians as a playable race complete with a fully developed Personal Story, Elonian Cultural Weapons & Armor, etc). There’s not a chance in hell I’m going to get my wish, but that’s what I’m wanting to see.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Blizzard released MoP to appeal to Chinese market. And here NCSoft don’t wan’t to offend Chinese market by releasing Cantha. Okay.

PS. If those rumours are true ofc.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Anyone care to explain why asians would get offended? GW1 did an amazing job with Factions, and Nightfall, which included asian and african cutlure. Most MMOs do a terrible job at representing different cultures, but GW1 was an exception.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

The NCsoft statement was around two years ago. None have any information about Anet’s plans at the moment however an expansion is indeed awaited during 2015 and I doubt an expansion would work out if it isn’t introducing a new continent, the question is..which?!

Azhure.1857

The NCsoft statement was around two years ago. None have any information about Anet’s plans at the moment however an expansion is indeed awaited during 2015 and I doubt an expansion would work out if it isn’t introducing a new continent, the question is..which?!

Not sure about that.

There is still so very much of Tyria left to explore, that needs to be opened up to us. If you consider the time it takes for them to open up a fraction of a new map… I don’t expect them to be done with Tyria in a year…. or even 2 years… hell not even 3 years. Granted they still could offer access to another continent and still introduce small areas of Tyria through LS while we’re exploring a whole new region…. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

They are teasing us a lot with the recent Episodes, though.

We have Majory`s family and some Zephyrites shown deliberatly with Canthan background, to the point we got Canthan festival clothing, Ninja outfits and the possibility to get an Katana in the future.

Then S2E2 has several Kourna (Elona) references, by bringing one of the expedition team who tells us about his Kourna ancestors and some documents by Varesh Ossa, about the centaurs in Kourna.

Coincidence or just plain fan-service? You decide

Azhure.1857

We have Majory`s family and some Zephyrites shown deliberatly with Canthan background, to the point we got Canthan festival clothing, Ninja outfits and the possibility to get an Katana in the future.

Please remember that ArenaNet just had a new child.

Its name is China.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I’m pretty sure the Sun will explode before we ever see Cantha or Elona again.

Hell we’ll be lucky to kill all the dragons before then.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

wouw.5837

Anyone care to explain why asians would get offended? GW1 did an amazing job with Factions, and Nightfall, which included asian and african cutlure. Most MMOs do a terrible job at representing different cultures, but GW1 was an exception.

Apparently Asians hate having their cultures mixed up by western people, they also dislike each other in the same way European countries used to.

Don’t tell a south Korean chef you like his sushi.

Or so I have heard ( I am not an expert).

And factions was such a mix of cultures, so NC-soft (A S-Korean company) is afraid it might offend some people (or it might offend some high placed dude at NC-Soft and that’s why we don’t get Cantha)

+ I don’t get why we don’t get Elona.

-Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

the story about Cantha being removed changed so much over the years…. for starters it wasnt even about Cantha but rather divinity’s reach had a Canthan district and thats what been removed. Not just that but what was said was that it wasnt removed because it offended Asian’s but because a focus group didnt like a western style city mixed with an Asian style district.

But anyway looking at the game is enough to realize ncsoft have no issue with asian style content… Kodan sanctuaries, The zepherites, Labyrinthine cliffs are all asian art style and there was no issue for ncsoft for that.

My personal theory is this was nothing more then a focus group who didnt like the idea of something like a little (Asian) like district.

So yeah I do think eventually we’ll get Cantha or Elona.

Posted by: Spyrielle.7153

Spyrielle.7153

I don’t think at the moment anyone could make a logical prediction about which might be next for an expansion. There are the rest of the elder dragons, but I have a feeling we might see Mordremoth in this season of Living Story, and I feel like the only way we could get a unique experience fighting another elder dragon is if we fought the deep sea dragon, which seems logical.

And then you have Elona which is blocked off by the Desert Gates, so there honestly could be anything behind there, personally I would LOVE to see something re-involving the 6 Gods and maybe even Abaddon making a comeback which would be awesome.

Lastly there are the Tengu/Cantha, so I do have a feeling that they’re going to incorporate the Tengu sometime soon if they do make Cantha open in GW2 which would still be cool, as long as they dont make it as fast as Factions was.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

I never played GW1 and I’m sick of Cantha already with all these threads about it.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Please remember that ArenaNet just had a new child.

Its name is China.

Sure, but as much as they avoided going into these topics in the past (or if it was there, it was spread so thin, that it didn`t even matter that much), it is kinda interesting being bombarded by so many references now.

Like I said. Maybe it is just fan-service and nothing else.
Maybe it is just to apeal to their china audience (though the armor they released a few months back with the insect and rouge theme make a little bit more sense now… not enough to warrant their existence, but hey… armor, you know…).

We do not know and we have to see.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Blizzard released MoP to appeal to Chinese market. And here NCSoft don’t wan’t to offend Chinese market by releasing Cantha. Okay.

The big difference there is that NCSoft (who owns Anet) is Asian and Blizzard is not….

The choice to make game content that could be offensive to an Asian market would be VERY different between a US based and Korean based company.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

The big difference there is that NCSoft (who owns Anet) is Asian and Blizzard is not….

The choice to make game content that could be offensive to an Asian market would be VERY different between a US based and Korean based company.

Blizzard had to jump through hurdles to get China to accept MoP.

Basically what it boils down to is one Asian culture or another has dominated the continental area at one given point in history or another, depending on what culture was ascendant at the time. Particularly as a result of the occupation of Japan during WWII in most areas, China and Korea are now wary of having their cultures homogenized with Japanese culture by the western world, since that was attempted within memorable history and is still a very sore subject (understandably) by a lot of the elders of their respective society. Basically Japan attempted to erase culture much like Germany attempted to for Europe, and they don’t want western societies to implement sterotypes or representation that makes China and Korea look like “generic Asian area 50987”

On a side note, if you haven’t seen Monument Men, it’s fantastic and you should really watch it.

(edited by Calys Teneb.7015)

Posted by: Gdb.3492

Gdb.3492

Maybe was better if they would have never made Guild Wars 2. So at least we could have seen Guild Wars Utopia.